Enjoying Comfort Food

by HEAB on June 10, 2010

I slept 12 hours last night, 12 wonderful hours. I was in bed by 8 PM and did not get up until 8 AM when Chris woke me up to tell my Bye. Always so good to get caught up on sleep…perhaps it was all the yummy food I ate yesterday. :)

After a 65 minute online yoga session, I met up with Justine for the best lunch yesterday. Honestly, I think she and I could have stayed for hours talking and shut down the restaurant. Justine, I love you – thanks for being such a good friend!

We dined at Mediterranean Cuisine as Justine had never been there, and as you know, when Justine and I get together, hummus is always involved. :)

I ordered the lamb gyro on whole wheat pita bread with a side of tabouleh salad.

Where is the hummus you ask? No worries, Justine ordered it along with some Baba Ghanoush. Good times, good food! Justine was also kind enough to bring me some photocopied recipes from her new favorite cookbook.

Picture 4.png

I flipped through them and decided to make a yummy dinner for me and CD. That’s twice I’ve cooked this week, and my appetite is almost back in full swing. I still can’t handle the smell of vegetables cooking, but I’m hoping to be loving on some broccoli and Brussels sprouts soon. However, last night, I opted for some true comfort food, chicken pot pie. I’ve never made a chicken pot pie, and I cannot believe how easy this recipe was to make!

in perfect Justine style, I shall leave you with my Confession of the Day: I would like to say that the topping of our chicken pot pie was made from 100% whole grain flour, but nope, it was 100% Bisquick. I have never in my life bought Bisquick, but I have to admit it tasted really good! Ha, I cannot tell you how much being pregnant has really made me relax around so many of my rules. First off, I’m not able to do any strenuous yoga these days, but I’m okay with that. I am loving my gentle prenatal yoga classes! Even if my arms are missing all those Chaturangas, my body is truly enjoying all the deep breathing and stretching I’m doing these days, and as far as food goes, I’m so less restrictive than I used to be. A little Bisquick? Why not? My former self would have wanted to attend the most challenging 90 minute vinyasa class I could find, followed by a salad at Mediterranean Cuisine (skipping both the lamb and pita bread), and then I probably would have made the chicken pot pie, but skipped the biscuit topping altogether. So, even though I haven’t felt that great these last few months, I am grateful for all that the little HEABlet is already teaching me. :)

Have you learned any unexpected lessons lately?

P.S. If you get a chance, please head over to The Great Balancing Act for my blogger interview with Susan, the waffle expert. :)

Beth June 10, 2010 at 8:57 am

Haha HEABlet! I love it.

I haven’t really learned and new lessons lately, but I’ve recommitted myself to being on track effective June 1. I had a business trip in there so got slightly off track, but paying attention to my water intake, getting lots of fruits and veggies, doing strength training.. I almost forgot how good it all makes me feel!

Chocolate-Covered Katie June 10, 2010 at 8:57 am

Heablet? LOL too cute.

P.S. Watch out for Leroy in the next few days :)

Heather Eats Almond Butter June 10, 2010 at 9:02 am

Katie, I’m on the lookout. Had a moment for you at breakfast this morning when I enjoyed a big blob of frozen dark choc. dreams PB. It’s been months! Oh my gosh, it tasted so good. I thought *Katie would be so proud*. :)

Chocolate-Covered Katie June 10, 2010 at 8:58 am

Oh, and I don’t know that I’ve learned ANYthing lately… my mind went on vacation after school let out :)

kbwood June 10, 2010 at 9:01 am

aww so glad you got all that sleep girl! you are beautiful <3

Jessica @ How Sweet June 10, 2010 at 9:02 am

It is great that pregnancy is having such a wonderful effect on you, Heather! :) And I love ‘HEABlet.’ Hahahah. :)

I always have Bisquick on hand, and though we also don’t use it regularly, it is delicious!

Ashley June 10, 2010 at 9:04 am

I love how when you learn new things you teach us those lessons. It really helps ground us. Love you Heath! You are simply radiant!

Heather June 10, 2010 at 9:07 am

my mouth is seriously watering right now…what an awesome dinner!

eatmovelove June 10, 2010 at 9:08 am

I love your posts lately HEAB.

Your little HEABLET sounds like a pure genius to me! Absolutely.

I love it. Rules are allowed to be relaxed – or simply modified/changed. Otherwise, life is too rigid and structured and boring – in every facet (not just food here! talking money, jobs, relationships…). Variety is key. Love it all.

I’ve seen that book! I so want to make chicken pot pie now…hmmm…pick up some Bisquick maybe? ;)

momof2 June 10, 2010 at 9:09 am

I LOVE Bisquik — it is so QUICK lol

you can do so much with it

try making quiche using it

you look great in the pics, such healthy hair !!
I hate you ;-(

Heather Eats Almond Butter June 10, 2010 at 9:11 am

Momof2, quiche? I must try this! I’ll swap you some healthy hair for the recipe. ;)

BethT June 10, 2010 at 9:26 am

I’m also pregnant (5 months) and relaxing a lot of rules. If you can’t do it now, when can you? I see nothing wrong with enjoying a little white bread or Bisquick, or a few full fat potato chips if that’s what sounds good to me :) I’m not “eating for two” but rather honoring my cravings and enjoying this time of relaxation and nurturing.

Heather Eats Almond Butter June 10, 2010 at 9:29 am

BethT, Many congrats to you, and so happy to hear you’re feeling good and enjoying your pregnancy. Loving on some chips myself these days. ;)

Kelly June 10, 2010 at 9:27 am

Good for you! This kind of goes along with what I posted today! There are NO bad foods only BAD choices! So Bisquick is not bad; eating it everyday would be a bad choice. Everything (and I do mean everything) can be consumed and enjoyed in moderation. I am so glad that being pregnant is allowing you to explore and enjoy food maybe a tad more!

Ana June 10, 2010 at 9:31 am

Yum lunch and dinner! Read your blog interview, really nice! (I don’t like the dark either! haha!)
Reading your blog is a lesson in itself Heather, I learned more and more lately that I should really listen to my body needs!
Oh, and I love your hair too! :o )

Heather Eats Almond Butter June 10, 2010 at 9:47 am

Thanks Ana. :) PS – comforting to know I’m not the only one afraid of the dark.

saltytooth June 10, 2010 at 9:37 am

Yum, the chicken pot pie looks great!

Lately, I’m learning to be comfortable in my own skin and to now let food/exercise choices get me down. Tomorrow’s a new day, and I’m not going to ruin it with negative thoughts!

Alyssa June 10, 2010 at 10:15 am

You should try Bisquick HeartSmart– it literally tastes the same and I feel better knowing its *slightly* healthier.

Heather Eats Almond Butter June 10, 2010 at 10:18 am

Alyssa, That’s what I used, and I’m now looking up Bisquick recipes online. Hehe – must step away from the box!

A Teenage Gourmet June 10, 2010 at 10:38 am

Gyro’s are the best. You have me craving one now.

dorrybird June 10, 2010 at 11:00 am

I love me some online yoga! Your Mediterranean food pics just helped me decide what to have for lunch today :)

You sure are a beautiful, glowing pregnant lady!

Heather Eats Almond Butter June 10, 2010 at 11:55 am

Thanks so much Dorrybird. :)

bitesandbliss June 10, 2010 at 11:36 am

So your pregnancy cravings have you laxing on the rules instead of killing for pickles and peanut butter. haha! :P I remember those days when white bread was the bomb and wheat bread was disgusting..no way were we going near the actual grainy bread! I bet that pot pie was delicious and the crust was super crumbly in all it’s buttery goodness :) mmmmmmm

annecalista June 10, 2010 at 11:39 am

That is awesome. Pregnancy is so interesting!

Sagan June 10, 2010 at 11:52 am

That’s great that you’re listening to your body and rolling with what works for you. It’s inspiring, Heather!

PS While I love waking up early, sometimes it is SO nice to get hours upon hours of sleep. We can be too hard on our bodies.

fartygirl June 10, 2010 at 12:20 pm

Bisquick is delicious. That’s the thing about processed food. It’s easy and it tastes awesome.

Samantha Angela @ Bikini Birthday June 10, 2010 at 12:24 pm

I’m glad you picked the gyro over just a salad. I’ve been craving a gyro for a couple weeks now! I’m living vicariously through you and the HEABlet

Brandi June 10, 2010 at 12:27 pm

sometimes, you just need bisquik :)

I’m so glad to hear you got a good night’s sleep and are getting your appetite back!!!

Jen June 10, 2010 at 12:30 pm

I love this post. It is so true that sometimes we all need to take a look at our rules and not be so hard on ourselves. I just had an experience with this Tuesday night and it’s so nice to just give yourself a break sometimes.

Sarena (The Non-Dairy Queen) June 10, 2010 at 12:37 pm

Would you believe that I was thinking about tabouleh today?! I am having a strange craving for it!!! Kids are great for intuitive eating! I swear, they know what to do!!! I have definitely let my guard down a lot lately. It is kind of liberating when you get to the point that you are ok with just letting go. Don’t get me wrong…I am still me, but will a little bit of relaxation mixed it! Oh and congrats on the sleeping! I finally slept in today! I got 9 hours of sleep last night! I set my alarm to get up and work out, but since it is my anniversary, I just stayed and cuddled. I also exchanged my workout with cutting the grass…that is my gift to my husband who works his butt off for me. Enjoy your afternoon!

lissa10279 June 10, 2010 at 12:37 pm

It sounds like pregnancy couldn’t have come at a better time for you — the lessons you’re learning about your body through the HEABlet are life-long ones and amazing ones. Relaxing the rules, living a little … one thing I learned on my disordered eating recovery journey is that it’s OK to enjoy life — it’s hard to break from perfectionist tendencies, but life’s much more fun with a little Biquick or pita than without. I hope you can continue to enjoy these relaxed rules even after he/she is here. Congrats on your progress!! It’s awesome to see!! :) :)

Heather Eats Almond Butter June 10, 2010 at 12:40 pm

Thanks Lissa. I hope I can stay relaxed after the HEABlet arrives as well. :)

alli June 10, 2010 at 12:43 pm

that looks great! so glad you’re appetite is coming back :)
im almost 26 weeks along and used to love roasted brussel sprouts and homemade sweet potato fries…i think i’ve tried them twice since getting pregnant. unfortunatly i think i’ll have to wait a few more months until i enjoy them like i used to. hopefully you won’t have to wait that long!

i’m really learning to intuitively eat since i’ve got someone else depending on me. before i maybe wouldn’t have eaten when i felt hungry because i thought i ate enough already, or i would eat too much and not listen to the “im full” warning. i am much more miserable if i overeat these days…same goes for if i get hungry and theres no food around-miserable AND cranky! :)

Heather Eats Almond Butter June 10, 2010 at 12:48 pm

Alli, Me too. Now, I eat when I’m hungry. Don’t know why it took me so long to actually listen to my body. So happy to hear you are listening as well. :)

homecookedem June 10, 2010 at 12:44 pm

I just love that you’ve found much more freedom when it comes to food!! I have too!! :)

Marilou @ Mostly Healthy June 10, 2010 at 12:51 pm

It nice to say that you put things in perspective now and listen more your body than any rules you can have :)

Run Sarah June 10, 2010 at 12:52 pm

You definitely deserved a wonderful sleep! I haven’t tried Bisquick before but it sounds like a much easier way to make a casserole/pot pie. Glad you are feeling more free with your eating – pita bread with Greek food is a must!

marshell y. Roper June 10, 2010 at 1:08 pm

I am officially addicted to Zumba dancing. I would have never thought that in my wildest dreams that I would open my mind to something like that. It is tiring, but my mind and body is so full of energy now. I am no longer craving sugar like I used to and the weight is coming off!!!! Totally unexpected!!!

Heather Eats Almond Butter June 10, 2010 at 1:10 pm

Marshell, So exciting! I’m happy to hear that you have found an exercise you truly love as I firmly believe that workouts are something we should never dread!

Sarah (from See Sarah Eat) June 10, 2010 at 1:11 pm

So glad you got some sleep! I too am learning to be more free with my eating these days. I’m being more intuitive and not calorie counting; following my cravings but keeping portion control too. It’s been fun! :)

Mama Pea June 10, 2010 at 1:34 pm

Having a little one on board (and off) really taught me a lot about balance, priorities and what is important. Baby wants Bisquick, baby gets Bisquick.

How hot is Rocco? And Justine? And you, glowy Mama? Ow ow!

Heather Eats Almond Butter June 10, 2010 at 2:04 pm

Love you Mama Pea. Oh my gosh, you should see the people stare at Justine when we go out together. Girl is gorgeous!

Melissa @ For the Love of Health June 10, 2010 at 2:02 pm

What a wonderful blog! I read Susan’s and I see she interviewed you and I haven’t had the pleasure of reading your blog until now!
*bookmarked* :-)

Heather Eats Almond Butter June 10, 2010 at 2:03 pm

Thanks Melissa – glad you found me! :)

Maggie June 10, 2010 at 2:19 pm

I love bisquick :)

Heather Eats Almond Butter June 10, 2010 at 4:58 pm

Maggie, What’s your favorite recipe for it?

The Fit Collegiate June 10, 2010 at 2:53 pm

I’ve always wanted to try Med Cuisine but haven’t–it’s on our Commodore Card! Your picture of that gyro has persuaded me to give it a go in the fall. I love Mediterranean food, after all!

What a wonderful sleep! Aren’t those the best, when you hit the pillow and clonk out for 12 hours??

Heather Eats Almond Butter June 10, 2010 at 4:53 pm

Anna, Let’s meet there for lunch when you get back in town! :)

snackface June 10, 2010 at 3:07 pm

Gosh, Heather, I love this! I love how much you’re embracing things that are just downright GOOD. I’ve been realizing some things lately, too. This is my last week of college ever, and instead of taking hours to go to the gym, I’ve been spending all my time with my best friends. I’ve also been eating like a college student (ice cream, fried things, cheese, pizza)! Hahaha It’s crazy because I was nothing like this for the majority of my four years, so in my last week I really wanted to do it right!

Heather Eats Almond Butter June 10, 2010 at 4:58 pm

Snackface, Glad we’re both enjoying life a little more. Best of luck in your last week of school!

Justine June 10, 2010 at 3:13 pm

It never fails to throw me for a loop when you mention Justine on your blog as her and ishare that name. :)

julie June 10, 2010 at 3:25 pm

ohh i love roccos new cookbook :) i made the black bean brownies and the navy bean cookies and both were SO good! can’t wait to see which other ones you make :)

janetha June 10, 2010 at 3:30 pm

i am sorry but that guy’s face on the cookbook just made me laugh so hard. it’s like he is giving sex eyes to all the chefs out there!

Heather Eats Almond Butter June 10, 2010 at 4:56 pm

Whateves J. Bean, you know you want him. No worries – I won’t tell your fiance. ;)

Katie June 10, 2010 at 3:33 pm

Re: yoga – Be encouraged with your deep breathing stuff! When I delivered my little Naomi, breathing deep enough was the thing I struggled with the most (I had a lot of back labor). I wished I’d practiced it more, and vowed I would practice better the next time I (Lord willing) get pregnant. So many things are not applicable from one person’s pregnancy to another, but I am pretty sure it’s safe to promise that, come L&D time, you will not regret any moment you spent practicing that deep breathing! :) Your arms will be ok… right now you’re working out the right way for the big event you’re training for! :)

Re: sleep – YAY you! I can REALLY empathize with being excited about getting good sleep! I’m learning to “let go” of so many pressures and expectations and things these days, for the sake of not being stressed out as a new mommy (something Naomi is teaching me – priorities!! Anything that makes me a snippy mama to my 6-month-old is NOT WORTH IT), but one thing I am trying to be really disciplined about is going to sleep when she goes to sleep. I am not a good napper, but if I can get to bed by 9 or 9:30, it makes a huge difference in how I feel, even with 1 or 2 night feedings. Every night I grumble about it, but every morning/day I feel 50% better than I do on days I let myself stay up.

I love that you are already taking notice of things the Heablet is teaching you – babies are amazing teachers!

Jenny June 10, 2010 at 4:05 pm

I’ve learned that there is always good in every situation, even if you can’t see it at first!

jenny (green food diaries) June 10, 2010 at 4:48 pm

mmm i want some Baba Ghanoush now. i can always count on your blog to give me middle eastern eats cravings, HEABs!

something i learned recently – the best diet for me includes both raw food AND minimally prepared cooked foods — so far, all vegan. DEFINITELY need at least two servings of dense carbs a day, for both practicality/sanity sake AND for my digestion. this came as a big surprise! i’ve been happily gobbling up lots of steamed sweet potatoes, beets, and quinoa.

Heather Eats Almond Butter June 10, 2010 at 4:54 pm

Jenny, Isn’t it great to find out what works for our bodies? We’re all so different, and sometimes it just takes some trial and error. :)

Rebecca @ How the Cookies Crumble June 10, 2010 at 4:58 pm

I think it’s great your being a little relaxed on your rules. I believe in everything in moderation and clearly HEABlet does too! That cookbook look like it has some great healthy comfort food recipes!

justine June 10, 2010 at 5:15 pm

Heabers!!! I love you! Your the greatest. I can count on our lunches to keep me happy for the rest of the week :) . Tell Chris I said good luck (isn’t he running tonight?), pat that belly for me. I cant wait to have a lunch with you at Silly Goose.

~Justine <3

Heather Eats Almond Butter June 10, 2010 at 6:35 pm

Justine, Yep, Chris ran a mile race and did pretty well. Patting belly right now. It’s large and in charge tonight. :)

Katherine: What About Summer? June 10, 2010 at 5:35 pm

I enjoyed reading. The idea of comfort is lovely!

Laura June 10, 2010 at 5:42 pm

To be honest, I’ve been enjoying your blog a lot more recently, since you’ve eased up on the “food rules” a bit! :) I’m all about the “mental health food” these days, after too many years of destroying myself with a similarly stringent set of rules about food. It’s interesting to me, though, that you now let yourself eat more of the foods that, prior to being pregnant, you would have deemed “too unhealthy”. It’s always seemed to me that in being pregnant and suddenly not completely “owning” your body for awhile and being responsible for the life of someone else in the most literal of ways, most people suddenly tidy up their diet and lifestyle and start eating and behaving in the most “healthy” way possible for the well-being of their child. Which is exactly what I think you’re doing now, by eating a more truly balanced diet and taking a more relaxed and calm approach to eating and life, by the sounds of it. Do you think that says something about your previous food rules, that maybe they aren’t really the healthiest way to live? I hope I’m not offending you; it’s absolutely none of my business what you or anyone but myself chooses to eat, I’m just genuinely interested if you’ve had a kind of mental shift in the way you see food these days, and if you think it will impact your lifestyle once the baby is born. I’m not suggesting that you switch to the sadly typical western style of eating; I definitely think everyone should eat a predominantly unprocessed, nutrient-rich diet, but I also believe that it’s *more* healthy to eat treats and be open to trying a little of most things if the opportunity arises, and that it’s possible to maintain a healthy weight (and essential to maintaining a healthy mind) by doing so.

Stacy (StacyGrowsHealthy) June 10, 2010 at 6:18 pm

I am trying to be more middle of the road. I have a habit of setting strict rules for myself, then breaking one and going somewhat crazy. I am doing better trying to get in veggies and fruit, but not beating myself up if I have some ice cream or other goodie.

Kellie June 10, 2010 at 7:35 pm

I have learned many lessons this week.

Sarah June 10, 2010 at 8:02 pm

You are a radiant pregnant woman. I love how you just glow. (Your smile is probably always that big and beautiful, but pregnancy fits you well!) Just thought I’d share.

Heather Eats Almond Butter June 10, 2010 at 8:46 pm

Thanks Sarah. :)

Nicole June 10, 2010 at 8:16 pm

I loved this post! Your little HEABlit is already teaching you things. Love it.
SOOO glad you’re feeling better <3

seemichellecook June 10, 2010 at 9:44 pm

Ah Bisquick…I grew up eating little biscuits with the Sunday roast thinking that my mom baked them herself! They were the best part of the meal. She would also scoop them onto a big pot of stew for dumplings……very yummy memories. Funny….I also had a wicket aversion to Broccoli during pregnancy (my fav veggie) but about 1 week after both girls were born I was craving it. Can’t wait to see what happens with you!

BroccoliHut June 10, 2010 at 10:04 pm

I hope you’re back to loving on some broccoli soon too:)
I had a nibble of Bisquick the other day too, as part of my sister’s strawberry shortcakes–pretty tasty! At least it was the “heart-smart” kind, so I’m not stressing. Life’s too short to not enjoy a little Bisquick now and then.

Averie (LoveVeggiesAndYoga) June 10, 2010 at 10:14 pm

Love that you met up w/ Justine. She is amazing and I loved her blog..and her :)

Anyway, Bisquick, rules, the whole bit. Yeah. Pregnancy will do that. That’s why ppl who are like “I will never allow my child to do x or eat y.” Well, maybe. But then again, you may change your tune.

I was so sick that I couldnt even walk, much less do yoga for the first half. The 2nd half, I could kinda walk a few blocks. Then take a barf break. I kid you not, it was rough but hey, I made it :)

Speaking of yoga…right after you left me that comment, thank you :) I posted and there’s a pic of Skylar doing a chaturanga all by herself today. I was like wtf? she’s 3! So your heablet will do yoga one day, even if you’re not doing it now.

Have fun finding a weighed babe for the ‘Hawk! Or go to a local babywearing class/group (meetup or yahoogroups) and ask a mom to wear her baby. Trust me, she’ll be thrilled for the break to go pee alone LOL

xoxo

Katie June 10, 2010 at 10:18 pm

I actually just wrote an entire post yesterday about things I have learned (unexpectedly) while on vacation for the past few weeks. Not all food related, but sometimes you need to take a minute and reflect on these things.

FYI – I have noticed in all of your recent photos (because I was still reading, though not commenting much) that you are really glowing! The HEABlet + your even more laid-back attitude are really doing wonders for you, in spite of the lack of sleep and icky stomach.

Heather Eats Almond Butter June 11, 2010 at 7:06 am

Thanks Katie, and I’m happy to hear you had a good time in England!

marla {family fresh cooking} June 10, 2010 at 10:20 pm

OK, How preggers are you?? I have missed loads, but here I am seeing whassup. A BIG congrats. Saw your new avatar on Twitter today and had to check in. Thrilling that you are pregnant. Yup, lots of cravings and things change when you are. Just embrace it and enjoy the ride. I was a carb/cheese & chocolate queen when I was pregnant. Did not crave my usual veggies and salmon. xxoo

Heather Eats Almond Butter June 11, 2010 at 7:08 am

Hey Marla, I’m 17 weeks preggo, and yes, totally craving cheese like crazy. In fact, that and cereal are my two favorites these days. Who am I?!? ;)

Allie (Protein Girl) June 11, 2010 at 6:40 am

So relieved to hear that you’re feeling kinda sorta normal with some appetite. The world will not be the same until I hear of you eating Brussels Sprouts pizza with humnut for breakfast…

xoxo!

A

maxinthegym June 11, 2010 at 7:47 am

Ahh! I love Rocco DiSpirito! I remember seeing him on The Biggest Loser and then looking up his recipes!

That chicken pot pie looks delicious! Well, all the food looks delicious! If you crave the Bisquick, then eat the Bisquick hahhaa