Microwave Convert

by HEAB on June 22, 2010

This morning I woke up super sore from my 90-minute vinyasa class yesterday and decided to take the pups on a walk to loosen up my quads and hamstrings. It is so hot outside, and after a 40 minute walk, I had worked up quite an appetite. My cravings are all over the place these days, and I couldn’t decide what I wanted. I felt like I needed some protein, but I was also really craving something sweet…so I had both.

I melted one slice of goat cheese over some chicken breast strips, and then for my sweet, I tried something new: April’s Protein Cake. April, you’ve done it…I’m now a fan of the microwave, an appliance I’ve avoided using for years.

Oh my goodness, April’s recipe could not be more simple! I used Jay Robb’s chocolate rice protein powder and Trader Joe’s chunky spiced apples instead of the pumpkin. Here was my cake after microwaving…

After cooking, I simply popped it out of the mug with a knife, cut it in half, and smothered it in Dark Chocolate Dreams Peanut Butter. Loved loved LOVED it April! Every few bites, I would get a little apple chunk, and although I was a bit weary of the texture at first, it was like eating a light chocolate muffin. I see many more of these little cakes in my future!

Is it a 1,000 degrees where you live? Oh Colorado, I miss you!!!

PS – I started feeling the baby kick this week. :)

Tes June 22, 2010 at 8:42 am

No need to go for a walk! When I see the pictures from your site, I’m ready to eat!

Heather Eats Almond Butter June 22, 2010 at 8:44 am

Tes, I’m always up for a walk! :)

Kellie June 22, 2010 at 8:42 am

WootWoot! about the baby kicking! isn’t that the greatest little fluttery feeling! My youngest is 13, so it’s been a while, but I still remember how reassuring those little flutters were to me.
I’ll have to try that “cake”… sounds yum. Today I had “sweet” eggs for the first time every… filled an omelet with bananas and strawberries with a drizzle of sugar free maple. great idea!

Heather (Perspective Is Everything) June 22, 2010 at 8:49 am

Been doing this alot lately :D
(maybe a little too much)! LOL!
congrats on feeling the Heablet kick!!!!!!!! how cool!
And yes, I miss Co, too :(

Marina June 22, 2010 at 8:56 am

I love making cakes and muffins in the microwave :) So fast and simple!
Today i made myself some kind of a pizza in it :) )
congratulations on the first kick! it must be a great feeling!

Kelly June 22, 2010 at 9:03 am

Oh my goodness…yay for feeling the baby kick! Are you and CD going to find out the gender?

Heather Eats Almond Butter June 22, 2010 at 9:51 am

Kelly, Yes, we find out on July 1. Can’t wait! :)

Jessica @ How Sweet June 22, 2010 at 9:26 am

I love protein cakes! I think that BSN Lean Dessert makes the best protein for them. I used to eat 1-2 a day while training for shows.

I also love Aprils protein cookie dough!

Shelby June 22, 2010 at 9:29 am

Colorado misses you, too! It’s pretty hot here in the big CO lately though. It got up to about 98 yesterday. But it’s nothing in comparison to hot AND humid…I’ll take Colorado weather any day. Tell that babe to stop kickin’ ya :)

jqlee June 22, 2010 at 9:30 am

ahhh baby kicks!! thats so cute.

Sarah R June 22, 2010 at 9:30 am

Yay for the baby kicks! That just put the biggest smile on my face this morning. It’s hot and oppressively humid here. Heat indexes are expected to get to 105-110 today. Ick!

Samantha Angela @ Bikini Birthday June 22, 2010 at 9:32 am

Does it hurt when the baby kicks??

I mean, it’s a small person. Kicking you in the gut. From the inside.

Sounds painful.

Heather Eats Almond Butter June 22, 2010 at 9:54 am

Samantha, No, it doesn’t hurt at all – just feels like little bubbles inside my belly. :) However, I hear as I get farther along, the kicking can get a lot stronger and uncomfortable. Love feeling it now, but not sure if I’ll feel that way in about 4 months. ;)

Carbzilla June 22, 2010 at 9:32 am

Soooo exciting about the baby kicking!!!! I made the protein cake from Janetha’s blog and I was missing the applesauce. It turned out exactly like a loofah – horrific. I do have applesauce now so I’ll have to try it again.

operagirlcooks June 22, 2010 at 9:32 am

Hehehe, it’s so funny to see you using the microwave these days! I am housesitting, and didn’t want to dirty any pans last night as it’s my last one here, so I actually microwaved my whole dinner — green beans, potatoes, and warmed up leftover steak. Still don’t know how I feel about that one . . .

A Teenage Gourmet June 22, 2010 at 9:43 am

It’s 99 degrees here in KY. I have swim practice at 9 am and I’m sweating in the pool!

Marilou @ Mostly Healthy June 22, 2010 at 9:43 am

The feeling of the baby kicking must be unbelievable :)

Morgan June 22, 2010 at 9:46 am

yay for feeling the kicks! it’s the most amazing feeling, and so sporadic! isn’t it incredible to think what your body is capable of?

Heather Eats Almond Butter June 22, 2010 at 9:52 am

Morgan, It’s wild! So weird to feel the HEABlet moving around inside me – I love it. :)

Heather June 22, 2010 at 9:48 am

oh my gosh! i was just thinking the other day that i can’t wait to be pregnant and feel the baby kick for the first time…i kinda teared up when i read that on here :)

Sarah June 22, 2010 at 9:49 am

I’m so excited that you were able to feel the baby kick!

Becki June 22, 2010 at 9:53 am

SoCal is surprisingly cool lately. I’m not looking forward to the hundred degree days coming up. Oy vey!

mapledreams June 22, 2010 at 9:55 am

WOW i bet it was an amazing feeling (if not a bit sore) feeling the baby kick! bet ya it became all the more real!

and that cake really does look lovely..almost like a choco scone! xx

april June 22, 2010 at 9:59 am

Ahh I’m so glad you liked the protein cakes!! I can’t wait to see how you perfect them :D

Heather Eats Almond Butter June 22, 2010 at 10:03 am

April, Your cakes need nothing more. They’re already perfect! :)

maggie June 22, 2010 at 10:01 am

So adorable about the baby :) Lovely eats as always Heather :)

Maggie

mybreakfastblog.com

Katie June 22, 2010 at 10:02 am

I may have to go make that protein cake right now.

Oh, and I’m in CO and it’s perfect. :-) Not to rub it in of course, but just letting you know it’s still the same splendid summer weather. You and your kicking HEABlet should come back and enjoy the weather!

Heather Eats Almond Butter June 22, 2010 at 10:04 am

Katie, I so wish we could, but I can’t fly to altitude from sea level. :(

Sarena (The Non-Dairy Queen) June 22, 2010 at 10:04 am

Yum! You know I love sneaking in protein through my treats! Looks delicious. I have to admit, I do use the microwave quite a bit though. There are just too many of us with too many random eats running around. Yeah, it is hotter than the hubs of you know where here too! Try to stay cool! I love it…little heablitt is making it know he/she is liking all those yummy eats!

Heather June 22, 2010 at 10:37 am

Eh. Manitou Springs has been rather oven-like lately as well. :( Not too bad — high 80s, low 90s, but a bit too warm for comfort for sure! Luckily the higher up the mountain you go, the cooler it gets. It’s amazing what a fifteen minute 1000 foot incline can do. :)

gina guerra June 22, 2010 at 10:38 am

ahh that is so exciting about the Heablet! he/or she is finally able to thank you for all of the delicious eats! :)

Josie June 22, 2010 at 10:39 am

i’m in tn, too…and it couldn’t be more miserable outside!
yay for a kickin’ baby!!!

Erica June 22, 2010 at 10:46 am

Protein packed breakfast! I have to try April’s muffins. They’ve gotten so many great reviews. Its 88 here…but doesn’t feel as hot as it has been!

The Coconut Mama June 22, 2010 at 10:50 am

Congrats of feeling the Heablet kicking! Anyway to make this without the microwave? I don’t have one anymore. Your food looks delicious, as usual!

Heather Eats Almond Butter June 22, 2010 at 11:34 am

Coconut Mama, Katie makes a simple protein cake in the oven that I’ve been meaning to try: http://chocolatecoveredkatie.com/2010/04/27/fudge-you-high-protein-chocolate-cake/

Katherine: What About Summer? June 22, 2010 at 10:55 am

I wish I didn’t have a constant affiliation with my microwave but at my parent’s house, it’s the only tool I really use (the rest is taken over; I feel like an intruder). Someone wrote a whole recipe book on making cakes in mugs in the microwave. You’re not the only one who loves them!

Amanda June 22, 2010 at 10:56 am

The weather here in Florence, Italy is kind of bipolar at the moment. Yesterday it was in the 60s and rainy and today it was in the 70s and sunny. Tomorrow is supposed to be in the 80s…I’m not sure what to make of this city.

That’s so exciting about the baby. Congrats!

Amanda

Heather Eats Almond Butter June 22, 2010 at 4:50 pm

Amanda, Stay cool tomorrow…I recommend gelato. ;)

Averie (LoveVeggiesAndYoga) June 22, 2010 at 10:56 am

Way to go on the Protein Cake….and for allowing the nuke box back into your life. I dont love it but really, it will make your life so much easier w/ a child. Anyone who says they dont have one and have a child…I am duly impressed! Heck, I like my coffee SUPER hot so always zap it!

Kicking. Omg. So amazing. That is SUCH an amazing feeling. Feels like butterflies in your stomach when the little apple is barely tapping you w/ his/her little legs and arms. So happy for you!!!!

xo

rachael June 22, 2010 at 10:59 am

Yay for baby kicks!

Sarah (from See Sarah Eat) June 22, 2010 at 11:03 am

Go baby! :) It is definitely 1,000 degrees here in Kentucky but I’ve been walking too, usually before lunch time. Stay cool down there!

Lynn June 22, 2010 at 11:06 am

Yay for babykicks! I was so excited when I first felt them, too. It’s something no one can really explain to you; you just have to feel it on your own. So happy for you :) Wait till your laying on the couch or in bed and SEE your belly moving around. Oh, hwo I miss being pregnant. I actually enjoyed the heck out of it.
I am in KY, too, Teenage Gourmet! I’m in Richmond, which is near Lexington. And it is whoa hot here. I think mid 90′s now. Blech. But I looove the sunshine. What are summers in CO like? Husby and I are looking to relocate in a few years and CO is definitely on our radar.

Heather Eats Almond Butter June 22, 2010 at 4:48 pm

Lynn, I know – I can’t wait for CD to be able to feel and see the baby kick. Summers in Colorado are nothing short of amazing. One summer we stayed at about 6000 feet altitude, and it warm during the daytime, and a bit cooler at night. Highs got in the 80′s, but no humidity. It was wonderful. Last summer we stayed at 9000 feet, and it was downright chilly a lot of the time, but sunny almost everyday. Love that state!

hayleycepeda June 22, 2010 at 11:06 am

I’m having the same issue with cravings – they seem to go from one extreme to the other, but when it comes time to eating I can’t figure out what I want! Though lately it seems to be boiled eggs…

I’m going to have to try April’s cake! :)

Anna June 22, 2010 at 11:06 am

Ohhh, how fun that you’re feeling the baby kick! My sister had a baby in March, and there were some days when she was kicking up a STORM! So cool!

Kendall June 22, 2010 at 11:10 am

Alas, no summer here yet! We’ve been calling it Juneuary :( Lots of rain, gray skies, don’t leave the house w/o sweatshirt in tow cuz you’ll probably get cold wherever you go dreariness. On the bright side, however, all the plants and grass are vibrant green and growing like mad! I forgot what it was like here in June after living in the sweltering DC heat for a few years! It’s usually really nice and even borderline hot come July and August, so hopefully it’s just around the corner! p.s. So exciting about your baby kicking!!

Lauren (Clean Eats in the Dirty South) June 22, 2010 at 11:19 am

awww yay the baby kicking!
it’s definitely a thousand and one degrees where i am. i HATE it! :(

lindsay June 22, 2010 at 11:19 am

Maybe the baby was kicking for more protein cakes?? hehe. Its about 2,000 degrees here in TX. UGH! Too hot and its just the start of summer, not a good sign.

Nicole June 22, 2010 at 11:20 am

Hey! Yes it is GROSSSLY hot here in DC! I’ve been complaining for the past week about it!! And I really hope this crappy, swamp-ass weather does not follow me to Boston for my 1/2 next weekend!!!
That protien cake thing looks interesting…I will have to give it a shot!
I really hope you have central air…stay cool my friend!!

Heather Eats Almond Butter June 22, 2010 at 11:37 am

Nicole, Definitely cranking the AC today! I hear it’s supposed to cool off soon, and so hopefully Boston will be nice for your half!

Vanessa June 22, 2010 at 11:20 am

I live in the Pacific Northwest on the Olympic Peninsula in Washington State. The weather has been in the mid 50′s for the last week and I am jumping for joy that it will reach 63 Today! At least the sun is out today too. :)

Ana June 22, 2010 at 11:24 am

Yay, baby kick is the most wonderful feeling! I loved every single kick and movements my baby did in my belly when pregnant!! (ok, the kicks on the ribs towards the end of the pregnancy were more painful than magical, but I still loved it!)
Enjoy, enjoy, enjoy your pregnancy Heather!!
I have made a pumpkin cake like that in the microwave, the ones I made used pumpkin puree and egg whites, I need to try the chocolate ones sometime soon!

glutenfreemuse June 22, 2010 at 11:25 am

Heather,

Report from CO…97 degrees today!!! Partially cloudy and a huge wildfire in the Royal Gorge! You may be better off in TN :-)

Cakes look awesome! I will have to give them a try!

~Alyssa

Heather Eats Almond Butter June 22, 2010 at 11:35 am

Alyssa, Yes, but no humidity for you. That’s what makes it unbearable here. Enjoy some fresh air for me. It’s stifling in Nashville today.

homecookedem June 22, 2010 at 11:33 am

YAY!!!!!! How exciting to feel little Heablet kicks!! :)

Heather Eats Almond Butter June 22, 2010 at 11:34 am

Em, Shouldn’t be much longer before you can feel your little one kicking. It’s the coolest feeling!

Evan Thomas June 22, 2010 at 11:44 am

I definitely feel differently on microwaving depending on what it is. Grains I figure are so dead already who’s it going to hurt to nuke them for 2 minutes? Veggies I’d like to cook raw or roast to caramelize. But then again, kale steamed for 2 minutes in the microwave is like a gift from God sometimes–fast, easy, and delicious

Mama Pea June 22, 2010 at 11:57 am

Yes! The protein cake is the main reason I use my microwave…well, that and popcorn. I’ so glad you’ve come to the dark side.

Kellie June 22, 2010 at 12:08 pm

As ashamed as I am to say this, I use my microwave for almost everything. It is easier, less dishes are needed and I am lazy. Congrats on feeling the baby. That is the thing I miss the most. The little movements in your belly. When the baby gets bigger it is the most amazing feeling watching your belly move around. So cool!

edenseats June 22, 2010 at 12:12 pm

congrats on the kick, maybe we have a little tae bo kicker in there (remember that craze?). I’m still afraid of buying protien powders cause they come in huge tubs and cost a lot and I dont know if I’ll like it. Plus, i question if i should be getting protein from a powder. those look delicious though, everything u make looks delicious!!!

Heather Eats Almond Butter June 22, 2010 at 5:24 pm

Edenseats, I know Jay Robb sells his powders in individual serving size packets – so you could always try those first or skip the powders altogether. Tonight I made protein powder with a frozen banana instead of the powder. Mmm mmm good! :)

nikkionlunch June 22, 2010 at 12:34 pm

Yay to baby kicks! That definitely produced smiles on my end.

And it might only be 800 degrees here, but the humidity makes up for it. Ugh!

bananasforbananas June 22, 2010 at 12:46 pm

Congrats on the baby kicks!! Seriously though, you’re cravings and daily eats make my day. You are always eating so good! It inspires me to eat good food too :) thank you

Heather Eats Almond Butter June 22, 2010 at 5:27 pm

bananas, You’re welcome. Thanks for reading. :)

saltytooth June 22, 2010 at 12:53 pm

How exciting about the baby kicks! Does it feel really “real” now?

Also, love microwave cakes. I started making them a few months ago and I’m officially addicted.

Heather Eats Almond Butter June 22, 2010 at 5:25 pm

Saltytooth, yes, it does. The ultrasound was cool to see, but feeling the kicks is wild. I love it. :)

janetha June 22, 2010 at 1:37 pm

yess. i love protein cakes! and i love hearing about the heablet!

missyrayn June 22, 2010 at 1:41 pm

Baby kicks!

I don’t use the microwave too much but I love the convenience.

Mary @ Bites and Bliss June 22, 2010 at 2:26 pm

Awwe yay the little HEABlet’s kicking!! :D And it’s scorching here, too. Not exactly 1,000* but close..around 97. *sigh* oh, Fall..please hurry.

Kittie June 22, 2010 at 2:27 pm

Congrats about the kicks! It is so hot here!

RunToThefinish June 22, 2010 at 2:37 pm

You turned me on to her blog awhile back and I do love some of the fun recipes.

wow i can’t imagine feeling the baby kick, very cool

Ozlem June 22, 2010 at 2:40 pm

wow awesome news!! I used to love that feeling ahhhh ~sigh~~ enjoy.

Brynne June 22, 2010 at 3:35 pm

Meals that involve savory AND sweet are the best kind :0) And yay for little HEABlet kicking! I bet he or she is pulling out some yoga in there haha!

BroccoliHut June 22, 2010 at 4:13 pm

Whoa. World’s most perfect snack cakes. Must try this!
So exciting that the baby’s a kickin’!

Pure2Raw Twins June 22, 2010 at 6:08 pm

Congrats on feeling the baby kick :) Our sister is due any day now, we are so excited we are going to be aunts soon! It has been extremely hot here in NC too, I feel like I am living in Florida all over again, haha.

Gina June 22, 2010 at 6:45 pm

I added a little vanilla to the Protein Cake batter – delicious! I made mine with pumpkin and the texture was very nice, like a real cake.

Feeling the baby kick and move was my very favorite part of being pregnant. I’ll always be sad that I only got to experience it one time.

edenseats June 22, 2010 at 7:32 pm

Thanks Heather!
I feel like one must make a commitment when buying protein powder cause you pay a lot and get a lot….but I’ll try to get those sample envelopes. Whats you favorite protein powder?

Heather Eats Almond Butter June 23, 2010 at 8:19 am

Edenseats, If you’re okay with dairy, then I recommend Jay Robb’s whey. I loved the taste, and the ingredients are great. However, after realizing my body can’t handle much whey, I made the switch to rice protein powder. I like Jay Robb’s the best, and Sun Warrior makes a good one as well.

Katie June 22, 2010 at 7:35 pm

Kicking already?!?! That’s so cool!!

I’ve made those cakes in the past but with a different powder and they turned out like hockey pucks. There must be something special about Jay…!

Melissa S. June 22, 2010 at 7:51 pm

ahhh! BABY KICK!!!! how amazing!!!

and it was in the 90′s today in the valley. it might be in the 100′s by next week. it’s going to be a very long field summer for me!

Annie D. @ Annie's Simple Life June 22, 2010 at 8:02 pm

BABY KICK!!!!!!!!!!!!

marshell y. Roper June 22, 2010 at 8:03 pm

What a great adventure this is going to be!! Kick on baby!!~……Kick on!!
Isn’t it a wonderful thing to be growing a blessing inside of you? I am so praying for you,CD & the baby! I guess the baby is saying that all your exercising has gotten him started on his own little routine!!LOL

Heather Eats Almond Butter June 23, 2010 at 8:23 am

Shell, Yes, so wonderful. Thanks for your prayers. :)

allie June 22, 2010 at 8:28 pm

I saw this protein cake recipe and had to try it- I used the vanilla whey protein powder, 1 tbsp of unsweetened cocoa powder, 1 packet of truvia, 3 tbsp egg whites, a splash of vanilla and maple syrup, and PEAR BUTTER instead of applesauce. Tasted AMAZING- my fiance thought it was a brownie! Will definitely be experimenting with this again :-)

maxinthegym June 23, 2010 at 5:04 am

Wow that cake looks so simple and delicious! I’m going to go make one now…..

Elizabeth June 23, 2010 at 7:55 am

Do you think there is any way to make this vegan? Would it work with an egg replacer? I suppose you’d lose out on some of the protein, but it looks so good and I want to try it!!!

Heather Eats Almond Butter June 23, 2010 at 8:22 am

Elizabeth, Here is a microwave vegan version that Heather makes: http://heathers-perspective.blogspot.com/2010/06/super-simple-single-serving-sweet-snack.html, and here is an oven baked vegan protein cake that Katie makes: http://chocolatecoveredkatie.com/2010/04/27/fudge-you-high-protein-chocolate-cake/. Both sound delicious, and I hope to try them soon.

meghan June 23, 2010 at 2:07 pm

I had two protein muffins today and they were delish! I have chocolate hemp protein powder so I used that instead and then omitted the stevia and cocoa. So good! I had one plain and one with fresh almond butter smeared on! Thanks Heather!

Heather Eats Almond Butter June 23, 2010 at 3:41 pm

Meghan, I did the same when I made mine – no cocoa powder and no stevia. They were perfect. So glad you enjoyed. :)

Susan June 24, 2010 at 7:43 am

1. Omg the baby is kicking!!!!

2. Omg you used the microwave!!!

3. Omg I love April’s protein cakes!!
;)

Felicia June 24, 2010 at 11:28 am

okay so. i was sceptical at first… but oh my goodness am i glad i tried this!! topped with some fage and a sprinkle of cinnamon , i just couldn’t believe how good it was. i see these in my future too :)

Heather Eats Almond Butter June 24, 2010 at 2:02 pm

Felicia, I know – so good, huh and super easy. So excited you tried the cakes! :)

Katie June 24, 2010 at 1:08 pm

Yay for baby kicks! Exciting!

It is thankfully NOT super hot here in Southern CA yet… we are still enjoying June gloom (morning overcast), which makes the afternoons still bearable. I have a feeling though that July is not going to let June’s gloom stick around…

This cake looks awesome!

Bekah June 25, 2010 at 12:52 pm

I knew you’d finally come around to the microwave. And FYI: That’s coming from a student who lives in small space with two other girls, that SHARE a microwave. Um.. and when you’ve turned one of those roommates onto HEABified Hot Cocoa, things can get kinda busy, or err trafficky with that one microwave. :)