The Gender Cake

by HEAB on July 2, 2010

So, it’s official. CD and I are having a…

and to celebrate, we had a cookout at my mom’s house last night. I brought the cake. πŸ™‚

First I used my butternut squash fudge recipe to make the cake layers…

Simply mix one can of pureed butternut squash with 1 box of brownie mix. Then spoon the brownie mix into two round cake pans and bake in a 350Β° oven for 35 minutes. One of my friends taught me to always cut out a round piece of wax paper and stick it to the bottom of the cake pan with a bit of butter (or coconut oil) to keep your cake from sticking to the pan. Works great!

Next up, I thawed out my favorite Coconut Milk ice-cream for about 10 minutes and then used a little over 1/2 of the pint as the cake filling. I then frosted the entire cake with TruWhip and used dark chocolate chunks for the topping. CD dared me to make a gender specific design…I totally could have managed a chocolate chip penis, but a chocolate chip vagina proved to be too much of a challenge. So, I simply went with Girl. πŸ˜‰

We dined on spinach salads with buffalo ranch grass fed burgers (add 2 TBSP wing sauce and 1/2 packet ranch seasoning to 1lb beef – thanks for the inspiration J. Bean!)…

and lots of cake…

Thanks to everyone for your kind words and encouragement thus far, and many thanks to my family for celebrating with us last night. CD and I couldn’t be more excited!

Oh, and yes, we have a name picked out, but it’s a secret. πŸ™‚

Susan July 10, 2010 at 2:41 pm

EEEEE!!! Congrats!!! I had a feeling it would be a girl. Seriously. I’m not just saying that πŸ˜› That cake looks like the perfect way to celebrate too – SO happy for you two!!

Heather Eats Almond Butter July 10, 2010 at 2:58 pm

Thanks Susan! πŸ™‚

Lauren July 6, 2010 at 2:23 pm

Big smile on my face when I saw that cake! Congratulations!!

Heather Eats Almond Butter July 6, 2010 at 4:32 pm

Thanks Lauren! πŸ™‚

foodiefresh July 5, 2010 at 11:06 am

Congratulations on the Heab-lette! Little girls are so sweet. I’m so excited to find out what her name is (I’m obsessed with cool baby names), but good for you for keeping it a secret. There should be some things you get to treasure for a while, just between you and CD. πŸ™‚

Heather Eats Almond Butter July 5, 2010 at 11:28 am

Thanks Foodiefresh. πŸ™‚

Efi July 4, 2010 at 10:55 pm

This muffin base is a spectacular idea! I ll definitely try it!
Also nice scarf πŸ™‚

Heather Eats Almond Butter July 5, 2010 at 7:21 am

Efi, Thanks. πŸ™‚

Bekah July 4, 2010 at 5:38 pm

best. gender. cake. ever.

and yayyy could not be more happy for you heather. cannot wait to hear her name! πŸ™‚

Heather Eats Almond Butter July 4, 2010 at 6:20 pm

Thanks Beeks! πŸ™‚

Allie (Protein Girl) July 4, 2010 at 8:10 am

Yay! Yay! Yay!

Gena July 3, 2010 at 6:27 pm

Aw, honey, what joyous news! I have no reservations about admitting that, if I decide to have children, I’d prefer to have girls. (Not that I wouldn’t get psyched either way.) Congrats!

Kelsey @ CleanTeenKelsey July 3, 2010 at 6:13 pm

Aww, congrats on your baby girl! I’m so excited for you. πŸ™‚

Brynne July 3, 2010 at 5:44 pm

Definitely LOLed at your cake decorating ideas! CONGRATULATIONS!!

Tatianna July 3, 2010 at 3:34 pm

Thanks for the comment πŸ™‚

Even though I’ve never commented on your blog.. I’ve actually been reading it for quite some time now! I’ve been super busy, so I am just catching up now and I really wanted to say congratulations on the girl!

Knowing the gender must be so exciting! Surely she is going to grow up to be one amazing girl having such a prime example.

Ps. That cake looks devine πŸ™‚
<3 Tat

Shannon July 3, 2010 at 11:16 am

CONGRATS!!! very exciting πŸ™‚

glutenfreemuse July 3, 2010 at 9:50 am

Heather, Wow!! That is so great! I had a feeling the HEABlet was a girl πŸ™‚ Yay for you!!

Sarena (The Non-Dairy Queen) July 3, 2010 at 8:57 am

Congratulations sweetie! You two are just glowing and I think that is just amazing! I am so happy for your little family! What an exciting adventure!

Sagan July 3, 2010 at 8:13 am

Michelle July 3, 2010 at 8:09 am

Oh a GIRL! As a mommy to three little girls, trust me, it it FUN!!! Congrats and I am sure you already got this advice but if anyone asks you the name, just say, “We have a short list but are waiting until we meet her to decide on her name” That usually keeps people quiet. πŸ˜‰

LOVED your healthy ice cream cake too!

PS – Pregnancy is definitely agreeing with you!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! You are radiant.

Heather Eats Almond Butter July 3, 2010 at 9:37 am

Thanks Michelle and great advice regarding the name!

CaSaundra July 3, 2010 at 6:22 am

Congrats Heather! You and CD will make fabulous parents to your baby girl πŸ™‚

Ana July 3, 2010 at 6:12 am

Congratulations Heather and CD! It is so exciting to find out the sex of the baby!!!!
I was going to say before that from the shape of your bump I would guess it was a girl… did anyone say that to you?
I am really happy for you guys, this is going to be one beautiful and lucky baby girl!!
That slice of cake on your hand in the pic looks so delicious, I love your ideas!!

Heather Eats Almond Butter July 3, 2010 at 6:51 am

Ana, No one commented on the shape of my bump, but everyone said based on my cravings for meat and aversions for all vegetable, that I was having a girl. Guess they were right! πŸ™‚

carolinebee July 3, 2010 at 5:27 am

OOO MAN the lil heablet is gonna be a chocolate lova, awesome!! That is totally my FAVE flavor of Purely Decadent ice cream, Yummm! That is so great you got to spend time with your fam with the happy news πŸ˜€ Have a great 4th, xo!

wendy @ ABCs and Garden Peas July 3, 2010 at 4:43 am

Yay! I love that you’re keeping the name a secret…we did that, and although we took a LOT of crap for it (especially from the mother-in-law), I didn’t cave it. It was so much fun to introduce him on the night he was born, and everyone was so excited to hear his name. It was especially nice because his middle name is after my dad, and he was the first to hear his name.

When you find out the sex of your baby, people will often tell you that you shouldn’t because there are so few surprises left in the world, but that’s why keeping the name a secret is so much fun!

Heather Eats Almond Butter July 3, 2010 at 6:55 am

Wendy, My MIL is fine with us keeping the name hush hush – it’s MY mom that’s giving us a hard time, but I WILL NOT cave either. Can’t wait to introduce her!!! πŸ™‚

lena July 3, 2010 at 2:15 am

Congrats! I know from experience there’s nothing sweeter then a little girl (Maybe I’m a little biased). So happy for both of you, can’t wait to hear the name!

Barbara July 3, 2010 at 12:05 am

Heather, there isn’t much to say except CONGRATULATIONS! I knew it would be a girl. I know with CERTAINTY that you will be an excellent mother. She is so lucky to have you as a mom. You exude such a sense of nurturing and love. I know this gorgeous little girl will grow up with a sense of unconditional love and belonging! I am so happy for the both of you! It’s time to start vitamixing some pureed preservative/additive free baby food!

Heather Eats Almond Butter July 3, 2010 at 6:55 am

Thanks Barbara – luv you! πŸ™‚

SoloSzabi July 2, 2010 at 11:59 pm

Congratulation! πŸ™‚
Keep feeding well the little one! πŸ˜‰

Victoria July 2, 2010 at 11:07 pm

Congratulations!!!!!! Sooooo happy for you and your hubby!!!! A girl is company for the rest of your life, what a blessing!!!
Fyi: i am a pediatrician so for the future in case you need a piece of advice… You are more than welcome!!! Enjoy the rest of your pregnancy ;)))

Heather Eats Almond Butter July 3, 2010 at 6:56 am

Thanks Victoria – I’ll keep that in mind as I’m sure I’ll have lots of questions over the next few years! πŸ™‚

Cherie July 2, 2010 at 9:54 pm

Yay!!!! Congrats….so happy for you guys!

kim July 2, 2010 at 9:04 pm

Congrats! Im glad my “brownie” receipe I shared with you many months back made a grand appearance. Didnt I tell you a long time ago, I had a hunch, as you had the exact cravings, feelings I did? SO happy for you and CD! Little girls are so much fun! Although I guess I only have my lil girl to compare to! The best is yet to come! Enjoy πŸ˜‰
I have a few cans of pumpkin hanging out here. 114 degrees outside is where I absolutely refuse to cook anything! Maybe I will send off to you!

Heather Eats Almond Butter July 3, 2010 at 6:58 am

Kim, You called it from the very beginning!!! Try to stay cool, and I hope you guys have a wonderful 4th! My MIL was heading up to Flagstaff to try and escape the heat.

Jill July 2, 2010 at 8:37 pm

Congrats on having a girl! Girls are great. (I have 4 girls so maybe I am biased LOL) Hope you are feeling well πŸ™‚

Annie D. @ Annie's Simple Life July 2, 2010 at 8:06 pm

AHHHH!!!! YAYAYAYYAYAYAYYAYAYYYYY!!!!! I’m so happy for you both!!!!

Pure2Raw Twins July 2, 2010 at 8:04 pm

Congrats again to you girl! Yay for girls. Our sister just had a baby girl and we are aunts now. It is crazy. We got to spend the whole morning with our little neice and she is so much fun. Girls are awesome πŸ˜‰ haha

Gina July 2, 2010 at 6:40 pm

Little girls are the best – congrats! I have so much fun with my girl – she is 7 now and we do lots of girly-girl things together. When I was pregnant I was certain I was having a boy – I even referred to the baby as “him” all the time. When she was born and my husband said ‘we have a girl!’ it was quite a shock! But I wouldn’t trade her for the world. I know you’ll enjoy your baby girl as much as I enjoy mine!

Heather Eats Almond Butter July 3, 2010 at 6:45 am

Gina, I know I will too! πŸ™‚

Alisa July 2, 2010 at 6:29 pm

Now that must have been a fun surprise for mom! You two are soooo glowing – congratulations!

marshell y. Roper July 2, 2010 at 6:19 pm

Its a girl! Its a girl! Its a girl!!!! I am happy for you & CD!!!!!!!!!!!
Be blessed~~Shell

eatmovelove July 2, 2010 at 5:56 pm

And you guessed before it would be a girl – because of your cravings haha! πŸ™‚

I LOVE the cake – huge slices necessary.

I just had some myself after a burger too and egg salad and more…felt sick the whole time eating it though – not hungry at all – and just so stressed…I wish I just had listened to my body instead of scarfing it down and finishing my plate “just because”…

God, I treat my body so horribly…

kaitlinwithhoney July 2, 2010 at 5:05 pm

Heather, CONGRATULATIONS! I am so excited for you. You are going to be such a good mom and the HEABlet is going to be so spoiled by your homemade treats. I love it!

Oh, and that cake looks divine. July 2, 2010 at 4:51 pm

thats probably the sweetest and most fulfilling cake you’ll ever enjoy! WOW! its official πŸ˜‰ <3

i hope the little one loved that cake just as much as you and CD hehe πŸ™‚

Melissa @ Tryingtoheal July 2, 2010 at 4:32 pm

ah!!!! congrats!!! so exciting!!!

Mandy July 2, 2010 at 4:31 pm

It’s a girl!!! Happy tears. So excited for you. She is gonna be GORGEOUS. I love the cake idea…I might have to steal that when the time comes (8 weeks away-feels like a lifetime). Lots of Love!

Heather Eats Almond Butter July 2, 2010 at 4:49 pm

Mandy, Can’t wait to hear YOUR news, and do the cake. My family loved it! πŸ™‚

Graygrrrl July 2, 2010 at 4:27 pm

Congrats!!! Any names picked out?

Heather Eats Almond Butter July 2, 2010 at 4:48 pm

Graygrrrl, Thanks so much. Yes, we have a name, but we’re keeping it a secret. πŸ™‚

Melissa July 2, 2010 at 3:59 pm

congratulations!! Such an exciting time. Love how you broke the news with a cake:)

missyrayn July 2, 2010 at 3:34 pm

I love daddy daughter relationships πŸ™‚ I’m so happy for you both.

Katherine: What About Summer? July 2, 2010 at 3:34 pm

Congrats! I’m so excited for the mini-heather. You’re going to be awesome parents (hello, look at the cakes she’s going to have!)

Meg July 2, 2010 at 3:29 pm

Awww a little Heather!!! I am SO happy for you! What a cute cake too! Looks and sounds delicious, although anything involving dessert when HEAB makes it usually is πŸ˜‰ You are a culinary QUEEN! As I’ve said before πŸ™‚

Enjoy your cake and the girl!!

Natalie July 2, 2010 at 3:14 pm

It’s more fun when you keep the name a secret, I think! πŸ™‚ Plus you don’t want to hear what everyone else thinks of the name. Congratulations! A little girl HEABlet πŸ™‚ with an inspiring mama she’ll want to be just like! Love the cake !

Jenny R. July 2, 2010 at 2:44 pm

congrats!! you could have made boobies…little mounds of whipped cream with chocolate chips. cake right?

Heather Eats Almond Butter July 2, 2010 at 2:47 pm

Jenny, Good call. Next cake for sure! πŸ™‚

Jessica R. July 2, 2010 at 2:36 pm

Congrats, that is wonderful! Travis and I are so happy for you and Chris!!!!

Mary @ Bites and Bliss July 2, 2010 at 2:28 pm

Congratulations, Heather!!! She’s going to be such a princess πŸ™‚

Mama Pea July 2, 2010 at 2:15 pm

I’ve got to say, having little girls is the best. You will be such a good role model for them too. Love you guys!

Graze With Me July 2, 2010 at 2:15 pm

YAY!! I was wondering if you were going to spill that little tidbit to the blog world. Thanks for sharing! Also thanks for not posting a chocolate chip vag…I’m at work and that would just be awkward to explain to anyone looking over my shoulder. πŸ™‚

Natalie July 2, 2010 at 1:58 pm

Congrats!!!!! so amazing to hear! little girls are so funn.. you can dress them up in all sorts of cute little dresses =)

and that cake you made! what a great way to tell your parents! hahahah i definitely laughed out loud when i read about the vagina/penis cake! hahahahah (theres a bakery in san francisco that sells penis cookies!)

Tamizn July 2, 2010 at 1:43 pm

Congrats on having a girl!!!!!!!!!!! x x

Michelle July 2, 2010 at 1:39 pm

awwwww. congratulations on the baby girl. Little girls are special. I’m sure little boys are too but I only have a girl.

JJ [greenbeanskier] July 2, 2010 at 1:20 pm

heather, congratulations on finding out that the HEABlet is a girl! how exciting! i can’t wait to see your belly grow and her beautiful face when she comes into this world.

LesleyG July 2, 2010 at 1:14 pm

Awww, a little almond butter princess! πŸ˜‰ haha. Congratulations, guys!

Luna July 2, 2010 at 1:11 pm

congrats!!!!una bella bimba!!

Kellie July 2, 2010 at 12:52 pm

Little girls are so great. Congratulations!

jess July 2, 2010 at 12:47 pm

congrats!! can’t wait to “meet” the heablet!

Caroline July 2, 2010 at 12:43 pm

What a smart-sounding cake…butternut squash fudge MM…just curious, can you taste the squash (I hope so!) Congratss!!! Girls are the best, everyone knows.

Heather Eats Almond Butter July 2, 2010 at 1:16 pm

Caroline, You can sort of taste the squash, but I love it. The original recipe calls for canned pumpkin which probably wouldn’t be as noticeable. It’s the yummy.

Averie (LoveVeggiesAndYoga) July 2, 2010 at 12:24 pm

I knew it! Congrats! I am kinda partial to little girls. And the name, I know if you have it picked out this early, that it totally spoke to you…and that it was so obvious for you…and that it will be beautiful.

CONGRATS!!! The two of you are glowing in these pics πŸ™‚

janetha July 2, 2010 at 12:18 pm

RenΓ©e July 2, 2010 at 12:17 pm

My sister finds out the sex of hers next week!

Heather Eats Almond Butter July 2, 2010 at 1:17 pm

Renee, Congrats to your sister! πŸ™‚

Taylor July 2, 2010 at 12:15 pm

AHHH! πŸ˜€ Congratulations!!! You should put some sonogram pictures up, if you can!

Heather Eats Almond Butter July 2, 2010 at 1:18 pm

Taylor, I thought about it, but then decided our little girl might not like her butt put on the Internet. πŸ˜‰

edenseats July 2, 2010 at 12:07 pm

Girls rule! I know she’ll have such a great role model in you heather! can you give us a hint about the name??

Heather Eats Almond Butter July 2, 2010 at 1:19 pm

Edenseats, Nope, mum’s the word. πŸ˜‰

Erica @ July 2, 2010 at 12:06 pm

YEAH!!! I am so excited for you. Of course – I have a girl too – and you will have so much fun. K is my little shadow – and while of course you would LOVE a boy too – the girls are so special and fun. Mine of course – is super girly – but YEAH. so psyched. so many congratulations – and good for you on holding tight w/ the name. NO ONE knew K’s name until she was ready to greet the world – full attitude and all.

dorrybird July 2, 2010 at 12:01 pm

Yay! Congrats to you and CD on your baby girl! As the youngest of 3 girls and with 3 nieces, I’m all about the girls. πŸ™‚

Lara (Thinspired) July 2, 2010 at 11:45 am

SO excited that the little Heablet is a girl! And she will have almond butter, wherever she goes…. πŸ™‚

Gotta try the squash/pumpkin trick the next time I make a cake. Yummm. Cake.

Erica July 2, 2010 at 11:43 am

awwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwww! Congrats! VERY exciting. I made brownies with pumpkin a couple weeks ago and they were amazing. Totally turning them into a cake (as you did)! What a fabulous idea. Enjoy the 4th. We will be staying here…but we’re definitely getting together next time we’re in Nashville

Heather Eats Almond Butter July 2, 2010 at 1:20 pm

Erica, So sad you guys can’t make it, but I look forward to seeing you on your next visit. I’ll eat some Sweet CeCe’s this weekend in your honor. πŸ™‚

gavrielski July 2, 2010 at 11:42 am

Congratulations, HEAB and CD! Your little girl will be very lucky to have such wonderful parents! πŸ™‚

Dee July 2, 2010 at 11:38 am

Julisa July 2, 2010 at 11:31 am

Congrats, you guys are going to be great parents! The HEABlet will be the belle of the lunchroom with a mom that cooks cakes like that.

Valerie @ City|Life|Eats July 2, 2010 at 11:29 am

Congratulations. And the cake looks great πŸ™‚

hayleycepeda July 2, 2010 at 11:25 am

I can’t stop smiling!!!! I’m so excited for you guys! πŸ™‚ That cake looks sooooo good…I want to eat my computer screen..

inmytummy July 2, 2010 at 11:20 am

Congrats! Pretty cake although a chocolate chip vagina would be pretty cool too.

Lynn July 2, 2010 at 11:10 am

Heather, I know you have a TON of comments on here so I will keep it short and sweet but know that I mean it from my heart:)
Congratulations! I am so excited you guys are having a girl. Enjoy every moment of your pregnancy(as much as possible anyway). I found it to be an absolutely magical time of my life. Amazing things are happening in your body. I just might be preggers right now and would definitely adore a baby girl to go with my rotten boy-toddler :):):) No matter how challenging the challenges are, they are so worth it.

Heather Eats Almond Butter July 2, 2010 at 1:21 pm

Thanks Lynn! πŸ™‚

ashley July 2, 2010 at 11:02 am

Amazing news!!!! Congrats!! You can tell you are both bursting with excitement!! I will take the cake please πŸ™‚

Anna (twelve22) July 2, 2010 at 10:59 am

A girl! How fun. And by the by, I made pumpkin-brownies for the first time this week, and I’m in love with them! That cake you made sounds amazing.

Tina July 2, 2010 at 10:59 am

Oh how exciting!! Girls are so much fun. I love having my little girl. Very happy for you. πŸ™‚

Ginny July 2, 2010 at 10:53 am

Congratulations! A girl – that’s awesome! Thanks for all of the inspiration!

Pearl July 2, 2010 at 10:52 am

CONGRATULATIONS! Your daughter will be absolutely gorgeous and you two will be amaaaazing parents!

Katie July 2, 2010 at 10:45 am

Awwwww – yay!! So happy for you! I have a daughter too, and she is just the best. Of course, I know I’d feel the same way if she’d been a he, but whatever. πŸ™‚ Are you excited about pink? I was NOT and told people not to get me any pink stuff … until right before she was born. Then (and now) I wanted lots of pink stuff – I guess to celebrate how excited I was that she was a girl. Not frilly, but pink. πŸ™‚

What a creative and fun way to share the news! With my fam, when we found it was a girl, I got a couple of these little glass jars at Ikea and filled them with a mixture of sugar, cinnamon and nutmeg. That was their clue. A few just could not figure it out, so we told them to open the jar and hidden inside was a hint, “Sugar and spice and everything nice…” πŸ™‚ I love hearing how people share their news.

We knew for a loooong time that ours would be Naomi but we kept it a surprise until she was born. That bugged some people but we were glad we did. πŸ™‚ Looking forward to hearing what your girl’s name is eventually. Will you post any ultrasound pictures?

Heather Eats Almond Butter July 2, 2010 at 1:24 pm

Katie, Your comment made me laugh as I am totally against the pink right now too! No pink nursery or anything, but I wouldn’t mind some pink outfits…but no, definitely nothing frilly as I’ve never been a frilly girl myself! πŸ™‚

Yeah, my family is giving me a hard time about keeping the name secret, but I’m not telling! I thought about posting the ultrasound pics, but then I thought against it. Didn’t want to embarrass the HEABlet. Hehe.

I loved the Sugar and Spice jars – so creative! πŸ™‚

Jen July 2, 2010 at 10:44 am

Yay! Congrats! So much fun. πŸ™‚ Ps…that cake looks wonderful! I think I might be trying it out. πŸ™‚

lindsay July 2, 2010 at 10:35 am

OH yea! Another little girl heablet! Adorable. What a wonderful time celebrating!

Natalie (The Sweets Life) July 2, 2010 at 10:33 am

CONGRATS! that is so exciting! enjoy basking in the news this weekend πŸ™‚

Courtney July 2, 2010 at 10:19 am

Congratulations!!! Can’t wait to meet the Little Miss πŸ™‚

LeanGreenLiving July 2, 2010 at 10:13 am

Also, cutest cake EVER. Where did you get those little chocolate squares?

Heather Eats Almond Butter July 2, 2010 at 1:15 pm

LeanGreenLiving, Those chocolate squares are the 365 brand dark chocolate chunks from Whole Foods.

Laura July 2, 2010 at 10:11 am

What lovely news!!! that’s fantastic! i can just see you with a little girl now! i personally have heard Laura is a lovely name πŸ˜‰ ..

the cake also looks amazeeee of course………i’d have liked to see how you woulda created that choc chip vagina though!

Tracey July 2, 2010 at 10:10 am

Congratulations! I’m so thrilled for you!
I always use the brownie mix with canned pumpkin recipe and everyone loves it. I’ll have to try it as a cake with the ice cream filling!

emilydianne July 2, 2010 at 10:06 am

Congratulations! That cake looks divine πŸ™‚

freckledfoodie July 2, 2010 at 9:55 am

awhhhh congrats on the little baby girl heablet!! πŸ™‚

your cake lots delicious! πŸ™‚

Holly July 2, 2010 at 9:51 am

alli July 2, 2010 at 9:50 am

congratulations!!! i can see the happiness in your faces. you two will be fabulous parents!

Stacie @ Imperfectly Healthy July 2, 2010 at 9:50 am

Congrats on the little girl! πŸ™‚ The cake sounds delicious!

Megan @ The Oatmeal Diaries July 2, 2010 at 9:41 am

CONGRATULATIONS! Can’t wait to hear the name you’d decided!!

Bridget July 2, 2010 at 9:40 am

Congrats! I’m so happy for you two – and I love the idea of the butternut sqaush fudge in the cake. Your little girl will be so lucky to have such nice parents!

midgetkeeper July 2, 2010 at 9:36 am

Congrats! That’s so awesome. My first was a girl and she is so much fun!

Lisa @ Early Morning Run July 2, 2010 at 9:23 am

I’m new to your site, but congratulations!! It must be a very exciting time for you!

I love the cake and the recipe. I imagine the recipe could also be used for regular brownies, right? Sounds healthy and delicious! I might just have to try it soon!

Congrats again!

Heather Eats Almond Butter July 2, 2010 at 9:26 am

Lisa, Welcome. πŸ™‚ Thanks for reading, and yes, I usually just make one pan of brownies with the recipe. It originally called for a can of pumpkin, but I couldn’t find any. So, I subbed squash, and I love it!

Rachel (tea and chocolate) July 2, 2010 at 9:10 am

Congrats! You two are going to be awesome parents!

jenna July 2, 2010 at 9:10 am

wow that cake looks scrumptious!!

CONGRATS!! you both look so happy!!! πŸ™‚

The Fit Collegiate July 2, 2010 at 9:01 am

AHHH! Congrats! πŸ™‚ That is so exciting!

Claire July 2, 2010 at 8:59 am

That’s fabulous!! My brother has 4 girls and they are the loves of my life!What a blessing:-)cc

Amber at Berlin's Whimsy July 2, 2010 at 8:59 am

Congratulations!! So exciting and the cake looks so yummy…

rachael July 2, 2010 at 8:56 am

Yay!!! Love how you told your families with a cake.

Melissa R July 2, 2010 at 8:55 am

Yeah!!! Girls Rule !!! So happy for you guys! Prepare to fall head over heels in love πŸ™‚

Katie July 2, 2010 at 8:52 am

YEAH!!!! I was secretly hoping you were having a girl!! Congrats, Heather, I’m so happy for you.

I made brownies with Bob’s Red Mill GF mix using your method last night for a potluck lunch today. I hope everyone likes them as much as I did last night! πŸ™‚

Lori July 2, 2010 at 8:52 am

Congratulations! How exciting for you and CD. You are going to be such great parents!!

Evelyn @ cheers2healthy July 2, 2010 at 8:51 am

Felicia July 2, 2010 at 8:48 am

congrats!!! you will be such amazing parents πŸ™‚

Katie July 2, 2010 at 8:43 am

Yay for cake and yay for little girls!! Aww, I’m so excited for you all. Congratulations!

DiningAndDishing July 2, 2010 at 8:36 am

CONGRATS!!!! Too exciting :).

– Beth @

nikkionlunch July 2, 2010 at 8:31 am

YAY!!!! Congrats to both of you!!

Too bad you couldn’t work out the gender graphics on the cake! πŸ˜‰ It looks delicious, btw. I might try making it for our 4th party!

Katie July 2, 2010 at 8:22 am

She is going to be the most beautiful baby girl ever!! I cant wait to hear what her name will be when she is born!! I bet its beautiful!!

The cake looks so good! I am craving some cake now!!!!!!

lizlivingvegan July 2, 2010 at 8:21 am

Congratulations!!!! That’s so exciting! And I think I’m going to try that butternut squash trick!

MarathonVal July 2, 2010 at 8:19 am

Congrats, HEAB and CD! So exciting… can’t wait to see your little girl in a few months. Also, I’m a bit bummed that you didn’t get the opportunity to make a genitalia shaped cake hahahahah….

Jenny July 2, 2010 at 8:19 am

HOW EXCITING!!!!!! You and CD are going to be such phenomenal parents to that babygirl πŸ™‚

samantha July 2, 2010 at 8:19 am

congratulations, heather! so exciting for you guys.

Jenn (GH) July 2, 2010 at 8:05 am

Congratulations!!!! How adorable!!!!!!!

Allie (Live Laugh Eat) July 2, 2010 at 8:04 am

She’s going to be a darling HeabLETTE πŸ™‚

BethT July 2, 2010 at 8:01 am

Congrats! I’m expecting a girl, as well. Exciting times!

Heather Eats Almond Butter July 2, 2010 at 9:00 am

Beth, So exciting – yes, indeed!!! πŸ™‚

Morgan July 2, 2010 at 7:58 am

A chocolate chip vagina? Hilarious!
Congrats on your little girl!!!

Jenna July 2, 2010 at 7:56 am

Oh my goodness, CONGRATS, mama to be! I am so excited for you both. πŸ™‚

Krystina July 2, 2010 at 7:53 am

Jess @ Jessica is Getting Fit July 2, 2010 at 7:48 am

Aww yay! I’m so glad you guys know what you’re having now! That’s awesome! πŸ˜€

I thought about you last night as we had chicken liver pate bruschetta out at dinner! I still haven’t had your version you sent me because I’m trying to find good chicken livers here in Indy but it’s still on my radar!

Sandra July 2, 2010 at 7:43 am

I have read your blog every day for about a couple months now but never commented.
I just want to say congrats on the pregnancy and finding out it’s a girl. When I found out I was having a girl 2 years ago even though I thought it wouldn’t change anything it felt sort of nice to shop for girl specific things.

Heather Eats Almond Butter July 2, 2010 at 9:06 am

Sandra, Thanks so much and thanks for reading. I felt the same way about finding out, but now that I think about it, I’m looking forward to shopping for cute little girly things. πŸ™‚ Ha, kind of ironic though since I was a total tomboy and refused to ever wear a dress…my poor mama!

Whit July 2, 2010 at 7:42 am

Girls are best. But I might be biased since I only have sisters and they pretty much rock.

Miranda July 2, 2010 at 7:42 am

Congratulations! So happy to hear the news about your little ray of sunshine!

charlotte July 2, 2010 at 7:38 am

When I saw this on FB last night I literally whooped for joy! (I would have done the same if it were a boy – it’s just so fun to be a part of the fun either way!) Congrats to you and CD – your little girl will be beautiful, strong and smart, just like her mama!

Heather Eats Almond Butter July 2, 2010 at 9:06 am

Thanks Charlotte. πŸ™‚

ksgoodeats July 2, 2010 at 7:29 am

CONGRATS HEAB AND CD!!! How exciting!!

Jenny July 2, 2010 at 7:29 am

Congratulations!!!! I’m so happy for you and so excited to read about this journey. You’re going to be an amazing mother!

Anna July 2, 2010 at 7:28 am

Yay!!!!!! Congrats!!! Girls are wonderful! πŸ™‚

Kayla July 2, 2010 at 7:27 am

YAY!!! congrats Heather!!

Maggie July 2, 2010 at 7:25 am

I KNEW IT!!!!!!!

lissa10279 July 2, 2010 at 7:23 am

HEABlet is a giiiirrrlll…HEABlet is a giiiirrrllll πŸ˜‰ Soooo excited for you! πŸ™‚

annecalista July 2, 2010 at 7:19 am

Congrats! That’s so exciting πŸ™‚ A friend of mine just had a baby girl a few weeks ago and named her Clementine! What do you think?

Heather Eats Almond Butter July 2, 2010 at 9:08 am

Annecalista, I think Clementine sounds adorable! Congrats to your friend. πŸ™‚

julie July 2, 2010 at 7:18 am

Jennifer (take the day off) July 2, 2010 at 7:17 am

Congrats! Little girls are the best!

I have heard of replacing oil and eggs with the pumpkin but never squash–enlighten me. Any advantage to using squash instead of pumpkin?

Heather Eats Almond Butter July 2, 2010 at 9:10 am

Jennifer, Yes, the recipe is normally made with pumpkin. I’m thinking it would probably taste better as the pumpkin is milder than the butternut. However, when I made my first batch, there was no pumpkin to be found, and so I used butternut instead. I love it…but I’m thinking most people out there would probably prefer the pumpkin. That being said, my family loved my version, but keep in mind it was loaded with chocolate ice-cream and whipped cream. πŸ˜‰

Little Bookworm July 2, 2010 at 7:15 am

Congratulations on having a girl! The cake looks (and sounds) amazing. πŸ˜€ (Oh and thanks for the chocado sauce recipe – it’s great!)

Dawn July 2, 2010 at 7:12 am

what great news!!! congratulations!!
and how did you get the ice cream to stay solid in that cake?

Heather Eats Almond Butter July 2, 2010 at 8:56 am

Dawn, I refrigerated the cake layers overnight, and as soon as I spread the ice-cream and TruWhip on, I stuck it back in the freezer. It stayed together perfectly!

Susannah July 2, 2010 at 7:12 am

Congratulations! The cake looks amazing, as does the burger. I can’t wait to try both!!

gina (fitnessista) July 2, 2010 at 7:11 am

i totally thought it would be a girl- now i can start shopping for heablet dresses πŸ™‚
as much as i would have liked to see a chocolate va-jay-jay cake, it still turned out lovely. hahah
congratulations again!!
love you <3

ohkansascity July 2, 2010 at 7:10 am

Oh… a girl! That’s so exciting!

And that cake looks delicious. I’m think I’m going to have to attempt that butternut squash-brownie mix combo. So easy.

Miranda @ MirandasJeans July 2, 2010 at 7:09 am

A Girl! Congrats. You must be so happy.

Stephanie July 2, 2010 at 7:09 am

Look at you two! you’re both absolutely glowing! I’m so excited for you. Congratulations on having a baby girl. The cake looks delicious though I totally would’ve loved to have seen how a vagina cake would’ve turned out ha-ha

Stephanie July 2, 2010 at 7:09 am

Congratulations on your baby girl. You look so beautiful…..positively glowing πŸ™‚ Love the cake too!

runningaroundnormal July 2, 2010 at 7:06 am

Ahh!!! So exciting!! πŸ˜€ So happy for you both:)

Sarah July 2, 2010 at 7:02 am

Heather! Oh my goodness this is so exciting! Just curious- what made you decide to find out now rather than waiting until the big day?!
And you and CD are just the most beautiful couple ever. Seriously. He looks so happy he almost looks crazy in one of those pictures ;).

Heather Eats Almond Butter July 2, 2010 at 8:53 am

Sarah, Haha – CD is definitely NOT the crazy one these days…that’s all me. πŸ™‚

I don’t know – we talked about waiting to be surprised as I didn’t care to do a gender specific nursery or anything, but then CD decided he wanted to know which made me want to know. So, we found out. So excited!!!

Rachel @ Suburban Yogini July 2, 2010 at 7:01 am

Everything about this post is cute beyond words!!!

Sarah July 2, 2010 at 7:01 am

That cake looks delicious! What a creative and yummy idea to share your baby’s gender :-).

dmcgirl37 July 2, 2010 at 7:01 am

CONGRATULATIONS!!!! You must be bursting with job!! I’m so happy for you…
Enjoy this wonderful day Heather πŸ™‚

Dana xo

kristy July 2, 2010 at 7:00 am

Congratulations!!! Girls rule, boys drool haha πŸ™‚ I tried the brownies with a can of pumpkin…OMG!!! They are so good they are replacing my almond banana nut muffins as my regular treat! Oh, and you know we’re all dying to know the name πŸ™‚

Heather Eats Almond Butter July 2, 2010 at 8:51 am

Kristy, I have yet to try the recipe with a can of pumpkin – where did you find some? I bet it is delicious – more mild of a flavor than the butternut. Oh, and the name…I’ll never tell. πŸ˜‰

Talia July 2, 2010 at 7:00 am

WHOO HOO! CONGRATULATIONS! I’m so happy for you!!!! πŸ™‚

Shelly July 2, 2010 at 6:58 am

Yay!!! How exciting to be having a baby girl! Congratulations again!

VeggieGirl July 2, 2010 at 6:57 am

Luckiest little girl on the way! πŸ˜€

homecookedem July 2, 2010 at 6:55 am

I KNEW IT!!!!!!!!!!!! πŸ™‚ Oh how exciting!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! πŸ™‚ You would be a good mama to a girl or a boy, but I just so see you with a girl – at least for your first!! πŸ™‚ Awww, she’s gonna be so pretty and sweet just like her mama!!

Heather Eats Almond Butter July 2, 2010 at 8:50 am

Thanks so much Em! When do you find out? Ahh, I can’t wait to hear your news! πŸ™‚

Lindsay July 2, 2010 at 6:54 am

brandi July 2, 2010 at 6:54 am

Congratulations!!!! You and CD look so happy πŸ™‚ I’m so excited for you!

Olivia @ Blissful Runner July 2, 2010 at 6:52 am

Congratulations! And your cake looks beautiful – love the flowers! It makes me want a Hawaiian vacation in the worst way! πŸ™‚

Allison July 2, 2010 at 6:52 am

Awww, that’s awesome! I would imagine a chocolate chip vagina would be hard to construct:)

Heather Eats Almond Butter July 2, 2010 at 8:49 am

Allison, You have no idea. πŸ˜‰

Heather (Perspective Is Everything) July 2, 2010 at 6:51 am

Oh boy! I mean girl! πŸ˜‰ You can just plan on watching CD turn into PAPA BEAR overnight once little Heablet is born πŸ˜€
My hubby was about ready to kick an old lady’s butt at the farmer’s market the other day for scolding our 6 year old! He was livid! She had out sample pretzels and our daughter took 2 instead of one, and this OLD lady went off.
The whole way home he was mumblin’ under his breath! It was kind of amusing.
anyway! CONGRATS on finding out the gender! πŸ˜€

Heather Eats Almond Butter July 2, 2010 at 8:48 am

Heather, That is so cute…sounds like she’s definitely daddy’s little girl. πŸ™‚

Beth @ Beth's Journey to Thin July 2, 2010 at 6:51 am

Congratulations on your baby girl! That cake looks delicious!

ladybugbeauty July 2, 2010 at 6:51 am

awww congrats!

maybe mini ladybugbeauty can marry heablet!

Heather Eats Almond Butter July 2, 2010 at 8:47 am

Haha – thanks so much Lorne…and ya never know!!! πŸ˜‰

Kelly July 2, 2010 at 6:48 am

Oh congratulations! I am so happy for you!!! πŸ™‚

carrie @ July 2, 2010 at 6:48 am

That is SO awesome Heather!! And I still think HEABlet is the best name ever anyways… that’s who she will always be to me!! Your cake looks SO delish! I’m SO trying that! I have a Trader’s Joe’s brownie mix just waiting to be made just like that!! Awesome!!

Meghann July 2, 2010 at 6:47 am

*Andrea* July 2, 2010 at 6:46 am

CONGRATS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! baby girl heab is going to be BEAUTIFUL! and i bet she will grow up eating the best foods πŸ™‚

Julie @ Pickley Pear July 2, 2010 at 6:45 am

Congratulations on having a GIRL! So many cute headbands and dresses and PINK to buy πŸ™‚

Heather July 2, 2010 at 6:45 am

hurray! congratulations on the HEABlette πŸ˜‰

Danielle (Runs on Green) July 2, 2010 at 6:44 am

I’m just as excited as when I saw it on FB!! Congrats πŸ˜€

I work at Macy’s and have to walk by the little girl’s clothes every day and most of the time I have to stop and gush at how cute the little outfits are. I’m always looking for an excuse to buy baby clothes (without having my own…)

Is there any way I could get your address so I can send you a baby outfit?? Seriously, I love this kind of stuff πŸ˜€

Gina G July 2, 2010 at 6:42 am

aww Congrats to both of you!! =D

Sarah R July 2, 2010 at 6:42 am

Awe πŸ™‚ A little girl! So happy for you two πŸ™‚

Evan Thomas July 2, 2010 at 6:41 am

Congratulations! I think I can guess the name; it must be Heabletta! right?

Heather Eats Almond Butter July 2, 2010 at 8:46 am

Evan, Good guess. πŸ™‚

Sarah (from See Sarah Eat) July 2, 2010 at 6:40 am

Congrats on your baby girl! πŸ™‚

Frugal 'n' Fit! July 2, 2010 at 6:38 am

Woohoo! Congratulations!

Jessica @ How Sweet July 2, 2010 at 6:37 am

How exciting! Congrats to you both. πŸ™‚

Kathryn July 2, 2010 at 6:37 am

congrats!!! so happy for you guys!