New Oat Projects

by HEAB on July 7, 2010

It’s been months since I’ve eaten oats on a regular basis. Remember my oat bran phase? Gosh, I used to eat that stuff at least once, if not twice a day, but hot cereal just hasn’t appealed that much to me over the last few months. I’ll eat it every so often, but I’m no longer living on the stuff…until yesterday. I’ve had the 2 most amazing oat concoctions over the past 24 hours, and I must share them with you.

As you know, I love finding interesting bowls for my hot cereal. Oats In A Jar proved to be a big hit, and Oats In The Ice-Cream Container always makes me smile. Yesterday, I tried something new…

Oats In The Waning TruWhip Container

I cooked 1 serving of quick cooking Irish oats on the stovetop and let them cool a bit (I don’t like putting anything hot into plastic containers). I then added my oatmeal, a few spoonfuls of Trader Joe’s chunky spiced apples, and some cinnamon into what was left of the whipped cream. Oh how it brought me back to my childhood when I used to eat Cool Whip straight from the container with nothing but a spoon.

This morning, taking a cue from my favorite yogini, I made an oat bran blueberry crumble, and dare I say this was even better than my Bisquick apple crisp? Trust me, it was – make this and then email Polly and tell her how much you love her. :)

Polly was kind enough to email me her recipe for one individual crumble. Thanks Polly. It was delicious!

I heated 1 cup of blueberries in the microwave for about 30 seconds. In a separate bowl, I made the crumble with 2 heaping TBSP’s of oat bran, 1 TBSP peanut butter, and a drizzle of maple syrup. I then added the crumble to the blueberries and baked it in a 400° oven for 10 minutes. There was maple cinnamon protein ice-cream involved as well. For the photo, I added one scoop of ice-cream to my crumble, but for my actual breakfast, I dumped the whole crumble into my bowl of ice-cream. :)

My iron levels are still low, and so I’m off to see my MD about some stronger supplements. He practices alternative medicine, and wants me to try these supplements. Good news is that my B12, Vitamin D, and folate levels all looked great. I’ll keep y’all posted.

Enjoy your Wednesday and make Polly’s crumble! :)

Jessica @ How Sweet July 7, 2010 at 9:00 am

That crumble does look delicious. I would love to make it.

operagirlcooks July 7, 2010 at 9:05 am

Yummy looking crumble! Want some please.

Krystina July 7, 2010 at 9:05 am

God that crumble looks AMAZING.

VeggieGirl July 7, 2010 at 9:05 am

Hang in there with the iron – those levels will rise, I know it! <3

Anya @ Fitness & Sunshine July 7, 2010 at 9:06 am

Love the hot and cold combo! :)

Good luck with the iron, I hope it works out!

Stacie July 7, 2010 at 9:07 am

That crumble looks so good! I’m going to have to try that soon!

The Fit Collegiate July 7, 2010 at 9:07 am

Heather, I tried your OIAJ idea for the first time this morning (I know, I know…I’m slow on catching on to these things) and loved it! Your TruWhip container idea sounds just as brilliant. I love making fruit “crumbles” of sorts in the summer. One of my favorites last summer was baking a sliced peach with cinnamon and adding crumbled graham crackers and a dollop of greek yogurt on top.

Heather Eats Almond Butter July 7, 2010 at 9:12 am

Anna, Better late than never. :) Love the graham cracker topping idea, and I hope you’re enjoying your summer at home! :)

allison July 7, 2010 at 9:09 am

oh wow. i love how you admit to what you actually ate as opposed to the picture. your bowl looks JUST as tasty! omg i need xanthum gum and whatever else NOW. that ice cream has been calling my name for months

Heather (Heather's Dish) July 7, 2010 at 9:11 am

YUM…i WILL make polly’s crumble! your breakfasts always make me smile too :)

Maggie July 7, 2010 at 9:13 am

You know when the last time I got in an oat bran phase was (meaning 2+ times per day)? Last SUMMER. I think it’s time again. I know if I start I won’t be able to stop though ;)

Good luck with iron!

BethT July 7, 2010 at 9:14 am

Oats are a thing of the past for me, too. I don’t know if it’s because they’re hot? bland? I’m not sure, but I’ve barely eaten them since the bun arrived in my oven. Odd!

Heather Eats Almond Butter July 7, 2010 at 9:16 am

BethT – I’ve been the same way. All I’ve wanted is cold cereal these days – cold and crunch. However, I think I might be back on the oat train after yesterday. :)

Mae July 7, 2010 at 9:16 am

I think I willll! These look so good :) I wish Truwhip didn’t have casein. I had oats in an ice cream container last week and thought of you… It’s delicious!

Carbzilla July 7, 2010 at 9:20 am

Yum, HEABS! I just ordered a low-carb baking mix and can’t to try crumbles and crisps!

I don’t know how low your iron is but we just had a pregnant friend get an iron infusion. It was covered by insurance, and she felt a million times better (she was super run down which it doesn’t sound like you are). Anyway, just an option you might want to consider. I think her levels were down in the single digits (if that’s possible).

Heather Eats Almond Butter July 7, 2010 at 9:22 am

Carb, I’m not that low yet – hoping the new supplements will help, but good to know there are options!

Run Sarah July 7, 2010 at 9:21 am

Love that oatbran crumble – what a perfect meal for any time of day! I have never tried TruWhip but would love to, I don’t think we have it around here!

vegaholic July 7, 2010 at 9:21 am

Yum! That crumble looks delicious!!! Will have to try it!

Speaking of delicious, I tried something this morning that made me think of you…a sweet omelet consisting of 1 egg, 3 egg whites, goat cheese and dark chocolate. SO GOOD.

Heather Eats Almond Butter July 7, 2010 at 9:23 am

Vegaholic, Your omelet sounds perfect. Glad you enjoyed! :)

missyrayn July 7, 2010 at 9:37 am

That crumble looks soooo good. I love crumbly foods.

Hope that helps your iron. I’m glad all your other levels look good.

Sarah R July 7, 2010 at 9:37 am

Oh those blueberries!! My favorite fruit for sure. Hope the MD can help with those iron levels. At least you are feeling better though.

SoloSzabi July 7, 2010 at 9:54 am

Wooowwwww…
I have to have some oat tonight!:)

Iron:
No caffeine, lots of beetroot, beetroot juice, radish, spinach! And you have to consume plenty of vitamine C is well! We have a quite good syrup in the UK, it called Ferroglobine. I tried the same what you had last time (I don’t remember the name now..) but it didn’t help me either. I know pregnancy low iron is a bit different than my problem….

bubblegumgymkat July 7, 2010 at 10:08 am

my mouth is watering, I need to try that!! My problem with truwhip, is I want to eat the whole container by itself LOL

Chandra July 7, 2010 at 10:10 am

I have struggled with low iron as well- I eat blackstrap molasses on my oatmeal every morning, which has a lot of iron in it. Also load up on the leafy greens (which you already do), and a dose of vitamin C along with iron-rich foods can help with absorption- think tomatoes on your spinach salad or OJ with your molasses-oatmeal. Good luck!

Ana July 7, 2010 at 10:14 am

I am glad your vitamin D and B12 are in check, plus folate is super important for the pregnancy, this is great news Heather! And I am sure your doctor will help you get your iron levels up! When I was really low my doctor gave me Fergon, he said it is easy to absorb and doesn’t cause the side effects. I took it for a couple of months and it did the job pretty quickly, plus it has kept my iron in good shape for a while too. Sometimes we need the stronger stuff just for a while just until all is good again!
I am sure the baby is fine too, they get all they need the ones that get depleted are the mommies, which end up holding true for after they are born too! :-)
Keep taking good care of yourself, it is the best thing you can do for you and your family. When the mom is happy the entire household is happy too, believe me!
And I am sure making that crumble, can’t wait for the blueberries that will be coming on my CSA box this afternoon, just love the idea of oat bran and almond butter in the topping!

Heather Eats Almond Butter July 7, 2010 at 11:07 am

Thanks for the advice Ana…enjoy your blueberries. You will love the crumble!

Danielle (Runs on Green) July 7, 2010 at 10:23 am

The crumble looks *perfect* (as does the protein ice cream!) I had some yesterday and I forgot how good it was. Not to mention it makes the biggest serving ever haha

Oh, and I sent the package out! It should get to you by the end of the week :D And I had to bend the cute little hanger so it would fit in the package gggRRrr

Heather Eats Almond Butter July 7, 2010 at 11:11 am

Danielle, Thanks so much. I can’t wait!!! Oaties to you and yours soon. :)

pol July 7, 2010 at 10:24 am

SO glad you loved it, honey!!!

Crumble for the blueberry in the belly! :P

Tonight D and I go see Zac Brown Band! Chicken Fried is just the best song ever.

Was just nawing on a pineapple core. I love fresh cut pineapple sooo much. But not as much as blueberry crumble. :D

Did I tell you that we maybe might maybe might be getting a PUPPY!?!?!?!

Yup.

More on that latah. XOXO

Heather Eats Almond Butter July 7, 2010 at 11:10 am

Polly, A puppy?!? Oh my gosh, you know how much I love pups. That is so exciting. Send me details!!!

Sarah (from See Sarah Eat) July 7, 2010 at 10:24 am

Sorry about your iron levels but I’m sure they will get up there, you are so determined :) Glad to hear everything else is good.

Kristin (Cook, Bake and Nibble) July 7, 2010 at 10:26 am

Mmm, you’re making me crave hot oats again! I was SO over them when summer started :D

Sorry your iron levels aren’t perfect- you’re getting their, and most important is that you’re working at it!!

xo
Kris

Maren July 7, 2010 at 10:28 am

That’s too bad about your iron levels. I know how frustrating it is when you’re doing all the right things but you just don’t see the positive results medically. At least your doctor practices some alternative medicine, natural suppliments sound much better than perscription dugs. I’m obsessed with all your bakes, they always look blog delish! This blueberry crumble for breakfast is genious.

sweetersalt July 7, 2010 at 10:30 am

Yum – I love me some crumble! I might just have to try that out!

homecookedem July 7, 2010 at 10:56 am

I had an aversion to oats too!! Up until last week… I finally made some with peaches in them and they were glorious!! I’m so glad to have them back in my life because they really are so healthy!! :)

Nicole July 7, 2010 at 10:59 am

I am all over that crumble. I haven’t bought oat bran since I went GF but I’m assuming I can just grind my GF oats and use that? Maybe?

Sorry to hear your iron levels are still low. Bummer. However I love that you’re using an alternative MD. I actually need to send you an email regarding the PCOS. I’m thinking an alternative dr. might be my next option.

Heather Eats Almond Butter July 7, 2010 at 11:08 am

Nicole, Did you ever get that CD-ROM? It never came back to me. :(

Yes, try grinding your oats or just using them whole. That should work.

freckledfoodie July 7, 2010 at 11:00 am

Oats & Truwhip! YUM. This I’ve gotta try.

Marina July 7, 2010 at 11:04 am

oh I should make that crumble! Sounds and looks delicious!

beautyandafeast July 7, 2010 at 11:16 am

Looks so good! I love warm blueberries and how they pop in your mouth :)
-Kati @ beautyandafeast (I finally got a blog!)

Meg July 7, 2010 at 11:21 am

So, you and Polly have officially made me drool. Congratulations! I must must MUST try ice cream for breakfast, or Truwhip. Or both, I think both ;)

Good luck with your iron levels! Hope all goes as planned! Stay cool, it’s SO hot out, blah!

Sarena (The Non-Dairy Queen) July 7, 2010 at 12:19 pm

That looks perfect right now! I just took the boys to the water park for a few hours and now I need a good refreshing, cold sweet treat! I am getting the guar gum next week…I promise. Good luck on those supplements! I hope you find the right ones soon!

Erica @ ericaunmasked.blogspot.com July 7, 2010 at 12:25 pm

HEABy – that breakie (as K calls it) looks deelishhhh…..I think I am drooling. And good for you on your levels. I am so happy for you!

Lola July 7, 2010 at 12:27 pm

It’s been the same with me. I sed to hve a bowl of oatmeal with shredded crrot, raisins and pecans, but all I want know is cheerios or apple oh’s with chopped apple!

Pure2raw twins July 7, 2010 at 12:41 pm

Love Polly!! What an awesome recipe! It looks great ; )

Mary @ Bites and Bliss July 7, 2010 at 12:49 pm

That crumble looks ammmaaazing. Anything crumbly, warm, and that can be served with ice cream’s good in my books!

Jenny July 7, 2010 at 12:49 pm

The summertime heat is killing my love of oats! They now just look at me longingly from my cupboard.

Tila July 7, 2010 at 12:50 pm

Yum, I know what I’m making for dessert tonight! I love your food combinations. And I can’t wait to make protein Ice Cream… sound wonderful… THanks for all the ideas. I check your blog almost daily!

Heather Eats Almond Butter July 7, 2010 at 5:25 pm

Tila, Thanks for checking in with HEAB! Hope you enjoy your dessert tonight. :)

Jessica @ Rawtumn July 7, 2010 at 1:58 pm

Loving that crumble!! I’m so picky when it comes to oats but this looks amazing. Thanks Heather (and Polly!) for sharing! =D

Laura July 7, 2010 at 2:22 pm

YUM! i love the put apple puree on my cereal! so tasty xx

Justine July 7, 2010 at 2:29 pm

Truwhip and oats sounds like such a fantastic idea!

Heather Eats Almond Butter July 7, 2010 at 5:26 pm

Justine, It was. ;)

Katie July 7, 2010 at 2:57 pm

You make healthy dessert breakfasts look so amazing!

Kelly July 7, 2010 at 3:37 pm

YUM! That looks fabulous!!!

mabry July 7, 2010 at 3:40 pm

I just came across your blog. What an inspiring story you have. Need to check out some of your recipes. Your food looks good. I have a blog with a similar story to yours actually. Highest weight was 210 and now down in the 130′s and did some long distance running and then just competed in my first bikini competition to prove to myself that I could do it. What an experience that was. http://www.excusesdontburncalories.blogspot.com/

Johanna B July 7, 2010 at 3:52 pm

You’ll be seeing more comments from me again these days. I’m recovering from my heart attack from Memorial Day weekend. I’m doing great – back to exercising and enjoying healthy foods. I went through a why bother phase. I’m catching up on your blog this afternoon.

Heather Eats Almond Butter July 7, 2010 at 5:26 pm

Johanna B, Oh gosh – so sorry!! What happened? So glad you’re okay.

kneadspeed July 7, 2010 at 5:26 pm

Haha, love the oats in a TruWhip container! Brilliant!

What will it be next? Oats in a wanning Artisana coconut butter jar?

Heather Eats Almond Butter July 7, 2010 at 5:29 pm
glutenfreemuse July 7, 2010 at 5:46 pm

I just got contacted by TruWhip and will be doing a product review for them in the next couple weeks!! Can’t wait to try it!!

I’m also going to be doing a Food Should Taste Good Chip giveaway in the next week or so. Super stoked!! I’ll make sure to give you a heads up so you can submit an awesome HEABified recipe!

~Alyssa

Heather Eats Almond Butter July 7, 2010 at 6:10 pm

Alyssa, You will love the TruWhip – good stuff!

Bekah July 7, 2010 at 6:19 pm

i started reading HEAB during your oat bran phase. i think i even gained 3-4 lbs because i thought chocolate oats twice a day wouldn’t effect me at all. bahah. :) juuuust kidding.

did you for real start the oats in a jar?? i’d patent that, and call it a year. those babies are aaaallll over the blogosphere, and probably every blog reader’s morning routine.

Heather Eats Almond Butter July 7, 2010 at 6:36 pm

Beeks, Yep, Oats In A Jar – I’m happy to take full credit for that one. :)

Alisa July 7, 2010 at 7:04 pm

Thank you Polly (and Heather) !!! Exactly what I have been looking for.

Glad you are back with the oaty crowd.

Lisa July 7, 2010 at 7:32 pm

I take that iron and I’m 27 weeks pregnant. It works well I feel the difference if I skip a day– a big difference. :) Good luck to you!

Heather Eats Almond Butter July 8, 2010 at 12:56 am

Lisa, Do you mind if I ask you how much of the Ferrasorb you take? Good to know it’s helped you!

BroccoliHut July 7, 2010 at 7:33 pm

Pure genius! This gives me an excuse to go buy more TruWhip:) Even better, I’ve been really into eating Smoothies In a Jar (with the last bit of nut butter), so I bet smoothies in a TruWhip container would be phenom too.

Heather Eats Almond Butter July 8, 2010 at 1:01 am

BroccoliHut, Yes, I bet they would! :)

Rachael July 7, 2010 at 8:04 pm

Yummy crumble.
Finally glad to be back blogging and commenting, and I wanted to say how much I’m enjoying following your pregnancy – the pics are adorable, and your balanced, holistic approach to the whole cycle is refreshing and inspiring. Thanks!

Heather Eats Almond Butter July 8, 2010 at 1:00 am

Thanks so much Rachael…welcome back! :)

ragazzasana July 7, 2010 at 8:07 pm

Oh my goodness.. gotta try that crumble…

Ann Claire July 7, 2010 at 8:27 pm

That crumble looks wonderful!! I love the Oats in the whip cream container idea too!

gloriousgreens July 7, 2010 at 9:17 pm

The apple pie oat mix looks wonderful. I feel a trip to TJ’s in my future, I still have to try their goat cheese crumbles.

Averie (LoveVeggiesAndYoga) July 7, 2010 at 10:43 pm

i make a raw vegan apple crumble that i LOVE and also swap in summer fruit like peaches, plums, etc…so good

the babyproofing email…DON’T be paying for that my friend. Babyproofing means you and CD run around your house and put away anything and everything that baby could eat. And cover outlets and that’s good enough. Serioulsy those companies that do it for you can be hundreds/thousands of $. Not exactly necessary since that’s what mom’s do: we keep our kids safe. No need to hire out.

Have fun at the babywearing mtg!!!

And all this iron talk…ok so my honest answer is that I never took anything and our ancestors never took anything and the human race survived. Unless you have true cause to think you need more, and really what is “more”, what is “higher”, “normal”…it’s all arbitrary and there will always be people that fall x standard deviations from the mean. I would say that unless YOU have symptoms or your midwife feels that baby is at risk, I’d kinda play that one by ear. THat’s my super unsolicited medical .02 of the day. Dismiss as warranted, by all means!!! :)

Heather Eats Almond Butter July 8, 2010 at 1:00 am

Averie, Yeah, I think CD and I can handle covering electrical outlets. Our house has been totally dog proofed – we have nothing lying around anywhere or else it will end up chewed and in the backyard, and so not much more to do.

Thanks for the vitamin D advice. The headaches and dizziness are gone, but my numbers have gone down – just don’t want them to get any lower. Will try new supplements and see what happens, but I’m not overly concerned. I know I’ll be fine. :)

Jackie (Peaces of Earth) July 7, 2010 at 10:50 pm

That crumble looks absolutely amazing!

saltytooth July 8, 2010 at 5:20 am

Yum, all of this looks great! I’m drooling.

Annie D @ Annie's Simple Life July 8, 2010 at 5:26 am

MMMMMmmmmm love me some oats!!!! I had some just a few minutes ago, actually!! :)

Katherine: What About Summer? July 8, 2010 at 5:38 am

I like the idea of projects; plus ingredients I have heard of!

hayleycepeda July 8, 2010 at 6:50 am

I haven’t eaten oats much lately either! Very strange since they were the love of my life for a while. I’m thinking it has something to do with this heat! Your combos look SO YUMMY!! I think I also haven’t eaten them lately because i made a HUGE batch of steel cut oats that are currently sitting in the fridge, and I’ve come to the conclusion that I just don’t like them as much as regular oats. I know they’re better for you, etc, etc, etc, but I just don’t think they taste as good as regular. Plus I have to admit – I like to mix a little bit of oats with a little bit of TJ’s Fiber Worm thingies so it ends up a soggy mushy mess. Mmmm… :)

Heather Eats Almond Butter July 8, 2010 at 7:11 am

Hayley, I don’t get the steel cut phenom either. Everyone seems to like the chew, but I’m like you – I prefer mush. :)

Mikelle July 8, 2010 at 5:22 pm

I tried the blueberry crumble and it was AMAZING! I had it for breakfast today and I’m sure I’ll make it again soon! I hope you don’t mind that I put the recipe on my blog… :)

Heather Eats Almond Butter July 8, 2010 at 5:24 pm

Mikelle, So happy to hear you enjoyed the crumble. I am love with that recipe and want to try it with apples and strawberries…oh and peaches too. :)

Fervent Foodie July 8, 2010 at 6:21 pm

Definitely gonna give this one a shot!

Natalie July 10, 2010 at 7:26 am

I totally agree -summer produce is the best!

Michal July 11, 2010 at 6:21 pm

MMM your oats look so tasty as usual! :)