A Friend Inspired Breakfast

by HEAB on July 13, 2010

Time to wake up from your HEAB induced sugar coma. ;)

So happy to hear that many of you enjoyed my chocolate peanut butter explosion post yesterday, and I hear several of you even ordered a Vita-Mix of your very own. So exciting!

This morning, I decided to balance out all of my sweet posts as of late with a little something savory. Our kitchen is once again in disarray as we had the crew working last night to install our new backsplash. However, some bad storms forced them to close-up shop and go home before the job was finished. So, now we have half a backsplash, and I wasn’t able to put our kitchen back together. Anyway, I woke up early this morning and somehow managed to find a skillet and a cutting board, all I needed to make this delicious creation…

Huevos con queso y tortillas de maiz

Yum, yum, and yum! One of my good friends (Hey Rayna!) is always telling me about her favorite breakfast made by Kevin, her fiance, and I decided to make my own variation of it this morning. Kevin likes to add whole wheat tortilla strips to their scrambled eggs, and I did the same, but with corn tortillas. I heated a skillet over medium high heat, greased it up a bit, and then sauteed sliced mushrooms, chopped bell pepper, and cherry tomatoes until cooked. Next up, I threw in a few handfuls of spinach, and allowed it to cook down until wilted. I then threw in 2 corn tortillas cut into little squares. After the tortillas were warm, I added 1 egg whisked with 2 egg whites to the mix, scrambled everything together, and at the last minute threw in several cubes of goat cheese. After the cheese melted, I topped the whole mess with a few shakes of wing sauce, and then sat down to a really tasty breakfast. The melted cheese mixed with the eggs and the corn tortilla strips was so good! Many thank to Kevin and Rayna for the idea.

Now I sit and wait for the backsplash guys to return…home renovations require much waiting.

Any projects you’d like to do to your house or apartment?

Beth July 13, 2010 at 8:19 am

Wow what a cool idea to throw tortillas in with eggs! I looove tortillas an love wrapping eggs up in them, so I’m sure they’re even better mixed through!

Samantha Angela @ Bikini Birthday July 13, 2010 at 8:19 am

I would toast the tortillas to make then crisp and toss them in at the end.

Heather Eats Almond Butter July 13, 2010 at 8:21 am

Samantha, The corn tortillas got pretty crisp, but I did think of toasting them first. Unfortunately, our toaster oven was buried under something or other this morning. Next time for sure!

Jessica @ How Sweet July 13, 2010 at 8:19 am

Our house is pretty much completely remodeled, but I’d love to have a bigger kitchen!

allison July 13, 2010 at 8:22 am

those are my favorite kinds of breakfasts. looks delish!!

julie July 13, 2010 at 8:26 am

i love your addition of the tortillas! i’m thinking this might make a great dinner tonight :) breakfast for dinner you can never go wrong atleast in my book haha.

have a great day girl!

Heather Eats Almond Butter July 13, 2010 at 8:28 am

Julie, I love breakfast for dinner…and lunch…maybe as an afternoon snack as well. ;)

Sarena (The Non-Dairy Queen) July 13, 2010 at 8:32 am

Ugh, half done projects. That is so frustrating! Your breakfast looks delicious. I made an egg burrito for Jay this morning and Tony had to leave the kitchen. We haven’t found a good sub for flour tortillas yet and really that makes the egg burrito so good. I believe we are having eggs tonight, since I have some egg sub that needs to be used up. I may have to give this one a try! Have a great day Heather…I hope they come back to finish the work soon! Oh and I need a back splash desperately! I am a flicker when I wash my hands!

Heather Eats Almond Butter July 13, 2010 at 9:28 am

Sarena, We were in desperate need of a back splash…I blame all the bacon frying. Oh my gosh, I think you would love the corn tortilla + egg combo. Try it – delish!

homecookedem July 13, 2010 at 8:32 am

Yummmmm!! HEAB, that looks fabulous!! Keep eating those eggs… my aunt has had 3 babies and swears by them. She says they strengthen the amniotic sac which prevents your water from breaking too early. (Have I already told you this? Please forgive me if I already did, haha!)

Heather Eats Almond Butter July 13, 2010 at 9:37 am

HomecookedEm, I think you did tell me about the eggs, and I promise to keep eating them. Fortunately, my love for them is still around. Hope you’re feeling good today!

livingfreeforever July 13, 2010 at 8:35 am

Breakfast looks good! Oh my goodness, we have SO many things we would like to do to our house, but will probably have to wait a while–like until we’re done raising three teenagers! :)

Sarah R July 13, 2010 at 8:36 am

I have been so stuck on eggs lately. I can’t seem to get enough of them, but I’ve never thought of putting the tortillas in them. Brilliant idea! We have a list a mile long of things we’d like to do to our house: new carpet, new doors, new Sheetrock in the basement, finishing out a half bath. I could go on and on…

skinnyrunner July 13, 2010 at 8:40 am

that breakfast is inspiring me to get off my rear and go cook some eggs. looks tasty! no kitchen reno’s need done in our house, but we did completely redo our kitchen and I lived without countertops or cabinets for about 2 months. drove me slightly crazy….

Tina July 13, 2010 at 8:42 am

Mmm that looks great! I am all about the savory stuff these days.

I remember when I was pregnant with our first. We redid the ENTIRE second floor. I’m talking ripping out walls, gutting bathrooms, moving plumbing and electric lines, tiling from scratch, installing carpet, etc. It was the most stressful 7 months of my life! And we finished 2 DAYS before I went to the hospital. It was worth it though. I hope the stress of renos doesn’t get too bad for ya.

Heather Eats Almond Butter July 13, 2010 at 9:35 am

Tina, It hasn’t been much fun thus far, but I’m saving the nursery for last…how could nursery decorating not be fun?!?

A Teenage Gourmet July 13, 2010 at 8:46 am

My favorite part is the Spanish name under the picture . . . sexayyyy. :)

Kelly July 13, 2010 at 8:51 am

YUM! You have the greatest addictions and cravings…you should write a recipe book about all your pregnancy cravings…it would totally be a bestseller!

Heather Eats Almond Butter July 13, 2010 at 9:33 am

Kelly, You think? That would be so fun!

sweetersalt July 13, 2010 at 8:56 am

Love egg scrambles! I like using a large whole wheat tortilla to make an egg quesadilla. Just fill half the tortilla with eggs, cheese, veggies, etc. the flop the other half over. Crisp up each side in a pan and yum!

jswesner July 13, 2010 at 8:59 am

Oh my goodness! I love that breakfast. Anything with eggs is delicious! This is inspiration for tomorrow!

jackie July 13, 2010 at 9:03 am

ooo this is heabifed version of chilaquiles! my dad used to make them all the time when we were growing up – delish!!!

Carbzilla July 13, 2010 at 9:05 am

You are going to think I’m such a copycat but yesterday I had a VERY similar breakfast that I’m just about to post – WITH wing sauce! I got a new one yesterday that I just couldn’t wait to try. Must be going across the Universe!

(I woke up this morning dreaming of wing sauce)

Heather Eats Almond Butter July 13, 2010 at 9:33 am

Carb, That’s my kind of dream! Great minds think alike, no? ;)

Katie July 13, 2010 at 9:13 am

Have you heard of chilaquiles? Because this dish is kind of a version of it…maybe you HEABified without knowing it? I make mine in a similar way (without the cheese) but I use enchilada sauce instead of wing sauce.

I’d love more than anything to do some projects, but I rent, and no way I’m putting my own money into this house!

Heather Eats Almond Butter July 13, 2010 at 9:31 am

Katie, Nope, I had no idea I made chilaquiles. I’ll have to google it. Now I want to go buy some enchilada sauce!

alli July 13, 2010 at 9:14 am

your creations are my favorites! i’ll be adding this to the list of HEAB recipes to make very soon!

Run Sarah July 13, 2010 at 9:14 am

Love the idea of adding corn tortilla strips! We have some corn tortillas we haven’t used hanging around our freezer that would be perfect for this.

Claire July 13, 2010 at 9:26 am

Holy Moly,YES!! I want to retile my kitchen and bathroom floors!!I also need to replace the sinks in the bathrooms.Where do you find cool tile without the enormous price tag?hehe…I hope your work is done soon:-)cc

Heather Eats Almond Butter July 13, 2010 at 9:30 am

Claire, No idea where to find good tile – I’m trying to learn all that kind of stuff myself.

Ami July 13, 2010 at 9:27 am

We’re in the process of redecorating our bedroom! We painted, hung up cool new drapery, bought new furniture and got custom closets. You have no idea how awesome the custom closets are!! They make organization actually FUN and are a much better use of the space than just a single rod. I highly recommend it!

My dream project is to completely renovate our master bath. It could look really awesome with some new fixtures and tiles.

Heather Eats Almond Butter July 13, 2010 at 9:29 am

Ami, Our master bath needs some major lovin as well, but it will have to on the wish list after all the work in the kitchen. Someday… :)

Rosey Rebecca July 13, 2010 at 9:33 am

Oh man. Your breakfast looks AWESOME. I have to try that!

saltytooth July 13, 2010 at 9:35 am

Yum, this looks great!

We are currently in the process of starting renovation on our kitchen and attic. It’s such a painful process, I just need to remeber that I will love it when it’s finished.

Heather @ Get Healthy With Heather July 13, 2010 at 9:54 am

I just finished off my corn tortillas! I can’t wait to make a savory breakfast like that when I get some more.

Anya @ Fitness & Sunshine July 13, 2010 at 9:55 am

Mm, looks so tasty. :) I love egg messes with veggies.

I’m not a fan of tortillas though :(

Heather Eats Almond Butter July 13, 2010 at 9:59 am

Anya, How about toast instead? :)

Anya @ Fitness & Sunshine July 13, 2010 at 10:00 am

Toast sounds great to me! I love super grainy breads. :)

hayleycepeda July 13, 2010 at 10:54 am

YUM!!! This looks delicious…and very healthy too! All those veggies – I’d have to say the only thing I really crave right now is eggs. I seem to want them every morning for breakfast! :)

annecalista July 13, 2010 at 11:02 am

Interesting- looks delicious! Do you use egg whites from a carton or do you just seperate them out from whole eggs? I feel weird about buying them packaged.

Heather Eats Almond Butter July 13, 2010 at 11:14 am

Annecalista, I separate and give my dogs the yolks. The come running as soon as they hear me crack that first egg. :)

lo July 13, 2010 at 11:27 am

every time i read your blog it makes me wanna fly to TN and come to your house for breakie. always looks amazing…

love,
lo

Heather Eats Almond Butter July 13, 2010 at 12:11 pm

Lo, You’re welcome at my breakfast table anytime! :)

Averie (LoveVeggiesAndYoga) July 13, 2010 at 11:34 am

No household projects per se, other than we’ve moved 10 times in 10 years. We want to stay put though now!

Omg bless your heart I HATE a messy kitchen, I hate chaos, I hate mess, I hate half finished projects, I hate household renov projects….and you have all of them rolled into one. And it’s hot and your pregnant. ((((HUGS)))))

Heather Eats Almond Butter July 13, 2010 at 12:11 pm

Averie, Thanks for the sympathy. I could use some today!

Christina July 13, 2010 at 12:03 pm

One of my favorite breakfasts (besides my fudgy oatmeal with peanut butter!) is eggs with black beans.

To make the black beans, you need 2 cans of black beans, 1/4c tomato sauce, a packet of Goya sazon seasoning, and chopped onion, bell pepper, and garlic. Sautee the onions, bell peppers, and garlic. Add in the 2 cans of beans (don’t drain the beans), tomato sauce, and sazon. Bring to a low boil and using a potato masher mash the beans up a bit (this will bring out the starches and thicken them up!). the more mashing, the thicker they get (and close to refried beans they get). Turn off heat and set aside.

I’ll heat 2 corn tortillas in a skillet until they are browned/crispy on each side (or in a time crunch, in the microwave in a damp paper towel, but they’re not crispy then).

Use the tortillas as your utensil, Mexican style :)

A very yummy, filling, savory breakfast!

Heather Eats Almond Butter July 13, 2010 at 12:51 pm

Wow Christina, Thanks for the recipe – sounds delicious! :)

Christina July 13, 2010 at 12:04 pm

Oh, and of course you make the eggs however you’d like :) I usually sautee extra onion and bell pepper and scramble in the eggs.

Maine Maple Kitchen July 13, 2010 at 12:13 pm

Hey nice Post. I am a big fan of tortillas. I had made it many times for my family. They like to eat tortillas by my hand..lol

lola July 13, 2010 at 12:26 pm

looks really yummy! i love mexican breakfasts…have you ever had chorizo and potatoes? it is amazing!

Heather Eats Almond Butter July 13, 2010 at 12:52 pm

Lola, Yes I have – when I was in Spain, and it was amazing! :)

talia July 13, 2010 at 12:31 pm

ohhhhhh, that looks so so so good! I am going to make this tomorrow morning!!! :)

Monique@She's Going The Distance July 13, 2010 at 12:37 pm

Gosh, it sounds so amazing in Spanish haha. I’m should start titling all my posts in French maybe :)

Erica @ ericaunmasked.blogspot.com July 13, 2010 at 12:38 pm

Projects: my house is the living project. Really. I am always making something (craftwise) – sean does a wood-working business from here…and he is always doing something to the house. It is (not) fun!

Maren @Simply Maren July 13, 2010 at 1:15 pm

Love Huevos Rancheros- did a post just a few days on it, and I love this take! I have so many new ideas for next time now!

Julisa July 13, 2010 at 1:28 pm

Heather

Thanks for the amazing Vitamix deal. Just got mine!

Heather Eats Almond Butter July 13, 2010 at 4:12 pm

Julisa, So exciting. You’re going to love your new blender! :)

Justine July 13, 2010 at 1:29 pm

I’d like ro repaint my kitchen. Well, I suppose j wouldn’t mind a complete remodel, but new paint would suffice. :)

Mary @ Bites and Bliss July 13, 2010 at 2:16 pm

I could eat this right from the screen. :) As far as projects around the house go, I realllly need to paint my room and bathroom. the living room/kitchen are all decorated nicely while those rooms are super ugly. Also, I want a garden!

Little Bookworm July 13, 2010 at 2:18 pm

Your breakfast looks great! Hope the home renovations go well. :)

malpaz July 13, 2010 at 2:19 pm

seriously use to have that allllll the time as a kid before school!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Melissa @ Tryingtoheal July 13, 2010 at 3:46 pm

oh man that looks good. and i’m totally planning on getting some of those grahams at TJ’s this weekend. and covering some Nature’s Pride PB filled Cookies with chocolate too. Can you imagine?! oh yeahhhh

Heather Eats Almond Butter July 13, 2010 at 3:49 pm

Melissa, I’m just so happy to hear you have a TJ’s back in your life! What’s up with Florida not having them?!?

kelsey@snackingsquirrel.com July 13, 2010 at 5:49 pm

mmm im just imagining all the flavors and the different textures in there. the creations that pop through ur mind are delightful! you NEED to publish a cookbook- seriously! <3

ps. those cinnamon grahams in ur last post seriously DO look like the best ever!!

gloriousgreens July 13, 2010 at 7:05 pm

I am going to have to try tortillas in my breakfast hash, that looks yummy!

glutenfreemuse July 13, 2010 at 7:58 pm

Heather,

That looks absolutely fabulous!! Oh and by the way, I found this recipe on Kaz’s site and thought you might LOVE it :-)

Chocolate Peanut Butter Coconut Cups: http://kaztronomic.wordpress.com/2010/07/13/dark-chocolate-coconut-peanut-butter-cups/

Oh, yes…I’m serious!

~Alyssa

Heather Eats Almond Butter July 14, 2010 at 6:30 am

Glutenfreemuse, Um yes, I LOVE it. :)

randiliz July 13, 2010 at 8:51 pm

This is actually a South Tex-Mex breakfast dish called migas. Sometimes they put the whole scramble in a tortilla and call it migas tacos. Your friend is a true Texan at heart! When I lived in Austin and San Antonio I ate this several times a week. Soooooo good.

Heather Eats Almond Butter July 14, 2010 at 6:33 am

Randiliz, I’ve always had a special place for Austin, TX in my heart – such a cool city! :)

Liz @ Tip Top Shape July 13, 2010 at 9:09 pm

Oh wow, that looks delicious! I almost thought it was nachos when I first saw it but i saw my error as I read further :-D

We actually just got a bunch of stuff done in our house so I think I am pretty content on that part. Perhaps get a 24/7 cleaning service? haha

Heather Eats Almond Butter July 14, 2010 at 6:32 am

Liz, We have a 24/7 cleaning service, and she is awesome! Her name is Heather…but she keeps eating all our chocolate! ;)

Rachael July 14, 2010 at 6:53 am

Tortillas in any form are goodness.
I live in a construction zone, so after 4 years, I’d like to have heat and lose the sawdust. We’re doing it all ourselves (myself, partner, plus six housemates – Brady Bunch, anyone?) with recycled and salvaged materials. Definitely learning a lot, but when I visit my folks or friends or anyone with an actual finished house, I get a little dreamy.

Heather Eats Almond Butter July 14, 2010 at 6:59 am

Rachael, Wow, what a cool project!

Hanna M. July 14, 2010 at 8:00 am

I would like to renovate the WHOLE kitchen… But that’s expensive! :(
BTW, I always get so hungry when reading up on your blog! I’m a spontaneous cook and get a lot of inspiration from HEAB. Right now I have flour-less peanut butter cookies (drool!), chilled cucumber soup and spinach stirfry with eggs on my list, thanks to you ;) XOX to you and HEABlet

Heather Eats Almond Butter July 14, 2010 at 8:02 am

Hanna M. That’s quite a good list you’ve got going. Enjoy. :)

Graygrrrl July 14, 2010 at 4:30 pm

This, or some variation of it, is one of my all time favorite breakfasts. In Texas, we call it Migas and you can get it everywhere!!! So yummy!

Heather Eats Almond Butter July 14, 2010 at 4:31 pm

Graygrrrl, Yes, another commenter told me I made Migas…I think I would love living in Texas! ;)