An Iron Update

by HEAB on June 25, 2010

Yesterday, I met up with my friend Kristin for a little Baja Burrito action.

Yeah, give it up for pregnancy boobies! ;)

I ordered a steak salad and piled it high with veggies, cilantro, tomatillo salsa, tortilla chips, and some guac. Instead of salad dressing, I always ask for a big tub of pico on the side. LOVE fresh pico!

I think there was some steak in there…somewhere.

A month or so ago, my doctor informed me that I was anemic, which totally made sense since I kept getting horrible headaches and felt dizzy all the time. I decided to skip out on the recommended iron pills due to the side effects and took matters into my own hands. I’ve been eating more red meat, fortified cereal, and I’m taking Floradix twice a day. I am no longer dizzy, and I can’t tell you the last time I had a headache. I’m going to get a blood test to check my iron levels in about a week, and I’m anxious to see if my numbers have returned to an acceptable level. All I know is that I feel so much better. So, here’s to more steak and Total Raisin Bran!

Happy Friday to you all. I’ve been up since 3 AM, and I was contemplating an early morning yoga class. However, CD and I are going out tonight with some friends, and I think I should try and get some more sleep. Time for the eye mask. :)

What is your favorite build a burrito/salad type restaurant? As much as I love a good Chipotle fix, the place to go in Nashville is definitely Baja Burrito. My fellow Nashvillians, would you agree?

Brittany June 25, 2010 at 4:31 am

Thanks for the iron update. I actually went to the doctor this week because I think I might be anemic as well. The main symptoms for me are fatigue and bruising…so it could really be anything so we shall see. I’m having a blood test done to make certain, but I’m definitely going to follow some of your eating tips because it’s hard for me as a pescatarian to get enough iron in my diet. Bring on the molasses. :)

Have a great day HEAB!!

Jessica @ How Sweet June 25, 2010 at 4:31 am

I’ve only ever been to Chipotle, but I love it. I can devour a burrito or a bowl!

carolinebee June 25, 2010 at 4:38 am

UM SO i fully missed the memo that you are pregnant?? Heather, Congratulations and I’m sooo sooooo soo sorry I didn’t congratulate you earlier!!!!!!!!!!!! I’m so so so happy for you and I will definitely keep u in my thoughts and prayers!! :D YAY!

Well you also know how I feel about Chipotle, we are very well acquainted…and honestly there is ZERO good mexican food in Boston :( So chipotle holds me over till i can go home and get the real deal! Congrats again heather, xoxo!

Heather Eats Almond Butter June 25, 2010 at 4:46 am

Caroline, Yep, almost 20 weeks prego…about halfway there. I sent you an email a while ago, but it was to an old email address I think? I’m so sorry you never got it. :(

I think of you every time I dine at Chipotle…and then I always crave fro-yo after my steak salads, but sans the sprinkles. ;) So excited for you on tomorrow – will be thinking about you lots!

Anna June 25, 2010 at 4:48 am

Oh man. I am so excited about pregnancy boobs. It will be the first time I have boobs!! :-)

Yummy salad!

I hope your numbers are better when you go back to the doctor!!

hayleycepeda June 25, 2010 at 4:55 am

You look fantastic Heather!! Here’s to lots of meat! :) We went out to a Brazilian restaurant last night where they come around with skewers of meat…Baby C and I had our fair share of iron last night…heheheh. I can’t wait to hear how your results turn out! It sounds as though you’re feeling much better and the changes you made are really helping. I’ll be very pleased to hear that your iron levels have increased, especially because my doctor told me that it’s not possible to up your iron levels through diet alone. It’d be nice to hear he’s wrong! Plus I’m hoping that iron stuff you’re taking is helping, too.

Have a great Friday!

Heather Eats Almond Butter June 25, 2010 at 5:13 am

Hayley, I’ll definitely keep you posted on the iron results. I hope my numbers are up too, but I’m just so grateful to be feeling better!

Heather June 25, 2010 at 4:58 am

Yeah-my hubby misses my preggo tatas! He considers gettin me pg again just for that reason! LOL! He’s kidding of course…..I think ;)
I am SO happy your iron levels are up! Hippocrates was spot on when declaring we should “let food be your medicine and let medicine be your food.”
Looking glowy and gorgeous as always,HEAB :)

Amanda June 25, 2010 at 5:03 am

I really hope the test results show healthy iron levels! I hate how it’s so much harder for women to maintain a healthy iron level. Gr.

I think Moe’s is my favorite burrito place. Chipotle can be a bit spicy and overwhelming when it comes to portions.

Oh yeah, and that salad looks really good, too.

Sarena (The Non-Dairy Queen) June 25, 2010 at 5:35 am

I am so glad you are feeling better and that the iron is helping! We are so with you on the burrito places. We do Moe’s here since it is close, the whole family can eat safely and it is just plane good! I hope you get a little more rest today! Have a great Friday, Heather!

A Teenage Gourmet June 25, 2010 at 5:46 am

I probably need more iron too. . . I feel dizzy often. =/

VeggieGirl June 25, 2010 at 5:46 am

Hope you’re 100% better with the iron and feeling great in general, a.s.a.p.! xo

Holly June 25, 2010 at 6:00 am

so jealous of the boobies! seriously.

and this is making me think – i’ve been dizzy and getting headaches for awhile. last time i was at the dr., i was borderline low iron. perhaps i need to beef it up? literally and figuratively speaking? glad to see you are doing well heabs – can’t wait to meet that cute lil’ punkin growin’ inside ya :)

Heather Eats Almond Butter June 25, 2010 at 7:39 am

Holly, How about some steak and eggs? ;) We can’t wait to meet the little punkin either!

rachael June 25, 2010 at 6:04 am

I do miss my prego boobies . . . Glad you’re feeling better!

Scott in Ohio June 25, 2010 at 6:08 am

Nice work on the Floradix. You’re so great at listening to your body and taking care of it!

Have a great weekend!

Jenna June 25, 2010 at 6:20 am

Chipotle is my go to place around here. Their burrito bowls are killer, and now I kind of want one for lunch!

Heather June 25, 2010 at 6:40 am

i don’t know if this is nation-wide or not, but Qdoba (it’s just like Chipotle) is another amazing burrito/salad place! Plus they have tons of fresh grilled veggies, which i love.

oh, and queso. that’s what we all go there for anyway, right?! ;)

Heather Eats Almond Butter June 25, 2010 at 7:44 am

Heather, We have Qdoba, but I always forget about it…I think that I used to get some kind of pesto sauce on my salads. It was so good as was the queso…why don’t I ever go there anymore?!?

Sarah (from See Sarah Eat) June 25, 2010 at 6:44 am

Man, I wish we had a Chipotle up here, I just need to go to Northern KY (or Tennessee, hehe). But I love me some Qdoba!

Samantha Angela @ Bikini Birthday June 25, 2010 at 6:46 am

Ugh anemia sucks big time. So do iron pills, with all the constipation and whatnot.
Here’s to you getting your iron levels up!

sweetersalt June 25, 2010 at 7:20 am

Though I’m not against using supplements and medicine when necessary, I love the idea of healing ourselves the way nature intended it. Major props! My favorite burrito-type joint would have to El Rayo here in Portland. The fish taco is sooo good – a must go if ever in Maine!

Megan @ The Daily Sweat June 25, 2010 at 7:22 am

I was recently told I’m very anemic too. I am a vegetarian, so I can’t get iron through red meat. My Dr. told me to take a pre natal vitamin (not preggers, but it has iron in it) and an iron supplement and then she’ll test me again in a month. You said there are side effects to an iron supplement? My dr. didn’t tell me of any…could you share? Thanks!

Heather Eats Almond Butter June 25, 2010 at 7:43 am

Megan, My prenatals were making me sick – to the point where I am now taking a children’s chewable vitamin as they are the only multivitamin my stomach seems to tolerate these days. It contains iron, but not enough. Most iron pills will constipate you. I tried taking the slow release ones, and did not poop for 2 days, and I have never had a problem in the poop dept. So, my doctor prescribed a stool softener. I said no thanks and ordered some Floradix. It’s plant based and does not cause constipation. Plus, I really think it’s helping. If you can handle the prenatals, I say try them or the Floradix. Good stuff!

Mae June 25, 2010 at 7:58 am

You are so adorable!! Congrats on the iron…. annnnd I wish I could get pregnancy boobies without a baby. haha sighhh.

homecookedem June 25, 2010 at 8:03 am

Woohoo preggo boobies!! :) Mine still aren’t as big as I’d hoping they’d be, but I still have hope they’ll get bigger. They sure do hurt, that’s for sure!! ;)

So glad you’re feeling better after adding more iron in. I was getting headaches for awhile too, but I’ve added more eggs in my diet and they’ve gotten better. I think my problem was not enough protein.

Love to you and Little Heablet! :)

Heather Eats Almond Butter June 25, 2010 at 8:05 am

Em, Be patient, the boobies will come. ;)

SoloSzabi June 25, 2010 at 8:15 am

Ohh my God! :)
Nice ass yesterday( It wasn’t me, I swear…. ) , boobies today….

Unfortunately only one good burito restaurant in London, the Whole Foods one. After your yesterday grocery shopping post I checked my statement… No comment!:) I blame the daily 4500-7000 burned calories and the lots of sport!

Stacie @ Imperfectly Healthy June 25, 2010 at 8:16 am

I’m so glad you’re feeling better! :) Your salad is making my mouth water – not really good since it’s only 10 am!

DiningAndDishing June 25, 2010 at 8:17 am

I LOVE Mixt Greens, which is a build your own salad place. It’s so fresh, light and the service is always great. Plus, the presentation is beautiful!!

- Beth @ http://www.DiningAndDishing.com

Annie D. @ Annie's Simple Life June 25, 2010 at 8:21 am

That salad looks fantastic!!!!!!!

And nice boobies by the way! LMAO!

Whitney June 25, 2010 at 8:59 am

Yes! I think Baja Burrito is the best…although I haven’t tried any others so maybe my opinion shouldn’t count :) Looking forward to seeing you tonight!

Heather Eats Almond Butter June 25, 2010 at 11:23 am

Whitney, Yes, so excited about a night out with friends! :)

Meg June 25, 2010 at 9:09 am

You should really share your boobies with the less fortunate over heerrre, haha. You two are beautiful! Hooray for steak and Raisin Bran! Glad the dizziness and headaches are no longer an issue :)

Happy Friday, Heather!

Katie June 25, 2010 at 9:42 am

I can’t tell you how happy I am for you that you are feeling so much better! I just ate a salad like that a couple nights ago, but chicken not steak. I love salads like that at Mexican restaurants. Big blob of guac and pico dressing…it is just so summery and light, yet filling! I may have to make some tonight for dinner too.

Looking good, mama!

ashley June 25, 2010 at 9:54 am

LOL!!! “pregnancy boobies” You look so pretty! I am still a sucker for Chipotle. We live by one where they try out new products too…which is exciting. We now have brown rice, a new + better salsa, and they even are serving Gardein as an option…Oh! And they have a veggie posole soup that is delicious! :) Hope you get some rest!

Run Sarah June 25, 2010 at 9:58 am

SO glad you are feeling better and here is hoping that your iron levels have popped up! I’ve been a bit reluctant to take iron supplements as well although I suspect my levels are low, so I’ve made an effort to try and increase my intake of iron rich foods as we ll.

Nicole June 25, 2010 at 9:59 am

I love Chipotle’s but I’ve never been to Baja Burrito.
BTW you look amazing. Where did your belly go? You don’t even look pregnant in this picture!
Hope you get some more sleep so you can hang tonight! <3

Heather Eats Almond Butter June 25, 2010 at 11:30 am

Nicole, The HEABlet decided to settle in my boobs yesterday…kind of wish he/she would stay there. ;) I don’t know – that belly comes and goes, and so when it’s around these days, I think it’s mostly just bloat. Sending speedy vibes your way this weekend. Please text me after your half and let me know how it went.

BroccoliHut June 25, 2010 at 10:07 am

Haha, love your boobie comment. I guess if I want some ta-tas all I have to do is get pregnant?
I love Chipotle’s guacamole, but I prefer Moe’s Southwest because they offer tofu as a “meat component.”

Kelsey @ CleanTeenKelsey June 25, 2010 at 10:32 am

I love Chipotle, but my favorite burrito place is for SURE Cafe Rio. It’s the best in the worlddd. <3

By the way, I forgot to tell you how much I loved your video the other day! It was a big help. I have plans to make protein ice cream as soon as I can get some xanthan/guar gum. Thanks again. :)

Heather Eats Almond Butter June 25, 2010 at 11:28 am

Kelsey, You’re welcome. Hope you find some gums soon!

glutenfreemuse June 25, 2010 at 10:39 am

Neat little tip (I rarely eat at Chipotle or Qdoba, our 2 CSprings choices), Chipotle has Gluten Free Options! Qdoba does not, we don’t have a Baja Burrito, so I can’t say there.

If you come back to CSprings next summer, I must recommend Salsa Brava or Sonterra Grill. They are sister restaurants and have AMAZING mexican food. It is more of a CaliMex and they both have GF menus. Delish! Happy Nap time!

~Alyssa

Heather Eats Almond Butter June 25, 2010 at 11:27 am

Glutenfreemuse, I didn’t that know that Chipotle had gluten free options – so cool, and if you’re ever in Nashville, I’ll take you to Baja Burrito where we can go to town on corn tortillas. :)

mapledreams June 25, 2010 at 10:47 am

Glad you are feeling much better! i got my iron levels checked last week and apparantly they are way below normal so i’m going to have to go back on to iron tablets! i hated the side effects so much! they almost made me MORE tired and bunged up my insides so much it was horrid!! looks like i’ll need to chow down lots of red meat if i don’t want to go back on them though!
xx

Emily June 25, 2010 at 11:01 am

Baja is hands down the best burrito/mexican salad joint in town (quite possibly this side of the Mississippi River)!

KC June 25, 2010 at 11:05 am

Totally agree, pico is a delicious alternative!

Kelsey June 25, 2010 at 11:11 am

it makes sense why i was always a steak and potatoes girl. i had really bad anemia that was SO terrible on a vegan diet. i tried everything to balance it and believed i could find a way to avoid animal products and keep my iron levels high… since i saw some vegans were able to do this. for me, nope. and when it comes to health (and in ur case the health of another living being) its not even a question on what u need to do asap to keep ur body healthy. :)

xoxo <3

Heather Eats Almond Butter June 25, 2010 at 11:24 am

Thanks for the support Kelsey, and kudos to you for listening to your body!

Averie (LoveVeggiesAndYoga) June 25, 2010 at 11:23 am

you’re totally glowing!!! Omg hair, skin, nails, breasts…you are a radiant pregnant woman! I love it!! You just look like the Vision of Health and Bliss..totally serious, you just GLOW off the page! Guess the iron and everything else is working and falling into place :)

xo

Heather Eats Almond Butter June 25, 2010 at 11:36 am

Thanks Averie. :)

Lara (Thinspired) June 25, 2010 at 11:30 am

I need to get me some pregnancy boobies! Hmm…how can I get them without actually getting pregnant? ;)

You know I love Chipotle. I think Baja Burrito looks like a stiff competitor. I love steak salad bowls with salsa “dressing”! Does BB offer brown rice? That is one thing I wish Chipotle would do!

Heather Eats Almond Butter June 25, 2010 at 11:37 am

Lara, Yes, Baja Burrito does serve brown rice, and I hear that Chipotle does now as well!

L @ Whole Wheat Or Bust! June 25, 2010 at 11:44 am

I am really excited to hear if your iron levels are back up!! And your pregnancy glow and shiny hair are absolutely lovely.

Heather Eats Almond Butter June 25, 2010 at 11:57 am

Thanks L! :)

saltytooth June 25, 2010 at 11:58 am

I like Qdoba, but I’m not in love with it. We don’t have many burrito options in Milwaukee. Kind of a bummer.

peacebeme June 25, 2010 at 12:34 pm

Chipotle has my heart. I remember when the first one opened in Denver when I was in high school. I remember when I was a 16-year old cross country runner and had a metabolism that was off the charts, we used to go there ALL the time and I could eat a whole burrito plus some. :)

However, I did go to Baja Burrito when I lived in Nashville and when I lived in Virginia Beach for awhile, very good as well. :)

Quix June 25, 2010 at 1:05 pm

Mmm, love me some chipotle (barbacoa tacos…) but we have a few local places that do great salads or burritos that don’t have more calories than a normal human should eat in a day… I LOVE fresh pico as well, salsa is a great salad dressing… :)

Kendall June 25, 2010 at 1:13 pm

Oh the glorious Burrito, one of my very favorite foods. Lets see, I consider this region a Burrito mecca. In Bellingham, where I went to college the burrito joints were where I hung out. In Seattle, there are a zillion awesome ones but one to note is Gorditos, where they say their burritos are the size of a 9 lb. baby and if you bring yours in you get a free one. My friends just had a preemie so they had to wait longer until he reached 9 lb. and then they got their free one! Definitely go there intending to share between 2 people! I also love a good deconstructed one, or burrito salad like yours above, which looks to die for!!

Katherine: What About Summer? June 25, 2010 at 2:01 pm

these restaurants have caused families to split and break apart (slight exaggeration). In my high school it was Moes v. Willys. Chipolte is starting to move in to town, too. People have a tendency to feel really strongly which restaurant is their favorite! I love any one that will give me guac

Kelly June 25, 2010 at 2:03 pm

So funny about pregnancy boobies! For me, that would definitely be a perk! haha!

Heather @ Get Healthy With Heather June 25, 2010 at 2:08 pm

Chipotle all the way! I always get pico de gallo instead of dressing there too.

Mary @ Bites and Bliss June 25, 2010 at 2:13 pm

Nice, a Baja Burrito just opened up here last month. I havent given it a try yet but now I might have to knowing it’s you’re favorite one!

Lynn June 25, 2010 at 2:56 pm

Here we really only have a few Casa Cafe’s (kinda generic mexican restaurant) and a Qdoba’s..again kinda generic. Not much authentic stuff around these parts.
Side note:Heather, I always love your clothes! I think you should do a post dedicated to your closet. You have a style very similar to mine. Loving those pants(Assuming they are pants….skirt?) Whatever it is, it’s so hippie-chic. Glowing preggers girlie! Love it! :)

Heather Eats Almond Butter June 25, 2010 at 3:03 pm

Thanks so much Lynn – I love those pants too. My friend brought them back from Thailand. Oh my gosh, so comfortable!

carolynmreardon June 25, 2010 at 3:49 pm

You are looking radiant during your pregnancy! Can’t wait for the little Heablet!

Heather Eats Almond Butter June 25, 2010 at 4:41 pm

Thanks Carolyn…we can’t wait either! :)

Kristy June 25, 2010 at 4:01 pm

post-preggo boobies are not quite as fun. Enjoy them while they last!

Pure2Raw Twins June 25, 2010 at 6:29 pm

Yay for feeling better and taking your health into your own hands. That is what I am trying to do as well. I have not been feeling the best lately, but I got my blood work done and everything is fine. Though I am extremely low in Vita D, so I am trying to increase my intake and be outside in the sun more! Excited to hear about your iron results. HUGS

Heather Eats Almond Butter June 25, 2010 at 7:38 pm

Pure2Raw, My vitamin D levels were borderline about 2 years ago, and ever since then I’ve been taking these LiquiD3 drops. I take 3 drops a day or 6,000 iu’s a day, and my levels have remained at a good number ever since: https://www.emersonecologics.com/Products/EmersonMain/PID-LIQ20.aspx

T. Smith June 25, 2010 at 7:56 pm

Hey!…thanks for the props!…glad u enjoyed the salad. As far as the question of “who is the best?”, I think your out of town friends are missing out…there is but 1 Baja Burrito by the way. As far as the “prego-boobs” go…no comment, but as a father of three…I sure miss those days!…ha ha…take care!

Heather Eats Almond Butter June 25, 2010 at 8:29 pm

Haha – thanks Troy. Always happy to spread the Baja Burrito love! Oh, and Chris says “Hi”. Enjoy your weekend!

Mama Pea June 25, 2010 at 8:26 pm

Give it up for pregnancy boobies!!! Wait until you see breastfeeding boobies! You could put someone’s eye out.

Maren June 25, 2010 at 8:31 pm

Chipotle is by far the best chain, but you can never go wrong with a down home and authentic taqueria!

Chocolate Coated Runner June 26, 2010 at 1:09 am

Looks tasty ;)

Felicia June 27, 2010 at 5:18 pm

wait a sec, where did your belly go? did you have that baby already and not tell us?! hahaha you totally can’t tell here! and woohoo on the boobies, can’t wait to get some when im preggy hahaha :)

Heather Eats Almond Butter June 28, 2010 at 7:19 am

Felicia, I know, that belly has a mind of its own. Some days it’s large and in charge, and other days, I’m all boobs. :)