HEABified Pies

by HEAB on June 14, 2010

Been craving fruit pie lately…ever since reading about the Non Dairy Queen’s gluten & dairy-free peach cobbler. Can’t get it out of my head, and yes, I blame you Sarena. ;)

Time to HEABify! I present to you peach cobbler with whipped cream…

Cooked oat bran, 1 peach, real whipped cream.

This morning’s breakfast? Apple pie a la mode…

Cooked oat bran, Trader Joe’s spiced apples, and vanilla protein ice-cream.

There is just something so wonderful about cold ice-cream mixed with warm oats. Have you tried it? If not, you must!

A product review for you…

A few weeks ago, the folks from Vega sent me their new Shake & Go Smoothie, an instant, just shake-with-water, rich in plant-based protein, greens, omega-3s, fiber, and probiotics that comes in 4 different flavors. Hmm, I was a bit skeptical as I have not been a huge fan of any Vega products in the past. However, for some reason, I am determined to like hemp protein, and agreed to give the new smoothie a try. I opened the bag and was not impressed by the smell. I followed the mixing instructions (simply add 2 heaping TBSP to 1/2 to 1 cup water and shake) and was not impressed by the color. That being said, I was impressed by how easily the powder blended with the water just after a few shakes, and I was even more impressed by the taste. I liked it! This would make a great grab and go snack before an early morning workout, and the ingredients and nutritional stats are great:

Picture 4.png
Picture 3.png

Thanks Vega. Good stuff, and I can’t wait to try your chocolate flavor!

Quick question before I go: My friend is working on a project and needs some help. For a salad bar, fast casual lunch retreat kind of place, which name would draw you in more? Daily Greens or The Green Slate? Please let me know in a comment below. Thanks!

saltytooth June 14, 2010 at 8:27 am

Yum, I love peach cobbler. However, someone else has to make it for me, as I cannot touch peaches. The fuzz makes my skin crawl!

Marilou @ Mostly Healthy June 14, 2010 at 8:27 am

The Green Slate! Really put “plate” into mind.

Daily Greens feels like etiher a gardening magazine or new Multi vitamins ;)

cheerchik52 June 14, 2010 at 8:29 am

I like The Green Slate.

I’ve been dying to try your protein ice cream! I was able to find the xanthan gum, but after many stores in 3 different towns I haven’t been able to find the guar gum…is there any substitute I can use until I get some?

Heather Eats Almond Butter June 14, 2010 at 8:33 am

Cheerchik, I’m afraid the ice-cream won’t really work without the guar gum. You’ll just end up with a thick smoothie with the xanthan. :( I can’t find the guar anywhere in Nashville either and have to order it online. Hope you find some soon!

DiningAndDishing June 14, 2010 at 8:30 am

Daily Greens!

Makes me think of getting in my “daily greens” which is a good start!

- Beth @ http://www.DiningAndDishing.com

RunToThefinish June 14, 2010 at 8:30 am

The Green Slate!

Jessica @ How Sweet June 14, 2010 at 8:30 am

I really like The Green Slate!

And that cobbler looks amazing! That is one of my favorite summer desserts.

annecalista June 14, 2010 at 8:31 am

I like Daily Greens :-)
Those oats + apples + ice cream look SO good. I always drool over your food pics :-)

Carbzilla June 14, 2010 at 8:31 am

I also like Daily Greens. Green Slate seems like a bit of a stretch though I get it.

VeggieGirl @ Barley and Me June 14, 2010 at 8:32 am

I like Daily Greens – sounds like fresh, local produce. For some reason Green Slate doesn’t resonate as much for me.

That oat bran looks delish. I just made some goat milk frozen yogurt in the ice cream maker that would go fantastic atop of the apple pie a la mode!

Heather Eats Almond Butter June 14, 2010 at 8:35 am

VeggieGirl @ Barley and Me, Oooh, I’d love your recipe for goat milk frozen yogurt!

Amy @ Second City Randomness June 14, 2010 at 8:34 am

For some reason, I like The Green Slate. I can’t really pinpoint why- maybe because it sounds like it would be a place that’s a little more “special”?

Abbey June 14, 2010 at 8:34 am

Green Slate; it’s more original and intriguing.

stacey June 14, 2010 at 8:36 am

Daily Greens would draw me in.

homecookedem June 14, 2010 at 8:36 am

That’s funny, I’ve been craving fruit pie too! But not the healthy kind… more like my grandma’s homemade pie!! So much so that I’m thinking of calling her up with a request! ;)

Amanda @ Vegacious June 14, 2010 at 8:37 am

I’m lovin’ The Green Slate!

Samantha Angela @ Bikini Birthday June 14, 2010 at 8:39 am

I like Green Slate, because I think “clean slate with a green plate”.

Heather June 14, 2010 at 8:41 am

AWESOME idea for the ‘pie’ modifications! i’m thinking green slate, although both names are good!

Sarah R June 14, 2010 at 8:46 am

Yummy HEAB-ified pies! I think I think Daily Greens better, but I wouldn’t think twice about eating at either.

Stefanie June 14, 2010 at 8:49 am

That is a tough decision. My vote is for Daily Greens. Your peach cobbler looks good. Have a great day. :)

Erica June 14, 2010 at 8:49 am

Hey Heather. Love the HEAB pie. Especially the apple variety. I like the Daily Greens- sounds fresh! Either would be cute though.

Miranda @ Mirandasjeans June 14, 2010 at 8:49 am

I like Green Slate!

Alina June 14, 2010 at 9:00 am

Definitely The Green Slate. Daily Greens makes me feel vaguely guilty for not getting greens every single day, and also makes me feel vaguely anxious in that once I buy something, I have somehow made a commitment to continue shopping there daily. On some level, Daily Greens is a stressful name. I think The Green Slate is cute. And it sounds a bit higher-end/more interesting, with potentially a wider variety of menu choices.

Lori June 14, 2010 at 9:01 am

I like Daily Greens better!

Chelsea June 14, 2010 at 9:02 am

I vote for Daily Greens! It’s more descriptive and sounds fresh and wholesome.

Danielle (Runs on Green) June 14, 2010 at 9:05 am

Ah I want Vega to send me protein powder!!

I kinda like the name Daily Greens :D

rachael June 14, 2010 at 9:05 am

I vote for daily greens!

Kristy June 14, 2010 at 9:09 am

I am also craving pie! Yum! Love your take on it. I vote for Green Slate!

ann June 14, 2010 at 9:10 am

daily greens!

MaryZ June 14, 2010 at 9:12 am

Daily Greens…and I want some of those pies!

rhodeygirl June 14, 2010 at 9:17 am

I definitely like Daily Greens!

Jenna June 14, 2010 at 9:22 am

I like Daily Greens :)

Shelly June 14, 2010 at 9:27 am

I like Daily Greens b/c it took me a minute to get the pun in The Green Slate.

tori June 14, 2010 at 9:28 am

I vote green slate . . . daily greens sounds like a newspaper.

Sweet Cheeks June 14, 2010 at 9:33 am

I like the Green Slate!

I’m loving your breakfasts!!! I definitely need to try the icecream plus oatbran combo…holy deliciousness!

Kristine June 14, 2010 at 9:37 am

Green Slate

dorrybird June 14, 2010 at 9:44 am

I like Daily Greens but both are great contenders. Your recipes prompt me to add things to my grocery list that I wouldn’t have thought of on my own. Thank you!

Heather Eats Almond Butter June 14, 2010 at 12:43 pm

dorrybird, You’re welcome. :)

Frugal 'n' Fit! June 14, 2010 at 9:45 am

Daily Greens!

Mama Pea June 14, 2010 at 9:50 am

I’m sitting here eating my oats and wishing they had ice cream on them. :(

I like Daily Greens better!

Krystina June 14, 2010 at 9:50 am

Mmm, that “pie” looks delicious. I really want to try more Vega products but I can’t afford any, they’re so pricey!

Stephanie June 14, 2010 at 10:11 am

The Green Slate!

Meg June 14, 2010 at 10:17 am

I think The Daily Green sounds too cliche – so The Green Slate it is ;)

I LOVE cobblers – I wouldn’t ever be able to pick a flavor…cherry, blackberry, peach…even BANANA sounds good – do they make banana cobbler? Cause they should for sure :)

Enjoy your day, Heather!

Heather Eats Almond Butter June 14, 2010 at 2:06 pm

Meg, Yes, the should, and if not, there is always banana cream pie. :)

nikkionlunch June 14, 2010 at 10:19 am

Definitely have to go with “Daily Greens”. The Green Slate just keeps making me think of a chalkboard! :) Although, if I saw it in person it would definitely intrigue to figure out what it was.

Yum to your HEABified pies!

Jill Shelley June 14, 2010 at 10:20 am

Definitely “Daily Greens”. That would bring me right in.

Justine June 14, 2010 at 10:24 am

I vote for the Green Slate! It sounds adorable-I love salad bars and am always on the look out for a new one to try.

Grace June 14, 2010 at 10:24 am

Daily Greens!

Katie June 14, 2010 at 10:25 am

I think I’ll have to have some HEABified pie for lunch or dinner! Yum.

I like The Green Slate!

Cat June 14, 2010 at 10:29 am

The Green Slate! It’s a little more unique, punchy, but still gets the point across! Plus, I think you could do some cute stuff with the branding (chalkboards anyone?).

Marina June 14, 2010 at 10:30 am

Daily slate sounds better to me!
I love peaches with oat bran! I can imagine how good whipped cream goes with it.
I never tried ice cream in my oats, but I would definitely like to!

bianka June 14, 2010 at 10:30 am

Omgsh your pies look yummmmmmm! I like the green slate too.

Kayla June 14, 2010 at 10:39 am

Green Slate for sure! That name is super clever

mama June 14, 2010 at 10:41 am

I like Green Slate!!

charlotte June 14, 2010 at 10:43 am

I like the Daily Greens. Green Slate is nice too but it just doesn’t make me think of food. Stationery, perhaps.

Emily June 14, 2010 at 10:43 am

The Green Slate sounds like more fun than Daily Greens to me!

I’m sad to read that you can’t get the gums in Nashville, I thought maybe Whole Foods would have them, but haven’t gotten by there to check. Guess I can save myself a special trip now.

Off to order them online…

Heather Eats Almond Butter June 14, 2010 at 2:08 pm

Emily, Both Kroger and Whole Foods sell xanthan gum, but I can’t find the guar gum anywhere. :(

Kelsey June 14, 2010 at 10:44 am

so glad u liek the vanilla.. yea if the vanilla is good, the chocolate SHOULD be … well BETTER!

sarena makes osme of the most amazing gluten-free foods ive ever seen! amazing <3

Scott in Ohio June 14, 2010 at 10:53 am

Daily Greens would be my vote.

Thanks for reviewing the Vega. I’m with you…I’m determined to like hemp protein.

Have a great day, Heather Pie (normally I would let CD be the one to call you that, but this post required it (~: )

Heather Eats Almond Butter June 14, 2010 at 2:12 pm

Scott, Yes, I really liked the taste of the Vega, and I hate all hemp protein powders. The only other brand I’ve liked is Life’s Basics Plant Protein. It was really good! -Heather Pie ;)

Little Bookworm June 14, 2010 at 10:55 am

Love the HEABified Pies! Question, do you cook the peach or just add it as it is? For the names, I like Daily Greens. :)

Heather Eats Almond Butter June 14, 2010 at 2:16 pm

Little Bookworm, No cooking, I just used a raw peach for the topping. :)

Averie (LoveVeggiesAndYoga) June 14, 2010 at 10:56 am

Love peach and apple raw cobblers and crumbles. I have a recipe for an apple one on my blog that this past fall in apple season, I was eating by the boatload!

Have a great day and glad my going out info was roger’ed. :)

jenny (green food diaries) June 14, 2010 at 11:01 am

i have the chocolate vega shake and go, but since i already have their whole food health optimizer, i thought i would pass it along to my family… ps. i have made protein ice cream with the vega wfho and it worked really nicely!

carrie @ gingerlemongirl.com June 14, 2010 at 11:09 am

Hello my name is carrie and I am addicted to PIE… mmmm… I want some heather! What great ideas on how to make a healthy version of pie!! I’m so going to try this with maybe a quinoa or millet hot cereal base and then using cashew creme on top!! mmmmm!!

And as far as the name… not sure which I like more.. my first thought was more toward daily greens, but most people so far seem to think that’s not the best choice!

Heather Eats Almond Butter June 14, 2010 at 2:18 pm

Carrie, I think your version of pie sounds amazing. In my opinion, you can never go wrong with cashew cream. :)

Jess June 14, 2010 at 11:20 am

Daily Greens!!

I tried the frozen DCD–oh. my. gosh.

SO GOOD.
<3 jess
xoxo

Heather Eats Almond Butter June 14, 2010 at 12:57 pm

Jess, I know, right? I dream about those chocolate frozen blobs! :)

Kendall June 14, 2010 at 11:32 am

Have you ever tried grilled peaches? You just cut them in half and grill them face down until they are warmed through and the bottom gets all gooey and caremelized. They are the best served with some kind of vanilla ice cream. Yum! Your pies (which look wonderful) reminded me of this. And I think I like The Green Slate best.

Heather Eats Almond Butter June 14, 2010 at 12:57 pm

Kendall, Yes, I have had grilled peaches, but it’s been years. So yummy, and the perfect fruit for grilling! Well, peaches and pineapples. :)

Katie June 14, 2010 at 11:38 am

I’d have to go with DAily Greens. Both are ok, but I didn’t really get “Green Slate.” Love your creativity with your meals! I am finding that so many times I just don’t WANT to put effort in (either creativity-wise or just work-wise) to make a good healthy meal. But when I grab something quick/processed I don’t feel as good. You keep me inspired – thank you!

Heather Eats Almond Butter June 14, 2010 at 12:55 pm

Katie, That makes me so happy to hear. Thank you!

Holly B June 14, 2010 at 11:41 am

Definitely Green Slate!

Laura June 14, 2010 at 11:48 am

Now i’m craving something sweet and fruity! xx

Kristin June 14, 2010 at 11:55 am

The Green Slate.

Daily Greens sounds like the vote would be all “health nut” and like you have to get in your daily serving of greens just “because.” Where Green Slate sounds like it could be anything…with a healthy/eco conscious twist.

Ana June 14, 2010 at 12:11 pm

Oats and Ice Cream… yummm! Why have I never thought to put them together, it can only be good! Believe it or not, but I woke up today craving oat bran! I may use your ideas to make it even better, I think I am in for some peach cobbler tonight! I have 2 very ripe peaches that need to be consumed before we leave on a trip on Wed, so Heather’s Cobbler it is!
Now I can’t wait to try that, and I just had lunch! I will add some vanilla ice cream to that instead of whipped cream, just so I can try both ideas at once! :o )

I like Daily Greens, and agree with carbzilla’s comment. I get the green slate idea but it doesn’t sound interesting to me.

eugenie June 14, 2010 at 12:13 pm

The Green Slate…by far.

fitandfortysomething June 14, 2010 at 12:15 pm

love how you healthified the recipes! so smart and creative!

Michelle June 14, 2010 at 12:16 pm

The cobblers look so refreshing.

I like Daily Greens.

Lindsey F. June 14, 2010 at 12:35 pm

Heather, your food looks delicious!

I just discovered your blog, and I am loving it! I have spent hours going back and reading your older posts. You have been bookmarked. :)

Heather Eats Almond Butter June 14, 2010 at 12:52 pm

Lindsey, Glad you found me! Thanks so much for reading. :)

Tracy June 14, 2010 at 12:35 pm

Daily Greens! It just rolls off the tongue a little better if that makes sense :)

Talia June 14, 2010 at 12:42 pm

I like The Green Slate:)

VeggieGirl @ Barley and Me June 14, 2010 at 12:43 pm

Heather – here is the recipe:

Hope you like it.

Heather Eats Almond Butter June 14, 2010 at 5:45 pm

VeggieGirl Barley, Thanks so much – I’ll check it out soon! :)

Heather @ Get Healthy With Heather June 14, 2010 at 12:44 pm

Daily greens for sure. I’m wanting oats now after seeing your tasty eats!

eatmovelove June 14, 2010 at 12:46 pm

Good God – the amazing trend continues with your posts – my favorite of late! I’ve only had ice cream with warm apple pie a la “pastry” style – so I think the oats idea is fabulous!!

Hmm- first I though “Daily Greens”…but then as soon as I seen “The Green Slate” – it definitely got me…if I were downtown in the middle of the day , that’s the name that would hook me. I think it reminded me of “plate” as well, like Marylou said. …Also, I think it would be more “welcoming” for all – some people think “greens, ewwww”!!! Ah, little do they know ;)

Great product review by the way. Funny that it smells bad but tastes good? I’m not a fan of VEGA at all! But I admire the folks at Vega for taking their chances with you – haha – because you are so honest!!

Marie June 14, 2010 at 12:59 pm

The Green Slate.
While I’m all about my daily greens, it sounds kind of like a punishment…

Kendall June 14, 2010 at 1:02 pm

Yes! Try grilled pineapple rubbed down with some brown sugar, cayenne pepper and lime juice. A good BBQ crowd pleaser :)

Sarena (The Non-Dairy Queen) June 14, 2010 at 1:02 pm

You are too funny…I still need to have some waffles a la mode! I have been craving them because of you! I LOVE ice cream on my oats! I make an oatmeal ice cream too! You know me, I will find any way to sneak oats into and onto everything! I actually just reviewed hemp protein for my blog and haven’t published it quite yet. The smell was not great, but I actually really liked it. It is very earthy, but with a hint of vanilla. I know I sound like a freak with the earthy flavors in my sweet food, but I like it. I like The Green Slate. Makes me think of a “fresh slate” or a new start. I know you didn’t ask why, but I thought I would say anyway.

I need to get some Jay Robb and some sort of gum…xanthan or guar. What do I need. I feel like I am totally missing the boat on some protein ice cream!

Heather Eats Almond Butter June 14, 2010 at 5:55 pm

Sarena, You need both the guar and xanthan to get the thick ice-cream texture. It won’t work as well with just one or the other. I can find xanthan gum at Kroger, but I have to order the guar online.

I thought the same thing about the Vega – I was so surprised by the sweet taste after smelling it. Not bad at all!

Katie June 14, 2010 at 1:18 pm

Gah!!! Peaches….I love peaches. I bought some here last week – no bueno. Peaches are the absolute worst tasting fruti when out of season. Maybe that is why I love them so much; I can only get them for a few short (glorious) weeks.

I like Daily Greens. The other one doesn’t sound restaurant-y to me.

marshell y. Roper June 14, 2010 at 1:24 pm

The Green Slate!!

Effie@greektomato June 14, 2010 at 1:25 pm

Daily greens. It ‘s clear and makes you see it as an everyday habit!
Also as a foreigner I would definitely chose something I understand completely. What is stale? I thought it was the blackboard… no? OK I m just a crazy talking Greek :)

sarah June 14, 2010 at 1:46 pm

green slate for sure :)

eredblue June 14, 2010 at 1:50 pm

the green slate thogh i’m not sure why. they could write their specials out on a green chalkboard though!

dmcgirl37 June 14, 2010 at 2:36 pm

Those shakes look so good, i’ll have to try that product! Where can I get it?

Dana

Heather Eats Almond Butter June 14, 2010 at 5:51 pm

dmcgirl, I have not see the Vega Shake & Go at my Whole Foods yet, but you can check at your local health food store or order it online here: http://shop.sequelnaturals.com/Vega-Us/Vega-Nutritional-Products_2

Mary @ Bites and Bliss June 14, 2010 at 2:38 pm

I like “The Green Slate”. It makes you think about it more and has a more modern feel to it.

cheerchik52 June 14, 2010 at 3:05 pm

Thanks Heather! I’ll order some asap…and wait impatiently until it gets here! =)

Tami Jo Eaton June 14, 2010 at 3:09 pm

I like Daily Greens, whenever I hear slate I think that someone is redoing their countertops/walkways. I can’t wait to made the Apple Pie a la mode. I love having melting cold on top of something warm.

Alexx June 14, 2010 at 3:13 pm

I like the green slate.

Heather I LOVE your oatmeal-apple-ice cream idea, I think I’m going to do something like that for tonight!

Heather Eats Almond Butter June 14, 2010 at 5:49 pm

Alexx, Hope you enjoyed your dinner!

Courtney June 14, 2010 at 3:34 pm

I vote Daily Greens.

Graygrrrl June 14, 2010 at 4:11 pm

I’ve got to agree, the colour of that shake is not appetizing. However, I am intrigued since it tasted good. How “leafy” did it taste? I often find that shakes with kale, spinach, etc. tend to taste more “green” than good.

I like The Green Slate. Daily Greens sounds healthful (which I know some people think is bad, silly ducks).

Heather Eats Almond Butter June 14, 2010 at 5:48 pm

Graygrrrl, Honestly, there wasn’t much of a green taste to the Vega shake. It had a strong almond flavor – like almond extract.

Kellie June 14, 2010 at 4:12 pm

I love oatmeal with icecream. I use a banana instead of apples, but it is one of my favorite desserts.

ida June 14, 2010 at 4:29 pm

I vote daily greens

Sandi June 14, 2010 at 4:48 pm

I vote Daily Greens. I guess I don’t really “get” The Green Slate…someone said it makes you think more, but when it comes to food sometimes simple and straightforward is best, I feel anyway.

Rebecca @ How the Cookies Crumble June 14, 2010 at 4:48 pm

Ice cream for breakfast, seems yummy!

I like the Daily Greens name best!

Heather Eats Almond Butter June 14, 2010 at 5:47 pm

Rebecca, Ice-cream is yummy at every meal. :)

Amber at Berlinswhimsy June 14, 2010 at 5:02 pm

I think that if the ambiance is ‘farm fresh’ and back-to-the earthish, go with Daily Greens; if it’s “upscale healthy” and urban, Green Slate. ;-)

The ice cream atop the warm oat bran sounds yummy. I’d like to add the peaches to that combo!

Ann Claire June 14, 2010 at 5:11 pm

Your Cobblers look delicious! It is great when you can satisfy cravings with healthy and delicious substitutions!

I vote Daily Greens.

robin June 14, 2010 at 5:22 pm

Daily Greens…The Green Slate makes me think of a comic book villain.

julie June 14, 2010 at 5:25 pm

mmm love your breaksserts!!!

the green slate for sure. very chic sounding but with a healthy vibe :) i’d go there for sure!

Pure2raw twins June 14, 2010 at 5:35 pm

Yay for liking hemp and Vega!!! We love their products!!

Your protein ice cream always sounds so good, must make it soon.

I vote Daily Greens.

maxinthegym June 14, 2010 at 6:40 pm

Yum! Your dessert for breakfast ideas look so delicious! Totally craving the apple pie right now!

Tyrah June 14, 2010 at 7:14 pm

daily greens!

nicole June 14, 2010 at 7:52 pm

Daily Greens BUT how about The GreensSeat or The GreensSpot

Sandra June 14, 2010 at 8:08 pm

the Green Slate, definitely :)

maggie June 14, 2010 at 8:28 pm

Love the idea of apple pie for breakfast! You make me hungry and I just had dinner!

xoxo
Maggie

MYBREAKFASTBLOG.COM

Heather Eats Almond Butter June 15, 2010 at 7:46 am

Maggie, I think of you whenever I eat whipped cream. :)

Megan June 14, 2010 at 8:47 pm

Daily Greens!

hotflashbang June 14, 2010 at 8:52 pm

Daily Greens… I know it’s about food and it sounds healthy
Green Slate doesn’t give me a clue what the place is about…

wendy @ ABCs and Garden Peas June 14, 2010 at 9:05 pm

Green Slate is more unique, but makes me think of that chalkboard noise. I don’t think it says “food.”

Daily Greens is cute. Although, I think both kind of sound like the name of a publication.

wheatardedlyss June 14, 2010 at 9:06 pm

Where on earth did you find those beautiful peaches? I bought some white peaches last week and was sorely disappointed. However, I did just find an AWESOME mango…next best fruit for the summer :-)

Heather Eats Almond Butter June 15, 2010 at 8:00 am

Wheatardelyss, I was so excited to find those peaches last week at a small local farmer’s market. They were so ripe and perfect! I love peaches in the summer, and I hope you find some good ones soon!

Laurie June 14, 2010 at 9:39 pm

Daily Greens : ) It instantly makes me think of a huge salad or a plate full of green beans!! Oh so YUMMY!!

I love the apple, oats & ice cream idea : )0

Lola June 15, 2010 at 12:01 am

Hi Heather!! I found this great article you might find interesting :)

Heather Eats Almond Butter June 15, 2010 at 7:51 am

Lola, Thanks so much. Someone else sent me that link last week – you guys are so thoughtful! :)

Hanna M. June 15, 2010 at 4:50 am

Love your pies- oats with ice cream is now on my to-eat list ;)
I would instantly be drawn to a place called Daily Greens!

heather June 15, 2010 at 5:17 am

Daily Greens. It sounds fresh and healthy.

The Green Slate doesn’t tell you what you’d be getting on the other side of the door…so I think I’d be less likely to walk through the front door.

Natalie June 15, 2010 at 5:26 am

the stuff in the review sounds great and protein ice cream too!

Katherine: What About Summer? June 15, 2010 at 5:51 am

What makes something a “pie” persay vs a cobbler? I read a very domestic book and the girl had to make a cobbler instead of a pie because she didn’t have the counter space to do the crust. She was overwhelmingly distraught about it.

For the name: I like The Green Slate more but I think Daily Greens would be best for a salad bar. The ‘slate’ made me think of something though; would there be a creative way to use the idea of a stone or marble slab in the name? Like how ice cream places mix toppings in on a slab, a salad bar that mixes toppings into the greens? Like Green Stone or Green Slab or something; maybe it’s just my AM disillusion I don’t know

Heather Eats Almond Butter June 15, 2010 at 7:50 am

Katherine, Wasn’t quite sure myself about the difference between a pie and cobbler, but I found the following info online: * A pie has a shell bottom (pie crust) made out of flour butter (or shortening) and water. It doesn’t necessarily need a top. A cobbler has the fruit touching the pan or baking dish with a topping on it normally made from sugars (brown and white) flour sometimes oatmeal. People sometimes even consider a cobbler fruit topped with Bisquick baked together. In short a pie has a crust bottom and can be sliced and served in wedges and a cobbler has no bottom except fruit and is normally scooped into a bowl.*

Grace June 15, 2010 at 6:38 am

The Green Slate!
Daily Greens makes me think of limp, overcooked asparagus my parents used to make me eat when I was a kid…daily greens = required, gross veggies.

Melissa @ For the Love of Health June 15, 2010 at 6:51 am

The Green Slate! I think it sounds more original.

What fabulous looking oats! I want to try what you did for sure!

Chandra June 15, 2010 at 7:12 am

The Green Slate!

Daily Greens sounds like a chore.

shannon June 17, 2010 at 2:15 am