HEAB Live: Protein Ice-Cream Tutorial

by HEAB on June 23, 2010

I woke up this morning and decided to film my process for making protein ice-cream. Please excuse the wires dangling from our cabinets and torn up walls. We’re in the process of remodeling our kitchen.

After making my maple cinnamon ice-cream, I stuck in the freezer while I prepared the rest of my breakfast. Taking SoloSzabi’s advice, I made myself an apple pie omelet…

Since I was going for a more crepe-like omelet, I beat two egg whites with my hand mixer until stiff white peaks formed and then whisked in 1 whole egg and a few drops of vanilla. While beating the eggs, I heated up my cast iron skillet over medium high heat. Once it was hot, I added a small dollop of coconut oil and then poured in my egg mixture. After about 90 seconds, I filled the center of my omelet with a few spoonfuls of Trader Joe’s Chunky Spiced Apples (best applesauce ever!) and a few plumped-up raisins (to plump, soak raisins in water for about 15 minutes and then drain). I then flipped one half of my omelet over with a metal spatula and let it cook another minute or so. Toppings included one scoop of the maple cinnamon protein ice-cream and more cinnamon. An apple pie omelet a la mode…who would’ve thought? Me! :)

I am really loving these sweet omelets. Have you tried one yet?

Marilou @ Mostly Healthy June 23, 2010 at 9:56 am

Thanks a lot for that!! I was looking forward on understanding the concept heheeh!

Heather Eats Almond Butter June 23, 2010 at 9:57 am

Marilou, You’re welcome. :)

VeggieGirl June 23, 2010 at 9:58 am

Good morning to you too :-D LOVE the tutorial!! Food Network/Cooking Channel, here you come.

And yes, high-speed blenders are MUSTS.

Jessica @ How Sweet June 23, 2010 at 9:58 am

I also love TJ’s chunky spiced apples! That is a fabulous use for them – I need to try an omelet like that!

Your video also has me craving a Vita. I NEED one.

Heather Eats Almond Butter June 23, 2010 at 10:00 am

Jessica, Once you go Vita, you never go back. :)

Carolyn June 23, 2010 at 10:00 am

OMG the Heablet pillow…made my day…!

Becki June 23, 2010 at 10:00 am

I haven’t tried it yet, but after I make my Green Monsta in a few minutes, that’s going on the griddle!

Heather Eats Almond Butter June 23, 2010 at 10:01 am

Becki, Enjoy! :)

Anna June 23, 2010 at 10:02 am

Ahhh, thank you so much for this video tutorial! I’ve been hoping that someone would make one, as I’ve yet to try the protein ice cream phenomenon. Now I’ll definitely have too :-)

I love it that you put a pillow over your belly. Too cute!

Tes June 23, 2010 at 10:07 am

I love the video. I will try this protein ice-cream for sure! I would like to subsitute protein powder with banana. Oh yeah.. the sweet omelets, too! Sweet omelet & ice-cream… ummm I’m in heaven!

vanillavivante June 23, 2010 at 10:08 am

Heather…the pillow! I love it!
Thanks for this tutorial. The only protein powder I have on hand is gritty hempseed powder, but I may have to invest in some rice powder to try this out :-)

brandi June 23, 2010 at 10:08 am

maple cinnamon sounds awesome! I definitely need a good blender.

Love the headphones + pillow :)

Mel @ She Runs Brooklyn June 23, 2010 at 10:09 am

Hey Heather!

Your blog is one of my favorites :) and I think it’s so awesome when people put videos. I had no idea what you sounded like, and it’s almost like i just met you. Pretty cool!

One day I will try this ice cream. I swear I was just talking to my boyfriend about guar gum last night. He made fun of my endlessly. Heh.

Heather Eats Almond Butter June 23, 2010 at 11:28 am

Mel, Nice to meet you. :) CD doesn’t understand my love of the gums either. Silly boys. ;)

Katie June 23, 2010 at 10:10 am

Love the video! The HEABlet pillow is the BEST…ahaha.

And I need a vitamix. End of story.

Sarena (The Non-Dairy Queen) June 23, 2010 at 10:10 am

You are too cute! I love the headphones and pillow! Safety first! I will be doing this soon! I am loving hemp protein powder lately. I started mixing in cocoa powder and NuNaturals cocoa drops to make a fudge topping on my oats! I am not a chocolate girl, but I am definitely getting addicted to it! Your omelet looks delicious!

Heather Eats Almond Butter June 23, 2010 at 11:41 am

Sarena, What brand of hemp protein do you use. There are very few I can find that I actually like…and I knew you’d come around to chocolate someday. ;)

jacobc June 23, 2010 at 10:14 am

mmm, i bet PB would be awesome instead of the maple and cinnamon!

Lol! Heablet is def going to be spoiled!

ashley June 23, 2010 at 10:18 am

Yess, the sweet omelette’s are SO good!! I made one recently and then repeated it a few days later. I’m obsessed with eggs! http://edibleperspective.com/?p=8837

lindsay June 23, 2010 at 10:20 am

I just made a goat cheese/dark chocolate almond butter and strawberry crepe omelet last night. Going to post the recipe today and link it back to yours. It was AWESOME!

Heather Eats Almond Butter June 23, 2010 at 11:40 am

Lindsay, So glad you enjoyed it – love the addition of strawberries. Yum!

homecookedem June 23, 2010 at 10:25 am

You are so adorable! And you have such gorgeous hair!! And your Heablet bump makes me smile! :) Your headphones and heablet pillow had me giggling!! Great tutorial!! :)

Mama Pea June 23, 2010 at 10:30 am

Love it! I haven’t been using the guar gum! Uh oh. I see little Baby HEAB down there too…so cute…he/she is going to be so used to the hum of the VitaMix :)

Heather June 23, 2010 at 10:36 am

i love it when you do videos…you’re adorable! i was just thinking that protein ice cream sounds like the perfect summer breakfast :)

Olivia @ Blissful Runner June 23, 2010 at 10:38 am

Great video! I’m going to have to get me some gums! And ohmygod that omlet looks AMAZING!

A Teenage Gourmet June 23, 2010 at 10:39 am

Ahhh, you’re going to force me to buy those gums and make this stuff! It looks too good, haha.

Ana June 23, 2010 at 10:46 am

Love the video Heather! I am really going to get some gums and buy me a vitamix, I soooo want that.
As the baby grows you will feel him/her kick when you are around loud noises. Or at least it was like that with me, my son would go wild in the belly with louder noises. Going to the movies was funny because he would kick and move a lot inside. When I was 7 months pregnant we wanted to go to an Aerosmith concert and on one of the doctor’s visit we asked about risks of the baby going deaf or something, he said there was no problem at all! (we bought the tickets and the concert was canceled a couple days before its day, I was totally disappointed, and am still waiting till today – 8 years later- to see Aerosmith come to where I live…)
Really enjoyed seeing the video and the method you use! Plus you look great pregnant and I love your hair, gorgeous!

Heather Eats Almond Butter June 23, 2010 at 11:39 am

Ana, You would love the Vita-Mix! Call their 1-800 number as the company often sells demo models at a discounted rate. That’s what I got – they send it with a new container, and it comes with the 7-year warranty. You’ll save about $100.

We asked the doctor about the blender, and she just kind of laughed and said the HEABlet should be fine. However, to make CD feel better, I always cover up the belly. :)

Alexx June 23, 2010 at 10:58 am

I feel so much envy… there are no Trader’s Joe, Whole Foods or any store like that where I live, not even local farmers/markets where I can find more natural food… just regular supermarkets.

Anyway, now is like a personal quest to find a place where I can buy all the amazing ingredients you post about.

I ate a goat cheese + grapes (green seedless) omelet and it was grate, I loved it.

HEABlet’s pillow is soooo cute!

Heather Eats Almond Butter June 23, 2010 at 11:34 am

Alexx, Good luck finding the ingredients…and thank goodness for the Internet! I really like http://www.iherb.com for supplements, protein powders, bars, gums, etc.

Cheese and grape omelet – sounds yummy!

erica June 23, 2010 at 10:59 am

Heather, you’re adorable! Thanks so much for the tutorial!

denise June 23, 2010 at 11:00 am

I love this :)

Jo @ jagsfitnessblog.com June 23, 2010 at 11:09 am

Great tutorial Heather, I *must* buy a vitamax!

Katherine: What About Summer? June 23, 2010 at 11:15 am

the apple pie crepe twists “omelet” into a new meaning! great video to how-to the ice cream… if only I had a blender

Lisa June 23, 2010 at 11:15 am

Thanks! Sometimes I’ve tried the ice cream in the food processor (without so much ice), but I’m thinking the vita-mix will work better.

Averie (LoveVeggiesAndYoga) June 23, 2010 at 11:19 am

Oh I love the Heab video! You, not the recipe, is what makes me smile :)

Sweet eggs..when I was a kid I used to flood them w/ syrup. I love everything sweeter, for sure!

edenseats June 23, 2010 at 11:41 am

Thanks so much for that! As you know I love sweet omelets! Have you seen my “almond butter crepe”? Its basically an omelet made with almond butter. Heres my recipe http://edenseats.wordpress.com/2010/06/07/chocolate-banana-almond-butter-crepes/
It my favorite “sweet omelet” although I’m a big Peanut butter and chocolate fan as well. Peaches have been in season lately, so I’ve made a peach and cottage cheese omelet with cinnamon and maple syrup too!

edenseats June 23, 2010 at 11:46 am

O, and I wanted to tell you how cute you look with your pillow and headphones! I also forgot to mention I made a pear and gorgonzola omelet a few weeks ago that was outta this world!

missyrayn June 23, 2010 at 12:15 pm

That looks great. I wonder if my blender could handle that. I miss regular ice cream but can’t have it.

Danielle (Runs on Green) June 23, 2010 at 12:38 pm

I loved the video!! And that’s adorable that you put a pillow in front of your stomach to protect little HEABs hearing haha

Alicia June 23, 2010 at 12:39 pm

The HEABlette pillow is so cute. Thank you for your video, it was great. How does this differ in taste from the frozen banana version?

Heather Eats Almond Butter June 23, 2010 at 12:43 pm

Alicia, Glad you enjoyed the video. The protein powder gives the ice-cream more of a chocolate or vanilla flavor depending on what flavor you use. With bananas, it simply tastes like banana soft-serve, and I don’t notice a big difference in texture between the powder and a frozen banana. It’s the gums that make it fluffy and smooth.

Janna June 23, 2010 at 12:48 pm

Thanks for this tutorial!

My favorite part was you blending with headphones and the HEABlette pillow. Too adorable!

Maggie June 23, 2010 at 1:27 pm

If only I had a vitamix :) If I ever get one I will definitely make your protein ice cream!

Little Bookworm June 23, 2010 at 1:30 pm

Love the tutorial! :)

paijery June 23, 2010 at 1:53 pm

You are just the cutest ever! I loved your tutorial and can’t wait to make some icecream!!

Jenny R. June 23, 2010 at 1:58 pm

Heather…I remember you tried the new Vega shake and go smoothie powder stuff. Have you tried making ice cream with that? I just bought it and I’m curious…

Heather Eats Almond Butter June 23, 2010 at 3:56 pm

Jenny, No, I have not. I’m sure the Vega powder would work, but personally I think Jay Robb tastes better.

Shauna June 23, 2010 at 2:26 pm

Thanks, Heather. I just found your blog a couple days ago, and I can’t wait to try this. Add me to the list of Vita-Mix wannabes. Just curious why you choose rice protein. Flavor? Veg source?

Mary @ Bites and Bliss June 23, 2010 at 2:45 pm

I tried adding raspberry syrup to mine one time. The flavor totally got lost in it..so I’ve just been sticking to eating jam with ‘em. :)

Jess June 23, 2010 at 2:57 pm

Thanks so much for this!!

saltytooth June 23, 2010 at 3:18 pm

Love the tutorial, thanks for posting! I’m also going to make my husband watch it so that he understands why I NEED a Vita!

Heather Eats Almond Butter June 23, 2010 at 3:58 pm

SaltyTooth, For your husband: I actually own a reconditioned VitaMix 5000 that I bought on sale. Often times, the Vita-mix folks sell models on their website that have been used for demos. It’s a great deal, usually about $100 off, and it still comes with the 7-year warranty. So, if you’re looking for a good deal, I would call their 1-800 number and ask them if they have any available. If you’re interested in buying a completely new model, I would definitely recommend the 5200. I love mine, but my MIL has the 5200 and it seemed a bit more efficient and a little quieter. Still loud though. :) Don’t even bother purchasing the dry blade. It’s a waste of money. I bought it and have never once used it in 4 years. The wet blade can do it all.

Ilana June 23, 2010 at 3:26 pm

OK totally unrelated to this post but I finally tried Daiya because of your recommendation…thaaankkkkyouuuu!!!

Heather Eats Almond Butter June 23, 2010 at 3:57 pm

Ilana, Welcome. :)

glutenfreemuse June 23, 2010 at 3:33 pm

You are really making me crave those sweet omelets! I want to try one, but will wait so I can make it fresh :-)

I can’t wait to watch your video! I would loooove to have a Vita Mix!

~Alyssa

kathleen June 23, 2010 at 4:28 pm

Lovely! I always think its funny when I’ve been reading a blog for a long time and when I hear the blogger’s real voice it’s totally different than what I’d imagined. The HEABlet thing was adorable!

Stacy (StacyGrowsHealthy) June 23, 2010 at 4:48 pm

Thanks for the video. I so need a vita mix.

Lara (Thinspired) June 23, 2010 at 5:05 pm

Oh my gosh, so cute about the pillow over your stomach! Wow, is the Vita really that loud?! Crazy!
Sweet omelet…it’s going on my “to try” list. I tried your basic protein pancake recipe and loved them, so I know you would never steer me wrong :)

Heather Eats Almond Butter June 23, 2010 at 6:26 pm

Lara, Yes, the Vita-Mix is that loud. If Chris is at home when I use it, he insists on doing the blending himself and has me leave the room along with the dogs. Hope you enjoy your sweet omelet soon. :)

April June 23, 2010 at 5:15 pm

The pillow thing is too cute!

BroccoliHut June 23, 2010 at 5:22 pm

I’ve been kinda hesitant to try gums in the past, but this post has me convincd that I should give them a try!
PS Loved the video–it’s so fun to be able to match voices with bloggers I read every day:)

gina (fitnessista) June 23, 2010 at 5:26 pm

heab and baby heab! loved this video.. and i’m obsessed with the protein ice cream
i make it with 3/4t xanthan gum, since i don’t have guar and it comes out great (i read online that you can use xanthan instead of gur, but not guar instead of xanthan)
have a great night <3

Heather Eats Almond Butter June 23, 2010 at 6:31 pm

Gina, Good to know. I will pass this info along to my readers. Thank you! :)

Natalie June 23, 2010 at 5:38 pm

This was great- I just got a vitamix today! I will try this again w/ the vita, though I don’ t have any guar gum or protein powder on hand now. What else should I make!? so excited!

Heather Eats Almond Butter June 23, 2010 at 6:30 pm

Natalie, How exciting. How about some raw cashew cheeze sauce? http://heathereatsalmondbutter.com/2008/12/22/ode-to-my-vita-mix/. So yummy!

Michele June 23, 2010 at 5:51 pm

Love the video! Do you use plain or flavored rice protein? I have plain but don’t love the taste in smoothies and wondered if flavored would be better (if there is such a thing) . Thanks!

Heather Eats Almond Butter June 23, 2010 at 6:28 pm

Michele, Yuck, I do not like the plain rice protein powder. Nor do I like the flavored ones without stevia all that much (like Nutribiotic). My favorites are Jay Robb’s chocolate and vanilla. Sun Warrior is good too.

glutenfreemuse June 23, 2010 at 6:24 pm

So I was finally able to watch the video, and I loved it :-) I am still needing to try to make the protein ice cream, but my blender sucks…need a Vita Mix!

~Alyssa

Jenny June 23, 2010 at 6:49 pm

I hope you know now that you’ve done a HEAB live video I demand many many more. You are such a natural in front of your camera. Oh, and you are too cute with your headphones and pillow buffer for the HEABlet.

I only use xanthan gum right now and you are absolutely right. “A bowl of goo” is the only way to describe it. Fortunately, it’s delicious goo – so I deal.

carolinebee June 23, 2010 at 7:00 pm

OMGGGG HEAB in real life i am soo pumped right now! :D I’ve misssedddd you so much I am so excited to catch up with your life! How are CD and the pups?? Haha…I so wish I had a vitamix but that is nothing new, i have to try that omelet..i just had cereal for a snack and I wish i would’ve read this 20 min ago :D XOXO heab’s love ya!!

Heather Eats Almond Butter June 23, 2010 at 8:57 pm

Carolinebee!!! Oh my gosh, I’ve missed you too, but I know your life must have crazy these past few months. CD and the pups are well – same old same old here in Nashville. I feel like I have my husband back now that the NBA Finals are over. We rooted for the Celtics all season! :)

Michelle June 23, 2010 at 7:24 pm

I have been eyeing this ice cream recipe for weeks and my kitchen is fully armed but it wasn’t until I saw this omelet tonight that I really got a sudden craving! Now I can’t wait to go to bed so that I can get up and have this for breakfast!

Melissa S. June 23, 2010 at 7:46 pm

i can’t eat sweet eggs. when i was a kid my aunt (full japanese) used to put sugar in my eggs all the time, which I thought was normal, and HATED IT. only years later after learning they don’t always have sugar, did i finally decide they weren’t so horrible. i can’t to this day eat sweet eggs, even in sushi!

Heather Eats Almond Butter June 23, 2010 at 9:12 pm

Melissa S. Sugar and eggs – never had that growing up. I was more of a ketchup and eggs girl. :)

hotflashbang June 23, 2010 at 8:11 pm

I simply adore you.. .LOL Heablet pillow??? ROFL… that was so darn cute!! It’s fun to hear your voice and body language… your voice is similar to the voice I used for you in my mind… hehe… and you look beautiful and glowing … and your hair is always gorgeous… thanks for the vid… love my vitamix but it is loud!! maybe I need to get earphones for my dogs… LOL

Heather Eats Almond Butter June 23, 2010 at 9:07 pm

Hotflashbang, You’re so sweet. CD takes the dogs out of the room before blending in the Vita-Mix. He’s so worried the entire family is going to go deaf!

Diana (Soap & Chocolate) June 23, 2010 at 8:42 pm

Your video was totally adorable, and I appreciate seeing the recipe in action, as I’ve been on a bit of a protein ice cream bender lately. The new Blendtec has definitely been a welcome addition to my life, but one thing it lacks is the tamper stick thingie. I have to stop and start a couple times during the process of making the ice cream, and I was wondering if I was doing something wrong, but I think the tamper is the difference, since you were able to blend it smooth in one go by keeping things moving manually.

Of course I had a little giggle at the pillow buffer. :) So after the HEABlet arrives, will you be making his/her baby food in the Vitamix? Because I think it would be frowned upon to put a pillow on him/her at that stage, hehehe… ;)

Heather Eats Almond Butter June 23, 2010 at 9:10 pm

Diana, Yes, definitely planning on making baby food in the Vita-Mix…CD will probably take the baby on a car ride or something when I start blending…I kid you not. He is so paranoid that the entire family is going to go deaf.

I hear great things about the Blendtec but always wondered about the no-tamper thing. I heard it’s so powerful, that you don’t really need to tamp. Glad you’re enjoying some protein ice-cream love, and I hope you’re loving your new apartment! :)

Kendall June 23, 2010 at 8:45 pm

Your sound buffering devices totally cracked me up! In DC we lived in an old house with 4 apartments. I had a crappy food processor thing that was SO INSANELY LOUD. For some reason I often needed to use it later in the evening but didn’t want to wake/piss off anyone in the building so I would move it to the furthest corner of the house (not in the kitchen), and wrap it in blankets and towels to keep it quieter. It kind of worked, but it made me so mad because it was a piece of crap that should never have been that loud for the level of performance it delivered. At least the vitamix works well! Oh and my dogs didn’t like it either!

kelsey@snackingsquirrel.com June 23, 2010 at 8:53 pm

oh perfect!!! much needed video. its always better seeing it in person.. well video person at least.. than just following written recipes! btw ur skin is looking GORGEOUS!!! wow :)

ps. im a rice protein powder girl too :)

mayapamela June 23, 2010 at 8:58 pm

I only used xanthan gum too, that was the downfall of my attempt. It was definitely like goo. However, I’m traveling quite a bit this summer and I start school as a freshman this fall. I don’t think I’ll be taking my Blendtec while living in the dorms, as awesome as that would be, so I probably shouldn’t invest in guar gum right now. But I hope to one day really try protein ice cream that isn’t like goo! Loved the tutorial.

Heather Eats Almond Butter June 23, 2010 at 9:15 pm

Mayapamela, Yeah, your dorm-mates might frown upon the loud blender…heck, sometimes, I wonder if out next door neighbors can hear it. Someday you will try non-goo protein ice-cream. Perhaps Santa will bring you some guar gum, and you can try some when you go home for the holidays. :)

Thislady25 June 23, 2010 at 9:29 pm

Aw great video I’ve wanted to try out the protein ice cream ever since I read about it in your posts. I was wondering…do you cook with coconut oil often? I tried to cook with it a few times but it really makes the kitchen smell and I’m not sure about how I feel about the taste it leaves in my food. I know it’s much healthier though and I want to try to continue to use it…any thoughts? Thanks. And wow you have a gorgeous head of hair!<3

Heather Eats Almond Butter June 23, 2010 at 9:34 pm

Thislady25, Thanks so much. :)

I usually always use coconut oil or ghee for high heat cooking. I don’t mind the slight coconut taste, but I know it’s not for everyone. I’m not a fan of vegetable oils, and the only one I really use is olive oil. However, I try to avoid heating it, and mainly use it for raw dishes or salad dressings. If you’re not liking the smell or taste of the coconut oil, I would stick with ghee or grass fed butter. Ghee is clarified butter, and is always made from pastured cows, and as far as regular butter goes, I love the KerryGold brand. Grass fed and so delicious. Hope this helps!

rawkinrobin June 23, 2010 at 9:37 pm

That looks so delish! Always love a video:) I’ve been meaning to pick up the gums lately and this definately makes me want to go right now! I’d love to try a chocolate PB ‘ice cream’!

Kellie June 23, 2010 at 9:52 pm

I love sweet anything, so I bet a sweet omelet is delicious!

Jenn (Jenn's Menu and Lifestyle Blog) June 23, 2010 at 10:09 pm

That sounds delicious! I haven’t tried it but I definitely want to. My Vita-mix is on standby. :)

Jenn

Christopher Ian Hill June 23, 2010 at 10:35 pm

Hey Heather!

Nice video! I would eat it! I just don’t want to make it…he he he. Well, now that I am working maybe I can save up for one of those VitaMix things. :-)

I just ate the “Bad” ice cream….

Chris :)

Deb (SmoothieGirlEatsToo) June 23, 2010 at 11:21 pm

I love your instructional! Yes, the gums are KEY. I should use almond milk- I usually just use water to save .09 calories. Cute with the pillow and headphones :-) Love you!

SoloSzabi June 23, 2010 at 11:50 pm

Yummi… I still stick on the goat cheese and jam omelet, but I will try this on on the weekend. I have to go in Whole Foods and get some apple sauce first. :( Hard to find good products in local shops in London… tea, bacon, marmaite and sausage everywhere… yakkk

Susan June 24, 2010 at 7:49 am

Hahaha, awww, the pillow in front of the belly is too cute. I never realized Vitamixes are so loud! I just remembered I left my gums at my mom’s place. I will have to get her to ship them to me so I can get on this protein ice cream stat. Sounds like a perfect treat in the summer heat! And yes, I also love the taste of my protein powder, straight up ;)

Ana June 24, 2010 at 8:00 am

Thanks for the tip on the vitamix Heather, I will definitely do that! Thanks!!!
When we asked the doctor about going to the concert and risks for the baby he laughed too! :o ) He said the baby is very well protected inside of us!

Denise Billings June 24, 2010 at 8:12 am

Oh Heather, you are too cute! I love seeing your tummy…full of love…and seeing you feeling SO much better than when I stopped by with the organic sweet potatoes a few months ago. Thanks for showing how you make the ice cream. I’ve got to vet a Vita-Mix.

Heather Eats Almond Butter June 24, 2010 at 8:21 am

Thanks Denise, Oh my gosh, feeling so much better! Hope to see you soon. Love, H. :)

Amber at Berlin's Whimsy June 24, 2010 at 9:36 am

What a cute video! (Oh, and helpful, too)! I love the pillow :-) . I always wear ear protection, too.

I want to try making this for my kids and see what they think. I’m envisioning all kinds of flavors!

april June 24, 2010 at 10:51 am

Heather, this video made my day! You are so adorable! Your voice, your appearance, your attitude, and not to mention those headphones and pillow are just darling!!

Heather Eats Almond Butter June 24, 2010 at 1:57 pm

Thanks April. :)

eatmovelove June 25, 2010 at 7:07 pm

Oh my God – you are the CUTEST thing ever!! You totally remind me of Carrie Underwood in your video! I don’t know – the voice and the hair…the “Nashville” vibe…she is a country star after all ;)

hayleycepeda June 26, 2010 at 6:21 am

I FINALLY got around to watching this video and have to say that you are SO pretty!! I so wish I had your long, thick hair.

VERY helpful video – I’ve always wondered about your protein ice cream! So basically it won’t come out very well if you just use xanthum gum? Unfortunately I don’t have guar (yet!) :)

Heather Eats Almond Butter June 26, 2010 at 6:33 am

Hayley, I know some other bloggers have had some success with just xanthan, but honestly, I think it’s gross. After having used both of the gums together, just using the xanthan gum alone gives the ice-cream a real “gummy” texture. I just ordered some guar gum from http://www.iherb.com. It’s about $5 a bag, and lasts me over 6 months. So worth it!

PS – I would gladly give you some of my hair if I could…I’ve got a lot. :)

sarah June 26, 2010 at 11:28 am

This is the best “ice cream” ever! Thanks so much for sharing this! I used some soy milk, frozen banana, vanilla, cinnamon, the gums, and topped it with pecans last night…. PERFECTION! You rock girl!

Heather Eats Almond Butter June 26, 2010 at 12:16 pm

Sarah, So happy to hear you liked it!

Zeus' Mom June 26, 2010 at 4:09 pm

You are so stinkin’ cute with that pillow and headphones! Honestly, cut it out!

Hope all is well with you, the HEABlet and CD!

Heather Eats Almond Butter June 26, 2010 at 4:42 pm

Thank you Zeus’ Mom, we’re doing just fine. Hope all is well with you too! :)

Lauren June 28, 2010 at 8:11 pm

Oh my gosh, Heather, you are so stinking cute! When you busted out that pillow I died laughing. When your baby is born and gets upset, all you will need to do is turn on the vita-mix and he/she will be like “ahhh…the womb.” I wish I knew you in “real life!” :)

Heather Eats Almond Butter June 28, 2010 at 10:15 pm

Lauren, Thanks Lauren, and I’ll have to remember that – That would be too funny if the Vita-Mix actually worked in the calming the baby. Hehe. :)

{ 1 trackback }