Pineapple Chunk Lovin

by HEAB on May 31, 2010

Do you remember Chunk from The Goonies? He will always hold a special place in my .

chunk.jpg

Haha - The Truffle Shuffle.

Loved Chunk back in the day, but these days I am loving on some other chunks…namely pineapple!

Low carb gluten free waffles with goat milk yogurt, blueberries, pineapple, and syrup.

I’m not a big tropical fruit eater, but ever since Polly shared her love of pineapple upside down cake with us, I’ve had pineapple on the brain.

Yesterday, after an hour long hike, I fixed myself a big salad consisting of romaine, tempeh roasted in The Ginger People’s Ginger Peanut Sauce, raw cashews, Annie’s Honey Mustard Vinaigrette, and pineapple.

I awoke this morning and debated between savory waffles and an omelet for breakfast. The omelet won, however, I was craving pineapple as well. Well, people eat Hawaiian pizza, so why not a Hawaiian omelet?

Ham, goat cheese, and pineapple omelet with a toasted EarthGrains thin bun with apple butter. Perfect!

Happy Memorial Day my friends. How are you gong to celebrate? CD and I are going to a our annual cookout/Memorial Day Horseshoe Tournament this afternoon – I can’t wait. I love firing up the grill with a bunch of friends. Enjoy your day, and don’t forget through today, all classes at YogaDownload are 40% if you use the coupon code, MemorialDay, at checkout.

Many thanks to all of those who have served our country, including my father and brother!

Jessica @ How Sweet May 31, 2010 at 9:14 am

Oh how I loved the Goonies, too.

I got some deliciously sweet pineapple a few weeks ago. I am really enjoying it with greek yogurt and some coconut!

Cara May 31, 2010 at 9:16 am

Wow awesome Hawaiian omelet idea!!

Megan May 31, 2010 at 9:25 am

Hmmm, I would never had thought about pineapple in an omelet. At first it sounds kinda gross, but the more I think about it, I bet it’s terrific. I’ve put other fruit into omelets so, yeah, why not pineapple?

Thanks for the shout out for all those that have served or are serving. My brother is currently serving and my dad and many of my uncles have done the same.

Heather Eats Almond Butter May 31, 2010 at 9:37 am

Megan, The pineapple omelet was so good. Don’t know why I hadn’t thought to that before, and many thanks to all your family members who have served our country! :)

Kelsey May 31, 2010 at 9:31 am

lol what a picture too, totally had me laughing right off the bat. wow pineapple is totally versatile, never wouldve though of it going good in an omelet! for sure, a tropical omelet <3

Kelly May 31, 2010 at 9:45 am

I LOVED The Goonies…what a great blast from the past!! :)

Justine May 31, 2010 at 10:00 am

The omlette looks wonderful!

eatmovelove May 31, 2010 at 10:27 am

Bless your father and brother.
And pineapple is sooo good !

caronae May 31, 2010 at 10:30 am

I’ve been obsessed with mango chunks lately. Frozen mango chunks. For real, they’re one of the best summer delicacies ever. Happy Memorial Day!

Evan Thomas May 31, 2010 at 11:12 am

Hawaiian pizza is/was my favorite. I think I’ve only scratched the surface in the multitude of savory dishes where pineapple belongs

Maren May 31, 2010 at 11:13 am

Your waffles are looking amazing! I’m putting a waffle iron on my list of “kitchen must haves”. I don’t really like pineapple either, maybe I’ll have to try some upside down cake?.

Tabitha May 31, 2010 at 11:31 am

You are such a creative eater, I wish you could prepackage meals and mail them to me!

Heather Eats Almond Butter May 31, 2010 at 3:55 pm

Tabitha, I totally would if I could. :)

brittac May 31, 2010 at 12:17 pm

Your hawiian omlet gets the amazing omlet of the day award – yum.

annecalista May 31, 2010 at 12:18 pm

Your omelet and waffles both look amazing. I love pineapple, fresh and dried!
The Goonies is one of my favorite childhood movies. I heard a rumor that they are re-making it with the ORIGINAL cast. Not sure if it’s true, but wouldn’t it be amazing?

Heather Eats Almond Butter May 31, 2010 at 4:05 pm

Annecalista, Yes, that would be amazing, but it might make me sad to see everyone so grown up. I wonder what they’re all doing these days, and whatever happened to Brandon?!? He was so cute!!!

Christopher Ian Hill May 31, 2010 at 1:32 pm

As you already know – I LOVE “The Goonies”! I am enjoying the new soundtrack CD that came out too! Have you checked out my photos of “The Goonies” Astoria, OR locations? I am standing right at that same house!

~Chris

Heather Eats Almond Butter May 31, 2010 at 4:04 pm

Chris – yes, I’ve seen your photos, but I didn’t know about the new CD. Will have to look into that. Happy Memorial Day!

Melissa May 31, 2010 at 1:39 pm

All your pineapple creations look GREAT! Nothing beats a fresh pineapple! I told DH that after G leaves for college (he is still in utero) I want to take a trip the next day to Hawaii where we can relax and pick fresh pineapples to eat everyday of our trip! He thinks I am crazy 1-that I am that obsessed with fresh pineapple 2-that I am already planning trips for AFTER our boys are out of the house! Hope you have a great time at the cookout!

Heather Eats Almond Butter May 31, 2010 at 4:03 pm

Melissa, We sounds a lot alike. I was already talking about our trip out to Colorado next summer wondering how on earth we will get out there with all the baby stuff and our 2 dogs, trying to calculate how long it would take Chris to do the drive solo if I flew out with the baby, and how would he pick me up at the airport with the dog crate in the back of our car…he’s like, *why are you thinking about all of this now. Let’s concentrate on having the kid first*. Guess he’s right, plenty of time to plan those future trips, but I appreciate the way you plan ahead. :)

Sarena (The Non-Dairy Queen) May 31, 2010 at 2:26 pm

We were just talking about the Goonies here last night…we are watching Lord of the Rings with the boys. We can only get through 1 1/2 at a time with them (or me for that matter). Love me some Sean Astin back then! I do love pineapple, but I have a problem with too much acid. I loved it with yogurt back in the day, but now I avoid it. Ever since you started on your pineapple craze, I have been thinking about the pineapple pudding my mom used to make for my grandfather. I actually liked it hot…so good! That may cut the acidity down for me. Why am I having your pregnancy cravings now?

We are just hanging out with family today. Tony took the boys to see Iron Man and now they are playing Modern Warfare. I am making our annual shi*t on a shingle for dinner. We don’t do the cookout thing for Memorial Day. Tony thinks this meal is more appropriate…I kind of agree.

Have fun with your friends! It’s raining here, so I hope it stays away from there for you!

Heather Eats Almond Butter May 31, 2010 at 4:00 pm

Sarena, SOS – I totally should have made that today. Must remember that next Memorial Day. How was the new Iron Man? I really liked the first one, and I love Robert Downey Jr.

Hot pineapple pudding? I’m intrigued. That sounds really good, and yes, Sean Astin is so cute. However, I had a huge crush on Mouth, and now Corey Feldman kind of grosses me out. He was much cuter back in the day. Now? Not so much.

saltytooth May 31, 2010 at 2:38 pm

I totally died laughing when I saw the photo of Chunk! Great movie!

Heather (Perspective Is Everything) May 31, 2010 at 2:50 pm

Goonies. Yes. I even have a Goonies T-shirt Jealous? ;)
Wow-pineapple omelette. You ARE pregnant, aren’t you!!? It doesn’t sound appetizing to me, but if it makes you happy, then DO THAT THANG!

Heather Eats Almond Butter May 31, 2010 at 3:57 pm

Heather, totally jealous. I would love a Goonies tshirt – that is awesome!

malpaz May 31, 2010 at 3:16 pm

wow i have never seen fruit in an omelet! i guess that sorta makes it like a crepe??

SO FUNNY you mention the goonies! oh my gosh i flipped out when i saw it on TV yesterday morning i was like holy throwback! use to watch that one all the time when i was young!

Heather Eats Almond Butter May 31, 2010 at 3:56 pm

Malpaz, Yeah, crepes are pretty eggy – so yes, I guess so. :)

lindsay May 31, 2010 at 3:55 pm

You never cease to amaze me with your creations! When we lived in Hawaii we livef off of payaya with goat milk yogurt and a little granola. Rarley had pineapple but now that we’re in TX I crave it all time. Kinda ironic, but hey, never go against your cravings, eh?
Happy Memorial Day!

Heather Eats Almond Butter May 31, 2010 at 4:07 pm

Lindsay, yes, listen to those cravings and go get yourself some pineapple! :)

bitesandbliss May 31, 2010 at 3:57 pm

I love pineapple!! But whenever I eat it I get little sores on the roof of my mouth. I heard it’s cause there’s some enzyme in them or something that so acidic it’s actually extracted and used as a meat tenderizer. weird, huh? Then again..maybe I was fibbed to lol

Heather Eats Almond Butter May 31, 2010 at 4:07 pm

No bitesandbliss, I’ve heard that as well. When I eat a lot the corners of my mouth start to burn. You’re not alone.

MarathonVal May 31, 2010 at 4:21 pm

Thank you to your dad and brother – they are much appreciated!

Jackie (Peaces of Earth) May 31, 2010 at 4:33 pm

I love the Goonies!!! We were watching it the other day and decided to see what Chunk was up to nowadays. I IMDBed him and am sad to say he is no longer chunky! haha

Heather Eats Almond Butter May 31, 2010 at 4:36 pm

Jackie, Yes, I saw a recent picture too – I miss my little Chunk. :)

KELLY May 31, 2010 at 4:51 pm

Heather,
I craved pineapple during my first pregnancy and had a girl! =)

Jenny May 31, 2010 at 4:58 pm

Though I have always hated the word “chunk”, Jeff Cohen in the Goonies is my one exception :) . That omelett is such a perfect hybrid of sweet and salty. Looks just lovely, miss Heather!

p.s. thank you so much for the e-mail response this afternoon. It helped me so much! You’re the best :)

Heather Eats Almond Butter May 31, 2010 at 5:01 pm

Anytime Jenny. :)

Sweet Cheeks May 31, 2010 at 5:15 pm

CHUNK!!!!! love love LOVE him…and that has got to be one of my all time favorite movies. I could watch it over and over again.

okay, I am definitely going to make that omelett…looks amazing!!

Barbara May 31, 2010 at 5:28 pm

I made the best faux crust/cracker snack thing! I did egg whites, pineapple, and cauliflower like when you rice it to make crusts etc. I sweetened it and added some protein and then baked it until dry (you could also pour onto a pan and let it become ‘crepe-like’ or dehydrated like Naan bread. I also pureed some with steamed cauli, cottage cheese, greek yogurt, protein powder and ate it like a pudding! SO good! I’ve made it with other fruits/veggies before but not pineapple! I am adding eggs today and will bake it in attempts to make a souffle! Try putting it in a pot/pan with a tiny bit of liquid (water, lemon juice, sf syrup, honey, maple syrup etc) and letting it caramelize! I HIGHLY recommend adding rhubarb, sweetener and berries! It is the BEST coulis, topping, marinade, chutney ever! And grilled pineapple! Thanks a lot Heather- now I’m craving pineapple and have to go get some! lol.

Heather Eats Almond Butter May 31, 2010 at 5:38 pm

Barbara, Please come to Nashville and make me all these yummy things – you are so freaking creative! P.S. I’ll make sure the Falafel Chips are stocked! ;)

Katherine: What About Summer? May 31, 2010 at 5:32 pm

if you look that actor up now, he has gotten pretty trim. biggest loser has had quite an influence on our nation

Heather Eats Almond Butter May 31, 2010 at 5:39 pm

Katherine, I know – I saw a recent picture. Definitely no longer my beloved Chunk. However, good for him!

Samantha May 31, 2010 at 5:42 pm

OH my what an omelet! I dearly love pineapple. YUM!

We had a low key memorial day. The husband is still deployed and has been extended so after getting that news, I sulked a bit, took care of a sick wee, and photographed family pix for a friend. And work, lots of work!

Krystina May 31, 2010 at 5:58 pm

That is the cutest waffle maker. I LOVE fresh pineapple. I’ll never buy Dole again knowing that fresh is so tasty and (sometimes) inexpensive.

homecookedem May 31, 2010 at 6:09 pm

LOVE the goonies!! :) Also LOVE pineapple… oh man there is nothing better than a really good fresh pineapple…mmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm!!

Heather Eats Almond Butter May 31, 2010 at 6:13 pm

Em, Totally thought of you with all my pineapple lovin this week. :)

Christopher Ian Hill May 31, 2010 at 6:34 pm

Hey Heather!

Well, they had an earlier soundtrack that came out in the 80′s but it was all of the pop music and only one orchestral score by Dave Grusin. I think the fan’s demanded a full score of Dave Grusin’s orchestral music and finally after 25 years it was released! It sounds fantastic too! I love the Fratelli Chase which was the opening music. Now, because it’s the 25th anniversary addition it’s a limited to only 5,000 copies. I got mine at amazon. I don’t think it is available in stores and it is N/A on iTunes.
Here’s a link: http://www.amazon.com/Goonies-Original-Score-Dave-Grusin/dp/B003BWDO20/ref=sr_1_fkmr1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1275352400&sr=1-1-fkmr1

Chris :)

Heather Eats Almond Butter May 31, 2010 at 7:10 pm

Cool – thanks Chris!

mayapamela May 31, 2010 at 7:53 pm

Hawaiian pineapple omelet! Brilliant. Fresh pineapple is so good.

wendy @ ABCs and Garden Peas May 31, 2010 at 8:09 pm

I love you, Chunk!

Chunks of date in my oats make me happy. I had chunks of pineapple this week, but they always make my tongue feel wierd! Must be all the acid.

I once found a chunk in my coffee. It wasn’t a good scene.

Heather Eats Almond Butter May 31, 2010 at 8:22 pm

Wendy, Yes, coffee chunkage, no good. :(

Anna May 31, 2010 at 8:10 pm

CHUNK!!!!! Yes!!! One of my all-time favorite characters :-)

Yummy combo!

Averie (LoveVeggiesAndYoga) May 31, 2010 at 8:59 pm

Hi Heather! So when i used to eat pizza, being GF, dairy free/vegan, i havent bothered w/ pizza in 5 yrs (but now that daiya is around, i may need to buy a GF crust mix) anyway…LOVE pineapple on pizza. you just made me miss it! Pineapple and the bromelian in it is such a lovely digestive enzyme and stomach settler; perhaps nature was calling out to you to eat pineapple for any morning/allday sickness issues. You know papaya can help too. I am sure this is not new info or anything for you :)

The comments and replying via email w/ a bcc to commenter. Even though I am on blogger, i have a 3rd party comment system installed and I have been able to post to my blog via my email and then bcc the person so they get it, too. And can i just say, you have seriously helped me (and my readers) so much with that tidbit. OMG thank you!!!

xo :)

Heather Eats Almond Butter May 31, 2010 at 9:03 pm

Averie, You’re so welcome. I wish more Wordpress bloggers realized the BCC feature. I should mention it on the blog. Yes, I heard about papaya supplements – a reader emailed me about them, saying they totally helped with her heartburn. Haven’t had to deal with any of that, but honestly, I do think the pineapple has helped me feel better. Love those big chunks. :)

Brynne May 31, 2010 at 9:15 pm

Gotta love Chunk and pineapple – I had some grilled today! Amazing!

BroccoliHut May 31, 2010 at 11:20 pm

That salad looks killer–cashews and pineapple were made for each other, in my opinion.

Sara @ Fro Yo Foodie June 1, 2010 at 1:06 am

I love the sweet/savory combination in omelets, but had never thought to add pineapple! Thanks for this fabulous idea! And goat cheese, in my opinion, is tasty with EVERYTHING. :)

Luna June 1, 2010 at 2:04 am

ohhh the goonies! I love this movie, was – ok maybe is!!- one of my favorite :) I also love pineapple, i put it in my green monsters and greek yogurt, but I can’t eat it very often ’cause it gives me some problems with my gums and tongue (maybe some light allergy?) ;)

Heather Eats Almond Butter June 1, 2010 at 7:46 am

Luna, A lot of people are bothered by too much fresh pineapple. I’ve heard it’s from all the acid. Goonies is one of my favorites too. :)

Lauren June 1, 2010 at 7:10 am

I think I’m the only person I know who hasn’t seen The Goonies… worth it? :)

Heather Eats Almond Butter June 1, 2010 at 7:47 am

Lauren, Yes, totally worth it – one of my all-time favorites!

Annie D. from Annie'sSimpleLife June 1, 2010 at 7:34 am

I have never put pineapple in an omelet!!! That’s too funny!!! I LOOOOVE pineapple and will seriously eat it on anything, so I’ll have to try this!!

brandi June 1, 2010 at 7:45 am

i love hawaiian pizza – this omelette sounds awesome!

And I totally put up a picture of the Truffle Shuffle this weekend, too :) The Goonies was on tv, and it’s one of my favorites!

holly (the healthy everythingtarian) June 1, 2010 at 7:48 am

two important reasons we should be friends in real life: pineapple and horseshoe tournaments.

Heather Eats Almond Butter June 1, 2010 at 7:51 am

Holly, Yes, too bad we don’t live in the same city, and you forgot to mention our mutual love of eggs. :)

juli June 1, 2010 at 8:13 am

Heather, what do you know about Jillian Michael’s whey protein powders? I was looking at the vanilla which is only 50 calories per scoop. I don’t want to lose weight, I just want something to add to smoothies and such for additional protein.

Heather Eats Almond Butter June 1, 2010 at 8:34 am

Juli, I didn’t even know Jillian sold a whey protein powder. Personally, I’m a Jay Robb girl – his whey was always my favorite, and the ingredients were great. I just looked up Jillian’s powder – you can order a 14 ounce tub for $10 online which is a great price. Jay Robb is much more pricey, and Jillian’s ingredients are good too. I’d say it’s worth a try!

Heather @ Get Healthy With Heather June 1, 2010 at 8:51 am

Hey what a great omelet idea! Now all I need to pick up is pineapple, ham and goat cheese hehe :)

thewhatkateateblog June 1, 2010 at 9:27 am

Pineapple is amazing. That Hawaiian inspired omelet looks incredible.

juli June 1, 2010 at 9:44 am

Thanks Heather for your reply, I might try it for a start. Thanks again! Have a Great Tuesday!!!

Heather June 1, 2010 at 10:18 am

pineapple is my FAVORITE favorite fruit ever :) i could probably eat it on just about anything!

jenna June 1, 2010 at 12:17 pm

Heather- you are a genius!! I LOVE pineapple and nothing sounds more appealing right now than a pineapple omlet!! YUM!

christina June 2, 2010 at 12:51 pm

hahah this post made me SO happy — i LOVE chunk! soooooo much.

Amanda On Foot June 3, 2010 at 9:29 am

That Hawaiian omelette is so creative! And it looks absolutely delish.

Amanda
amandaonfoot.blogspot.com

wendy @ ABCs and Garden Peas June 3, 2010 at 10:58 am

I didn’t lose my hair during my pregnancy, but I practically went bald when my son turned about 3 months! There’s so much growing back in now that I actually have bangs now that I never really wanted… I think that’s all hormonal.

Please watch your iron closely. Especially postpartum…I believe it’s one of the biggest problems women face after birth, but one of the most underdiagnosed. Dehydration, too. I had horrible crippling headaches for a while until I got that under control.

I thought about putting blackstrap molasses in my oats. Maybe that’s not a bad idea…

Heather Eats Almond Butter June 3, 2010 at 4:42 pm

Wendy,yeah my doctor told me today that a lot of women lose hair after the baby is born. So, I hope it doesn’t get worse postpartum, but good to know yours is growing back. Also, I’ve had the worst headache for the past 2 days…I’m thinking it might be my lack of water consumption. Water simply has no appeal to me, but I will do my best to drink more. Thanks for the advice!

Trysha June 25, 2010 at 11:30 am

I’m way behind on my google reader and just came across this post. Haha! I love Chunk! On the new Goonies DVD they have the cast commentary and all the kids came back to talk about the movie and the kid who played Chunk (whose name escapes me right now) talked about how he had Chicken Pox when he did this scene and he didn’t want the directors to know so they wouldn’t fire him.
Okay, that was a totally random, run-on sentence. Sorry. :)

Heather Eats Almond Butter June 25, 2010 at 11:40 am

Trysha, Really? I must get that new DVD. I would love to hear the cast commentary. Thanks for the heads up!