A Pancake Sunday For My Papa

by HEAB on July 11, 2010

My dad grew up in Madawaska, Maine, close to the border of Canada. In fact, he was actually born in Canada since that’s where the nearest hospital was located. Ployes, or French buckwheat pancakes were a staple of his childhood and mine too. My dad used to have his sisters ship ploye mix to Nashville, and we often ate them at dinner rolled up with butter and brown sugar. My Dad is up in Maine for his high-school reunion this week, and my mom told me is enjoying ployes everywhere he goes. I laughed and told her I hadn’t eaten a ploye in years, and so we decided to celebrate Pancake Sunday with a big batch of ployes in honor of my dad.

We kept our ployes completely gluten free and used 100% buckwheat flour instead of the ployes mix.

First, we measured out about a cup of the flour…and by we, I mean my mom. She did all the work. Thanks mom!

and then she whisked in hot water until the batter reached a very thin consistency…

We then cooked 7 ployes in my mom’s special ploye-only skillet over low heat. That’s it!

I ate 1 plain ploye, 1 blueberry ploye…and one dark chocolate mini Reese’s cup ploye (inspired by Brandi). :) My toppings consisted of plain goat milk yogurt and a drizzle of maple syrup.

Not quite the ployes of my youth, but pretty darn tasty!

Thanks for the inspiration dad, and I hope you’re having a wonderful trip! See you when you get home. :)

Sarena (The Non-Dairy Queen) July 11, 2010 at 9:09 am

Those look mighty tasty! I LOVE buckwheat! Will definitely have to give these a try. I hope your dad has a great trip! Have a great Sunday Heather!

Karla July 11, 2010 at 9:12 am

So this is just buckwheat flour and water?

Heather Eats Almond Butter July 11, 2010 at 9:20 am

Karla, Yep.

Becki July 11, 2010 at 9:16 am

That’s a really simple recipe! I think I’ll try it on a day I’m running late to class. Any other fillers you’d recommend?

Heather Eats Almond Butter July 11, 2010 at 9:21 am

Becki, I think sliced bananas would taste great as well as chocolate chips, or anything else you would normally add to your pancakes. Enjoy! :)

Heather July 11, 2010 at 9:27 am

Those look really good.
Any baking powder or anything in the recipe?
The filling/topping options are endless! :D

Heather Eats Almond Butter July 11, 2010 at 9:53 am

Heather, nope, just buckwheat flour and water. :)

Megan @ The Oatmeal Diaries July 11, 2010 at 9:31 am

These look great! As a kid on mornings after sleepovers, my friends and I used to chop up any candy we could find in the pantry and throw it in our pancakes. Snickers used to be my favorite!

hayleycepeda July 11, 2010 at 9:35 am

Holy YUM!!! They look kind of like crunchy pancakes, which sounds REALLY good to me! What a nice little tribute to your dad. :)

Heather Eats Almond Butter July 11, 2010 at 9:53 am

Hayley, They tasted more like rubbery crepes. ;)

Run Sarah July 11, 2010 at 10:10 am

I’ve never heard of ploye but they look sort of like crepes – yum!

Pure2raw twins July 11, 2010 at 10:52 am

These pancakes look great. I love buckwheat.

Hope you had a great weekend. ; )

Sarah R July 11, 2010 at 11:06 am

How interesting! There are so many different variations of pancakes around the world. We celebrated my mom’s birthday this morning with fresh blueberry pancakes. So yummy!

Heather Eats Almond Butter July 11, 2010 at 11:30 am

Sarah R, Happy birthday to your mama! :)

Susan July 11, 2010 at 11:19 am

Your dad is from Madawaska?? My family is from Campbellton, New Brunswick which is reeeeally close by. I’ve never had ployes before though. I’m off to go call my mom and ask her why the hell not :P

Heather Eats Almond Butter July 11, 2010 at 11:29 am

Susan, Yep, born and raised, and from the way he talks, everyone eats ployes up there. Let me know what your mom has to say about that. ;)

Sara July 11, 2010 at 11:34 am

I just found your blog through SkinnyRunner and I’m hooked! I love your healthy approach to keeping the weight off. I recently lost 25 lbs, but sadly, have put about 10 of them back on as my boyfriend just moved back to NY and has been living with me (he was in FL for 10 months). He wants to lose weight too so we’re doing the 2 weeks of the South Beach diet to try to jump start his weight loss, and for me to get back closer to where I was, and then we’re going to just start living a healthy lifestyle TOGETHER. That’s definitely key.

Anyway, I love all of your recipes and things on here, I can’t wait for the first 2 weeks of South Beach to be over so I can make some of your protein ice cream!

Heather Eats Almond Butter July 11, 2010 at 11:39 am

Sara, So glad you found me, and thanks for reading! Yes, the key is doing it together! I don’t know what I would do if Chris (my husband) was not a healthy eater. Much easier to stay fit when you have a partner on the same page as you. Best of luck, and I hope you enjoy some protein ice-cream soon. :)

Anna July 11, 2010 at 11:44 am

I put buckwheat flour in our bread sometimes– I really like it! These look tasty!

Caroline July 11, 2010 at 11:44 am

mmm…those look like crepes! Just buckwheat flour and hot water? How much water? This looks like something that would be fun to make! How much butter/oil is best? I think these would rock with nutella and raspberries.

Heather Eats Almond Butter July 11, 2010 at 12:17 pm

Caroline, Yep, just buckwheat flour and hot water. My mom didn’t measure the water, but used just enough to produce a really thin crepe-like batter. She used a bit of cooking spray to oil the skillet.

Marina July 11, 2010 at 11:46 am

I make buckwheat crepes, and I absolutely love them!
Buckwheat is amazing :)

Brandi July 11, 2010 at 11:48 am

What a great Pancake Sunday :) I’ve never heard of these, but they look awesome! I love crepes and they look thin like those, so I can’t imagine they would be anything but delicious. Especially with that dark chocolate reese’s :)

Which I need to buy soon. I’m craving them all the time after seeing them on here!

Erica July 11, 2010 at 11:52 am

I’ve never heard of these! And I grew up in New England. They look very yum. Sweet of your mama to do the cooking. I hope you are feeling and doing well :)

Heather Eats Almond Butter July 11, 2010 at 12:20 pm

Erica, I always forget you grew up in New England. To me, you’re a fellow Southerner!

rpattzlawyer July 11, 2010 at 12:15 pm

Woah, you’re dad is from Madawaska? I’m from Presque Isle! I used to go to Madawaska all the time for ski meets and All-County Chorus practices… :)

Heather Eats Almond Butter July 11, 2010 at 12:18 pm

Rpattzlawyer, Yep, born and raised. :)

Katie July 11, 2010 at 12:44 pm

That’s my kind of recipe. I’m on it.

Ana July 11, 2010 at 12:51 pm

I have never heard of ployes, really cool to learn something new in the cooking world!
That’s something I really enjoy about food and cooking, food tells a lot about the people and where they come from!
Sounds like those crepes would be yummy with strawberries (or banana) and nutella!

Heather Eats Almond Butter July 11, 2010 at 3:30 pm

Ana, anything is yummy with Nutella! ;)

Laura July 11, 2010 at 12:56 pm

Never heard of these before! They look delicious though! I like the chocolate idea;) xx

Rosey Rebecca July 11, 2010 at 1:10 pm

They almost looks like bubbly crepes! Mmm I think you’ve inspired me to make pancakes for breakfast tomorrow morning!

fitnessandsunshine July 11, 2010 at 1:21 pm

I love buckwheat but never thought of making that. Looks so amazingly tasty, I must try. :)

Stacie @ Imperfectly Healthy July 11, 2010 at 1:21 pm

I’ve never heard of ployes before but they sure look good! :)

Erica @ ericaunmasked.blogspot.com July 11, 2010 at 1:30 pm

these look so good – and gluten free – YEAH. I will make them – for me and K!!

Monique@She's Going The Distance July 11, 2010 at 1:54 pm

Wow those look really interesting!! What cute wives/daughters you are :) SO sweet! I bet that was a happy memory for your papa :)

Averie (LoveVeggiesAndYoga) July 11, 2010 at 2:10 pm

What a nice memory of you and your dad and the pancakes :)

And so glad to hear that everything was good, productive, and yes, stay outta the bed type of advice..woo hoo for the freedom to move, walk, do your thing. Your body and heablet will tell you what to do and where to go and how to be :)

Happy Sunday friend!
xoxo

missyrayn July 11, 2010 at 3:58 pm

That looks like a great quick recipe. I could fill it with bananas and nutella like my childhood :-)

BroccoliHut July 11, 2010 at 4:09 pm

Wow, I have never heard of ployes. Thanks for the education, HEAB!

Samantha July 11, 2010 at 4:49 pm

Oh my those look wonderful! One day I might just do an all pancake day with Gina’s perfect protein pancake for breakfast, your pizza pancakes for lunch (how did my kids and I live without this recipe for so long?!) and savory crepes for supper. YUM!

Heather Eats Almond Butter July 11, 2010 at 5:16 pm

Sam, My idea of a perfect day! So glad the fam. is enjoying the pizza pancakes. ;0

Katherine: What About Summer? July 11, 2010 at 5:03 pm

aw these look good! and heart warming

lisa July 11, 2010 at 7:37 pm

hey! I made pancakes today too, not even realizing it was sunday hahah.
YOURS look so good tho- and interesting! I dont think I ever heard of a ploye before! they look like crepes to me :)

Heather Eats Almond Butter July 11, 2010 at 8:49 pm

Lisa, So happy you celebrated Pancake Sunday, even if it was on accident. :)

Heather Eats Almond Butter July 11, 2010 at 8:52 pm

Lisa, They tasted like crepes too, although a bit rubbery. ;)

glutenfreemuse July 11, 2010 at 8:10 pm

I love buckwheat pancakes, so I will have to try these ployes! They look a bit like crepes!

Have you seen my post on Coquette Creperie?? Next time you come to CO you will have to try it! Its in Manitou and has GF crepes, quiches, and sandwiches! Absolutely delicious!

~Alyssa

Heather Eats Almond Butter July 11, 2010 at 8:51 pm

Glutenfreemuse, Yes, I’ve heard of Coquette Creperie. One of my friends who lives in Mantiou loves going there, and we actually drove by it last summer. I will definitely go there next time I’m in town!

Salah July 11, 2010 at 9:08 pm

mmmmm those look so yummy!!!

kelsey@snackingsquirrel.com July 11, 2010 at 11:03 pm

you made him pancakes? AWE- papas love to bond over breakfast or brunch i find! espcially somrthing as yummy as those pancakes :)

xoxo

Mary @ Bites and Bliss July 12, 2010 at 5:13 am

Those look really cool! And delicious, of course! Ployes..never heard of em, but you learn something new everyday! :)

Gabriela @ Fro-Yo Lover July 12, 2010 at 6:32 am

WOW!
That looks DELICIOUS!

Erika July 12, 2010 at 6:32 am

Wow! Those ployes look delicious! Can you post a recipe please, I’d love to make them! 8-)

Heather Eats Almond Butter July 12, 2010 at 8:39 am

Erika, The recipe was nothing but buckwheat flour and warm water. Cook on a greased skillet or pancake griddle and no need to flip. That’s it. :)

sweetersalt July 12, 2010 at 6:52 am

Super funny! My fiance’s grandfather is from Madawaska! Ross grew up eating ployes and loves them, so I make them for him from time to time. Small world (and a small town – from what I hear Madawaska is tiiiiiny).

Heather Eats Almond Butter July 12, 2010 at 8:38 am

Sweetersalt…finally! Someone who knows what a ploye is. My dad will be so happy to read your comment!

Kathleen July 12, 2010 at 8:47 am

Heya,

This is my 1st comment, but I just couldn’t resist! I went to University about a 30 minute drive from Madawaska, in Fort Kent Maine! They had ploye festivals and everything!! I do love ployes, and Madawaska. What a great surprise to read about both of them this morning :)

Heather Eats Almond Butter July 12, 2010 at 8:51 am

Kathleen, Another ploye lover!!! Thanks so much for your comment – it brought a big smile to my face. :) I must tell my dad about the ploye festival. I’m thinking road trip! :)

Heather July 12, 2010 at 9:28 am

i am really drooling over these…i’ve never heard of a ploye before! the Reese’s one sounds best to me though :)

Heather Eats Almond Butter July 12, 2010 at 9:29 am

Heather, It was. :)

Michele July 12, 2010 at 11:07 am

That looks so good. Where do you by the original flour from? I’ll hvae to do some research.

Heather Eats Almond Butter July 12, 2010 at 12:09 pm

Michele, My dad’s sisters shipped it to us, but I believe you can purchase it from the website I linked to. That being said, it was nothing but 100% buckwheat flour, and you should be able to find that at any health food store.

Sarah Anne July 14, 2010 at 12:25 am

Lurker speaking up here! Yay for Maine, I grew up there – though oddly enough I’m in Canada now. Those look FANTABULOUS and I am definitely going to look into making them!

Thanks for sharing with us!

Heather Eats Almond Butter July 14, 2010 at 6:39 am

Sarah Anne, Small world! :) Thanks for reading HEAB.