A Salad Fit For A Man

by HEAB on July 1, 2010

It’s been a while since I’ve done a post featuring CD’s eats. For any new readers, CD = Chris, my husband.

Chris runs, but doesn’t eat like a typical high mileage runner. My boy likes his veggies, and lots of them! Here are some past posts detailing how he eats:

CD’s First Marathon

A Day In the Life of CD

CD Refuels

Unfortunately, since the HEABlet came along, stir-fries and roasted vegetables have been outlawed in our kitchen as I just can’t handle the smell. So, my sweet and understanding hubby has been eating his veggies raw and making big salads every night. Thanks CD!

Lately, this is his favorite dinner of choice…

CD’s Salad

Will you try CD’s salad? I did, and trust me, it is delicious!

Tes July 1, 2010 at 10:06 am

Everything I have tried from your blog worked so good so far, I will definitely try this one. It’s healthy and sounds really yummy.

sweetersalt July 1, 2010 at 10:07 am

Well, according to my fiancee, anything with bacon is better!

Jessica @ How Sweet July 1, 2010 at 10:07 am

My hubby is a runner too, but definitely still eats like one. I don’t know if he’d eat this salad but it looks great to me!

Melissa @ For the Love of Health July 1, 2010 at 10:08 am

YES! Looks fantastic! I absolutely love salads because you truly can add so many different ingredients to totally change the dynamic and tastes!

What a sweet hub, too for refraining from the smells that irritate you at this time! :-)

Carbzilla July 1, 2010 at 10:10 am

Drool!

carolinebee July 1, 2010 at 10:13 am

That is ironic that you cant stand the roasted veggie smell! Ha i do need to find me a boy that loves veggie though, for sure :D The salad coating is definitely necessary, i usually shake mine in a tupperware, but CD’s way sounds easier lol.

Kelly July 1, 2010 at 10:17 am

CD is so cute….yall are the perfect little couple! :)

Heather Eats Almond Butter July 1, 2010 at 10:19 am

Thanks Kelly. :)

Erica July 1, 2010 at 10:19 am

So good of the man to understand the heablets needs! Great looking salad. I may try it with a little olive oil vs. the bacon drip ;)

Heather Eats Almond Butter July 1, 2010 at 10:26 am

Erica, CD will be quite disappointed if you skip out on the bacon grease, but no worries. I won’t tell him. ;)

Jenny July 1, 2010 at 10:22 am

Wow! CD eats healthy!!! It’s rare to find a guy who wants to eat salads!

rachel July 1, 2010 at 10:24 am

I just wanted to let you know that the HEABified Apple Pie a la mode- veganized, turned out AMAZING. I looked up the Heart Smart Bisquick and much to my surprise, it’s vegan!! So I just used Ener-G instead of the egg white and omgggggggggggggg. Hello breakfast every day for the forseeable future. Thanks Heather!

Heather Eats Almond Butter July 1, 2010 at 10:25 am

Rachel, So glad you liked it, and I had no idea the Heart Smart Bisquick was vegan. Oh, this will make many readers so happy. Thanks for sharing. :)

dorrybird July 1, 2010 at 10:26 am

That salad looks great! I’m in awe of his marathon time- seriously speedy – wow!

Kellie July 1, 2010 at 10:27 am

Maybe I could get my husband to eat a big salad if I put bacon in it!

Heather Eats Almond Butter July 1, 2010 at 10:35 am

Kellie, I’ve decided most men will eat anything as long as there is bacon involved. ;)

Evan Thomas July 1, 2010 at 10:30 am

That does sound pretty good. I need to get more bacon. Frying chickpeas in with it was so tasty and crispy

rachael July 1, 2010 at 10:30 am

Other than the bacon, his salad looks delish. I would totally try it with tempeh bacon. I usually use a combination of hummus and salsa as salad dressing, so the hummus/spicy mustard combo really intrigues me.

You are such a cute couple! The heablet you two have made is going to be adorable!

Heather Eats Almond Butter July 1, 2010 at 10:38 am

Thanks Racheal! I love tempeh bacon. YUM, and definitely try the hummus/mustard combo. Also excellent with a little nooch and perhaps a bit of sweetener added.

julie July 1, 2010 at 10:32 am

i loveee that your hubs loves his veggies!! i better find a man who’s got an addiction to veggies like i do :) you’re a lucky lady!

scratch that. HE’S a lucky man ;)

kelsey@snackingsquirrel.com July 1, 2010 at 10:34 am

why is it that man salads NEED avocado! ive noticed that time and again with both my brothers and my dad. if its got avos theyre more tempted to try it and love it! crazy!

xoxo <3

Heather Eats Almond Butter July 1, 2010 at 10:37 am

Kelsey, So funny as CD loves his restaurant cobb salads with avocado, but never eats avocado at home. However, I think it would a delicious addition to this salad!

Sarena (The Non-Dairy Queen) July 1, 2010 at 10:38 am

Absolutely (Tony will have my bacon though)!!! Tony would love that combination! He actually made bacon hummus one time. Told his dad it was bean dip with bacon, because the word hummus is too fancy for his parents! Great picture of you two!

carrie @ gingerlemongirl.com July 1, 2010 at 10:39 am

Do you think CD could teach my husband to make some fresh salads like that!! YUM!! He’s a man after my own heart adding bacon!! :-P haha! ;-) Yummy!!

Heather Eats Almond Butter July 1, 2010 at 10:42 am

Carrie, You and CD would get along very well…that boy puts bacon in and on everything! I have to agree though, bacon does make everything betta. ;)

Sarah (from See Sarah Eat) July 1, 2010 at 10:40 am

Your husband is so sweet!

Nicole July 1, 2010 at 10:42 am

HAHA CD’s salad looks a lot like my salads…minus the bacon but that idea sounds awesome. My salads are so big, and I shake shake shake the crap out of mine too. I’m all about trying it with bacon though…bc let’s face it-a plain salad is never enough!
Thanks again for all of your support!!!

Katie July 1, 2010 at 10:43 am

Mmm, I want CD’s salad for lunch. Or now. Delicious! Thanks for sharing.

Scott in Ohio July 1, 2010 at 10:53 am

Holy cow…that’s the spittin’ image of one of my salads.

I, too, make my own dressings but CD’s recipe is genius.

Does CD ever get tired of cleaning and chopping veggies? I feel like that’s all I do sometimes!

Heather Eats Almond Butter July 1, 2010 at 1:00 pm

Scott, Haha – yes! He loves when I chop the veggies for him! :)

eatmovelove July 1, 2010 at 10:54 am

You find raw vegetables are fine HEAB?

Do you eat parm cheese?

Heather Eats Almond Butter July 1, 2010 at 1:07 pm

Eatmovelove, Raw veggies are fine – cooked ones too as long as I don’t have to smell them cooking. I usually avoid parm, but I couldn’t pass up a few bites of that salad!

Brenna Kater, the Oceanskater July 1, 2010 at 10:57 am

I have to chuckle, because whenever I see you write “CD”, I think “cloth diaper” :) Sorry, Chris!! That’s mommy brain for ya.

Heather Eats Almond Butter July 1, 2010 at 1:06 pm

Brenna Kater, Yes, so funny. I’ve been looking into cloth diapering, and I notice everyone shortens it to CD. What kind do you use? I’m leaning toward the Bum Genius.

saltytooth July 1, 2010 at 11:02 am

That is quite a manly salad, looks great!

Heather (Heather's Dish) July 1, 2010 at 11:17 am

man salads are the best :) i love that dressing recipe too! and now i’m craving a salad…with bacon!

Averie (LoveVeggiesAndYoga) July 1, 2010 at 11:21 am

12 yrs ago i would have never dreamed that scott would be eating high raw mostly vegan meals. he was meat and potatoes! now, his dinner nightly is a huge salad and/or veggies with other things, too, but that’s a huge part of it. here’s to men who love their veggies! (and women who gently nudge this trend along!)

Susannah July 1, 2010 at 11:24 am

I LOVE big salads with veggies. I’ve never thought to use hummus as a dressing and can’t wait to spice up my next salad with it. YUM! Thank CD for letting you share :)

Heather Eats Almond Butter July 1, 2010 at 1:04 pm

Susannah, Here’s another great hummus dressing: http://heathereatsalmondbutter.com/recipes/hummus-dressing/

Annie D. @ Annie's Simple Life July 1, 2010 at 11:29 am

NICE!!!! BD would like this salad, too!!!!

Katherine: What About Summer? July 1, 2010 at 11:38 am

Substitute beets for bacon and I’m at your table. Great incorporation of your hubby! I hope your outlawing of food doesn’t last too long and you get no more nausea!

Heather Eats Almond Butter July 1, 2010 at 1:03 pm

Katherine, Me too!

Mary @ Bites and Bliss July 1, 2010 at 11:39 am

Wow, you snagged a rare breed of man right there!

mapledreams July 1, 2010 at 11:47 am

Ooooh tasty XX

nikkionlunch July 1, 2010 at 12:13 pm

Looks wonderful, CD! You’re lucking to have a man with great food choices!

I’ve been thinking about a nice spinach leaf salad with a veggie burger, spoonful of cottage cheese, and some hot sauce for flavor.

marshell y. Roper July 1, 2010 at 12:25 pm

Thanks CD!! Finally something I can enjoy without worrying about too many carbs!
I am running out (Heather) to the store as soon as I finish this post and I will get back with the results later. My mouth is salivating as I type…….GOTTA GO!!!

lindsay July 1, 2010 at 12:32 pm

My hubs loves his veggies and salad too. I think we’re pretty lucky! Tried the marmite yet?

Heather Eats Almond Butter July 1, 2010 at 1:02 pm

Lindsay, not yet…but it’s on the list!

nikkionlunch July 1, 2010 at 12:36 pm

This is a bit off topic, but I just nibbled on one of these and was wondering this: Can you find a way to HEABify Nutty Bars? :)

Heather Eats Almond Butter July 1, 2010 at 1:01 pm
Jenny R. July 1, 2010 at 12:46 pm

That is such a nice picture of you two!

Heather Eats Almond Butter July 1, 2010 at 1:02 pm

Thanks Jenny!

janetha July 1, 2010 at 1:01 pm

i just barely got done eating a salad with that dressing.. sans the grease. it would have made it over the top!

Leanne July 1, 2010 at 1:14 pm

That salad looks wonderful, although I would sub turkey bacon. Nummy

SoloSzabi July 1, 2010 at 1:39 pm

I just checked back the older posts with CD’s meals. I have to say, he has a lucky genetics. 3 whole eggs…. 6 squares Hershey…. ??? If I eat all of this, I start to grove fat immediately. ( I have 15-25 hours cycle training and 3 times 8 miles run every week… plus the gym work outs… dohhhh)

I love the salad idea, I have to try it… but I still stick on the goat cheese – peach omelet….. :)

Heather Eats Almond Butter July 1, 2010 at 1:45 pm

Solo, I’m the same way…even when I used to run and run, sugar + carbs still made me puffy.

janice July 1, 2010 at 1:58 pm

heather how old are you and CD? you guys look young!

Heather Eats Almond Butter July 1, 2010 at 3:40 pm

Janice, You just made my whole day! I’m 34 and Chris is 30. I like ‘em young. ;)

Caroline July 1, 2010 at 1:59 pm

Nice trick for dressing the salads. I must admit, I don’t usually eat salads (too much cutting of lettuce leaves)…but partly because I prefer my veggies cooked…I guess you could say I eat A LOT of cooked salad, then. I love how this page showed me CD’s day of eating. In a weird way, it’s amusing to see the metabolism of a male long distance runner. He is quite talented by the way; did he run competitively in college?

Heather Eats Almond Butter July 1, 2010 at 3:42 pm

Caroline, Yes, CD ran competitively all through high-school and college (Wake Forest). Try the salad dressing trick – it works great!

Ozlem July 1, 2010 at 2:27 pm

I have that very same dress and I have to admit looks much better on you. :)

Heather Eats Almond Butter July 1, 2010 at 3:39 pm

Ozlen, I find that hard to believe. ;)

Erica @ ericaunmasked.blogspot.com July 1, 2010 at 2:54 pm

Hi friend. I love that your hubby, first: eats veggies. Sean will not consider it. makes for interesting meals – nightly. And second – that he is down with the pregnancy nauseau. That can be a beast. I couldn’t stand the smell of roasted chicken. Seriously. And for the nutty bars – how about a way to make them gluten free? That’s a real challenge:) xoxoxo

Heather Eats Almond Butter July 1, 2010 at 3:44 pm

Erica, That’s funny b/c I have been craving chicken like crazy, and ever since Chris had some bad chicken at a Thai restaurant when we were dating, he cannot stand chicken unless it’s shredded up in chicken salad. So, I’ve been buying the kind that is already grilled and cut into strips so that he doesn’t have to smell it…I guess we both make sacrifices for one another.

Gluten Free Nutty Bars…OK, I’ll be thinking. :)

Maggie July 1, 2010 at 3:12 pm

I never thought to put it on the bottom! I would love this salad. Especially the parm and bacon :D I’d probably add some AVOCADO too!

homecookedem July 1, 2010 at 3:14 pm

I think my husband would grab the bacon off the salad and then go rummaging around the kitchen for something else… he’s not a big salad eater… but who knows, he surprises me every once in awhile! I would definitely eat that salad!!

Mama Pea July 1, 2010 at 3:15 pm

Minus the cheese and bacon, that looks like a salad I would LOVE! I’ve been putting mustard on my salads thanks to the HEAB household, and though I get funny looks, it’s nothing I’m not used to by now :)

Heather Eats Almond Butter July 1, 2010 at 3:46 pm

Mama Pea, You know that I will always back your mustard habit. :)

A Teenage Gourmet July 1, 2010 at 3:22 pm

That salad looks delicious! I’ve made protein ice cream three times already. My favorite time has been mango! I made it for breakfast this morning.

Heather Eats Almond Butter July 1, 2010 at 3:45 pm

A Teenage Gourmet, So glad you’re loving the ice-cream. I’ve never made mango – gosh that sounds so good and refreshing right now. I bet pineapple would be good too!

Katie July 1, 2010 at 3:44 pm

YES!!! CD likes the mustard too!!! I am so sad that it has wheat in it. You have no idea.

It is the best mustard with hummus too. I’ve found a generic version, but it isn’t nearly as good.

Heather Eats Almond Butter July 1, 2010 at 3:47 pm

Katie, He LOVES the mustard – thanks again for sending us our first bottle, and I’m so sorry about the wheat. :(

jackie July 1, 2010 at 5:22 pm

hi heather! i just got back from the grocery store and am going to prepare CD’s salad….wish me luck! it looks amazing!!! i finally tried your protein ice cream the other day and am fully in love! lol

Heather Eats Almond Butter July 1, 2010 at 7:40 pm

Jackie, Good luck – although you’ve probably already eaten it – hope it was yummy! :)

Brenna Kater, the Oceanskater July 1, 2010 at 5:32 pm

HEAB, we settled on covers (mainly Bummi Whisper Wraps) and chinese prefolds. But now I’m wishing I got the Bummis with snaps. We got some Bummis with snaps around 18-21 months old because he started figuring out how to unvelcro his dipes. And now the velcros look pretty worn out. My older son has been wearing the same size prefolds for over 2 years and they’re definitely wearing out.

Heather Eats Almond Butter July 1, 2010 at 7:41 pm

Thanks Brenna – good to know!

seemichellecook July 1, 2010 at 6:49 pm

I am definitely trying the bacon and hummus dressing, what a great idea! My hubby is a weight lifter and I have the hardest time getting him to eat protein so bacon does not work with him…..he’s a bit odd for a guy :)

Justine July 1, 2010 at 6:58 pm

I would love to try that salad! Not only do I like beaver sweet hot mustard, but bacon is one of my favorite foods ever!

Lisa (bakebikeblog) July 1, 2010 at 7:47 pm

oooh now THAT is one tasty looking salad!

Pure2raw Twin July 2, 2010 at 5:19 am

Salad looks delicious. I think Michelle and I would get a long great with CD :) We love our veggies as well!!!

Heather Eats Almond Butter July 2, 2010 at 5:42 am

Pure2Raw, I know you would…CD loves your macaroons! :)

Kelsey @ CleanTeenKelsey July 3, 2010 at 6:12 pm

Haha, that’s awesome. I’m sure it’s great to be married to someone that enjoys veggies as much as you do. I’m only 16, but hopefully whoever I marry will be tolerant of my odd diet. :P

Heather Eats Almond Butter July 3, 2010 at 7:13 pm

Kelsey, He’s out there. :)