Meat & Muffins

by HEAB on July 6, 2010

Brrr, I just ate/drank the biggest smoothie, and I am so cold right now. Honestly, I don’t understand how people can do smoothies in the winter. At least in the summer, you can go warm up outside after breakfast!

I made a mocha smoothie (decaf chocolate coffee protein ice-cream recipe but added more liquid). Very filling…and very cooling. ;)

Yesterday, I took a 90-minute vinyasa yoga class, and I can definitely feel it in my hips today! Lots of hip openers which I love, and Pigeon is feeling so good these days. I especially love leaning forward in Double Pigeon…my favorite right now.

Screen shot 2010-07-06 at 9.38.59 AM.png

Photo source

Yesterday after yoga, I got in a baking mood. Inspired by Mama Pea’s Banana Chocolate Chip Millet Muffins, I decided to bake some of my Almond Butter Banana Nut Muffins for a sick friend.

I used peanut butter and brown sugar, omitted the nuts, and added some chia seeds and dried apples to the batter. They turned out great, and even the pups got to partake. I left out the chocolate chips in two of the muffins and treated the dogs to one muffin each in honor of Einstein’s birthday.

After yoga, baking, cleaning the house, and finishing up the laundry, I was ready for a big salad. CD has been taking good care of me and making me lots of grass fed burgers to make sure I’m getting a good dose of iron. The smell of beef cooking still bothers me, but I have no problem eating it! So, my sweet husband takes our George Foreman grill out back to a studio/storage place we have behind our house and cooks the burgers out there. Thank you CD!!!

For last night’s dinner, I cut up a leftover burger, and sauteed it with mushrooms, spinach, bell pepper, and cherry tomatoes, and served it atop more spinach, crumbled goat cheese, and salsa.

So good!

I actually had my iron levels checked again on Friday, and I’m eager to get the results. Even if my numbers are still low, I am feeling so much better! If I feel a headache coming on, I’ll either eat a burger or a little steak, and it immediately goes away. I really just think my body is needing something in red meat these days, and I’m listening. Time to go thaw out some more steak!

What is your body telling you to eat these days? Are you listening?

Samantha Angela @ Bikini Birthday July 6, 2010 at 9:06 am

Pigeon is by far my favourite yoga pose.

Jessica @ How Sweet July 6, 2010 at 9:07 am

Wow those muffins look incredible! My body loves carbs right now…especially in the form of fruit!

Run Sarah July 6, 2010 at 9:07 am

Those muffins look delicious – what a sweet gift for a friend! And how nice of CD to cook out back – I hate the smell of beef cooking too, whenever Allen makes beef I feel a bit nauseated.

Sarena (The Non-Dairy Queen) July 6, 2010 at 9:12 am

Dang you got a lot accomplished yesterday! You are such a great friend baking for someone who doesn’t feel well! I would say the hip openers are perfect for you! I am so glad you are enjoying yoga and food again. Although you crack me up with having CD cook somewhere else! Honestly, beef cooking doesn’t smell good to me and I am not pregnant. I hope you have a good day and enjoy those steaks tonight! We are getting the crossword movie next on our cue!

Heather Eats Almond Butter July 6, 2010 at 9:14 am

Sarena, Did I ever tell you about watching the Scrabble movie? So entertaining, and what was up with the guy that won? The GI guy – what a wacko…well, they were all kind of wacky, huh? Reminded me a lot of Wordplay…there are some interesting people out there in this world! ;)

Anya @ Fitness & Sunshine July 6, 2010 at 9:16 am

I’ve been craving (and enjoying!) lots of whole grains and different fruits recently (in baked form together as well).

It’s important to give the body what it needs. :)

Carolyn July 6, 2010 at 9:17 am

My body is telling me to eat more Strawberry Whoppers.. well that might just be my ass.. and NO i am not listening… ;-)

Heather Eats Almond Butter July 6, 2010 at 9:23 am

Carolyn, Funny, my ass is telling me the same exact thing! ;)

Erica July 6, 2010 at 9:18 am

Food makes the best gift, especially when someone isn’t feeling well! So sweet of you to make the amazing looking muffins . They look like they have an awesome texture. My body has been wanting yogurts, smoothies & fruit. I think its the heat.

Lindsay July 6, 2010 at 9:20 am

My body is telling me to eat lighter meals that don’t sit so heavily in my stomach. Summertime temps call for summertime foods! I listened to those urges by whipping up a gazpacho yesterday. Perfect for summer!

Susannah July 6, 2010 at 9:22 am

I have been craving quinoa and tabouli salad. I made both last night and also bought some stuff to make falafel tonight, I can’t wait! So I guess I’m just plain craving these whole grains plus I ALWAYS crave my green smoothies, right now my favorite is watermelon with banana and spinach. YUM!

Amber at Berlin's Whimsy July 6, 2010 at 9:23 am

Wow, those muffins look sooooo darn yummy! So does the coffee protein ice cream! I might have to make some today. I have been following my taste buds these days and I try to eat what I crave. I have to watch it, though, because I’m craving all sorts of things that I typically wouldn’t eat (like ice cream!). I made a yummy cold cucumber soup with yogurt and herbs this weekend—it hit the spot. I’m posting the recipe on my blog.

Morgan @ Life After Bagels July 6, 2010 at 9:26 am

Cooking meat in isolation? Now that’s love! Hahahaha

dorrybird July 6, 2010 at 9:27 am

Those muffins look deelish!

My body has been craving lots of raw veggies and fish lately. I’ll usually add tuna or salmon to a salad at lunch.

Tina July 6, 2010 at 9:30 am

I was just saying to someone how odd it is that so many pregnant women crave beef. Duh! Iron! It makes complete sense. I certainly eat way more beef when pregnant than normal.

jenny (green food diaries) July 6, 2010 at 9:30 am

my body is telling me to eat a ton of whole grains… which i have been doing by a ton, and am feeling more energized. my body’s been craving a giant spectrum of different things lately, though, so i have a feeling this ‘phase’ will fade fairly soon. my body is also telling me to stay away from sugar… which is too bad because there’s summer fruit is abundant! i have organic peaches in my fridge! gah!

Lori July 6, 2010 at 9:38 am

Glad you are feeling better. I have never been a big red meat eater but when I was pregnant with my youngest I craved it! Obviously my body was telling me something. The funny thing is my daughter loves steak, which I barely ever ate until I was pregnant!

Heather Eats Almond Butter July 6, 2010 at 11:36 am

Lori, So funny – I got an email today from What to Expect.com about fetal taste buds, and how the baby will come out and like foods that their mom’s ate while inutero. Oh gosh, the HEABlet is going to LOVE PB Puffins and goat cheese! ;)

lindsay July 6, 2010 at 9:56 am

Ditto. I crave meat a lot these days. Got my fill on the 4th with some BBQ brisket. Hit the spot!

Danielle (Runs on Green) July 6, 2010 at 10:07 am

I hope the results come back better! That’s really nice of your hubby to cook the burgers elsewhere :D

Happy bday to Einstein- the muffins look delish!

Carbzilla July 6, 2010 at 10:07 am

I’m getting back on track TODAY after too much vacation/travel eating, and your posts have me craving big salads and lots of sauteed mushrooms. Thanks!

In the winter I drink my smoothies while standing on my heated bathroom floor. It’s heaven. Mine aren’t made with ice cream so they may not be *quite* as chilly, but the warm floor helps in any case (as long as I don’t step on the cat who also enjoys a warm floor!).

Heather Eats Almond Butter July 6, 2010 at 11:39 am

Carb, So envious – I would sleep in my bathroom if it had heated floors!

A teenage gourmet July 6, 2010 at 10:13 am

My body is telling me that it loves exercise! And it wants three (at least!) meals a day. My family only eats twice a day, so I have to adjust myself.

rachael July 6, 2010 at 10:15 am

Pigeon is such a great pose! I always feel like everyone lights up when I put my class in pigeon.

I have been addicted to frozen fruit “ice-cream” with a drizzle ah-laska syrup lately. I pretty much just eat dinner to get to dessert these days!

Heather Eats Almond Butter July 6, 2010 at 11:50 am

Rachael, Haha – I often want to shout out “I love you” to the teacher when she tells us it’s time for Pigeon! :)

eugenie July 6, 2010 at 10:23 am

my body is telling me i need to lose ten pounds and quit eating so much sugar. and to exercise more. and drink more water and less diet coke.

your muffins look fantastic. i think i’ll go bake something now too. yesterday i made “no pudge” brownies.

pastorleanne July 6, 2010 at 10:41 am

My body is really NOT craving meat these days…so I am working on ways to get iron and protein from other sources. Eggs and almond or peanut butter for protein; lots of spinach for iron. I’m also craving lots of fruit – specifically watermelon and pineapple – I cannot get enough of either.

[I thought my body wanted chocolate frosted brownies, and my husband even bought me some last week, but I ate a small piece and really wasn't in the mood for more. So I ate a big bowl of pineapple instead!!]

Interestingly enough – I’m not pregnant :) . Not sure why my tastes are changing, but it’s for the better, so why fight it?

Heather Eats Almond Butter July 6, 2010 at 11:48 am

Pastorleanne, Watermelon is so amazing right now…pineapple too. Very refreshing fruits in the middle of summer, and kudos to you for going with your body’s cravings. My taste buds tend to crave different things in different seasons, pregnant or not, and I always want more fruit in the summer. Enjoy it! :)

Heather (Heather's Dish) July 6, 2010 at 10:41 am

my body is telling me LOTS OF VEGGIES…and i’m definitely doing what i can to listen! it’s great too…i mean, who wouldn’t love to crave veggies?!

bubblegumgymkat July 6, 2010 at 10:44 am

I think my body is telling me to eat more frozen yogurt..weird. JK NO actually it is wanting more fats..so I am integrating some nut butters and avacados into the diet.

Heather Eats Almond Butter July 6, 2010 at 11:45 am

Bubblegumgymkat, Weird – my body keeps telling me the same thing re. fro-yo. ;)

Fervent Foodie July 6, 2010 at 10:58 am

That mocha smoothie sounds amazing right now! It’s so stinkin hot outside!

Justine July 6, 2010 at 11:01 am

I keep forgetting to include double pigeon in my yoga practice….I think I need to make a little more of an effort- hip openers are some of my favourite poses. I have been eating more processed foods as of late and less raw fruits and veggies and I can tell a huge difference. I am not sleeping well and I just feel kind of blah. It has been a little busy for the past couple of weeks and I am happy to start my old routine again. :)

dmcgirl37 July 6, 2010 at 11:12 am

It’s amazing how much our bodies tell us. It’s even more amazing how much we try to IGNORE what they are telling us. I was talking to a dietitian and she was saying how there is lots of scientific proof about certain foods and things. She was saying we should take it all into account but at the end of the day OUR OWN BODIES are the best proof of what we should be eating or not eating. I thought it was fascinating. She also threw in how individual everyones body is and how one person will have a healthy diet of XX and the other will eating something today different and be healthy. Bodies are just so fascinating to me, I love how smart they are at telling us what we ‘need’.

Dana xo

Heather Eats Almond Butter July 6, 2010 at 11:42 am

Dana, Yes, yes, yes, we’re all so different with different needs. I love learning about the human body as well – such a fascinating machine, and one we should never take for granted!

Katherine: What About Summer? July 6, 2010 at 11:14 am

SUCH a cute muffin. Meat and muffins: good things should not always be combined

Heather Eats Almond Butter July 6, 2010 at 11:40 am

Katherine, Haha – I thought about adding, “but not together” in the title, but I figured y’all would figure that out on your own. ;)

homecookedem July 6, 2010 at 11:24 am

How sweet are you to bring such yummy muffins to your sick friend. Yet another reason why you are such a sweetheart!! :)

Melissa @ For the Love of Health July 6, 2010 at 11:43 am

The baking looks amazing! I have not made a smoothie in a long time but now I have a craving!
When I am not eating enough fruits and vegetables, my body literally craves it. I am not much of a meat eater but there are definitely times I crave meat and I always appease the craving.

Cynthia (It All Changes) July 6, 2010 at 11:56 am

Lately my body has been craving more protein. So I’ve been having lots of nut butter and hummus and stuff to fill it in.

mapledreams July 6, 2010 at 12:05 pm

My iron levels are currently really low and it’s hellish so i really hope yours have topped up a bit:) glad to hear you’re feeling better!

my body has recently been telling me to eat the WHOLE of the chocolate cake in the fridge..ever so slightly worrying xx

A @ Please Don't Eat Me! July 6, 2010 at 12:54 pm

those muffins look sooooo yummy!!!

i actually had a great weekend eating wise, it was the first time in a long time where i didnt stress about what i was eating and just ate. i also forgot to take any pictures too, which is rare.. usually i’ll take pics of everything and then pick and choose a few to talk about. but i totally didnt even think about it. while i think its a rare weekend, i hope it becomes more of the norm and there is less overall worrying.. :)

pol July 6, 2010 at 1:03 pm

hi hon!
My bod is telling me that berries are God’s gift to my belly, buds (taste) and brain. :)

Also, that the more meat, eggs, and fish I eat, the better I feel! :)

Just thinking of you today, my friend and that sweet pumpkin the belly. oh!!!! I went to Gordon foods today and guess what? They had HUGE cans of pumpkin! Yup! It is not Libby’s but it looks good. Can’t wait to eat some tonight wtih turkey. Thanksgiving in July. ;)

Love you! Abbi says hi! XOXO

Heather Eats Almond Butter July 6, 2010 at 1:04 pm

Hi Abbi! :)

pol July 6, 2010 at 1:04 pm

p.s. pigeon pose… OUCH. :P Not my fave, but I love you!!!!!!!!!!

kneadspeed July 6, 2010 at 1:27 pm

I manage to continue my smoothie habit throughout the winter because the discomfort and chills are so worth the taste! :D It also helps to chase the smoothie with something warm, like coffee or a hot meal.

Speaking of iron, I just dicovered the other day that dark chocolate cocoa powder is a good source of iron. Now I have a great excuse to throw it into things (not that I really needed an excuse for anything dark chocolate…)!

Heather Eats Almond Butter July 6, 2010 at 4:25 pm

Kneadspeed – yes, dark chocolate and carob are both great sources of iron. Enjoy!

Mama Pea July 6, 2010 at 1:33 pm

Your muffins look like they have such great texture! And I feel privileged to have been a part of the birthday celebration :) Pea Daddy’s b-day is tomorrow!

Heather Eats Almond Butter July 6, 2010 at 4:28 pm

Happy Birthday to Pea Daddy! :)

Jenn (Jenn's Menu and Lifestyle Blog) July 6, 2010 at 1:48 pm

Those muffins look so good! So does your burger salad. Please send some of your cold shivers over here, it’s VERY hot outside!!

Jenn

Amanda @ Amanda On Foot July 6, 2010 at 2:05 pm

Fruit, fruit and more fruit. I think it’s because it’s summertime and all that water in fruit helps hydrate my body.

Our bodies are so darn smart!

~Amanda

Kelly July 6, 2010 at 2:08 pm

Good looking muffins! Happy Birthday Einstein!

Mary @ Bites and Bliss July 6, 2010 at 2:12 pm

Funny, I just posted about how it’d be weird to have a smoothie in the winter! I have one everyday now after working out so it’ll be interesting to see if my habits change. And right now, my body’s telling me to fill up on protein! I used to crave carbs all the time..but now it’s all about eggs and soymilk lol

Lola July 6, 2010 at 2:19 pm

The smoothie and the muffins look so delicious!! It’s so sweet of you you celebrate your pup’s bday :) and cd is very sweet, too, to cook you the burgers you need :)

Katie July 6, 2010 at 2:40 pm

Food. My body just wants more food. It isn’t even picky, and luckily, I’m not either.

Your burger salad looks fantastic!

Courtney @ Sweet Tooth, Sweet Life July 6, 2010 at 3:17 pm

Mmmm, your smoothie sounds fabulous! I may just have to try that tomorrow! :)
And those muffins?!? If it wasn’t 90 degrees in my house right now, I’d probably be firing up the Kitchen Aid mixer as I type. ;)

maggie July 6, 2010 at 3:41 pm

Love those muffins!

My body has been telling me to be out in the sunshine, drink more water and smile until my cheeks hurt!

Maggie
Mybreakfastblog.com

bananasforbananas July 6, 2010 at 3:58 pm

I’m such a believer in natural healing! I think everything that your body needs can be found in nature and drugs should only be used in extreme cases. I’m so proud of you for treating your body so well and setting this baby up for a great healthy life!

Heather Eats Almond Butter July 6, 2010 at 4:26 pm

Thanks bananas.

Erica @ ericaunmasked.blogspot.com July 6, 2010 at 4:05 pm

Listen to my body – well – after 30 some odd years – I am learning. And I do feel much better for it. That’s for sure!

Heather Eats Almond Butter July 6, 2010 at 4:26 pm

Erica, Ha – only took me 34 years, and I’m still working on it. Always a work in progress. :)

carolinebee July 6, 2010 at 5:09 pm

YUMM!! It’s kinda creepy how similarly we eat Heath :D We will get along verryyyy well WHEN we meet up sometime soon!! I had a big green smoothie today after a walk and I ate with a spoon thinking it would lessen the brain freeze, but no luck. I actually started doing the whole “green smoothie” thing last year when i didn’t have enough iron to give blood, just adding a 1/2 cup or so of frozen chopped spinach to my smoothies- then went I went back in a month or so, my iron level was WAY up!! Good luck i’m sure you’ll be a-ok :D !!

Heather Eats Almond Butter July 7, 2010 at 9:34 am

Caroline, Yes, can’t wait for out meet up someday! I’m thinking steak salads and fro-yo! :)

kelsey@snackingsquirrel.com July 6, 2010 at 5:48 pm

since i cant get enough muffins <3 i totally should have made these for my birthday! i think next year im going to have muffins instead of cake or cupcakes!! why didnt i think of that before. ohhh yummy choc chips (or should i say chunks) and banana!! YES TO THIS YUMMINESS!

hayleycepeda July 6, 2010 at 7:10 pm

I’ve never heard of the double pigeon pose…sounds interesting! Must Google… :) You are such a thoughtful and caring person to make those muffins for your sick friend! Wish we lived closer – I might have to *cough* have you come over to bring me some, too *sniffle*..teehee..

I’d have to say I’m with you on the protein front. I’ve definitely been craving meat! The other day I actually felt light-headed and as soon as I ate some meat I immediately felt better. I hope your iron tests show improvement! I’m still waiting for mine..bah!

Heather Eats Almond Butter July 7, 2010 at 9:03 am

Hayley, Double Pigeon is so great for the hips – good labor prep!

BroccoliHut July 6, 2010 at 7:12 pm

Haha, I am totally one of those people who eats smoothies during the winter. My food cravings know no season, apparently.

glutenfreemuse July 6, 2010 at 7:50 pm

I LOOOVE hip openers!! I need to hit up a yoga class here soon :-) I was totally feeling veggies the other day…glad you are listening up and eating well!!

Today my body said it didn’t need food…I was upset by that feeling :-) So I ate tons of veggies and Don Sabrosa Salsa and then my body said thank you. Weird how sometimes it throws a curve ball!

~Alyssa

Tyrah July 6, 2010 at 8:50 pm

I love hip openers as well, and that double pigeon =)
Happy BD to Einstein, how sweet they get their own cupcakes!
Congrats on the girl btw! =)

Heather Eats Almond Butter July 7, 2010 at 9:09 am

Thanks Tyrah! :)

J@WholeBodyLove July 6, 2010 at 8:55 pm

I love the additon on banana slices to the top of the muffins! I always assumed the ‘nanas would go brown. What’s your secret?

Heather Eats Almond Butter July 7, 2010 at 9:09 am

J, No secret – just pushed a banana slice into the top of each muffin right before baking, and they did not turn brown.

marshell y. Roper July 6, 2010 at 9:28 pm

My body is telling me to eat sweets, sweets, and more sweets!!!
Am I listening?!! Should I tell the truth or lie? Oh’ well, lets just say that I am heading to NY for a week and I am not worrying about watching what I eat. I guess you can say, I got an head start on the foods. I can not wait to wake up to a fresh, hot cream cheese,”everything” bagel.

Heather Eats Almond Butter July 7, 2010 at 9:08 am

Shell, Good for you! Enjoy your trip…and your bagel. Sometimes, it’s good to shock the system – ya know, shake things up a bit. :)

Averie (LoveVeggiesAndYoga) July 6, 2010 at 9:40 pm

Great work on those muffins…they look amazing and next year for their bday, you’ll skip the treats for them b/c you’ll be too busy babyproofing your house w/ a crawling around heablet. Those dogs dont know what’s in store for them :) Seriously you are so sweet to your doggies!!!
xoxo

Heather Eats Almond Butter July 7, 2010 at 9:07 am

Averie, Haha – our neighbors have a 14th month old, and the other day, they had some big truck parked out front with Baby-Proofer printed all over it. I told them to make sure and save the company’s number for me. Going to my first BabyWearer’s meeting next week. Bringing my BabyHawk to learn how to use it. Can’t wait! :)

Megan July 6, 2010 at 10:33 pm

Smoothies never do it for me. Even when I fill them with protein and nut butters I am still hungry after I consume one. I have to have real food to chew on.

My belly is telling me it’s time to get back to better eating habits. I have had way too many weekends of rich food and it’s getting to me. I should be doing a better of listening to it as well but I must admit…I have not.

the♥fashioneatsa July 7, 2010 at 4:49 am

Those muffins are adorable!!! I just wanna squeeze them!! XD lol
My body is unfortunately not very well recently because of stress and is being stubbornly silent (ie. its not cooking up an appetite and so its hard to understand what it needs right now, i want food but my tummy doesnt…) but I’m trying to have a positive attitude and am reading a ton of food bloggies to make me :D !! If my body was talking to me, I think it would be saying PUMPKIN and OATS since they are my favorite foods so thats what I ate today and I’m feeling a little better :) I guess I made the right descision! <3

Heather Eats Almond Butter July 7, 2010 at 9:05 am

Fashioneatsa, Just keep listening to your body and stay positive. Sounds like you’re heading in a good direction. :)

Kristin (Cook, Bake and Nibble) July 7, 2010 at 6:24 am

Mmm, those muffins look great!

I have been craving lots of salads, and MEAT lately- funny enough, I was a vegetarian a month ago. I guess it’s what my bod wants!

xo
Kris

Annie@stronghealthyfit July 7, 2010 at 7:33 am

Your salad and muffins look delicious! My body is telling me to eat less sugar and I’m trying to oblige :-)

Pure2raw twins July 7, 2010 at 12:40 pm

What an amazing husband….great that he likes to cook ; )

I agree smoothies are easier to eat when it is hot out!

nutritionedge July 9, 2010 at 3:32 pm

Hello Liver Pate loving Heather! So glad I recommended that to you… I admit I hesitated! lol. I am so excited for you! Please let me know how your Fe test went! I need to start making more smoothies!
Barbara

Heather Eats Almond Butter July 9, 2010 at 3:44 pm

Barbara, Ugh, iron numbers went DOWN. So, I’m now taking this: http://www.thorne.com/Products/Minerals/prd~SF750.jsp recommended by MD, not my OB. We shall see if it helps, and I need to buy more chicken livers! :)

Barbara July 9, 2010 at 3:33 pm

Barbara
sorry= meant to post under this Name!