A New Morning Beverage

by HEAB on June 7, 2010

Happy Monday my friends. Hope everyone’s week is off to a good start. I finally got a decent night’s rest, and I feel so much better…although I am so sore from yoga yesterday (but, I love that feeling!) A lot of you mentioned that you have struggled with anemia and low iron levels as well, and so I thought I’d post an entire day of iron-filled eats, starting with my breakfast. Again, I really do believe the body can heal itself when given the nutrition it needs, but I’m also a fan of tasty food. I’m not the girl who will choke down a disgusting muddy/gritty smoothie in the name of health. Nope, I like to enjoy my food…but I know a lot of food that I love most people would probably find unappetizing. In fact, many of the things I eat now would have totally grossed me out when I was younger. Have you found that your food likes/dislikes have evolved over the years? Funny how our taste buds change, no? OK, so anyway, onto my breakfast…

Goat milk cheese omelet, strawberries, and baked chicken livers (yes, I like them :) ).

I gave up coffee a while back, before I even found out I was pregnant, and have been drinking hot chocolate every morning. However, today, I tried something new.

I heated about 2 cups of unsweetened almond milk on the stove-top and then stirred in 1 TBSP of Blackstrap molasses. The molasses on its own tasted a bit funky, kind of bitter actually, but I really liked it with the almond milk. It tasted like a big mug of caramel flavored milk.

Now, I know that calcium inhibits the absorption of iron, and so the goat cheese probably wasn’t the best idea, but it’s just so good melted in an omelet! Also, I noticed that my almond milk is fortified with calcium. So, if I drink it with the molasses, is the iron in the molasses even doing me any good? I sure hope so because I really enjoyed this combo! I guess I could start making my own almond milk again. Yes, I think that’s what I shall do. :)

OK, off to begin my day.

Question: What’s a food you wouldn’t have touched 10 years ago, but now you love it?

Heather (Perspective Is Everything) June 7, 2010 at 9:43 am

The chicken livers actually look like chocolate! :D
10 years ago I wouldn’t have touched avocadoes…..I was a fat-phobic.
Now-I need several a week just to function!

Jenn (GH) June 7, 2010 at 9:48 am

I have a bottle of black strap molasses in my cupboard that I’ve been trying to use in different ways. I may have to try it in a glass of milk.

10 years ago? I was living on cans of tuna, lima beans, and TONS of junk food. Odd combo.

Jessica @ How Sweet June 7, 2010 at 9:51 am

Pasta! I used to hate it. I really still don’t like tomato sauce, but I can do pasta now. :)

amsterwill83 June 7, 2010 at 9:56 am

10 years ago? Tomatoes… and coconut! LOVE them now :-)

Amanda (WannaBe Chef)

Heather June 7, 2010 at 9:58 am

mmmmmm…onions for sure…i used to think i hated them, but i use them in everything now! so so so GOOD :)

Stefanie June 7, 2010 at 10:01 am

I used to hate mushrooms and tomatoes. Now I eat them almost everyday.

j June 7, 2010 at 10:03 am

I *think* Pacific brand almond milk contains 0% daily value of calcium. I know this because I specifically avoid it since I need that calcium, but it might work well for you since it wouldn’t inhibit iron absorption.

Heather Eats Almond Butter June 7, 2010 at 11:41 am

J, thanks for the info. Too bad Almond Breeze tastes so much better. The Pacific brand is kind of funky.

Shelly June 7, 2010 at 10:18 am

Most of my favorite foods are ones I used to strongly dislike- oatmeal, sweet potatoes, cranberry sauce, and Brussels sprouts spring to mind.

caronae June 7, 2010 at 10:40 am

The molasses drink sounds god :) Ten years ago I wouldn’t have touched dark chocolate (I know, what was I thinking?!?!?) or brussel sprouts or peppers or whole wheat pasta. Now I love them all!

Josie June 7, 2010 at 10:53 am

i used to dislike coconut. then, one day a switch turned on, and i still can’t get enough of coconut anything.

after i switched to dark chocolate i found milk chocolate to be less like chocolate and more like sugar.

jacob c June 7, 2010 at 11:06 am

Oysters, sardines, shrimp, lobster, etc..
Used to hate seafood, now i can’t get enough!

Now livers is something i never liked, and can guarantee you i will never like, ha!

I don’t think calcium inhibits the absorbtion of heme iron, just non-heme iron..? So nothing wrong with livers and goat cheese..

Heather Eats Almond Butter June 7, 2010 at 11:45 am

Jacob, I was the same way. I dreaded fish, shrimp, or lobster night at my house. My dad grew up in Maine, and LOVES lobster. I was the only one in my family who did not like it. Now, I love all seafood…’cept raw oysters. Oh my gosh, can’t do it. However, canned oysters…now those are good!

Katherine: What About Summer? June 7, 2010 at 11:09 am

molasses? cleaver brand name at least!

I used to die at the sight of broccoli (exaggeration; I’m still very much alive) but now believe I would die without it

Katie June 7, 2010 at 11:11 am

I used to run from bananas and coconut – I just hated the taste! And 10 years later…well, I just ate them together for breakfast. :-)

Kelsey June 7, 2010 at 11:21 am

Hummus! I use to not be able to even smell the stuff without gagging but now I eat it almost every day! Mmmmmmm….

VeggieGirl June 7, 2010 at 11:25 am

Mine is Greek yogurt :-D

Samantha Angela @ Bikini Birthday June 7, 2010 at 11:26 am

Can you get unfortified Almond Milk? Or even make your own almond milk.

Heather Eats Almond Butter June 7, 2010 at 11:43 am

Samantha, Yes, I have a recipe for homemade almond milk that is super easy, and I’m going to make some again soon: http://heathereatsalmondbutter.com/recipes/almond-milk/

*Andrea* June 7, 2010 at 11:26 am

love your motto! i hate green monsters but i know theyre so popular on blogs but i can’t get used to them – so why force it!?

i must try the almond milk/molasses combo soon! i love your other hot cocoa-like concoctions

Ana June 7, 2010 at 11:26 am

I have never tried blackstrap molasses but learned on my nutrition classes that it indeed has lots of nutrients. I am not a fan of regular molasses, but people say the blackstrap tastes different (more bitter is what I have heard too!), maybe I should give it a go sometime!
10 years ago… I think I liked all the delicious food I still like, one thing I can think of that I didn’t enjoy when I was a kid and love now is arugula! I used to avoid saying it was bitter… later on I decided to try it again and now I just love arugula in my salads!

Bethany June 7, 2010 at 11:27 am

Wow, there are so many foods that I eat now but hated growing up. Mustard, mushrooms, eggs, fish, spinach, olives, yogurt… I was a fussy eater!

*Andrea* June 7, 2010 at 11:27 am

a food i wouldn’t have touched 10 years ago is actually broccoli! now i love it with marinara or roasted.

Evan Thomas June 7, 2010 at 11:30 am

Tofu! In fact, I wouldn’t have touched it a year ago and I just made an awesome glazed asian dish for lunch

bananasforbananas June 7, 2010 at 11:32 am

green monsters definately…actually kind of everything I eat but I LOVE the food I eat now so who cares if I gross people out (that’s just more for me to eat!)

Jenna June 7, 2010 at 11:35 am

Oh man, that is a tough question. Being in the food blogging community has introduce a bunch of new foods into my routine that I wouldn’t have ever thought about eating years ago. The biggest one would have to be tofu. I used to think it was disgusting that people would eat such a thing. Yep, now I am that person eating it!

Amy June 7, 2010 at 11:39 am

Ten years ago I hated big pieces of tomato in my food. Now I will eat sliced tomato raw with salt and pepper for a snack.

Also, I used to refuse to eat my cereal in milk. It gets so soggy! But since I switched from dairy milk to non-dairy, I have no problem eating cereal in milk. I have no explanation for this.

Heather Eats Almond Butter June 7, 2010 at 11:48 am

Amy, CD is the same way – prefers his cereal dry or as an ice-cream topping. He hated milk growing up, but has yet to discover the wonderfulness that is almond milk.

A Teenage Gourmet June 7, 2010 at 11:41 am

When I was 7, I wouldn’t have touched tomatoes. Now, heirloom varieties take up half of the room in my garden. :)

kathleen June 7, 2010 at 11:42 am

i’ve always been a bit confused about the whole calcium absorbing issue too. since, if you noticed, blackstrap molasses has calcium in it too. that drink sounds heavenly, though.

Anna June 7, 2010 at 11:44 am

I think my former self would have laughed and laughed at the green monsters I enjoy so much :-) Kombucha too– all those strands of probiotics in the drink– no way!!!

I love molasses, but never would have thought to make a drink out of it! I always pour it on my pancakes!

Heather Eats Almond Butter June 7, 2010 at 11:50 am

Anna, One of my friends refers to the probiotic strands as “mushroom floaties”. Took her a while to get past them, but now she loves kombucha.

kelsey@snackingsquirrel.com June 7, 2010 at 11:49 am

i love your food combos! im so down for some chocolate and eggs.

my fav gross combo is milk and pickles!! lol

Sarah June 7, 2010 at 11:56 am

Ten years ago, I would not have eaten avocado, peanut butter, coconut, or fresh tomatoes. (I was afraid of fat, and I thought I just did not like tomatoes- that is until I tried really fresh, local ones.)

But today, I’m a vegetarian, so it seems like I’ve traded out foods I won’t eat.

Mara @ What's For Dinner? June 7, 2010 at 11:57 am

It’s funny, I’ve never really disliked any food enough to NOT eat it altogether. Maybe that’s part of my issue?? :) I still dont like okra though!

edenseats June 7, 2010 at 12:00 pm

I used to hate cottage cheese and I’m still picky about it, although I love some brands so much, I cant believe I eat it with almost everything now! Its funny, I teach cooking classes for kids at local schools and in this day in age most of them have never tried REAL milk cause their parents push them to drink soy, almond, rice etc. I guess its what you get in L.A.!

saltytooth June 7, 2010 at 12:03 pm

Mussels. I NEVER though I would eat them, but now I love mussels and even make them at home!

Megan June 7, 2010 at 12:04 pm

Ten years ago I would not have touched peanut butter or any nut butter for that matter. Now my day is not right if I don’t have some sort of nut butter. It’s so funny how our tastes do change as we get older. I remember adults in my life would tell me all the time when I was a kid that I would someday like some food I hated then. They were absolutely right. I’m also a big seafood lover now too. Way back when I would have turned up my nose at any seafood.

Heather Eats Almond Butter June 7, 2010 at 12:16 pm

Megan, I was the same way. Well, always a nut butter lover, but I hated seafood growing up. Now, it’s one of my favorites!

marshell y. Roper June 7, 2010 at 12:05 pm

Brussel sprouts !!! I hated them as a child/teenager! Now, I can not get enough of them/ give me anything green and leafy now…..I will love it!!

Lauren June 7, 2010 at 12:06 pm

Hi Heather!

If you take some vitamin C when you have molasses (or anything with iron) it will increase your absorption, making the iron more bioavailable. I just have a little chewable vitamin C with my molasses drink. Just make sure you don’t have too much, 100-200mg is good of C is good. Anymore, and you may feel nauseous, which you definitely DO NOT want. 100-200 mg makes me feel very energized as well, which is a bonus!! :)

Heather Eats Almond Butter June 7, 2010 at 12:22 pm

Thanks for the tip Lauren!

allison June 7, 2010 at 12:10 pm

i must admit i thought they were chocolate! i say go for that :)

clairedille June 7, 2010 at 12:10 pm

I think I was not eating beets ten years ago, but definitely wasn’t I can’t think of anything else. I pretty much always have loved fruit and veg.

Sounds like a tasty drink to me!

Stacie @ Imperfectly Healthy June 7, 2010 at 12:10 pm

Mushrooms! I used to hate them, but now I LOVE them!

lainie June 7, 2010 at 12:13 pm

Heather,

Not to scare you (and I know you get so much “advice” from people… but we just talked about pregnancy and anemia in my lifespan nutrition class (I am working on my masters in human and molecular nutrition) so this is fresh in my brain!) It is advised that women who are pregnant limit their liver intake. Liver tends to have a high number of toxins thanks to its function in the body as the “detox” organ…

I would really talk to your GP about prescribing an iron supplement that is medical grade. They tend to be easier on the stomach and, ummm, bowels… I take Tandem; it’s available over the counter but I used to have to have a prescription for it. I get mine at CVS now. You do have to ask for it, as they keep it behind the counter.

Also, you mentioned floradix, I take that when I am not taking tandem (depends on how badly my iron and ferritin levels are in the crapper)…it tastes kind of nasty (um, think blood and herbs) but I hold my nose and make sure to have water near by!

I am sure your obgyn talked to you about the dangers of being anemic while pregnant: it can really affect the development of your baby’s brain, so girl, stay on top of it!!!!!

btw: your protein ice creamlessness changed my life. With a few modifications (Vega Powder instead of brown rice protein powder…and sometimes frozen cubes of coconut milk kefir instead of ice cubes and almond milk, or frozen almond milk cubes) it is the perfect post run recovery!!! Thanks!

xolainie.

Heather Eats Almond Butter June 7, 2010 at 12:21 pm

Lainie, Yes, I’ve read the info. on liver. It’s definitely not something I will eat everyday, but wanted to incorporate some high iron foods into my eats. Will definitely limit my intake, and I promise to stay on top of things. If after one month of eating more dietary sources of iron and Floradix doesn’t help, I will look into the Tandem. Thanks so much for your advice/help, and so happy to hear you are loving the protein ice-cream! :)

Leah June 7, 2010 at 12:23 pm

Thought by adulthood Id like brussel sprouts and sweet potatoes – but I still dont like either one?

I used to dislike coffee – Now I love it!

Annie D. from Annie'sSimpleLife June 7, 2010 at 12:24 pm

I love the molasses and almond milk idea! SMART!!!

A few years ago, gosh- EVERYTHING!! No green monsters, all processed foods…. EW!!!

eatmovelove June 7, 2010 at 12:36 pm

Probably chicken livers haha!! No, seriously though alot of stuff – believe it or not I was never a fan of nachos when I was young – now I’m like a crazy addict…oh and NUTS! ;)

Molasses – love that stuff. Simply on a slice of homemade bread. When we were young we used to put molasses all over the butt-ends of the bread loaves and feed it to our horses – they loved it…it was always such a “thrill” having the horse “swoosh” it off our hands with their big, fat tongues ! :)

Do you put Stevia in your ice cream even? OR are you still off all the sugar?

Heather Eats Almond Butter June 7, 2010 at 12:47 pm

Eatmovelove, I used to add stevia to my ice-cream, but I haven’t been lately. However, it’s in the rice protein powder I use.

Mj June 7, 2010 at 12:38 pm

I use to hate egg yolks! Even when they were fully cooked, but especially if they were runny~ yuck! But now adore them, especially in bennedict form :)

balancingbrianne June 7, 2010 at 12:38 pm

heather, can you send me your recipe for chicken livers? i bought beef liver at the farmer’s market and haven’t been brave enough to try it just yet…i was thinking maybe i could start with chicken livers? : ) Brianne (kbriannescott@gmail.com)

Heather Eats Almond Butter June 7, 2010 at 12:55 pm

BalancingBrianne, Chicken livers – so easy! I simply trimmed them and cut them into bite sized pieces. Then I placed them in a greased glass baking dish, and brushed them with some Annie’s BBQ sauce. Allowed them to marinate for about 15 minutes and then baked them in a 350 degree oven for 30 minutes. Shut the oven off but the kept the livers in there with door shut for another 15 minutes or so. I think they taste great, and for a pate, I pureed about 3/4 of the pound of livers I cooked with 2 hard boiled eggs and 2 to 3 heaping spoonfuls of hummus. Surprisingly delicious. :)

Amy @ Second City Randomness June 7, 2010 at 12:38 pm

Mushrooms. I used to be sooooo grossed out by mushrooms. But now I find ways to sneak them into almost anything. And they make everything that much better!

Eimear Rose June 7, 2010 at 12:45 pm

As someone said above, molasses has loads of calcium itself, much more than the almond milk by weight, so I wouldn’t worry. I’m sure you’re still getting plenty of iron from it.
I hate the taste of it alone, I bought it a while ago and just stuck a spoonful in my mouth-eeeurgh! It’s like eating soil off a rusty spoon! I now use it occasionally in baking, usually oat-based things.
I’ve got a suggestion that might seem a bit wrong- when my mum was pregnant with my brother, she got really anemic (she kept fainting!). Her obstetrician told her to drink a half pint of Guinness every now and again!! I know alcohol is not something you want to be slurping down…but my mum’s obstetrician said just one pint of Guinness alone can make your iron levels go up. The suggestion is definitely worth it for non-pregnant women, and something you might want to try out if your iron levels are still a bit low after pregnancy and lactation (my mum drank it when breastfeeding me and it gave me diarrhea!).

Heather Eats Almond Butter June 7, 2010 at 12:51 pm

Eimear, Yeah, wasn’t a huge fan of the Blackstrap molasses on it’s own. Definitely not like regular molasses. Funny about the Guinness – I have heard it’s high in iron. However, I can’t stand the taste. I toured the brewery in Dublin, and at the end got a free pint. I could not drink it – the bartender was laughing at me and even tried mixing it with Pepsi. Ugh, still gross! P.S. I think your name is so pretty. :)

Diana (Soap & Chocolate) June 7, 2010 at 12:49 pm

I used to have issues with tomatoes, mushrooms and fish, but now I love them all! And I’m so glad, since those are healthy foods. I think I heard somewhere that our tastes change every 7 years or so, but don’t quote me. That would explain why we grow into liking things eventually, though.

And yes I did celebrate Pancake Sunday – I moved last week and bought myself a small housewarming gift: a Blendtec. :) So I made their pancake batter recipe and it was pretty good, but more importantly, so easy just to chuck everything in there and pour straight onto the griddle! I’m a high speed blender convert, it’s official :)

Heather Eats Almond Butter June 7, 2010 at 12:57 pm

Diana, I’ve heard about our hair texture changing every 7 years but not our taste buds. However, for me, that’s kind of been true.

So exciting you got a Blendtec. I once asked the company if they would send me one so I could review it and compare to the Vitamix. They told me I could go watch a demo at Costco. Hehe – happy to hear you’re enjoying it. Don’t know what I did before my Vita-Mix!

Sandi June 7, 2010 at 12:55 pm

I used to hate eggplant (bitter taste, weird texture) but now I can’t get enough of it, especially roasted! I also used to hate bell peppers in any form and I still don’t like them raw, but I love them roasted. One thing that I used to love and now simply can’t eat, though, is raw onions. I’d seriously eat them by the bowl when I was a kid but now I just can’t stand the aftertaste (raw garlic as well)
Your molasses milk sounds sooo good, I’ll have to try that some time!

Rebecca @ How the Cookies Crumble June 7, 2010 at 1:07 pm

I’ve always been an adventurous eater and even if i didn’t know what something was I would give it a try. I think that definitely helps me on my mission to being healthy because there is nothing to weird to keep me from trying it.

Kendall June 7, 2010 at 1:11 pm

Well, since you brought it up…even only a few years ago I would never have touched raw oysters on the half shell. And that is as a seafood aficionado (it’s hard not to be when you grow up out here). Finally I tried them on a dare and fell in love! MUST have with a squirt of lemon and a dash of Tabasco in the shell, and then just throw it back and it tastes like a fresh ocean breeze down your throat! Oysters are good on the gill too!

In general though my affinity for spicy things has really developed with age. I couldn’t even do medium salsa when I was younger, and now I have a hot sauce collection almost the size of my nut butter one! p.s. the molasses/milk idea sounds awesome! Never would have thought of that. I only ever really use molasses when baking. Gonna have to try it!

Miranda @ Mirandasjeans June 7, 2010 at 1:28 pm

Please excuse me a moment while I go and get a napkin to wipe the drool from my mouth. That goats milk cheese omlete is go tasty looking. Thank you for sharing that with us. :-) The chicken liver on the other hand. Not for me thank you. lol

a June 7, 2010 at 1:33 pm

I would never have eaten spinach let alone go through lbs of it a week.

Lindsay June 7, 2010 at 1:36 pm

I wouldn’t touch anything tomato-related back in the day, but now I’m obsessed with them. They taste much sweeter to me now that they used to, for some reason. I also used to hate bananas, which is hilarious to me because I now have one banana every day. Or else. I love my bananas. Back in my childhood days, I only liked banana-flavored things (like banana bread and banana pudding). I think it was a texture thing, but I’ve gotten over it. Now, I’m a potassium queen!

Anna (twelve22) June 7, 2010 at 1:42 pm

I sometimes think that ten-years-ago me would basically be horrified by everything I eat now. Even in my first couple years of college, I thought veggies were gross (except for a chosen few), and I would NOT have got excited by tofu. How things change!

Sarah (from See Sarah Eat) June 7, 2010 at 1:43 pm

Pretty much everything I eat now, ha ha! But especially things like brussel sprouts ;-)

Kellie June 7, 2010 at 1:46 pm

I was thinking back to my childhood, but then I realized 10 years ago I was 20! Oh I am getting old!!! In college, I never ate veggies like I do now. I couldn’t imagine not having a freezer stocked with frozen broccoli and brussel sprouts now.

homecookedem June 7, 2010 at 2:14 pm

At first I thought the chicken livers were chocolate! haha! ;)

As an adult I now love water chestnuts in asian stir fries, but as a kid they would make me gag!!

Graygrrrl June 7, 2010 at 2:40 pm

Yea! Another use for Blackstrap Molasses1

10 years ago I hated vegetables- everything except green beans, carrots, and iceburg lettuce. Now, I scarf down edemame, kale, collard greens, sweet potatoes, cabbage, etc. It’s so nice!

Heather Eats Almond Butter June 7, 2010 at 5:53 pm

Graygrrrl, Me too. Veggies growing up meant canned green beans. I don’t even think I knew what kale was, and a salad was a few pieces of iceberg lettuce covered in bleu cheese dressing. Ha, times have definitely changed and for the better!

eredblue June 7, 2010 at 3:02 pm

OH MY GOD I THOUGHT THOSE LIVERS WERE CHOCOLATE!!!
maybe that’s one good way to get me to eat chicken livers…a little tricksy, yes, but probably effective…at least for the first one!

Good for you Heather! I’m really proud of the way you’re taking care of yourself this pregnancy :)

KelseyJ June 7, 2010 at 3:16 pm

10 years ago I couldn’t touch any fruit at all – especially strawberries! My Mom used to have to bribe me to try them by putting whipping cream on top, haha! Now I can eat them like it’s my job!

Megan @ The Oatmeal Diaries June 7, 2010 at 3:17 pm

What an amazing idea to add molasses! I must try that asap :)

bitesandbliss June 7, 2010 at 3:27 pm

Whoa that’s intriguing! I’ve never seen chicken liver on any other blog lol! How do they taste? To answer the question, I wouldn’t have touched fish with a 20 foot pole 10 years ago but now I’m a pescatarian! Sorta went the other way on that :P

Heather Eats Almond Butter June 7, 2010 at 5:58 pm

bitesandbliss, I can’t describe the taste of chicken liver (definitely NOT like chicken breast), but I grew up eating them. Have always loved them, and just kind of forgot about them…that might be because we ate them fried growing up, and I’d never tried them baked. However, just brushed a little BBQ sauce on them, and they turned out really good. Full of iron and vitamin B12. So good for you!

Stacy (StacyGrowsHealthy) June 7, 2010 at 3:29 pm

Roasted brussel sprouts.

Rachel June 7, 2010 at 3:40 pm

Oh my gosh, definitely KALE!!! Even a year ago I wouldn’t touch the stuff–had tried it several times and determined it was just never going to taste edible– but now I make it steamed or sauteed to go with dinner several times a week! Mmmmmm Ok, I know what I’m making tonight. :-D

Carolyn June 7, 2010 at 3:40 pm

Whey protein

SoloSzabi June 7, 2010 at 4:03 pm

Ten years ago? :) I hated all healthy food, I didn’t touch any veg or fruits (and I was 92kg. I am 65kg now..)

This breakfast looks really good! Can I have this omelet’s recipe please? :)

Heather Eats Almond Butter June 7, 2010 at 5:55 pm
Averie (LoveVeggiesAndYoga) June 7, 2010 at 4:13 pm

good for you for playing around w/ food, real food, to do your body good! yay!

food 10 yrs ago = copious amts of liquor. I do mean party girl! (but god, it was fun!) Dinner was Triscuits, PB, and another shot of Goose or Cuervo.

Boy, how life has changed. When not drinking, I did always eat uber healthy, but i followed it up w/ partying. Now, I don’t do any of that. Kinda wish i did though LOL

xxoo
we are moving tomorrow so if i am a little MIA, i am moving (not that you’re on the edge of your seat or anything waiting for my comments tho….LOL)

Averie (LoveVeggiesAndYoga) June 7, 2010 at 4:22 pm

btw cute new avatar, meant to tell you that the other day when i first saw it around town :)

Heather Eats Almond Butter June 7, 2010 at 5:54 pm

Thanks Averie, Been meaning to change it forever. I can’t believe you used to eat PB and triscuits for dinner, Mrs. veggie queen that you are! However, I must say, that’s totally something I would eat now for dinner. Hehe. Best of luck with the move!!!

Sarah (cocoanutshakes) June 7, 2010 at 5:25 pm

10 years ago I NEVER would have touched any sort of cheese whatsoever or any sort of yogurt. I almost wish that I still didn’t like cheese so I wouldn’t eat it so much……..almost =)

missyrayn June 7, 2010 at 5:45 pm

Brussel Sprouts. As a kid my dad told me they were baby cabbage patch kids and I couldn’t get past it. But then I had them roasted and I fell in love.

And recently I had tofu for the first time and couldn’t imagine not eating it to get in some extra protein because I can’t digest meat.

Pure2Raw Twins June 7, 2010 at 6:29 pm

Molasses in hot cocoa sounds amazing! I love your eats :) Believe me – Michelle and I have some unique eats!

Our second oldest sister was anemic recently and she ate a lot of beef and chicken livers, it really helped her. Wish you all the best!

And oh yes, our eating habits have completely changed from when we were little. It is hard to believe sometimes the food I eat now and crave, because growing up I really only liked carrots and broccoli. But now my vegetable taste buds are huge, and I pretty much like anything nowadays.

feetfirstand40 June 7, 2010 at 6:35 pm

Heab I don’t know if you have already received this advice or not…but here goes:

Cook in a cast iron skillet…I’m occasionally anemic due to RA and when I use my cast iron skillet it helps with my iron intake.

Hope this helps.

Tracy

Heather Eats Almond Butter June 8, 2010 at 6:49 am

Tracy, Yes, thank you. I have a cast iron skillet, just haven’t been doing much cooking lately. However, I hope to be back in the kitchen soon!

Jenny June 7, 2010 at 6:56 pm

Caramel flavored milk? Say no more. Adding molasses to my grocery list right now :)

When I was younger I hated carrots with a fiery passion. Now? I’m a regular bugs bunny. My, how our taste buds change!

Laurie June 7, 2010 at 7:13 pm

PEAS!! I can’t get enough of them! I eat 1.5 servings w/spray butter for dinner EVERY night :) I had to give up 5 foods for 6 wks. due to allergy testing and green beans was one of them. I ate them faithfully. So, I decided to try peas in their place and I fell in love : )

Deb (SmoothieGirlEatsToo) June 7, 2010 at 7:18 pm

I don’t think that I’ve tried chicken livers but I would. I had foie gras for the first time (grilled) about 5 yrs ago and I can’t believe I didn’t want it before. I mean, all the cruelty aside, just the taste was amazing. But that cruelty thing does come into play I suppose, doesn’t it!

Love you Heabie!! :0)

Pat June 7, 2010 at 7:37 pm

From MIT: http://web.mit.edu/athletics/sportsmedicine/wcrminerals.html

There are two types of iron: heme and nonheme. Heme iron, found in animal products like meat, is easily absorbed while nonheme iron is found in plants and is less easily absorbed. Copper is needed for normal iron metabolism. Vitamin A assists with iron in elininating anemia. Zinc and iron taken together may limit the absorption of zinc. Calcium and iron combined in a meal may decrease the absorption of iron. Other products that inhibit absorption are: phosphates (sodas), polyphenols (red wine, purple grape juice, coffee, tea, spices, some fruits, some vegetables), wheat bran, phytates (phytic acids found in legumes, grains and rice can decrease absorption by 50%), tannins (teas, coffees), manganese, cobalt, copper, cadmium (in cigarette smoke), calcium, legume protein (soybeans, lentils, black beans, mung beans, and split peas), lignin (fibrous tissued vegetables) and soy protein. Nonheme iron is more affected by the above inhibitors than heme iron.

Nonheme iron helpers that increase absorption: Vitaminc C, citric (fruit), malic, tartaric (tart fruit and baking powder) and lactic acids, alcohol, fructose, sorbitol, meat, fish and poultry.

Notice that ALCOHOL helps increase the absorption of iron. That’s where the Eimear Rose’s mom’s ob/gyn’s suggestion comes into play.

Oh, and I hated Brussels Sprouts, and now I love them; but I have to limit them as I am hypothyroid and goitrogenic veggies can be a problem if eaten too frequently.

Heather Eats Almond Butter June 8, 2010 at 6:58 am

Wow, thanks for all the info. Pat. Very helpful!

Rachael June 7, 2010 at 7:40 pm

Strangely enough, bread. I was convinced I didn’t like bread, sandwiches, all that stuff until I was about eighteen. I still owe my mom for coming up with creative, non-carb inclusive lunches all through elementary school!

Liz June 7, 2010 at 7:43 pm

Sweet potatoes …. can you believe that? WHO DOESN’T LIKE SWEET POTATOES?? Now, I absolutely LOVE them!!

Heather Eats Almond Butter June 8, 2010 at 6:56 am

Liz, I would not touch sweet potatoes with a 10 foot pole growing up. I remember once my mom tried to pawn off a sweet potato pie as pumpkin. I figured it out and wouldn’t eat anymore. Now they are one of my favorite veggies!

The Coconut Mama June 7, 2010 at 8:47 pm

10 years ago? Hmmm a lot of things! I wouldn’t touch raw milk, kombucha, beet kvass, any lacto-fermented vegetable, green veggies at every meal, wheatgrass juice lol. I was 15, 10 years ago though. Not too many 15 year olds eat anything healthy!

diana June 7, 2010 at 8:59 pm

They say your taste buds change every 7 years!!?!!?? Not sure how true this is. But what I eat now are the things that i never had a taste fro 10 years ago. True story— i wouldn’t touch any vegetables besides corn and cooked carrots. Now i’m a Vegan who lives off of vegetables. Go figure…

alli June 7, 2010 at 9:04 pm

i thought you had a side of chocolate on your breakfast plate :)
i’ve never tried chicken liver, i might have to try them!
i would have NEVER tried brussel sprouts when i was younger, but i love them now! also, on the topic of tastes changing—-all those nasty sugar cereals (among other things) that i used to love as a kid are just disgusting and unsatisfying and wouldn’t dream of eating them now!

seemichellecook June 7, 2010 at 9:07 pm

My mother would let me leave the house and go to a friends on Sundays when she would boil brussel sprouts into mushy nothingness because I couldn’t even stand the smell! Now I eat roasted sprouts every single day :) Heather I’m not sure if you like cream of wheat but it’s a very good source of iron when eaten with a small glass of oj and they sell whole wheat cream of wheat now. Also, the amount of calcium in both your goat cheese and almond milk portions are not high enough to negate the iron absorption so no worries! I think it’s awsome that you’re being so proactive and actually having chicken livers for breakfast!

Heather Eats Almond Butter June 8, 2010 at 6:54 am

Michelle, I think I like cream of wheat. I mean I love oat bran and grits – so kind of the same texture. Others have recommended it to me as well. I just bought some oat bran as hot cereal is starting to sound again, and when it’s gone, I’ll have to pick up some cream of wheat. Thx! :)

Ilana June 7, 2010 at 9:18 pm

I definitely have low iron, and a bottle of blackstrap molasses in my cabinet. I guess it needs to get used!

Ten years ago if you told me I would give up dairy for the sake of my food intolerances, I would have laughed in yo face.

maxinthegym June 7, 2010 at 9:28 pm

Used to hate cottage cheese but I’m starting to love it! It’s lumpiness still kinda freaks me out but I like how it tastes!

I’m a brand new blogger, come check me out :)

yogiclarebear June 7, 2010 at 9:32 pm

hmmm food i wouldn’t have touched 10 years ago….mushrooms, shrimp and crab. LOVE!

food that i touched 10 years ago that i would like to have again…grilled cheese sandwiches with real cheese and white bread.

BroccoliHut June 7, 2010 at 9:38 pm

Twelve-year-old Caroline would never dream of touching tofu–now it’s my favorite food!

Barbara June 7, 2010 at 10:05 pm

So glad you tried and liked the Chicken Liver! I was hesitant to recommend it to you, but it is so good! The molasses almond milk sounds great! I do not believe this will inhibit your iron absorbtion! I still thing you need to incorporate the lentils, chicken liver pate, molasses into a stir fry cassarole somehow! I think the molasses would add an earthy sweet taste and mixed with soy sauce it would be the perfect Teriyaki type marinade/dressing!!! Make your own liver pate! Glad you are doing well and enjoying your morning!
XOXO
Your friend,’
Barbara

Heather Eats Almond Butter June 8, 2010 at 6:51 am

Barbara, Again, please come to Nashville and cook all your wonderful and creative sounding dishes for me. :)

jqlee June 8, 2010 at 12:08 am

I don’t even want to admit this but I used to HATE cottage cheese. Of course now I love it and NEED it.

Hanna M. June 8, 2010 at 4:08 am

10 years ago I hated celery and dill. I couldn’t stand it! Now I love crunchy, fresh celery, and dill is very good in certain foods like fish. ;)

Susan June 8, 2010 at 5:10 am

Silly Heather, you just need to make a batch of molasses cookies and eat 5 for breakfast every morning.

What, that’s not healthy?? :P

I used to hate mustard and pickles and now I can’t get enough. I’m one of those people who has yellow mustard oozing out of everything I eat. Still need to work up to the fancy grainy mustards though!

Gina G June 8, 2010 at 6:15 am

mushrooms! now i can’t get enough =P

Sarena (The Non-Dairy Queen) June 8, 2010 at 6:21 am

Good for you for listening to our body and doing what you need to in order to be healthier. I love being in tune with my eating and knowing what I need! I hae to try the almond milk molasses combination …that sounds really good! HHHMMMM I hated cantaloupe when I was younger and now I could eat a whole one in a sitting. I also hated bananas and now I love them. Tastes are so strange, but I think texture is a huge part of it too. I like to try things a few times in different ways before I decide I don’t like them. I tried avocado again this weekend and I seriously don’t like them…I know, the shock! I hope you are doing well!

Allie (Protein Girl) June 8, 2010 at 6:52 am

I love blackstrap molasses. But it tastes like heaven to me because my poor taste buds have been altered by lack of sugar…

Years ago I wouldn’t have ever touched a green smoothie unless it was a dare.

Natalie (First Kitchen) June 8, 2010 at 6:58 am

Breakfast looks delicious! I really want to try the blackstrap molasses/almond butter combo — sounds like a great way to wean myself off coffee.

I used to eat ANYTHING as a kid. Sometimes I would just eat a jar of dijon mustard, plain!!

Olivia @ Blissful Runner June 8, 2010 at 7:00 am

Brussel sprouts and beans! Two MAJOR staples in my diet now. :)

kristin June 8, 2010 at 7:28 am

Even just 3 years ago, I wouldn’t try any unfamiliar foods. I used to hate all veggies- never would eat onions, asparagus, tomatoes, bell peppers, ect. For me it was just about trying those foods again and cooked a different way from when I was a kid.

Katie June 8, 2010 at 8:09 am

This is going to sound so weird….but I used to HATE cucumbers.
I LOVE Blackstrap Molasses. I could down that whole bottle in one sitting :-D

Gena June 8, 2010 at 8:16 am

Cilantro! Used to detest the stuff.

And I love that you’re putting the blackstrap to good use! Enjoy!!!

Amber at Berlinswhimsy June 8, 2010 at 10:49 am

Hi Heather— I used to hate onions and now I love roasted onions. I’m still pretty picky about onions, though. I don’t like white onions in potato salad but I’ll take thin slivers of red onion. Go figure!

I would normally think I’d be grossed out by chicken livers but chicken liver pate sounds kind of good right now. Who knows—maybe I’ll find a new thing I like!

Heather Eats Almond Butter June 8, 2010 at 11:44 am

Amber, that’s right – you never know. :) I’m totally with ya on the onion thing. Grilled or roasted are so much better than raw!

Sparkle June 21, 2010 at 1:16 pm

Mmmmmm Vita Coco, my ultimate favorite nutritious drink, that stuff is the best out there. Blows all of the other coconut waters out of the water.

{ 1 trackback }