Veggies & Chocolate

by HEAB on June 18, 2010

Everything finally fell into place yesterday morning. The plumber showed up, and I got in a long walk with the dogs. After making sure our kitchen sink was up and running, I went and met my good friend Rayna for lunch at our favorite vegetarian restaurant, The Wild Cow.

I didn’t even pick up the menu when I saw the special of the day…roasted tempeh with red pepper sauce, couscous with pesto, and roasted summer squash. I’d like one of those please, thank you. :)

Roasted tempeh, I love you!

CD was not due to arrive until about 9 PM, and I knew he would be starving when he got home. So, I decided to make one of his new favorite dinners, the chicken pot pie from Now Eat This .

However, no chicken pot pie for me last night. Nope, I wanted chocolate. So, I made some butternut squash fudge and ate several squares. I figured I got my veggies in at lunch, and there is nothing wrong with chocolate for dinner, right? ;)

Or breakfast for that matter…

Trader Joe’s High Fiber Cereal with almond milk and fudge. Great way to start the day!

How you did get your Friday started?

Heather (Perspective Is Everything) June 18, 2010 at 7:31 am

Morning Heather! Lookin’ like a glowin’ mama to be ;)
Hubby was able to make it to bed without falling asleep on the potty, thank goodness! ha!

My Friday started with some BRM Mighty Tasty hot cereal with Pb, and then a bite of my chocolate bacon crunch bar i made yesterday.
yes, chocolate and bacon. you must try :D

Heather Eats Almond Butter June 18, 2010 at 7:35 am

Heather, So glad to hear the hubby made it to bed safely with no toilet rings around his bottom. ;)

I’ve had the Vosge’s chocolate bacon bar, but I thought it was a bit funky. I should try making my own!

Tes June 18, 2010 at 7:31 am

Wow everything looks so great! Thanks for sharing those. Our Friday usually start with hot milk and something that I bake specially.

Beth @ Beth's Journey to Thin June 18, 2010 at 7:33 am

Chocolate is a great addition to any meal in my book. I started my Friday off right with a 5k run and then eggs Chesapeake!

dmcgirl37 June 18, 2010 at 7:45 am

My day started with an awesome bowl of oats and PB!

That fudge looks awesome, you have the best recipes :)

Dana <3

Robin June 18, 2010 at 7:53 am

That fudge looks amazing!!

jenny (green food diaries) June 18, 2010 at 7:59 am

with a cup of tea, as always … i’m still in my bedroom. i think i feel a green monster coming for later though. maybe even with protein ice cream at the top??

the roasted tempeh looks so good. in a nearby vegetarian resto (they serve what i call it toronto’s vegetarian ‘fast food’) there is a vegan caesar salad that has fried crunchy tempeh bits at the top, as well as edamame, sundried tomatoes, pine nuts, on top of jicama and young lettuce greens (with option of goat cheese on top). those tempeh bits are to die for… i order this salad every time and ignore everything else on the menu. the resto has two cookbooks out, but no directions on how they make those crunchy tempeh bits. they’re soooo good.

Heather Eats Almond Butter June 18, 2010 at 11:10 am

Jenny, I want that salad. Sounds like my dream salad, and I would definitely opt for the goat cheese! :)

saltytooth June 18, 2010 at 8:09 am

I’m also starting my morning with chocolate. Chocolate cupcakes to be exact!

Sarah @ See Sarah Eat June 18, 2010 at 8:18 am

I started my day off with more waffles that I’m now hooked on thanks to you, ha ha ;-)

So glad everything finally came together. That lunch sounds awesome!

Heather Eats Almond Butter June 18, 2010 at 11:19 am

Sarah, Re. the waffles, you’re welcome. :)

Samantha Angela @ Bikini Birthday June 18, 2010 at 8:20 am

You put fudge in your cereal? awesome.

Sarah R June 18, 2010 at 8:23 am

Dark chocolate almond butter made an appearance in my oats this morning. Something about Friday morning just calls for chocolate! Happy Friday!

Stacie @ Imperfectly Healthy June 18, 2010 at 8:40 am

I oftentimes like to skip dinner and go straight for dessert. I mean, if that’s what you really want – why force yourself to eat dinner??

Heather Eats Almond Butter June 18, 2010 at 11:19 am

Stacie, I couldn’t agree more. :)

*Andrea* June 18, 2010 at 8:40 am

omg DROOL!!!!!!!!!!! fudge is one of my favorite treats… cant believe how healthy it can be though.. i need to make this asap

Brandi June 18, 2010 at 8:43 am

You look so cute pregnant :)

And I’m all for chocolate with breakfast. Definitely gets my day off on the right foot.

Today? I started off with an awesome breakfast cookie topped with coconut milk kefir…and a side of allergies :( At least breakfast was good!

Heather Eats Almond Butter June 18, 2010 at 11:18 am

Brandi, Hope you feel better soon. I’m sure the b’fast cookie helped. :)

Can You Stay for Dinner June 18, 2010 at 8:48 am

Heather, everything from your lunch out to the chicken pot pie to the brownies looks amazing. It’s only 7:30am in Seattle and I’m rethinking breakfast.

Have a lovely day!

Jenn (GH) June 18, 2010 at 9:10 am

Glad everything has settled now. That lunch look SUPER YUM!

Lindsay June 18, 2010 at 9:19 am

I’ve never had roasted tempeh before. I’m definitely going to try to recreate that meal from The Wild Cow. It looks amazing!

Tabitha June 18, 2010 at 9:23 am

So glad that everything has calmed down for you. The pot pie looks delish and you are naturally beautiful as ever.

Miranda @ Mirandasjeans June 18, 2010 at 9:26 am

Petso rice! Love it, I bet it would work in bulgur, quinoa, and couscous too! I love it on my tofu.

Heather Eats Almond Butter June 18, 2010 at 11:17 am

Miranda, I love pesto on everything. :)

freckledfoodie June 18, 2010 at 9:44 am

Can I just say, you are so NATURALLY pretty. Honestly, I’ve never seen such a bare face hold so much beauty!

Anywho. Chocolate & cereal is definitely the way to go for breakfast. I could eat cereal for dinner a lot of times too, but try to prevent it for the blog’s sake :)

Heather Eats Almond Butter June 18, 2010 at 11:14 am

Freckledfoodie, Thank you so much!

Haha, I used to try and come up with pretty and creative meals for the sake of the blog, and now I’m just like bring on the cereal…or fudge. ;)

VeggieGirl June 18, 2010 at 9:47 am

My Friday started with a wake-up call from the hotel… time to fly home! :)

Jen June 18, 2010 at 9:48 am

LOVE summer squash! I had veggies and fruit for breakfast (in a smoothie): almond milk, spinach, frozen blueberries, frozen banana, coconut oil (for healthy fat), ground flax seed. It was yummy.

Lynn June 18, 2010 at 9:54 am

I’ve never had tempeh either…What does it taste like? It looks so freaking good! I can’t wait to grow a huge bunch of basil to make fresh pesto for…well…everything! Sooo yummy.
And you really are glowing, Heather. Just gorgeous.
I started my Friday off with all natch peanut butter on whole grain toast and coffee. Sent my 18 month old to his grandma’s for the day/night since I have to close tonight and then open tomorrow at Lowe’s…ah the life of retail. I’m a weekend warrior there, so Fridays don’t really hold any special place in my heart LOL

Heather Eats Almond Butter June 18, 2010 at 11:13 am

Lynn, Tempeh is kind of nutty tasting – not sure, hard to describe, but I love it. Plain or marinated, roasted or straight from the package. I’ll eat in any form, and the texture is so much better than tofu! Plus, it’s fermented and easier on the belly. Tofu and other soy products give me the worst stomach bloat, but tempeh never bothers me. Good luck at work this weekend. :)

dorrybird June 18, 2010 at 9:55 am

My morning started with Bikram, then a great nature walk before it gets too hot and a bowl of banana oats! Glad things are back to normal for you as the weekend begins. :)

Erica June 18, 2010 at 10:07 am

Ah! I so want to go to that restaurant. I don’t know if we’re going to make it there for the 4th :( . We can get Frank a pet hotel reservation and there will be too many people at Josh’s parents to bring him :( Will let you know. Ow- that fudge looks so good! I started my Friday off with brunch with my preggers friend jill ;)

Heather Eats Almond Butter June 18, 2010 at 11:11 am

Erica, I really hope you make it!!!

kelsey@snackingsquirrel.com June 18, 2010 at 10:08 am

need to check out the recipe for squash fudge!!! wow.. i feel like im looking at the pic trying to find the butternut haha. delicious! <3

Sarena (The Non-Dairy Queen) June 18, 2010 at 10:22 am

So glad your day got better! Nothing better than a nice visit with a friend and some chocolate to make the day better (oh, and the plumbing working)! The fudge looks mighty tasty! I think I may have to give that one a try! Have a great weekend Heather!

nikkionlunch June 18, 2010 at 10:36 am

That fudge looks amazing… actually all the food on your blog looks amazing, HEAB.

Hmm, my day started with me in dire need of coffee and then almost heading to work in flip flops instead of work appropriate shoes! Ha!

L @ Whole Wheat Or Bust! June 18, 2010 at 10:46 am

Whenever I see chocolate or icecream in your breakfast bowls I just think ‘dayyummm you go girl. ‘

A Teenage Gourmet June 18, 2010 at 11:03 am

Butternut squash fudge, what a beautiful idea! :D

Ana June 18, 2010 at 11:14 am

I am glad things are back to normal and CD is coming home today! Yay!
There are times that we reeeeeally need hugs when we are pregnant. Some of the littlest things become a mondo of emotions. The one thing my husband was glad was over when I had my son was all the crying that came during the nine months… it was a relief for him! And for me too, it is kinda sad when you cry and don’t even know why you are crying so much for so little!
We are visiting Italy for this next 2 weeks, just got here yesterday, really nice! I will try to visit your blog though, I miss reading it!

Heather Eats Almond Butter June 18, 2010 at 11:16 am

Ana, Oh my gosh, Italy!!! I am so jealous. Soak in every moment for me…as well as a few scoops of gelato. ;)

eatmovelove June 18, 2010 at 11:19 am

Great eats. I Must say, I don’t know how you do such small meals. I’d be in the fridge all night! I’d had the chicken pie and brownies please ;) . Take care.

Lindsey F. June 18, 2010 at 11:26 am

The roasted tempeh lunch looks delicious!

I had maple oatmeal with almond milk and sliced bananas for lunch, then headed to the Pilates studio. :) I love a good morning workout! It sets my mentality for the day.

Lindsey F. June 18, 2010 at 11:27 am

Ooops, the oatmeal was brekfast. :P Maybe I should proofread!

marshell y. Roper June 18, 2010 at 11:31 am

I got my Friday started with a two hour work out at the GYM!! And I am willing to do a five hour work out if you send me the recipe for “Butternut Squash fudge.” I loveeeeeee BS! and that sounds like taking it to a whole new level! Thanks and have a blessed day!~~~~~Shell

Heather Eats Almond Butter June 18, 2010 at 2:22 pm

Shell, For the butternut squash fudge, simple mix a can of pureed squash or pumpkin with 1 box of brownie mix, and bake in a 350 degree oven for 35 minutes. Allow to cool and then refrigerate…and no 5 hour workout required. ;)

Melissa @ For the Love of Health June 18, 2010 at 11:48 am

That’s great everything is back in order Heather!
I have never had Tempeh before! Does it have comparable taste to something else or can you describe it a little? I am always open to new things but I was just curious what it tasted like and what type of texture it had.

Butternut Squash Brownies sound amazing!!

Heather Eats Almond Butter June 18, 2010 at 2:25 pm

Melissa, I love tempeh, but the taste is hard to describe. It tastes kind of nutty, and the texture is chewy – not at all slimy like tofu. I usually marinate and roast it, but I also love it straight out of the package. It’s great crumbled on salads or crumbled to make a mock chicken salad, etc. Plus, it’s fermented and easy on the belly. Tofu and most other soy products do a number on my stomach, but I have no problems with tempeh. The fermentation process makes it easier to digest.

Kate simpson June 18, 2010 at 12:04 pm

Well, for snacks or lunches on the go, try Ryvita multiseed slices with either Nutella, peanut butter or your choice of nut butter. Delicious! Once i’ve spread the sauce onto one, it cut them in half and stick them together. They are lovely, I’ve converted all my friends! One Ryvita Multiseed is 37 calories so they’re super healthy, too!

Heather Eats Almond Butter June 18, 2010 at 2:20 pm

Kate, Sounds delicious. I’ll have to try that.

Jenna June 18, 2010 at 12:10 pm

I started my day with a cup of java and a lemon blueberry scone! I have what I like to call ‘Scone Friday’ every week. There is a little hole in the wall restaurant by my office that has the best scones that I’ve ever had.

Heather Eats Almond Butter June 18, 2010 at 2:18 pm

Jenna, Scone Friday…I like it. :)

Andrea of Care to Eat June 18, 2010 at 12:39 pm

I ate that TJs cereal this morning. It definitely could have used a brownie.

Katie June 18, 2010 at 1:31 pm

My Friday got started by mixing up some beet and cabbage slaw and then some Shaun T Insanity. I needed a good start to my not so great day.

I’m giving away a yoga mat bag that I made on my blog today. If you want to enter… :)

Kellie June 18, 2010 at 2:03 pm

I love that fudge can be a breakfast, lunch, dinner and dessert item!

Kelly June 18, 2010 at 2:15 pm

Roasted tempeh…YES PLEASE!!!!

Brynne June 18, 2010 at 2:29 pm

Your Friday started off better than mine (no chocolate)! But it did include blueberry coffee, burning off some energy at the gym, and a yogurt mess :0)

Heather Eats Almond Butter June 18, 2010 at 2:34 pm

Brynne, Sounds like a pretty good morning to me. :)

Mary @ Bites and Bliss June 18, 2010 at 3:02 pm

Yum brownies for dinner!! :D I got my Friday started with cookies n cream overnight oats. So yay for “junk food” ;) How’d those brownies taste with butternut squash in the mix?

Heather Eats Almond Butter June 18, 2010 at 3:06 pm

Mary, I love the butternut squash brownies, but CD thinks they taste funky. Pumpkin would probably be milder as that’s what the original recipe called for. However, I had a hard time finding pumpkin and just went with butternut squash. I love it!

Justine June 18, 2010 at 3:04 pm

Chocolate for breakfast AND dinner? Yes, please! I am dying to try that fudge recipe. :)

Mary @ Bites and Bliss June 18, 2010 at 3:09 pm

Yeah I’ve seen recipes that call for pumpkin so I was wondering if you just subbed in the squash for it. Apparently the pumpkins got killed by a bad freeze last winter and Libby’s was hit hard so that’s why they’re no where to be found anymore. I hope it comes back before fall!! :S

Kristin (Cook, Bake and Nibble) June 18, 2010 at 4:39 pm

Girl, I totally wish I was preggers and it was acceptable to eat chocolate for dinner ;)

Looks delish, though- and I so would have ordered that tempeh dish too! Looks fantastic!

xo
K

Pure2raw twins June 18, 2010 at 5:09 pm

When you start and end your day with chocolate you know it has been a good day!! Who cares about the veggies, haha.

Sarah June 18, 2010 at 6:45 pm

an amazing bowl of oatmeal with banana, chocolate protein powder, and some lovely chia seeds that i won from a fantastic blogger ;)

i wish there was a restaurant in dc called the wild cow…it sounds like it’d be a fave of mine!

Jennie June 18, 2010 at 7:41 pm

The lunch looks really delicious! I’ve not had tempeh in a long time, I’d like to have some now :)

meandchew June 18, 2010 at 8:40 pm

Absolutely nothing wrong with chocolate for dinner!

Alisa June 18, 2010 at 9:00 pm

Hmm, I think I may need to give tempeh another go.

We are brimming with apricots thanks to our CSA, so I made a spiced apricot-cashew smoothie. Yum! Will be posting that one on the blog soon :) But, I just post a HEAB-like smoothie – PB and Banana so I need to give it a smoothie break on there I think.

Heather Eats Almond Butter June 19, 2010 at 7:27 am

Alisa, An apricot-cashew smoothie? I’ll be on the lookout for that post!

Averie (LoveVeggiesAndYoga) June 18, 2010 at 9:30 pm

So happy that things are BACK on Track!!! YAY!!!!!

I have seen everything from chickpea blondies to black bean fudge and have actually posted about it…but I havent jumped on. Nor to squash brownies :) But I should try. I love desserts that are sinfully decadent and squash and beans dont scream that. This is coming from the high raw lady that I am…but hey, even raw vegans need decadent desserts! But as I look at that fudge of yours…it looks RIDIC decadent. Hmmm….may need to try…crack a box of GF brownie mix and add a can of squash! No other ingredients added? what do I have to lose….

xoxo

Karl June 18, 2010 at 9:48 pm

Heather… I have to say that you win the ‘I eat weird things contest’. My wife thinks I am a bit loopy with some of my creations, yet you have me beat hands down. I found your blog through someone who recently commented on my blog and must say that I will be back. You always have something interesting and you have a great success story for everyone to look up to.

Keep up the good work.

Heather Eats Almond Butter June 19, 2010 at 7:34 am

Karl, Thank you – I’m honored. Gosh, you should have seen some of my older posts…even I look back and think “what was I thinking?!?” I went through a purple cauliflower oat bran phase and loved it. Now the thought of it makes me want to gag. So please tell your wife it could be worse. ;) Thanks so much for reading!

glutenfreemuse June 18, 2010 at 10:42 pm

I love your combos :-) Veggies and Chocolate=Heaven!

How do you find all your local delicious restaurants? I feel like I’m watching a Diners, Drive-Ins, and Dives episode every time I read your blog! I wish we had more of those healthy delicious options in Colorado Springs! I feel like everything is a chain here unless you head up to Manitou…got any Colorado Springs gems??

Thanks!

~Alyssa

Heather Eats Almond Butter June 19, 2010 at 7:31 am

Glutenfreemuse, We didn’t dine much in Colorado Springs, although I loved Trinity Brewing Company. They make this great salad with tempeh, and I love their sweet potato fries! Oh, and although I never ate there, I hear Poor Man Richard’s is great, and some of my friends told me about an excellent Mexican (healthy fish taco kind of place) across the street from Colorado Running Company on Tejon I think.

BroccoliHut June 18, 2010 at 10:50 pm

Wow, that special at the Wild Cow DOES sound pretty phenom. If only we had such culinary masterpieces in restaurants around here…

Lisa June 19, 2010 at 4:50 am

The squash fudge looks fabulous. I’m going to try it—thanks!
I enjoy reading your posts everyday…totally helps me justify my own (obsession) passion for food!

Heather Eats Almond Butter June 19, 2010 at 7:27 am

Lisa, That makes me happy to hear. :)

wendy @ ABCs and Garden Peas June 19, 2010 at 7:40 am

Ack! I need to make that fudge! We are growing butternuts for baby food, but I think I will steal some to make fudgy mommy food too!

Heather Eats Almond Butter June 19, 2010 at 7:43 am

Wendy, So cool you’re growing your own butternuts for baby food, but yes, I think mommy needs some too! :)

wendy @ ABCs and Garden Peas June 19, 2010 at 8:03 am

Thanks, Heather. Since I’m nursing, the garden is Daddy’s way of contributing to my son’s healthy diet. He was so cute, planning out the layout of the “baby food garden” while I was still pregnant…

I don’t make all of our own baby food, but with all the recalls lately, I’m thinking I should start.

hayleycepeda June 19, 2010 at 11:01 am

I don’t know whether I’m drooling more over the chicken pot pie or your brownies…YUMM!!! I clicked on the link for the pot pie and saw that it’s out of Rocco Despirito’s (sp?) book. Rats!!!

I’m going to have to try your brownie mix!

Heather Eats Almond Butter June 19, 2010 at 1:36 pm

Hayley, Let me know if you want the chicken pot pie recipe, and I’ll email it to you. Super easy! Just don’t tell Rocco. ;)

Julisa June 20, 2010 at 11:34 pm

Hi. Love your blog. Finally tried tempeh for the first time. It was great. Bragg’s makes all the difference. Good luck with the baby.

Heather Eats Almond Butter June 21, 2010 at 12:32 pm

Julisa, For some reason, your comment was in my spam folder, but I rescued it! So glad you enjoyed the tempeh and thanks for reading my blog. :)

Gena June 22, 2010 at 4:50 am

Yum! I remember that, in his cookbook, Peter Berley mentioned that his wife couldn’t get enough tempeh during her two pregnancies. I don’t blame her — or you! Looks great.