Make This!

by HEAB on June 21, 2010

In my quest for new omelet fillings, Michelle suggested a banana Nutella omelet, which immediately took me back to Paris where I had my first Nutella and banana crepe. I couldn’t wait to try a similar combo in omelet form!

Before cooking my eggs, I whipped 2 egg whites with my hand mixer and then blended in 1 whole egg and a few drops of vanilla. I was hoping that whipping the eggs first would give my omelet more of a crepe-like texture, and it did. I let my cast iron skillet warm up while I mixed my eggs and then once it was hot, I added a bit of ghee and poured in my egg mixture. I added 1 thinly sliced banana and allowed the eggs to cook until they were no longer runny. I then spooned 2 TBSP of Dark Chocolate Dreams Peanut Butter to the center and flipped one side of the omelet over with a metal spatula. After about another minute or so, I loaded my banana chocolate peanut butter omelet onto my plate, sprinkled it with a little cinnamon, and went to town!

This morning has been a bit rough, but my chocolate breakfast made it all better. ;)

Another sweet omelet success – Thanks Michelle. :)

Do you remember your first crepe experience? Sweet or savory?

Chocolate-Covered Katie June 21, 2010 at 8:09 am

LOL sometimes the strangest looking (and sounding) things turn out to be the best.

P.S. I’m sending you an email, so let me know if you don’t get it today. :)

Chocolate-Covered Katie June 21, 2010 at 8:09 am

Oh, and chocolate ALWAYS makes everything better :) .

Beth June 21, 2010 at 8:12 am

Heaven. That looks sooo good. I love the idea of whipping up the eggs first to get them fluffy and crepe like. yum!

Little Bookworm June 21, 2010 at 8:13 am

The omlette looks great, and I agree with Katie, chocolate ALWAYS makes everything better. :)

Evan Thomas June 21, 2010 at 8:14 am

My first and only crepe was in Paris–banana and nutella–delicious!

Heather (Perspective Is Everything) June 21, 2010 at 8:16 am

you are truly making me miss eggs :(
that looks….AH-MAY-ZING.

Jessica @ How Sweet June 21, 2010 at 8:20 am

Mine has only ever been sweet, and I love them sweet!

thedelicateplace June 21, 2010 at 8:21 am

a sweet experience in paris! street crepe with grand marnier and sugar. simple and a hint of sweet orange so delish! i think i’ll make this sans banana. looks divine!

Marilou @ Mostly Healthy June 21, 2010 at 8:21 am

This is a typical breakfast dish in breafast style restaurant! But it’s always too much. This seems lovely :)

Heather June 21, 2010 at 8:22 am

oh.my.gosh. i need that now! chocolate PB is my favorite sweet combo :)

Marla (Family Fresh Cooking) June 21, 2010 at 8:23 am

Funny, I did something very similar this morning. Divine isn’t it! Glad to hear it brightened your day! xo

Heather Eats Almond Butter June 21, 2010 at 8:26 am

Marla, Divine…yes, very appropriate adjective for this morning’s breakfast. ;)

Lindsay June 21, 2010 at 8:23 am

Wow. That sounds amazing. My first crepe experience was a nutella and banana crepe from Paris as well. I have many fond memories of those babies. Mmmmm….they sure know their crepes in Paris.

Sarah June 21, 2010 at 8:24 am

At first glance, a banana chocolate peanut butter omelet seemed strange to me. But at second glance? It actually sounds really good!

MelissaNibbles June 21, 2010 at 8:26 am

How can I not make that?!

Becki June 21, 2010 at 8:30 am

My first crepe was at the Farmers’ Market in LA – melted butter pooling around the sweet strawberries and powdered sugar liberally shaken over the top. Since then, I’ve only tried 1 different crepe, and I always go back to my Crepe Versailles!

Tes June 21, 2010 at 8:36 am

It looks incredible. I have never thought these simple ingredients could work so magically. I’m definitely gonna try this.

Megan @ The Oatmeal Diaries June 21, 2010 at 8:37 am

Just the photo alone made my morning so I can’t imagine how actually eating it was! Hope your day improves! :)

Marina June 21, 2010 at 8:37 am

crepes are really often eaten in my country, so I grew up on them. Actually, I think they were my favorite food.
But I remember that crepe in Paris, with nutella and banana…it tasted so good on a cold new year’s eve.
Now I’m craving a hot chocolaty crepe :(

jqlee June 21, 2010 at 8:38 am

I don’t think I’ve ever had “real” crepes before but I did make some once with egg whites and banana and nutella. Kind of like what you have! Mmmm :)

Laura June 21, 2010 at 8:41 am

wow, that is an omelette combo i would NEVER have thought to try! i normally stick to the usual cheese version! sounds, and looks delicious!! i may give it a go but i don’t think i could make it look as pretty as you have!!! xx

Heather Eats Almond Butter June 21, 2010 at 8:45 am

Laura, I bet you could. Try it! :)

Jenny June 21, 2010 at 8:52 am

Upon first glance I actually thought that omelet was a calzone. That is major skill, miss Heather!

Heather Eats Almond Butter June 21, 2010 at 8:58 am

Jenny, Haha – my first successful calzone! ;)

Samantha Angela @ Bikini Birthday June 21, 2010 at 8:56 am

That looks to die for!

Heather @ Get Healthy With Heather June 21, 2010 at 8:57 am

There’s this little crepe shop near my house that makes awesome banana nutella crepes… Mmmm you can never go wrong with that combo. Nutella always reminds me of the time I lived in Holland. That was where I first tried that delicious spread.

Miranda @ Mirandasjeans June 21, 2010 at 8:59 am

YummmO! Wow keep those creations comin!

Katie June 21, 2010 at 9:02 am

My first crepe was in Paris too! It was straight up Nutella….drool.

I like the savory ones though too. There is a restaurant called Crepes and Waffles in Panama and in Columbia. You would love it -sweet and savory crepes and waffles of all kinds. It is hard to choose. I have dreams of opening a similar restaurant in the states.

Shannon @ Before Sunrise June 21, 2010 at 9:02 am

That looks absolutely phenomenal!! Will have to try it out :)

DiningAndDishing June 21, 2010 at 9:09 am

That is an amazing idea! Must try this :) . My first crepe was definitely a chocolate crepe in France. Although savory crepes are also good, I feel you can’t beat that classic!

VeggieGirl June 21, 2010 at 9:19 am

My first crepe experience was obviously sweet – come on, you know me and my sweet tooth! :-D

Sarena (The Non-Dairy Queen) June 21, 2010 at 9:19 am

Do I have to choose? I like them both! Aw…Paris…I want to go back NOW! I actually don’t remember the first crepe I had, but the sweet ones always seem to stand out in my mind. You can never go wrong with banana and chocolate! YUM!

sweetersalt June 21, 2010 at 9:29 am

My first crepe experience was nutella and banana as well, so good! This egg substitution idea sounds interesting, perhaps I’ll have to give it a try?

I’m new to the blogosphere so just wanted to stop in and say hello!

Heather Eats Almond Butter June 21, 2010 at 12:24 pm

Sweetersalt, Hi. :)

kathleen June 21, 2010 at 9:33 am

My first crepe in Paris as a child had nutella on it. These days I like mushrooms, tomato, basil and asparagus.

Josie June 21, 2010 at 9:44 am

my first crepe experience was in high school french class. it was sweet and out of this world!!!

Danielle (Runs on Green) June 21, 2010 at 9:48 am

Bananas and chocolate…how can you go wrong?!

I’m sorry about the rough morning. If you have the chance, you should spend a little time in the sun. There’s some magical power in sunshine that makes everything better :)

Heather Eats Almond Butter June 21, 2010 at 12:31 pm

Danielle, I agree and will try and get some sun in later today. Definitely very healing. :)

A Teenage Gourmet June 21, 2010 at 10:06 am

I had a sauteed banana & PB sandwich for breakfast and it was honestly the best thing I’ve eaten in a while! I was so surprised at the deliciousness. Your version sounds just as good. :D And as for the crepe, my first was home-made and savory – ham & gruyere.

lindsay June 21, 2010 at 10:08 am

wow, this just might have to be our dinner tonight. The hubs will be in heaven with this meal!

maxinthegym June 21, 2010 at 10:23 am

Oh gosh that is just like a little slice of heaven on a plate! I really do need to give these sweet omelets a try ASAP! hahha

Jennifer@ knackfornutrition.blogspot.com June 21, 2010 at 10:25 am

Ah! I was in Paris 2 weekends ago and I had my first Nutella crepe!! It was an experience!! Honestly one of the most drool-worthy (if that is a word) foods I have ever eaten! Your omelet looks pretty epic too though! I may just have to re-create that when I get back to the states because I am going to seriously miss the Nutella fix France has provided. :)

Kristin June 21, 2010 at 10:41 am

Your omelet looks very unomelet. Which I think is good for a sweet omelet. That sprinkle of cinnamon is genius.

My first crepe was a savory one from somewhere in Montparnasse. It had fried egg, ham, nushrooms and cheese. It was divine. It was the very first thing that we ate after traveling all day and checking into our hotel.

My favorite crepe was the one I ate right before going to the Eiffel tower. Just nutella and powdered sugar. I had a cappuccino with it. I think about that breakfast and that morning at least once a week.

carrie @ gingerlemongirl.com June 21, 2010 at 10:44 am

I think the first crepes I ever had were savory and were filled with like a “chicken pot pie” filling… which sounds strange and they definitely were not GF so I couldn’t eat them now, but they sure still sound good! lol…

I love your banana nutella omelet. We had omelets yesterday and I thought of you. Wish I had another one today!!

Heather Eats Almond Butter June 21, 2010 at 12:29 pm

Carrie, Nothing wrong with omelets for dinner. ;)

Averie (LoveVeggiesAndYoga) June 21, 2010 at 10:49 am

omg that looks so good..the choc is just gooey and warm…decadent!

Crepes…2 days ago I posted about my own recipe for homemade mary’s crackers. After 7 hrs in the dehyd I had what I noted on the blog was a “seedy crepe”. So I said screw it and finished them off in the oven. Perfect!

Sarah (from See Sarah Eat) June 21, 2010 at 10:55 am

I’ve never had a crepe! There was a crepe place in a hotel we visited in Vegas on our honeymoon and I still regret not going in there ;-)

Felicia June 21, 2010 at 11:06 am

holyyy motherrrrrrrrrr that looks good!

christina June 21, 2010 at 11:07 am

this looks amazing. i just made ricotta pancakes and whipped the whites first. it really works!

kelsey@snackingsquirrel.com June 21, 2010 at 11:11 am

awe im glad the breakfast made ur morning much better- im sorry it started off pretty rotten tho! i always say that chocolate is a pancea, a remedy for any ailment ;)

xoxo <3

Natalie S. June 21, 2010 at 11:12 am

Here in Austin we have an extraordinary crepe trailer called Flip Happy Crepes (it was even featured on that Bobby Flay show where he battles all the restaurant owners). It. Is. Delicious. I think you would really love it, given your love of goat cheese — one of their specialties is a goat cheese/caramelized onions/mushroom crepe. It is to die for. If you ever visit Austin, that should be the first place you go :)

Heather Eats Almond Butter June 21, 2010 at 12:28 pm

Natalie, Yes, I know I would love Flip Happy Crepes. It’s now on my Austin list – such a cool city! Last time I was there, I ate at the Hula Hut. So fun. :)

hayleycepeda June 21, 2010 at 11:14 am

SO YUM!! This comes at an appropriate time for me – I just returned from Costco with 2 ginormous jars of Nutella. :)

Ozlem June 21, 2010 at 11:19 am

your readers are way too creative for me but I will give you a fav. of mine. I am not as creative as you all.. But i love the mixture of one packet or less of nustevia mixed with whipped cottage cheese topped with plain puffins and lots and lot of berries. Yummy!!take care!

Heather Eats Almond Butter June 21, 2010 at 12:27 pm

Ozlen, Yum! One of my favorite breakfasts/late night snacks used to be cottage cheese mixed with whey protein and topped with cereal. I miss that combo!

Mama Pea June 21, 2010 at 11:22 am

I’m cursing not eating eggs for a just a moment here. Holy $#* that looks good.

Daniela June 21, 2010 at 12:03 pm

OK you’ll think I’m nutz but it was savory: avocado with soy sauce. I was visiting my aunt in Paris and she cooked me up one in her small kitchen. It was one of the best things I’d ever had (next to the lox and squash quiche she made next!)

Heather Eats Almond Butter June 21, 2010 at 12:25 pm

Daniela, Not nutz at all – I love a good savory crepe! :)

Jenna June 21, 2010 at 12:18 pm

I’ve only had crepes once in my life… this needs to change, especially after seeing your breakfast. I hope your day is looking up!

Elaine @ Om Sweet Om June 21, 2010 at 12:21 pm

Yum! I remember my first crepe experience in France all too well! Ooey Gooey Nutella with perfectly ripe bananas, wrapped in warm, soft yet chewy crepe. Oh my…

Must make this sometimes!

Anna @ Newlywed, Newly Veg June 21, 2010 at 12:27 pm

Oh my gosh…that first picture. Swoon.

As a matter of fact, I had a nutella crepe yesterday for brunch! Ha!

missyrayn June 21, 2010 at 12:43 pm

First crepes made by a french man in Germany were banana and nutella. They are still my favorite. I can’t get used to the savory kind yet.

Kendall June 21, 2010 at 1:42 pm

That looks great! Have you tried the new Justins chocolate hazlenut butter? It tastes just like Nutella only sans the hydrogenated oil etc, less sugar etc. They come in those little squeeze packs but I only found them once and can’t seem to find them anywhere since. :(

Last time I had a crepe, my bf and I each got our own savory one and then we split a desert one (we were ravenous), which cooked apples, swiss cheese and maple syrup. It was very interesting but very good. I think other cheeses like gouda would have been nice too. I sometimes think that a crepe maker would be a really fun kitchen appliance to own… :)

Heather Eats Almond Butter June 21, 2010 at 3:24 pm

Kendall, No, I have not tried the new Justin’s chocolate hazelnut butter, but I’ll look for it. Sometimes I can find his products, and other times, my Whole Foods doesn’t stock them. It’s weird.

Mary @ Bites and Bliss June 21, 2010 at 1:59 pm

ohhhh my goodness. That looks like banana and chocolate heaven. My first crepe experience was in French class and it was strawberry and ice cream. I havent tried a savory crepe yet…

glutenfreemuse June 21, 2010 at 2:28 pm

You are seriously making me miss that peanut butter! I am afraid of what I will do if I buy it though (i.e. eat it all in one sitting)!! :-)

Heather Eats Almond Butter June 21, 2010 at 3:25 pm

Glutenfreemuse, A tip for you – stick the whole jar in the freezer. That way, you can only scrape out a little bit at a time, and the dark chocolate PB is wonderful frozen!

Kittie June 21, 2010 at 3:01 pm

The first time I had crepes was in my high school French class! Crepe day was everyone’s favorite. My friends and I love going to this little French bakery in town for crepe brunches!

SoloSzabi June 21, 2010 at 3:39 pm

Omelet mania! :)
I am just wondering now… omelet with apple, raisin and cinnamon… or omelet with your butternut squash fudge…
Anyway I am still on the goat cheese – jam version.

Heather Eats Almond Butter June 21, 2010 at 7:30 pm

SoloSzabi, I am liking the apple, raisin, and cinnamon idea. Like an apple pie omelet!

Jamie June 21, 2010 at 3:43 pm

Oh My Goodness… those look to die for! I LOVE dark chocolate dreams pb. Yum Yum Yum! I’ll have to make up some of these this weekend!

Katherine: What About Summer? June 21, 2010 at 4:08 pm

the bananas look like melted white chocolate chips! (to me atleast!) do you have any recipes for protein bars? I know you went on a kick for protein things a while back; thank you

Heather Eats Almond Butter June 21, 2010 at 7:34 pm

Katherine, I’ve never really made my own protein bars, but April has several great protein recipes listed here: http://foodsofapril.com/?page_id=4445. Hope that helps!

Kellie June 21, 2010 at 4:20 pm

I always try to make my pancakes thin and crepe like. I love crepes.

Emilia June 21, 2010 at 6:17 pm

OHMY goodness– That sweet omelet looks DELISH!!!!!!!! Who would’ve thought of such of thing…. you, of course :) Haha, I’m just kidding (I’m really not!). I’ve heard of nutella crepes like you were saying, but never thought of making one my self. Never though i was that skilled to do it, you make it look so easy! Thanks girl! I’m SOOOO trying it tomorrow morning. I LOVE anything and everything with nut butter… i go through jars in a week…. c-a-ra-zeee!!!!!

Question: What do you use for non- stick on your pans before you put the eggs on? Butter? Pam? Oil? That one always get’s me. Do share :)

Heather Eats Almond Butter June 21, 2010 at 7:31 pm

Emilia, I usually use ghee (clarified butter) or coconut oil – about a tsp of either. Hope you enjoy your sweet omelet tomorrow! :)

Kristin (Cook, Bake and Nibble) June 21, 2010 at 6:41 pm

It was a sweet crepe for me- nutella and banana, in fact! Deeelicious!

xo
Kris

Dee June 21, 2010 at 6:46 pm

OMG, this looks great!

Sagan June 21, 2010 at 6:52 pm

Wow that sounds amazing!

I have never had a good crepe-making experience. I have yet to master the art of crepes. I’ll stick with pancakes- much easier to flip :D

Pure2Raw Twins June 21, 2010 at 7:05 pm

Wow looks great! My BF would love this. He fell in love with nutella banana crepes while he was in Paris a few months ago :)

Caroline June 21, 2010 at 7:57 pm

Oh Heather, how tantalizing that looks. You just plopped on the PB and it spread evenly? I bet it was an extremely satisfying breakfast…I would happily eat it for dessert too!

Heather Eats Almond Butter June 21, 2010 at 7:59 pm

Caroline, Yep, I just plopped it right in the middle, and after letting it cook for another minute or so, the PB melted and filled the whole omelet. Delicious!

The Fit Collegiate June 21, 2010 at 8:03 pm

Wow. That does look divine. Anything chocolatey and bananey sounds great to me!

Nellie June 21, 2010 at 8:22 pm

I MUST make this!!! I lived in France for a while…and don’t remember my first crepe experience…there were just too many sweet AND savory!

rawkinrobin June 21, 2010 at 10:22 pm

I love Nutella! Nutella and Peanut Butter Sandwiches with slices of banana used to be a staple in my diet haha…so good.

Gena June 22, 2010 at 4:51 am

Raw crepes have been on my “must make” list for a year. Come July, it’ll happen! Your pancakes look marvelous, Mama.

Vicky June 22, 2010 at 4:57 am

that looks so absolutely delicious! My first crepe was in this tiny town in northern Germany called Flensburg. Topped with sugar and cinnamon. Still one of the most delicious crepes I have ever had, although nowadays I am a fan of nutella too :) I hope you have a good rest of the week! – Vicky (www.vdubb.wordpress.com)

eugenie June 22, 2010 at 6:31 am

I read in one of your comments that you used to eat whey protein, but you say you are allergic to it now. If it’s not too personal…how did you figure out you are allergic? I ask because it’s something I haven’t really consumed in the past, but started to recently, and now I’m noticing a small, bumpy rash on both arms. Curious if you experienced anything like this! I bought some Jay Robb Chocolate Rice Protein. It might take some getting used to. Maybe it’s better in your protein ice cream recipe. I only mixed it with some non-dairy milk to sample the flavor. Going to eat some frozen spinach/feta crepes I coincidentally bought yesterday. I grew up eating ones my dad made with strawberries and whipped cream. I had one with Nutella in Paris in my 20s. I think that was also the first time I tried Nutella, so…quite an experience !! :) That chocolate pb is one of my addictions…so is the White Chocolate Wonderful flavor. Sooo good with raspberry jam. Just tried this in chocolate flavor recently… http://threesisterscereal.com/instant-oatmeal/ P.S. if you like bananas and chocolate, I have a little recipe suggestion. Sometimes I take a frozen banana and a bit of cocoa and stick it in a food processor. It blends into something very creamy and ice cream-like, but so much more healthy. I bet it would be equally good with the chocolate protein powder. yumm. I guess it would be a bit more caloric than your recipe, though!

Heather Eats Almond Butter June 22, 2010 at 7:00 am

Eugenie, You can read about my decision to give up dairy in this post: http://heathereatsalmondbutter.com/2009/04/15/youre-going-to-give-up-greek-yogurt/. I seem to do fine with dairy products high in fat and low in dairy proteins like cream and butter, but I try and avoid yogurt, cottage cheese, and milk, which are all high in whey and casein. Goat dairy products don’t seem to bother me either – thank goodness b/c I love cheese! Your rash sounds like it could definitely be dairy related, and I encourage you to really be observant about which foods you ate before getting the rash and write them down.

The rice protein definitely took some getting used to – it seemed so chalky at first but now I love it. It’s much better in ice-cream or oats than straight up in a smoothie. So, perhaps try some other ways of using it before giving up on it.

I love making banana ice-cream in my food processor – you’re right. So good! :)

Annie D. @ Annie's Simple Life June 22, 2010 at 8:47 am

That looks soooo good.

wendy @ ABCs and Garden Peas June 23, 2010 at 7:46 am

Crepes always take me back to when I was little–about 10–and I’d make them for my parents. I liked to whip up some heavy cream and served them with sliced strawberries. I thought I was such a little gourmet!

Love Nutella! I stuffed my wedding cake with it!

My first baby kick REALLY weirded me out, but then I loved it. Especially when they turned into full body rolls, and when I could feel the shape of a foot. It’s a pretty fascinating thing, isn’t it?

Heather Eats Almond Butter June 23, 2010 at 8:17 am

Wendy, You were quite the little gourmet – a 10 year old making crepes? I love it! Oh, and I would have loved to have tried your wedding cake!!!

I cannot wait until Chris can see and feel the baby kicking. So crazy!