Waffle Wednesday: The Strawberry Shortcake Edition

by HEAB on June 9, 2010

There were two different homemade waffle recipes I was debating between making for Waffle Wednesday this week. However, I woke up feeling lazy and craving strawberry shortcake. :)

Last night, I made sweetened strawberries, and I guess I still had strawberries on the brain. However, there was no shortcake or whipped cream to be found. So, I improvised…

I toasted 2 Eggo Waffles (I swear, they are still my favorite toaster waffle. No other brand gets as crispy, and I love that buttery taste! I’m not the only one still lovin on the Eggos, right Em? ;) ) and layered them with the strawberries and vanilla protein ice-cream.

For the sweetened strawberries, simply cut up fresh strawberries, add a sprinkle of stevia or sweetener of choice (I used SlimSweet), and mash with a potato masher. After a few hours in the fridge, the strawberries get all syrupy – so good!

Confession: The photo above only includes about 1/3 of the batch of protein ice-cream. After taking the picture, I plopped the remaining ice-cream on my plate and went to town. It wasn’t very pretty, but it sure made my belly happy. Strawberry shortcake craving satisfied!

Your food confessions from yesterday’s post cracked me up – thanks so much for sharing! I think Gina wins the award for most embarrassing food from the past for her mayo and tootsie roll sandwiches on white bread. Yep, even I can’t top that one Gina. ;)

Enjoy your Wednesday!

Kelly June 9, 2010 at 7:34 am

Eggo waffles are pretty darn tasty…not gonna lie. Do you remember the mini ones that were chaped like little peices of bread and they were cinnamon flavored? If not…I swear I am not crazy…we used to get those as treats when we were kids!

Heather Eats Almond Butter June 9, 2010 at 7:36 am

Kelly, I missed out on those. :(

Jessica @ How Sweet June 9, 2010 at 7:47 am

This might be the best waffle wednesday ever – love the protein ice cream on top. That just looks mouth watering!

Heather (Perspective Is Everything) June 9, 2010 at 7:51 am

Pretty sure I’m gonna make that protein ice cream today! I think I may freeze some cubes of coconut milk as well as having regular ice cubes……ooooh-this should be good!

Little Bookworm June 9, 2010 at 7:55 am

Those waffles look absolutely amazing! :)

malpaz June 9, 2010 at 8:17 am

going to have to check out this protein ice cream right about now…. :)

VeggieGirl June 9, 2010 at 8:18 am

A waffle/shortcake fusion?? HOLY YUM!! ;)

Heather Eats Almond Butter June 9, 2010 at 9:22 am

VeggieGirl, Yes, HOLY YUM indeed. So glad you coined that phrase as I use it often. ;)

Sarah (cocoanutshakes) June 9, 2010 at 8:18 am

I totally do that all the time with banana soft serve (adding more post photo). It’s just more photogenic that way =)

Miranda @ Mirandasjeans June 9, 2010 at 8:19 am

Mago Tootsie sandwiches make me think of a sandwich from my hubbys childhood and sadly when hes feeling nostalgic as an adult, peanut butter mayo sandwich. *bleck*

Run Sarah June 9, 2010 at 8:24 am

I have made similar versions of your protein ice cream before, I love the idea of maybe thickening with more guar/xantham to use as a waffle topping. Yum!!

Marilou @ Mostly Healthy June 9, 2010 at 8:26 am

You should become a Waffle Chef :)

Julie @ Pickley Pear June 9, 2010 at 8:28 am

Yay for waffle Wednesday! I love the strawberry shortcake twist!

blissfulbellas June 9, 2010 at 8:30 am

MMMM yum! i gotta try this ice cream for brekkie thing!! :D u make ihop look silly <3
-Lena

A Teenage Gourmet June 9, 2010 at 8:41 am

Eggos ARE good, especially the mini ones. But right now, I have Van’s in my freezer.

Felicia June 9, 2010 at 8:43 am

how good are strawberries now?! i just had amazing organic ones with my oatbran.. holyyyy deliciousness they were soo good!! waffles with protein icecream is a seriously good idea i need to try that…

Heather Eats Almond Butter June 9, 2010 at 9:20 am

Felicia, I love summer fruit – can’t wait for peaches!

Jenny June 9, 2010 at 8:58 am

I am celebrating waffle Wednesday as we speak, though mine pale in comparison to yours! For some reason I adore strawberies on waffles, but pancakes – not so much.

Anna June 9, 2010 at 9:09 am

Mmm…I love sweetened strawberries! Sometimes I add a dash of balsamic vinegar, and it gets SO syrupy. Love.

Heather June 9, 2010 at 9:11 am

i did pancake wednesday because there was no time to pull out the waffle iron…but i will just pretend i’m eating yours :) they look better than mine anyway!

Heather Eats Almond Butter June 9, 2010 at 9:19 am

Heather, Happy to share. :)

dorrybird June 9, 2010 at 9:17 am

That looks scrumptious! I agree about Eggo waffles and I love your creativity in satisfying your cravings with nutritious improvisations! You could write a whole book on it – and I’d read it for sure!

saltytooth June 9, 2010 at 9:22 am

Love Eggo waffles, although I can’t remember the last time I had one. In college, on really hot days, I even ate them while they were still frozen. Gross, I know.

Krystina June 9, 2010 at 9:24 am

YUM!

Mara @ What's For Dinner? June 9, 2010 at 9:54 am

I’m with you on the Eggo love! We tend to use the special K Eggos here, and they never last long! I remember the cinnamon bread ones… they were 4 little pieces of bread-shaped waffle that were stuck together to equal the size of a regular waffle. They rocked!

JavaChick June 9, 2010 at 9:54 am

Agree – I don’t buy them often, but Eggo waffles are the best toaster waffles!

Stacy (StacyGrowsHealthy) June 9, 2010 at 10:05 am

That looks delicious. I am overflowing with strawberries, so I’ll have to make a batch of the sweetened berries.

Hayley June 9, 2010 at 10:45 am

HAHA.. I need to go back and reread yesterday’s comments now!

Katherine: What About Summer? June 9, 2010 at 10:46 am

ice cream on a waffle; wounderbar!

(you should run a restaurant like the Everything On a Waffle book)

Megan @ The Oatmeal Diaries June 9, 2010 at 11:05 am

I definitely participated in Waffle Wednesday today! Too bad I didn’t see the post before and then I could have had a delicious strawberry shortcake waffle. I am really into the Nature’s Path Maple Cinn lately!

Ozlem June 9, 2010 at 11:06 am

I desperately need to get my hands on these guams for some yummy ice cream!! ASAP!!

Ozlem June 9, 2010 at 11:06 am

ooppss gums I meant guar and xanthan

Stefanie June 9, 2010 at 11:15 am

Lovly looking waffles. :)

Sarena (The Non-Dairy Queen) June 9, 2010 at 12:06 pm

I love making a meal out of strawberry shortcake! It is so funny how some people look at the way we eat and think we restrict ourselves, but seriously…when you can make a healthier version of a sinful treat…and eat it as a complete meal! WIN! YUM!

Heather Eats Almond Butter June 9, 2010 at 2:21 pm

Sarena, Agreed! I bought corn flour and rice flour – dreaming of waffles. ;) PS – Also just received Scrabble doc. from Netflix – I’ve been channeling you today. Hehe.

Courtney June 9, 2010 at 12:41 pm

Your suggestion to thaw Eggos in the fridge overnight before eating has changed my relationship with waffles forever. Bless you HEAB, and all your waffle glory.

Heather Eats Almond Butter June 9, 2010 at 2:27 pm

Courtney, Hehe – you’re welcome. :)

Teshon June 9, 2010 at 12:42 pm

Just wanted to say THANK YOU for the protein ice cream recipe. I came across your blog yesterday and it was the first thing I zeroed in on:) It made my day.

Heather Eats Almond Butter June 9, 2010 at 2:25 pm

Teshon, So happy to hear it. Enjoy. :)

Ana June 9, 2010 at 12:47 pm

Ok, that protein ice cream on top made it, looks amazingly good! I want a vitamix and some gum, asap!

julie June 9, 2010 at 12:48 pm

WHY in the world do i not have waffles right now. i would be eating this for dinner for sure if i had some dang waffles on hand!

i will be buying waffles ASAP this weekend :) thanks girl!

Diana (Soap & Chocolate) June 9, 2010 at 12:57 pm

Mmm, now that I have an uber blender, I might have to give this protein ice cream thing a shot – sounds perfect with the pancake/waffle combo!

I’m sorry I missed out on the embarrassing food confessions, so I will belatedly admit that as a kid, I was known to sometimes eat butter right out of the foil packets at restaurants. Gag!

mapledreams June 9, 2010 at 12:57 pm

i don’t think i’d have this delicious looking meal for breakfast but i’d definitely try iit for a snack!! it looks delicious and it really IS amazing what you can do with waffles. so many glorious combinations!! x

eatmovelove June 9, 2010 at 1:12 pm

Oh wow – you had me at Shortcake to be honest ;) …and I love the pink colors ;)

Strawberries are the bomb – I bought a fresh pint locally grown yesterday and they’re almost all gone…that’s a lot o’ suga’ ;) – I find them sweet enough on their own. Ice cream with strawberries and bannanas now that’s even better…

Justine June 9, 2010 at 1:52 pm

I had “strawberry shortcake” overnight oats for breakfast this morning. It seems as though simmer has inspired everyone to make their own versions of strawberry shortcake. :)

bitesandbliss June 9, 2010 at 2:20 pm

I do that all the time, too! Like with most my meals, the amount of veggies I actually eat is twice as much as what’s in the photo. But you know, we get the idea! It’s what you eat..not how much of it ;) Usually the rule’s reversed but in this case it’s right.

homecookedem June 9, 2010 at 2:31 pm

Hehe!!!!! ;) I’m TOTALLY lovin on the eggo waffles!! :) I actually had a bit of a panic attack yesterday morning when I realized we had run out and I had to settle for a bagel. But no worries, I restocked last night so I got my fix this morning!! :) Eggo waffles are the best!! :)

runnerforever June 9, 2010 at 2:43 pm

Looks good! I agree that Eggos are still the top frozen waffles.

Kelsey June 9, 2010 at 2:54 pm

thanks for linking to SlimSweet im gonna go check that out. im having some of the same issues with stevia that u mentioned way back. eek

yay for ur waffles!!! nom nom nom <3

Heather Eats Almond Butter June 9, 2010 at 3:01 pm

Kelsey, SlimSweet is great – a little pricey, but no funky aftertaste.

livelifeeatright June 9, 2010 at 3:51 pm

This looks even better than strawberry short cake!! I’ve been loving strawberries too…tis the season and my how DIVINE they have been!

Jenn (Jenn's Menu and Lifestyle Blog) June 9, 2010 at 4:42 pm

I was actually craving strawberry shortcake today! This virtually-satisfied me. :)

Jenn

rebecca lustig June 9, 2010 at 5:34 pm

ahh i knew i loved Wednesdays for a reason..

hope you have a great night
love love love– bec

Amber at Berlinswhimsy June 9, 2010 at 7:06 pm

That looks oh so yummy. I’m going to have to try it. I have to admit that I’ve never had an Eggo Waffle! Now I definitely have a reason to try one!

Heather, do you know anything about Xanthum gum and Guar gum during pregnancy? I thought maybe you might have some info about it (like how much is okay, etc).

Heather Eats Almond Butter June 10, 2010 at 7:43 am

Amber, I’ve heard the effects of large amounts of xanthan gum are unknown, but small amounts are fine. It’s contained in many of the foods we eat, and so I don’t worry much about adding 1/4 tsp to my Vita-Mix ice-creams. As far as guar gum goes, I haven’t heard anything about it regarding pregnancy. Now, go buy a box of Eggos! :)

Mary (A Merry Life) June 9, 2010 at 7:21 pm

That’s such a fun alternative to strawberry shortcake. Eggo waffles rock.

The Pancake Girl June 9, 2010 at 7:25 pm

Oh gosh, I adore Eggos! I used to love them when I was a kid- they were my go-to breakfast before school. I wasn’t a cereal sort of kid… And that strawberry shortcake? Gorgeous!

Happy Wednesday HEAB!

Annie D. @ Annie's Simple Life June 9, 2010 at 7:36 pm

OMG Heather that looks SOOOO good!!

BroccoliHut June 9, 2010 at 11:03 pm

You’re making me think I need to get reacquainted with Eggos again!

maxinthegym June 10, 2010 at 12:34 am

I’ve always been more of a pancake girl but your posts on waffles and Eggos are really tempting me to give waffles a whirl!

That looks so amazingly delicious!

Samantha June 10, 2010 at 2:29 am

Another must try,been awhile since protein ice cream has made an appearance here.

Gena June 10, 2010 at 5:00 am

Beautiful brekkie!

Susan June 18, 2010 at 8:26 am

I totally opened this post up while I was in Banff but didn’t comment at the time because I was at a hostel computer and my paid time was spent drooling over the photo instead ;) I LOVE this. I mustmust replicate. Although, I’m thinking whipped cream cheese instead of ice cream… yummm. Now YOU are my waffle muse!! xoxo

Heather Eats Almond Butter June 18, 2010 at 11:05 am

Susan, Yes, you must! It’s so yummy, and I am officially obsessed with waffles and protein ice-cream now. :)

{ 2 trackbacks }