No Kitchen, No Internet, No Computer

by HEAB on June 16, 2010

Oh my gosh, what a day. We have no water in our kitchen, and our gas was shut off for the installation of our new countertops yesterday. I’m hoping it gets turned back on later today. Until then, it’s cold showers and no cooking. Our Internet has been down for the past 24 hours, and so I went to a coffee shop to blog and catch up on email. Ran into a friend, friend’s coffee ended up all over the table and my Mac, ruining my computer. My friend felt so bad, and I felt so bad for her – it’s the last thing either of needed today, but things happen. I’ve got a new computer with my name on it at the Apple store, and they’re trying to rescue some of my old data. Not sure if that’s possible as the hard drive was covered in vanilla latte, but I’m hopeful. Anyway, I’m now at my brother’s place borrowing his computer and just trying to breathe.

So, what does a food blogger with no kitchen eat?

I like to call this meal "Every Pregnant Woman's Dream"

For yesterday’s lunch, I used our toaster oven to cook myself up an all beef hot dog in a whole wheat bun with melted goat cheese and Bald Eagle Sauce (mustard and pickle relish all in one) with a side of sauerkraut.

Next up, we have today’s breakfast…

I like to call this one "Hello, I'm 5"

A month or so ago, I randomly bought a can of this…

Whole Food's answer to Spaghetti O's.

As you all know, I am not a fan of microwaves…something about changing the molecular structure of our food just seems wrong to me. So, when ours broke two years ago, we never bothered getting it repaired. Well, then came the decision to put in  new countertops and a backsplash, and we decided to go ahead and replace the microwave as well. This morning I used it to heat up my O’s and then toasted myself an Earthgrains Thin Bun with goat cheese. I have to admit this was delicious and brought back so many memories.

My one goal for today was to go on a walk, but not sure if that’s going to happen as I need to head back home and meet the plumber and electrician. So, I better get going. If you email me, it may be a while before I respond, but I promise to get back to you when I can.

Hope everyone’s day is going a little better than mine! :)

Beth June 16, 2010 at 1:07 pm

Ugh I’m so sorry about your computer, water, and internet! What a nightmare. It can only get better from here though, right!?

Heather Eats Almond Butter June 16, 2010 at 1:08 pm

Beth, I hope so!

Heather June 16, 2010 at 1:10 pm

wow, what a day! hope it improves significantly sweetheart!

dorrybird June 16, 2010 at 1:10 pm

Oh my goodness- SO sorry about your laptop. Devastating, but temporary! Everything will work out and you have such a positive attitude. :) I hope the rest of your day gets better!

Vanessa June 16, 2010 at 1:11 pm

What a mess! I have had my computer crash before. It is so sad to loose everything. Good luck with the recovery and the remodel!

Little Bookworm June 16, 2010 at 1:11 pm

Sorry about the computer and not having any water, internet or gas! Hope the rest of the day/tomorrow goes well! (Love the ‘hello I’m 5′ meal though.) :)

Evan Thomas June 16, 2010 at 1:13 pm

Oh my God, I’m so sorry to hear of all those troubles. Hope life get’s back to normal soon! I think I’d go a little crazy if I lost my comp and internet–the trials and tribulations of being a blogger and a student

Claire June 16, 2010 at 1:14 pm

oh,no! I’m so sorry about your Mac!! Lately,I’ve been craving turkey dogs and saurkraut…love it:-)cc

Jenn (GH) June 16, 2010 at 1:14 pm

Oh my goodness. So sorry to hear about your computer. Sounds like you have a great attitude about it.

I don’t use our microwave very much either.

Hope your day gets better. (((hugs)))

Justine June 16, 2010 at 1:23 pm

I hope your day gets better! I remember spilling a vente (hot) tea all over myself while on a date once. Luckily for me there was no computer to get damaged- only my pride and a small burn blister was all I walked away with. :)

spaghettios were a childhood favourite of mine!

greenbean June 16, 2010 at 1:23 pm

i randomly bought the spaghetti-o’s too! really yummy. but to me, they taste better slightly warmed. enjoy!

Quix June 16, 2010 at 1:43 pm

Oh man, what a mess! I am a big fan of only ONE crazy thing going on at a time in my life (though does it happen that way? So rarely…). Sometimes stuff like Sketti Os (as I call em) are nice and comforting during those times. Hope things return to normal soon!

Sarena (The Non-Dairy Queen) June 16, 2010 at 1:45 pm

Oh no, I was wondering where you were…I hoped you were out for a fantastic lunch at a Mediterranean place so I could live virtually through you. I see that is not the case. I hope they get the data from your computer…that is hard to overcome. I will spare you the details, but Tony banned me from sauerkraut after I had it when I was pregnant. I actually craved it so badly. I made waffles with the boys today and thought of you. I hope your day gets better!

Marilou @ Mostly Healthy June 16, 2010 at 1:50 pm

:) Wow, you seem to have such a high spirit despite all the crap that happened :)

So I guess you are not a fan of the new craze of Molecular Cooking? :)

Heather Eats Almond Butter June 16, 2010 at 7:15 pm

Marilou, OK, so I had to google molecular cooking. Sounds a bit complicated to me…I think I’ll just stick with my microwave. ;)

caronae June 16, 2010 at 1:59 pm

Oh goodness HEABie I hope you’re doing alright! That sounds like a nightmare day. When I have a day like that I schedule myself some crying time — crying it out usually makes things seem much more manageable for some reason. Good luck with everything and I’m sending lots of hugs!

Heather Eats Almond Butter June 16, 2010 at 7:10 pm

Caronae, Plenty of tears shed this morning…and yes, sometimes, you just need a good cry. I happen to have my breakdown at the apple store, and I couldn’t have scheduled it a better time. They really cater to crying pregnant women. :)

BethT June 16, 2010 at 2:00 pm

TOTALLY agree about that being a pregnant woman’s dream! Last week I had a spicy german sausage with loads of sauerkraut and mustard. Spicy, salty, tangy….delish!

Jennifer@ knackfornutrition.blogspot.com June 16, 2010 at 2:01 pm

Ugh. As I like to say “you’ve had a day!” Good news is it will all be behind you soon! Then onto bigger and better things!

mapledreams June 16, 2010 at 2:03 pm

I full on laughed at your naming of that meal, “hello i’m 5″ hahaha!! i’ve never seen spagetti hoops other than the sugary gloopy Heinz ones but seeing them in the pan like that, i’m ever so tempted so may have to take a look for a similar can in the shops! so sorry to hear about the coffee incident..onthe bright side, your mac wont be dehydrated! xx

Heather Eats Almond Butter June 16, 2010 at 7:08 pm

Mapledreams, Nope, and it smells like a vanilla latte as well. Hope you find some organic spaghetti o’s soon. ;)

Lauren June 16, 2010 at 2:03 pm

So sorry to hear about the day you’ve had, but I’m so amazed at your awesome attitude about it all. One time my husband set my laptop up on my parents’ entertainment unit-when we were dating-and it crashed to the ground. hard. But, I couldn’t really complain because A.the screen broke but I could still use the actual computer hooked up to an old monitor, and B. he was just trying to make our LOST viewing better by hooking up my laptop to the TV. Bless his heart. ;)

Heather Eats Almond Butter June 16, 2010 at 7:07 pm

Lauren, Your husband is a good man…anything to make your LOST viewing better gets a thumbs up from me. Poor guy. :(

Sara June 16, 2010 at 2:04 pm

Wow, Heather, that sounds like a nightmare. At least you still managed to have some tasty eats!

Stacy (StacyGrowsHealthy) June 16, 2010 at 2:07 pm

Ugh what a pain, but at least you will have fantastic new countops soon.

idreamoftahini June 16, 2010 at 2:08 pm

Oh man……….what a day! You definately have a good attitude about it. I’d probably be sitting in a corner crying about my MAC, lol!

Spagetti O’s are one thing I’ve never liked, lol!! The hot dog looked terriific. I need to try the Bald Eagle sauce on a Smart Dog!!

Sara @ Fro Yo Foodie June 16, 2010 at 2:15 pm

Heather, I’m so sorry you’re having such a rough day! Hang in there! My freshman year of college I ruined my laptop when I spilled a diet Coke on it during finals! It was a nightmare! I feel your stress!

The combination of goat cheese and Spaghetti-O’s sounds wonderful!

Jenny June 16, 2010 at 2:24 pm

I’ve never had spaghetti-o’s for breakfast! I’ll have to try that sometime;)

homecookedem June 16, 2010 at 2:32 pm

Oh HEAB, sorry to hear about your day. Things can only get better, right?

I got an out of the blue craving for spaghetti-o’s and meatballs last week. I used to eat them ALL them time when I was a kid. Good to know there’s a healthier version available, I’ll have to check it out!!

Kelly June 16, 2010 at 2:38 pm

Oh my goodness girl…what a day! I am so sorry but can I just say that you have a great attitude and I love how you are just rolling with it and accepting it as it comes. I would have been beside myself in tears!! Good for you for making lemonade our of some very sour lemons!!!

Heather Eats Almond Butter June 16, 2010 at 7:06 pm

Kelly, There were several tears. :)

Katie June 16, 2010 at 2:43 pm

OH, I’m so sorry! Hang in there!

Danielle (Runs on Green) June 16, 2010 at 3:01 pm

Ahh sorry about the crappy day :( You never realize how dependent on technology you are until things go wrong…

I remember spaghetti-Os! My favorite was the one with meatballs (my oh my how things have changed lol)

Jenna June 16, 2010 at 3:36 pm

Oh no! I am so sorry about your computer! Hope your day is looking up. :)

Brynne June 16, 2010 at 3:41 pm

Aw Heather I hope your day starts looking up! Spaghetti-Os and grilled cheese helped, I’m sure, such great comfort food :0)

Mary @ Bites and Bliss June 16, 2010 at 3:43 pm

“hello..I’m 5″ I love that one! Looks like a breakfast of champs to me. I’m so sorry to hear about everything that’s happened. I’m pretty sure if I were in your shoes I’d be curled up in a corner somewhere. :/

Emily June 16, 2010 at 3:46 pm

You are very positive for having such a sour day!

Jess (Nurse Jess the Blog) June 16, 2010 at 3:48 pm

Aw if it makes you feel better my mom spilled coffee all over her laptop a few years ago and all it took was some good hair-drying to bring it back to life! P.S. I LOVED spaghetti-os as a kid – how do the 365′s stack up nutritionally?

Heather Eats Almond Butter June 16, 2010 at 7:04 pm

Jess, Not sure as the can is sitting out in my recycle bin, but I think the nutritional stats were about the same as far as calories, carbs, etc. goes. However, the list of ingredients for the 365 brand was a bit better…nothing artificial.

victoria June 16, 2010 at 4:13 pm

this is the strangest thing. . . my mom spilled coffee all over her mac laptop today too. Sadly the computer is destroyed and it was less than a year old. Luckily all the data was backed up. I’m sorry about your computer :( hopefully they can fix it.

Heather Eats Almond Butter June 16, 2010 at 7:01 pm

Victoria, I had to get a new computer, but they were able to rescue most of my date…and I bought an external hard drive in case something like this ever happens again. I’d hate to lose all my photos and music! Glad to hear your mom’s data was backed up!

Katie June 16, 2010 at 4:29 pm

How about spaghetti o’s WITH the hot dog? That was one of my favorite meals growing up!

Heather Eats Almond Butter June 16, 2010 at 7:00 pm

Katie, Here’s one you’ll appreciate. One of my favorite dinners growing up was mac & cheese with hot dogs and mustard. :)

edenseats June 16, 2010 at 4:30 pm

Dont you hate it that we rely so much on technology that it can totally throw you off your game! Can I just tell you, when I saw you hot dog post last week, I bought a bunch of whole grain buns, dogs, relish, kraut, the works and I’ve been eating them for lunch all week! I totally forgot how much I LOVE them and I’m def trying that eagle sauce. The applegate turkey dogs are sooo yummy! I’m trying to develop a healthy corn dog for my blog but I love those hotdogs with french fried onions and the grainiest mustard I can find!

Heather Eats Almond Butter June 16, 2010 at 6:59 pm

Edenseats, Ha ha – so happy to hear I’m not the only one loving on the hot dogs these days. I’ll have to try the applegate turkey ones next!

Kelly Michelle June 16, 2010 at 4:34 pm

If it makes you feel any better the last two weeks of my life have sounded like your today, only worse. and today took the cake, just when it looked like one teeny thing was about to start getting better, my hard drive completely failed out of no where, of course I am in the middle of trying to do my CPA exam and am way behind on the review course bc of everything else that happened the last two weeks, and of course all the review is stored in that computer so I will be two more days behind and I’ve lost all my saved data so that if I fail which is looking probable at this point I won’t be able to prove I finished everything and retake the course free. so hopefully you can feel a little better knowing that it could be so much worse.

Heather Eats Almond Butter June 16, 2010 at 6:58 pm

Kelly, So sorry. I hope everything works out for you!!!

Nicole June 16, 2010 at 5:09 pm

Bummer!!!! But a new Mac is always a good thing!!
And I’m glad you’re getting the microwave back..I have a feeling with being pregnant and then having a baby you’ll probably be relieved to have something there that you can use to make your life a little easier. <3

Frugal 'n' Fit! June 16, 2010 at 5:23 pm

You’re right — no kitchen, no computer is definitely a food blogger’s nightmare! Hope everything gets fixed/better/easier soon :)

marshell y. Roper June 16, 2010 at 5:38 pm

Out of every bad thing comes a good one, so watch out for yours~Be blessed~~~Shell

Tina June 16, 2010 at 5:49 pm

I find it so hilarious that you had “Spaghetti Os” for breakfast. But you have to do what works. My first pregnancy I was on a big ravioli kick. They were like Chef Boyardee but different. I think I got the cans from Trader Joes?? Either way, they were heaven to me for some reason.

Heather Eats Almond Butter June 16, 2010 at 6:55 pm

Tina, That’s totally what I was craving when I bought the Spaghetti O’s – Chef Boyardee ravioli. I will look for the TJ’s brand!

Kellie June 16, 2010 at 5:56 pm

What a day. Poor you and your friend. Way to stay calm and breathe. Sometimes that’s all you can do.

saltytooth June 16, 2010 at 5:59 pm

Sorry to hear about the computer. I once spilled hot coco on my laptop. It was awful. Hope things settle down for you soon!

Sarah June 16, 2010 at 6:30 pm

Awwww I’m sorry about your day :( Massive hugs over the internet!

Hopefully everything works out soon!! At least your breakfast looks delicious…it’s fun being five :)

Kelsey June 16, 2010 at 6:46 pm

oh no!!! i guess that forces you to get really creative huh!! its like the perfect test of roughing it in ur own home hehe

way better than chef boyardi!! <3 loving the saucy noodle o's :)

Meg June 16, 2010 at 7:02 pm

Oh my gosh! Whole Foods Spaghetti-Oh’s! A DREAM :D Haha! Hope all goes well and you’re house is fully functioning soon, Heather :)

The Pancake Girl June 16, 2010 at 7:10 pm

Haha “every pregnant woman’s dream” —so cute! Sorry you’re having a stressful day deary! Your food still looks yummy. :-) Happy Wednesday!

Kristin (Cook, Bake and Nibble) June 16, 2010 at 7:28 pm

That totally stinks! But good for you for staying postitive amidst a tiny disaster! And great eats for not having a kitchen!

xo
Kris

Nellie June 16, 2010 at 7:47 pm

Hope your day gets better Heather! And I just have to chime in about the microwave issue…as a chemist I should dispel the myth that microwaves alter the molecular structure of food…this is physically impossible. Microwaves simply don’t have enough energy to do this. The simply add heat in the form of increasing water molecules’ vibrational energy. So the only molecular transformations that are possible are those that occur in any form of heating of food (i.e. denaturing of proteins or caramelizing of sugars)…Just fyi!

Heather Eats Almond Butter June 16, 2010 at 7:55 pm

Nellie, Day is much better now and thanks for the micro info – that makes me feel better about using it. :)

Nellie June 16, 2010 at 8:12 pm

Good! That’s why I wanted to post the info…I definitely promote organic and minimal processing as much as most people on here (I’m an environmental chemist), but I think our society has become a little overly chemical-phobic. Yes, many things are wrong about the chemical industry and there are toxic things out there, but not every chemical and piece of technology is bad…everything is a chemical, really!

Averie (LoveVeggiesAndYoga) June 16, 2010 at 9:39 pm

Heather, omg I am SO SORRY for your computer, your lack of proper kitchen, appliances, the whole shebang.

Computer- you may be able to make a claim on your renter’s insurance and if it pencils$ out, it may be worth a try.

Micro. I linked you in a post of mine this week about microwaves and had a big discussion on them.
Sorry to do the link drop!!
But it’s a tool. And is it the best thing? No. Is is going to come in incredibly handy with a child? YES! I am as crunchy as the next person but I do use the micro as a tool.

Here’s a big (((((HUG)))))))
I feel so badly for you right now…rain/pours. Sigh. Hang in there!

Heather Eats Almond Butter June 17, 2010 at 7:58 am

Averie, Hanging in there. Today WILL be a better today. Thanks for all the encouragement, and I think I love our new microwave. So much so, that I went out and bought a box of microwave popcorn from Costco. I’m a convert. :)

jenny (green food diaries) June 16, 2010 at 10:48 pm

“I like to call this one “Hello, I’m 5″” – i laughed at this. hehe.

Katherine: What About Summer? June 17, 2010 at 5:11 am

I know it is a bit of a crisis but this post reminds me of “no shirt, no shoes, no problems”

Sometimes, not having things can be a blessing. It reminds you of how grateful to be for what we do have and how to live without. Sorry to hear about the missing out of comforts; it’s a huge bummer!

Allie (Protein Girl) June 17, 2010 at 5:31 am

Was the danger of Mac malfunction listed in “Caffeine Blues”? So sorry about that nightmare. You must watch the Sex & The City episode of the Sad Mac (My Motherboard, Myself).

Are you remodeling?! I’ll be joining those ranks soon!

xoxo,

A

Heather Eats Almond Butter June 17, 2010 at 8:01 am

Allie, The Sad Mac – roger that. Will try to find online. Yep, remodeling. No gutting involved or anything – just some touch-ups. Email me if you ever need to vent – such a frustrating process at times! However, I know the work…and all the waiting will be worth it in the end. :)

A Teenage Gourmet June 17, 2010 at 6:10 am

Microwaves change the MOLECULAR STRUCTURE of food!?

Heather Eats Almond Butter June 17, 2010 at 8:00 am

A Teenage Gourmet, That’s what I’ve heard, but another commenter said that’s not true. Here was her comment: And I just have to chime in about the microwave issue…as a chemist I should dispel the myth that microwaves alter the molecular structure of food…this is physically impossible. Microwaves simply don’t have enough energy to do this. The simply add heat in the form of increasing water molecules’ vibrational energy. So the only molecular transformations that are possible are those that occur in any form of heating of food (i.e. denaturing of proteins or caramelizing of sugars)…Just fyi!

annecalista June 17, 2010 at 6:52 am

Hope your day gets better, Heather. I would probably cry if my computer got ruined like that, even if it was an accident. You seem to have a good attitude about everything. Keep Calm and Carry On!

Michelle June 17, 2010 at 7:57 am

Wow – you appear to be in a good mood in spite of everything that happened. Guess you might as well be, nothing you can really do about it now. I hope today is a better day for you.

Pure2Raw Twins June 17, 2010 at 8:10 am

So sorry to hear all the issues you are going through with your house and computer. I hope everything gets worked out for you soon ;) I hear you on spilling liquid on computers, we have had some really close calls, now we try to avoid drinks near our computers. Sometimes we forget though ;)

nora June 17, 2010 at 8:29 am

New reader here – and a new mommy, too! I found that when I was pregnant, my palate totally flashed back to when I was 5. Grilled cheese, mac n’ cheese, cereal, fish sticks, chocolate pudding cups – you get the picture. Veggies finally made a comeback at around the 6th month. Your breakfast made me smile reminding me of all the grief co-workers would give me when I would crack open a can of (organic!) spaghettios for lunch!

Heather Eats Almond Butter June 17, 2010 at 8:50 am

Nora, Too funny, but so true. Yes, all I want is foods from my youth…even Pop-Tarts and sugary cereals, stuff I haven’t touched in years. The veggie lovin is on its way back…it’s the smell of them cooking that still gets to me. Hoping to get over that soon! Thanks for reading. :)

Anna June 17, 2010 at 9:07 am

OH NO!!! Just catching up on blog reading, and found this one– I hope your day got better! I hope that new computer with your name on it is in your hands by now!

Heather Eats Almond Butter June 17, 2010 at 9:50 am

Anna, New computer in hand. Internet working, and plumber is here. Things are definitely looking up! :)

Sarah June 23, 2010 at 11:22 am

Aw, Heather, I hope your days are going much better by the time you read this comment!

Heather Eats Almond Butter June 23, 2010 at 11:43 am

Sarah, Yes, MUCH better, thank you. :)

{ 2 trackbacks }