Skip to content

Date Night

June 13, 2010

CD’s parents give us the most wonderful Christmas present every year. Once a month, they treat us to a date night. Sometimes it involves a concert or sporting event, but we always make sure it includes a delicious dinner…and last night was no exception.

I was so surprised by how many of you actually looked at The Red Pony’s menu online and gave me suggestions on what to order. I loved it and felt like you were all there with me. Seriously, at dinner, I was like well, so and so said we should try this, but so and so thinks we should get this. So thank you. Now, if only you could have really been there to taste the deliciousness – what an amazing restaurant!

We started out with the appetizer special…keep in mind we live in the South. ;)

Deep fried avocado halves filled with lump crab meat and horseradish cream sauce served with fried flour tortilla chips.

This dish reminded me how much I love fresh crab meat! I actually removed the fried skin from my avocado (so unnecessary in my opinion) but enjoyed several of the fried chips. :)

I then order the salmon but subbed the blue-cheese sweet corn risotto for the lobster mashed potatoes (my no-dairy rule usually goes straight out the window when we go out to dinner) and skipped the cream sauce. Who needs cream sauce when you have all that delicious pesto?

Another reminder – I freakin love pesto and need to make it more often! The salmon was cooked perfectly and tasted so fresh. The risotto was okay…I couldn’t really taste the blue cheese, but Chris shared some of his with me. Taking Carolyn’s advice, CD went with the Beef Tenderloin Pizza…and it was definitely NOT light on the blue cheese.

This pizza is on the appetizer menu, but is definitely an entire meal in and of itself. Yum!

We were too full to order dessert and left the restaurant to walk around downtown Franklin. After about a 5 minute walk, I decided I still had a bit of room left for some frozen yogurt from here, my favorite self-serve frozen yogurt spot in all of Nashville. We split a small cup of vanilla and butter brickle yogurt. CD is a big fan of toppings, and so we added cookie dough, chocolate covered almonds, brownies, and whipped cream. Truth be told, I ate all of the whipped cream and a few bites of yogurt and was done. So full!

Thanks for a wonderful date night CD (thanks to your parents as well!), and many thanks to all of you who were there in spirit. It was a lovely evening. :)

88 Comments leave one →
  1. June 13, 2010 8:10 am

Wow! That food looks fabulous—thanks for sharing it!

2. June 13, 2010 8:17 am

there’s no way that can be an appy pizza!! haha wow thats monsterous… but im pretty sure if one was ReAlLy hungry then it could be a starter… lol

DATE NIGHT <3 woot

3. Melissa R permalink
    June 13, 2010 8:39 am

Love your bump!!!! So exciting!

4. June 13, 2010 8:39 am

LOVE your dress!! Purple’s my fave and you’re rockin that baby bump :)

5. Christina permalink
    June 13, 2010 8:45 am

::drooling:: YUMMY!!

6. June 13, 2010 8:49 am

So glad you guys had a good time! What a great gift. I need to keep that in mind for my kids when they get older. I love gifts that keep on giving! I gave avocado a go again a couple of weeks ago and I just can’t do it. Tony is stilled shocked that I don’t like it. Trust me, if it is a vegetable…I want to like it…I just can’t do it! So sad because they are so good for you! Everything looks delicious! Oh, and great choice on the cookie dough topping. I think I may have to find the kid in me again and make some cookie dough “ice cream”! Enjoy your Sunday!

7. June 13, 2010 9:00 am

Oh My YUM! I never would have dreamed of deep fried avocado, but I will now!!!!

I’m having a big tart yogurt craving but don’t have one nearby. May grab one when I’m traveling next week.

I also believe that date nights are very important. Might be time for you to start lining up babysitters. :)

8. June 13, 2010 9:01 am

Deep fried avocado. . . *giggle.

9. June 13, 2010 9:20 am

It’s so nice from your in-laws, to be treating you with a date night, it’s a great idea!
    That pizza looks delicious!
    And you look great in that dress, with the cute baby bump :)

10. June 13, 2010 9:20 am

Love that you guys do date night! It’s very important and Ben and I need to recommit to that :)

11. June 13, 2010 9:31 am

Great choices!! I would never deep fry an avocado… the crab meat on top looks really fresh and delicious! Love your choice of salmon, yum!

12. Jill permalink
    June 13, 2010 10:00 am

Hi Heather! I just have to tell you that I’ve been enjoying/following your blog for a while, and love how you mention good places in Nashville to eat! I’m actually moving to Nashville in a little under a month to start my first nursing job at Vanderbilt Medical Center, so it’s nice to have some recommendations through your blog. I have a feeling that Sweet CeCe’s will be a first stop :-)

13. June 13, 2010 10:26 am

I love pizza! Especially in nice restaurants where they make their own fresh ban.
    So good that you had such an amazing night

14. June 13, 2010 10:31 am

I was looking forward to this post to see what you ordered! WOW. that pizza is MASSIVE!!! it looks absolutely delicious though..and no they defo didn’t skip on the cheese. You look absolutely glowing! xx

15. Sandy permalink
    June 13, 2010 10:46 am

I love the date night gift idea. Now that we have 2 married sons I may want to use that for one of them. Would you mind emailing me a note and giving me an idea of how to do that – monthly cash or gift cards? I am not trying to invade your privacy, I just don’t know how to go about gifting this. Thanks.

16. June 13, 2010 10:51 am

Love your dress! Aren’t all apps deep-fried LOL? Seriously though my fave apps are Calamari (deep-fried shrimp mmmmm) and cheesy nachos with salsa :)

That’s an awesome idea by the in-laws by the way.

17. Randi permalink
    June 13, 2010 11:44 am

hehe, love your bump. Mine is the same shape! I enjoy seeing how different women carry differently. I also get excited to see someone carrying like me so I don’t feel quite as alone. I often think I look so awful/bloated but then I see pics of others, like you, and see how cute the tum actually looks. Hmmm, does that make sense? Hard to explain I guess. Thanks for sharing heather!

18. June 13, 2010 11:44 am

Thanks Heather. I got the dress from Athleta: I love it too! :)

19. June 13, 2010 11:47 am

Yes Randi, totally makes sense. Many thanks for telling me I look cute. I still don’t feel like I look pregnant most of the time…just bloated and like I have a beer gut. However, I am enjoying the boobs. :)

I bet you look adorable. :)

20. June 13, 2010 11:48 am

that avocado looks so good…. and so do you!! :)

21. June 13, 2010 11:53 am

Jill, Thanks so much for reading. Chris and I live about 2 miles from the hospital, and let me just tell you that there are 3 frozen yogurt places basically right across the street. However, the nearest CeCe’s is about a 5 minute drive down the road in Belle Meade. Email me when you get to town, and if you’d like we can meet for a yogurt date. Definitely worth the drive to Cece’s! :)

22. June 13, 2010 11:54 am

Runeatrepeat, Agreed. I’ve missed our date night these last few months!

23. June 13, 2010 11:54 am

Sandy, Just emailed ya. :)

24. June 13, 2010 11:56 am

Sarena, You’re not alone when it comes to avocados – I think it’s a texture thing for most people. I say stick to your beloved oatmeal…and perhaps add a little cookie dough and some of your whipped cream on top. :)

25. June 13, 2010 11:56 am

WOW, all of that looks and sounds amazing… that crab stuffed avo..? wow. I want.

you two look so cute! :)

26. June 13, 2010 11:58 am

That is so sweet of his parents to do that for you two! Frozen yogurt is always the perfect way to end a meal. :)

27. Little Bookworm permalink
    June 13, 2010 12:08 pm

Sounds like a lovely night out – that frozen yoghurt dessert sounds amazing as well! :)

28. June 13, 2010 12:13 pm

Ohhhhhhhhh, YUMMY!! Deep fried avocado halves filled with lump crab meat?!?!?!?! So unique and it looks wonderful!! That salmon looks amazing, lots of good, healthy fats for little Heablet to enjoy!! ;) And CD’s pizza looks wonderful!! AND your bump is getting cuter and cuter!!!!!!!!! :)

29. June 13, 2010 12:15 pm

What a great night out!! Your salmon looks fantastic… and I always forget hos much I like pesto too! Thanks for the reminder :) You look adorable, as always…

30. June 13, 2010 12:16 pm

date nights are awesome and NEEDED in my opinion :)

looking good heather!! i love the cute baby bump!!

31. June 13, 2010 12:32 pm

You look adorable :) That is one of the most thoughtful gifts I’ve ever heard – hopefully you’ll keep it up once HEABlet arrives!! Deep-fried avocados…now that’s a new one. Gotta love the south.

32. June 13, 2010 12:39 pm

This is random but have you ever gone to the Wild Horse Saloon? That used to be one of our favorite places to stop in whenever we lived near Nashville. I heard it got caught in the recent flood, though. :/
    Anyway, that meal looks delicious!! Looks like you guys had an awesome date night :)

33. kim permalink
    June 13, 2010 12:45 pm

Your comment about “enjoying the boobs” made me laugh. When I was pregnant, it was the first and last time I had them. Now back to my 32AA ‘s, so depressing….you look great!

34. June 13, 2010 12:56 pm

Mmm…fried avocado! There is a place in Amarillo, TX that serves fried avocados stuffed with either chicken or beef. They are incredible!

Also — that really is the best Christmas present ever! :) Very nice!

35. June 13, 2010 1:20 pm

that is a Christmas gift I would like . . . hmmmm I wonder if my inlaws might be reading your post and my comment and get the hint . . . probably wishful thinking, more pjs for me!

36. June 13, 2010 1:38 pm

I LOVE, LOVE, LOVE Sweet Cece’s. Can a frozen concoction get any better? Not in my mind! Did you see they are opening one in Hillsboro Village next to the Pancake Pantry?! I nearly screamed with delight!

37. June 13, 2010 1:49 pm

Haha, deep fried avocado sounds so…wrong.

38. Katherine: What About Summer? permalink
    June 13, 2010 1:50 pm

The appetizer is a great rendition of everything southern: just throw it all in the fryer

I love date night; so sweet!

39. June 13, 2010 2:15 pm

What a great gift idea! Love it!

BTW that purple dress is really cute!

40. June 13, 2010 2:48 pm

I’m glad you had a good date night! I’m trying to think of why you’d deep-fry an avocado haha. Can they get much fattier?

I love the last picture of you & CD :D

41. Tracey permalink
    June 13, 2010 2:54 pm

funny about the frozen yogurt…my husband and i always “share”… i like when my hubby orders a blizzard, i add extra stuff and he picks out the chunks for me so i can avoid dairy devestation. ain’t marriage grand. :)

42. Sandi permalink
    June 13, 2010 2:56 pm

Oh my god, fried avocado…I think I must eat that at least once before I die. That salmon looks absolutely amazing too. It made me smile how you said you thought about what all your blog readers suggested when you were at the restaurant :)

43. June 13, 2010 2:57 pm

Mary, No, I never have been to the Wild Horse. Kind of hard to believe – don’t know why I’ve never gone down there, and yes, it was damaged in the flood. Not sure it they are reopened yet or not.

44. June 13, 2010 2:59 pm

Emily, Yes, I saw that on their website. I’ll be able to walk there…not sure if that’s a good thing or not. Hehe. :)

45. June 13, 2010 3:00 pm

Kim, yes, the boobs are fun. I’ll miss them when they go away. :(

46. June 13, 2010 3:00 pm

I love seeing you out places that I’m familiar with. It’s nice to know other locals eat well….it’s hard to believe with all the deep fried avocados and all…haha.

47. June 13, 2010 3:05 pm

Thanks Marilou. The dress is from Athleta: So comfy. I love it!

48. June 13, 2010 3:07 pm

Tracey, Usually I refuse to share desserts, but it worked last night. I think we need to go that route more often!

49. June 13, 2010 3:07 pm

Whoa. You live within walking distance of Hillsboro Village? I was there yesterday, heh.

50. June 13, 2010 3:09 pm

Kittie, Oh my gosh, we loved The Red Pony. Have you eaten there? Even though Franklin is a bit of a drive, we will definitely go back!

51. June 13, 2010 3:11 pm

Kittie, Yep, we live off of West End Avenue, and if I cut through the neighborhoods, it’s about a 30 minute walk to Fido’s. Perfect. :)

52. June 13, 2010 3:11 pm

Make sure you always do date nights. Even when the baby comes. You looks so cute by the way. Definately glowing.

53. June 13, 2010 3:16 pm

No, I’ve never been. Do they have any vegetarian options? When I’m in Franklin we usually go to Chuy’s because I was born in Austin, raised on their food and this is the only location outside of Texas.

54. June 13, 2010 3:22 pm

You look so pretty :)

That pizza! The CHEESE! Yum. Now I want some pizza for dinner. And deep fried avocado halves. wow.

55. June 13, 2010 3:40 pm

I love your dress! You look so beautiful and glow-y!

56. June 13, 2010 3:47 pm

Glad you had fun – be sure to keep up date night post baby too :) Looks like a great meal.

57. June 13, 2010 3:49 pm

Kellie, Will do. :)

58. June 13, 2010 3:52 pm

Kittie, Oh my gosh – Chuy’s. I love that place and can’t believe I haven’t been yet. Mexican is my favorite, and the last time I went was when I was in Austin 4 years ago. The Red Pony wasn’t very veggie friendly, but they did have a margherita pizza on the menu that looked really good, and I hear their guacamole is amazing. Every other table was ordering it.

59. DiningAndDishing permalink
    June 13, 2010 3:56 pm

Oh my, that meal looks too amazing!! Deep fried avocado with crab meat…is there anything more delish sounding in the whole world?! Glad you enjoyed your date night…adorable :).

– Beth @

60. June 13, 2010 5:21 pm

You are the cutest pregnant lady EVER!!

61. June 13, 2010 5:28 pm

Thanks Katie!

62. June 13, 2010 5:36 pm

Look at that beautiful belly! :o)

63. June 13, 2010 5:38 pm

What a sweet and thoughtful gift from CD’s parents! My boyfriend J’s parents do the same thing, so each month we are treated to a very special meal or other event (concert, performance, etc.). I’m so glad to read that your stomach seems to be stabilizing a bit more now. You look wonderful and I hope you feel wonderful too! :)

64. June 13, 2010 5:40 pm

Gavi, Yes, date night – such a great gift. J’s parents sound very thoughtful. :)

65. June 13, 2010 6:32 pm

That salmon looks sooooo good!!! And the pizza, wow, what a find!

66. June 13, 2010 8:02 pm

Awwwwwwww – you look so beautiful Heather!
    You´re definetely the most adorable pregnant woman (apart from my Mom, haha)!
    Gotta love all the delicious eats :)
    Wish you a lovely week!
    Brazilian XOXO´s,

67. June 13, 2010 8:06 pm

Dangit! I’m always late to the party. Okay, I would have voted for the Cowboy “Sushi” and the Salmon – but what you got looks awesome!

You look radiant girl! Look at that baby bump, so awesome. Going to a baby shower this weekend – so many lovely moms to be :)

68. Gina permalink
    June 13, 2010 8:25 pm

Date night will become even more important after the baby comes! My husband and I do a variation on date night called “grown-up night”, which we started after we and several of our friends all had babies within 9 months of each other. Once every 4 to 6 weeks, everyone gets a sitter and each couple takes turns planning the evening. Generally we just go to each others houses, eat a bunch of food and drink a lot of wine. We’ve been doing this for six years now and it’s been great!

69. June 13, 2010 8:54 pm

happy date night! i wish i could reach through the screen and eat everything you ate :)

70. June 13, 2010 9:12 pm

Omg 1x/month date night..that is the BEST idea I have ever heard. I am seriously doing that for Skylar inj 25 yrs and anyone else I can even give 2 mos worth of date night to, I am going to!

Piece of unsolicited advice: Go out more now in the next 5 mos than you think you can even handle. Even if you feel like crap, DRAG yourself off the couch and go out. Do anything. Eat, walk around, see the sights, just GET OUT. With CD. Couple time will go out the window as will alone, mulling around, kicking tires, spontaneous stuff like this post…Do it! It’s the #1 piece of advice no one gave me and I can’t help myself but to tell every preg woman I know to go out even if you dont want to. You’ll have the memories later :)

71. June 13, 2010 10:30 pm

Fried avocado?! Glorious!

72. June 14, 2010 1:20 am

Date nights are so much fun! And how lucky you are to enjoy it gratis every month! :-)

I would have ordered my salmon the exact same way! Pesto is glorious…and so is risotto…and blue cheese!

Have a great Monday!

73. eugenie permalink
    June 14, 2010 5:17 am

fabulous dress. you wear it well. i’m mostly vegetarian (very small portions of fish once in a great while), but that salmon to die for.

74. eugenie permalink
    June 14, 2010 5:17 am

err, that salmon looks like it’s to die for, rather. :-S

75. Sarah permalink
    June 14, 2010 7:17 am

You just might be the most beautiful pregnant woman ever!!!! So here’s a question: I have low iron and get dizzy all the time, and so I am taking these slow-release iron tablets that are supposed to not cause, what they so euphemistically call “gasto-intestinal issues.” BUT I am pretty sure they aren’t living up to that promise and was wondering what you settled on to up your iron intake! I just can’t do it anymore- it is just TOO uncomfortable, but the dizziness is no good too. What did you replace your supplements with? Since I am vegan, chicken liver is sort of out of the question… whoopsa.

76. June 14, 2010 7:34 am

awwww you look so hot and adorable at the same time!!!!! i love the dress and you are rocking that cleavage!!! i have to tell you ( not to make you jealous) but i went from a 34D to a 36DD.. i was so uncomfortable!!!! then, when i had olivia, from a 36DD to a 40F. on someone who was only 115 pounds… it was agonizingly obnoxious.. i looked like the non-perky version of Heidi from the Hills.. gag me! im crossing my fingers my boobies dont blossom like that the second time around.. lol

77. June 14, 2010 7:37 am

Looks like a fabulous date night! I am glad you and CD got to enjoy yourselves!

78. June 14, 2010 8:19 am

Gina, I love the idea of “grown-up night”!

79. June 14, 2010 8:20 am

A, Oh my goodness, that sounds painful. Sending smaller boobie vibes your way! ;)

80. June 14, 2010 8:25 am

Sarah, I was getting dizzy EVERY single time I stood up as well as experiencing horrible headaches everyday and so very tired. So, I got serious and really upped my red meat intake and added some fortified cereal (Total raisin bran) to my daily diet. It’s been about 2 weeks and the dizziness and headaches are gone. I lasted 2 days on the slow release iron pills and have switched to Floradix. I’ve been taking it for about 3 days now, and I’m feeling really good. I heard so many good things about it, and trust me, no problems in the pooping dept. Plus, I don’t think it tastes bad at all. I ordered mine from Hope this helps you!

81. June 14, 2010 8:26 am

Averie, Roger that. :)

82. June 14, 2010 11:25 am

Love love love the Christmas gift … those are some great in-laws you have (and wise!) Also your food looked AWESOME. So glad you guys had such a great time!

83. Samantha permalink
    June 14, 2010 3:45 pm

You two are the cutest couple! What a wonderful idea for a gift, date night once a month. The food sounds and looks nothing short of amazing!

84. June 14, 2010 4:55 pm

Oh my goodness! That meal looks amazing!! Espcially the fried avocado with horseradish! OM YUM! You’re baby belly looks so cute too!

85. June 14, 2010 8:14 pm

You look absolutely gorgeous :) You’ve got the happy pregnancy glow!!

PS Your dinner looks fantastic!

86. June 14, 2010 8:15 pm

Thanks Sarah. :)

87. June 16, 2010 10:04 pm

You look and are GORGEOUS! W0w- this is definitely my favorite picture of you! You look like a model! Glad you had a great night! CD’s parent’s seem so wonderful! What a generous present!

88. June 17, 2010 7:48 am