The Old HEABster Returns

by HEAB on July 17, 2010

Quick post today my friends. Been a busy morning, and we’re about to leave for the Nashville Beer Mile. CD is running…I am not. ;)

Just wanted to share a few old favorites that are back in my life…

Much to CD’s dismay, I am loving on stinky roasted broccoli again! To make, I empty a bag of frozen broccoli into my cast iron skillet, season it with salt and pepper, and roast in a 425° oven for about 45 minutes, stirring once or twice. Yes, I stick it in the oven frozen, and no it does not get all watery. Sometimes, I add a few dabs of coconut oil or butter, & sometimes, I add none at all. After it’s all roasty and toasty, I love mixing a little fresh lime juice with rice wine vinegar, salt, pepper, and a drizzle of maple syrup together and then pouring it over the broccoli. So good, and I’d like to thank Rachael for the inspiration!

Another old HEAB favorite I’ve been making every day?

Oat bran with chocolate rice protein powder and Maranatha’s sunflower seed butter. Why this combo had no appeal to me for the first few months of my pregnancy, I’ll never know as it is one of my all-time favorites! In fact, I think I ate this almost everyday for breakfast last summer. I like to let the oat bran sit for a while before eating, and that’s why the top looks a bit crusty. It tends to thicken up, and besides, I hate burning my tongue on straight-off-the-stovetop oats! I’ve been eating this every night before going to bed, and I swear it helps me sleep better. Carbs = tryptophan for me. ;)

Honestly, my appetite has been out of control these past few weeks, but I’m just trying to roll with it. The heat is not helping as it’s so draining. However, I’m still trying to get out and walk when I can, and still loving my yoga.

OK, gotta go. I haven’t been around the computer much, and my inbox is a bit full. However, I promise I will get back to all of you soon!

What’s your go-to late night snack, and can you go to bed hungry? I can’t, and if I do, I usually end up eating a big bowl of Peanut Butter Puffins around 3 AM. ;)

operagirlcooks July 17, 2010 at 11:41 am

I have so much trouble going to bed hungry! When I just can’t stand it, I eat a spoonful of nut butter or a popsicle.

VeggieGirl July 17, 2010 at 11:42 am

Broccoli came back into my life as well! :-D

Evan Thomas July 17, 2010 at 11:45 am

I havent had many roasted veggies since Summer started. I wish those taste buds would return!

Erin July 17, 2010 at 11:47 am

I hate going to bed hungry! I usually chug some water if the late night hunger hits. Doesn’t always work, but most of the time, my tummy is satisfied.

When I was pregnant with my son, I just went with the cravings as they came! I love reading about yours!

Hello Veggie July 17, 2010 at 11:49 am

I need to roast some broccoli asap. That sounds/looks really good. I’ve never done it!

Jenn/HeVe

hayleycepeda July 17, 2010 at 11:49 am

I seriously need to try roasting broccoli that way – I have a whole bag of it in the freezer and the method couldn’t be simpler so I have no excuses! :)

Oat bran/oatmeal + chocolate protein powder has started appealing to me over the past few weeks so it’s made more of an appearance for me too lately! Funny how our tastes change with pregnancy…you’ve just put me in the mood for some! Though it’s so dang hot all I seem to want lately is cottage cheese & strawberries. Good luck to CD!

Heather (Perspective Is Everything) July 17, 2010 at 11:55 am

CANNOT go to bed hungry! If I end up waking up hungry I CANNOT fall back asleep either.
I usually do cereal and peanut butter. Quick easy and right back to dreamland :)

Jenny July 17, 2010 at 11:58 am

only in blogworld would “crusty oat bran” sound appetizing :)

Heather Eats Almond Butter July 17, 2010 at 3:45 pm

Jenny, Haha – so true!

Heather July 17, 2010 at 11:59 am

so glad the old HEABster is back ;) i can go to bed hungry…i don’t like to, but i can…and then i usually feel infinitely better in the morning!

Marina July 17, 2010 at 12:02 pm

Woo for the broccoli!
I can’t go to bed without a snack, usually some cereal with milk. That tryptophan is really important for my sleep :)

Lauren @ Eater not a runner July 17, 2010 at 12:07 pm

I love roasting frozen broccoli, best trick ever!

homecookedem July 17, 2010 at 12:08 pm

I had no idea you could roast up frozen broccoli! Thanks for the idea. I’ll have to try that out!!

Heather Eats Almond Butter July 17, 2010 at 3:46 pm

Em, It’s much less stinky than steaming fresh broccoli!

Sarena (The Non-Dairy Queen) July 17, 2010 at 12:12 pm

There’s the girl I love! You know I eat a big ol’ bowl of oats for my night time snackage! Enjoy your day, I hope it is pretty there!

mapledreams July 17, 2010 at 12:14 pm

I find it impossible to sleep on a normal night, and even more impossible if i go hungry! i LOVE broccolli! xx

Jessica @ How Sweet July 17, 2010 at 12:22 pm

I can never go to bed hungry! I have to be full to be sleepy. :)

kathleen July 17, 2010 at 12:28 pm

sunflower seeds are good for promoting sleep because they have magnesium in them.

glad it’s working for you!

Heather Eats Almond Butter July 17, 2010 at 3:57 pm

Kathleen, Really? Good to know. :)

dorrybird July 17, 2010 at 12:57 pm

My go-to late night snack is cereal for sure. Cinnamon Puffins are a favorite. I also like a single-serving microwave oatmeal cookie!

missyrayn July 17, 2010 at 1:12 pm

I love the stinky broccoli flavor. But lucky for me Hunni can’t smell so it is all good.

annecalista July 17, 2010 at 1:27 pm

Banana soft serve is my new favorite late-night snack! It satisfies my sweet craving without giving me the “sugar jitters”. :-)

Justine July 17, 2010 at 1:30 pm

I tend to eat dinner a little later and go to bed early, so I don’t normally go to bed hungry, but if I am a mug of hot chocolate or warm milk with dates usually does the trick. :)

kaztronomic July 17, 2010 at 1:31 pm

I love roasted broccoli!

I can’t go to sleep hungry, either. I usually graze on a bit of fruit with a handful of almonds or cashews, or a dollop of nut butter. =)

Liz @ Tip Top Shape July 17, 2010 at 1:31 pm

Mmm, I LOVE roasted broccoli!!

I try not to eat at night (because I usually eat too much when I let myself) but if I am rrreeallyyy hungry I will grab a few dates or one granola bar. I usually have tea, too, which helps with late night munchies.

40apples July 17, 2010 at 1:41 pm

If I go to bed feeling even slightly hungry, I will first have all sorts of trouble falling asleep and then will keep waking up throughout the night – from dreams about me eating! So I do my best to avoid the pre-bedtime hungries. Usually something like a Larabar or yogurt helps.

Jessica @ Rawtumn July 17, 2010 at 1:54 pm

Mmm broccoli is my favorite veg! Love the drizzle of maple syrup you add, I need to try that next time. My go-to late night snack usually always involves peanut butter in some way. Lately I’ve been going for pieces of the homemade protein bars I have in the freezer, lots of yummy peanut butter in those, among other things! ;-)

Kelly July 17, 2010 at 2:01 pm

My late night snack as of late has been oatmeal….true love I tell you! :)

Katie July 17, 2010 at 2:25 pm

Welcome home, broccoli!

I can’t go to bed hungry either. I was eating dinner earlier than normal for awhile and going to bed slightly hungry and couldn’t figure out why I would wake up starving at 2 am. My go-to middle of the night snack is either a frozen banana with peanut butter or a few slices of deli turkey with mustard.

Mary @ Bites and Bliss July 17, 2010 at 2:35 pm

There’s no way I can go to bed hungry! Otherwise I’ll wake up in the middle of the night staarrving. I always eat a high protein snack right before bed, usually something with a little cottage cheese in it. But that’s just one of the two or three after dinner snacks- all really high in protein. :P

Heather Eats Almond Butter July 17, 2010 at 3:55 pm

Mary, My FAVORITE late night snack used to be cottage cheese with vanilla whey protein powder and some cereal for crunch. LOVED it…darn dairy allergy. :(

Tina July 17, 2010 at 2:43 pm

It makes me so happy to hear that you can toss frozen broccoli onto a pan and it comes out fine roasted. I have always wanted to do that since frozen broccoli is so much cheaper to buy.

Averie (LoveVeggiesAndYoga) July 17, 2010 at 2:55 pm

First, I am usually just going to BED at 3am!! Not already been sleeping..that’s the luxury of a woman with no kids…haha! Seriously though, love the hours of 1a-3am. No one’s up, no one’s in my inbox, the world is kind of still and quiet (except for the bar go’ers) and i just love it. That’s also when i make popcorn. Not just any popcorn. It has coconut oil, nooch, cinnamon, stevia, cocoa powder or choc sun warrior powder, and it’s like a vat of lovliness while I watch dvr’ed shows in my bed. It’s like my Bliss! Why am I telling you this? I have no idea :)

Good luck to CD today!!

xo

Heather Eats Almond Butter July 17, 2010 at 3:54 pm

Averie, Perhaps you’re telling me b/c you sensed that I bought an entire box of microwave popcorn at Costco to christen our new micro, and I have yet to touch it…perhaps your popcorn will be my new late night snack of choice. ;)

Samantha July 17, 2010 at 3:17 pm

Going to bed hungry is the pits. I always have either Polly’s nutri grain bars or trail mix or some other snack made up for the kids for school/hiking/kayaking, etc. If I’m hungry I’ll munch on one of those, not the best choices pre bed but better than some alternatives. :)

I’ve been doing oat bran a lot too, good stuff!

Danielle (Runs on Green) July 17, 2010 at 3:27 pm

Yayy glad you’re lovin’ your fav. foods again! I never thought roasted brocc smelled bad. Everytime I made it, my parents would make these faces and tell me it was foul-smelling but I guess I just don’t smell it haha

Megan July 17, 2010 at 4:56 pm

I can’t go to bed hungry, either! I like something with dairy before bed…must be my subliminal inner mother hinting for me to drink warm milk or something. :)

nourishingnoshes July 17, 2010 at 5:28 pm

I love a nice warm bowl of oats thats been cooked in vanilla soy milk with a sprinkling of cinnamon on top. Puts me right to sleep!

*Andrea* July 17, 2010 at 6:18 pm

love broccoli!!! whole foods makes a great asiago cheese cauliflower too that i adore.

my favorite late night snack is a big chunk of dark chocolate & fruit OR a larabar

BroccoliHut July 17, 2010 at 6:24 pm

YAY for the return of broccoli!

A Teenage Gourmet July 17, 2010 at 6:54 pm

It’s really common for pregnant women to crave broccoli! Bodies just know when the need iron and folic acid I guess. :)

Krystina July 17, 2010 at 7:01 pm

I’m happy for the return of broccoli and nut/seed butter! Sunflower seed butter is delish. :)

fitnessandsunshine July 17, 2010 at 7:53 pm

I love roasted broc! Never thought of putting coconut butter with them but I might give it a try. I just got some coconut butter and the idea sounds great :D

wendy @ ABCs and Garden Peas July 17, 2010 at 8:32 pm

I like a little rumble in my tummy at bedtime. Not a big rumble, though.

When I’m snacky at night, I’m all about the ice cream, but if it’s real hunger, I like PB&J oats.

rachael July 18, 2010 at 5:44 am

That oatbran looks yummy. I second the peanut butter puffins, I buy envirokids peanut butter puffs for the boy once in a while and always end up eating the whole box myself.

susan July 18, 2010 at 7:58 am

hey heather! i also can NOT go to bed hungry! even if it’s after midnight, i have to eat or else i just won’t get sleepy. i usually snack on some nuts/pretzels/chips…and admittedly, once i snack, it usually triggers my appetite even more. so then i may have a fruity yogurt or cookies or chocolate with nuts. somehow, late night cravings do not include fruit or healthy food for me =/. and then, finally, i get so sleepy, but probably from carb coma! but it does the trick. =) hope you’re doing great! have a wonderful trip!

susan

Heather Eats Almond Butter July 18, 2010 at 8:13 am

Susan, Yes, I love my carb comas at night. ;)

Chelsea July 18, 2010 at 8:15 am

Hey Heather
I have to say, I have enjoyed reading through your blog very much :) totally inspiring, so I have you to thank for that! I am looking forward to hear more about how you approach eating and exercise towards the end of your pregnancy-when I was pregnant with my daughter I ate so healthy and did yoga and even ran, almost everyday-right up to the last month, where I ate cereal and chocolate chips obsessively :) and slowed my “running” to a walk/waddle :) But even though I did all of that I still gained 60 pounds!!!!!!! (I did, however lose 30 on the table, and give birth to an almost 9 pound baby)

Keep up the great work! The more you workout during your pregnancy, the easier the weight comes off TRUST ME lol
-Chelsea

Heather Eats Almond Butter July 18, 2010 at 11:33 am

Thanks for reading my blog and for the encouragement Chelsea…I’m already on the cereal/chocolate chip kick. Just trying not to go overboard. ;)

kathleen July 18, 2010 at 8:39 am

i am just curious and trying to find out if i am the odd pregnant person. i did this thing where i thought i had food aversions for a few days at the beginning of pregnancy (i am now 18 weeks). i was getting a CSA box at the time and the thought of vegetables were bleh to me but then i decided that i had already paid for all of this food and i couldn’t waste it. when i cooked vegetables and sat down and ate them, they were delicious and i have been gobbling up vegetables ever since. i guess i am asking if the thought of certain foods was gross to you or if you actually ate nut butters and vegetables and had a bad reaction.

Heather Eats Almond Butter July 18, 2010 at 11:38 am

Kathleen, It was totally the thought of the foods. For instance, the thought of preparing broccoli or the smell of it cooking would make me so sick, but it was presented to me at a restaurant, I ate and enjoyed it. Nut butters also had no appeal, but then one day, I ate a Reese’s peanut butter cup, and the peanut butter tasted so amazing. Now, I’m loving on the nut butters again. So, no you are not odd, and I really do think you’re right. It was/is the thought and the smell of foods that bothered me, not the actual taste. However, I do have to say that I got really sick after eating some oats with tahini one night, and the thought of tahini still makes me want to vomit. It tasted good going down, but I just felt so awful afterwards. Sad too, because it was my favorite. However, come to think of it, I’ve had tahini dressing since then at a Greek restaurant and loved it. Go figure. Pregnancy make your body so wacky! Anyway, many congrats to you, and I’m happy to hear you’re loving on the veggies. :)

eugenie July 18, 2010 at 9:34 am

The broccoli sounds great. Thanks for reminding me about sunflower seed butter. LOVE that stuff. I am trying to get my dad to eat more healthy fats. Might see if he’ll give that a try :-)
Lately, when I get hungry late at night, I try to totally stay away from sugar and just have something with fat and protein…but only a little bit. Like, a few dry roasted almonds, or a tablespoon of nut butter, or a slice of low fat cheese. If you have a big glass of water with it too, it tends to help! :-) I’ve been trying to lose a few pounds lately, so I’m quite familiar with feeling rather hungry late at night. It’s not pleasant going to bed starving!!
xx good luck

Rachael July 18, 2010 at 10:25 am

My default late-night snack ends up being nut butter and tea. Odd combination, perhaps, but it works and I’m able to fall asleep comfortably. Honestly, I still have an unnatural fear of night time snacking, and so I’m trying to de-guiltify the whole process by doing it on a regular basis.

kelsey@snackingsquirrel.com July 18, 2010 at 12:05 pm

i always seem to reach for fruit if im hungry at night, thats when cherries and mangoes and grapes always look the most appetizing lol.

haha ive been loving all your pregnancy craving and stories! but i can imagine how draining it would be with the hot hot sun shining down on you. always makes me lethargic and listless.

xoxo

Pure2raw twins July 18, 2010 at 4:04 pm

Your roasted broccoli sounds great! I never had maple syrup on them, sounds amazing! I will have to try that next.

I could not imagine being pregnant in the summer. Sorry! My sister had it rough in FL, but for all the moms out there you are all strong ladies!!!

Heather Eats Almond Butter July 18, 2010 at 5:52 pm

Thanks Pure2Raw…at least I’m not in my 3rd trimester in this heat!

Beth @ DiningAndDishing July 19, 2010 at 11:23 am

My go to late-night snack is always cereal. There is something so simple and comforting about cereal late at night :) .

Sarah July 19, 2010 at 11:47 am

I cannot go to bed hungry! I’d rather eat an extra meal before bed and miss breakfast than try to sleep through hunger.

Kari July 21, 2010 at 10:36 pm

Hi Heather!

I’ve recently been reading a lot of your recipes and loving them, especially because they look sooo simple! That’s great for when you’re a busy college student like me.

I have a question, though, concerning the Jay Robb protein powder–can you recommend another brand or tell me what to look for (or point me to another blog post)? I’ve had stevia in the past, and *sob*, it tastes so bitter and funny to me!

Thanks and keep the yummy recipes coming!

Heather Eats Almond Butter July 22, 2010 at 10:31 am

Kari, I really only use the Jay Robb protein powder and sometimes Sun Warrior as they are the only rice protein powders I really like. I can’t do whey because I’m allergic, and I think hemp protein tastes like dirt. Both Jay Robb and Sun Warrior use stevia as a sweetener, but you might want to give Jay a try. Honestly, I don’t detect any funky stevia aftertaste, and his whey is especially tasty if you don’t have any problems with dairy. Some health food stores carry sample size packs, and so you could try that before committing to a whole container. If you’re looking for unsweetened rice protein powder, Nutribiotic makes some. It’s okay, but I’m just so used to Jay’s that I don’t like the unsweetened stuff. However, you could add your own favorite sweetener, and I bet it would be delicious! Hope this helps, and thanks for reading my blog! :) -Heather

Allie (Protein Girl) July 26, 2010 at 7:48 am

Yay! the broccoli returns!