A Manly Meal

by HEAB on June 12, 2010

Yesterday, I fried up a steak for breakfast. Ha, I felt like such a man.

Into my heated cast iron skillet went 1 tsp of ghee, and then I plopped my salted grass-fed finished ranch steak into the sizzling butter. After about 3 minutes, I flipped and allowed the other side to brown for about another 90 seconds. Alongside my steak, I made a hummus filled omelet. However, as I was loading it onto my plate, the hummus ended up on the counter. So, I spread some more on top. YUM!

I saved half the steak for my lunch…

Steak on a toasted EarthGrains multigrain thin bun with melted goat brie cheese and Bald Eagle Sauce x 2. Hey iron, what’s up? Damn straight.

Speaking of iron, look what arrived on my doorstep. Thank you iHerb!

Yummy Floradix liquid iron. Actually, I thought it tasted pretty good – like grape/pear juice or something. I’m taking 1 dose twice a day with meals. Hope it helps!

Oh, and still loving on some oat bran and frozen Reece’s. :)

Walk or yoga? Walk or yoga? Can’t decide, but first I must make a trip to Home Depot. CD and I doing a few small home renovations, and I feel like I live at Home Depot these days. Gotta get things ready for the HEABlet! :)

Tonight is date night…first time I’ve been out to dinner in over 4 months. We’re going here. What should I order?

Happy Saturday!

kbwood June 12, 2010 at 9:09 am

girl im upping my iron tooo!! red meat gives me soo much energy now. have you tried ostrich pattys? they are red meat and they are super lean, leaner than bison! and SO DELISH!

Heather Eats Almond Butter June 12, 2010 at 9:12 am

kbwood, I made ostrich patties a couple of years ago on the Foreman and totally overcooked them. Need to try again as I always hear such good things about ostrich meat. Enjoy your iron! :)

maren June 12, 2010 at 9:15 am

all the desserts at that place sound amazing! french coconut pie??
the real food sounds good too! i just always look at desserts first :)
hazelnut pesto salmon with lobster mashed taters yum

dorrybird June 12, 2010 at 9:39 am

That menu looks great – lots of options. Since you don’t go out often (I don’t either!), my rule of thumb is to order something I never make for myself at home. :) Have fun!!

Whitney of Whit's Kitch June 12, 2010 at 9:42 am

Hmm my comment didn’t go through earlier..wierd…

I woke up with the same craving today: PROTEIN PROTEIN PROTEIN. I whipped up some bacon and fried eggs topped w/ almond bread toast. It was DE-licious, but a steak would have been perfect!

Whitney

Heather Eats Almond Butter June 15, 2010 at 3:10 pm

Whitney, Wordpress spammed your comments, but I rescued them. :) Sometimes when you leave your URL in your comment, Wordpress doesn’t like it. However, hopefully it will now recognize your name and not block you. Sorry about that, and yes, steak for breakfast IS perfect! :)

Teri June 12, 2010 at 9:54 am

My order…which I would have to share, because my eyes are bigger than my belly =), would be:

Mediterranean Sampler
Fresh Mozzarella & Tiny Tomato Salad
Roasted Chicken Breast
& Best of all….Butter Pecan Bread Pudding (sea salt & caramel! YUM!!!)

Have a great date night!

Becki June 12, 2010 at 9:56 am

Can you get a sampler plate that has a little bit of everything on it :) ? It all looks amazing!

Heather Eats Almond Butter June 12, 2010 at 12:00 pm

Becki, I wish! Never hurts to ask. :)

Robyn jones clark June 12, 2010 at 10:13 am

Heather I got my floradix in the mail too. Are you taking two capfuls? It says 10 ml dosage bit the cup is 30 unless I’m just reading it wrong. :) I think it tastes fine.

Heather Eats Almond Butter June 12, 2010 at 12:08 pm

Robyn, Yeah, the cap is a bit confusing. I measured out the dose – 2 tsp, and it hits the 10 ml mark. Not sure why it goes up to 30. So, I pour in Floradix up to the 10 ml mark and take 1 capful right before breakfast and 1 right before lunch. Hope it helps you!

wendy @ ABCs and Garden Peas June 12, 2010 at 10:19 am

Oh that iron. Such a bugger. I’m low too, so I’m going to start putting blackstrap molasses in my oats. We’ll see…

Isn’t renovating for baby fun? When our room was done, I used to love sitting quietly in the baby’s room, rocking in the rocking chair, imagining what he might be like. I bought a seahorse that plays music and watery noises and I would sit that on my belly and play it. It’s his favorite at bedtime now!

Heather Eats Almond Butter June 12, 2010 at 12:06 pm

Wendy, It is fun, but we haven’t even started on the nursery yet. I’m saving that for last b/c that’s the room I’m looking forward to the most. However, gotta get the landscaping, countertops, and hardwood floors done first. Love that your little baby boy loves his seahorse – so cute! I’ve been playing lullabies on iTunes when I sit at the computer. I downloaded all these Rockababy lullabies, like the Pixies and the Beatles. Hope the little HEABlet is rockin out. :)

L @ Whole Wheat Or Bust! June 12, 2010 at 10:21 am

I chuckled out loud when I read ‘Damn straight.’
Anddd for your dinner I am definitely thinking you should order the salmon. Hazelnut pesto sounds very good. Although the trout sound good too. And both are d i f f e r e n t. I always look for uniqueness when ordering!
And perhaps some butter pecan bread pudding for dessert?……. ;)

Bethany June 12, 2010 at 10:37 am

Woohoo for date night! I have to try your bald eagle sauce… it looks so delicious!

Heather Eats Almond Butter June 12, 2010 at 12:02 pm

Bethany, Oh yes, you must try the Bald Eagle Sauce. I just finished off the last of mine. Must make more soon!

Sarah R June 12, 2010 at 10:41 am

Oh my, that menu has me swooning! I would order the Salmon (lobster mashed potatoes? seriously?!) or the Red Pony BLT, both sound super yummy! Enjoy your date night :)

lindsey June 12, 2010 at 10:41 am

maybe it’s because i’m craving bacon, but the pony blt sounds amazinggg :)

♥ lindsey

Natalie June 12, 2010 at 10:44 am

I think you aren’t into guac right now but the guacamole sounds fantastic! I think all the other stuff was meat on the entrees so I’m no help with that. Have a fun date night!

Anna June 12, 2010 at 10:45 am

Okay, THAT is a badass breakfast!!

Have fun on date night!!!

homecookedem June 12, 2010 at 10:47 am

Everything on their menu sounds great! If it were me going I’d probably choose between the Red Pony BLT and the shrimp and grits… it all sounds good though! You have a tough decision ahead of you!! ;) Have a wonderful dinner tonight!!

missyrayn June 12, 2010 at 10:52 am

I actually like walking around Home Depot thinking of all the fun things I could do to a house if I had house :-)

nadine June 12, 2010 at 10:56 am

Holy Cow…Or Holy bacon! That menu is soooooo incredibly different than what we see here on the California coast. They seem to have managed to put cheese or bacon everywhere! You must be feeling better, or you obviously wouldn’t be taking this on. We’ll be waiting to see if you are feeling manly and brave or if you slip into the mediterranean comfort zone.

Heather Eats Almond Butter June 12, 2010 at 11:51 am

Nadine, That’s the south for you. However, I am leaning towards some hummus lovin. :)

Jess June 12, 2010 at 11:01 am

You HAVE to order the blondies for dessert–sound so good! They’re topped with gelato and strawberries :D That’s what hit me on the menu!
<3 jess
xoxo

Jessica @ How Sweet June 12, 2010 at 11:08 am

I love steak, but I have never had it for breakfast. Right about now my husband is wishing you were his wife.

Evan Thomas June 12, 2010 at 11:14 am

Yes! I love it. I don’t understand how some people can skip breakfast or just drink a light juice. I need something big and heavy like a steak sometimes just to hold me over until lunch

Heather Eats Almond Butter June 12, 2010 at 11:48 am

Evan, Me too. I used to skip breakfast and drink coffee all morning. I was so grumpy and starving by noon. What was I thinking?!?

gina (fitnessista) June 12, 2010 at 11:27 am

i’m going to look into that supplement- thank you for posting it!
hope you have a fun date night with christian dior :)
saw the pic in the last post- you look so beautiful, as always.
i’m so excited for the heablet!!!!!
xoxo

Heather Eats Almond Butter June 12, 2010 at 11:47 am

Gina, I’m so behind on your life! When does your bakery open???

Sarena (The Non-Dairy Queen) June 12, 2010 at 11:28 am

My husband would have totally said hell yeah to that breakfast! What no bonnaroo for you this weekend? How could you miss out on that kind of fun? For dinner…I would start with the Mediterranean Sampler…heck, who am I foolin? I would have that as my main course and then dram about having the French Coconut Pie…I may need to make one of those soon! Enjoy your evening with your man!

Heather Eats Almond Butter June 12, 2010 at 11:46 am

Sarena, I used to think about going to Bonnaroo – such great acts every year, but then I hear the weather and traffic reports, and I just listen to iTunes instead. Hope you have a good weekend as well! :)

lindsay June 12, 2010 at 11:33 am

oh good, I’m not the only one that thinks floradiz is yummy. i could drink a lot more than a cap full, haha!
Have fun on your date! :)

Heather Eats Almond Butter June 12, 2010 at 11:44 am

Lindsay, I read somewhere that Floradix tasted like blood and rust mixed with apple juice. Glad to know you enjoy it as well – maybe it’s just been a long time since we’ve had 100% juice straight up. Hehe. :)

Lindsay June 12, 2010 at 12:07 pm

That menu looks delicious. I think their BLT looks really interesting and original. I try to opt for menu choices that I don’t think I could easily find elsewhere. Have a wonderful time!

eatmovelove June 12, 2010 at 12:15 pm

The Margherita pizza for sure…and any of those desserts ;) . Hummus plate sounds good too.

annecalista June 12, 2010 at 12:22 pm

Awesome, steak for breakfast :-) That should do the trick!

Carbzilla June 12, 2010 at 12:31 pm

Funny – I just bought that Floradix too, but then I had a bit of a tummy bug and haven’t tried it again. I just threw it in my smoothie so I’ll never have to know what it tastes like. :)

Kelly June 12, 2010 at 12:32 pm

Yum…that looks fantastic! I would definitely order shrimp and grits! Be me back to those Southern roots!

Laura June 12, 2010 at 12:41 pm

sounds a lovely place for a meal! i have no idea what i would chose! i think the best sounding starter is the tuna poke, the best sounding main would be the roasted chicken breast and for dessert the pecan butter pudding or the creme brulee. have a lovely time xx

Maggie June 12, 2010 at 1:16 pm

Tuna Poke and Sauteed Trout :)

Ana June 12, 2010 at 1:18 pm

Glad to know the floradix taste good, last time I tried iron in a liquid form id did taste like I was drinking rust, it was horrible. I am getting myself some floradix too!
I see another blob of frozen goodness with those strawberries, yum!!
Have fun at your date tonight, so exciting! And who knows what the cravings will be… let us know tomorrow what you choose from all those yummy options!

Jessica June 12, 2010 at 1:24 pm

Holy Reece’s deliciousness–picked some of the peanut butter up at our grocery store yesterday and had a mouthgasm!!!! The good news is my kids love the little frozen drops of goodness too so I won’t eat the whole jar myself!!!

Heather Eats Almond Butter June 13, 2010 at 7:20 am

Jessica, So glad you and the kids enjoyed it. I’m just keeping one frozen blob in the freezer at a time…otherwise, I think I could eat the whole jar too!

Melissa S. June 12, 2010 at 2:39 pm

heck yes for that steak! bring on that iron!!!

Mary @ Bites and Bliss June 12, 2010 at 4:11 pm

I think you should go with the Chocolate Demise. Dinner’s only the appetizer to dessert, anyway! ;)

Heather June 12, 2010 at 5:04 pm

hey, i’m all about the steak breakfast…i love red meat!

hayleycepeda June 12, 2010 at 5:32 pm

I’m so glad to hear the liquid iron stuff didn’t taste too bad! That’s a nice relief.. :) Your brekky looks good! I’m particularly interested in spreading hummus on my omelet next time I make one. Sounds yummy!!

This might be too late, but the trout sounds REALLY good on that menu! I think I’ve also been craving fish a lot lately, which is good because it was plentiful while we were in Greece! “Red Pony” looks like such a cool place! Enjoy your date night!

PS – I’m with you on Home Depot! ;)

Justine June 12, 2010 at 5:36 pm

I just found a jar of oat bran in my pantry- I’ll tale that as a sign. :)

Gaby June 12, 2010 at 6:08 pm

Steak and home depot, it doesn’t get much manlier than that! I need to try that frozen reese’s asap.
I wanted to do some yoga or move a bit today since I spent the week in DC with no “formal” exercise, but it seems all the sightseeing really wore me out. All I’ve wanted to do is lay around and read!
And if I’m pretending to eat meat, the salmon entree sounds incredible. I want to put a hazelnut pesto crust on something now. The truffled corn cream on the BLT also sounds really good.
I’m inspired to veganize! I can’t wait to see what you choose!

Pat June 12, 2010 at 7:22 pm

Wow, I don’t think we have a restaurant around here with such lovely, healthy choices and such a warm and welcoming ambience. Love their liquor selection too! The Nashville area certainly has changed since I visited in the early 80′s! I think I need to make another visit…hope you had a wonderful date!

Heather Eats Almond Butter June 13, 2010 at 7:25 am

Pat, I grew up in Nashville, and it’s amazing how much the city has changed. You definitely need to re-visit, and try the Red Pony. It was delicious!

runnerforever June 12, 2010 at 7:43 pm

So many runners get low on iron and are afraid to eat red meat, glad to see you getting some!

Stacy (StacyGrowsHealthy) June 12, 2010 at 7:58 pm

Oh I’m going to have to try the frozen dark chocolate dreams. Sounds wonderful! Have fun at dinner.

jacobc June 12, 2010 at 10:09 pm

Shrimp and grits with bread pudding… drools ;-)

So when do we find out if heablet’s room will be pink or blue?

Heather Eats Almond Butter June 13, 2010 at 7:24 am

Jacob, July 1. CD is 99.9% sure it’s a girl. We shall see. :)

shannon June 12, 2010 at 11:09 pm

So i have lost touch with the blog world for a couple months and got on tonight to catch up on your blog and see you have a baby bump. congratulations cant wait to see more pics.

Heather Eats Almond Butter June 13, 2010 at 7:22 am

Thanks Shannon. :)

A Teenage Gourmet June 13, 2010 at 12:07 am

I did the frozen PB thing- great trick! :)

Heather Eats Almond Butter June 13, 2010 at 7:22 am

A Teenage Gourmet, So glad you tried it. I have a Reeces blob everyday – so good! :)

maxinthegym June 13, 2010 at 3:28 am

Someone was definitely craving meat today! :D I had a burger today…totally feelin’ the red meat too!

Freezing peanut butter? I’m up for anything peanut butter! Hahaha I will give it a shot!

Tabitha June 13, 2010 at 3:51 am

Oh I really have to shake up my meals, I eat the same boring things all the time and come here to gaze in wonder!

Brynne June 13, 2010 at 6:00 am

HEABlet – so so so cute :0)

Gina June 13, 2010 at 10:09 am

Hi Heather! I’ve been following your blog for quite a while now, and I noticed that you orered the Floradix online. I live in Franklin and I thought you might like to know that they sell it at the Whole Foods out here in case you’re ever out this way and need to restock. I think that they started carrying it pretty recently so maybe they’ve started carrying it at yours as well. Glad to hear that you like the taste, I’ve always been a little scared to try it myself :)

Heather Eats Almond Butter June 13, 2010 at 11:40 am

Gina, Yes, I saw it at Whole Body here in Nashville, but it was cheaper online – I got 1 Floradix, some hair conditioner, and a few protein bars for a little less than what the 1 bottle of Floradix would have cost me at Whole Foods. I love iHerb.com, and shipping is free for orders over $40. Saves me a lot of money on supplements, beauty products, etc. since I already spend so much money at Whole Foods on food! However, thanks for the tip, and I promise, the Floradix really doesn’t taste too bad!

PS – I love hearing from local readers. :)

Samantha Angela @ Bikini Birthday June 13, 2010 at 7:34 pm

Red meat for breakfast is awesome.
Can you have livers? They’re chock full of iron.

Heather Eats Almond Butter June 14, 2010 at 7:49 am

Samantha, I can have liver but not a lot as it’s super high in vitamin A – too much for pregnant women. That being said, I did make myself some chicken liver pate last week…I loved it and hope to eat it every so often.

Katie June 14, 2010 at 11:19 am

Nice job killing the iron deficiency! But I have to say, that bottle of Floridix looks AND sounds like a bottle of plant food or MiracleGro or something…. :) :) I’m so glad it tastes better than that! Keep it up girl!

Nesting instinct – check! You’re on your way, Mama :)