Early Morning Biscuits

by HEAB on June 27, 2010

Last Sunday, CD and I went out to brunch with my family for Father’s Day.

I fixed myself a big plate of breakfast foods…

201006270701.jpg

Growing up, one of my favorite restaurants was Cracker Barrel, and my favorite part of the meal was the basket of warm biscuits they would bring to the table as soon as we sat down. I would slather mine in apple butter, and there was nothing like it. So, last week, I did something I hadn’t done in years. I ate a biscuit, and I’ve been thinking about that darn biscuit ever since!

This morning, I got out of bed at 5:15 AM and decided it was time to take action, and look what happen to be in our cabinet…

Screen shot 2010-06-27 at 7.08.36 AM.png

I bought a box of Bisquick a while back to make some chicken pot pie, and honestly, I’ve been avoiding the stuff ever since. I’m really not quite sure what is so Heart Smart about it, but whatever. I wanted biscuits, and the recipe on the back of the box for drop biscuits could not have been simpler! I stirred together 1/3 cup of the Bisquick with about an 1/8 cup unsweetened almond milk. I then formed 2 small biscuits, baked them in a 450° oven for 9 minutes, and slathered them in apple butter just like old times.

So, I have no waffles or pancakes for you this Sunday, but I must say that the recipes for both on the back of the Bisquick box are sounding better and better! ;)

I’m now sitting here waiting for Target to open so that I can go purchase the supplies necessary to make my own laundry detergent. Yep, feeling rather domestic today.

Favorite Bisquick recipe you’d like to share?

VeggieGirl June 27, 2010 at 6:36 am

Used to LOVE Bisquick biscuits!

Heather Eats Almond Butter June 27, 2010 at 6:51 am

VeggieGirl and Sarena, According to the Bisquick website, they are coming out with a gluten free mix this summer. ;)

Sarena (The Non-Dairy Queen) June 27, 2010 at 6:42 am

Oh the Almighty biscuit! I have so many memories with these little pillows of happiness! My grandmother made them every morning every time we were there. We would all sit on the counter and watch and wait. Some people in the family even liked them raw. Me, not so much. I waited for the crisp golden outside and the soft puffy insides! I have been craving them and missing her so much lately. As a kid, we would take King syrup and butter and mix it up to did our biscuits in. It made a smooth caramel like dip for our biscuits. Ugh, what are you doing to me with this pregnancy? Now I need biscuits and King Syrup!

Ok, can’t wait to see what you come up with on the laundry detergent front! Have a great Sunday!

Heather Eats Almond Butter June 27, 2010 at 6:49 am

Sarena, *Little pillows of happiness* – perfect description! :)

Dana June 27, 2010 at 6:48 am

My boyfriend LOVE The Cracker Barrel. I didnt know they existed until I started dating him. I guess they dont have them up north? Anyway, he brought me there once and it was a challenge to find something remotely healthy to eat.. But it was for him not me ;)

Dana <3

Heather Eats Almond Butter June 27, 2010 at 6:56 am

Dana, You’re a good girlfriend. :)

Evan Thomas June 27, 2010 at 6:54 am

Last month I tried making gluten free biscuits. They were flat, but they were buttery, and that was all I needed

eatmovelove June 27, 2010 at 7:14 am

This is so great!

…and making your own laundry detergent…I’d love to hear about this one!

Megan @ The Oatmeal Diaries June 27, 2010 at 7:17 am

Love the food captions! I totally would have stolen the mushroom too.
And nothing goes better on biscuits than apple butter!! Well, except maybe butter & honey… :)

rebecca lustig June 27, 2010 at 7:22 am

whoaa, making your own laundry detergent?! talk about going green, haha.

p.s. my dad LOVESSS cracker barrel. he makes us stop on the highways whenever we pass a sign for one.

Heather June 27, 2010 at 7:26 am

We made our own laundry soap for a long time :) kinda fun-especially when you can involve the kid(s).
We’ve been pretty lax about it lately though :( Really should get back at it.
The biscuits DO look good :)

Heather June 27, 2010 at 7:34 am

oh man, i can’t even begin to describe how much i like cracker barrel’s biscuits!!! my favorite bisquick recipe has got to be sausage balls…a container of sausage, a buch of cheese and some bisquick! roll ‘em up and bake ‘em off :)

Heather Eats Almond Butter June 27, 2010 at 8:54 am

Heather, Ha, I can’t even begin to describe how much I like sausage balls! If they are ever served at a party, I can’t stop popping them in my mouth!

Frugal 'n' Fit! June 27, 2010 at 7:58 am

It doesn’t get any better than biscuits! That should be a slogan on something :)

Fervent Foodie June 27, 2010 at 8:01 am

Those biscuits look delicious! I made some bisquick waffles the other week with 1/3 cup bisquick, 1/2 unsweetened almond milk, 1 egg white. They actually turned out pretty good! (I’m sure the strawberries and syrup helped though :) )

hayleycepeda June 27, 2010 at 8:10 am

WOW…that seriously couldn’t be simpler! Now that I have a box myself I’m thinking I might have to do the same thing. :) YUM!

Courtney (Pancakes & Postcards) June 27, 2010 at 8:11 am

those look delicious! I have actually never used bisquick for anything but pancakes, which I now realize is a tragedy. I cannot wait to try biscuits.

Hallie June 27, 2010 at 8:12 am

My boyfriend’s mom has a recipe for strawberry shortcake and she uses Bisquick to make the shortcake part…they don’t taste like regular biscuits, so I think you’d have to Google it to find the recipe, but it’s really good! She alternates between that and white (boxed) cake when she makes it, and I really prefer the Bisquick-style “shortcake”!

Kelly June 27, 2010 at 8:13 am

I love biscuits! They beat out pancakes and waffles anyday in my book! Growing up we had them ALL the time. I guess that is why I gravitate towards them. When all the other moms made pancakes on Sundays mine made biscuits….YUM!

Kayla June 27, 2010 at 8:16 am

Thats funny everyone loves biscuits so much! I have always disliked them because I find them dry and tasteless. Maybe I’ve just never had a good one? love the picture of you and your family!

Heather Eats Almond Butter June 27, 2010 at 8:52 am

Kayla, Oh wow, you need to get down to the South and try a real homemade biscuit. Hope you do someday…It would totally be worth a road trip. ;)

Gina June 27, 2010 at 8:20 am

My favorite Bisquick recipe – which, come to think of it, I haven’t made in ages – is for the cheese biscuits they serve at Red Lobster. Yummy~!

Mary @ Bites and Bliss June 27, 2010 at 8:22 am

Good to know I’m not the only one who dreams about biscuits :)

Brynne June 27, 2010 at 8:54 am

Love that you stole a portobello from the carving station! Hahaha

Heather Eats Almond Butter June 27, 2010 at 8:56 am

Brynne, it was too tempting not to – that mushroom cap was just calling my name. :)

Jessica @ How Sweet June 27, 2010 at 9:07 am

Make your own detergent?! I’m so intrigued!

kelsey@snackingsquirrel.com June 27, 2010 at 9:08 am

i love how u had ‘biscuit’ on the brain haha. its so true tho, cuz once u have a really good one whether its homemade or when ur at a restaurant/cafe, or just someone else’s place.. if its REALLY good, its something u cant stop thinking about. and all the others just dont seem to compare.

Mara @ What's For Dinner? June 27, 2010 at 9:22 am

Biscuits are totally my weakness… there’s a breakfast place up here (where we’ll go when you come visit again) that has quite possibly, the best biscuits EVER. And cinnamon rolls made with their biscuit dough. Yeah.

I don’t really use bisquick, but I did make a wicked good cobbler once…

ashley June 27, 2010 at 9:28 am

Ooooh, make your own laundry detergent?? That sounds awesome…I made my own cleaning products about 3 months ago and have not bought one single cleaning product since. They were so so easy and so so cheap! The all-purpose vinegar/water/lemon cleaner works better than any other cleaner I’ve used! mmmm….biscuits….

Danielle June 27, 2010 at 9:33 am

It’s awesome that you’re making your own cleaning products. Especially with a baby on the way, it can never hurt to get all those toxic chemicals out of the house. I make my own laundry detergent and it works just as well as store bought. It also saves a ton of money!

Anna June 27, 2010 at 9:33 am

Yummmm….my dad used to make biscuits every Sunday, so they always remind me of him :-)

Jenn (GH) June 27, 2010 at 9:48 am

My grandma is from the south and makes the best biscuits and gravy ever. I, however, don’t think I have ever made a biscuit myself.

Ann Claire June 27, 2010 at 9:57 am

All of your biscuits look really yummy! I don’t think I really have a favorite Bisquick recipe but you’re making me want to make some Bisquick biscuits!

Amy June 27, 2010 at 10:05 am

Heather,

Thank you for the tip on the gluten free biscuits coming out!
I’m gluten free and following your blogs lost 8 pounds the first week!

Heather Eats Almond Butter June 27, 2010 at 10:07 am

Amy, Congrats on your weight loss – that’s awesome! :)

mapledreams June 27, 2010 at 10:08 am

I’ve never made anything with Bisquick i don’t think but your biscuits look incredibly yummy!! i love the fact that you “stole” a mushroom from the carvery section! hahaha you go girl;) xx

Sarah R June 27, 2010 at 10:16 am

My mom’s signature breakfast when we are home: bisquick biscuits, scrambled eggs and some type of breakfast sausage. Bisquick biscuits will always remind me of my mom.

Meg June 27, 2010 at 10:24 am

If it makes your heart smile, it’s heart smart ;)

Enjoy your Sunday!

p.s. mushroom thief!

Danielle (Runs on Green) June 27, 2010 at 10:38 am

That Bisquick is “heart smart” because the other biscuit has trans fat in it! I would know because I made my family switch :D

Heather Eats Almond Butter June 27, 2010 at 2:42 pm

Danielle, Oh, okay, got it – thanks!

A Teenage Gourmet June 27, 2010 at 10:39 am

Haha, I made pancakes this Sunday to follow your lead, and look what happened! I have lots of buttermilk though. . . biscuits sound like a natural. :)

Heather Eats Almond Butter June 27, 2010 at 2:59 pm

A Teenage Gourmet, I agree – buttermilk biscuits are the way to go! Hope you enjoyed your pancakes. :)

Ilana June 27, 2010 at 11:21 am

ohhhh man. have not had biscuits in faaarrrrr too long!

homecookedem June 27, 2010 at 11:47 am

Growing up in the south you KNOW I’ve had my share of biscuits, haha! ;) I wouldn’t touch them with a 10 ft. pole though for a span of about 5 years b/c I was afraid of them. I’m so glad I’m over that silliness b/c they just make my soul so happy. Great idea to use that bisquick mix to make a healthier version. I will have to try that sometime soon!! :)

kathleen June 27, 2010 at 11:58 am

my dad used to make pancakes for us from bisquick. haven’t had any in years. that takes me back!

mama June 27, 2010 at 1:34 pm

im 8 weeks pg too and completely nauseous at anything healthy! It’s so unlike me to only want salty fast food and junk but when you feel like this ya gotta go with what you can stomach to eat! Its nice to see you branch out too of those silly rules, i know i have them too! Maybe i’ll go make some biscuits too….!

Heather Eats Almond Butter June 27, 2010 at 2:59 pm

Mama, Many congrats. Oh my goodness – 8 weeks. That was not a good time for me. Literally, about all I could eat was cereal, Pop Tarts, and hot dogs. Hehe…well, I’m still eating all of those minus the Pop Tarts. Just something about those hot dogs. You’ll be feeling better soon, and if it makes you feel any better, I still can’t handle many greens. Spinach and romaine are okay since I don’t have to smell them cooking, but no broccoli or Brussles sprouts have been cooked in our kitchen for about 5 months! Again, many congrats and just eat whatever you can right now (biscuits included!)…worry about the nutrition later. :)

foodiefresh June 27, 2010 at 1:37 pm

I just like to make good ol’ pancakes with Bisquick mix. But I agree with you on the “Heart Smart”. I hate bogus claims on food boxes. Sometimes I want to laugh and then I think about all the people who actually buy things because of what it says on the label and that just makes me a little perturbed at the companies who make these claims.

Natalie June 27, 2010 at 1:49 pm

We have the same box in our fridge – I bought it in the winter to do a crockpot recipe for my husband and have used it once for pancakes.. blah

Averie (LoveVeggiesAndYoga) June 27, 2010 at 1:59 pm

Amanda Soule, fellow unschooling/homeschooling mama. Cloth diapering, baby wearing, domestic goddess extrodinaire. Love her. Very familiar w/ her via the homeschooling community.

I’ve made my own laundry deterg before. Also, Charlie’s is good. Very close to homemade if you dont want to make your own or you’re in a jam. For cloth diapers though, if that’s the route your going, the whole laundry situation needs to be carefully planned as some diapers don’t “Get along” with certain elements in certain detergents. But that’s a whole ‘nuter convo to have down the road :)

xo

Heather Eats Almond Butter June 27, 2010 at 2:54 pm

Averie, That’s what my birthing instructor said. She recommended the Planet Detergent for cloth diaper washing…said homemade detergents would not work with Bum Genius. :)

Carolyn June 27, 2010 at 2:26 pm
Heather Eats Almond Butter June 27, 2010 at 2:53 pm

Carolyn, That sounds amazing.

Justine June 27, 2010 at 2:27 pm

I found out a few years ago that the amazing waffles that my Meme is pretty much famous for (among everything else that she makes) are non-other than from bisquick. As surprised as I was, they still tasted fantastic!

Caroline June 27, 2010 at 3:16 pm

MM..I know biscuits rock but I keep zooming in on the portabella mushroom :) Anyway, Bisquick was the star of many of my favorite childhood memories, including biscuits, pancake w/syrup dinners, and my favorite…dumplings on top of Mom’s beef stew. Nothing like a good dumpling with a crispy brown top, a wet, beefy bottom, and a fluffy, soft, sweet middle.

Heather Eats Almond Butter June 27, 2010 at 3:24 pm

Caroline, Agreed!

marshell y. Roper June 27, 2010 at 4:41 pm

When I was a little girl, my grandmother would make buttermilk biscuits every Sunday morning before church. Just the smell of those biscuits would wake the everyone up.

By the way Hearther,…How is cutting back on the grocery shopping thing going? Waiting for a store to open….mmmmmmh huh!! Oh, or was it only on foods?LOL

Heather Eats Almond Butter June 27, 2010 at 4:47 pm

Shell, Cutting back on grocery store trips only…Target doesn’t count. ;)

Katie June 27, 2010 at 4:47 pm

Bisquik is the only mix my mom ever used growing up, and I swear, there isnt a bad recipe out there with that stuff in it. I’ve got a recipe for peanut butter cookies using that mix that is super fast and easy. Let me know if you want it!

Did I hear something about gluten free Bisquik?!?!

Heather Eats Almond Butter June 27, 2010 at 4:48 pm

Katie, Yep, according to the Bisquick website, they are coming out with a gluten free mix this summer…and I would love the peanut butter cookie recipe…but please DON’T send it. ;)

brittac June 27, 2010 at 5:48 pm

So its not a bisquick recipe…but I have a brownie pancake recipe that I definately want to share : http://brittac.wordpress.com/about/brownie-batter-pancakes-gluten-free/

its my new fav.

Jill Shelley June 27, 2010 at 6:16 pm

I’m not a Bisquick fan, but I have to say the Heart Smart version tastes so much better!

Randi June 27, 2010 at 7:12 pm

Heather, wow! Are you still wearing your pre-pregnancy jeans in that picture?!! I’m so jealous. I haven’t worn mine since 14 weeks! Biscuits sound so so so so good. I want some now. ;)

Heather Eats Almond Butter June 28, 2010 at 7:59 am

Randi, Yes, but my jeans were too big for me. CD is like*, Wow, your jeans actually fit…I can’t see your crack*. ;)

missyrayn June 27, 2010 at 7:33 pm

I make this pizza bake thing with it and it is truly delicious and filling.

Katie June 27, 2010 at 7:48 pm

I second the request that I’d like to hear about what you put in your laundry detergent – interesting. I looooooved Bisquick pancakes as a girl – I still think they are the fluffiest. On Saturday mornings I would pretend I was the star of my own cooking show, and talk the viewers through making pancakes. Once I even cracked the egg into a small bowl ahead of time so I could just dump it in “like they do on TV” :)

Now I usually use Whole Foods or Henry’s dry multigrain pancake mix as a base, add in flax meal and almond meal and then wet ingredients. This morning I did Pancake Sunday (blueberry pancakes) and thought of you. :) My husband is the real pancake chef in our family though (he was sleeping in), so this morning’s pancakes were a bit, um, odd. Ok they were flat out ugly. But they tasted good. :)

Heather Eats Almond Butter June 28, 2010 at 7:58 am

Katie, Click on the link to the detergent recipe in my post for the ingredients. It turned out great! Oh, and there is nothing wrong with flat and ugly pancakes – it’s the taste that really matters! :)

Sarah June 27, 2010 at 7:51 pm

I had to laugh-I saw soulemama’s blog post about laundry detergent, and made some that day, too. It’s absolutely wonderful. I’m a massage therapist, too, and it does wonders with my oil stained sheets.
I’m about 3 months pregnant-heavily nesting as exemplified by the laundry detergent. Yours is the only food blog I still read constantly.

Heather Eats Almond Butter June 28, 2010 at 7:54 am

Sarah, Too funny. Yes, I am loving the detergent! Chris got home from a long run in the heat and humidity, and I immediately made him strip down so that I could wash his clothes. They came out completely clean and with zero odor. I was quite impressed. Congrats on your little one…I hope you’re feeling good! Love, Heather

Sara @ Nourish and Flourish June 28, 2010 at 12:19 am

Oooh I LOVELOVELOVE biscuits!! And I also love Bisquick! It brings back memories of my childhood…My mom used to make pancakes, casseroles and strawberry shortcakes out of the stuff. If it had Bisquick in it, I liked it!

Back to those shortcakes…I’d have to say they are best Bisquick concoction I’m aware of. :-)

ladybugbeauty June 28, 2010 at 5:26 am

can you explain to me what you call a biscuit… to me a biscuit is what you call a cookie…. a scone? a bun?

Heather Eats Almond Butter June 28, 2010 at 7:46 am

Ladybugbeauty, In the States, a biscuit is sort of like a scone, but not as dry and are not sweet. I found this info on the Internet for you:

*The answer is an interesting buffet of linguistics, history, and technology. The original term “biscuit” derives from the Latin “bis coctus,” or “twice baked.” Ancient Roman armies were issued **biscuitsas part of their rations. Hardtack, ships biscuit, rusk and mandelbrot descend from this culinary lineage. Advances in technology permitted a wider range of biscuit products. Small cakes and delicate wafers were gradually added to the family of biscuits. In most English-speaking countries, the traditional definition of biscuit remains. In the United States the term “biscuit” was reassigned to denote a small, soft, quick-leavened bread product served piping hot. It generally accompanied meals in lieu of bread. About **American bisc*uits.

Stacie @ Imperfectly Healthy June 28, 2010 at 7:51 am

I LOVE biscuits! My grandparents would make biscuits and gravy any time we stayed over at their house. I wasn’t much a fan of the gravy part, but I loved the biscuits! Yum!

nikkionlunch June 28, 2010 at 8:11 am

Ha! CD’s classy tactics make me chuckle whenever you post them. :) *grins*

Hmm, I know I’ve had great Bisquick recipes before, but I’m blanking on all of them except the cheesy biscuit recipe that is take off of the Red Lobster biscuits. It’s on the bigger Bisquik boxes and basically you just sub cheese in for a little less bisquik, I think.

Heather Eats Almond Butter June 28, 2010 at 8:16 am

Thanks Nikki – loved those little biscuits! :)

Ozlem June 29, 2010 at 7:52 am

You dont even look pregnant in this photo!! :) I wish I looked like that when I was pregnant. So cute, still in the 7 jeans?? BTW I just ordered my first ever pair!!! Waiting for them to arrive. Take care! Rub the belly for me.

Heather Eats Almond Butter June 29, 2010 at 8:07 am

Ozlen, Yes, still in the 7′s, but bought some maternity jeans online at the GAP since they were having a sale. Oh my gosh – so comfy and with that big belly band…no crackage! Ha, if only I had discovered maternity jeans years ago. ;)

Hope you like your new jeans!

Bekah June 29, 2010 at 11:50 am

Mama protein always made homemade pancakes growing up (with whole wheat flour and soy milk mind you) and while I loved them, I always liked my friends’ mom’s pancakes and waffles more. My mom would always ask if they were homemade, to which I replied yes, knowing full well EVERYONE’S families used Bisquick. But honestly- they taste so darn good! It didn’t help my mom’s case that her homemade one’s were flat and brown. Let’s just say I must’ve piled on tonss of butter and maple syrup. :)

Those biscuits look good though! You know what’s bomb on biscuits? (we tried this in my America’s class) sweet potato butter! SO tasty.

Heather Eats Almond Butter June 29, 2010 at 12:16 pm

Beeks, I love sweet potato butter – they sell it at my Whole Foods, but you know what’s even better? Kabocha butter! I started making my own last summer – need to make some again soon. It would be amazing on Bisquick Biscuits! ;)

Chasing the Now July 2, 2010 at 6:12 pm

On the original Bisquick box there’s a fab recipe for garlic cheese biscuits. I think they taste just as good as the ones served at Red Lobster! :)

Heather Eats Almond Butter July 2, 2010 at 6:15 pm

Chasing the Now, That’s what I hear. Loved those little biscuits back in the day!