Eggs & Jam

by HEAB on June 17, 2010

Many thanks to everyone for your encouraging words yesterday. I tried to stay positive, and for the most part everything turned out okay. I now have a working computer…still no Internet at the house, but I am so grateful to the folks at the apple store for all their help! However, things still aren’t 100% back to normal. Chris is out of town for a business meeting, and I really needed him home yesterday…he’s the best hugger! Also, my phone ended up dying – turns out it was damaged by the coffee spill as well, and our plumber never showed up. So, we still have no water in our kitchen, but thankfully our electrician got our gas turned back on, and I was able to take a hot shower last night. It was wonderful. If I learned anything yesterday, it is that I rely way too much on technology! Anyway, with all the running around I did yesterday, I didn’t sit down to dinner until about 8 PM, and all I wanted was an ice-cream sundae, HEABified of course. :)

After my HOT shower, I whipped up a bowl of chocolate protein ice-cream with 1 sliced frozen banana, a handful of roasted peanuts, and a big blob of whipped cream. Honestly, it was exactly what I needed.

Without Chris here, I didn’t sleep very well last night. CD, please come home! Anyway, I got up super early and watched a movie and then decided it was time for an omelet around 6 AM. Several of you recommended sweet omelets in the comment section of this post, and I was excited to try one of my own.

Taking Kendall’s advice, I made a goat cheese and apricot preserves omelet. Wow, what a combo. Thanks Kendall! This was delicious. I also added a drizzle of maple syrup on top – thanks for the tip Lindsey. All of you must try sweet omelets – so good!

OK, back home to wait for the plumber. Oh, and I WILL get in a walk today…and perhaps a nap. ;)

Enjoy your Thursday.

PS – It’s quite easy to rinse out a Vita-Mix in the shower. Who knew? ;)

Beth June 17, 2010 at 8:52 am

Wow goat cheese + apricot preserves… sounds delicious! Random, but that combo is making me think of this awesome pizza at a DC restaurant.. goat cheese, aspargus, and apricots in a brick fire oven. SO GOOD!

Heather Eats Almond Butter June 17, 2010 at 8:53 am

Beth, That pizza does sound good – love the savory/sweet combo!

Brittany June 17, 2010 at 9:00 am

The sweet omelet looks oh so tasty!

I’m always up for sweet and savory combos – one of my favorites is an egg muffin: Ezekiel English muffin with jam, egg, and veggie sausage.

Meg June 17, 2010 at 9:16 am

I love sweet omelets, too! A brunch place near my apartment does an apple compote & cheddar omelet, and it’s surprisingly good.
Hope your home is all back in order soon.

Heather Eats Almond Butter June 17, 2010 at 9:41 am

Meg, That reminds me of my dad. He always melted cheese on his apple pie. I bet he would love that omelet!

Sarena (The Non-Dairy Queen) June 17, 2010 at 9:22 am

Hugs really do make everything better! I know it sounds weird, but I do think there is a science behind it! Have you seen Temple Grandin (HBO)? Anyway, she came up with a hug machine…not a bad idea. Tony’s hugs are amazing and really there is nothing better! When you have your little one…you will have hugs all the time! I have done the sweet egg thing when I made an egg white pancake with oats! I loved it! Your omelet looks delicious! Good luck on the plumber and hopefully CD will get his butt back soon!

Heather Eats Almond Butter June 17, 2010 at 9:46 am

Sarena, No, we are HBOless, but I love the idea of a hug machine. I needed it yesterday…plumber is here as I type, and CD will be home tonight. Thank goodness!

freckledfoodie June 17, 2010 at 9:26 am

We all rely so much on technology! It’s crazy to think of how simple life used to be without it! Things were a lot slower and took a lot more time, but it all worked out somehow!

The sweet omelette looks fantastic! I am a fan of apricot jam too! Have you ever tried a sweet omelet with cottage cheese?! It’s sooo tasty.

Heather Eats Almond Butter June 17, 2010 at 9:45 am

Freckledfoodie, No, but I know I would love it. Unfortunately, I can’t do much cottage cheese as I’m allergic to foods high in whey and casein proteins. Miss my cottage cheese!

Alexx June 17, 2010 at 9:29 am

That omelet sounds great! I’ll try it this weekend! I’m now on a oatmeal row, with apple or mango, so good. Maybe a stronger cheesse with a sweeter fruit would be nice?

Good luck with all your home make overs, it can be a terrible pain in the neck, but be patient and enjoy all the new stuff to come.

Karla June 17, 2010 at 9:35 am

Oooh I love the idea of a sweet omelet! That’s so clever! So is washing your blender in the shower :)

Erin June 17, 2010 at 9:41 am

Wow. Your omlets come out a lot better looking than mine! What’s your secret?

Heather Eats Almond Butter June 17, 2010 at 9:48 am

Erin, My omelet tutorial: http://heathereatsalmondbutter.com/recipes/omelet-tutorial/. Not much too it really. Enjoy! :)

saltytooth June 17, 2010 at 10:37 am

Hope you have a great day today and that it’s much better than yesterday!

Heather June 17, 2010 at 10:43 am

I didn’t sleep well either without my hubby last night….although it’s kinda funny why he wasn’t in bed.
He likes to sit on the potty and read b4 bed(NOT going #2!) and fell asleep! On the pot!
He finally came to bed @ midnight and was like “why didn’t you wake me up?!”
Uh….I didn’t know you were asleep!

Heather Eats Almond Butter June 17, 2010 at 3:04 pm

Heather, Oh my gosh, I am laughing so hard right now. That totally just made my day. Hope your hubby doesn’t have a crick in his neck today…or in his bum. ;)

Mama Pea June 17, 2010 at 11:11 am

I have a sundae like that for dessert every night and I’m not pregnant!

I haven’t showered with my Vita Mix….yet!

I hope things are back to normal for you ASAP!!!

Danielle (Runs on Green) June 17, 2010 at 11:13 am

I need to hop back on the protein-ice cream train!

Ok, so this can’t even compare…but I thought I’d send you an electronic hug :D

*(((HUGS)))*

Heather Eats Almond Butter June 17, 2010 at 3:03 pm

Thanks Danielle, virtual hugs are always good! :)

edenseats June 17, 2010 at 11:15 am

Sweet! you took my advice! Call me crazy but its SUPER yummy with melted peanut/almond butter inside with a few chocolate chips. ok, I’m off to make one…

Heather Eats Almond Butter June 17, 2010 at 3:04 pm

Edenseats, Um, you don’t sound crazy to me…at all! I love nut butter/chocolate chip crepes. So why not an omelet?

Katie@ Two Lives, One Lifestyle June 17, 2010 at 11:17 am

Goat cheese + apricot preserves??? I’ve been on a kick with both but not together, I must try it!

Tracey June 17, 2010 at 11:17 am

does showering with your vitamix get the white haze out of it?!!! ours looks about 30 years old, not to mentioned “we” ( or my husband whom i love dearly) put in down on a burner while making pancakes, so it is a little melted on one side, but it works!!! hope today is a little less filled with “surprises” of the not so good sort!!!!
i’ll have to try the omlet- spinach/egg and cheese wraps have been my lunchtime fare the past few days!

Heather Eats Almond Butter June 17, 2010 at 3:08 pm

Tracey, I had the same problem with my old Vita container – I believe it was from all the protein powder I used. I poured boiling vinegar into it and ended up cracking the plastic. Oops. I would recommend pouring room temp vinegar in and turning the speed up to high until it gets hot – let is soak for a while and perhaps add a little baking soda before scrubbing. I don’t think it will ever look new, but that might help.

Heather @ Get Healthy With Heather June 17, 2010 at 11:20 am

What a tasty combo! Maple syrup?what a sweet idea.

lindsay June 17, 2010 at 11:21 am

Tried a Hawaiian style omelet yet? Canadian bacon diced up with pineapple and cheese of choice (like provolone or goat cheese). Melt that right into the omelets middle and add some chalula on top. Sweet and spicy!

Heather Eats Almond Butter June 17, 2010 at 3:10 pm

Lindsay, Yep: http://heathereatsalmondbutter.com/2010/05/31/pineapple-chunk-lovin/. However, did not add the cholula. Will remember that for next time. :)

A Teenage Gourmet June 17, 2010 at 11:23 am

Man, I saw “Vita-Mix” and I immediately thought “GIVE AWAY!” . . . too bad. ;)

dorrybird June 17, 2010 at 11:24 am

I love that you just listen to your body and eat exactly what you are hungry for. There have been times when I eat dinner just so I can eat something sweet. Really, I should just go straight for the sweet if that’s what I’m craving. Thanks for the reminder. :)

Hope your hubs is coming home soon!

Heather Eats Almond Butter June 17, 2010 at 3:12 pm

Dorrybird, I used to do that all the time. Even if all I really wanted was a bowl of oats with nut butter, I would sit down to a meal, and then, even if I was full, I would eat a dessert of some sort. Now, I just go for what I really want!

Marina June 17, 2010 at 11:37 am

Goat cheese and apricots, it sounds actually pretty good!
I sometimes eat cheese with some kind of fruit spread, it tastes pretty good!

Scott in Ohio June 17, 2010 at 11:43 am

Hang in there HEAB’s.

Sufi proverb…”this, too, shall pass”

Lindsay (Summit Sandwiches) June 17, 2010 at 11:45 am

Huh? A sweet omelet. Sounds intriguing. I’m never one to shy away from unusual food combos, so I might try this one soon!

I had my own computer woes as well yesterday. I spilled some water on my keyboard yesterday, and now the trackpad clicker isn’t working. It was so weird to be at my house in the evening and not have the computer to keep me company. I got so much done because of it! Mopping, reading, dusting, tv-watching….it made me realize that I waste way too much time on the computer every night!

Heather Eats Almond Butter June 17, 2010 at 3:13 pm

Lindsay, So sorry about your keyboard, but sounds like we both learned lessons about ourselves. :)

Evelyn June 17, 2010 at 11:49 am

I hope CD comes back soon!!

Heather Eats Almond Butter June 17, 2010 at 3:14 pm

Evelyn, Thanks – he gets home tonight. :)

Olivia @ Blissful Runner June 17, 2010 at 11:52 am

Wow! I never would have thought of a sweet omlet, but it’s on the top of my list of things to make … and SOON! That sounds delicious!

Melissa @ For the Love of Health June 17, 2010 at 11:54 am

oh no!! I am so sorry to read about your bad day yesterday! I am glad you have a few things sorted out! I hope everything else is back to normal soon too!

Amazing looking eggs!!

Heather Eats Almond Butter June 17, 2010 at 3:22 pm

Thanks Melissa, Almost back to normal. Will be when CD gets home tonight. :)

lola June 17, 2010 at 12:56 pm

the omelet and the sundae look delicious!

marshell y. Roper June 17, 2010 at 1:07 pm

Stay strong my friend! You & CD are more blessed then you know!!~~~Shell

Heather Eats Almond Butter June 17, 2010 at 3:02 pm

Thanks Shell – your comments always bring a smile to my face. :)

Kendall June 17, 2010 at 1:07 pm

Your post title reminded me of a spin on “green eggs and ham” maybe something along the lines of… “Sweet Eggs with Jam.” :) Anyway, YAY I’m so glad you liked it! Something about the apricot with the goat cheese, so darn good with the eggs. I’d say I don’t know about other jams that way, however for years my ‘got home too late to cook and could eat a horse but gotta make something quick’ meal of choice has been 2 scrambled eggs atop a piece of toast with raspberry jam. Like an open faced sweet egg sandwich. Apricot here, raspberry there, not sure why. Maybe I should mix it up a bit but either way the sweet fruitiness with eggs is delish! Maple syrup sounds good too! Hope everything is better today and your kitchen is back to normal soon!

Heather Eats Almond Butter June 17, 2010 at 3:02 pm

Kendall, Thanks so much for the tip – it was delicious, and yes, we now have running water. Today is going much better!

Justine June 17, 2010 at 1:23 pm

I’ve never thought of making a sweet omlette! That sounds like a killer combination- I love apricot jam.

Katie June 17, 2010 at 1:45 pm

Growing up we used to have ice cream for dinner on Sundays, followed by a movie and popcorn. Your sundae makes me want to re-instate that tradition!

Heather Eats Almond Butter June 17, 2010 at 3:00 pm

Katie, And I think you should. :)

Elaine @ Om Sweet Om June 17, 2010 at 2:02 pm

I love sweet omelets! I first read about them on Janetha’s blog (Meals & Moves). I thought it was a weird combo but I gave them a try, with blueberry preserves and Laughing Cow Light Cheese wedges. They are now one of my favorites for breakfast or sandwiched between bagels for lunch!

Heather Eats Almond Butter June 17, 2010 at 2:59 pm

Elaine, I love Janetha or J. Bean as I like to call her. She does come up with some wonderful combos!

Emily June 17, 2010 at 2:10 pm

I love that you ate a sundae for dinner. I would probably eat the stuff I thought I should eat … and then still eat the sundae after.

hope today goes more smoothly for you! and that you get some hugs :)

Cherie June 17, 2010 at 2:13 pm

That omelet looks sooo good. I can never get mine to actually be in “omelette form.” So I just end up scrambling it all up. Tastes the same! I hope today goes much better for you! Hugs.

Heather Eats Almond Butter June 17, 2010 at 2:58 pm

Cherie, SO.MUCH.BETTER, and Carrie is going to concert with me. So no worries, but I wish you could be there!

Jenny June 17, 2010 at 2:25 pm

Oh Heather, just one of those days, eh? My poor girl! It sounds like things are starting to look up though and I hope that you are reunited with CD soon!

I still have yet to jump on the “sweet” omelet train but this post is just so tempting!

Sending you positive vibes!

Heather Eats Almond Butter June 17, 2010 at 2:57 pm

Thanks Jenny, doing so much better today, and CD will be home tonight. Hope you’re feeling 100% better!

Mary @ Bites and Bliss June 17, 2010 at 2:26 pm

I love sweet eggs! I always have jam with ‘em :D . And wow, yesterday was not your day at all. Honestly, you’re one tough cookie. An ice cream supper was the perfect way to help, though so good thinkin!

VeggieGirl June 17, 2010 at 2:43 pm

Oh my, what a stellar flavor combination!!

Praying that you will be totally wired with the internet!!

Erin June 17, 2010 at 3:07 pm

Thanks for the omelet help! I tried your method (for lunch) today and made my first relatively successful omelet! Just wondering–what do you grease the pan with to get that wonderful browning going on?

Heather Eats Almond Butter June 17, 2010 at 3:16 pm

Erin, Glad your omelet was a success! I usually use a little coconut oil to grease the pan.

Kelly June 17, 2010 at 3:25 pm

Oh hang in there and seriously, CD, come home to Heather!!! :)

KZ June 17, 2010 at 3:51 pm

I love omelets with pimento cheese and raspberry preserves. Or goat cheese and the raspberries. But my favorite way to eat eggs is scrambled with hot sauce and maple syrup. I love looking at all the creative food that you’re eating while pregnant; its given me ideas for when I reach that spot next year :)

Heather Eats Almond Butter June 17, 2010 at 3:53 pm

KZ, Yum – pimento cheese with eggs. Brilliant. Glad you’re enjoying my preggo foods…best of luck to you. :)

Jess (Nurse Jess the Blog) June 17, 2010 at 6:32 pm

Ooo that omelet sounds amazing!

Casey @ Chasing Casey June 17, 2010 at 6:38 pm

That sounds like an amazing omelette idea!

BroccoliHut June 17, 2010 at 7:19 pm

Never had a sweet omelet…but I think I might have one tomorrow morning:)

Pure2raw twins June 17, 2010 at 7:28 pm

Oh no, sounds like you had one of those days!! HUGS!!! Hope CD comes home soon with lots of hugs to give ; )

Your omelet combo sounds great!

Brynne June 17, 2010 at 9:00 pm

Glad you’re feeling better! Try eggs + strawberries for a sweet omelet of deliciousness :0)

Heather Eats Almond Butter June 18, 2010 at 6:11 am

Brynne, I will do that. :)

maxinthegym June 17, 2010 at 9:21 pm

Yum sweet omelets! I never thought of trying that! :)

seemichellecook June 17, 2010 at 9:23 pm

Funny how the man sleeping beside us is so comforting…..my husband came home only weekends for years and I swear that was the only time I would sleep all week! I was thinking that nutella and a banana omelet would probably be amazing….

Heather Eats Almond Butter June 18, 2010 at 6:25 am

Michelle, Oh my gosh – I love banana and nutella crepes…if only I had a banana I would try that combo with Dark Chocolate Dreams PB right now!

Averie (LoveVeggiesAndYoga) June 17, 2010 at 9:28 pm

Omg Heather. I am sooo sorry. Ok so Scott travels, a lot. He is leaving Sun, gone til Thurs. Alone with a child is the hardest thing ever. Well, maybe being preg and losing your phone, computer and your house is like little house on the prairie w/ no running water and electricity, etc…well, that’s probably harder! I am sooo sorry for all this random stuff. At least the universe is getting it out of the way now, not later :)

When CD does have to travel, have a PLAN for baby. I dont have any family here so it was all me (and it will be all you for the 1st year, hello nursing :) ) but just make sure you have someone there to hug you :)

Major hugs!!!!
xo

Heather Eats Almond Butter June 18, 2010 at 6:14 am

Averie, Everything is getting back to normal. Hot water, running water in the kitchen, new computer, phone will be here today, and CD is home…thank goodness. Lots of hugs! :)

Lindsey June 17, 2010 at 11:10 pm

Things will get better soon, Heather! Look at the positive side, you still have your yummy meals, and sometimes having a delicious omelet like that makes everything better :)
So glad you loved the maple syrup + egg combo!

jenny (green food diaries) June 18, 2010 at 12:24 am

i think i will have a HEABified chocolate ice cream sundae with coconut butter instead of whipping cream and cherries instead of the banana. mmm drooling now.

Mimi (Damn the Freshman 15) June 18, 2010 at 1:21 am

Sweet omelets rock! I love to use sweet potato, pumpkin, or kabocha. They’d go great with goat cheese!

Heather Eats Almond Butter June 18, 2010 at 6:13 am

Mimi, Agreed!

Tes June 18, 2010 at 1:45 am

I love the ice-cream. It sounds so yummy. I have to make my ice-cream like that. Thanks for sharing.
I love your blog more and more every day. I have to subscribe it. Keep the delicious works coming.

Heather Eats Almond Butter June 18, 2010 at 6:12 am

Tes, Will do. Thanks so much for reading!

Kristin (Cook, Bake and Nibble) June 18, 2010 at 5:12 am

Mmm, a sweet omelet is something I have not tried yet- looks delicious!!

xo
Kris

Katherine: What About Summer? June 18, 2010 at 5:59 am

Vitamix while showering? pre or post? I hope you don’t have egg in your shower… I know that’s not what you’re talking about here but I just want you to know that I hope that for you

Heather Eats Almond Butter June 18, 2010 at 6:12 am

Katherine, No egg…just a little protein ice-cream to rinse out, and it was post shower. ;)

Katie June 18, 2010 at 8:45 am

I HATE it when my husband is out of town :( :( And then on top of that, all you went through … I can’t imagine! I’m sorry. So glad you’re taking care of yourself anyway – good food, walking, etc.

alli June 18, 2010 at 8:49 pm

when i read this i thought; “who’s chris?” i guess i just think his name is CD ;)
my hubby is out of town right now. as much as i hate it, i sure get a whole lot done!

Heather Eats Almond Butter June 19, 2010 at 7:18 am

Alli, Yep, CD = Chris. Oh, and I got a lot done when he was gone as well. In fact, I’m waiting for him to go on a run right now so that I can vacuum. ;)