Savory Waffles

by HEAB on June 2, 2010

Last night’s dinner: Still loving on my Horsey Guac and ate some atop a big salad consisting of baby romaine, crushed blue tortilla chips, and peach mango salsa.

Then, this morning, I finally tried some savory waffles. OH.MY.GOSH. New favorite waffle!!!!

I have Ana to thank for this recipe. THANK YOU ANA! I simply made my coconut flour waffles, but left out the vanilla and added salt and pepper to the batter. After pouring the batter on my heated waffle iron, I added a few slices of cooked Trader Joe’s chicken sausage to each waffle along with a sprinkle of crumbled goat cheese. I served them with some salsa and enjoyed every last delicious bite. Seriously, try this now! You can make any waffle recipe savory. Simply omit the the sweet ingredients, and add your favorite herbs or spices. For a vegan version, use your favorite waffle batter, and add roasted tempeh instead of sausage and sprinkle with daiya cheese. Or, you could try veggies and cheese. Really, the possibilities are endless, and I think you will love. :)

OK, I need to do something active today as yesterday the only exercise I did consisted of laundry and cleaning our downstairs. Wait, who am I kidding – that’s a good workout! Perhaps, I’ll take a walk or do a little peanut butter flow yoga. We shall see.

Oh, and the winner of the Flip Camera is…Kelly.

Picture 1.png

Kelly, congrats! Please email me with your info, and your camera will be on its way.

How did you celebrate Waffle Wednesday this morning?

dmcgirl37 June 2, 2010 at 8:25 am

Those waffles look awesome! I want to go buy a waffle maker now ;)

Dana xx

Ilana June 2, 2010 at 8:34 am

Savory waffles? Ok, I might consider this. Might. No promises. I don’t know how I feel about a waffle without chocolate chips ;)

Heather June 2, 2010 at 8:35 am

sold…i’m making these asap! i’ve never tried savory waffles, but i can’t imagine how that could ever be wrong :)

Evan Thomas June 2, 2010 at 8:35 am

I had a brownie. not a waffle but damn good!

Jessica @ How Sweet June 2, 2010 at 8:36 am

I can’t do savory oats, but I think I can do savory waffles!

Tes June 2, 2010 at 8:44 am

I used to make fish waffle, and it’s kind of work! I love this recipe, it looks delicious.

homecookedem June 2, 2010 at 8:46 am

I’m not really feeling savory waffles right now, but I can tell you that I have eaten 2 low fat whole grain eggo waffles with a glass of orange juice every morning now for the past 2 weeks, haha! All your talk of eggo waffles awhile ago has me hooked. Well at least until I get a waffle iron! ;)

Heather Eats Almond Butter June 2, 2010 at 5:36 pm

Homecookedem, LOVE my waffle iron, but you better believe I still love my Eggos! :)

VeggieGirl June 2, 2010 at 8:47 am

Lovin’ that waffle creation!

Samantha Angela @ Bikini Birthday June 2, 2010 at 8:53 am

I’m usually pretty tired after cleaning the house, myself.

Run Sarah June 2, 2010 at 8:54 am

Both the salad and waffles look amazing! Daiya cheese, tempeh and waffles together sounds wonderful too. I may have to try that!

Stacie @ Imperfectly Healthy June 2, 2010 at 9:02 am

I’ve GOT to try that Horsey Guac! I love Arby’s Horsey Sauce and guacamole — has to be a good combo! :)

Evelyn June 2, 2010 at 9:03 am

Yum!! I am definitely more of a salty breakfast gal than a sweet breakfast gal. I wish I had a waffle-maker!

Kelsey June 2, 2010 at 9:05 am

i can see why theyre ur new fav waffle!! look how thick that bad boy is!! omg im quite obsessed actually- looks so fantastic!

and especially the salad too! the crunch with the salsa AHHH nom nom nom <3

Anna June 2, 2010 at 9:10 am

Yes– cleaning the house is the best workout! Especially in the summer…it gets me sweating! :-)

Yummy waffles!

saltytooth June 2, 2010 at 9:14 am

I am for sure making these waffles tomorrow!

Marina June 2, 2010 at 9:14 am

I have to try this recipe, maybe I’ll finally have some luck with the waffle maker :)
today I had my pre-exam breakfast, oats with chocolate, banana and pb. For luck :)

Runeatrepeat June 2, 2010 at 9:18 am

Savory waffles sound amazing, but I’m so stuck on waffles being a sweet thing I don’t know if my brain can handle it…

Sarena (The Non-Dairy Queen) June 2, 2010 at 9:19 am

YUM! I think I may have to celebrate Waffle Wednesday with a savory waffle and daiya. Great idea especially since I need to clean out the fridge before I leave tomorrow! Enjoy your yoga!

Annie D. from Annie'sSimpleLife June 2, 2010 at 9:27 am

Neat! Granted, I don’t eat meat, but it’s a great meal idea!!

Bethany June 2, 2010 at 9:29 am

I’m loving your waffle kick! I could read about waffles every day for the rest of my life! I especially like the idea of making waffles savory over the usual sweet.

Sara @ Fro Yo Foodie June 2, 2010 at 9:33 am

I love the savory waffle idea! I’ve been on a pancake kick, but your posts are tempting me to step into waffle world. :-)

I’ve never tried coconut flour…Is it interchangeable with regular flour?

Heather Eats Almond Butter June 2, 2010 at 5:44 pm

Sara, You can use other flours, but I would double the amount and use at least 1/4 cup. For some reason, with coconut flour, I can get away with using 2 TBSP, but if I use the same amount of other flours, the batter is too thin.

idreamoftahini June 2, 2010 at 9:34 am

Love your flavor combinations!!!

You know, I bet you come up with some of the best baby food flavors someday soon. I can see it now – HEAB baby food recipes!! Your baby is gonna love his/her momma!!

Heather Eats Almond Butter June 2, 2010 at 5:42 pm

Idreamoftahini, I can’t wait to make baby food. My Vita-Mix is going to get a lot of use!

anutritionisteats June 2, 2010 at 9:55 am

I didn’t think that savory waffles would sound appealing but they actually sound great! YUM!

Heather @ Get Healthy With Heather June 2, 2010 at 9:58 am

Savory waffles? Hello genious you! I’m on vacation next week and will totally take advantage of the extra time in the morning to make savory waffles :)

Susan June 2, 2010 at 10:10 am

Ahhhhh I NEEEED to make these!!! I usually just do egg wafflewiches for the savoury version, but I love the idea of throwing meat and cheese in there to press with the waffle too. This is why I heart you HEABie!

Unfortunately, my waffle maker is in Ottawa with my sister. It’s a long story as to why it’s there, let’s just say I can’t wait until I’m reunited with it in two weeks time :)

Jenn (GH) June 2, 2010 at 10:20 am

That salad looks delicious.

I don’t think I’ve ever had a waffle on a wednesday, at least, not intentionally. But I’ve also never drank a green monster either! :D Should try both!

sarah June 2, 2010 at 10:54 am

Never tried a savory waffle, but I will now, those sound great!

Danielle (Runs on Green) June 2, 2010 at 11:04 am

Congrats to Kelly!
I’m putting that super cute heart-shaped waffle maker on my birthday present list because I’m too poor to buy my own lol. But if I get it, I will be trying out savory waffles :D And sweet waffles, oat waffles, pumpkin waffles, banana waffles (*the ball is rolling*)

Natalie June 2, 2010 at 11:12 am

I have to get a waffle maker! and you make me want guac :)

Mama Pea June 2, 2010 at 11:13 am

Your savory waffles have me contemplating a waffle lunch. It’s still Wednesday, it counts! Have a good one, Mama HEAB!

snickerdoodle44 June 2, 2010 at 11:23 am

Time for me to try those waffles!~ mmmm! Look delicous! Ü

Shannon June 2, 2010 at 11:25 am

i think i will love that!! fabulous heab :)

Katie June 2, 2010 at 11:30 am

I’ve seen Rachel Ray make savory waffles, but was always a little skeptical. Now you’ve got my interest! Also, that salad with the chips looks like heaven. I might need to make that for lunch.

missyrayn June 2, 2010 at 11:34 am

Waffles are on the menu list this week. I think they are going to be savory instead of sweet thanks to this post. Hunni will love his with chicken sausage and I can use more of my yummy daiya cheese :-)

Ana June 2, 2010 at 11:53 am

Yay! I am so glad you liked it!!
I love savory waffles!! I add parmesan cheese to my batter sometimes, it makes it taste even more savory and cheesy, in a great way!
So happy you enjoyed it Heather!!

biz319 June 2, 2010 at 1:00 pm

Holy shit, chicken sausage, goat cheese and coconut waffles??!! That sounds amazing! I may have to steel that one!

I’ve always loved sweet/savory combos!

marshell y. Roper June 2, 2010 at 1:11 pm

I celebrated by working out at the GYM with my Zumba class!!

Karina Pinzon June 2, 2010 at 2:07 pm

Waffle Wednesday!? How did I miss this!? :O
Yours look incredibly tasty and so different! I have never used coconut flour or made savory waffles. I might have to try it now though…. :)

eatmovelove June 2, 2010 at 2:35 pm

Gah ! You are starting a trend Ms. HEAB. Looks delish!

Congrats to Kelly – she had a good answer hah :)

Kelly June 2, 2010 at 2:44 pm

Savory waffles are awesome!!!

bitesandbliss June 2, 2010 at 3:24 pm

Savory oats are a huge hit so I can see why savory waffles would be too!

Hayley @ Breath of Fire June 2, 2010 at 4:07 pm

Another delicious-looking HEABification. I love crepes stuffed with savory toppings, so why not a waffle?

julie June 2, 2010 at 5:27 pm

santa barbs peach mango is a staple in my house. for real we buy the good stuff in BULK. gahh i want a waffle maker!!

Heather Eats Almond Butter June 2, 2010 at 5:39 pm

Julie, I am going through a Costco sized container about once a week. That is the best salsa ever made – I love eating it straight from the container with a spoon. Just restocked today. So good on EVERYTHING!

spabettie June 2, 2010 at 6:13 pm

oh, these look delicious! I used to make sandwiches with waffles as bread and people’d look at me funny. :) they didn’t know what they’re missing!

I haven’t done a savory waffle in a while, maybe I’ll have to start enjoying waffle wednesday next week. or tomorrow. ;)

Pure2raw twins June 2, 2010 at 8:24 pm

I am not much of a waffle person, but these savory ones sound devine!!

And thanks for the nutella recipe, we love it!

rebecca lustig June 2, 2010 at 8:35 pm

i LOVE peach mango salsa.. actually i love any kind of salsa..

once i made a ‘fire/ice’ watermelon salsa.. it was pretty ballin.

enjoy yoru night xo

Melissa S. June 2, 2010 at 9:54 pm

savory waffles are probably as great as savory oatmeal! i love mine with marinara and morningstar crumbles! and broccoli! nom nom!

Jackie (Peaces of Earth) June 2, 2010 at 10:35 pm

I love turning normally sweet things into savory, those waffles sound awesome!!

BroccoliHut June 2, 2010 at 10:50 pm

Ever since I tried savory oatmeal, I am all for “savorizing” traditionally sweet breakfast foods. Must try this!

Kelsey @ CleanTeenKelsey June 2, 2010 at 11:01 pm

Ahh, I’m going to have to try these. Savory pancakes worked, so why not savory waffles, right? Now if only I could get over my morning sweet tooth… lol. :P

annecalista June 3, 2010 at 3:14 am

Wow. Those waffles look and sound amazing!!

lena June 3, 2010 at 3:14 am

Haven’t stopped by lately and seems I missed some big news…. congrats! So excited for you! BTW sonic ice rocks my world.

Heather Eats Almond Butter June 3, 2010 at 9:45 am

Thanks lena. :)

A @ Please Don't Eat Me! June 3, 2010 at 6:59 am

hmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm…. interesting.. ive never thought of savory waffles.. but the idea of sausage WITH waffles sounds good. maybe with some maple syrup baked in too- to make it sweet and savory.. mmm, making myself hungry..
im sorry i missed the Flip cam giveaway, but i LOVE what you would do with your TV… poor baby!! i had a dog who was scared of thunder, she would hide in our beds, and at 90 pounds, its was not easy for her to jump into bed with us.. lol

Alisa June 3, 2010 at 4:10 pm

Oh yum!

I didn’t even realize it was waffle wednesday, but I did feed my husband “toaster oat waffles” that I froze from yesterdays fresh batch. I had a smoothie though :)

{ 1 trackback }