Starbucks Meets The Gums

by HEAB on July 4, 2010

I had a pancake recipe in mind for this morning, but I woke up feeling cereal. So, since my breakfast wasn’t too exciting or very patriotic (Happy 4th!), I’d like to share last night’s dinner with you. Yesterday was just one of those days when I couldn’t seem to satiate my appetite. I kept picking at food all day long, and when dinner time finally rolled around, I fixed myself a HUGE bowl of veggie love.

I still can’t handle the smell of onions or cruciferous vegetables cooking, but there are plenty of other vegetables out there. Many apologies to my beloved broccoli and Brussels sprouts, but both of you just stink! Last night’s bowl contained an 8 ounce container of mushrooms sauteed with 1 strip of bacon, a handful of cherry tomatoes, 1/4 yellow bell pepper, and some grilled chicken breasts strips. I layered my stir-fry mess over a bed of spinach with crumbled goat cheese, cucumber, sun dried tomatoes, and Annie’s Honey Mustard Vinaigrette. What an amazing blend of flavors! So much food, and my belly was finally content…well almost. It wanted some dessert. :)

Before I ever drank coffee, I discovered a love of coffee flavored ice-cream. In fact, I remember my first bite of Starbucks ice-cream. My parents had some in the freezer while we were at the beach, and although I thought I didn’t like coffee flavored anything, I believe I ate almost the entire quart all by myself. One small bite, and I was hooked! Anyway, ever since reading about Katie’s 3-Ingredient Coffee Ice-Cream, I’ve had Starbucks on the brain. You know what that means…time to HEABify!

Using 1 packet of this…

I made a big bowl of this…

After blending the Starbucks Decaf Via with 1 cup of almond milk, I then used it as the base for a batch of vanilla protein ice-cream. And there ya have it folks, coffee ice-cream in the blender! Oh, and during the last few seconds of blending, I threw in 3 dark chocolate mini Reese’s peanut butter cups…couldn’t help myself! That ice-cream was just screaming for a little chunkage. :)

I hope everyone has a wonderful 4th! CD and I are having lunch with friends and then stopping by a cookout before the fireworks show tonight. What was your favorite firework as a kid? I loved Roman Candles and Jumping Jacks.

Jessica @ How Sweet July 4, 2010 at 8:06 am

Coffee ice cream is one of my favorite flavors! Yum! Happy 4th of July, Heather!

Heather Eats Almond Butter July 4, 2010 at 8:10 am

You too Jessica! :)

Jenn (GH) July 4, 2010 at 8:10 am

Love coffee ice cream. Before I quit eating packaged refined sugar products Starbucks ice cream was one of my favorites. Brent made some the other day but it wasn’t as good as the Starbucks that I remember. He uses whole, milk, eggs, cream…the whole shebang and it was still a little too icy for my liking.

I have no idea what my favorite fireworks are….I didn’t know they had names!!! Ha!!!

Evan Thomas July 4, 2010 at 8:14 am

Coffee is one of those flavors that–when it’s done right–is oh so good. Nothing says dark and delicious like coffee ice cream with dark chocolate in it.

Lauren (Clean Eats in the Dirty South) July 4, 2010 at 8:19 am

Mmmmnm that looks so good!

glutenfreemuse July 4, 2010 at 8:26 am

I love huge veggie messes :-) I’ve been topping mine with Don Sabrosa salsa, tahini, and nutritional yeast :-) OOOOOOooooh baby! That hits the spot!

~Alyssa

Jess @ Jessica is Getting Fit July 4, 2010 at 8:26 am

Oh I love coffee ice cream – I might have to snag your idea and use a VIA packet to make some COFFEE banana soft serve. Yum!

Sarena (The Non-Dairy Queen) July 4, 2010 at 8:28 am

Happy 4th Heather! Yay! You are back on coffee!!! I love coffee ice cream! I always loved sparklers since I could play with them! We used to run up and down the street with them! Ah, to be a kid again!!!

kelsey@snackingsquirrel.com July 4, 2010 at 8:40 am

wow im slow to comment, lol just commented on the last post hehe.

coffee goes so well in so many things. great flavor to enhance any ice cream, or smoothie, or oats, etc. I havent tried the Via but i did go to starbucks and they had free samples in a bowl.. they were just the single serving ones, but the freaking bowl was empty when i checked which was sad :( i’ll get my hands on some soon enough im sure

xoxo <3
happy 4th of JULY!!!

Heather Eats Almond Butter July 4, 2010 at 10:50 am

Kelsey, Hope you do get to try the Via soon – it’s good stuff!

saltytooth July 4, 2010 at 8:41 am

I was a simple child, I loved sparklers!

Happy Fourth!

Chocolate Covered Katie July 4, 2010 at 8:45 am

Oh HEAB, why do you have to do this to me? You KNOW I don’t have my Vita-Mix! Coffee protein ice cream?! It’s making me seriously think about flying back to Texas right this instant so I can try it.
And on a different note, I am so excited you’re having a girl! She’s going to be the luckiest little girl alive :) .

mayapamela July 4, 2010 at 9:39 am

I knew that fireworks had names, but I definitely don’t know them! I am looking forward to seeing them on the lakefront this year. Congratulations on finding out it’s a girl! Your daughter is going to have a great role model on health and body image.

Heather Eats Almond Butter July 4, 2010 at 10:48 am

Thanks Mayapamela! :)

dorrybird July 4, 2010 at 9:49 am

Happy 4th of July Heather!! I loved Roman candles, too! Anything that was colorful and pretty. The loud crackly ones made me nervous. :)

Heather (Perspective Is Everything) July 4, 2010 at 10:21 am

I’ve been reading your blog for about a year and it was your salad beasts that truly inspired me to eat wayyy more salad. I always liked salads, but never got too creative. Yours are so delish lookin. and although i can never get the ones i make to look that good, I’m grateful to have found a local restaurant that can.
Thanks for the health inspiration :)

Heather Eats Almond Butter July 4, 2010 at 10:49 am

Heather, You’re so welcome. I’m so happy to be craving big veggie messes once again, and so honored to know that they have inspired you! :)

Run Sarah July 4, 2010 at 10:49 am

Happy 4th of July! That coffee ice cream looks SO SO good. I can’t wait to try it out! I loved coffee ice cream before I became hooked on the liquid stuff, too.

eatmovelove July 4, 2010 at 11:02 am

I didn’t know the ‘Bucks made ice cream! A U.S thing?

LOVE Mushrooms!! OH man – I recently discovered Shitake :) …I buy a spaghetti sauce that’s Mushroom and garlic and there are huge ‘shrooms in it…I eat 1/2 the jar in one sitting…before the meal…gotta work on that…

Heather Eats Almond Butter July 4, 2010 at 11:06 am

Eatmovelove, Not sure. Starbucks coffee shops don’t sell the ice-cream. You can only get it at the grocery store.

Natalie July 4, 2010 at 11:44 am

during this pregnancy I had some cravings for coffee – I don’t drink it, but I bet I would love the ice cream. The other day I tried protein ice cream in the vitamix, and there were still chunks of ice. Any recommendations? Your dinner last night looks so good, I was thinking about how lately breakfast foods seem unnecessary and I’m ready for lunch at breakfast. I just need a short order cook to make me some veggies.

Heather Eats Almond Butter July 4, 2010 at 1:33 pm

Natalie, Try adding a tad more guar gum. Xanthan helps make it thick and guar gum helps make it creamy – and smooths things out when it’s too icy. Also, try blending just a little bit longer. I tamp and tamp as I hate it when I sit down to eat my ice-cream and I find a big ice chunk! If I lived near you, I would be happy to come over and make you veggies for breakfast followed by smooth creamy ice-cream for dessert! :)

edenseats July 4, 2010 at 11:50 am

They TOTALLY stink! i like their taste but the smell kills it. I buy frozen broccoli and microwave it and then put in the blender with greek yogurt for broccoli mash, sans smell.
I just bought an ice cream maker so i’m gonna try to come up with some protein ice cream combos myself. Hope u and CD are having a wonderful forth!

Heather Eats Almond Butter July 4, 2010 at 1:35 pm

Same to you eden! :)

Laura July 4, 2010 at 11:56 am

i’m not overly keen on coffee flavoured things, hwoever, ice cream is probably the one thing i cant stand! DELISH xx

Ana July 4, 2010 at 12:04 pm

Awesome idea, coffee ice cream is really good! (even my son likes it!)
Love the veggie bowl, looks delicious! (I don’t like bacon, but everything else I would happily gobble up, yum!)

Michele July 4, 2010 at 12:11 pm

I’m really interesting in trying your protein ice creams! I have a question about the Vita-mix. I know you love yours and I’m thinking about getting one. How important do you think the dry blade option is? I don’t expect to ever make my own flour; the only grain I grind is whole flax seeds. And heck, my cheap blender will grind those. I may try to make almond butter; I’m guessing that would be with the standard wet blade?

Heather Eats Almond Butter July 4, 2010 at 1:34 pm

Michele, I actually own a reconditioned VitaMix 5000 that I bought on sale. Often times, the Vita-mix folks sell models on their website that have been used for demos. It’s a great deal, usually about $100 off, and it still comes with the 7-year warranty. So, if you’re looking for a good deal, I would call their 1-800 number and ask them if they have any available. If you’re interested in buying a completely new model, I would definitely recommend the 5200 (which you can now buy as a reconditioned model as well). I love mine, but my MIL has the 5200 and it seemed a bit more efficient and a little quieter. Still loud though. :) Don’t even bother purchasing the dry blade. It’s a waste of money. I bought it and have never once used it in 5 years. The wet blade can do it all.

Maggie July 4, 2010 at 12:21 pm

Love those Via packets. I first got them out in CA but I haven’t bought any since and I sorely miss them… they are just so much more expensive than regular instant coffee! I will have to splurge :)

Mary @ Bites and Bliss July 4, 2010 at 1:12 pm

You’re taken all all the major chains! I love your HEABfied foods :) Happy fourth!

kneadspeed July 4, 2010 at 1:32 pm

I can’t help but think the HEABlet is going to love having a mom with cooking skills like you. I wish my mom had cooked such wonderful nutritious things!

By the way, have a safe and happy 4th of July. :)

Heather Eats Almond Butter July 4, 2010 at 1:36 pm

Thanks kneadspeed – that is really kind of you to say. :) I hope you have wonderful 4th as well!

Claire July 4, 2010 at 1:42 pm

Holy Moly! I’ve always loved coffee ice cream .I haven’t had it in years due to my lactose intolerance. I must make this!!Happy Independence Day to you and the little family:-)cc

Little Bookworm July 4, 2010 at 2:21 pm

The ice-cream sounds great! Hope you have a great evening! :)

cookingincambridge July 4, 2010 at 4:05 pm

Mmmmm ice cream.

And I understand those hungry days. Whenever we have an intense pentathlon training session, or whenever I swim for over an hour, I just find myself eating allllll day.

Guess our bodies know what they need :)

Kristie July 4, 2010 at 4:06 pm

The gigantic veggie platter sounds insanely good but I’m all over that coffee ice cream. I’m now super excited about the fact that I have a big container of (very old…shh..) instant coffee to put to use!

Katie July 4, 2010 at 4:28 pm

Coffee ice cream is heaven. Very all american of you!

beautyandafeast July 4, 2010 at 5:44 pm

Oh yum…I have nothing else to say. That was in regards to the ice cream :)
-Kati

Melissa @ Tryingtoheal July 4, 2010 at 5:52 pm

what a great veggie dish! def something i’d want ot eat…so i just might tonight!

Danielle (Runs on Green) July 4, 2010 at 6:22 pm

Happy 4th Heather!!

Coffee ice cream…does it get much better?? Me thinks not :D

Averie (LoveVeggiesAndYoga) July 4, 2010 at 8:05 pm

Ive done banana softserve w/ coffee and cocoa powder. IT works well, but not perfect b/c the banana kinda lingers a bit, but it’s ok. But yours looks great!

Ok so at the farmer’s market today, I got a $1/minute massage. Best 10 mins/10 bucks in months! It was actually more of structural integration/rolfing. And it was so good. We’ve chatted before about my chronic neck/back issues and knots…anyway, just thought of you the whole time I was being worked on…wondering what a HEABs massage would be like. One day, one day, I would love to have one! :)

xoxo

Heather Eats Almond Butter July 5, 2010 at 7:27 am

Averie, Someday my friend – for sure! Knots are my specialties. :)

BroccoliHut July 4, 2010 at 9:35 pm

Coffee ice cream was always one of my faves as a kid…I bet it’s been 15 years since I last had some. Might have to whip up your version…

Amanda Y. July 4, 2010 at 9:48 pm

Your food looks delish. I’m not a fan of coffee flavors, and don’t mean to burst any bubbles, but just wanted to mention to be cautious with the amount of caffeine you have while pregnant (I think most dr. say one caffeinated beverage per day), anyways, maybe you don’t have any other caffeine, but just thought I’d mention in case! We all want a very healthy HEABlet!!

Heather Eats Almond Butter July 5, 2010 at 7:25 am

Amanda, No worries – I used the decaf Via, and my only other caffeine intake these days in a little chocolate here and there. The rule of thumb is less than 200 mg per day, and I get no where near that.

seemichellecook July 4, 2010 at 10:31 pm

Yay! I was wondering what to do with my starbucks instant packs (I don’t like them to drink). I find it funny how you avoid cruciferous veggies because that’s the one thing I could NOT tolerate while pregnant and broccoli/brussel sprouts are my all time favorites! So no worries they’ll be back.

Heather Eats Almond Butter July 5, 2010 at 7:26 am

Michelle, I hope so! CD sure misses them. ;)

ladybugbeauty July 5, 2010 at 3:19 am

Speaking of Starbucks, I am currently sitting in Starbucks in KL airport, Malaysia, sipping on a lemon hibiscus ice tea… my first ever, mega yum!

Not a coffee girl myself as it really upsets my Crohn’s. Ice tea or hot chocolate all the way….

Happy Monday

MizFit July 5, 2010 at 3:55 am

as a kid?
now?
Im not so much the fireworks fan.

#ImAMisfitThatWay

DiningAndDishing July 5, 2010 at 8:26 am

Do sparklers count as fireworks?? I loved (still love) them because they’re interactive :) .

- Beth @ http://www.DiningAndDishing.com

Heather Eats Almond Butter July 5, 2010 at 11:26 am

Dining and Dishing, Yep, sparklers definitely count! :)

Brenna Kater, the Oceanskater July 5, 2010 at 12:33 pm

This is hilarious!! I was JUST thinking of whether or not I could use the free samples we received of Starbucks Via in protein ice cream! You rock!

Gena July 5, 2010 at 7:43 pm

Well now I know what flavor of protein ice cream I’ll make with my new guar gum :-)

Heather Eats Almond Butter July 6, 2010 at 6:37 am

Gena, Enjoy my fellow coffee lover. :)

Tes July 6, 2010 at 3:52 am

Wow..coffee ice-cream :) perfect for a late night comfort food :)

nikkionlunch July 6, 2010 at 7:17 am

I’m totally in love with the fireworks that shoot out sparkly arches that twinkle downward until they look much like a weeping willow.

lizlivingvegan July 6, 2010 at 8:11 am

Oh my goodness that coffee ice cream recipe is reason enough for me to take the plunge and buy a vitamix!!!! That looks amazing!

Heather Eats Almond Butter July 6, 2010 at 8:19 am

Liz, The Vita is worth every penny!!!!!

Bekah July 13, 2010 at 7:24 am

Pretty sure I have a picture of me and my dad eating Starbucks ice cream out of the quart container (like going at it!) when I was in 5th grade. BEST ICE CREAM EVER. And that’s saying a lot. I’ll agree its so easy to finish off an entire quart when its so good. In middle school we’d get it on the weekends , each have a bowl, and then another until the container was empty.