Homemade Detergent With A Side Of Steak

by HEAB on June 28, 2010

Morning. Happy Monday my friends! Yesterday’s laundry detergent experiment was a success! Inspired by Soule Mama’s post, I purchased the following ingredients…

I found the Borax, baking soda, and Dr. Bronner’s peppermint soap at Target, and I found the washing soda at Kroger, a grocery store here in Nashville. I mixed 1 cup of each of the powders with 1 and 1/2 bars of finely grated soap.

Chris came home from a long run, and I immediately made him strip down so that I could wash his sweaty running shirt and shorts…really, I just wanted to wash his clothes. ;)

Since I only had to use 1/8 cup for an entire load, this detergent should last me a while, and I’m so excited because it worked really well.

So, after doing laundry and some more cleaning, I felt a headache starting to come on for the 2nd day in a row. It has been weeks since I’ve had any headaches, and Chris pointed out that I hadn’t really been eating as much red meat as I had been when my headaches went away. Therefore, I decided to thaw out our last grass fed finished steak and fry it up for breakfast this morning.

I fried the steak in a little ghee and some Celtic Sea salt and served it atop a bed of wilted spinach and crumbled goat cheese. So tasty, and I’m definitely going to stop by the farmer’s market this week and restock our meat supply.

OK, off to my favorite yoga class. I am in major need of some Cat/Cow action!

Enjoy your day. :)

Heather (Perspective Is Everything) June 28, 2010 at 8:48 am

Yay! that’s the same kind of laundry soap we make :) Kinda makes you feel all pioneer-womanish, doesn’t it :D
Hope you can take care of those headaches the “Hippocrates” way ;)
Have a great day, Heather!

Annie D. @ Annie's Simple Life June 28, 2010 at 8:51 am

I think that’s what Christina uses to wash, too! Great idea!

Jessica @ How Sweet June 28, 2010 at 8:52 am

Wow that is so cool! I need to try making my own detergent. That is something I would have never even thought of.

Heather @ Get Healthy With Heather June 28, 2010 at 9:01 am

That’s pretty cool that you made your own detergent! I made my own cleaning solution for the shower and wasn’t too impressed with the recipe I found. More work needs to go into that for sure.

Sarena (The Non-Dairy Queen) June 28, 2010 at 9:03 am

Dontcha just love being aware of what foods work well with your body? I love knowing what will help me feel more energized or what will relax me. I hope your head feels better today!

saltytooth June 28, 2010 at 9:04 am

My husband is a runner and has a lot of laundry, I will definitely have to try out homemade detergent!

Kristin June 28, 2010 at 9:05 am

when i switched from chemical-free detergents i found soap nuts. http://stores.greenvirginproducts.com/StoreFront.bok LOVE them!

Heather Eats Almond Butter June 28, 2010 at 12:00 pm

Cool, thanks Kristin. I’ll check out the soap nuts link as I’m not familiar with them.

Carrie June 28, 2010 at 9:05 am

Oh cool, I’ll have to try this, I’m sure line-dried laundry washed with this would smell amazing. I am a little hesitant to wash my delicates with anything peppermint, though, if you catch my drift :)

Heather Eats Almond Butter June 28, 2010 at 11:50 am

Carrie, I know exactly what you mean…whenever I use the Bronner’s peppermint soap in the shower, I’m tingly…everywhere! ;)

missyrayn June 28, 2010 at 9:07 am

My friend Chelle makes her own washing detergent and makes me think I want to try. But right now I don’t have time.

I love that you specified you just wanted to wash CD’s clothes. So funny!

sweetersalt June 28, 2010 at 9:18 am

I love this idea! I have super sensitive skin, so I’ll definitely have to give it a try.

Anna June 28, 2010 at 9:35 am

Hey Heather– I have a question for you! I am really thinking about getting my nose pierced tomorrow…I was wondering– when you got yours done, how long did it stay red? I’m meeting up with my family on Thursday, and I don’t want it to be all red and gross the first time they see it :-)

I LOVE the idea of this homemade laundry detergent. Thanks for sharing!

Heather Eats Almond Butter June 28, 2010 at 11:58 am

Anna, So fun – I loved my little nose stud! I really don’t remember it staying very red at all. It’s more swollen on the inside – at least mine was. The swelling will go down after a week or two (I think…can’t remember), and you’ll have to go back and get it tightened. Once they tightened mine, I never had any problems with it, and it stayed in place.

Tracey June 28, 2010 at 9:50 am

I’m so impressed that you made your own detergent. I’m going to do this for sure!

mapledreams June 28, 2010 at 9:52 am

Hope your headaches don’t get any worse! Well done on your detergent success;) x

Heather (Heather's Dish) June 28, 2010 at 9:57 am

mmmmmmmmm…detergent + steak = a winning combo :) so cool that you made your own!

*Andrea* June 28, 2010 at 10:07 am

cat/cow is my favorite! i’m a new yogi so it’s probably such a simple pose for more experienced practicers but i love the feeling i get from it!

the homemade detergent is cool!

Heather Eats Almond Butter June 28, 2010 at 11:56 am

Andrea, I’ve been doing yoga for a while, and cat/cow pose will always be one of my favorites. Just feels so amazing on the low back!

maxinthegym June 28, 2010 at 10:20 am

Mmmm steak :)

I’ve never heard of homemade detergent! Hope it works well haha

I adore yoga. Love that you’re feelin’ the love as well!

A Teenage Gourmet June 28, 2010 at 10:48 am

You sound just like my aunt with the red meat. ;) Whenever she’s feeling tired, she declares that she’s going to the kitchen for some red meat, it’s pretty funny. That picture is making my mouth water.

Katie June 28, 2010 at 10:48 am

Yay! Thank you for sharing this recipe for soap! I can’t wait to try it. I’m not a huge go-green person, but I do try to keep natural stuff in the shower and for laundry, since that stuff is on our skin all day long and when all our pores are open, etc.

Katie June 28, 2010 at 10:49 am

PS – You win for best blog entry title of the day :) :)

Heather Eats Almond Butter June 28, 2010 at 11:55 am

Haha – thanks Katie. :)

kristin June 28, 2010 at 10:56 am

Two tablespoons for one full wash is awesome. I’ve never seen washing soda, how is it different from regular baking soda? We don’t have Kroger in Birmingham so I hope I can find it somewhere else. I really want to make some detergent!

Heather Eats Almond Butter June 28, 2010 at 11:54 am

Kristin, You can find washing soda wherever they sell clothing dyes – so maybe at a hobby or crafts store. Washing soda is sodium carbonate and should not be consumed.

Mary @ Bites and Bliss June 28, 2010 at 11:31 am

Creative way to save some money! :D And I can’t believe it took so little to do a load- that’s awesome!

dorrybird June 28, 2010 at 11:34 am

I’m so impressed with your homemade detergent!! Yay for green domesticity! Hope you had a stellar yoga class!

Susannah June 28, 2010 at 11:37 am

Yay for homemade detergent! I have yet to find any at WF/TJs that I like, so I may buy some lavender castille soap and make my own. I have always wanted to try Soap Nuts, so I may order the trial size of those and see what all of the fuss is about. Making your own detergent is so economical and so much better for you. Thank you for posting this! :)

Heather Eats Almond Butter June 28, 2010 at 11:52 am

Susannah, You’re welcome. How are you? I feel so bad we never went on a walk. When it cools off a bit, we should go one day when you get home from work. I would love that!

Danielle (Runs on Green) June 28, 2010 at 11:44 am

Wow, was the homemade detergent a lot cheaper?? That’s def. something I could do :D

Enjoy yoga!

Heather Eats Almond Butter June 28, 2010 at 11:51 am

Danilelle, Not sure. We usually buy Tide in bulk at Costco. However, I think in the long run, the homemade stuff would be cheaper now that I have all the ingredients…will just need to buy more soap for the next batch.

Heather June 28, 2010 at 12:33 pm

Oh my goodness! I just saw a post on homemade laundry detergent a week or so ago and I can’t wait to try it! (We were given a bunch of random detergents from friends that have moved out of their apartments so I have to wait until they are all used up.) I’m glad to know you’ve had good results!

That’s fun that you live in Nashville, we used to live in Clarksville (several years ago). TN is really pretty.

Stacie @ Imperfectly Healthy June 28, 2010 at 12:41 pm

Sometimes we all need a little cat/cow action! It makes my back feel so good! :)

annecalista June 28, 2010 at 1:13 pm

Homemade detergent, very cool. I’d like to try that!

Kelly June 28, 2010 at 1:17 pm

Awesome…we will definitely try that! I am always in favor of making my own cleaning products! Thanks Heather!

Heather Eats Almond Butter June 28, 2010 at 1:18 pm

Kelly, Welcome. :)

Ginny June 28, 2010 at 1:33 pm

I do basically the same but I make liquid detergent instead.

1 c washing soda
1/2 c borax
1 bar Fels- Naptha or Castile’s grated

Simply dissolve teh soap in a pot with 4 cups water. Fill a 5 gallon bucket half full with hot water. Add the melted soap, soda and borax. Stir until owder is dissolved and then fille the bucket the rest of the way with more hot water and stir well. It will gel overnight. You can then fill an emptry laundry soap bottle half full with the mix and then fill the rest of the way with water. Shake before each use. Use 1/2 c per load or a little more on heavily soiled clothes.
This makes a total of 10 gallons which lasts forever and costs less than $2.00 to make.

Another good one is for dishwasher soap;

Simply mix 2 cups of borax with 2 cups of washing soda. Use 2 tbsp per load. Also fill your rinse dispenser with white vinegar instead of jet dry.

Heather Eats Almond Butter June 28, 2010 at 1:54 pm

Ginny, Awesome and what a great deal for liquid detergent! Definitely trying this out in the future. Thanks so much! Love the dishwashing detergent too. :)

BlueFishey21 June 3, 2011 at 9:06 am

Ginny, thank you for posting the recipes. My hubby is grating peppermint soap right now. We bought all the ingredients and now I need to go get a couple of 5 gallon buckets today. I am so thankful for the dishwasher soap recipe as well, because I always spend a lot on Seventh Generation brand soap for both detergents. Thanks, Heather for having this blog and such awesome ideas! What a blessing you are.

BlueFishey21 July 6, 2011 at 10:18 pm

Just wanted to update my post from a little over a month ago. We used Ginny’s recipe for the liquid detergent for our family of four every day in this past month. 3 athletes and lots of dirty clothes!! I think we were unsure that one capful (1/2 a cup) was not enough, so we used two capfuls (1 cup) of the homemade detergent, but we went through it faster than I had hoped. I will try only a 1/2 cup of the liquid this month. The clothes have turned out fresh, clean, and not dingy at all. We are delighted and quite proud of ourselves. :) We have also used the dishwasher detergent and appreciated the savings to our budget! Thanks again so much, Heather!!!!!!!!!

BlueFishey21 July 6, 2011 at 10:34 pm

Oh, I just realized that we forgot to add water to the laundry bottle each time, so we were making it extra strength and no wonder it went so fast. Ha!!

HEAB July 7, 2011 at 6:55 am

You’re welcome. So glad it worked for you and your family. Thanks for letting me know. :)

lindsay June 28, 2010 at 2:03 pm

Look at you, so naturally domestic!! I love it.
P.S.
Ghee is so good to cook with! Not sure why people don’t use it more. :)

Heather Eats Almond Butter June 28, 2010 at 2:04 pm

Linsday, I know – I love ghee. Works so great with high heat cooking. In fact, I’m almost out and need to get more!

Carbzilla June 28, 2010 at 2:25 pm

Sorry about the headaches! I’ve had one since Friday and can’t tell if it’s because I had a glass of cheap wine or allergies or what. No fun, for sure. Do you think the red meat’s helping?

Heather Eats Almond Butter June 28, 2010 at 2:32 pm

Carbzilla, Yes, I really do think my headaches are related to the anemia, and after a week or two of steak and chicken livers, I felt so much better. Going to try and eat more of it as I’ve been slacking.

Justine June 28, 2010 at 2:40 pm

I love Kroger’s! I’ve only been once but it was so much fun. You’re so domestic with your soap making-too cute! I hope the meat helps with your head aches. :)

kelsey@snackingsquirrel.com June 28, 2010 at 2:50 pm

good combo lol.. how appetizing ;)

when i live on my own i know i will be making natural detergent.. i used to make it for my mom to use but she stopped after awhile since she kept going for the cheap tide stuff that can be quite potent!

mm i love putting sliced bison stead on my salads :) <3

Kendall June 28, 2010 at 3:29 pm

My friend makes nearly that exact same detergent. However, she uses the liquid Dr. Bronners that you can get in big gallon jugs. Along with the other ingredients it turns into a gel type consistency similar to that of regular liquid laundry detergent and works so well! She says it comes out to like 15 cents per load, which is way less than any store bought detergent. Plus she loves that the clothes smell pepperminty! I use Dr. Bronners (both liquid and bar) for everything; in the shower, as hand soap, to clean my dogs, etc. It is so great! I also hear it is a great baby shampoo :) I’m planning to make the detergent when I run out of the huge jug of Trader Joes detergent I bought awhile ago. Have fun doing laundry!

Heather Eats Almond Butter June 28, 2010 at 3:34 pm

Kendall, Yes, someone else mentioned the liquid version, and I’m going to try that next. $.15 cents a load with my favorite soap in the whole world? Sounds good to me! :)

BlueFishey21 June 3, 2011 at 9:38 am

Kendall, do you know how much of the dry soaps and how much of the liquid Dr. Bronners’ she uses exactly? I would like to try this recipe. Thanks.

eatmovelove June 28, 2010 at 4:56 pm

Did you get your iron levels checked out after all? Did they go up? Are you still taking the Floradix as well?

Hah – sorry that’s a lot o’ questions! ;)

That Chris is a SMART guy – BEEF for sure! …and I thought you were going to say you just wanted him to strip down for another reason besides the laundry and the sweat…:)

Heather Eats Almond Butter June 28, 2010 at 5:12 pm

Eatmovelove, Yes, I’m still taking the Floradix, and no I haven’t had my iron levels checked again. Hoping to do that later this week.

Katie June 28, 2010 at 5:16 pm

I’ve made all my own cleaning products except laundry soap. The “hippie” stuff enver seems to work that well, so I never bothered. I might have to try this, since it worked so well for you. I don’t think I’m overly dirty. :D

Heather Eats Almond Butter June 28, 2010 at 5:17 pm

Katie, try it! I was quite pleased with the results, and another reader left a recipe for a liquid version in the comments. I’m going to try that next.

Averie (LoveVeggiesAndYoga) June 28, 2010 at 7:12 pm

Well keep me posted on how the detergent making goes and long term how you’re liking it! And glad I could talk diapers and inserts with you today. My sister just had her baby (a girl!) 4 days ago and called me in tears w/ breastfeeding issues. Talked her down off a ledge :) and so between you and her, I am glad mine is 3.5, potty learn’ed and weaned LOL

xoxo

Natalie June 28, 2010 at 7:50 pm

I have a soap obsession right now (Dove soap) so if my clothes could smell like dove, oh man. I have to try this!!

polly June 28, 2010 at 7:56 pm

hello LOVE!
My email is not working at the moment so I was just so happy to catch up on your blog and send my PEACH some hugs! :)

First off, YAY for boobs! Yes, I had some KNOCKERS when preg and especially after when nursing. HOLY BAY WATCH GIRL. hehehe :P I look back at pictures and we laugh at my big boobies. :D

Love you! I think you meat all looks amazing. I ate some grass fed beef this weekend and honestly am craving more! I love my meat. Heather, that coconut butter is so AMAZING on my chicken. Lurve. You are the sweetest. I also got the word lurve from YOU. :)

Okay, time to watch some BOOB TUBE ;) with the hubs.

Miss you, love you, nite nite! XOXO

Heather Eats Almond Butter June 28, 2010 at 8:04 pm

Polly, Miss you too and so happy to hear you’re lurving the coconut butter. I thought you might. I’ll try and call you soon – we must catch up!

gloriousgreens June 28, 2010 at 8:05 pm

Hmmmmmmmm crumbled goat cheese. I just recently stumbled upon this and it is already a new favorite. Any brands you recommend?

Thanks, Leanne

Heather Eats Almond Butter June 28, 2010 at 8:07 pm

Gloriousgreens, I always just buy the Trader Joe’s brand. Love it – they also make goat cheese slices as well as shredded goat cheese. Hope you have a TJ’s near you!

gloriousgreens June 28, 2010 at 8:11 pm

I’ve never tried the TJ kind and yes we do have one near us. Thanks!

Erin @ The Houndstooth Apron June 28, 2010 at 10:01 pm

I have migraines, and whenever I’m battling a particularly bad one I always go in search of red meat, and whenever I feel any sort of headache coming on, I go straight for protein of any sort. I keep Balance and Luna protein bars in my purse and car for an instant cure in case I’m not able to get some meat, legumes or dairy quickly.

Heather Eats Almond Butter June 28, 2010 at 10:13 pm

Erin, Steak for breakfast and dinner today…and no headaches. :)

Tes June 29, 2010 at 6:16 am

I’ve never tried making detergent at home before. This looks genious!

Fran June 29, 2010 at 8:26 am

What farmer’s market do you go to??

Heather Eats Almond Butter June 29, 2010 at 8:41 am

Fran, There is a little farmers mkt. every Thursday from 3-6 in the hospital courtyard at Vanderbilt. It’s got some great local vendors with tons of veggies, fruit (got the best peaches there last time), dairy products, and grass fed finished meats.

Amber at Berlin's Whimsy June 29, 2010 at 11:46 am

I keep meaning to try homemade detergent. Do you have a front loader? I’m wondering if it is okay to use with ours…

Heather Eats Almond Butter June 29, 2010 at 12:20 pm

Amber, I don’t have a front loader, and so I’m not sure if this homemade detergent recipe will work. Sorry, I wish I could be of more help!

Amber at Berlin's Whimsy June 29, 2010 at 12:43 pm

Heather— I found this site: http://tipnut.com/10-homemade-laundry-soap-detergent-recipes/ which has recipes for detergents that work in front loaders (HE). The HE recipes are in the comments section, in case anyone is interested!

Heather Eats Almond Butter June 29, 2010 at 12:47 pm

Amber, Awesome. Thanks for letting me know!

Bekah June 29, 2010 at 3:45 pm

meeeooooww. :) yoga for me tonight!

and you WOULD make homemade laundry detergent. genuis idea. i need me some for my chef whites!

Fervent Foodie June 29, 2010 at 8:12 pm

I don’t even like baked beans… but that looks friggin delicious!

tasha - thecleaneatingmama July 1, 2010 at 10:36 am

What a great laundry detergent recipe! Thanks for sharing!
I love that your husband is so in-tune with how you are and how you feel. Kuddos to him!

Sharon July 1, 2010 at 11:05 am

i have ghee sitting in my cardboard for ages now and i have no idea what to use it for!! i wondering if i should use it to saute stuff or bake with it or both? the homemade detergent sounds splendiferious :)

Heather Eats Almond Butter July 1, 2010 at 12:23 pm

Sharon, YES, ghee is wonderful for high heat cooking – the heat does not break it down at all, and all ghee comes from grass fed cows. I love that stuff. Use in place of fat in all sorts of recipes – whenever they call for butter, oil, etc. It’s also wonderful stirred into a bowl of savory oats with salt, pepper, and cheese! :)

Candi July 6, 2010 at 7:19 pm

Heather,

How did you finely grate the soap? Food processor? Box grater?

Heather Eats Almond Butter July 7, 2010 at 9:36 am

Candi, I used my box grater…and let me tell ya, that will put some muscles on your arms! ;)