Fudgin Crazy Over Fudge

by HEAB on June 19, 2010

Several of you asked for the butternut squash fudge recipe. It’s so simple. Simply mix 1 can of pureed squash (2 cups) or pumpkin with 1 box of brownie mix. Spoon into an 8 x 8 brownie dish and bake for 35 minutes in a 350° oven. Allow to cool and then cover with foil and place in fridge. That’s it.

Or, if you’re of the raw dessert persuasion, how about a batch of Chocolate Covered Katie’s Cookie Dough Fudge Babies? The stork delivered some to my house yesterday, and I highly recommend them. :)

After I complained about the bright sunlight in the morning, sweet Katie sent me one of her homemade Africards, a batch of said fudge babies, and a sleeping mask. Please take notice of the Fudge Baby crumbs stuck to both the sleeping mask and the card. Oops – couldn’t help myself. So good Katie! Oh, and I wore the sleeping mask last night and slept in until almost 8. THANK YOU KATIE!!!

After dinner, I made a big bowl of chocolate protein ice-cream with whipped cream and a Fudge Baby on top.

Ok, this bowl was HUGE, but all for all you calorie conscious readers out there, probably only contained a little over 200 calories. Heaven in a bowl I tell ya!

I awoke this morning thinking of trying a new omelet, but then thought, Nah, I want more fudge!

My bowl consisted of Total Raisin Bran, Peanut Butter Puffins, almond milk, and 2 squares of butternut squash fudge, and I am now sipping on a mug of hot chocolate. Barely 9 AM, and I believe my chocolate quota has been filled for the day…or has it?!?

How do you plan to get your chocolate fix today…and to the chocolate loathers out there (I know you exist), how will get your vanilla lovin on today? ;)

homecookedem June 19, 2010 at 8:17 am

Thanks for the fudge recipe!! That sounds good. I haven’t craved chocolate at all yet, but I’m sure it’ll happen in either the 2nd or 3rd trimester, so it’s good to know for the future!! :)

Chocolate-Covered Katie June 19, 2010 at 8:18 am

Awww the fudge babies feel so famous to be on your bloggie :) .

Jenn (GH) June 19, 2010 at 8:18 am

How do you sweeten it? Do the brownie mixes have sugar in them??? Or can I use stevia?

Heather Eats Almond Butter June 19, 2010 at 1:40 pm

Jenn, All the brownie mixes I’ve seen contain sugar…a lot. To use stevia, you’d have to make them from scratch…let me know if you concoct a good recipe!

Chocolate-Covered Katie June 19, 2010 at 8:19 am

Oh, and wow does that sundae look amazing. I’m going to have to make some of your protein ice cream ASAP! I made it once, and thought I didn’t like it… but it turned out that I didn’t like the protein powder I used! Silly me, to make a recipe before seeing if I liked the base :( . So I’m going to try again, maybe with our friend Jay ;) .

Deb (SmoothieGirlEatsToo) June 19, 2010 at 8:21 am

Sometimes a girl just can’t get enough chocolate! :-)

I love a smoothie powder (soy based) that is chocolate- it’s my favorite chocolate protein powder of allllll time called Skinny Mini (cheesy name, right?!) by Nature’s plus:

I also add cocoa powder to give it more of a chocolate flavor.

By the way, is it me, but I can’t find any more of the Hershey’s Extra Special Dark chocolate anymore? Please tell me it’s not discontinued!?!?!

Love you! That fudge sounds amazing!

Heather Eats Almond Butter June 19, 2010 at 1:45 pm

Deb, Oh gosh, I hope not! I still have 2 containers of the Hershey’s stuff and haven’t shopped for it in a while. That stuff is the BEST!

Sarena (The Non-Dairy Queen) June 19, 2010 at 8:22 am

I plan to hunt down some guar gum is what I now plan to do! It is HOT here and protein ice cream is a must do! I hope your spirits are higher today with all the chocolate love! Have a great one, Heather!

Little Bookworm June 19, 2010 at 8:22 am

Sweet of Katie to send you that parcel! :) That sundae looks amazing!

Deb (SmoothieGirlEatsToo) June 19, 2010 at 8:23 am

PS. Whoops- I meant I can’t find the extra special dark cocoa POWDER!!?? (not chocolate)

Jenny June 19, 2010 at 8:30 am

Omelets are great and all, but simply can’t replace fudge for breakfast.

My chocolate fix of choice is a square (or 5) of dark chocolate. Oh swooooon!

Tes June 19, 2010 at 8:33 am

The sandea looks delicious! The fudge, too sounds amazing. I have to try Katie fudge baby recipe!

Heather (Perspective Is Everything) June 19, 2010 at 8:46 am

FUDGE YEAH! ;)
chocolate today has already been a bite of my chocolate covered bacon bark. will probably have some cayenne chocolate bark later. aaaaaaaaaaaaand maybe i’ll have a bite of a happy herbivore black bean brownie :)

Kelly June 19, 2010 at 8:48 am

Hehe…I am the chocolate hater! I love my some vanilla flavored anything thought! My favorite non-chocolate treats are plain jain sugar cookies or blondies! So yum!!

A Teenage Gourmet June 19, 2010 at 8:49 am

I’m really curious about that ice cream concoction and the butternut fudge. They both look delicious and make me very happy. :)

Heather Eats Almond Butter June 19, 2010 at 1:46 pm

Teenage Gourmet, They made me quite happy as well. :)

famishedtofantastic June 19, 2010 at 9:00 am

You are making this pregnant lady drool over all that chocolate. I think once I get power back in my house (crazy storms last night) I will have to make some of that fudge. Thanks for the idea!

Heather June 19, 2010 at 9:27 am

girl, when i start eating fudge i just can’t stop…it’s sad! it’s like it has magical powers over my self-control…

Leah June 19, 2010 at 9:27 am

Yum that fudge looks great! Your food always looks so delicious!

I have a question (a little off topic) but here goes: Ive been eating Oat Bran for breakfast all week & well it just doesnt like me! It is causing me to be bloated, gassy & have loose stools. I know (TMI) Too Much Info!! Sorry! Any suggestions for me? Im trying hard to increase my fiber & eat healthier, but the tummy troubles are getting the best of me :-( Thanks again!

Heather Eats Almond Butter June 19, 2010 at 1:50 pm

Leah, I have a friend that was the same way – no more oats in her life and the stomach bloat and gas are gone! She handles cold cereals quite well. Have you tried any high fiber cereals? Trader Joe’s makes some great ones. I used to eat Fiber One, but the original contains aspartame. However, I think the others like the frosted shredded wheat use regular sugar.

I would also recommend pumpkin. Another reader highly recommends it for staying regular. How about a pumpkin/yogurt/flax seed mess in the mornings, or a pumpkin smoothie with chia seeds (lots of good fiber in those little seeds!)? Hope this helps, and trust me, NOTHING is ever TMI for me. I’ve heard it all. :)

Run Sarah June 19, 2010 at 9:32 am

What a sweet package! I forgot to close my curtains and woke up at 5am this morning, ugh. I willl probably have a chocolate protein smoothie at some point today since it’s a warm day!

kyla June 19, 2010 at 9:32 am

I’m making a single serve No Pudge Fudge brownie in the microwave topped with some Edy’s slow churned fudge tracks. mmmm!!!

Thanks for your recipe! I do have a can of pumpkin and some brownie mix…

caronae June 19, 2010 at 9:44 am

I plan on getting my chocolate on with some cold coconut dark chocolate. WF makes the most amazing bar! I have fallen in love with it, especially when it’s in the fridge. Anything hot or room temperature has been sooooo unappealing to me lately.

Happy chocolate eating saturday! I’m sure you’ll need more at some point. :)

Heather Eats Almond Butter June 19, 2010 at 1:43 pm

Caronae, Yes, I’m sure I will, and I’ll be on the lookout for that bar. Is it 365 brand chocolate?

Kellie June 19, 2010 at 9:49 am

It’s my sons 10th Birthday so we are having cake tonight. I have been holding out all week for a big piece tonight!

Lindsey F. June 19, 2010 at 9:50 am

Oh yeah, I ‘m a vanilla lover! I’ll definitely be doing something with my vanilla almond milk today. :)

Lindsey D. June 19, 2010 at 10:26 am

I get my chocolate fix first thing every morning. I start off my day with a HUGE superfood Hemp Protein Based smoothie and I add raw cocoa powder and a few spoons of cacao nibs. I LOVE putting the nibs in my drinks because it gives it a chocolate chip effect and I am a big texture girl! It’s kind of like a way healthier version of a chocolate chip starbucks frap!! :D

saltytooth June 19, 2010 at 10:40 am

Thanks for the fudge recipe. I just made a bunch a squash puree and now I know what I’ll do with it!

Meg June 19, 2010 at 10:52 am

I plan on getting my chocolate fix by coming to your place, and expecting you to fix me one ;) JUST kidding…:) Although that looks insanely delicious! Maybe I’ll venture into some fudge baby making today!

Heather Eats Almond Butter June 19, 2010 at 1:42 pm

Meg, you’re welcome at my house anytime for a chocolate fix…I’ll even let you try on the eye mask. ;)

Meg June 19, 2010 at 10:53 am

p.s. eye masks are wonderful, aren’t they?!

Katherine: What About Summer? June 19, 2010 at 12:01 pm

I’m getting some green loving tonight; I just packed up brussel sprouts for dinner while I’m babysitting. Maybe the kids will get some chocolate fix while I’m there too; you never know! (ps: if you want to check out my post Humpty Dumpty, I’m collecting blog photos- no big deal, thanks!)

Katie June 19, 2010 at 1:07 pm

I refuse to believe that ther eare people out there who don’t like chocolate. They are mythical creatures – like the chupacabra. :D

I’m out of protein powder, and was debating whether to get more or not. Your sundae just convinced me. I Know what I am having for dessert tonight!

Averie (LoveVeggiesAndYoga) June 19, 2010 at 1:39 pm

Love that you got some sleep YAY! I got 4 hrs. Life of a mom. 2 cups of coffee. And with that my 20 hour day begins :)

Thx for the clarification on the recipe. I figured that was it after going to the orig linkback you provided. I am with Jenn/Girl Heroes, though, how do you sweeten it? (for ppl with insatiable sweet teeth! we need to know!). And I bet you are hating me right about now w/ all these questions on such a simple-stupid recipe. I even hate myself for asking!

xo

Heather Eats Almond Butter June 19, 2010 at 1:54 pm

Averie, I don’t sweeten as the brownie mix contains a good dose of sugar. I really like the Hodgon Mill’s gluten free mix – my favorite thus far! And please never hesitate to ask me questions – HELLO, I’ve asked you about a million over the last couple of months. :)

Pure2raw twins June 19, 2010 at 2:29 pm

When we got back from our market, we had a few of our brownie bite and cocoa kremes, so yes we had our chocolate fix today!!

Your chocolate protein looks perfect for a hot summer day!

eatmovelove June 19, 2010 at 2:40 pm

Never too early or late for chocolate.

Or vanilla.

BroccoliHut June 19, 2010 at 3:02 pm

I’m thinkin a chocolate rice protein shake will be on the menu today…

Jackie (Peaces of Earth) June 19, 2010 at 3:08 pm

I need to make that fudge!! Going to go check out the brownie mixes today. :)

Mary @ Bites and Bliss June 19, 2010 at 3:24 pm

I got a small chocolate fix with my smoothie this afternoon- and there will definitely be more come tonight!!!

Danielle (Runs on Green) June 19, 2010 at 4:35 pm

Dearest HEABS,
1. Thanks so much for your sweet comment the other day :)
2. I’m eating PB puffins as I’m typing this. Sooo good (!)
3. Katie’s card/eye mask/f. babies are adorable
4. I like lists

Enjoy your weekend!!

Heather Eats Almond Butter June 19, 2010 at 6:33 pm

Danielle, Haha – I’m a list girl myself. Enjoy the rest of your weekend! :)

eugenie June 19, 2010 at 5:25 pm

can’t wait to try making your protein ice cream with some pumpkin brownies sometime soon. yummmmmmmmm. sounds so delicious and a good compromise, nutritionally, compared with the “real” things. have you tried “laura’s wholesome junk food”?

Heather Eats Almond Butter June 19, 2010 at 6:39 pm

Eugenie, I think you will love the protein ice-cream and brownies, and I eye Laura’s Bite-lettes every time I’m in Whole Foods. I’ve heard only good things about them…perhaps next shopping trip! :)

emily June 19, 2010 at 5:32 pm

loving your posts, as always. :)

tonight i decided to make some chocolate protein ice cream– hadn’t tried your specific combo before, & the beautiful picture made it impossible to resist. i got out my trusty magic bullet, put in the milk (i actually did 4 oz. milk / 4 oz. water for calories’ sake), gums, etc., and whizzed away. it wasn’t quite chocolatey enough for my taste, so i added a bit more cocoa powder. after pouring it into a bowl, sprinkling it with a few nonpareils and dusting with cocoa powder, i grabbed the jay robb protein powder packet to peruse while having my treat. it was definitely full. i forgot to add it to the mix! protein ice cream…. without the protein.

if i’m having senior moments now at 22, my future does not look so promising.

oh well; another time. :)

Heather Eats Almond Butter June 19, 2010 at 6:35 pm

Emily, I have done the same thing twice in the past week – I blame it on pregnancy brain! The first time, I had already blended in some cookie chunks, and didn’t want to obliterate them. So, I just stirred in the Jay Robb, and it worked just fine. Then yesterday, I just blended it in…so funny we’ve both done that. Glad you enjoyed the recipe! :)

marshell y. Roper June 19, 2010 at 10:37 pm

Oh my God, you caught me!!
I got my vanilla loving on today by cheating! I had me a big cone of vanilla ice cream from McD’s and I loved every minute of it, or maybe I should say every lick of it!

Heather Eats Almond Butter June 20, 2010 at 4:22 am

Shell, MickeyD’s cones are the BEST, and so cheap. I love soft serve. :)

Ana June 20, 2010 at 2:32 am

My chocolate fix today was in form of Nutella! And yesterday in kinder chocolates, omg, I am loving Italy! Gelato is the best thing in the world!
Love the package Katie’s sent to you, so sweet! And great idea for the fudge, I have to try that sometime soon, I know my son will love that!

Heather Eats Almond Butter June 20, 2010 at 4:24 am

Ana, My favorite gelato flavor was Nutella! If I ever saw it in a gelateria, no other flavor would suffice! So happy to hear you’re enjoying your trip. :)

Allie (Protein Girl) June 20, 2010 at 5:50 am

I thought of you when I passed Dairy Queen the other day! I need a Heabified Blizzard, I thought.

Does one have to be pregnant in order to enjoy brownies for breakfast? If so, I think I’m going to go seduce the hubs in a few minutes…

Heather Eats Almond Butter June 20, 2010 at 7:09 am

Allie, Nope, no bun in the oven required for a brownie breakfast. ;)

Ana June 20, 2010 at 5:56 am

I am definitely getting my gelato share here Heather! We have had a nutella, an yogurt one, and one that I loved was called biscotto, it was made with little chunks of a cookie, sort of cookies and cream, but much, much better!
Have you been to Italy before Heather? We will be going to Rome next weekend, let me know if you have any recommendations from there, it is the first time we are here and we don’t have much clue of what to do where!
We did a Parmeggiano Reggiano tour a couple days ago that I just loved, so cool, the highlights so far! Now we are in the Tuscany region, went to Parma yesterday. Today it is raining cats and dogs and we are staying in, but tomorrow we hope to have some sunshine and do some more traveling.

Ps: I wanted to send this over e-mail but I can’t send messages from my e-mail from here, so I sent through the comment, but you don’t need to post the comment if you don’t want too!

Heather Eats Almond Butter June 20, 2010 at 7:13 am

Ana, I’ve been to Italy 5 times. LOVE IT. The last time was for our honeymoon. Chris and I spent 3 weeks traveling around the whole country. Here’s a summary of our trip – we stayed very active and ate some great food: http://www.danielleabroad.com/2010/06/luna-di-miele.html. Enjoy your trip – can’t wait to hear more about it Ana! :)

Kathi June 20, 2010 at 6:51 am

I read your blog daily but this is the first time I am posting! Yah for me for coming from behind the shadows! :) Just wanted to let you know I made the “fudge ” yesterday and it is fabulous. I also ended up ordering the guar gum so that I can make the protein ice cream. I look forward to seeing that package arrive in the mail. I enjoy your blog very much and all the wonderful women here inspire to keep on my journey of health and “normal” eating which is a long story for me. But I am hopeful that I can come to peace with food and enjoy it again.

Kathi

Heather Eats Almond Butter June 20, 2010 at 7:10 am

Kathi, Thanks so much for reading, and I honestly believe you are on a good path. Please know I’m always just an email away if you ever have any questions or just need some encouragement! So happy to hear you enjoyed the fudge, and you must let me know what you think of the protein ice-cream. :) Sincerely, Heather

Nicole June 20, 2010 at 7:29 am

Good Morning!!
I’m catching up on the last 2 posts and I couldn’t help but crack up at your chocolate lovins.
I keep saying I have to try making at least one batch of the fudge babies … and the butternut squash brownies …. this week would be a good week for that since it’s my “carb loading” week — the 1/2 is next Sunday! (crazy!!) I’m going to have to text you along the course…
My chocolate fix came Friday afternoon when I saw that my favorite coffee shop owner was selling freshly made dark chocolate covered coffee beans. He put an announcement on Facebook and within a half hour, I was begging him for a bag. He knows about how I’ve cut out most of the refined sugars in my life so he looked at me cross-eyed at first. Then he said, “Well it’s dark chocolate…which is better for you…” and I said, “Honey I don’t need any explanations, I don’t need healthified excuses, it’s Friday and I want some NOW!!!”
Holy yum were these things good. And I got quite the caffeine buzz off of them too..I almost felt like I had smoked a cigarette or something…but that’s another story…lol

Heather Eats Almond Butter June 20, 2010 at 7:32 am

Nicole, Haha – I love chocolate covered espresso beans. One time CD and I went to town on a bag after dinner and neither of us slept very well that night. Needless to say they are banned in our house after 12 noon. :) Take it easy this week, and I would love to hear from you during your half. Can’t wait for the recap!!

Kristin (Cook, Bake and Nibble) June 20, 2010 at 8:13 am

WOW- I had no idea the butternut fudge recipe was that easy, I need to make that ASAP!!

I think I just may get my chocolate on with these today!

xo
Kris

Gaby June 20, 2010 at 10:29 am

Aw Katie is such a sweetheart! I <3 that girl :)
I was just thinking about getting a mask the other morning as sunlight streamed through my curtains at 6 am. I'll have to try it.
I've also been meaning to send you photos of some of my ice cream breakfasts, which I'll do as soon as I download everything from my camera. I'm obsessed! And I'm coming up with the greatest flavor combos, this morning was chocolate coffee ginger with homemade chocolate granola. OMG! Who would have thought that such daily indulgences would be good for me?
Hope you and the growing family are doing well!

Heather Eats Almond Butter June 20, 2010 at 4:16 pm

Gaby, Yes, PLEASE send ice-cream photos and recipes! :) I’ve been meaning to pick up some instant decaf to make myself a coffee flavor. Yum, that sounds soooo good! I love coffee flavored anything!

j June 20, 2010 at 11:15 am

I’m the chocolate hater out there!!! Can’t stand the stuff! Today I plan on making berries with a vanilla infused cashew-tofu cream (based on a recipe from the book Clean Food).

Heather Eats Almond Butter June 20, 2010 at 4:17 pm

J, Turns out you’re not alone. Several other vanilla lovers/chocolate haters out there. Hope you enjoyed your cashew-tofu cream and berries. :)

Bekah June 25, 2010 at 11:48 am

Sometimes I have days where every meal/stack revolves around chocolate. I don’t mean for them to be like that– but hey, it happens! (Psh, I’ve probably said this exact same thing in a comment before, it happens so much.) At least you get to pull the preggers card!

(I’m coveting your protein ice cream+whip+fudge baby at the moment.)

Heather Eats Almond Butter June 25, 2010 at 12:00 pm

Beeks, You can totally pull the “I’m a student sharing a small dorm room with 2 other girls” card when it comes to an excuse for eating chocolate at every meal! ;)