The Pancakes Return

by HEAB on June 20, 2010

Another 3 AM wake up call. I’m not sure why I always wake up between 3 and 4, but at least I’ve gotten a lot done…and it’s barely 8 AM. Let’s see, I’ve vacuumed our entire downstairs, replied to all my emails, washed my car, and even enjoyed a pancake breakfast. Welcome back Pancake Sunday! :)

This morning’s cakes look a little rough, but they sure tasted good. I was in a savory mood and made goat cheese pancakes to eat alongside some leftover beef stroganoff atop a bed of spinach. The stroganoff recipe (last night’s dinner) is from the Now Eat This cookbook, and for the pancakes, I made Allie’s low carb gluten free pancakes, adding crumbled goat cheese to each cake before flipping. Delicious!

I’m not sure what to do with myself now that I’ve already finished most of my to-do list. I think I might take a walk and then make yet another trip to Home Depot. Then it’s off to a Father’s Day lunch with the fam.

Happy Father’s Day Dad. I love you!!!

And a Happy Father’s Day to all the other dads out there as well! :)

Frugal 'n' Fit! June 20, 2010 at 7:38 am

I’m 5 months pregnant and often wake up around 2 or 3 too! It’s annoying, but I’m usually able to fall back asleep in an hour or so. Maybe I should try your route and be productive? :)

Heather Eats Almond Butter June 20, 2010 at 7:40 am

Frugal, I know – every morning I wake between 3 and 4 to use the bathroom, and although I can usually fall asleep, on the days I can’t, I just go ahead and get out of bed. I’m able to get so much done and usually end up sleeping really well the following night. :)

A Teenage Gourmet June 20, 2010 at 7:43 am

Oops . . . I missed pancakes for breakfast. . . I’ll just have to squeeze them in for dessert. That’s a really cute picture of you and your daddy. :)

Lisa June 20, 2010 at 7:53 am

Your pancakes look delicious! It’s so great how dinner can turn into breakfast sometimes (and taste so awesome!).

Stefanie June 20, 2010 at 7:54 am

Yay for the return of pancake sunday! They look really good. I have never had savory pancakes just plain sweet ones. :)

Evan Thomas June 20, 2010 at 7:55 am

I woke up unusually early at 530 this morning. I’m hoping I’m not pregnant? Haha

Heather Eats Almond Butter June 20, 2010 at 9:48 am

Evan, Haha – I hope so too.

Josie June 20, 2010 at 8:03 am

read your twitter, and when i saw it said pancakes were back, i was like, YES!!!!!!!

healthulous June 20, 2010 at 8:09 am

Hey, Heather! I’m a longtime reader of this site, your journey is so amazing! I just started my own blog, hope it can measure up to yours some day :-)

Little Bookworm June 20, 2010 at 8:20 am

Thank you for the comment on my blog! :) Hope you have a great day!

eatwellbewelllivewell June 20, 2010 at 8:26 am

welcome back pancake sunday :) Looks good, hope you enjoyed it!

Annie June 20, 2010 at 8:46 am

Hi Heather! Long time reader, first time commenter. I enjoy your blog so much, it’s my favorite. And I think you are beautiful :) .

Also, if you have any fudge babies left, I HIGHLY recommend you put them on or in your oatmeal :) . Especially since they’re cookie dough fudge babies, if you add them to oatmeal, it’s like eating chocolate chip cookie dough for breakfast! :) :)
What could be better?

Heather Eats Almond Butter June 20, 2010 at 9:50 am

Annie, Um yeah, I don’t think oatmeal could get much better. Unfortunately, a certain someone finished off the fudge babies. His name begins with a “C” and ends with a “D”. Looks like I’ll just have to make another batch. :)

Thanks so much for reading HEAB and for your kind words. Hope you enjoy the rest of your day!

Lindsey F. June 20, 2010 at 9:02 am

You’re absolutely glowing! :)

Kelly June 20, 2010 at 9:18 am

What a great picture of you and your Dad! I love it! :)

saltytooth June 20, 2010 at 9:34 am

Goat cheese pancakes sound like a great return of pancake Sunday!

homecookedem June 20, 2010 at 9:57 am

WOW!! You sure have gotten a lot done!! Happy Father’s Day to your daddy!! :)

SoloSzabi June 20, 2010 at 10:11 am

Hey Heather!

Back to your goat cheese and jam omelet…. :)

This is your “fault’! :D

Meg June 20, 2010 at 10:18 am

Protein ice cream OR a savory breakfast – either way works ;) Sorry you woke up so early, but hey, getting a lot done before the day even breaks is awesome! Happy Father’s day, enjoy your family today, Heather – and make sure the Dad-to-be enjoys it too ;)

Meg

p.s. totally holding you to your promise of making me ice cream ;) haha

Heather Eats Almond Butter June 20, 2010 at 4:03 pm

Meg, You better! :)

Mara @ What's For Dinner? June 20, 2010 at 10:31 am

My mom always said that those super early morning wake up calls are just practice for when the baby is born… I think you should start waking CD up when you get up too, just for “practice” :)

I’m going to have to try that stroganoff recipe, I’m such a huge fan and never make it! Love you!

Heather Eats Almond Butter June 20, 2010 at 4:15 pm

Love you too Mara, and I’ll email the stroganoff recipe. Haha, yeah right…CD waking up at 3 AM. Hahahaha…but he will be soon. ;)

Katherine: What About Summer? June 20, 2010 at 10:48 am

waffles that are ironed flat- sans waffle iron. great picture of you with papa bear. this time next year, you’ll be giving CD accolades. thanks for your email too!
Katherine

Averie (LoveVeggiesAndYoga) June 20, 2010 at 11:00 am

Love the pic of you and your dad….so lovely :)
xo

dorrybird June 20, 2010 at 11:16 am

Happy Father’s Day to CD, too! :)

Heather Eats Almond Butter June 20, 2010 at 4:13 pm

Aww, thanks Dorrybird. I gave CD a father-to-be card this morning. So cute. He’s going to make the best dad!

Kate simpson June 20, 2010 at 1:06 pm

Sorry to be so out there, but I’ve only just started reading your blog, and I was piecing up some clues from previous blogs… and I had to ask… are you pregnant?
Please don’t be offended if you’re not, and please don’t be offended if you are, that I was so rude to ask :\

Heather Eats Almond Butter June 20, 2010 at 4:13 pm

Kate, Haha – did all the chocolate cravings give me away. ;) Yes, I’m about 19 weeks pregnant, and honestly, the way I eat has changed tremendously over the last few months. I usually stick to a high fat diet, lower in carbs and protein, but these days, I’m just rolling with what my body truly wants. I’m also low in the iron dept. and trying to eat more red meat, hence all the chocolate, cereal, and steak happening these days. :)

Jenn (Jenn's Menu and Lifestyle Blog) June 20, 2010 at 1:07 pm

Wow, those pancakes and leftover beef stroganoff look amazing! YUM

Jenn

Nicole June 20, 2010 at 1:08 pm

Hooray for the return of pancake Sunday!
Now let me ask you–are you vacuuming before 6 a.m.? Does CD mind this?? lol

Heather Eats Almond Butter June 20, 2010 at 4:09 pm

Nicole, Oh gosh yes, CD would definitely mind as once he wakes up, he usually can’t go back to sleep. I stuck to emailing and car washing until he was up. The vacuuming didn’t happen until about 6:30 AM. :)

Laura June 20, 2010 at 2:02 pm

I have really bad insomnia so i’m often awake at 4am and that’s me for the morning, annoying when i only doze off around 12 or later! 4 hours is actually a record for me! i bet your neighbours thanked you vacumming at 3am, haha! those pancakes also look scrumptious xx

Heather Eats Almond Butter June 20, 2010 at 4:08 pm

Laura, I waited to vacuum until CD awoke this morning around 6:30 AM. However, I think any neighbor who saw me washing my car at 4:30 AM probably thinks I’m totally nuts! ;)

Caroline June 20, 2010 at 2:47 pm

Hey Heather, You probably don’t know who I am because I have been a lurker for soo long but I love the idea of goat cheese pancakes….I love making pancakes savory (because then they pair so well with omelettes!) and recently made some pancakes with smoked cheddar and broccoli. MMM. Oh, and I’m really sorry you’ve been woken up so early during your pregnancy. I don’t like waking up early because I feel like I have nothing to do as the rest of my family wakes up later. Do you eat breakfast when you wake up or wait until your husband wakes up? Have a good day!

Heather Eats Almond Butter June 20, 2010 at 4:06 pm

Caroline, Glad you delurked, and yes, savory pancakes are the best, agreed! :) Chris is a super sensitive sleeper, and so I usually try and wait until he gets up before I start banging pots and pans around in the kitchen. However, if I’m super hungry, I’ll just eat something quiet…like cereal. :)

Mary @ Bites and Bliss June 20, 2010 at 2:54 pm

Wow you were busy this morning! I wouldnt know what to do with myself in that situation either..but hey, it’s better than not having time to get anything done! :)

Stacie @ Imperfectly Healthy June 20, 2010 at 3:06 pm

Awww! I love that picture of you and your dad – very sweet!

eatmovelove June 20, 2010 at 3:56 pm

That last picture is gorgeous. And those ‘shrooms look delish. Wow your more productive by 8 a.m than most people are in a week! Maybe it’ll change in the next trimester? ;) …but sleep will be all over the place when he/she is born anyways – so preparation!

Gabriela @ Fro-Yo Lover June 20, 2010 at 4:06 pm

Awww – loved that pic with your Dad :)
Wish you a lovely week, Heather!
Brazilian XOXO┬┤s,
Gabriela

Sarena (The Non-Dairy Queen) June 20, 2010 at 5:25 pm

Dang woman…you are making me look bad! I keep waking up at five and then laying there trying to go back to sleep. I hope you enjoyed your time with your family today!

Heather Eats Almond Butter June 20, 2010 at 5:52 pm

Sarena, Believe me, I tried to go back to sleep. After a while, I finally just gave up. Hope you guys had a good day today as well. Did you make bacon? ;)

glutenfreemuse June 20, 2010 at 7:30 pm

GET OUT OF TOWN!!! I thought I was so ingenious with MY goat cheese pancakes this morning!! How crazy is that! Mine however were sweet, and I made them with a fig goat cheese. I will post my recipe on my blog later…can’t believe it! Hope you enjoyed your Father’s Day!

Heather Eats Almond Butter June 21, 2010 at 7:46 am

Glutenfreemuse, Great minds think alike, no? ;) Fig goat cheese pancakes sound amazing.

Melissa @ For the Love of Health June 20, 2010 at 7:46 pm

3am ? Yikes! Do you hit a wall later in the day! I am generally a terrible sleeper and when I wake up in the middle of the night (often several times) I usually just lay there. Perhaps I should get up like you. However, I know I would hit some major walls throughout the day!
Nice, hearty breakfast!!

Heather Eats Almond Butter June 21, 2010 at 7:48 am

Melissa, Hit a huge wall around 3 PM, and I took a 2 hour nap, and then slept like a baby last night. :)

Katie June 20, 2010 at 8:57 pm

Savory pancakes are so much better than sweet in my opinion. I’m checking out that recipe!

idreamoftahini June 20, 2010 at 9:19 pm

3 am- yuck!

Glad you got to spend the day with your dad. I actually got to spend a few days with my dad last week for my daughter’s graduation and then I got to spend the weekend with my step dad in Lancaster Pa. We had a great time!!

yogiclarebear June 20, 2010 at 9:48 pm

happy father’s day CD!

rawkinrobin June 20, 2010 at 11:01 pm

Happy Father’s Day! You look great and the pic with your Dad is adorable :)

Jackie (Peaces of Earth) June 20, 2010 at 11:24 pm

Wow, I wish I could get up at 4 am!! I would be much more productive. :)

Maren June 20, 2010 at 11:42 pm

I just love food that looks all roughed up yet tastes amazing! Your pancakes look yummy!

Annie D. @ Annie's Simple Life June 21, 2010 at 4:44 am

I made pancakes on Sunday, too!!! Though, we had fruit with hours, not beef (hehehe!)

Allie (Protein Girl) June 21, 2010 at 7:07 am

Ooooh, I just had an idea. What about a goat cheese and fresh fig pancake? Maybe topped with toasted pine nuts? Ooooooooh.

Heather Eats Almond Butter June 21, 2010 at 7:46 am

Allie, Another commenter made that combo – sounds so good!!!

Lele June 21, 2010 at 8:34 am

Ohhhhhhh my Goddddddddddd goat cheese pancakes with stroganoff?! You are such a genius!
Sorry about the early wakeup call :( Guess the baby will be an early bird!

Scott in Ohio June 22, 2010 at 11:13 am

Very cool to hear about the HEAB-let kicking!

Fun news, indeed!