Low Carb Chocolate Cake

by HEAB on June 24, 2010

When CD and I were going over last month’s budget, I was a bit shocked to learn that I had been to the grocery store 27 times. TWENTY-SEVEN times! Oops. I had so many food aversions and bizarre cravings going on that I just went and bought whatever sounded good on that particular day, and then I would end up throwing several other items in the cart…including many pints of non-dairy ice-cream. Needless to say, our grocery spending…okay, my grocery spending was off the charts. So, I’m trying to cut back these days and rather than go out and buy whatever I’m craving, I’ve decided to just get creative based on ingredients we already have. All this to say that yesterday I really wanted some fudge or chocolate cake…so I made something really interesting…don’t be scared. ;)

I decided to finally try a recipe I’ve had bookmarked for weeks, Chocolate Covered Katie’s High Protein Cake. Be prepared for chocolate overload in these next few photos…

I followed Katie’s recipe with a few HEABifications. First off, I doubled the recipe to make one large loaf cake, used applesauce instead of pumpkin, 1 whole egg instead of the egg replacement, 1/4 cup water, skipped any added sweetener, and threw in 1/2 mashed avocado for a good dose of fat. As much as I love my rice protein powder, it tends to taste chalky and dry in baked goods, and I was hoping the whole egg and avocado would add some moisture. They did!

Before baking…

After baking…notice the avocado chunks. Apparently, I didn’t do a very thorough job of mashing, but hey, who doesn’t like chocolate cake with green chunks?!?

So, how did it taste? Well, CD said It’s not awful, and he usually stays far away from my rice protein concoctions. I for one thought it was yummy. Definitely not your typical chocolate cake, but it did the job. First I enjoyed a piece atop a bowl of plain goat milk yogurt…

Then, I thought Ah, what the hell...

I’ll be the first to admit that I’m totally using pregnancy as an excuse to cover at least one dish in whipped cream everyday. :)

Then we have this morning’s breakfast…

I made a big bowl of chocolate banana ice-cream (protein ice-cream with a frozen banana instead of protein powder) and toped it with 2 slices of the cake and today’s dose of whipped cream. I know it looks like nothing but a huge brownie sundae – but so many good things in there. Protein, avocado, egg, banana…all covered in chocolate.

Screen shot 2010-06-23 at 10.37.52 PM.png

The stats for 1/6 of the cake recipe.

Before I go, more google searches that found their way to HEAB…

201006240905.jpg

Aw, that made my whole day.

Katie, thank you so much for sharing your recipe. I already have plans to make it again soon…especially since I finished off the first one in less than 24 hours. ;)

Beth June 24, 2010 at 8:20 am

HAHA! I loooove that someone searched for “nice ass” and stumbled upon your page. That section of my blog stats is one of my favorites because there’s some funny stuff that shows up on there. Someone searched “hungover bikram yoga” and got to me… not AS good though!

Heather (Heather's Dish) June 24, 2010 at 8:24 am

bahahaha nice ass is HILARIOUS! way to rock it HEAB :)

Jessica @ How Sweet June 24, 2010 at 8:27 am

I bet we go to the store 27 times, too. No matter what, I ALWAYS forget something!

homecookedem June 24, 2010 at 8:29 am

I totally could have written the first part of this post! I have been going to the grocery store every other day to restock on red grapes or buy more cheddar cheese to make more pimento cheese or more bread for sandwiches… it’s getting ridiculous, haha! ;) But I already feel like things are starting to settle down as far as the cravings and aversions, so hopefully my spending will settle down also! ;)

Hehe, I’d be totally flattered by that google search also!! ;) Way to work it Mama HEAB!! :)

Samantha Angela @ Bikini Birthday June 24, 2010 at 8:29 am

Wow, you almost went every day! That would have driven me crazy :P

Little Bookworm June 24, 2010 at 8:29 am

I love that last photo, it looks absolutely amazing! Funny google searches as well.

Bethany @ More Fruit Please June 24, 2010 at 8:30 am

Ahh! I love the search list! Too funny!!! I am LOVING all the chocolate!!

rachael June 24, 2010 at 8:32 am

I am afraid to track my grocery spending but think I probably should start . . .

Not only one but 2 google searches for nice ass, brought them to your blog. Not bad Mama HEAB:) My blog is tiny but the best one I’ve gotten so far is “see through yoga pants.”

Heather Eats Almond Butter June 24, 2010 at 9:06 am

Rachael, I’m amazed at what some people google. “See through yoga pants”?!?

Anna June 24, 2010 at 8:35 am

Nice ass…LOL. Love it! That would have made my day too :-)

It looks like a good cake!

saltytooth June 24, 2010 at 8:39 am

Oh man, I guess now you know how I search for you blog. That’s embarrassing…:)

Heather Eats Almond Butter June 24, 2010 at 9:04 am

Saltytooth, Don’t be embarrassed – I’m honored. Hehe. :)

Chocolate-Covered Katie June 24, 2010 at 8:41 am

Oh poor CD: you fed it to him without ANY added sweetener? LOL I fed some to my mom with just a 1/2 pack of stevia for the loaf (how I like it), and she SPIT it out hahaha. So I made her another try with 2 packs, and she ate it all up and said it tasted like brownies :) .
But it looks absolutely amazing over your protein ice cream, which is making me crave protein ice cream like crazy and wish I could bring my vita-mix with me in my suitcase. Hmmm… nope, no room. Plus, I think my family would think I was crazy :( . They already think it’s weird enough I’m bringing my bullet!

Yikes, I’m writing a book here. I’ll stop now, but I have just one more thing to say:
NICE ASS! ;)

Heather Eats Almond Butter June 24, 2010 at 9:09 am

Katie, LOVED the cake, and it was plenty sweet with the Jay Robb. I’m surprised CD even tried it…and even more shocked that he actually liked it as he is not a fan of rice protein powder. Glad he saved me some for breakfast! :)

christina June 24, 2010 at 8:41 am

ahhh the amount of times i go to a grocery store a month is ridiculous too! i track my spending on mint.com and i spend more money on food than i should! almost as much as my rent! not okay!!

i looooooove the google searches! they crack me up. do you use google analytics to find that out? your list looks different than mine, and that’s what i use.

at least someone searched “nice ass” …someone searched for “chubby christina” and got to mine. hahahha

Heather Eats Almond Butter June 24, 2010 at 9:03 am

Christina, Wordpress provides the Google search stats, and I’m the same way. I’m not a shoes or purse girl…all my money goes towards Whole Foods and Trader Joe’s!

Ilana June 24, 2010 at 8:43 am

Yeah, wahtever, you just wanted to tell us all you have a nice ass!! ;) Which you probably do haha.

It’s funny, I recently noticed that though I stopped shopping for clothes/shoes/um whatever .. .I’m still a massive consumer. There’s all these “foodie” items I “need” to try. I don’t “need” to do anything. I just make excuses because I think I’m addicted to spending money.

Heather Eats Almond Butter June 24, 2010 at 9:06 am

Ilana, Ha, I wish! “Flat ass” would be a much more appropriate google search in my case. ;)

Frugal 'n' Fit! June 24, 2010 at 8:43 am

I am a firm believer that pregnancy can be used as a valid excuse for almost anything, but especially for anything involving the application of whipped cream!

Bethany @ Not Unless I'm Being Chased June 24, 2010 at 8:46 am

Wow. I am so jealous “nice ass” was in your Google search terms. So jealous! I’m trying to figure out how I can swing something like that…;) Happy Thursday!

Heather (Perspective Is Everything) June 24, 2010 at 8:51 am

Oh yeah….how do you find that google search for how people get to your blog?
Too funny.
I’ve used avocado in muffin mixes before. LOVE it :)

Heather Eats Almond Butter June 24, 2010 at 9:01 am

Heather, Wordpress provides the google search stats, but for Blogger, you can download Google Statistics…I think.

Heather Eats Almond Butter June 24, 2010 at 9:04 am

Heather, Oops – I meant Google Analytics.

Ana June 24, 2010 at 8:57 am

Funny the google searches!
The protein cake looks really good and the stats are actually pretty good, 14 grams of protein and 3g of fiber in a serving, I like that!
Will try that sometime for sure, avocado and all!

Jen June 24, 2010 at 8:59 am

LOL re: the Google search. You’re awesome, HEAB.

katie June 24, 2010 at 9:02 am

i probably go to the grocery store almost as many times a month as you do, and definitely need to cut back. you go in for one specific thing and end up leaving with 10. not good for the wallet ;)

Meg June 24, 2010 at 9:07 am

HAHA! That’s definitely one way to rock your blog ;)

I really wanna try Katie’s recipe. Who am I kidding…I wanna try A LOT of her recipes! Glad it was delicious, and what a perfect summer breakfast!

Happy Thursday, Heather!

ohkansascity June 24, 2010 at 9:08 am

I’m bad for grocery shopping a lot. I’m very much of the mindset of wanting everything fresh, and I never plan ahead, so I’m usually heading to the grocery store quite a few days a week. It’s surprising how much everything adds up though.

That cake looks delicious. I really am going to have to try making one of them one of these days. And I love the idea of adding avocado. It’s one of my favorite foods.

Isn’t it hilarious some of the searches that can bring people to your blog. My #1 search term is nerdgasm. It makes me chuckle.

Heather Eats Almond Butter June 24, 2010 at 9:10 am

Ohkansascity, Nerdgasm – hahaha. Too funny! Hope you enjoy some avocado cake soon! :)

VeggieGirl June 24, 2010 at 9:29 am

Better search terms than what brings people to MY site!

Susan June 24, 2010 at 9:34 am

Oh man, are you kidding me with this? This looks amazing. I want to dive right in. Fabulous idea for those of us with the incurable sweet tooth. Thanks!

famishedtofantastic June 24, 2010 at 9:46 am

My aversions and cravings have sent me to the grocery store more times than I want to admit. The only down side right now to that is the smell of the grocery store makes me want to gag right now. Oh the things one will do for pregnancy cravings :)

I am not going to have to try the protien cake. Every time I come to your blog your chocolate concontions look so good and I can not stop thinking about chocolate all day until I can get some.

Love your blog!

Kellie June 24, 2010 at 10:27 am

That’s great. Mine would be “big ass”!

Fervent Foodie June 24, 2010 at 10:54 am

Hahahaha… I hope one day I too will have “nice ass” in my list of googel searches :)

glidingcalm June 24, 2010 at 11:30 am

I think I go to the grocery store just as much as you!!!!

LOVE THIS POST.

Pearl June 24, 2010 at 11:33 am

Hahahaha! Oh my gosh – I love the “nice ass” search. He/she definitely came to the right place – you are one hot mama.

Quick question though: I know this is going to sound really awful, probably, and I apologize in advance if it comes out that way and please know that I have no experience/knowledge whatsoever with pregnancy and childrearing; but is there a limit to how much protein a growing baby can be given?

Pearl

Heather Eats Almond Butter June 24, 2010 at 2:17 pm

Pearl, Apparently protein is a very important nutrient when you’re pregnant…after all you are growing another person. Normally, I never worry about protein, and I’m not really worried about it now as I know I get plenty. However, my body is craving it like crazy – tons of meat, cheese, yogurt, etc. So, I’m just going with it. Some days I get a ton…others not so much, but I’m sure it all evens out. That’s why I went with a banana in my ice-cream instead of the protein powder as the cake itself provided more than enough for one meal.

edenseats June 24, 2010 at 11:39 am

I go to the grocery store a lot too, i like for my produce to be fresh. Dont fret, when my sister was preggers, she’d make her hubby go to the store like every hour getting random stuff she normally didnt like. That cake looks so good! I would try it with a baked sweet potato for the pumpkin or ever blueberry apple sauce. O boy I need a napkin, Im drooling!

Heather @ Get Healthy With Heather June 24, 2010 at 11:39 am

Yum chocolate heaven! I try to go to the store only once or twice a weeks… It helps me stay on budget but I tend to go more often expecially lately.

Averie (LoveVeggiesAndYoga) June 24, 2010 at 11:51 am

i installed google analytics b/c as a blogger blog, i dont have that handy feature but god, I want it! Goog analytics isnt perfect but I have seen a few interesting things in just a week or so.

your groc store habits will quickly be put into check. The thought of schlepping out w/ a newborn wont happen so enjoy all these trips…truly! They are alone time on errands which will be a thing of your past soon….relish the freedom not to travel with 17 items to leave the house for a half hour :)

xoxo

Gracie June 24, 2010 at 12:02 pm

That cake looks delicious to me!! And I’m not even a big chocolate fan, haha. I can’t help but think that the avocado made it super moist.

I’m with ya on going to the grocery store a lot. I just can’t help it, though…it’s one of my favorite hang outs! :P

mapledreams June 24, 2010 at 12:19 pm

Would NEVER have thoguht to add an avacado to a thing such as this..but it doesn’t seem like such a bad idea! it almost looks better BEFORE being baked! yummm xx

Rebecca @ How the Cookies Crumble June 24, 2010 at 12:39 pm

Thats awesome that “nice ass” was a hit to your page!

marshell y. Roper June 24, 2010 at 1:17 pm

aaaaaah! Just what I need, a low carb chocolate cake! I am on low/no carb diet, and I seriously think that if I make this cake, I will eat the whole thing in one sitting. Oh well. at least I will not feel too guilty.

kelsey@snackingsquirrel.com June 24, 2010 at 1:24 pm

what do you mean.. i thought it was pretty obvious that all “nice ass” searches would end up here!! haha

thats too funny :) but hey i guess we gotta take our complements when we can even if it comes from the most random and unusal places hehe

oOoOo i love making chocolate desserts healthy! and even if they dont turn out sweet or the way u would expect choc cake to be, you can always do what you did and pair it with something sweet and turn it into an amazing dessert! YUMMY YUMMY for the TUMMY!

xoxo

Sarah (from See Sarah Eat) June 24, 2010 at 1:43 pm

I busted out laughing at that google search. Quite the compliment! ;-)

Scott in Ohio June 24, 2010 at 2:00 pm

Pretty sure Christina and I BOTH went to the grocery 27 times last month. :-)

One more thing we have in common, huh?

We should definitely pick a city and all move there. Then we could just share trips to the store. :-)

Mary @ Bites and Bliss June 24, 2010 at 2:02 pm

hahaha!! Search terms are so funny sometimes :P I like the “fermented beverage” one, too!

A Teenage Gourmet June 24, 2010 at 2:38 pm

Hahaha! That’s the best, I have some weird ways that people get to my site too. I bought THE GUMS today too, because of you. :)

Heather Eats Almond Butter June 24, 2010 at 2:40 pm

Teenage Gourmet – I hope you enjoy the gums. Let me know what you think!

Emily June 24, 2010 at 2:45 pm

Hahahah. FANTASTIC!!

Kristin (Cook, Bake and Nibble) June 24, 2010 at 2:55 pm

Wow, 27 times? That rivals me :D

And that cake looks delicious- and nutritious! So what if there’s big green chunks :D

Nice ass! haha, awesome :D

xo
Kris

Annie@stronghealthyfit June 24, 2010 at 3:00 pm

That’s hilarious. I wish I could eat whipped cream every day! I love it, but I haven’t been buying it for awhile now bc of all the unnecessary additives in it. I’m determined to make it homemade when I really want it :-) Your b-fast looks delicious.

glutenfreemuse June 24, 2010 at 3:01 pm

I’ve made chocolate pudding with avocado in it before and it was mighty tasty! Way to go!

Kelly June 24, 2010 at 3:08 pm

Haha…nice ass…love it! :)

Aimee June 24, 2010 at 3:08 pm

Hmm 27 grocery trips. You’re preggars and allowed :)
Who knew chocolate cake and ice cream could have such good stats! Looks so tasty.

Katherine: What About Summer? June 24, 2010 at 3:42 pm

Any post with cake as a title and breakfast as a category has to be good. nice ass is going to be searched for a lot more now that you’ve blogged on it :)

Katie June 24, 2010 at 3:50 pm

I’ve made that cake with eggs too and once without it. It is was more grainy when you don’t use the real egg. Nothing beats em (ba-dum, ch – that’s the drum sound after a corny joke…)

Danielle (Runs on Green) June 24, 2010 at 4:49 pm

haha I wonder which post “nice ass” was referring to? :D My favorite search term of all time was “Are farmer’s tans sexy?

I’m loving all the chocolate action in this post. I need to buy some more choc. rice protein!

Heather Eats Almond Butter June 24, 2010 at 5:32 pm

Danielle, I think the Google search referred the searcher to this post: http://heathereatsalmondbutter.com/2009/05/23/carb-on-carb-action/. ;)

petersenplace June 24, 2010 at 4:58 pm

Yum! I think I will be making the chocolate cake tonight and top it on some protein ice cream. I need to buy some more chocolate rice protein powder too from Jay Rob. I wish I could find it in a store, I hate having to pay for shipping.

Katie June 24, 2010 at 5:51 pm

so glad you posted this! I’d tried Katie’s version, but it was too dry… I think I goofed with trying to use real egg instead of the egg powder (I don’t know anything about that stuff, or how to sub for it). Hope to try this soon!

Deb (SmoothieGirlEatsToo) June 24, 2010 at 6:14 pm

OK I SCREAMED with laughter- thank you Heabie!

For CD to say that it’s not that bad is the highest compliment short of “perhaps it won’t make me vomit”. I think yours LOOKS amazing as does Katie’s. I will have to try this- I wish there was a microwave version as yummy! GREAT stats too!

Pure2raw twins June 24, 2010 at 7:28 pm

Both Katie and you always have great recipes!! This chocolate cake looks great. I made avocado ice cream today and added protein powder and it made me think of you ; )

Heather Eats Almond Butter June 25, 2010 at 3:22 am

Pure2Raw, So honored to be thought of, especially when avocado ice-cream is involved. :)

Jae June 24, 2010 at 8:01 pm

haha the nice ass part made me ‘lol’-ed

MarathonVal June 24, 2010 at 8:08 pm

Haha, LOVE that search term!

I also love that you went to the store 27 times in one month…. makes me feel slightly less ashamed for the high frequency which I go to the store, although I’m not pregnant so I don’t have the same excuse ;)

CourtandWhit June 24, 2010 at 8:35 pm

Oh my chocolate, that looks good! That google search is hilarious lol :)
-Court