Beans And Weenies

by HEAB on June 29, 2010

And the pregnancy cravings continue…

Yesterday it was beans and weenies…I never thought I would be typing the word weenies on this blog. Anyway, I’d like thank Trader Joe’s for this entire meal. In fact, last week, when I was there stocking up on hot dogs, buns, and pickle relish, the cashier asked me if I was getting ready for the 4th of July. No, not exactly. After yesterday’s 90 minute vinyasa class, I zeroed in on a can of Trader Joe’s baked beans that had been in our cabinet forever. Perfect, just what I wanted! I then toasted a whole wheat hot dog bug, cooked myself a turkey dog, slathered the bun in TJ’s aioli garlic mustard sauce, sweet pickle relish, and loaded it with 1 serving of warmed baked beans. I love how the bun got all soggy from the beans…mixed with the mustard and relish…I could not have been happier. :)

So, this morning I woke up to a bunch of leftover baked beans in our fridge. What to do, what to do? Well, the Brits love their baked beans for breakfast, and so the following is an ode to all my friends across the pond…

I warmed up some beans, scrambled 1 egg with 2 egg whites, and then realized I had no bread to make toast. Bisquick to the rescue! Another perfect beanified meal. Beans are not something I eat very often as they usually do a number on my stomach, but as long as I stick with one serving (and not the whole freaking can), I’m fine. I should really buy baked beans more often – I think the HEABlet likes them. :)

We did so many chair poses yesterday in yoga class, but I’m not nearly as sore as I thought I would be. My legs seem to be getting much stronger, and my body is feeling like its old yoga self again. I’m having no trouble with the balancing poses like I thought I would, and my shoulders are loving all the cats/cows instead of Chaturangas. I’m still able to pop up into Crow, and I was able to do some of the handstand prep we worked on in class yesterday. Honestly, I am so grateful to have yoga in my life. It’s just such an amazing experience every time I go to class.

Have you ever eaten a traditional British breakfast?

Anna June 29, 2010 at 8:39 am

Ha!! I just had beanie weenies last week for dinner! Glad I’m not the only one who gets weird (and kind of trashy) cravings…although I don’t have the pregnancy excuse. Oh well. :-)

Jessica @ How Sweet June 29, 2010 at 8:41 am

I have never had a traditional British breakfast…but a few months ago I WAS obsessed with baked beans for breakfast. :)

Jess @ Jessica is Getting Fit June 29, 2010 at 8:42 am

That may be a pregnancy craving but it looks SO good! I might have to pick up a can of baked beans at Trader Joes next time I’m in!

operagirlcooks June 29, 2010 at 8:42 am

Yum! I used to have Heinz beans and a scrambled egg on wheat toast ALL THE TIME! Super filling breakfast and I totally forgot about it. Yours looks fantastic, and that hot dog combo sounds delicious.

dorrybird June 29, 2010 at 8:44 am

Yum – I’m a bean eater, there’s no denying it. My fiance used to live in London so he’s made me a proper British breakfast! I love it.

So glad you are still loving yoga while pregnant- so inspiring to me for the future. :)

Sarah (from See Sarah Eat) June 29, 2010 at 8:45 am

I love baked beans! I may have to try that with a veggie dog ;-)

I’m glad you are enjoying yoga. I really need to do it more often for myself.

Miranda @ Mirandasjeans June 29, 2010 at 8:55 am

Let me just say that had you posted this entry before yesterday I could have said that this was the first time I had seen hotdogs out here in the blog world. However you have been beat. Over at http://mysocalledhealthlife.wordpress.com/ lol too funny. I suppose it is summer time though!

Heather Eats Almond Butter June 29, 2010 at 8:56 am

Miranda, Hehe – yay for hot dogs! Good to know I’m not the only one. ;)

homecookedem June 29, 2010 at 8:57 am

I have been LOVIN on baked beans for the past month or more! So funny!! Perfect timing too since they’re at almost every summer get-together!! :)

Lindsay June 29, 2010 at 8:57 am

Yummm! That sounds like my kind of meal. Perfect for the summer. :)

sweetersalt June 29, 2010 at 8:59 am

I’ve never had baked beans for breakfast, but I do love them! I recently made a big batch to give to my Dad for Father’s Day, http://sweetersalt.com/2010/06/27/the-gift-of-food/. They were a hit!

Heather Eats Almond Butter June 29, 2010 at 9:11 am

Sweetersalt – thanks. I haven’t made homemade baked beans in probably over 10 years. This is a good recipe to have on hand. :)

Meg June 29, 2010 at 9:00 am

Total childhood favorite right there :D I saw a can of “Beanie Weenie” in the store the other day – cracked me up.

So glad you’re getting back into yoga – I’m sure the little HEABlet loves it too ;)

Enjoy your day Heather! Hooray for beans and weenies!

Sarena (The Non-Dairy Queen) June 29, 2010 at 9:02 am

We love those itsy bitsy teenie weenie cans of Van Camp’s Beenie Weenies! Great, now that is going to be stuck in my head all day! You can’t go wrong with that though! Um, I don’t know that I have eaten a traditional English breakfast, but when Max asks for Nutella on things for breakfast, I justify it by the fact that it is European!

saltytooth June 29, 2010 at 9:21 am

Is it wrong that when I read the word, weenies, I laugh? :)

Heather Eats Almond Butter June 29, 2010 at 9:26 am

Salty, No, I laughed as typing it. :)

Jenny June 29, 2010 at 9:23 am

Eee! The HEABlet!! Soo cute… let he/she eat what he/she craves!! So excited to keep reading about this on your blog!

Kelly June 29, 2010 at 9:26 am

I haven’t ever had a traditional British breakfast but I love baked beans…they are my favorite food at BBQ’s…and it being July 4th weekend I am sure a few bowlfuls will find their way into my tummy! :)

ashley June 29, 2010 at 9:44 am

I really just love your blog!! Don’t you just love the word “weenie!!” Also love the nickname for the baby :) I have had a traditional Irish breakfast…does that count? My husband and I had it a few times on our honeymoon…definitely had beans on the plate and their white + black pudding…which tasted pretty good but is disgusting how they make it. It is NOT dessert pudding! ;)

Heather Eats Almond Butter June 29, 2010 at 10:09 am

Ashley, Thanks so much, and yes, the Irish breakfast totally counts! I don’t think I ever actually ate the white + black pudding…you’re a brave soul…I’m more of a weenie. :)

Heather (Heather's Dish) June 29, 2010 at 9:46 am

you know, i’ve never had a traditional British breakfast, but it sounds so good! i’d add a ton of garlic to mine…that’s just how i roll ;)

malpaz June 29, 2010 at 9:54 am

hahah good timing i had weenies and sauerkraut last night!!!!! i feel like a lil tyke again when i eat weenies, esp if i boil them in water as opposed to the grill!

mapledreams June 29, 2010 at 10:09 am

We like to call them “Wee Willie Winkies”, i love them! i remember when i was child we got the Heinz cans of Beans and Sausages and often had them on toast for lunch!! loved that!

i’ve never been a huge fan of cooked breakfasts, but ironically, when i was in Tenerife when i was younger, we ate a traditional english breakfast every morning!!!

xx

Lara (Thinspired) June 29, 2010 at 10:22 am

I love those TJ’s Baked Beans! When we moved back over from the UK, I *knew* one food I would miss would be Heinz Baked Beans. But I can’t believe how much I love the TJ’s ones…might be even BETTER than Heinz!

I was never one for British breakfasts. For one, they always serve that cold, white toast, which grosses me out. I do love the beans, but not necessarily for brekkie. As much as I love the Brits, I think I prefer the way the French do breakfast….Nutella and croissants, Little Heablet? ;)

Heather Eats Almond Butter June 29, 2010 at 12:21 pm

Lara, Yep, the French do it up right. :)

Grace @ Front Porch Yoga June 29, 2010 at 10:25 am

So thrilled to hear that you are choosing to continue your yoga practice throughout your pregnancy. I’m not a momma yet, but I’ve heard from friends that yoga made all the difference in the world during the birthing of their babes…namaste!

Megan (Braise The Roof) June 29, 2010 at 10:38 am

Haha, I also had a hot dog the other night! http://braisetheroof.com/2010/06/28/t-minus-3-days/

Although I’m not pregnant, sometimes I eat like I am! TJ’s baked beans are awesome- they’re even better when you mix them with a little KC BBQ sauce. :)

A Teenage Gourmet June 29, 2010 at 10:48 am

Is toast a traditional english breakfast? Then yes. :D I saw crumpets at Kroger recently though, I was tempted!

After searching my town for thickening gums, I followed your how-to video for the protein ice cream! My super old blender busted it out, and I totally love it! I added lots of coco powder to make mine chocolaty. Thank you! I’ll definitely play around with different variations.

Heather Eats Almond Butter June 29, 2010 at 12:32 pm

A Teenage gourmet, The toast counts if you slather it with beans. :)

So glad the protein ice-cream worked for you! Let me know if you come up with any new and exciting combos. :)

Erica June 29, 2010 at 11:20 am

I’m a baked beans monster! Love them. I have never had a traditional English bfast. Glad to hear you’re doing well. I don’t think we’re going to make it to Nashville :(

lindsay June 29, 2010 at 11:21 am

you need to add some marmite to those biscuits and then your totally a Brit! I’ve actually come to like marmite and veggie mite now. I guess thats what happends when you marry a Kiwi (new zealander). :)

Heather Eats Almond Butter June 29, 2010 at 12:31 pm

LIndsay, You know, I’ve never had the marmite, but I’d loved to try it. I need to find some soon – I’m so curious.

Lea June 29, 2010 at 11:24 am

baked beans for b-fast? were you spying through my window this past saturday morning? that’s what i had for breakfast. i got strange looks from the roomies, but i thoroughly enjoyed my meal.

Heather Eats Almond Butter June 29, 2010 at 12:31 pm

Lea, I was totally stalking you, and let me just say that your roommates missed out on a delicious b’fast! :)

Lola June 29, 2010 at 11:25 am

I didn’t know british ate baked beans for breakfast! Not surprising though, beans is a mexican breakfast staple!! mm now that I think about it, beans are a staple in almost every meal :P

Leanne June 29, 2010 at 11:28 am

I’ve never had baked beans however in an effort to avoid wasting food I hAd refried beens and some greens on some toast yesterday morning. It was almost as good as hummus on toast.

Heather Eats Almond Butter June 29, 2010 at 12:28 pm

Leanne, Good to know as I’ve got 3 cans of refried beans in my cabinet as well. :)

kim June 29, 2010 at 11:28 am

I too am re-falling in love with yoga. I practiced daily while we were in Hawaii on our balcony overlooking the ocean. Twas quite lovely! Now that we are back home, it is becoming my “defrag” time at about 4-5:30pm. Great way to end my day. No issues here getting the yoga room heated, I just open the window, 112 today, yuck! Glad you are feeling great!

Tabitha June 29, 2010 at 11:30 am

I’m a Brit but have to say, ugh to the trad breakfast, even the smell revolts me.

I just made a big batch of beans today too!

edenseats June 29, 2010 at 11:33 am

I go to london twice a year to visit some fam, I’ve been going almost EVERY year since birth. I am obsessed with HP sauce! I slather it on everything and it doesnt have as much sugar as most bottled BBQ sauces. Heniz baked beans on toast is my absolute favorite! i love carbs on carbs in general!

Erica June 29, 2010 at 11:42 am

Heather – and HEABlet – my husband would lust after this breakfast. I am not a big bean eater – but I do love me some dinner for breakfast – cold:) Anyone with me? And for that matter – breakfast for dinner as well. And I agree that continuing your excerise patterns through the end of pregnancy is awesome and so helpful if you can/permitted. I ran the day before my daughter was born – and her birth was a breeze – and my recovery was amazing. Literally:) Rock on sista!

Heather Eats Almond Butter June 29, 2010 at 12:27 pm

Thanks Erica, Very encouraging. :)

Averie (LoveVeggiesAndYoga) June 29, 2010 at 11:42 am

Breakfast = hot coffee. Just not a morning eater. I am a midnite – 2am eater though :)

Baked beans…I love them!! but never make them.

Yoga…so glad you’re back in action there Mama Heather :)

xoxo

Carbzilla June 29, 2010 at 11:44 am

I’ve never liked the baked bean sauce. Maybe too sweet for me. Just an odd combo my mouth doesn’t like. However, when I was growing up, Campbell’s had a Hot Dog Bean soup (I called it Hot Dog Bean Bean – not sure what it was really called) that I absolutely LOVED. It had more of a tortilla soup flavored base from what I can recall.

I start back into yoga tomorrow! I’m so excited!

Katherine: What About Summer? June 29, 2010 at 11:46 am

I’m way impressed you just whipped up Bisquick bread like that. Clearly you’re a kitchen superstar

Heather Eats Almond Butter June 29, 2010 at 12:25 pm

Katherine, It was so easy! 1/3 cup Bisquick with about an 1/8 cup almond milk. Stir, plop on baking sheet and bake for 9 minutes in a 450 degree oven. If I had known biscuits could be this easy, I’d been making them a long time ago! :)

hayleycepeda June 29, 2010 at 12:04 pm

YUM! Beans & Weenies!! Sounds scrumptious…never thought I’d say that either! Both my parents and the majority of my family are from England & Wales (a lot still live there) so I was brought up eating English breakfasts. However, we didn’t eat cold white toast (BLECH) like Lara mentioned – I would hate that, too! Every Sunday my mom used to make toast, baked beans (best way to eat baked beans is on top of toast!), has browns, and egg. When we’d visit my grandparents we always had little “chippolatas” (mini sausages) alongside our baked beans on toast. Having said that, I just want to throw out there that no one in my family is fat! :) It was a once-a-week thing and we didn’t pie our plates high. I don’t even remember the last time I ate an English breakfast now…

You are amazing for still being able to do headstands! When you mentioned them in your email I was thinking, “Ok the class I took definitely wasn’t that advanced!” I was excited to be able to do crow – and even that was wobbly! :)

Heather Eats Almond Butter June 29, 2010 at 12:24 pm

Hayley, I don’t know if the best way to eat beans is on toast…they were pretty darn tasty atop that biscuit! ;)

glutenfreemuse June 29, 2010 at 12:11 pm

I’m not going to lie…I’m feeling you on the baked beans! However, I too have to limit myself…that and dried fruit :-)

Glad the yoga is flowing for ya! I haven’t been as diligent as normal, but my body isn’t screaming at me. Sometimes I think that I got a little yoga-crazed and would get upset with myself for missing too many practices a week. Then I realized that that is the complete opposite of yoga. Now I practice patience and flexibility…already sounds a little more “yogic” there, don’t it :-)

Heather Eats Almond Butter June 29, 2010 at 12:22 pm

Glutenfreemuse, I was totally the same way. If I wasn’t going to a certain number of 90-minute yoga classes a week, then I wasn’t doing enough. So silly, and now I realize even 20 mins of yoga is great for the body and soul. Now I practice when I want to, not when I think I should. Much betta that way. :)

Beth @ DiningAndDishing June 29, 2010 at 12:13 pm

My whole family is from England so I’ve had a British breakfast many times! I am not much of a savory breakfast person but once in a while, when back in the UK nothing can top it!

missyrayn June 29, 2010 at 12:26 pm

I’ve had them before and actually enjoy them. I love strange food combos.

Jenny R. June 29, 2010 at 12:43 pm

omg Heather I used to looooove baked beans. Like I’m talkin straight outta the can. They were a childhood staple for sure. I have not had them in years and years. In the fall though I plan to recreate a homemade slow cooked version.

Heather Eats Almond Butter June 29, 2010 at 12:47 pm

Jenny, I won’t lie…there were a few spoonfuls straight from the can when I opened it. Yummy. :)

Sarah June 29, 2010 at 1:03 pm

Although I’ve never had that breakfast, it looks pretty yummy to me! I may be replicating that sometime in the near future.

Justine June 29, 2010 at 1:25 pm

I don’t know if I’ve had beans & toast for breakfast, but I do know that it is one of my favourite easy meals. :)
It’s so wonderful that you have yoga back in your life. I love reading about your cravings!

nikkionlunch June 29, 2010 at 1:27 pm

Well, geez, I’m missing out on the beans and weenies boat! We just got a big can of baked beans (which look mightly yummy)BUT they are strictly for the 4th. Now I’ve got a hankering for the beans because of everyone on here!

Any good thoughts on how to create something similar from black/white beans? I have two partial uncooked bags of them I could use.

Heather Eats Almond Butter June 29, 2010 at 2:08 pm

Nikki, Why don’t you sub the black/white beans for the pinto beans in this classic recipe: http://www.epicurious.com/recipes/food/views/Boston-Baked-Beans-5431. I think they would turn out delicious!

Gina (@ Looking Forward) June 29, 2010 at 1:37 pm

My boyfriend’s parents are British, so everytime they make a big breakfast it includes baked beans:) But it has to be the right “brit” brand!

I love yoga too, I feel so great after every class:)

Natalie June 29, 2010 at 1:45 pm

mmm beans and toast! ive been thinking about that a long time. i do like traditional english breakfasts. i spent two summers in northern ireland back when i was in high school and though it’s not EXACTLY a traditional “English” breakfast, we had something called the ULSTER FRY at least a few times each week… it’s crazy now that i think about it. bacon or ham is fried first, so that everything else is fried IN the bacon grease (!!), including potato bread, soda bread, tomatoes, eggs, and beans (all served with a cuppa irish breakfast tea of course!). the beans and fried tomatoes would be eaten with the bread. i might have to create a “healthified” version of the Ulster Fry sometimes, because the tomato + eggs + beans + bread sounds really good to me… i remember that both the potato bread and soda bread was to die for!!!! thanks for reminding me about these traditional British (or should I say UK?) breakfasts!!

Heather Eats Almond Butter June 29, 2010 at 2:09 pm

Natalie, I’ve had something similar to the Ulster Fry – it’s amazing what a little bacon grease can do. :)

Little Bookworm June 29, 2010 at 2:01 pm

Love the baked beans for breakfast! :D

Kellie June 29, 2010 at 3:02 pm

Baked beans remind me of Summer. Hot dogs, bbq, watermellon and baked beans.

beautyandafeast June 29, 2010 at 3:15 pm

I myself have never tried baked beans for breakfast, despite living in England for 15 months. Even there I couldn’t wrap my head around the idea. However, I’m glad you’re listening to your body and eating what you crave! That’s definitely something more people need to get a grasp on!

And this bit’s going to sound super weird, but the “soggy bun” bit sounds delicious. I enjoy crackers that have become a bit soggy on one side from being on a plate next to my freshly-sliced tomatoes, so I guess that’s an example of how much texture can add to the enjoyment of the food – even if it’s texture created by absorption :)

Heather Eats Almond Butter June 29, 2010 at 3:56 pm

Beautyandafeast, I’m a condiment girl, and my favorite part of any sandwich, burger, hot dog, etc. is the condiment soaked bread…and don’t even get me started on crackers all soggy in soup. Yum!

annecalista June 29, 2010 at 3:46 pm

You are so funny! I have a friend from Indiana who told me about beans and weenies- she said you can’t have a party in the Midwest without someone bringing them!

Heather Eats Almond Butter June 29, 2010 at 3:54 pm

Anne, Same goes for the South. We love our beans and weenies! :)

Katie June 29, 2010 at 3:48 pm

Baked beans with bacon….yuuuummmmm. :D

Grace June 29, 2010 at 3:57 pm

I’m British and have beans for breakfast all the time, but our beans are totally different, in a tomatoey sauce…when I came to America the beans were really sweet and strange…I guess its just one of those differences, like how you all eat peanut butter with sweet foods!

Love your blog by the way, especially the updates on the heablet:)

Heather Eats Almond Butter June 29, 2010 at 4:01 pm

Grace, Thanks so much. :) Yes, I remember the beans in England being less sweet, and I really liked them, especially with a sausage and tomato on the side. :)

Kristin (Cook, Bake and Nibble) June 29, 2010 at 4:22 pm

I’m not sure how different English breakfasts are from Irish, but I assume they are similar. SO delicious, but filling and fatty as all getout! I do LOVE baked beans, though :)

xo
Kris

Heather Eats Almond Butter June 29, 2010 at 6:19 pm

Kristin, From my experience, they are pretty similar, both fatty and really good! :)

Jill@MySoCalledHealthLife June 29, 2010 at 4:51 pm

Haha, glad my weenie from yesterday got some recognition! yay for summer weenies & beans ;-)

Heather Eats Almond Butter June 29, 2010 at 6:20 pm

Jill, So happy to spread the love of the weenie! :)

Chocolate-Covered Katie June 29, 2010 at 5:21 pm

Ok, that title definitely brought on a giggle fest. Yes, I am apparently three years old :) .

eugenie June 29, 2010 at 5:54 pm

hotdogs and beans always makes me think of the camping episode of the brady bunch. i think peter hides some in a flashlight for his friend? i can’t remember exactly what happened. looks good. love trader joe’s. love beans. love a proper english breakfast (vegetarian version).

gina (fitnessista) June 29, 2010 at 6:30 pm

that’s quite a long weenie… ;)
i’m enjoying following along with your fun cravings. you’ve always been so creative with your meals and little heablet is taking it another level. love it
hope you’re having a great night <3

Heather Eats Almond Butter June 29, 2010 at 7:52 pm

Gina, that’s the way I prefer my weenies. ;)

carolinebee June 29, 2010 at 6:43 pm

Ahahahah, HEABlet…i loveeee it!! That is hilarious about the TJ’s cashier- i’ve totally bought a bunch of random stuff, then they comment like Ohhh are u having a big party?? And i’m like..um no I just like food a lot :D

Mary @ Bites and Bliss June 29, 2010 at 6:52 pm

Chair poses have to be my least favorite of all the poses. Don’t know why but they are lol. Beanies and weenies is a good kids meal- remember this for once your baby’s old enough for it! haha

Alisa June 29, 2010 at 7:12 pm

Only when I was in England, and never again :)

Seriously, not a huge bean or weenie fan, but that bisquick monster is calling my name!

BroccoliHut June 29, 2010 at 7:35 pm

I’ve had beans on toast a few times…and lurved it!

Melissa @ For the Love of Health June 29, 2010 at 9:44 pm

Both meals look fantastic! I don’t think I have enjoyed a traditional English breakfast but I like your take on it!

janetha June 29, 2010 at 10:55 pm

yeah right. you secretly almost called your blog “heather eats weenies” but HEW didn’t sound as fun as HEAB.

p.s. i love tradish E.B.s! so good!

Tes June 30, 2010 at 12:59 am

Oh weeinies & beans…. I have to try that on the French rolls sometimes.
We love English breakfast… we make at home occasionally.

nikkionlunch June 30, 2010 at 6:53 am

HEAB, that recipe sounds delish. It calls for Molasses, which I’ve NEVER bought. Is that typically available in most grocery stores?

Heather Eats Almond Butter June 30, 2010 at 7:02 am

Nikki, Yes, look for molasses in the syrup or health food aisle. Just DON’T buy Blackstrap – buy the regular molasses for this recipe. Please let me know how the beans turn out!

ashley June 30, 2010 at 2:46 pm

OH my goodness, now you have me thinking about eggs, baked beans, sauteed (or fried?) tomatoes and mushrooms…maybe that’s what this crazy pregnant lady needs! When I was in college, I spent a semester in England, and I can’t tell you how often I ate this after returning to the US. SO GOOD!!! Thanks for reminding me : )

I’m so glad things are going well for you!

Heather Eats Almond Butter June 30, 2010 at 2:49 pm

Ashley, You’re welcome. A good British breakfast should never be forgotten! :)