Take That Cheesecake Factory!

by HEAB on June 30, 2010

I would really like to thank all my readers for joining me on this new adventure in my life. Honestly, there are some days I feel like a total hypocrite as many of the foods I’m eating now, I would not have touched a year ago. For years, I have avoided putting anything in my body that I didn’t consider healthy. Call it extreme, restrictive, orthorexia…whatever, but that’s how I lived. Yes, I wanted to avoid diabetes, heart disease, cancer, etc., but my biggest fear was gaining all my weight back. However, when I became pregnant, many of the healthy foods I loved had no appeal whatsoever for me…and some of them still don’t. Anyway, all this to say that I am enjoying food so much more. It’s not that I didn’t love the foods I ate before, it’s just that I rarely allowed myself a big bowl of cereal if I really wanted it or a piece of cake at a friend’s wedding. I plan to continue eating as well I can most of the time, BUT, if I want a little Bisquick, then guess what? I’m going to eat it. :)

And guess what I wanted for breakfast????

IMG_5279.JPG   +   screen-shot-2010-06-27-at-7-08-36-am.png

Yep, I woke up with apple pie on the brain…again! This recipe isn’t as easy as my oat bran apple pie, but it was pretty darn close.

First I spread 2 servings of Trader Joe’s Chunky Spiced Apples into a small pyrex dish. I then mixed 1/3 cup Bisquick with about 1/8 cup unsweetened almond milk and 1 egg white. I poured the Bisquick mixture on top of the applesauce and added lots of cinnamon. For a sweeter crust, simply add a pinch of brown sugar or stevia to the Bisquick.

I placed the pyrex dish on a baking sheet and baked it in a 450┬░ oven for 25 minutes.

The finished product…

While my pie was baking, I whipped up a batch of cinnamon protein ice-cream and then topped it with half of the warm pie.

Let’s do a little comparison, shall we?

The Cheesecake Factory’s Warm Apple Crisp.

Screen shot 2010-06-30 at 9.08.39 AM.png

HEABified Apple Pie A La Mode

Screen shot 2010-06-30 at 8.57.43 AM.png

Much better, don’t you think? :)

Stefanie June 30, 2010 at 8:17 am

Much better and I am sure it tastes better too. :)

Jenn (GH) June 30, 2010 at 8:21 am

This looks good. I love how you are creative and simple at the same time!

Jessica @ How Sweet June 30, 2010 at 8:22 am

Love that yours is loaded with protein! I think your version sounds much better. :)

Kellie June 30, 2010 at 8:22 am

I am impressed. What a great recipe. I am going to try it with some of my whole wheat pancake mix.

A Teenage Gourmet June 30, 2010 at 8:22 am

*giggle. :)

Heather June 30, 2010 at 8:24 am

Good for you! People would be surprised how feeding ourselves what we truly need and want can actually make us happier and affect other parts of our lives.
Thanks for spreading the word about food freedom!

Heather Eats Almond Butter June 30, 2010 at 8:29 am

Heather, So true. :)

BethT June 30, 2010 at 8:25 am

I think the fact that you’re expanding your food horizons proves you’re NOT extreme. I read certain food blogs and wonder how they, too will react when pregnant – I think it will be interesting to see if they’re comfortable stepping away from their somewhat rigorous “food rules.” While it’s fine to continue to eat well while pregnant, it’s also not a crime to reach for Bisquick or the occasional non-organic hotdog :)

Heather Eats Almond Butter June 30, 2010 at 8:30 am

BethT, I’ve been wondering the same exact thing myself.

Stephanie June 30, 2010 at 8:25 am

I’m happy to see that you are enjoying your pregnancy and your new relationship with food! I think it’s important to honor what your body (and baby) needs but I think you can still do it healtfully. As shown by your version of apple pie which I have to say, looks so good! And look at all that protein! YUM!

dori June 30, 2010 at 8:27 am

I am so happy for you with the pregnancy and on eating what you want with no guilt! You make me happy.

Gena June 30, 2010 at 8:29 am

I think it’s great that pregnancy has encouraged you to ease up on limitations you’d set for yourself, even if they came from a well intentioned place. Hooray!

Little Bookworm June 30, 2010 at 8:31 am

That apple pie looks amazing Heather! :)

Sarena (The Non-Dairy Queen) June 30, 2010 at 8:31 am

I could not be more with you on loving food right now. I think learning about food and how it affects your body is a journey. Food should be enjoyed! It is one of the little things in life that a lot of people take for granted in a lot of ways. It fuels us, it can be extravagant, can create a mood and it can even take you to a totally different place in your mind. Sometimes we just forget about the broad spectrum of foods out there and we need to be reminded that everything is good in moderation! I also think, especially when you are dealing with weight loss, that you have to find what works for you. Our bodies are all different and they need different types of fuel at different times! I think it is great that you are craving all the junky stuff because you are making the junky in a healthy way and making it taste sinful! Ok, I just got off my high horse! Your apple pie looks amazing! Enjoy!

Heather Eats Almond Butter June 30, 2010 at 8:34 am

Thanks Sarena. :)

Sara June 30, 2010 at 8:32 am

I’ve heard that the cravings are because your body is calling out for something it needs. Maybe it means you need a little extra fat, or a little extra sugar, or a specific vitamin, mineral, etc. Our bodies, especially during pregnancy, are amazing things – they will tell you what they need.

fartygirl June 30, 2010 at 8:32 am

SEVENTY-FOUR SUGARS???? I’m so disgusted with the Cheesecake Factory right now.

Heather Eats Almond Butter June 30, 2010 at 8:33 am

Farty, I know – I almost fainted when I read that!

Anna June 30, 2010 at 8:33 am

I think it is so great that you’re honoring your body and your cravings during this time in your life– you’re giving your body what it’s asking for, and that’s awesome! You rock, HEAB. :-)

Heather (Heather's Dish) June 30, 2010 at 8:34 am

WAAAAAAAAAAAAAY better! take that cheesecake factory indeed :)

Lindsay June 30, 2010 at 8:34 am

I think it’s so wonderful that you’re really listening to your body and having fun with food again! Eating cleanly is a wonderful thing, but it can drive you crazy if you let it inhibit you from enjoying those simple pleasures in life….like eating a small piece of apple pie at a 4th of July picnic or having some ice cream on a summer night or enjoying biscuits for breakfast! It makes me happy that you’re so happy right now!

Also, props for that HEABified Apple Pie a la Mode. You wonderfully show how indulgences don’t always have to be “unhealthy”. A little tweaking here and there to classic comfort food recipes can result in the surprisingly healthy and delicious creations! I really enjoy your perspective and your unique voice here in the food blog world. :)

Heather Eats Almond Butter June 30, 2010 at 8:35 am

Thanks Lindsay! :)

dmcgirl37 June 30, 2010 at 8:38 am

lol you are totally loving the bisquick arent you?!

Dana xo

Heather Eats Almond Butter June 30, 2010 at 8:54 am

dmcgirl37 Yes, very much so. :)

VeggieGirl June 30, 2010 at 8:41 am

¡Mucho mejor!

Allison June 30, 2010 at 8:45 am

I hear you! There were many things that I typically love that had no appeal to me during my pregnancies. You’ve got to eat what sounds good – after all, you’re making lungs and such!!

One of my favorite things about being PG – food tasted SO DARN GOOD.

Heather Eats Almond Butter June 30, 2010 at 8:55 am

Allison, I know it’s crazy. Some foods sound so awful right now, but when I eat when I’m craving, it tastes absolutely amazing!

rachael June 30, 2010 at 8:46 am

Much better nutritional facts! I find that a lot of the women I know go to either extreme when pregnant- are super concerned about fitting into a bikini 15 minutes after giving birth or take eating for 2 literally. You seem to be very balanced- in tune to what your body needs but not afraid to eat a few “empty” calories when you want. As you show here, even bisquick can be part of a healthy breakfast.

Sorry to be nosy but are you planning on finding out the gender or waiting until she’s born?

Heather Eats Almond Butter June 30, 2010 at 8:58 am

Rachael, We find out the gender tomorrow morning!!! I cannot wait, and will definitely be sharing the news with everyone. :)

Tabitha June 30, 2010 at 8:46 am

I’m missing the innovation part of the brain that you have, every time I come here I’m slack jawed in wonder!

Heather Eats Almond Butter June 30, 2010 at 8:57 am

Tabitha, Haha – I’m just bored with an insatiable appetite. It will cause you to get quite creative. ;)

Annabel @ www.FeedMeImCranky.com June 30, 2010 at 8:47 am

you’re amazing!

Heather Eats Almond Butter June 30, 2010 at 8:56 am

Thanks Annabel. :)

nikkionlunch June 30, 2010 at 8:50 am

Geez, that apple pie you made has my mouth watering. I’m going to have to make it.

saltytooth June 30, 2010 at 8:51 am

I love your cravings! I need a good excuse for cravings.

Sarah (from See Sarah Eat) June 30, 2010 at 8:56 am

Wow, you are so creative! I love that you are able to make what you are craving, in a healthy way, and that you have been able to relax your “rules” a little bit. You totally need to start writing a cookbook :)

Jenna June 30, 2010 at 9:03 am

Swoooon. You are making me HUNGRY! Yes, this is much, much better than The Cheesecake Factory’s nutritional stats!

Jenny June 30, 2010 at 9:06 am

I definetly would order the HEAB version!

Morgan June 30, 2010 at 9:08 am

That looks so good! I may have to go pick up some Bisquick after all of the yummy things you have made lately!
Eat what you want and your body needs. It sounds like you are being smart and careful with it, and not being one of thsoe pregnant women who has the logic that you can eat absolutely anything you want, no limits! You’re a healthy person, who is staying active, it’s just fine! Baby will grow up loving lots of yummy foods!
I’m worried on my end b/c I am craving meat. It’s been such a long time, but I guess if my body is telling me, then maybe I shoudl listen?

Heather Eats Almond Butter June 30, 2010 at 9:20 am

Morgan, Yes, listen. :)

Victoria June 30, 2010 at 9:10 am

Heather, I can totally relate to your feelings; moved from Argentina 2 years ago, and always ate very healthy, our main diet is very healthy to begin with and we dont have so many “greasy” foods down there, so I was afraid of eating other not so healthy stuff that this country had to offer; I guess trying new things and being not THAT strict with ourselves helps us sustain a healthy lifestyle; love your blog as always , you have helped me into that transition A LOT.

Heather Eats Almond Butter June 30, 2010 at 9:21 am

Victoria, That makes me so happy to hear. Thanks for reading. :)

Shauna June 30, 2010 at 9:16 am

Pregnancy will do that to ya. On your quest for iron, have you tried Malt-O-Meal? 60% RDA of iron. I have to watch that, too, and it’s my fave winter breakfast. I guess it’s not considered whole grain, but I love it, esp with a little banana cooked in and then a squirt of maple and a dash of cinnamon. Yum! I usually melt in cottage cheese for creaminess and protein. I like it thick like that, but you could sub in your fave protein instead.

Katie June 30, 2010 at 9:17 am

You are a genius! I want to HIRE you when I get pregnant someday, and you can HEABify all of my unhealthy cravings.

Heather Eats Almond Butter June 30, 2010 at 9:21 am

Katie, I would love to be your personal chef. Just email when you get pregnant, and I’ll show up with Vita-Mix in hand! ;)

Meg June 30, 2010 at 9:25 am

If being a hypocrite means making myself happy and doing what’s best for my soul, then call me one too! :) You are incredible, Heather, and no one should ever call you a hypocrite for doing the things that make you feel good inside. Remember that!

This looks delicious, and what a step up from the Cheesecake Factory, I’m sure it tastes 49539453 times better too ;)

Heather Eats Almond Butter June 30, 2010 at 9:29 am

Thanks for the encouragement as always Meg. :)

Chelsea June 30, 2010 at 9:25 am

I love how you make healthy(yet still delicious) things out of something that would normally not be so healthy! That looks fantastic!
I think it is so great that you are listening to what your body is craving. As someone who is recovering from an eating disorder, I can completely relate to you on that. I was SO scared to eat anything out of my comfort zone when I was in the depths of my ED, and as I had to start gaining weight back I was incredibly petrified of putting anything into my body that wasn’t healthy or low in calories because I didn’t want to gain any weight! I had so many cravings(i felt like a pregnant woman!) because I had deprived myself for about a year, from all the foods that I used to love and enjoy. I still struggle daily with eating, and I am still definitely in recovery, but I have learned to realize that just because you indulge a little too much one day, or have a not so “healthy” dessert or meal, it does NOT mean you are going to gain any weight! Life is too short, and food is too good not to enjoy it!

Congrats on your new baby! :)

Heather Eats Almond Butter June 30, 2010 at 9:30 am

So true Chelsea. So true! Happy to hear you’re doing better. :)

Tina June 30, 2010 at 9:32 am

Mmmm that looks amazing!

I have to say how happy I am to read about someone else who has changed their view of food and how they eat after pregnancy. The same thing happened to me during my first pregnancy and I am so thankful for the openness it gave me with my eating. I feel like I am a healthier person now because I have balance. It truly is a great way to live. And the type of example we would love to set for our kids, I think. I love it!

I was out of town for over a week recently, so I am happy to see all continues to be well with you. :)

Heather Eats Almond Butter June 30, 2010 at 11:50 am

Tina, I could not agree more. I had a lot of trouble with the whole balance thing in the past. I didn’t think moderation was possible for me, but like you, I hope to continue with my lessons learned during pregnancy.

Danielle (Runs on Green) June 30, 2010 at 9:36 am

Heather, if this is the “unhealthiest” you’ve eaten in a while, then I’d say you’ve been doing pretty darn good :D I mean dang…look at the nutrition stats! I’m still trying to fathom the 74 grams of sugar in The Cheesecake Factory’s apple pie…I’m picturing my blood getting really thick & sticky…. :?

annecalista June 30, 2010 at 9:49 am

Mm apple pie and ice cream for breakfast! YUM.

christina June 30, 2010 at 9:51 am

what an awesome redo of the CF’s recipe! NICE!

mapledreams June 30, 2010 at 9:59 am

Life is too short to deny ourselves what we want! Sounds like a lovely breakfast;-) xx

hayleycepeda June 30, 2010 at 10:04 am

Holy mother of all beans – that looks fantastic!!! You are way more creative in the kitchen than I am – the only thing I thought of doing with that Bisquick mix was pancakes and rolls! This is WAY better!!

I love your new approach to food – you seem so happy but you’re still VERY healthy HEABS! :) Do you think you’ll continue eating this way after baby arrives?

Heather Eats Almond Butter June 30, 2010 at 12:09 pm

Hayley, I have yet to try Bisquick pancakes…I’m sure I’ll do it one of these days. :) And yes, I totally wish to be more relaxed around all my rules post-HEABlet. I’ve learned so much about my body, not to mention sanity these past few months…and I don’t ever want to go back to being so strict and hard on myself.

lindsay June 30, 2010 at 10:14 am

I’m thinking you should start up a home meal catering service for Pregnant women! Your recipes are amazing and hit those cravings spot on. Just a thought. ;)

Heather Eats Almond Butter June 30, 2010 at 12:07 pm

Lindsay, I’m thinking a pregnancy craving cookbook. Hello out there publishers…are you reading this?!? ;)

Justine June 30, 2010 at 10:18 am

YUM HEAB!!! Looks delish. Wish we could have done lunch this week but my poor angel baby is still trying to get better. Thats ok though because by the time I get back from vaca you should have a nice big ole baby bump for me to rub on :) :) <3. Cant wait to see you when I get back!

Love Ya,
Justine

Heather Eats Almond Butter June 30, 2010 at 12:06 pm

No worries Justine. I hope Little One is all better soon, and I can’t wait to see you when you get back!

Frugal 'n' Fit! June 30, 2010 at 10:36 am

I’m in the same boat as you, but am still struggling with letting myself eat what my body craves instead of what my brain thinks is right. Your blog is most definitely a positive influence! Now if only I could figure out how to make some apple pie for breakfast for myself.

Heather Eats Almond Butter June 30, 2010 at 12:05 pm

Frugal n Fit, Believe me, I still struggle too. If I ate everything my body wanted, It would not be pretty…think lots of trips to McDonald’s and Arby’s. Gotta draw the line somewhere. :)

Heather June 30, 2010 at 10:49 am

HEATHER!! I understand! (although you seem to be doing much better than I am….)

I’ve been trying to eat better/clean up my diet, but pregnancy isn’t exactly the ideal time. Some days I do great and feel awesome, and then some days all I want to do is eat half a pan of fudgy brownies or an entire loaf of french bread.

Today, it’s macaroni and cheese. I know it’s processed, I know it’s from a box, I know it’s full of crap and has no nutritional value, I know that the cheese sauce is an unnatural shade of orange and I don’t know what’s in it….but is there anything more delicious in this entire world????

My brain says, “No, you’re going to have roasted broccoli and lentil soup for dinner,” and all my body wants is processed junk. With a side of chocolate chip cookies. (Did I say “side”? I meant an entire plate.)

I think part of the problem is that my husband’s been gone for a few weeks, and when I get bored/lonely I want to bake/cook. (And we’re not talking steamed carrots with brown rice.)

So….you seem to be doing well at balancing. I’ll try to emulate that. I try so hard but you’d think my motto sometimes was “Indulge until you want to puke!” :)

Heather Eats Almond Butter June 30, 2010 at 12:02 pm

Heather, Don’t be too hard on yourself. Trust me, the mac & cheese and fudge brownies are calling my name too, but I’m really trying hard to not to completely indulge. Goodness, if I did, I’d be at Arby’s everyday with a big Beef ‘N Cheddar and a mocha shake. Hehe. Just do the best you can and listen to your body. I know I need to gain weight for a healthy pregnancy, but I admit to a fear of gaining too much as I know it’s not good for either the HEABlet or myself. If you’re ever just dying for some of the processed junk, eat a little, or shoot me an email, and I’ll help you HEABify! :)

Mama Pea June 30, 2010 at 10:53 am

I actually appreciate your journey, our intuitive choices, your balance and your evolution! I think you are brave to share it with all of us and I really think it is something we can ALL learn from. Now make me some pie, woman!

Mama Pea June 30, 2010 at 10:54 am

*your intuitive choices.

Proofread, Mama Pea. Seriously.

Evelyn @ cheers2healthy June 30, 2010 at 10:55 am

Hahaha these comments and responses are too funny : P The apple crisp looks like a great, quick-and-easy treat!

Kathi June 30, 2010 at 10:56 am

How many does this serve?

Heather Eats Almond Butter June 30, 2010 at 11:57 am

Kathi, I ate half the pie with my protein ice-cream. The nutritional stats are for 1/2 the pie + the ice-cream. So, the entire pie recipe serves 2.

Gina June 30, 2010 at 11:01 am

that is a bunch a sugar for pie….. i would much rather have a dairy queen blizzard lol ;)
your pie looks amazing! And I am so happy that this pregnancy has taught you so much, you are going to be such a wonderful Mom! :D

Katherine: What About Summer? June 30, 2010 at 11:09 am

never ceasing to amaze me with the creative recipes (I mean you, not the Bisquick :) )

jqlee June 30, 2010 at 11:36 am

good work heather!

and its not like you are eating total crap like cookie and stuff. you are still making your own foods and eating wholesome things. im glad you can eat that bowl of cereal now if you wanted to :)

Averie (LoveVeggiesAndYoga) June 30, 2010 at 11:38 am

Great work on this one…love apple pie anything :)

Have a fab day and keep up doing all your reading and trust in your body and your soul :)

xoxo

julie June 30, 2010 at 11:40 am

seriously girl you have got to email bisquick and tell them they should hire you asapple. actually cc the cheesecake factory and let them know they should have you on board as well ;)

about to make your cado cakes!!!

homecookedem June 30, 2010 at 11:45 am

That looks deeeeelicious!! I want some!!

I think it’s TOTALLY normal to loosen the reigns during pregnancy. In fact, my husband told me that my new found freedom with food is actually a beautiful thing. I used to NEVER eat chips with my sandwich at lunch b/c I didn’t think it was healthy. I would have carrot sticks or an apple instead. WHO CARES if I have chips at lunch?? I will burn it off during one of my walks or whatever. They will not make me gain weight. Anyway, that’s just one example of how I also have started enjoying food in a whole new way. Another thing is I used to never buy specialty stuff from the bakery or deli b/c I didn’t know the exact nutritional stats. Now I don’t care – it tastes better to me and as long as I’m eating a normal portion of it, no big deal!!

I hope BOTH of us continue to enjoy our food and not be quite so restrictive even after the baby. Of course health comes first, but life is just way too short to deprive ourselves of the fun foods we truly love.

Lots of Love Heather!! And Heablet!! :)

Heather Eats Almond Butter June 30, 2010 at 11:53 am

Em, Love you too, and so happy you are on this same journey with me. Sounds like we’re both learning a lot about ourselves and our bodies! :)

Susannah June 30, 2010 at 12:13 pm

I can’t wait to make some of your protein ice cream! Maybe I will try it this weekend at the lake. YUM! :)

glutenfreemuse June 30, 2010 at 12:15 pm

Heather,

I am so proud of you! I think that you have reached nutrition nirvana :-) I (although no where close to being preggers) have finally stopped being so hard on myself about what I eat. I have actually found that I rarely get cravings anymore since I “let” myself eat stuff more often. Like they say, everything in moderation, right? Kind of like the yoga, relaxing my stringency with yoga and with food. Makes life infinitely more enjoyable. I think that is one of the beautiful lessons that pregnancy teaches women…how to relax and accept that perfection is not necessary :-) Have a great day! Let me know when you come up with a GF version of that scrumdiddlyumptious breakfast concoction!

~Alyssa

Heather Eats Almond Butter June 30, 2010 at 12:18 pm

Alyssa, Thanks so much. I never thought *everything in moderation* was something I could do, but the HEABlet is teaching me that anything is possible. :) And as far as the apple pie goes, according to Bisquick’s website, the company is coming out with a gluten free version sometime this summer. :)

edenseats June 30, 2010 at 12:24 pm

heather, I think your doing awesome, its impossible to eat clean 100 percent of the time. thats not a life. I like that u eat hot dogs, and steak, and bisquick, u make me feel better about doing so as well! You’ll look hot no matter what, remember that “hot ass” search on google?

Heather Eats Almond Butter June 30, 2010 at 12:25 pm

Edenseats, Right – “hot ass”…I need to take a screen shot of that and tape it to my mirror. Thanks for the encouragement! :)

Brynne June 30, 2010 at 12:26 pm

As much as I love eating healthy and feel better doing it, when I get pregnant (far in the future), I definitely plan to listen to my cravings – even if it’s something I wouldn’t normally eat. Thank you for doing this too – it’s so encouraging to see you honoring your body and its cravings!

LesleyG June 30, 2010 at 12:29 pm

I find it wonderful, and remarkable, that you’re allowing yourself to learn so much from your pregnancy regarding diet. I think so many people miss that, and it really is a great, great thing. And something I think you’ll take past your pregnancy, too. Good for you! I am sure many people are learning so much by your willingness to share.

And now I need some biscuits! :)

Nicole June 30, 2010 at 12:32 pm

Heather that looks amazing!! I really need to learn how to make your ice cream. I don’t have a Vitamix so I’m not sure if I could do it…I’ll have to try like hell though bc this just looks too good to pass up!
Also, I hope noone is giving you a hard time about your new eating habits..I might have to go into cyberspace and smack someone… ;)

Heather Eats Almond Butter June 30, 2010 at 2:44 pm

Nicole, Thanks for watching out for me, but thus far, everyone has been super supportive. :)

MarathonVal June 30, 2010 at 12:57 pm

So creative…. I used to LOVE Bisquick but haven’t bought it in years. Looks amazing!

Krystina June 30, 2010 at 2:24 pm

Girl, I’d say that’s a healthy breakfast! Also, it’s awesome that you’re getting more into intuitive eating.

Kim @ Imperfectly Perfect June 30, 2010 at 2:27 pm

Your breakfast looks great! I’m definitely going to have to give that a try in the near future!!

Mary @ Bites and Bliss June 30, 2010 at 3:18 pm

I’m licking the screen!! Mmmmm :)

Kelly June 30, 2010 at 3:31 pm

MUCH BETTER! And you are NOT a hypocrit. What I love so much about you is how real you are. You own everything. You own your food rules, your body image issues, you feelings. It is almost like you just say to the world: “This is me, take it or leave it” and I LOVE that!

Heather Eats Almond Butter June 30, 2010 at 3:35 pm

Wow, thanks Kelly. :)

marshell y. Roper June 30, 2010 at 4:42 pm

Heather,
I say enjoy yourself and eat what ever you feel like eating!!! This is your blessed time from nature & God and you deserve all the happiness in the world while eating….”LOL”. This is “not”the time to be worrying about some stupid foods, save that until after you’ve had the baby!LOL
Actually, I am kind of jealous…because you are having so much fun with eating your hearts desire….LOL. I am seriously thinking about getting pregnant just to have an excuse to eat what ever I want. “JUST JOKING!!”
I so enjoy reading your food excursions! They actually make me laugh and make my day a little brighter!
God Bless~~~Shell
PS When are you going to start the “name game”? Please no food names for the baby!

Heather Eats Almond Butter June 30, 2010 at 5:19 pm

Shell, Sounds like you’re enjoying my food cravings as much as I am. :)

We have both a girls and boys name picked out, but we’re keeping them a secret. :)

Maggie June 30, 2010 at 5:22 pm

I think you know how much I love bisquick :D

Kelsey @ CleanTeenKelsey June 30, 2010 at 5:25 pm

This looks incredible! Is there a bisquick sub by chance?

Also, in your cinnamon protein ice cream, do you use a frozen banana or vanilla protein powder?

Heather Eats Almond Butter June 30, 2010 at 5:29 pm

Kelsey, This morning, I used vanilla protein powder in my cinnamon protein ice-cream, and I’m not sure, but you can try subbing any wholegrain pancake/waffle mix for the Bisquick. I’m going to try that when I run out.

Erica @ ericaunmasked.blogspot.com June 30, 2010 at 6:33 pm

I agree with most everyone’s comments. I can tell you from experience – the more chill you are pregnant – the more chill and relaxed your baby will be. I truly believe it. I was actually pretty ‘chill’ for me and of my friends – the ones that were ‘chill’ – had the chillest babies. the converse is also true. Just be true to yourself – and your cravings. I am so happy for you!

Heather Eats Almond Butter June 30, 2010 at 6:36 pm

Thanks Erica – great advice!

Alisa June 30, 2010 at 6:48 pm

Food is meant to be enjoyed! “Most of the time” healthy is definitely more sustainable than turbo restriction – I think most of us on here have been learning that!

Love that idea for baking a crisp, it looks awesome. And are you single-handedly supporting the Nashville Trader Joe’s?

Heather Eats Almond Butter July 1, 2010 at 9:33 am

Alisa, Haha – you would think. I love all things Trader Joe’s!

Felicia June 30, 2010 at 7:03 pm

very creative!
I’m trying to balance myself right now… and its taking a while. I have a very extreme/addictive personality in a way. I was sooo good for years, only cheating once in a while. Then I just decided to give myself a break, which lead to unhealthy overeating. Now I’m just trying to chill out and not stress over every single bite that isn’t within clean-eating boundaries. Its really hard mentally, especially since there is so much info out there. Anywho, I’m glad I found you when I did, especially since you introduced me to the mother of all blenders :)

Heather Eats Almond Butter July 1, 2010 at 9:37 am

Felicia, Yeah, give up for the Vita-Mix! I am totally extreme/addicted as well, but I’m getting better and better about it, especially where eating is concerned. It’s a hard habit to break, but definitely possible!

sarahsscrumptioussamplings June 30, 2010 at 7:04 pm

You are so freaking clever in the kitchen!! Good and healthy food!!

I completely understand about worrying about gaining weight. I’m exactly the same way! It’s so difficult when you’ve spent so many years trying to lose weight/maintain a certain weight it can be an insanely difficult to be okay with eating certain “bad” food. Or just allow yourself to enjoy a piece of cake (even though you know you won’t gain back 100lbs from one slice but your heart/emotions don’t). So GOOD for you for relaxing and eating what you’re craving without fear because life is too short to be constantly concerned with every single piece of food you eat.

I think I wanna make that apple pie for my dessert tonight :)

Heather Eats Almond Butter July 1, 2010 at 9:36 am

Sarah, So…how was your apple pie last night? ;)

Justine June 30, 2010 at 7:56 pm

Although it’s a bit of a joke to compare the two, while I was on vacation I almost completely let go of my rules an ate all of the things I don’t normally eat and it was such a wonderful experience. It would have been a miserable vacation if I had to study each menu before deciding to eat some where. Sometimes it’s ok to let go a little. :)

Heather Eats Almond Butter July 1, 2010 at 9:35 am

Justine, Totally similar…your vacation was just a little shorter. :) Glad you were able to let go and enjoy yourself!

BroccoliHut June 30, 2010 at 8:30 pm

You are a magician. Just sayin’.

Lisa (bakebikeblog) June 30, 2010 at 8:54 pm

ooooh what great nutrional stats in your version! And talk about a protein fix!

Lauren (Clean Eats in the Dirty South) June 30, 2010 at 9:08 pm

i want to be preggo so i can have an excuse to eat such amazing eats!
look at the amount of protein in there. daaaang! :)

Chocolate Coated Runner June 30, 2010 at 9:22 pm

Yum!!! Tasty and healthy

Serena June 30, 2010 at 9:29 pm

I don’t think you’re a hypocrite! However, I also have mixed feelings about this “orthorexia” explosion on the media. Maybe it just feels like an ‘explosion’ because of all the talk about it on the blogosphere..hm…
I think the most important thing is to listen to our own bodies, but to also strive to be the healthiest we can be for ourselves. That doesn’t mean a cookie every once in a while is out of the question, but it also doesn’t mean 10-12 cookies (or BOXES of cookies) a day is such a good idea either…
it’s all in the great balancing act of life :)

Heather Eats Almond Butter July 1, 2010 at 9:34 am

Sarena, Agreed! :)

Kittie July 1, 2010 at 6:08 am

Oh wow, that looks great. I love apple crisp!

Carolyn July 1, 2010 at 6:36 am

Love the b-quick…!! Also tastes great on top of a bed of cooked broccoli/mushrooms/sweet peppers etc combined with your cheese of choice melted in them… oh yum…

And don’t even get me going on all the “impossible pie” bisquick recipes… there’s even a coconut version…

That crisp recipe is great you invented.. I think you should have a recipe area for Heabified bisquick recipes on your blog…

great.. now i am hungry again…

Heather Eats Almond Butter July 1, 2010 at 9:22 am

Carolyn, OMG – I have seen the Impossible Coconut Pie recipe…and immediately looked away. :)

Sagan July 1, 2010 at 7:38 am

Mmmmm that sounds super good! Yumyumyum. I heart apple pie :)

eatmovelove July 1, 2010 at 8:05 am

I’m telling you Heab – one word…BOOK!!! For Real!! So much better than “Eat this, Not that” – which compare 2 dishes from the same restaurant or whatever or obvious stuff…

no, because your “Eat this” are creative and fun AND EVERYBODY LOVES IT!! Especially since you still use “relatable” items like Bisquick ;)

meghan July 1, 2010 at 8:15 am

HEAB,
Love the recipe! What program do you have where you can calculate the nutrition facts for your homemade dishes?

Meghan

Heather Eats Almond Butter July 1, 2010 at 9:32 am

Meghan, I enter them into the Livestrong Daily Plate: http://www.livestrong.com/thedailyplate.

kelsey@snackingsquirrel.com July 1, 2010 at 10:25 am

oh damn! u let ur creative genius get the best of you!

geez over 600 calories for the regular slice? not fun! ur looks like it would be 800 calories or more since its so creamy looking! i would love the ice cream mixed with the warm pumpkin pie taste.. such a good flavor combination!

xoxo

Ana July 1, 2010 at 11:50 am

TJ’s chunky spiced apples are on my list of things to buy at trader joe’s tomorrow now that I am back home. I am always drooling here wanting to try it every time you mention them, you make them sound too good Heather!

Heather Eats Almond Butter July 1, 2010 at 12:28 pm

Ana, welcome back!! What was your favorite part about Italy?

lissa10279 July 1, 2010 at 12:30 pm

Go you!! :) Looks delish! Anything with apple is a godsend for me. I love seeing you giving in to your cravings. I think that is one of the gifts of pregnancy — we’re truly in tune with our bodies. When I’m craving a burger, it means Baby H needs iron! I’ve been craving (however nutty this may sound) a McDonald’s Happy Meal. I haven’t had McDonald’s in like 6 yrs (save for their yummy cones) but I can’t get the thought of out my head. I think tomorrow will finally be the day )

Heather Eats Almond Butter July 1, 2010 at 12:59 pm

Lissa, I’ve still got Arby’s on the brain, and I WILL go soon…and take lots of photos for you. :)

Brenna Kater, the Oceanskater July 1, 2010 at 5:33 pm

Do you buy the flavored protein? I guess they are all flavored, but chocolate, vanilla or strawberry? I’m almost out of my Sun Warrior chocolate protein powder, and I’m looking to try something new.

Heather Eats Almond Butter July 1, 2010 at 7:39 pm

Brenna, I like the Sun Warrior, but Jay Robb’s chocolate and vanilla rice protein powders are my favorite. However, not a fan of his strawberry.

Ser July 2, 2010 at 4:25 am

I think you are doing an amazing job listening to your body and eating well. There were some days during my pregnancies (especially early on when I was throwing up a lot) that I ate horribly–like potato chips and coke. It is funny that you are craving Arby’s, because during my last pregnancy–when I was so, so sick, throwing up many times a day–there were some days that an Arby’s sandwich was the only think I could eat. And I would always feel better for a little while afterwards. Anyway, all of your food looks wonderful! (And much healthier than chips and coke.)

Heather Eats Almond Butter July 2, 2010 at 5:39 am

Thanks Ser…I will be getting that Arby’s sandwich soon…smothered in Arby’s and Horsey sauce! Can’t get out of my head, and I think my body is screaming for roast beef! :)

Natalie July 2, 2010 at 6:08 am

It is so funny the things we want to eat when pregnant.

Heather Eats Almond Butter July 2, 2010 at 6:36 am

Natalie, It’s crazy. I always kind of laughed off pregnancy cravings, but they are real!!!

Brenna Kater, the Oceanskater July 19, 2010 at 12:17 pm

Are you able to find the rice protein in the stores, or do you buy in on-line? I saw the Jay Robb egg white & whey at Whole Foods, but not the rice.

Heather Eats Almond Butter July 19, 2010 at 12:23 pm

Brenna Kater, I used to work for an alternative MD and we had an account with Jay Robb. So I stocked up on rice protein before I left. I don’t think my Whole Foods carries Jay Robb any longer, but I noticed they do sell his rice protein powder at Kroger, a grocery store chain in Nashville. Ask your Whole Foods to order the rice!