The Iron Results

by HEAB on June 8, 2010

In continuing with my day of iron-filled eats, I wanted to share my lunch and dinner from yesterday with you.

My breakfast kept me full until early afternoon, and around 1 PM, I ate a big bowl of Total Raisin Bran with a banana and almond milk. I cereal.

A couple of hours later, I ate a protein bar, and around 6 PM, I sat down to dinner with CD. This is the first time I have cooked a substantial evening meal in months, and it was nice to once again dine at the dinner table with my hubby. :)

I slow cooked a brisket all day in the crock-pot and ate it atop a bed of spinach massaged with 1/2 avocado and fresh lime juice. For our brisket topping, I made Bald Eagle Sauce.

Bald Eagle Sauce (recipe based on Fab Hot Dog’s mustard relish recipe)

Combine the following and refrigerate overnight: (I kind of just threw everything into a bowl, and so the following measurements are guesstimates.)

1/2 cup sweet relish
1 cup sauerkraut
1/2 cup finely chopped carrots
1/2 cup chopped onion
2 cloves minced garlic
1/2 TBSP dried oregano
1/2 TBSP whole celery seed
1 to 2 TBSP chili powder
splash apple cider vinegar
1/2 cup yellow mustard

After dinner, I ate a mug of Cinnamon Puffins with almond milk.

According to Fitday, my iron intake was pretty good yesterday, although I know this number is not completely accurate as I didn’t weigh and measure all my food. However, I’m feeling pretty good about getting my iron numbers up without the iron pills. That being said, I do plan on supplementing with Floradix and ordered some yesterday.

Picture 1.png

I really enjoyed reading about your beloved foods that you used to hate. So, today I’d like to know about an embarrassing favorite food from your past. I’ll start. When I was younger, I used to love pickle juice. After finishing off a jar of pickles, I would stick a straw in the jar and sip on the juice. Ugh, I still love pickles, but I could not imagine drinking the juice nowadays. Hello sodium!

amsterwill83 June 8, 2010 at 7:53 am

At our local skating rink, which was THE hangout, they sold pickle juice ice cubes on a stick!! I wasn’t a fan, but they were probably the most popular item at the concession stand. This is embarassing, but I used to melt cheese in a bowl and eat it after school. Hello GREASE! Ewwww.

Amanda (WannaBe Chef)

Heather Eats Almond Butter June 8, 2010 at 8:04 am

Amsterwill83, I did the same thing – filled a paper plate with shredded cheese, melted it in the microwave and ate it with a fork. Cringing just writing that…and I bet I would have loved the pickle juice ice cubes. :)

jenny (green food diaries) June 8, 2010 at 7:55 am

hahaha pickle juice! i used to do that with jarred olives. blech!

gavrielski June 8, 2010 at 7:59 am

I am a pickle fanatic, and I also used to (gasp!) take a spoon to the briney juice left over. Not anymore, though, but I do still love my pickles! I’m so glad the iron intake is going better and that you were able to enjoy dinner with CD last night! Have a wonderful day and week. :)

Kelly June 8, 2010 at 8:08 am

I love the cinnamon puffins…but the multigrain ones are my favorite. Have you tried those??

Heather Eats Almond Butter June 8, 2010 at 8:18 am

Kelly, No, I have not. Will add them on my cereal list. :)

Josie June 8, 2010 at 8:08 am

you know the drippings left in the pan of a ham or roast? i used to soak piece after piece of white bread in it. i may or may not still do it…at holidays, of course. :D

Kimberly June 8, 2010 at 8:08 am

I used to LOVE pickle juice!! I also liked peanut butter and pickle sandwiches :)

Katherine June 8, 2010 at 8:11 am

Hahah melted cheese on a plate is hysterical.

I used to come home from track practice and make a sandwich that consisted of 2 buttered slices of white Italian bread with rice-a-roni in between (usually the broccoli cheddar flavor). Yes, a rice sandwich. HOLY CARBS.

A Teenage Gourmet June 8, 2010 at 8:11 am

From what I’ve heard, this isn’t rare. . . I used to eat butter straight from the tub. I’d just stick a finger in and go to town! Sometimes, I still scrape up a little piece. It’s just so good. :)

Heather Eats Almond Butter June 8, 2010 at 8:23 am

A Teenage Gourmet, One of my former coworkers used to do the same thing with Earth Balance. She loved that stuff straight-up.

Heather (Perspective Is Everything) June 8, 2010 at 8:21 am

Glad to see you have your iron issue under control :D
Embarrassing food from the past…..Swiss Miss Hot Cocoa. Oh, I didn’t drink it. I ATE IT.
I would get huge spoonful after spoonful, dunk it in some hot water, just for the moisture and then chew away.
Gahhhhhhhhhhhhhh! Gag!
What the heck!?
Sometimes I’d get the unmoistened cocoa powder in my throat, cough, and out would come a cloud of cocoa dust.

Samantha Angela @ Bikini Birthday June 8, 2010 at 8:23 am

Pickle juice?? Really?

I’d love to get that recipe for the brisket. I’m craving some slow cooked meat.

Heather Eats Almond Butter June 8, 2010 at 8:26 am

Samantha, Brisket – super easy. Place brisket in your slow cooker pot, and add 1/8 tsp celery salt, 1/4 tsp onion powder, 1/4 tsp garlic powder, 1/4 tsp salt, and 1.5 ounce bottle of liquid smoke. Marinate in fridge overnight and then slow cook the next day in the crock-pot for 8 to 9 hours. Last hour of cooking, add 1 cup BBQ sauce. Enjoy. We loved it!

Jessica @ How Sweet June 8, 2010 at 8:23 am

Oh my gosh I also loved ( and still love!) pickle juice! I would put it on potato chips…lol!

Courtney (Pancakes & Postcards) June 8, 2010 at 8:26 am

Pickle juice!!! I have been living under a rock apparently, because I have never heard of that! I dont know of any embarassing foods offhand, but one embarassing thing I used to do as a kid was order shaved ice… plain. We would always have it at soccer games, picnics, etc. but I didnt like the syrup so I always walked around with my plain snow cone and kids looked at me like I was crazy!!

operagirlcooks June 8, 2010 at 8:28 am

Ya know, cooking with cast iron will naturally add iron content to your food! It’s a great way to fry, bake, and sear, too, what with the even, constant heat you get from cast iron pans.

Heather Eats Almond Butter June 8, 2010 at 8:30 am

Operagirl, Yes, I know. I need to dust mine off – just haven’t been cooking that much lately. :(

Marilou @ Mostly Healthy June 8, 2010 at 8:28 am

Low Carb Diet calls for melted cheese in a plate Me-He-He …

I used to eat cold soup straight from the can … ?

And don’t get me started on jarred cherries :)

fartygirl June 8, 2010 at 8:34 am

Mayonnaise sandwiches. Nothing but mayo and bread. Beat that. :)

Ilana June 8, 2010 at 8:35 am

My obsession with parmesan as a kid is unrivaled. No, not the nice hard stuff you grate, imported from Italy. The Kraft stuff in the green cardboard tube. I would eat it by the palmful, licked straight from my hand.

Ana June 8, 2010 at 8:37 am

Oh, that is funny about the comments on melted cheese, I used to do the same thing: spread slices of cheese on a plate, microwave and eat with fork. But, in my defense, I learned it with my aunt!! I used to spend a few weeks/weekends during summer break at my cousins house, and there was this one day when we were watching a movie (just the girls, me, my aunt and my two cousins – her two daughters) and my aunt asked one of my cousins to get us some melted cheese to snack on. She went to the kitchen and a few minutes back came out with a rectangular pyrex dish (yes, the 13×9 thing!) filled with melted cheese and 4 forks. It was fun and yummy to eat plain melted cheese at that time. I would never do it now though, just the thought of it makes my stomach hurts.
I love melted cheese on other foods, but not in those amounts and all by itself.
Your cereal bowl looks delish, I am always amazed by how good raisin bran cereal taste good when I have some! My son absolutely loves raisin bran cereal and we both recently rediscovered it here at our house! We buy TJ’s Raisin Bran (the regular, simple one, they have some with clusters and other stuff/tons of sugar in it too), it is simple and delicious!

VeggieGirl June 8, 2010 at 8:39 am

Embarrassing food favorite from my past = where do I begin? :-D

Katie June 8, 2010 at 8:43 am

I also love cereal SO much. I could eat it for 3 meals a day.

When I was younger, my grandma used to make me a snack with bananas, MAYONNAISE, and corn flakes. I loved it! I called it “D Jo Bananas” (D Jo was my grandma’s name). The thought of mayo and fruit makes me gag just thinking about it now!

Heather Eats Almond Butter June 8, 2010 at 8:50 am

Katie, I have a friend that swears by pineapple mayo sandwiches. As much as I love mayo and pineapple, the thought of them together grosses me out.

eatmovelove June 8, 2010 at 8:45 am

PUFFINS for the win!! Love them. Impossible to keep my hand out of the box…so I don’t…

Slow cooking food always smell so good…

Embarassing food?! Well, I still have alot of those…but we used to have fish and salt pork – pretty much pork fat fried and put on top of the fish with butter…salty goodness though ;)

Miranda @ Mirandasjeans June 8, 2010 at 8:47 am

I don’t know what was wrong with me and my brother when we were younger, but whenever we would use sour cream at the dinner table, when we were cleaning up, the two of us would fight over who would get to lick the sour cream spoon clean before it got put in the dishwasher. Looking back now, I seriously have no idea why I thought that tasted good.
Not so gross, cheese curds and cottage cheese. I could eat it all in one whole sitting.

Miranda @ Mirandasjeans June 8, 2010 at 8:49 am

Oh, and when I was a preteen, fried cheese. Yup, just like it sounds. Shred your old cheddar and get out that frying pan. And I would eat it just on it’s own. Wow no wonder I put on the lbs when I was younger haha!

Jenny R. June 8, 2010 at 8:56 am

Hey Heather! I know you said you ordered floradix but you may also want to look into “spatone” – it is an amazing iron supplement. No constipation. We literally cannot keep it on the shelves at my store.

Heather Eats Almond Butter June 8, 2010 at 8:58 am

Jenny, Yes, another blogger told me about spatone. I’ll keep it in mind. Thank you! :)

saltytooth June 8, 2010 at 8:56 am

I had a roommate who used to drink the pickle juice and it always made me sick!

My embarrassing food, and one that my family still picks on me for, is lettuce sandwiches. Lettuce, miracle whip and bread. I think I ate one, everyday, from first through fourth grade!

Megan @ The Oatmeal Diaries June 8, 2010 at 9:01 am

How wonderful are those cinnamon puffins?! I always add more cinnamon to them. :)
And that FitDay sight looks really interesting. I’m checking it out right now!

bitesandbliss June 8, 2010 at 9:04 am

mmm I love cereal, too! Just had a small bowl actually. :P and I knew a girl that loved pickle juice when she was younger and drink the juice, too! She may still like it, I dont know..but ehhhh :S

Morgan @ Life After Bagels June 8, 2010 at 9:05 am

that brisket has me dreaming about coming out of meat retirement . . . aka vegetarianism, hahaha

Jess @ Jessica is Getting Fit June 8, 2010 at 9:10 am

My hubs drinks pickle juice and I think it’s SO gross.

Ditto on the PB and pickle sandwiches though! Yum!

Meg June 8, 2010 at 9:19 am

Good job on the iron :) Hope the supplements help out too :D

I LOVE pickle juice too! Such a salty, terrible indulgence…but every once in a while, ya know ;) it’s pretty damn tasty.

I also adore peanut butter on anything – from salad, to sweet p fries…guess that’s not wierd, just more of an obsession :)

Sarah (from See Sarah Eat) June 8, 2010 at 9:21 am

I used to eat cool whip straight out of the container! Ewwww…

Heather Eats Almond Butter June 8, 2010 at 9:28 am

Sarah, Confession – I still LOVE frozen cool whip straight from the container…although I’ve found a pretty good replacement in TruWhip. :)

Olivia @ Blissful Runner June 8, 2010 at 9:22 am

Embarassing food favorites? I’ve got this! When I was a kid my dad and I would eat rice … with heaping spoonfuls of mayonaise stirred in. I can’t believe my mom let us get away with that! Ewww! *shudder*

Gina G June 8, 2010 at 9:33 am

i used to drink the juice of the black olive cans!
another wierd one, my neighbor used to make me a sandwich that was white bread with mayo, cheese, and potato chips all smooshed together haha

Heather Eats Almond Butter June 8, 2010 at 11:46 am

Gina, My favorite sandwich growing up was corned beef, mustard, American cheese, and smooshed Doritos. I still crave it sometimes. :)

alli June 8, 2010 at 9:39 am

mmm. i love cereal. if i could get all the nutrition i needed from it, i’d have it for every meal.

when i was a kid i used to lick the inside of the popcorn bag! grody!

Lindsey June 8, 2010 at 9:44 am

I could eat cereal all day long as well!! There is just something about the crunchy texture of the cereal mixed with the coldness of the milk that is so appetizing mmmmm :)
I used to eat Grape Nuts Cereal as a child. I was probably the only little girl who woke up every morning crazing the fiber goodness – I just loved how the cereal would absorb all the milk LOL!!!

Mj June 8, 2010 at 9:51 am

Its nothing crazy but it sure used to be embarassing! Way back when, in elementary school before all the sushi loving became popular, my mom would pack us homemade rolls for lunch! But at lunch time I would always be so ashamed to bring it out because the other kids would all be jerks and make fun of how it looked when they had sandwhiches or the school lunches. Kids can be so mean sometimes :P
Glad to hear the iron intake is going well and that you are able to stand cooking dinner again!

Sarah June 8, 2010 at 10:02 am

I liked pickle juice, too! And when I was younger than that, I loved bologna with mayonnaise (two foods I now hate).

Stacie @ Imperfectly Healthy June 8, 2010 at 10:06 am

Don’t feel bad about the pickle juice! We have pickle juice snowcones in the part of Texas that I’m from!!! :) At least you didn’t used to eat frosting right out of the can in spoonfuls!! I can’t even fathom doing that now!

Heather Eats Almond Butter June 8, 2010 at 11:51 am

Stacie, Oh yes I did. Loved Betty Crocker’s chocolate back in the day!

Katie June 8, 2010 at 10:09 am

Glad the iron’s going better. I”m anemic too, but didn’t bother to chime in since I just take pills (and prunes and extra water to help me out!)

My embarrassing food-I-used-to-love is hot dogs. But that in itself is not the bad – it’s HOW I would eat them. First of all, I liked them raw and cold (augh!). But also, I would peel off the skin and then eat the innards. EW!!! I don’t even really like COOKED hot dogs nowadays!

pastorleanne June 8, 2010 at 10:10 am

My brother and I used to drink the little creamer containers in restaurants – we would divide them evenly and then fight to the death for the last one if there was an uneven number.

I still do take cream in my coffee, but I haven’t had it “straight up” in years :) .

Leah June 8, 2010 at 10:10 am

Some of my favorites from childhood
1. peanut butter toast topped with Nesquik powder! Yum! Too sweet now, but I used to love it
2. Fritos with sourcream – Yum
3. Potato chips crushed up on my pb&j sandwiches – Yum

Run Sarah June 8, 2010 at 10:14 am

That bald eagle sauce sounds delish! Hmm, I used to love the most sugary cereals ever – anything chocolate covered was great in my books!

malpaz June 8, 2010 at 10:28 am

try chicken or beef liver…. full of iron!!! theyre like my FAVORITE food!

Heather Eats Almond Butter June 8, 2010 at 11:49 am

Malpaz, Roger that. Saturday, ate chicken liver pate: http://heathereatsalmondbutter.com/2010/06/06/a-breakfast-date/ and yesterday had BBQ baked chicken livers: http://heathereatsalmondbutter.com/2010/06/07/a-new-morning-beverage/ I love chicken livers too, but they’re a bit too high in vitamin A for me to eat very often. Pregnant women can’t have a lot of vitamin A. :(

homecookedem June 8, 2010 at 10:54 am

As a kid I loved the fake cheese that you squeeze out of a can. We’d put them on wheat thins and I just loved ‘em! So embarrassing though and I wouldn’t be caught eating that stuff now as an adult, haha! ;)

atastelife June 8, 2010 at 11:00 am

For all the pickle fanactics (and there’s a lot of us out there) – I just read in Rachael Ray’s magazine that pickle juice can be used as a marinade for grilled chicken. I can’t wait to try this!!!

Heather Eats Almond Butter June 8, 2010 at 11:49 am

atastelife, Really, I’ll have to try that as well. Thx for the tip.

Katherine: What About Summer? June 8, 2010 at 11:13 am

haha oh the juice. I make sour faces whenever I try beet or carrot juice

L @ Whole Wheat Or Bust! June 8, 2010 at 11:22 am

Foods I used to hate but now love:
(Im serious) Avocado, Mayo, PEANUT BUTTER (and thus ALL nut butters), Sandwiches (what? what kid was I?), Mustard (now the honey mustard is essential), tomatoes, salads (that was disliked before about 16)

Foods I used to love that I would rather not eat again:
Marie Claires frozen alfredo pasta, lays and ranch dip (blech), mcdonalds, pop tarts (this just inspired a post idea), cheetos, kraft mac n cheese (what is that?! and why does it taste so good?!)

Heather Eats Almond Butter June 8, 2010 at 11:47 am

L, Kraft Mac & Cheese is laced with crack. ;)

L @ Whole Wheat Or Bust! June 8, 2010 at 11:23 am

and to clarify: I love canola mayo :) I dont think it even contains eggs

caronae June 8, 2010 at 11:38 am

Okay, so do yu remember when Heinz used to make that purple and green ketchup for kids???? I loved it. I would not eat any kind of meat without it for a year or two. My parents thought it was a little weird to see me eating a nice pork roast or a lamb chop with purple ketchup, but hey, at least it got me to eat the meat, right? So embarrassing. :)

cindy June 8, 2010 at 11:50 am

Wishing you well-the floradix is a great product. I have used it in the past when I was severely iron deficient, and it was the only thing that brought up my iron levels-although it took a long time. Best of luck

Heather Eats Almond Butter June 8, 2010 at 11:53 am

Thanks Cindy. I’m looking forward to trying it!

Jessica June 8, 2010 at 11:52 am

My cousin and I used to take dill pickles, hollow them out with a knife, fill with smooshed up American cheese and wrap with deli ham:) Delicious. A couple of things my mom fed me and she claims I liked as a child;) were Spam and Vienna Sausages (with jelly)–I’m gagging just typing it!!

Natalie June 8, 2010 at 11:55 am

a slice of american cheese w/ mayonaise spread on it. I haven’t had mayo in years – even the smell makes me want to gag.

Lori June 8, 2010 at 11:58 am

Some of these are cracking me up! I, too, ate butter right out of the tub. Before I moved on to bologna and cheese, bologna and butter sandwiches were the only kind I’d eat. And when we had chichen for dinner I had to dip it in mayonaise.

petersenplace June 8, 2010 at 12:01 pm

Pickle juice is pretty random – when I was young, like toddler to first grade, my favorite food was raw oysters and escargot. I would order escargot at any restaurant that I could. Now looking back I think it was for a reaction, but I did really enjoy them! Now, not so much :)

dorrybird June 8, 2010 at 12:10 pm

I was a super sensitive child and I thought my food had feelings so I would be sure to eat each bite of cereal mindfully so none of the cheerios were scared to go down into my dark stomach!

Heather Eats Almond Butter June 8, 2010 at 12:13 pm

Dorrybird, That’s one of the cutest things I’ve read in long time. You have a very good heart. :)

annecalista June 8, 2010 at 12:24 pm

That molasses and almond milk drink sounds and looks delicious! I love molasses.
I wasn’t embarrassed by this at the time, but when I was little I could eat butter and cream cheese by the spoonful.

Vanessa June 8, 2010 at 12:36 pm

My brother and I used to sit upside down on our beds pretending we were astronauts. We would squirt cheese whiz, or anything else with in a tube in our mouths trying to eat like them! (even toothpaste a few times)

dorrybird June 8, 2010 at 12:42 pm

Thanks for your sweet reply :) You’ve been a big inspiration the past few months and I launched my new blog yesterday! http://livingwithhealthyhunger.com

Lauren @ Eat, Drink, and Be Hopeful June 8, 2010 at 1:54 pm

Your brisket looks incredibly tasty. I like the idea of sauce on top. And the massaged spinach sounds so interesting. Very yummy!

Heather @ Get Healthy With Heather June 8, 2010 at 2:35 pm

I did the same pickle juice drinking when I was younger too! Only a few times though cause it made me a bit sick.

Sarena (The Non-Dairy Queen) June 8, 2010 at 2:49 pm

I LOVE cereal too! We totally used to drink the pickle juice and sadly…I would still do it today if it was acceptable! I embarrass myself with how many pickles I can eat. The cashier at the store made fun of my huge jar of pickles one time. She said that should last us a long time. My husband laughed and said not as long as you would think…it took me less than 2 weeks to eat the whole thing. Oh well, I love them! My sister used to dip sticks of butter into sugar and eat it…I was never that girl!

eredblue June 8, 2010 at 3:25 pm

Okay, do you know that red gel stuff that they sell in the summer to put on strawberry shortcakes? I used to cut a tiny corner off and squoosh it out into my mouth, straight up. I’m practically having a sugar coma just thinking about it. Which reminds me. I used to buy the funfetti frosting (this is past childhood and during my quarter-life crisis) and pick the funfettis out and also eat that straight up too. I’m also disturbed to think about eating those fun dip candies too–you know the sugar sticks that you dip into colored powdered sugar? Whew.

Heather Eats Almond Butter June 8, 2010 at 4:52 pm

eredblue, Oh my gosh, the Fun Dip – even the dipper stick was pure sugar if I remember correctly. I loved those things!

Kellie June 8, 2010 at 3:50 pm

I have this weird thing with SF syrup. I really have to stay away from it because it is like crack to me. I lick my plate clean. I don’t know what it is, but I could eat it by the spoonful.

Melissa S. June 8, 2010 at 3:53 pm

ahaha…i used to do that with canned pineapple when my mom made shish-ka-bobs for the barbie. i gag at the thought of it now!

Kelsey June 8, 2010 at 4:51 pm

i know i said this food the other day but since u mentioned pickles, its the pickles and milk combo i ate as a kid lol.

Annalisa June 8, 2010 at 5:05 pm

I used to love pickle juice. I also loved cold kidney beans out of the can, cheese & ketchup sandwiches, rolled oats eaten cold – like cereal (i still like this), crackers with butter, and iceberg lettuce COVERED in caesar dressing. AND – I used to like paper – mostly the corners of books – until I was a junior or senior in high school. Thank goodness my taste buds have evolved…

bananasforbananas June 8, 2010 at 5:41 pm

I remember on occasion drinking the little creamers at restaurants with my cousin but I can safely say that was only once or twice until my mom forced me to stop. I also used to eat those lunchables things with the horrible fake meat and cheese and crackers that didn’t really crunch but rather stuck to your teeth!?! I know those are pretty normal for kids but I’m just thinking about all the chemicals I used to eat and it is seriously sickening.

bananasforbananas June 8, 2010 at 5:42 pm

I also liked ketchup on my eggs but it only seemed to be “gross” around some people :)

Heather Eats Almond Butter June 8, 2010 at 7:15 pm

bananaforbananas, I still like ketchup on my eggs. Not gross to me, but CD thinks it’s disgusting.

Kristine June 8, 2010 at 6:38 pm

Ha! I used to do the same thing with pickle juice. Holy sodium!

Danielle June 8, 2010 at 6:47 pm

When I was younger and still to this day, I enjoyed uncooked oatmeal. I would mix it with a little of Vanilla or Chocolate soy milk and eat it as a desert or a sweet snack if I’m craving it.

marshell y. Roper June 8, 2010 at 6:48 pm

I used to love eating mayonnaise sandwiches (just plain mayo and bread). Now, just the thought of it makes me sick to the stomach. Kids!!!

traynharder23 June 8, 2010 at 6:56 pm

hahhai used to eat tortillas and chocolate gelato. and mustard bagels. gosh, i was such a weird kid. i also liked eating ramen packets….(not cooking the ramen.) sodium BOMB.

yay puffins! my header on my site is a tributeto the cereal!

Sagan June 8, 2010 at 7:20 pm

I find your pickle juice story interesting- it seems to me that when we do things like that, it’s because our bodies are craving them (especially when we’re younger!). I used to eat PILES of salted sunflower seeds. I loved salty things. I think it’s just one of those nutrients we need LOTS of when we’re younger!

Mmmm brisket looks goooooood.

Gina June 8, 2010 at 7:47 pm

When I was a kid I used to eat a truly vile snack consisting of mayo on white bread wrapped around a tootsie roll.

Heather Eats Almond Butter June 9, 2010 at 5:43 am

Gina, You win. Hehe. :)

Pure2raw twins June 8, 2010 at 8:06 pm

I used to love mayo and bread sandwich, yep that it! Pretty weird and boring, haha.

Danielle (Runs on Green) June 8, 2010 at 8:25 pm

Pickle juice…[blech] but I won’t judge ;) Seeing as I used to scrape the cream filling out of oreos, put it in a pile and dig in lol

I also remember pouring myself Lucky Charms and eating all the grain part first so that all that was left was a sea of marshmallows. I had quite the sweet tooth :D

Heather Eats Almond Butter June 9, 2010 at 5:49 am

Danielle, For my friend’s birthday in college, I separated all the grains from the marshmallows in one box of Lucky Charms, and mailed her just the marshmallows. She loved it – so please know you weren’t the only one with a sweet tooth! Funny b/c that same girl loved the cream from Oreos. I always liked the cookie part the best.

Sandra June 8, 2010 at 9:34 pm

Beetroot brine .. from canned beetroot. EWW! Hah, loved it as a kid. Never would’ve remembered, if it wasn’t for this post ;)

chariander June 8, 2010 at 10:16 pm

Um… I used to eat the fat my parents had cut off their pork chops. *shudder*

Quix June 8, 2010 at 10:23 pm

Yay iron! I have issues getting iron as well. Some days I’m good, some days not so much.

I used to eat filet mignon, lobster, and grilled shrimp all with ketchup. Everything with ketchup! I still like ketchup with weird things but I’ve also learned to love drawn butter, cocktail sauce, and one type of steak sauce.

BroccoliHut June 8, 2010 at 10:31 pm

I heart cereal too–especially Total raisin bran. It’s the best-tasting raisin bran out there, in my opinion.
I used to be a big fan of Stouffer’s mac & cheese doused with ketchup. Eek!

Heather Eats Almond Butter June 9, 2010 at 5:46 am

BroccoliHut, I haven’t taste tested many Raisin Brans. Glad to know I started with the best. :) PS – I used to douse my mac & cheese in mustard.

Mary (A Merry Life) June 8, 2010 at 11:33 pm

I love cereal too. :)

I can’t even begin to explain all the embarrassing things I used to eat. I think they are better left in the past. As is pickle juice. Yuck!

Luna June 9, 2010 at 4:27 am

totally unrelated but I wanted to tell you that for the first time I made an “american-style omelet” for my husband (who loves them and really liked it), instead of my usual “frittata” … Thanks for your “tutorial” ;)

Heather Eats Almond Butter June 9, 2010 at 5:44 am

Luna, You’re welcome. Glad your husband enjoyed. :)

Elizabeth Pope June 9, 2010 at 5:21 am

Didja see the NY Times article on pickle juice as an effective tool to stop muscle cramping?! Perfectly timed!!

Heather Eats Almond Butter June 9, 2010 at 5:44 am

Elizabeth, I did not. How funny – thx for sharing!

Jennifer June 9, 2010 at 7:55 am

when I was little I used to poor cream in my uncooked brown sugar oatmeal, and eat it just like that! the cream made the brown sugar moist, looking back that was my favoirte snack of all time- or taking “shots” with those tiny cream containers at resturants. I am always amazed that I was never an obese child :)

Heather Eats Almond Butter June 9, 2010 at 8:00 am

Jennifer, your oat/cream concoction actually sounds really good to me! Oh, and you weren’t the only creamer lover…I think 2 other people left comments saying they used to enjoy shots of cream as well back in the day. :)

Denise Billings June 9, 2010 at 8:00 am

ha! i drank pickle juice, too, but i wasn’t danty enough to use a staw. I drank it straight from the jar.

allison June 9, 2010 at 8:21 am

i love bagels with cream cheese and pickles. these confessions are some of the funniest ive ever read!!! and ps – there is a bar in ocean city, maryland called pickles – their signature shot is vodka chased with pickle juice. it is still alive and well!!

freckledfoodie June 9, 2010 at 8:23 am

I used to LOVE to sneak in to the dinner table after everyone was finished eating and eat the stick butter all by itself! SOOO gross! lol.

allison June 9, 2010 at 8:23 am

or a favorite food STILL is white bread with mayo, american cheese, tomato slices, and s&p. YUM

Meredith June 9, 2010 at 10:04 am

Ooo! I love the idea of spinach massaged with avocado and lime juice. Spinach is one of my very favorite foods – I add it where ever I can =)

Heather Eats Almond Butter June 9, 2010 at 10:33 am

Meredith, It’s so good that way – tastes like cooked spinach. Here is another favorite: http://heathereatsalmondbutter.com/recipes/raw-lemon-miso-salad

Katie June 9, 2010 at 4:53 pm

I used to eat raw hot dogs…cold…straight from the fridge. I did it A LOT. And cheese sandwiches – 2 slices white bread with a kraft single between nuked for 30 sec. YUM.

Rachel June 9, 2010 at 5:08 pm

I can’t believe it–right after seeing all this talk about pickle juice, I was reading the NYTimes Well Blog and found this article: http://well.blogs.nytimes.com/2010/06/09/phys-ed-can-pickle-juice-stop-muscle-cramps/

Too funny :)

Heather Eats Almond Butter June 10, 2010 at 7:45 am

Rachel, Ha ha – yes, another blogger sent that article to me. I always knew I was onto something big when I was drinking all that pickle juice. ;)

learningtocookeatandenjoydeliciousfood June 9, 2010 at 10:20 pm

I think some of my favorite foods when I was a little girl, were 1. ketchup, 2. mustard, and 3. pickles!! Whenever my family would go out to eat, I would load up on the ketchup, mustard and pickles all together and my parents would have to bribe me to eat the main meal!! Woops!! I guess I liked the condiments more that the chicken nuggets!!

Beclu June 9, 2010 at 10:56 pm

I crave pickles all of the time! I’m just one step away from drinking the pickle juice!

When you were drinking pickle juice were you still running a lot? Maybe you subconsciously knew about this…

Heather Eats Almond Butter June 10, 2010 at 7:46 am

Beclu…I mean Becky, ;) Yes, several others have sent me that article. Definitely was NOT running back then, but perhaps it was all those miles I put on my pink Huffy bike around the neighborhood. :)

Becky June 9, 2010 at 10:58 pm

Oops, Becky, not beclu…that’s what happens when you try and multi-task!

Alyssa June 10, 2010 at 4:30 pm

I used to sneak into the refrigerator and eat Country Crock Margarine by the spoonful!! I think I could vom right now thinking about it…

Savannah June 10, 2010 at 7:49 pm

Your local Whole Foods probably sells Floradix–all the ones around here do.

Heather Eats Almond Butter June 10, 2010 at 7:50 pm

Savannah, Yes, I saw it there, but it was so much cheaper online at iHerb.com. Plus free shipping over $40. Love that site!

Lindsey @ Sound Eats June 11, 2010 at 5:14 am

LOL I just read this article about pickle juice and muscle cramps – obviously I immediately thought of you and this post!

Heather Eats Almond Butter June 11, 2010 at 7:04 am

Lindsey, Yes, I saw that article after writing my post. Totally knew I was onto something big back in the day! ;)

{ 5 trackbacks }