Bringing Back The Crack

by HEAB on July 16, 2010

Remember Mama Pea’s Crack Wrap? I sure do! Back before Mama Pea went vegan, I would stare longingly at those beautiful wraps bursting forth with hummus and melted cheese. However, I was trying really hard to avoid dairy, but then I discovered the miracle that is goat cheese. Since I’ve been eating it, I’ve had no problems (you can read about why I avoid dairy here), and it is so nice to have cheese back in my life. I’ve read that our bodies often digest the proteins in goat milk products better than the proteins found in cow’s milk. Well, it seems to be working for me, and so this morning, I decided to make myself some Crack

I warmed two corn tortillas in a skillet on the stovetop over medium heat until warm. I then spread a dollop of hummus in each along with a slice of goat cheese. I rolled them up, placed them back in the skillet, and covered them until the cheese melted. The corn tortillas got crispy, and the gooey cheese was so good. Too bad I didn’t have any guac or salsa for dipping – next time for sure!

Speaking of crack, I ordered my first pair of maternity jeans. Um, why has no one told me about the wonders of maternity jeans before?!? I’m still fitting into my regular jeans, but the GAP was having a major online sale, and so I took advantage. I ordered these jeans, and I love them!

Oh my gosh, the big panel totally holds in all your “stuff”. Forget Spanx, I am all about the maternity panel. It’s so comfy!

And look…

No crackage!

I just knew y’all were dying for a HEAB ass shot on this lovely Friday afternoon. ;)

If you get a chance this weekend, please check out my friend, Kristin’s book, Recovering Ramona. She has published the first 17 chapters online, and is pitching it to publishers soon. Kristin would love to hear your feedback in the comments. Thanks so much, and I hope everyone has a wonderful weekend! :)

Jessica @ How Sweet July 16, 2010 at 11:46 am

Hahah this cracks me up – everytime I walk by maternity pants in stores, I always think how comfy they must be with that band!

VeggieGirl July 16, 2010 at 11:47 am

HEAB, you’re beyond hilarious :-D

Ilana July 16, 2010 at 11:47 am

oh HEAB! i love you.

Marilou @ Mostly Healthy July 16, 2010 at 11:49 am

This just reminded me of the “Friends” episode where Joey wears maternity pants to eat more turkey .. bwa ha ha! :)

Sarena (The Non-Dairy Queen) July 16, 2010 at 11:50 am

You look great in your crack free jeans! I am glad you are comfy now! Enoy your jeans today! By the way…LOVE the color on your walls!

Heather Eats Almond Butter July 16, 2010 at 12:16 pm

Thanks Sarena. I love that color too! Enjoy your weekend. :)

Jenna July 16, 2010 at 11:52 am

Oh my goodness, you are hilarious. Thank you for a Friday afternoon laugh. :)

Heather Eats Almond Butter July 16, 2010 at 12:15 pm

Jenna, Welcome. :)

Carolyn July 16, 2010 at 11:52 am

I always end up wandering over the line at Target, for some reason, and next thing you know i am looking at maternity tops thinking “these are so cute”… then i slink back into the NO BABY FOR YOU! womens regular area…

I could really use a pair of those jeans from about January to March in Michigan, where it get’s ugly outside… and holidays = nom nom nom///

You look cute Heabs…They give the term “Mom jeans” a whole better feel…

Marina July 16, 2010 at 11:53 am

Mhm, I love making crack wraps!
Those maternity pants must be so cozy!

livingfreeforever July 16, 2010 at 11:55 am

You are so funny :) Glad you found some jeans you like. It makes all the difference in the world when you like your maternity clothes!

operagirlcooks July 16, 2010 at 11:57 am

Nice pants, mama! You’re too cute. And I do remember those crack wraps! I haven’t actually tried them, but I do have some feta cheese and roasted red pepper hummus lying around . . . I think a blue corn tortilla crack wrap is in my future!

BethT July 16, 2010 at 11:57 am

I have been telling everyone about the wonder that is maternity jeans. Elastic waistbands for the win! I can see why it’s really hard to go back to real pants…

Maggie July 16, 2010 at 12:01 pm

I LOVE those wraps. She’s the one who got me into grilling sandwiches.

I think I want a pair of maternity jeans for my bloaty days ;) JK, kind of. I usually just go with yoga pants instead.

Tina July 16, 2010 at 12:03 pm

Bahaha! I almost spit out my water at the ass shot. And I’m already sporting some of the low panel maternity pants on occasion. My others still fit, but it is so true that those elastic bands are heaven. I mean c’mon! You can look cute and dressed but feel like you’re in sweats?? What could be better? Oh, I know! Not having to unbutton and unzip pants every time you run to the bathroom. ;)

Heather Eats Almond Butter July 16, 2010 at 12:14 pm

Tina, Agreed – I love having no button/zipper. Who knew?

Grace @ Front Porch Yoga July 16, 2010 at 12:04 pm

Have you ever heard of Bella Bands? Some of my pregnant friends swear by them…http://www.ingridandisabel.com/

Heather Eats Almond Butter July 16, 2010 at 12:13 pm

Grace, Thanks for the link – just checked out the Bella Bands…and I want one of everything! I love the skinny skirt. So cute and looks beyond comfy.

brandi July 16, 2010 at 12:08 pm

such a cute post :)

and I LOVE that room and fireplace. Such charm.

Heather Eats Almond Butter July 16, 2010 at 12:10 pm

Thanks Brandi. I love that room too. Hope you have a good weekend! :)

Justine July 16, 2010 at 12:09 pm

I love how melty that cheese looks! Yum :)

Sarah R July 16, 2010 at 12:13 pm

This post made me smile :) I guess there’s god crack and bad crack huh? Wish I had a reason to wear the maternity jeans!

Morgan July 16, 2010 at 12:20 pm

Love the no crack shot!
Maternity jeans are the most amazing things ever. I find that all of my non jeans, like shorts and my cargo maternity pants I always manage to put on backwards. Oops! At least I figure it out before I leave the house!

Rebecca @ How the Cookies Crumble July 16, 2010 at 12:22 pm

Not gonna lie, maternity pants look pretty freaking comfortable!

Samantha Angela @ Bikini Birthday July 16, 2010 at 12:26 pm

Not gonna lie, I have considered buying maternity pants before. I mean, they would make the perfect holiday pants, don’t you think? No need to loosen the belt for christmas dinner

Heather Eats Almond Butter July 16, 2010 at 12:28 pm

Samantha, Trust me – I will be wearing these every holiday from now on! ;)

Ana July 16, 2010 at 12:27 pm

Love your posts, you are so funny Heather!!
What a great idea for a wrap, I can see why you guys call it crack wrap! I love wraps with hummus or bean dip inside, they are the best ones!
I will definitely try the hummus + cheese idea really soon!

Anna July 16, 2010 at 12:30 pm

Is it weird that I kind of want to buy some maternity jeans even though I’m not pregnant? They just always look so comfortable to me!!!

Heather Eats Almond Butter July 16, 2010 at 12:32 pm

Anna, No – do it. I dare ya. ;)

Graze With Me July 16, 2010 at 12:34 pm

Love the ass shot – really. And the jeans are really cute…totally fashionable.

kaztronomic July 16, 2010 at 12:34 pm

You’re so adorable! Hah, I almost spat out my tea at your ‘crackless’ shot. :D

saltytooth July 16, 2010 at 12:39 pm

I must try the crack wrap this weekend, as I’m giving veganism a test run next week! Love the maternity jeans, you crack me up.

glutenfreemuse July 16, 2010 at 12:58 pm

Ahhh, so this is why everyone has been googling “HEAB Nice Ass” :-) Trying to get more hits, Heather!?!?

Just joking! Mighty fine tush if I do say so myself :-)

~Alyssa

Heather Eats Almond Butter July 16, 2010 at 1:08 pm

Glutenfreemuse, Haha – yes!

Rae July 16, 2010 at 1:08 pm

I love maternity jeans! I would wear them as soon as I could…I didn’t care if I could still fit in my regular pants. They are so comfy! And, they are great for the first few weeks after you have the baby too!

Heather Eats Almond Butter July 16, 2010 at 1:09 pm

Rae, First few weeks after I have the baby?!? How about for the rest of my life???? ;)

Katie July 16, 2010 at 1:09 pm

Crack. What a funny word.

missyrayn July 16, 2010 at 1:13 pm

I love the crack wrap still.

The comment on the jeans totally made me think of the Friends Thanksgiving episode where Joey uses Phoebe’s old maternity pants as his “thanksgiving pants.” Makes me smile.

Heather Eats Almond Butter July 16, 2010 at 1:21 pm

missyrayn, Guess Joey wasn’t as dumb as I thought! ;)

mapledreams July 16, 2010 at 1:15 pm

Love the ass shot! Made my day, so it did! hahaha! I’m not even kidding when I say this; some maternity clothes are so pretty, and i actually am tempted to buy them to wear as a baggy type top or loose fitting trousers!xx

christina July 16, 2010 at 1:18 pm

hahah love the booty shot!! you look so great. :)

homecookedem July 16, 2010 at 1:32 pm

Lots of my preggo friends have been anti-maternity clothes… NOT me!! Omg, they are the best!! They hold it all in and plus they make peeing 50,000 times a day a breeze!! Just pull ‘em up and down – no zipping or buttoning!!

I love the crack wrap! I ate one almost everyday for lunch last summer!! Yours looks so good!!

Meg July 16, 2010 at 1:49 pm

Hahaha crackage – LOVE it. Congrats on your first pair of crack-free maternity pants! What a beautiful photo of you! Okay, the one of your butt is pretty, too. I haven’t had a crack wrap in FOREVER, so thank you for reminding us of how crack-like they really are ;)

Have a great weekend, Heather!
Meg

Heather Eats Almond Butter July 16, 2010 at 1:51 pm

You too Meg! :)

hayleycepeda July 16, 2010 at 1:52 pm

Great minds must think alike – I was JUST dreaming about the crack wrap the other night and wondering why I hadn’t eaten one in ages?! I like to stuff some veggies in there, too (bell peppers, etc). Oh how I love warm, gooey cheese and hummus? Well…there aren’t enough good things to say about it. :)

When I got my first pair of maternity jeans I told my husband I was never going back to wearing regular ones again. The band around mine isn’t too big so it doesn’t come up too high (which bugs the crap out of me) but i absolutely love them. Plus – you can’t tell they aren’t regular jeans! Teehee…if it ain’t broke, don’t fix it! Heheheh..

Cherie July 16, 2010 at 1:52 pm

Hahaha! Oh my! You are hilarious. Crack is wack, Heather. Good butt shot.

Heather Eats Almond Butter July 16, 2010 at 1:54 pm

Cherie, You’ll never have to be on “Heather crack patrol”again! ;)

Mama Pea July 16, 2010 at 2:09 pm

I love your crack.

I actually made a crack wrap yesterday with Daiya. And IT. WAS. AWESOME.

Have a good weekend, you crack fiend.

Heather Eats Almond Butter July 16, 2010 at 2:15 pm

Mama P, Love that Daiya stuff, and so glad the crack is back in your life! ;)

Carbzilla July 16, 2010 at 2:09 pm

You are hilarious!

I was JUST thinking about crack wraps today. I knew they had hummus but couldn’t remember what else. Sounds like a good Sunday lunch.

Nice ass, HEABS!

Alicia July 16, 2010 at 2:37 pm

I love the wall color as well. Would you happen to know the name of the color?

Thanks and have a great weekend!

Heather Eats Almond Butter July 17, 2010 at 10:11 am

Alicia, I wish I did as so many people ask about it, but that paint was already on the walls when we bought our house. Hope you have a great weekend as well. :)

Heather July 16, 2010 at 2:41 pm

bahahaha! i love that crack has 2 connotations in this post! and i kinda want some maternity jeans now… :)

Serena July 16, 2010 at 2:42 pm

Your jeans look fantastic! Very cool.
Also, I am the same way with cheese. Cow cheese makes me feel icky (and cow milk, etc) but I’m good with the goat :D (Weirdly sheep’s cheese doesn’t make me feel too good either)

Heather Eats Almond Butter July 17, 2010 at 10:13 am

Serena, I was wondering how my body would react to sheep’s cheese. I had it a long time ago as well as sheep’s yogurt. For now, I think I’ll stick with goat. Love it so! :)

Mary @ Bites and Bliss July 16, 2010 at 2:44 pm

LOL!! This reminds me of your search results from a while ago..what was it “hott ass”? Something like that? :P

Heather Eats Almond Butter July 17, 2010 at 10:12 am

Mary, I’ve gotten “piece of ass” and “nice ass”, but “hot ass” would be nice. ;)

Anya @ Fitness & Sunshine July 16, 2010 at 2:49 pm

I love cheese as well! Good thing you found comfy pants :) they look great, too!

Kelly July 16, 2010 at 2:53 pm

I have a friend who wear maternity jeans because she says they are so comfortable and she is by no means pregnant or needs maternity sized clothing. They must be nice!! haha!

Jennifer@ knackfornutrition.blogspot.com July 16, 2010 at 3:19 pm

Haha I love that you are ballsy enough to put a picture of your ass online :) Kudos!

I was wondering, do you think that lactose intolerance can be built over time, for instance, if someone goes vegan and then reverts back into conventional eating practices? I am just curious because I cut out most dairy from my diet over the past 6 months, but while living abroad in France I could not avoid it and I would notice a lot of discomfort after consumption.

Heather Eats Almond Butter July 17, 2010 at 10:18 am

Jennifer, I’m not sure. I know a lot of people experience stomach distress when they incorporate meat back into their diets after being vegetarian. I was vegan for 3 years, and when I ate fish for the first time, there were issues. However, reintroducing red meat didn’t bother me. I know I go through my lactose intolerance phases myself, and so yes, I guess our bodies do adapt and change where dairy is concerned. For about 3 years when I was younger, if I drank even 1/2 a glass of milk, I would experience horrible stomach cramps, but then it just went away. Just keep listening to your body – it will let you know when it doesn’t like something, but yeah the cheese and butter in France is hard to resist…not to mention the Nutella. ;)

Rosey Rebecca July 16, 2010 at 3:53 pm

You look so pretty in your pic! I love your shirt. The second shot is hilarious!

You mentioned goat cheese above and I feel it’s necessary to tell you that I just made a goat cheese and mango quesadilla and it was AHmazing! You should try it!

Heather Eats Almond Butter July 17, 2010 at 10:46 am

Rosey, Oh my gosh, that sounds amazing – mango with melted goat cheese. Yes, I should totally try that. Kicking myself b/c I just got home from Costco, and they had fresh sliced mango for sale. Grrr, I knew I should have bought some! Oh well, there’s always next week. :)

Megan July 16, 2010 at 3:54 pm

Maybe plumbers should start wearing pregnancy jeans. They ARE the worst offenders of exposed ass crack, after all ;) – those wraps look awesome! What flavor of hummus did you use?

Heather Eats Almond Butter July 17, 2010 at 10:56 am

Megan, My favorite hummus is Trader Joe’s Smooth and Creamy original. So good with the melted cheese! And yes, they should totally market maternity jeans towards plumbers. Haha! :)

Cat July 16, 2010 at 4:43 pm

This post is awesome. The crack wrap looks amazing!!!! I think I’ll go make one now. Do you know about the trick with a rubber band with your regular jeans. Oh and I agree that maternity jeans do rock!

Heather Eats Almond Butter July 17, 2010 at 10:55 am

Cat, Yes, I’ve heard about the rubber band trick, and will probably will need to try it out soon. We still need to have our Sweet CeCe’s date! Chris and I leave July 31 for a month – so call me before then!

Lara (Thinspired) July 16, 2010 at 4:46 pm

Love the new maternity pants, Heabie! You wear them well :)

Oh, crack wraps. I tried to bring them back last Spring but failed miserably because I (gasp) got sick of hummus :( I could kill one right now, though….yummmmm.

So exciting to read about your babymoon! What a treat for you two :)

bananasforbananas July 16, 2010 at 4:46 pm

Oh lordy if I ate cheese I would be all over that.
P.S.- lookin good HEABster :)

Sarah (See Sarah Eat/River City Fitness) July 16, 2010 at 4:58 pm

Ah, I remember the crack wrap! Those are some awesome jeans, glad you found ‘em ;-) And I love how you connected the two cracks, ha ha. Have a good weekend!

gina (fitnessista) July 16, 2010 at 5:08 pm

goat dairy > cow dairy
always :D
LOVE the new jeans! you rock them :)
have a great weekend!

Liz @ Tip Top Shape July 16, 2010 at 6:05 pm

Hahahaha, no crackage is always a good thing.

That wrap looks ridiculously good. It looked all gooey and crispy. I just ate dinner but am seriously considering replicating that for a completely unnecessary late night snack, lol.

kelli July 16, 2010 at 6:27 pm

those jeans are so cute!! Why can’t all jeans be like maternity jeans with a belly band?!

Heather Eats Almond Butter July 17, 2010 at 10:53 am

Kelli, I was wondering the same thing myself!

BroccoliHut July 16, 2010 at 7:38 pm

Ah man, I remember the crack wrap–so delish.
Digging the new maternity pants! I have to admit I always look longingly at all the cute clothes I see in the windows of maternity stores…

Annie D @ Annie's Simple Life July 16, 2010 at 7:41 pm

Bwahahahaha!!! Well that’s GREAT that you have jeans that are comfy. Do they make those for us non-preggos? LOL

Heather Eats Almond Butter July 17, 2010 at 10:53 am

Annie, You could totally get away with wearing them – just keep the belly band covered. I promise I won’t tell. ;)

Ann Claire July 16, 2010 at 8:56 pm

The crack wrap looks great, as do you in your maternity pants! Those looks so cute and comfy!

Marycela July 16, 2010 at 9:47 pm

Those pants look good and comfy. Congrats on the HEABlet

Heather Eats Almond Butter July 17, 2010 at 10:52 am

Thanks Marycela. :)

annecalista July 16, 2010 at 10:50 pm

You are hilarious!! And those wraps do look delicious…

Averie (LoveVeggiesAndYoga) July 16, 2010 at 10:55 pm

I totally hate jeans the older I get and just this week have been posting about my search for jeans. I just jumped on and got a pair of jeggings = jeans + leggings but they are skinny and til now, I have been resisted the skinny jean trend. But it’s not going away! But when i was pregnant you couldnt catch me in jeans…band or not. Omg the heat from the denim, summer in TN, girl….you are one brave mama! I rocked the flowing dress and/or elastic waist skirt when I was pregnant! LOL :)

Heather Eats Almond Butter July 17, 2010 at 10:51 am

Averie, It’s dresses most days – love flowy things in the summer, but I have a feeling those jeans will getting lots of use come fall! Hope you’re having a good weekend. :)

specialkphd July 16, 2010 at 11:45 pm

This is why I love coming back to blogs! CONGRATULATIONS! I am so happy for you (and always a little like…why don’t I EAT like her?!!!) you continue to inspire
and jeans! I have never really liked um, so can’t imagine your dilemma. your butt looks GREAT!

Heather Eats Almond Butter July 17, 2010 at 10:50 am

Thanks specialkphd. :)

wendy @ ABCs and Garden Peas July 17, 2010 at 2:45 am

I always found my materity jeans to be too stretchy. I’d put them on and feel GREAT, but then by the end of the day the crotch was down around my knees and I couldn’t keep them up!

Heather Eats Almond Butter July 17, 2010 at 10:50 am

Wendy, Yeah, I had the same problem yesterday. I was hoping the jeans would stay in place better as my belly gets larger. Do they?

Kristin (Cook, Bake and Nibble) July 17, 2010 at 5:07 am

Mmm, crack wrap. I’ve heard great things about Gap Maternity jeans- glad you like them! I like their regular jeans very much :)

xo
Kris

Tes July 17, 2010 at 6:45 am

Wow the crack wrap looks delicious :)
When I was pregnant I didn’t use jeans at all. I find dress and skirt more comfortable.
Have a wonderful weekend,
Tes

Megan @ The Oatmeal Diaries July 17, 2010 at 6:50 am

I make those wraps all the time using cabot lactose-free cheese! LOVE ‘em!

40apples July 17, 2010 at 8:25 am

I was just doing some research on the differences in digestion between cow and goat cheese too! I’ve always noticed that goat cheese sits easier with my stomach than cow dairy, but apparently it’s a proven fact: the proteins in goat milk are more similar to those in human milk (who knew), and smaller in size than cow’s milk (their length being the reason so many people have trouble digesting them) – so our bodies are more naturally suited to digest them than cow’s milk proteins. I use this as an excuse to enjoy goat cheese with wild abandon.

Love the mom jeans. Kinda wish it was appropriate for non-pregnant persons to sport them (would be sooo comfy…) ;)

Heather Eats Almond Butter July 17, 2010 at 10:48 am

40apples, No one will know if you’re wearing maternity jeans – just keep the band covered with a long shirt. ;)

Love my goat cheese too – don’t know how I lived so long without it!

A Teenage Gourmet July 17, 2010 at 8:42 am

This post goes really well this my post today, haha! It’s very funny. :) That looks like aged goat cheese, it is? Because, I’ve never seen fresh melt that way before.

Heather Eats Almond Butter July 17, 2010 at 10:47 am

Teenage Gourmet, I used the Trader Joe’s Dutch goat milk cheese slices. Love them!

caronae July 17, 2010 at 11:56 am

Nice photo of you at the end there. :) I am crack wrap obsessed even though I really should not be having any lactose right now. They are amazing with guacamole or avocado slices! I bet salsa would be good too. They’re just so hot and gooey and melty. The perfect lunch!

Sarah Anne July 17, 2010 at 9:44 pm

You look fabulous and glowy HEAB! My friends lived in maternity jeans for all their pregnancies and swore by a good pair.

Barbara July 20, 2010 at 1:29 pm