Date Night

by HEAB on June 13, 2010

CD’s parents give us the most wonderful Christmas present every year. Once a month, they treat us to a date night. Sometimes it involves a concert or sporting event, but we always make sure it includes a delicious dinner…and last night was no exception.

I was so surprised by how many of you actually looked at The Red Pony’s menu online and gave me suggestions on what to order. I loved it and felt like you were all there with me. Seriously, at dinner, I was like well, so and so said we should try this, but so and so thinks we should get this. So thank you. Now, if only you could have really been there to taste the deliciousness – what an amazing restaurant!

We started out with the appetizer special…keep in mind we live in the South. ;)

Deep fried avocado halves filled with lump crab meat and horseradish cream sauce served with fried flour tortilla chips.

This dish reminded me how much I love fresh crab meat! I actually removed the fried skin from my avocado (so unnecessary in my opinion) but enjoyed several of the fried chips. :)

I then order the salmon but subbed the blue-cheese sweet corn risotto for the lobster mashed potatoes (my no-dairy rule usually goes straight out the window when we go out to dinner) and skipped the cream sauce. Who needs cream sauce when you have all that delicious pesto?

Another reminder – I freakin love pesto and need to make it more often! The salmon was cooked perfectly and tasted so fresh. The risotto was okay…I couldn’t really taste the blue cheese, but Chris shared some of his with me. Taking Carolyn’s advice, CD went with the Beef Tenderloin Pizza…and it was definitely NOT light on the blue cheese.

This pizza is on the appetizer menu, but is definitely an entire meal in and of itself. Yum!

We were too full to order dessert and left the restaurant to walk around downtown Franklin. After about a 5 minute walk, I decided I still had a bit of room left for some frozen yogurt from here, my favorite self-serve frozen yogurt spot in all of Nashville. We split a small cup of vanilla and butter brickle yogurt. CD is a big fan of toppings, and so we added cookie dough, chocolate covered almonds, brownies, and whipped cream. Truth be told, I ate all of the whipped cream and a few bites of yogurt and was done. So full!

Thanks for a wonderful date night CD (thanks to your parents as well!), and many thanks to all of you who were there in spirit. It was a lovely evening. :)

Lisa June 13, 2010 at 8:10 am

Wow! That food looks fabulous—thanks for sharing it!

Kelsey June 13, 2010 at 8:17 am

there’s no way that can be an appy pizza!! haha wow thats monsterous… but im pretty sure if one was ReAlLy hungry then it could be a starter… lol

DATE NIGHT <3 woot

Melissa R June 13, 2010 at 8:39 am

Love your bump!!!! So exciting!

Heather June 13, 2010 at 8:39 am

LOVE your dress!! Purple’s my fave and you’re rockin that baby bump :)

Heather Eats Almond Butter June 13, 2010 at 11:44 am

Thanks Heather. I got the dress from Athleta: http://athleta.gap.com/browse/product.do?cid=46838&vid=&pid=739423&scid=739423022. I love it too! :)

Christina June 13, 2010 at 8:45 am

::drooling:: YUMMY!!

Sarena (The Non-Dairy Queen) June 13, 2010 at 8:49 am

So glad you guys had a good time! What a great gift. I need to keep that in mind for my kids when they get older. I love gifts that keep on giving! I gave avocado a go again a couple of weeks ago and I just can’t do it. Tony is stilled shocked that I don’t like it. Trust me, if it is a vegetable…I want to like it…I just can’t do it! So sad because they are so good for you! Everything looks delicious! Oh, and great choice on the cookie dough topping. I think I may have to find the kid in me again and make some cookie dough “ice cream”! Enjoy your Sunday!

Heather Eats Almond Butter June 13, 2010 at 11:56 am

Sarena, You’re not alone when it comes to avocados – I think it’s a texture thing for most people. I say stick to your beloved oatmeal…and perhaps add a little cookie dough and some of your whipped cream on top. :)

Carbzilla June 13, 2010 at 9:00 am

Oh My YUM! I never would have dreamed of deep fried avocado, but I will now!!!!

I’m having a big tart yogurt craving but don’t have one nearby. May grab one when I’m traveling next week.

I also believe that date nights are very important. Might be time for you to start lining up babysitters. :)

A Teenage Gourmet June 13, 2010 at 9:01 am

Deep fried avocado. . . *giggle.

Marina June 13, 2010 at 9:20 am

It’s so nice from your in-laws, to be treating you with a date night, it’s a great idea!
That pizza looks delicious!
And you look great in that dress, with the cute baby bump :)

Runeatrepeat June 13, 2010 at 9:20 am

Love that you guys do date night! It’s very important and Ben and I need to recommit to that :)

Heather Eats Almond Butter June 13, 2010 at 11:54 am

Runeatrepeat, Agreed. I’ve missed our date night these last few months!

Ana June 13, 2010 at 9:31 am

Great choices!! I would never deep fry an avocado… the crab meat on top looks really fresh and delicious! Love your choice of salmon, yum!

Jill June 13, 2010 at 10:00 am

Hi Heather! I just have to tell you that I’ve been enjoying/following your blog for a while, and love how you mention good places in Nashville to eat! I’m actually moving to Nashville in a little under a month to start my first nursing job at Vanderbilt Medical Center, so it’s nice to have some recommendations through your blog. I have a feeling that Sweet CeCe’s will be a first stop :-)

Heather Eats Almond Butter June 13, 2010 at 11:53 am

Jill, Thanks so much for reading. Chris and I live about 2 miles from the hospital, and let me just tell you that there are 3 frozen yogurt places basically right across the street. However, the nearest CeCe’s is about a 5 minute drive down the road in Belle Meade. Email me when you get to town, and if you’d like we can meet for a yogurt date. Definitely worth the drive to Cece’s! :)

Effie@greektomato June 13, 2010 at 10:26 am

I love pizza! Especially in nice restaurants where they make their own fresh ban.
So good that you had such an amazing night

mapledreams June 13, 2010 at 10:31 am

I was looking forward to this post to see what you ordered! WOW. that pizza is MASSIVE!!! it looks absolutely delicious though..and no they defo didn’t skip on the cheese. You look absolutely glowing! xx

Sandy June 13, 2010 at 10:46 am

I love the date night gift idea. Now that we have 2 married sons I may want to use that for one of them. Would you mind emailing me a note and giving me an idea of how to do that – monthly cash or gift cards? I am not trying to invade your privacy, I just don’t know how to go about gifting this. Thanks.

Heather Eats Almond Butter June 13, 2010 at 11:54 am

Sandy, Just emailed ya. :)

eatmovelove June 13, 2010 at 10:51 am

Love your dress! Aren’t all apps deep-fried LOL? Seriously though my fave apps are Calamari (deep-fried shrimp mmmmm) and cheesy nachos with salsa :)

That’s an awesome idea by the in-laws by the way.

Randi June 13, 2010 at 11:44 am

hehe, love your bump. Mine is the same shape! I enjoy seeing how different women carry differently. I also get excited to see someone carrying like me so I don’t feel quite as alone. I often think I look so awful/bloated but then I see pics of others, like you, and see how cute the tum actually looks. Hmmm, does that make sense? Hard to explain I guess. Thanks for sharing heather!

Heather Eats Almond Butter June 13, 2010 at 11:47 am

Yes Randi, totally makes sense. Many thanks for telling me I look cute. I still don’t feel like I look pregnant most of the time…just bloated and like I have a beer gut. However, I am enjoying the boobs. :)

I bet you look adorable. :)

Lauren (Clean Eats in the Dirty South) June 13, 2010 at 11:48 am

that avocado looks so good…. and so do you!! :)

spabettie June 13, 2010 at 11:56 am

WOW, all of that looks and sounds amazing… that crab stuffed avo..? wow. I want.

you two look so cute! :)

Justine June 13, 2010 at 11:58 am

That is so sweet of his parents to do that for you two! Frozen yogurt is always the perfect way to end a meal. :)

Little Bookworm June 13, 2010 at 12:08 pm

Sounds like a lovely night out – that frozen yoghurt dessert sounds amazing as well! :)

homecookedem June 13, 2010 at 12:13 pm

Ohhhhhhhhh, YUMMY!! Deep fried avocado halves filled with lump crab meat?!?!?!?! So unique and it looks wonderful!! That salmon looks amazing, lots of good, healthy fats for little Heablet to enjoy!! ;) And CD’s pizza looks wonderful!! AND your bump is getting cuter and cuter!!!!!!!!! :)

Mara @ What's For Dinner? June 13, 2010 at 12:15 pm

What a great night out!! Your salmon looks fantastic… and I always forget hos much I like pesto too! Thanks for the reminder :) You look adorable, as always…

jqlee June 13, 2010 at 12:16 pm

date nights are awesome and NEEDED in my opinion :)

looking good heather!! i love the cute baby bump!!

VeggieGirl @ Barley and Me June 13, 2010 at 12:32 pm

You look adorable :) That is one of the most thoughtful gifts I’ve ever heard – hopefully you’ll keep it up once HEABlet arrives!! Deep-fried avocados…now that’s a new one. Gotta love the south.

Mary @ Bites and Bliss June 13, 2010 at 12:39 pm

This is random but have you ever gone to the Wild Horse Saloon? That used to be one of our favorite places to stop in whenever we lived near Nashville. I heard it got caught in the recent flood, though. :/
Anyway, that meal looks delicious!! Looks like you guys had an awesome date night :)

Heather Eats Almond Butter June 13, 2010 at 2:57 pm

Mary, No, I never have been to the Wild Horse. Kind of hard to believe – don’t know why I’ve never gone down there, and yes, it was damaged in the flood. Not sure it they are reopened yet or not.

kim June 13, 2010 at 12:45 pm

Your comment about “enjoying the boobs” made me laugh. When I was pregnant, it was the first and last time I had them. Now back to my 32AA ‘s, so depressing….you look great!

Heather Eats Almond Butter June 13, 2010 at 3:00 pm

Kim, yes, the boobs are fun. I’ll miss them when they go away. :(

Stacie @ Imperfectly Healthy June 13, 2010 at 12:56 pm

Mmm…fried avocado! There is a place in Amarillo, TX that serves fried avocados stuffed with either chicken or beef. They are incredible!

Also — that really is the best Christmas present ever! :) Very nice!

Morgan @ Life After Bagels June 13, 2010 at 1:20 pm

that is a Christmas gift I would like . . . hmmmm I wonder if my inlaws might be reading your post and my comment and get the hint . . . probably wishful thinking, more pjs for me!

Emily June 13, 2010 at 1:38 pm

I LOVE, LOVE, LOVE Sweet Cece’s. Can a frozen concoction get any better? Not in my mind! Did you see they are opening one in Hillsboro Village next to the Pancake Pantry?! I nearly screamed with delight!

Heather Eats Almond Butter June 13, 2010 at 2:59 pm

Emily, Yes, I saw that on their website. I’ll be able to walk there…not sure if that’s a good thing or not. Hehe. :)

Krystina June 13, 2010 at 1:49 pm

Haha, deep fried avocado sounds so…wrong.

Katherine: What About Summer? June 13, 2010 at 1:50 pm

The appetizer is a great rendition of everything southern: just throw it all in the fryer

I love date night; so sweet!

Marilou @ Mostly Healthy June 13, 2010 at 2:15 pm

What a great gift idea! Love it!

BTW that purple dress is really cute!

Heather Eats Almond Butter June 13, 2010 at 3:05 pm

Thanks Marilou. The dress is from Athleta: http://athleta.gap.com/browse/product.do?cid=46838&vid=&pid=739423&scid=739423022. So comfy. I love it!

Danielle (Runs on Green) June 13, 2010 at 2:48 pm

I’m glad you had a good date night! I’m trying to think of why you’d deep-fry an avocado haha. Can they get much fattier?

I love the last picture of you & CD :D

Tracey June 13, 2010 at 2:54 pm

funny about the frozen yogurt…my husband and i always “share”… i like when my hubby orders a blizzard, i add extra stuff and he picks out the chunks for me so i can avoid dairy devestation. ain’t marriage grand. :)

Heather Eats Almond Butter June 13, 2010 at 3:07 pm

Tracey, Usually I refuse to share desserts, but it worked last night. I think we need to go that route more often!

Sandi June 13, 2010 at 2:56 pm

Oh my god, fried avocado…I think I must eat that at least once before I die. That salmon looks absolutely amazing too. It made me smile how you said you thought about what all your blog readers suggested when you were at the restaurant :)

Kittie June 13, 2010 at 3:00 pm

I love seeing you out places that I’m familiar with. It’s nice to know other locals eat well….it’s hard to believe with all the deep fried avocados and all…haha.

Heather Eats Almond Butter June 13, 2010 at 3:09 pm

Kittie, Oh my gosh, we loved The Red Pony. Have you eaten there? Even though Franklin is a bit of a drive, we will definitely go back!

Kittie June 13, 2010 at 3:07 pm

Whoa. You live within walking distance of Hillsboro Village? I was there yesterday, heh.

Heather Eats Almond Butter June 13, 2010 at 3:11 pm

Kittie, Yep, we live off of West End Avenue, and if I cut through the neighborhoods, it’s about a 30 minute walk to Fido’s. Perfect. :)

Kellie June 13, 2010 at 3:11 pm

Make sure you always do date nights. Even when the baby comes. You looks so cute by the way. Definately glowing.

Heather Eats Almond Butter June 13, 2010 at 3:49 pm

Kellie, Will do. :)

Kittie June 13, 2010 at 3:16 pm

No, I’ve never been. Do they have any vegetarian options? When I’m in Franklin we usually go to Chuy’s because I was born in Austin, raised on their food and this is the only location outside of Texas.

Heather Eats Almond Butter June 13, 2010 at 3:52 pm

Kittie, Oh my gosh – Chuy’s. I love that place and can’t believe I haven’t been yet. Mexican is my favorite, and the last time I went was when I was in Austin 4 years ago. The Red Pony wasn’t very veggie friendly, but they did have a margherita pizza on the menu that looked really good, and I hear their guacamole is amazing. Every other table was ordering it.

Janna June 13, 2010 at 3:22 pm

You look so pretty :)

That pizza! The CHEESE! Yum. Now I want some pizza for dinner. And deep fried avocado halves. wow.

Pearl June 13, 2010 at 3:40 pm

I love your dress! You look so beautiful and glow-y!

Natalie June 13, 2010 at 3:47 pm

Glad you had fun – be sure to keep up date night post baby too :) Looks like a great meal.

DiningAndDishing June 13, 2010 at 3:56 pm

Oh my, that meal looks too amazing!! Deep fried avocado with crab meat…is there anything more delish sounding in the whole world?! Glad you enjoyed your date night…adorable :) .

- Beth @ http://www.DiningAndDishing.com

Katie June 13, 2010 at 5:21 pm

You are the cutest pregnant lady EVER!!

Heather Eats Almond Butter June 13, 2010 at 5:28 pm

Thanks Katie!

Hillary [Nutrition Nut on the Run] June 13, 2010 at 5:36 pm

Look at that beautiful belly! :o )

gavrielski June 13, 2010 at 5:38 pm

What a sweet and thoughtful gift from CD’s parents! My boyfriend J’s parents do the same thing, so each month we are treated to a very special meal or other event (concert, performance, etc.). I’m so glad to read that your stomach seems to be stabilizing a bit more now. You look wonderful and I hope you feel wonderful too! :)

Heather Eats Almond Butter June 13, 2010 at 5:40 pm

Gavi, Yes, date night – such a great gift. J’s parents sound very thoughtful. :)

runnerforever June 13, 2010 at 6:32 pm

That salmon looks sooooo good!!! And the pizza, wow, what a find!

Gabriela @ Fro-Yo Lover June 13, 2010 at 8:02 pm

Awwwwwwww – you look so beautiful Heather!
You´re definetely the most adorable pregnant woman (apart from my Mom, haha)!
Gotta love all the delicious eats :)
Wish you a lovely week!
Brazilian XOXO´s,
Gabriela

Alisa June 13, 2010 at 8:06 pm

Dangit! I’m always late to the party. Okay, I would have voted for the Cowboy “Sushi” and the Salmon – but what you got looks awesome!

You look radiant girl! Look at that baby bump, so awesome. Going to a baby shower this weekend – so many lovely moms to be :)

Gina June 13, 2010 at 8:25 pm

Date night will become even more important after the baby comes! My husband and I do a variation on date night called “grown-up night”, which we started after we and several of our friends all had babies within 9 months of each other. Once every 4 to 6 weeks, everyone gets a sitter and each couple takes turns planning the evening. Generally we just go to each others houses, eat a bunch of food and drink a lot of wine. We’ve been doing this for six years now and it’s been great!

Heather Eats Almond Butter June 14, 2010 at 8:19 am

Gina, I love the idea of “grown-up night”!

Heather June 13, 2010 at 8:54 pm

happy date night! i wish i could reach through the screen and eat everything you ate :)

Averie (LoveVeggiesAndYoga) June 13, 2010 at 9:12 pm

Omg 1x/month date night..that is the BEST idea I have ever heard. I am seriously doing that for Skylar inj 25 yrs and anyone else I can even give 2 mos worth of date night to, I am going to!

Piece of unsolicited advice: Go out more now in the next 5 mos than you think you can even handle. Even if you feel like crap, DRAG yourself off the couch and go out. Do anything. Eat, walk around, see the sights, just GET OUT. With CD. Couple time will go out the window as will alone, mulling around, kicking tires, spontaneous stuff like this post…Do it! It’s the #1 piece of advice no one gave me and I can’t help myself but to tell every preg woman I know to go out even if you dont want to. You’ll have the memories later :)

xoxo

Heather Eats Almond Butter June 14, 2010 at 8:26 am

Averie, Roger that. :)

BroccoliHut June 13, 2010 at 10:30 pm

Fried avocado?! Glorious!

Sara @ Fro Yo Foodie June 14, 2010 at 1:20 am

Date nights are so much fun! And how lucky you are to enjoy it gratis every month! :-)

I would have ordered my salmon the exact same way! Pesto is glorious…and so is risotto…and blue cheese!

Have a great Monday!

eugenie June 14, 2010 at 5:17 am

fabulous dress. you wear it well. i’m mostly vegetarian (very small portions of fish once in a great while), but that salmon to die for.

eugenie June 14, 2010 at 5:17 am

err, that salmon looks like it’s to die for, rather. :-S

Sarah June 14, 2010 at 7:17 am

You just might be the most beautiful pregnant woman ever!!!! So here’s a question: I have low iron and get dizzy all the time, and so I am taking these slow-release iron tablets that are supposed to not cause, what they so euphemistically call “gasto-intestinal issues.” BUT I am pretty sure they aren’t living up to that promise and was wondering what you settled on to up your iron intake! I just can’t do it anymore- it is just TOO uncomfortable, but the dizziness is no good too. What did you replace your supplements with? Since I am vegan, chicken liver is sort of out of the question… whoopsa.

Heather Eats Almond Butter June 14, 2010 at 8:25 am

Sarah, I was getting dizzy EVERY single time I stood up as well as experiencing horrible headaches everyday and so very tired. So, I got serious and really upped my red meat intake and added some fortified cereal (Total raisin bran) to my daily diet. It’s been about 2 weeks and the dizziness and headaches are gone. I lasted 2 days on the slow release iron pills and have switched to Floradix. I’ve been taking it for about 3 days now, and I’m feeling really good. I heard so many good things about it, and trust me, no problems in the pooping dept. Plus, I don’t think it tastes bad at all. I ordered mine from http://www.iherb.com: http://www.iherb.com/Flora-Salus-Haus-Floradix-Iron-Plus-Herbs-17-fl-oz-500-ml/3004?at=0. Hope this helps you!

A @ Please Don't Eat Me! June 14, 2010 at 7:34 am

awwww you look so hot and adorable at the same time!!!!! i love the dress and you are rocking that cleavage!!! i have to tell you ( not to make you jealous) but i went from a 34D to a 36DD.. i was so uncomfortable!!!! then, when i had olivia, from a 36DD to a 40F. on someone who was only 115 pounds… it was agonizingly obnoxious.. i looked like the non-perky version of Heidi from the Hills.. gag me! im crossing my fingers my boobies dont blossom like that the second time around.. lol

Heather Eats Almond Butter June 14, 2010 at 8:20 am

A, Oh my goodness, that sounds painful. Sending smaller boobie vibes your way! ;)

Kelly June 14, 2010 at 7:37 am

Looks like a fabulous date night! I am glad you and CD got to enjoy yourselves!

Katie June 14, 2010 at 11:25 am

Love love love the Christmas gift … those are some great in-laws you have (and wise!) Also your food looked AWESOME. So glad you guys had such a great time!

Samantha June 14, 2010 at 3:45 pm

You two are the cutest couple! What a wonderful idea for a gift, date night once a month. The food sounds and looks nothing short of amazing!

Rebecca @ How the Cookies Crumble June 14, 2010 at 4:55 pm

Oh my goodness! That meal looks amazing!! Espcially the fried avocado with horseradish! OM YUM! You’re baby belly looks so cute too!

sarahsscrumptioussamplings June 14, 2010 at 8:14 pm

You look absolutely gorgeous :) You’ve got the happy pregnancy glow!!

PS Your dinner looks fantastic!

Heather Eats Almond Butter June 14, 2010 at 8:15 pm

Thanks Sarah. :)

Barbara June 16, 2010 at 10:04 pm

You look and are GORGEOUS! W0w- this is definitely my favorite picture of you! You look like a model! Glad you had a great night! CD’s parent’s seem so wonderful! What a generous present!
XO