Pesto Piggy

by HEAB on July 20, 2010

Katie, I’m obsessed with your raw vegan pesto sauce…but I keep unrawing and deveganizing it. ;)

I first made Katie’s pesto sauce on Sunday, and I’m already on my second batch. The past 2 nights for dinner, I’ve made pesto goat cheese burgers.

To make, I combined 1 lb. grass fed finished beef with 2 heaping TBSP pesto and about 2 ounces crumbled goat cheese. I then formed 4 burgers and grilled them on the George Foreman for 7 minutes. So much flavor, and I love melted cheese in my burgers rather than on top!

This morning after a 45-minute walk with the pups, I once again had pesto on the brain and made a pesto goat cheese omelet with a side of homegrown local tomatoes (thanks again JacobC!).

I love this pesto because it doesn’t contain any cheese, and it’s not oily. Thanks again for sharing the recipe Katie!

What is your favorite way to eat pesto? I love using it as pizza sauce. :)

If you get a chance, please check out my guest post over at Bikini Birthday. It was not an easy post for me to write, and I’m sure many of you can relate to my bathing suit anxiety.

Samantha Angela @ Bikini Birthday July 20, 2010 at 9:50 am

Thanks again for sharing your story Heather!

Heather Eats Almond Butter July 20, 2010 at 9:53 am

Samantha, You’re welcome – thanks for asking me. :)

Chocolate-Covered Katie July 20, 2010 at 9:50 am

Katies have such good ideas, don’t we?

Almost as good as Heathers ;)

Heather Eats Almond Butter July 20, 2010 at 9:53 am

CCK, Yes, I love all my Katies! :)

Jessica @ How Sweet July 20, 2010 at 9:51 am

I like it on pizza, but my absolute favorite is just on pasta. I love arugula pesto!

VeggieGirl July 20, 2010 at 9:51 am

Yes! Looove pesto as a pizza sauce as well.

fitnessandsunshine July 20, 2010 at 10:03 am

I love pesto as well, especially as pizza sauce! I also love it on bruschetta.

What a great bikini story–stay confident! You’re an inspiration <3

dorrybird July 20, 2010 at 10:07 am

I love a basil pesto pasta. Heading to read your guest post now…:)

Heather July 20, 2010 at 10:08 am

oh no, pesto with no cheese?!?!?! it still sounds amazing though :)

Jenna July 20, 2010 at 10:15 am

I’ve used pesto as pizza sauce, too. It adds a whole new level of flavors to the zza’. I also love it on toasted baguette.

Veggiesmack July 20, 2010 at 10:19 am

I LOVE using pesto as pizza sauce. So good! Also love it on pasta and as a spread on sandwiches.

julie July 20, 2010 at 10:19 am

AWESOME guest post girl :) just read it!

i need to get on this pesto asap! i’ve been in goat cheese heaven lately and i’m about 110% sure that a pesto goat cheese combo would be to die faw.

Tina July 20, 2010 at 10:40 am

I’m not huge on pesto on pizza but love the other ways you are using it. I love it for sandwiches. It can make the most simple fillings spectacular.

Sarena (The Non-Dairy Queen) July 20, 2010 at 10:44 am

You know, I have never had pesto?! It actually came in style, when I discovered I couldn’t have dairy. This one looks good!

Heather Eats Almond Butter July 20, 2010 at 10:44 am

Serena, Oh my gosh, you must use it the next time you make homemade pizza!

Tracey July 20, 2010 at 10:53 am

Actually made a new recipe last night using pesto- steam “stir fried” pesto with zucchini, summer squash and roasted red peppers over homemade polenta (my polenta was questionable, but the veggies were great). :) also like it zucchini pasta. cant wait to try it in with eggs.

Averie (LoveVeggiesAndYoga) July 20, 2010 at 10:54 am

Katie, as I said the other day when you wrote about her recipes, is such an amazing girl and friend! She and I have just clicked and I love that girl sooo much! Her recipes are pretty stellar too :)

And I am sooo glad that you love her recipes, of course, too!

Have a great day, Heather!! :)

xo

Heather Eats Almond Butter July 20, 2010 at 10:57 am

You too A! :)

Rosey Rebecca July 20, 2010 at 10:57 am

Just read your guest post and commented! Amazing! I, too, am having a guest post published on a blog this week that was no easy for me to share. Thanks so much for being brave!

Heather Eats Almond Butter July 20, 2010 at 10:59 am

Rosey Becca, Yes, I just read your comment on my guest post – you’re so sweet. Thanks so much. :) Sometimes writing guest posts are so therapeutic, no?

Leanne July 20, 2010 at 11:05 am

Pesto, basil, cheese and tomato paninis are amazing but I also love spaghetti squash pasta pasta. I just recently tried pesto on grilled chicken and it was yummy but now I’m going to need to attempt a turkey burger.

homecookedem July 20, 2010 at 11:20 am

YAY Eggs!!!!! :) Loved your guest post, well done!! :)

freckledfoodie July 20, 2010 at 11:21 am

heab, i’m SO glad to read your post over at bikini birthday…it’s so true. i’m actually headed to the beach this weekend and was DREADING the whole bathing suit issue. i too, lost some extreme weight after i got my thyroid situation taken care of (to the point where i was unhealthy–i got really carried away with the weight loss deal & couldn’t stop), but now i’ve gained some “healthy weight” back and am freaking out about getting back into a suit…this write up really helped! thanks girl!

Heather Eats Almond Butter July 20, 2010 at 11:55 am

Freckledfoodie, You’re welcome. :)

saltytooth July 20, 2010 at 11:25 am

I’m a big fan of dipping veggies in pesto!

Sarah R July 20, 2010 at 11:36 am

I love to use pesto as the sauce for a pizza, on sandwiches, in pasta… yum!

lindsay July 20, 2010 at 11:39 am

your pesto looks perfect-so bright and summery (is this a word?)with the tomatoes and greens..pine nuts-do you toast or leave raw? cant wait to try!:)

Heather Eats Almond Butter July 20, 2010 at 11:56 am

Lindsay, I left the pine nuts raw, and didn’t bother soaking them either.

Justine July 20, 2010 at 11:55 am

Is there anything that goat cheese doesn’t make better? I’m just saying.

Heather Eats Almond Butter July 20, 2010 at 11:56 am

Justine, No. :)

S July 20, 2010 at 12:05 pm

I like pesto on gnocchi SO much… or tossed with asparagus… or tossed with cucumber… and suddenly I think I want some on eggs. Lunch!

couchpotatoathlete July 20, 2010 at 12:13 pm

I *LOVE* pesto as a pizza sauce — so delicious!

annecalista July 20, 2010 at 12:18 pm

Mm those burgers look awesome and I’m not a big beef-eater. I like pesto on good ol’ spaghetti. I’ve been craving my Mom’s homemade pesto lately :-)

missyrayn July 20, 2010 at 12:43 pm

It is a great pizza sauce base and a wonderful dipping sauce for bread.

mapledreams July 20, 2010 at 1:07 pm

I quite like pesta and pasta! i only tried it really recently but it as so delicious! xx

Katie July 20, 2010 at 1:23 pm

I’ve been loving on some beef burgers lately, thanks to you! I found out I was low in iron, and remembered that you were too, and started eating more beef. So I’m taking a page from the HEAB book, right when you take a page from my book!

Now I need to get some pine nuts to make theat pesto again for the next burger. That sauce just goes down a little too easily. By the way – it freezes really well too. I made a huge batch, and put it in ice cube trays. Delish on and in everything!

Heather Eats Almond Butter July 20, 2010 at 1:41 pm

Katie, CD loves your pesto sauce too – boy ate 3 burgers the other night and was enjoying more of the sauce with his egg mess lunch today. Big fans of Katie here in the HEAB household. Enjoy your beef! :)

wendy @ ABCs and Garden Peas July 20, 2010 at 1:33 pm

I love to brush pesto on the inside of a sandwich, and then grilling it. It’s especially good when made with naan bread or a sliced ciabatta!

spoonfulofsugarfree July 20, 2010 at 1:59 pm

I love pesto! I once had it at a health restaurant where they made it with basil, walnuts, olive oil, and nutritional yeast-very good! I like mixing pesto with hummus for a dip for crackers, or spreading it on my turkey wraps and grilling them!

Little Bookworm July 20, 2010 at 2:16 pm

Amazing guest post Heather! I love pesto as well as a pizza sauce. :) I also like using it in pasta with vegetables, and in a sandwich with roasted vegetables, it tastes great! Hope you have a great day!

Mary @ Bites and Bliss July 20, 2010 at 2:24 pm

I love using pesto on grilled smoked salmon paninis!! Mmmmm :)

Kristin (Cook, Bake and Nibble) July 20, 2010 at 2:39 pm

Those burgers look awesome, yum!

I love pesto on pizza, but nothing beats pesto pasta :D

xo
Kris

Rebecca @ How the Cookies Crumble July 20, 2010 at 2:45 pm

I love pesto too! It just adds such amazing flavor to everything!!

glutenfreemuse July 20, 2010 at 2:48 pm

Yummy!! I love goat cheese and I LOVE pesto!! I make GF Pesto Pizzas with grilled chicken, tons of veggies, and goat cheese. Fantastic!

~ALyssa

Erica @ ericaunmasked.blogspot.com July 20, 2010 at 3:04 pm

first – awesome post. You go girl. Second – why does all of your food look so fantastic. You know – I am droooling over your burgers. And I heart that goat cheese. xoxoxo

kelsey@snackingsquirrel.com July 20, 2010 at 3:30 pm

commented on ur guest post which i LOVED!!

haha some people are just known for their obsessions.. Katie for her Pesto, you for your almon butter, me for my muffins, ahh life is great lol <3

Rowie July 20, 2010 at 3:53 pm

My favorite way to have pesto, other than as pizza sauce, is on a new potato & grape tomato saute with some fresh basil leaves tossed in and a little bit of parmesan cheese. SO good!

Heather Eats Almond Butter July 20, 2010 at 4:47 pm

Rowie, Yes, that sounds delicious!

Liz @ Tip Top Shape July 20, 2010 at 3:54 pm

Mmm, that pesto goat-cheese omelette sounds AMAZING!!!!

Monique@She's Going The Distance July 20, 2010 at 4:01 pm

ooohhh good idea!! I need to use up my almond pesto :)

caronae July 20, 2010 at 4:02 pm

Oh dear God. Pesto, goat cheese, and a giant grass-fed burger sound so good right now. My iron is a bit low at the moment and I have been craving red meat like it’s my job. Must go to the farmer’s market tomorrow and get, like, a few pounds. I can’t wait.

I love plain basil, but I also like pesto. It makes a good sammy spread (in place of mayor or mustard).

kaztronomic July 20, 2010 at 6:21 pm

Delicious, crusty bread dipped in pesto sounds like my idea of bliss. :D

I’m headed on over to read your guest post now! =)

Michele July 20, 2010 at 6:40 pm

I like tradition with my pesto, which means pasta. However, I also love a little pesto in a wrap… cream cheese, pesto, tomatoes.

Pure2raw twins July 20, 2010 at 7:06 pm

I like pesto on pizza and veggies, of course ; ) Everything looks great.

BroccoliHut July 20, 2010 at 7:48 pm

I’m a big fan of pesto hummus…but I guess that’s not too surprising.

Sagan July 21, 2010 at 6:25 am

Mmmm omelets.

livingfreeforever July 21, 2010 at 6:53 am

I haven’t had pesto in ages! Guess I need to remedy that ;) I used to eat pesto and veggie sandwiches all the time.

Loved your guest post!

Kiersten July 21, 2010 at 7:18 am

I love the honesty in your bikini confidence post. Until recently, I have never had any confidence in a bathing suit either. Even as a child I was embarassed to be in a bathing suit in front of other people. I always thought I looked “fat.” Even when I was at my skinniest, due to an eating disorder, I was still very self-conscious. For the past 3-4 years I have avoided wearing a bathing suit at all costs. Over the past year I have done a lot of work to overcome my body image issues and I finally started wearing a bathing suit again. It’s not the super skimpy things that lots of girls wear. It’s a tankini with bottoms that look like shorts. It’s modest, but even that is a big deal for me. I actually feel good in it now and not so self-conscious. Just like you, I don’t want to have a daughter someday and teach her to grow up hating her body just like I did.

Heather Eats Almond Butter July 21, 2010 at 8:31 am

Kiersten, Thanks for your comment, and I bet you look great in your tankini – I love those bathing suits. Hope to buy one of my own soon. :)

kaysie July 22, 2010 at 6:08 pm

Hi Heab! Kind of like Kiersten I wear long fitted boardshorts and a tankini. Its more of an issue with modesty for me. Before I was married I wore bikinis but my husband shared how it is often a temptation for men to see women half-nekkie and he doesn’t want other men to see me half-nekkie lol. But there are some really cute longer boardshorts ( a little above the knee) I have hurley brand I bought online and then I got the top at target. Then I don’t have to feel like I’m sucking in all the time either!

Heather Eats Almond Butter July 22, 2010 at 6:13 pm

Kaysie, Thanks for the tip. Never heard of the Hurley brand, but I’ll look into it. :)