Keeping It Light

by HEAB on July 18, 2010

Yesterday after the Nashville Beer Mile, Chris and I joined my family for dinner at Cantina Laredo. They come and make the guacamole right at your table, and there was a lot of the following consumed by yours truly…

Oh gosh, I was so full. This morning I woke up with zero appetite and decided NOT to celebrate Pancake Sunday. However, after after an hour long walk with the dogs, lots of laundry, and a trip to Trader Joe’s, I was ready for lunch, and kept it light and summery. ‘Twas perfect. :)

I kicked things off with a cucumber salad (cucumbers, rice wine vinegar, fresh lime juice, pepper, and stevia). JacobC, friend, champion chocolate milk miler, and reader of HEAB, was kind enough to bring Chris and I some homegrown tomatoes yesterday. Thanks Jacob! So, I knew I had to incorporate one into my lunch. Jacob, they are so good! I warmed two corn tortillas in a skillet over medium heat and added some grilled chicken breasts strips and 1 slice of goat cheese. I then popped them into a warm toaster oven until the cheese melted, removed them, added a slice of tomato to each along with a big dollop of Katie’s raw vegan creamy pesto. Katie, I love you as this pesto is amazing! Summer tomatoes + fresh pesto = happiness…and melted cheese is of course good all year-round. ;)

Many of you wrote to tell me you really liked the idea of homemade detergent, and so I wanted to share another homemade non-toxic recipe that is perfect for this time of year. Radley, our youngest pup, is super sensitive to just about everything. The last time we used Frontline on her, she had a bad reaction. Since I wanted to avoid any other kind of flea/tick repellent containing chemicals, I started making it myself. This works great as a bug repellent for people too, and I actually spray it on all our door frames and entryways as well. Plus, it doesn’t stink!

Ingredients:

1 large lemon, sliced

3 to 4 sprigs of fresh rosemary or 1 TBSP dried rosemary

1 quart boiling water

Directions:

Place the lemon and rosemary in a large ceramic or glass bowl. Add the boiling water and allow to steep overnight. Strain the next day and pour the lemon rosemary water into a spray bottle. Store in fridge and spray pets every few days. Just make sure to avoid their eyes…also make sure to give them a treat afterwards.

Do you tend to attract mosquitoes? They love CD’s blood but for some reason, I never get nearly as many bites as he does. Perhaps it’s all the stinky broccoli I eat? ;)

operagirlcooks July 18, 2010 at 12:16 pm

Wow, ginger and jalapeno in pesto! That sounds inventively delicious. Your tortilla/cheese/tomato/pesto stacks look delicious.

mapledreams July 18, 2010 at 12:23 pm

Brocolli has more advantages than you’d think eh?!
xx

Tina July 18, 2010 at 12:24 pm

I have been craving tomatoes this pregnancy. I had a sandwich with pesto yesterday and it made the sandwich. I’m going to have to recreate something like this soon.

eatmovelove July 18, 2010 at 12:26 pm

Meh – stinky broccoli – sometimes the stinkiest foods are the best though – eggs, cheese, …Doritos ;)

Mara @ What's For Dinner? July 18, 2010 at 12:28 pm

UGH yes, i get terrible mosquito bites every summer…but that’s the curse of working at camp!

Sarena (The Non-Dairy Queen) July 18, 2010 at 12:37 pm

I love fresh Mexican food! So good! Sounds like you are having a productive Sunday already!!! Enjoy the rest of your day!

Erin July 18, 2010 at 12:39 pm

I must try this repellent! My boyfriend and his yellow lab are both mosquito magnets, whereas my son and I rarely get bit up. I have both lemon & rosemary in the house right now…so I’m off to make this! Thanks for the recipe!

Heather Eats Almond Butter July 18, 2010 at 2:36 pm

Erin, You’re welcome. :)

fitnessandsunshine July 18, 2010 at 12:42 pm

What an easy recipe, thanks a bunch for the idea! :)

Ana July 18, 2010 at 12:43 pm

Ohh, me and my son are the ones chosen by the mosquitoes, my husband almost never gets bitten. And the two of us are broccoli lovers – we do eat way more than my husband do. The effects are opposite around here!
Good idea to spray the doors, I think I will try your repellent, I have a huge bush of rosemary in the backyard!
Don’t you love summer tomatoes and basil together?? Oh my, it is the best! Today I made caprese salad for lunch, best thing ever during the summer months!

Heather Eats Almond Butter July 18, 2010 at 3:03 pm

Ana, Hope the repellent helps, and yes, tomatoes and basil are an amazing combo. You must make Katie’s pesto when you get your Vita-Mix! :)

Stacey K. July 18, 2010 at 12:46 pm

I have a VERY sensitive puppy too! He is allergic to frontline and advantix. I have been trying to find a natural rememdy, and this sounds fantastic!

I also use Avons Skin so Soft on my puppy! Fleas and Mosquito’s hate it and it is hypoallergenic!

Heather Eats Almond Butter July 18, 2010 at 2:59 pm

Stacey, Yes, my mom uses the Skin So Soft every summer, but I never thought about using it on the dogs!

homecookedem July 18, 2010 at 12:59 pm

Fleas are the worst I’ve seen ‘em around here this year. They keep bothering my poor pups. I hate that spraying those harsh chemicals on my babies. This is awesome! Thanks so much and it will save us lots of money!!!!! You are the best!! :)

Heather Eats Almond Butter July 18, 2010 at 2:57 pm

Em, You’re welcome. :)

dorrybird July 18, 2010 at 1:02 pm

I get bit ALL the time and they become huge and swollen. So pretty. ;)

My fiance doesn’t get bit at all – even when we lived in Belize!

Heather Eats Almond Butter July 18, 2010 at 2:51 pm

Dorrybird, CD is the same way. He’ll be outside for about 5 minutes and will come back inside covered in these huge welt-like bites, and I won’t have any. You both must have sweet blood…and maybe your fiance and I have sour? ;)

Erica July 18, 2010 at 1:03 pm

mmmmmm. I wish I could have joined you in the chips and salsa/guac fest last night! Fantastic. I love summer tomatoes- they taste nothing like the bland tomatoes that usually come out of the grocery store. Hope the rest of your Sunday is fantastic

Whitney July 18, 2010 at 1:03 pm

Nick and I looked up the results of the Beer Mile and were dying laughing at CD’s time and beer choice (Nick applauds the choice :) ) . Can’t believe that isn’t his strongest event :)

Heather Eats Almond Butter July 18, 2010 at 2:41 pm

Whitney, Oh my gosh, it was hilarious. Chris is an amazing runner, but a horrible drinker. Definitely no PR’s set yesterday. ;)

kelsey@snackingsquirrel.com July 18, 2010 at 1:12 pm

we dont have restaurants or any place here for that matter, that serves guacamole like that with chips to dip in. the only places here look grubby and u have to wonder how fresh it is. this place would be fantastic!

xoxo

Rosey Rebecca July 18, 2010 at 1:23 pm

I am obsessed with guac. It’s all I thought about for a week about a month go. I was in a guacamole-making frenzy.

I love your homemade solutions. :-)

Meg July 18, 2010 at 1:31 pm

That recipe is definitely going to come in handy over here, thank you, Heather! Mosquitoes flock to me, and my pup as well! Pesto and tomatoes sound lovely together, and so does fresh, table-made guac! Wowza! Perfect summer meal if you ask me.

Have a great day! :)
Meg

christina cadden July 18, 2010 at 2:01 pm

mmm, looks delicious!

cassandra July 18, 2010 at 2:17 pm

We were just having a mosquito debate the other day at lunch during our last yoga teacher training session… one of the girls thought that maybe being vegan was the reason why mosquitos didn’t bite her, ever… but two of the other vegan girls noted that they get bit all the time.

As for my omnivore self… they don’t bite me at all. And I don’t eat broccoli very often, I have to keep a low intake with the cruciferous vegetable group with my thyroid problems.

But there has to be a reason why they target some people and not others, maybe pH levels or hormones? Companies are too busy selling bug repellant and not working on figuring out why some of us are just naturally un-tasty towards bugs! In the meantime, I’ll have to tell the girls here about your repellant recipe!

Heather Eats Almond Butter July 18, 2010 at 2:52 pm

cassandra, Yes, it’s so weird how some people attract mosquitoes and others don’t. Hope the repellent helps your friends.

vanillasugar July 18, 2010 at 2:43 pm

oh why can’t we have a restaurant that makes guac right at the table? that would be my dinner–all mine.

wendy @ ABCs and Garden Peas July 18, 2010 at 2:44 pm

That stinky factor is what’s keeping me from introducing broccoli to my 8-month-old son. I’ll admit it–I’m scared.

Just picked about 15 cukes from our garden–I think I’ll be making your salad tonight!

Heather Eats Almond Butter July 18, 2010 at 3:04 pm

Wendy, Enjoy – I am loving cucumbers these days!

Mary @ Bites and Bliss July 18, 2010 at 3:01 pm

We have a Cantina Laredo back home and went for lunch one day before I headed back to school. We all thought the whole gaucamole thing was pretty cool!! Nothing beats fresh quac :)

Heather Eats Almond Butter July 18, 2010 at 3:05 pm

Mary, The guac was definitely the best part of the meal! :)

Katie July 18, 2010 at 3:15 pm

Tableside guac is the only reason I go to Mexican restaurants sometimes. It is just so good.

Glad you liked the pesto, and thanks for the reminder. I need to make some again!

hayleycepeda July 18, 2010 at 3:28 pm

Looks delicious!!! I love home-grown tomatoes…they’re so much tastier than the stuff in the grocery store! Can’t imagine how good that guac made right at the table is…YUM with a BIG O at the end! :)

Sarah R July 18, 2010 at 3:32 pm

That guac looks spectacular! And you really can’t beat a home grown tomato in the summer. I get eaten alive by mosquitoes, but hate wearing repellents because of the things in them. I’m going to have to try yours out!

Pure2raw twins July 18, 2010 at 4:06 pm

OMG Katie’s pesto looks great, must make it!

Love the all natural, easy to make bug repellent!!

jacobc July 18, 2010 at 4:27 pm

Glad yall liked them!
I think CD should do the chocolate milk mile with me next year, ha!

Jill July 18, 2010 at 4:55 pm

Mosquitos…yes, for some reason all the living in East Nashville…I never got a single bite. Joe…was nearly eaten alive over there though! Maybe you and I are just too sweet for their liking.. ha ha.

annecalista July 18, 2010 at 5:46 pm

I’ve never heard of a homemade bug repellant before- I can’t believe how simple that is! I hate cleaning products, so I always buy non-toxic versions, but homemade ones like yours would be even better. Thanks Heather!

Heather Eats Almond Butter July 18, 2010 at 5:55 pm

Annecalista, you’re welcome. :)

missyrayn July 18, 2010 at 6:01 pm

I’m a mosquito magnet. And I’m allergic to their bite so it swells up huge.

I love home made guac. I’ve been making it quickie style with chunky salsa and avocado for egg wraps lately.

Gabriela @ Fro-Yo Lover July 18, 2010 at 6:52 pm

This lunch looks definetely DIVINE :)

Nicole July 18, 2010 at 7:43 pm

I must try that pesto. And also your bug repellent. Bugs love me (and I eat stinky broccoli too!) I can’t go outside without getting eaten alive. Sucks!

BroccoliHut July 18, 2010 at 8:25 pm

Sorry, I think I am living proof that your broccoli hypothesis is false. I eat plenty of stinky cruciferous veggies, yet the mosquitoes feast on me like it’s Thanksgiving.

kaztronomic July 18, 2010 at 8:34 pm

The best tomato I ever ate was given to me by a girl who grew it in her own garden. Store-bought just doesn’t compare!

I’ve heard that mosquitoes are more attracted to people who eat a lot of potassium. I made a mistake of accidentally testing this hypothesis after going outside at dusk while slurping down a banana smoothie. They *really* loved me that night. xD

Heather Eats Almond Butter July 19, 2010 at 6:59 am

Kaztronomic, Never heard the potassium theory. Interesting – thx!

Averie (LoveVeggiesAndYoga) July 19, 2010 at 12:46 am

I love Katie and the past 6 mos or so we have gotten to be great friends and she makes the best recipes! Love that girl!!! And you too of course, Heather :)

And bug bites..I dont attract tons of mosquitos. I think it’s a blood type thing. I dunno. I am A+ (didnt know that til I was pregnant) so who knows if that has anything to do with the price of mosquitos in china. haha!

Ok so also cinnamon on the baseboards and the floor is a natural ant repellant in case you wanted that useless piece of trivia, too!

Heather Eats Almond Butter July 19, 2010 at 7:01 am

Averie, Hmm, interesting. I’m A+ too, and I don’t attract them either. And yes, I’ve heard the cinnamon thing. Smells much better than Raid! ;)

Michele July 19, 2010 at 10:28 am

Man, the guac looks so good. I think I’m going to have to make some real soon!

Heather Eats Almond Butter July 19, 2010 at 12:01 pm

Michele, It was. :)

Rachael July 19, 2010 at 4:31 pm

Ginger in pesto definitely has me thinking – I love to try out regional or multicultural pestos based on what I have on hand; pepitas and cilantro for a southwestern spin, peanuts, basil and coconut for an african noodle concoction that I’m craving as I write about it- asian pesto might be next on the list…
I love that you made an all natural bug repellent. Other tips for dogs and humans – feed ‘em garlic (or take garlic pills), a shot of apple cider vinegar (mixed in with dog food) and, for humans, cayenne pepper in any form. All three helped me avoid looking like a smallpox victim in the tropics.

Heather Eats Almond Butter July 19, 2010 at 4:34 pm

Rachael, Oh my gosh, loving the idea of peanuts and coconut in pesto…although your Southwestern version sounds delicious as well. I definitely need to experiment more!

Thanks for the other bug repellent ideas. I’ve got some apple cider vinegar just waiting for the pups’ breakfast tomorrow. :)

J@WholeBodyLove July 19, 2010 at 7:29 pm

Thanks for the bug repelent recipe! I hate spraying chemicals on my daughter…in fact we usually stay in after dusk so I don’t have to. Now we can catch lightening bugs! :)

Heather Eats Almond Butter July 20, 2010 at 9:51 am

J, Oh good – it would be a shame for you daughter to miss out on the lightning bugs. That was always one of my favorite things about summer. Another reader also recommended eating lots of garlic and taking a TBSP of apple cider vinegar. Guess the mosquitoes don’t like either. :)