Skip to content

Pesto Piggy

July 20, 2010

Katie, I’m obsessed with your raw vegan pesto sauce…but I keep unrawing and deveganizing it. ;)

I first made Katie’s pesto sauce on Sunday, and I’m already on my second batch. The past 2 nights for dinner, I’ve made pesto goat cheese burgers.

To make, I combined 1 lb. grass fed finished beef with 2 heaping TBSP pesto and about 2 ounces crumbled goat cheese. I then formed 4 burgers and grilled them on the George Foreman for 7 minutes. So much flavor, and I love melted cheese in my burgers rather than on top!

This morning after a 45-minute walk with the pups, I once again had pesto on the brain and made a pesto goat cheese omelet with a side of homegrown local tomatoes (thanks again JacobC!).

I love this pesto because it doesn’t contain any cheese, and it’s not oily. Thanks again for sharing the recipe Katie!

What is your favorite way to eat pesto? I love using it as pizza sauce. :)

If you get a chance, please check out my guest post over at Bikini Birthday. It was not an easy post for me to write, and I’m sure many of you can relate to my bathing suit anxiety.

61 Comments leave one →
  1. July 20, 2010 9:50 am

Thanks again for sharing your story Heather!

2. July 20, 2010 9:50 am

Katies have such good ideas, don’t we?

Almost as good as Heathers ;)

3. July 20, 2010 9:51 am

I like it on pizza, but my absolute favorite is just on pasta. I love arugula pesto!

4. July 20, 2010 9:51 am

Yes! Looove pesto as a pizza sauce as well.

5. July 20, 2010 9:53 am

Samantha, You’re welcome – thanks for asking me. :)

6. July 20, 2010 9:53 am

CCK, Yes, I love all my Katies! :)

7. fitnessandsunshine permalink
    July 20, 2010 10:03 am

I love pesto as well, especially as pizza sauce! I also love it on bruschetta.

What a great bikini story–stay confident! You’re an inspiration <3

8. July 20, 2010 10:07 am

I love a basil pesto pasta. Heading to read your guest post now…:)

9. July 20, 2010 10:08 am

oh no, pesto with no cheese?!?!?! it still sounds amazing though :)

10. July 20, 2010 10:15 am

I’ve used pesto as pizza sauce, too. It adds a whole new level of flavors to the zza’. I also love it on toasted baguette.

11. July 20, 2010 10:19 am

I LOVE using pesto as pizza sauce. So good! Also love it on pasta and as a spread on sandwiches.

12. July 20, 2010 10:19 am

AWESOME guest post girl :) just read it!

i need to get on this pesto asap! i’ve been in goat cheese heaven lately and i’m about 110% sure that a pesto goat cheese combo would be to die faw.

13. July 20, 2010 10:40 am

I’m not huge on pesto on pizza but love the other ways you are using it. I love it for sandwiches. It can make the most simple fillings spectacular.

14. July 20, 2010 10:44 am

You know, I have never had pesto?! It actually came in style, when I discovered I couldn’t have dairy. This one looks good!

15. July 20, 2010 10:44 am

Serena, Oh my gosh, you must use it the next time you make homemade pizza!

16. Tracey permalink
    July 20, 2010 10:53 am

Actually made a new recipe last night using pesto- steam “stir fried” pesto with zucchini, summer squash and roasted red peppers over homemade polenta (my polenta was questionable, but the veggies were great). :) also like it zucchini pasta. cant wait to try it in with eggs.

17. July 20, 2010 10:54 am

Katie, as I said the other day when you wrote about her recipes, is such an amazing girl and friend! She and I have just clicked and I love that girl sooo much! Her recipes are pretty stellar too :)

And I am sooo glad that you love her recipes, of course, too!

Have a great day, Heather!! :)

18. July 20, 2010 10:57 am

Just read your guest post and commented! Amazing! I, too, am having a guest post published on a blog this week that was no easy for me to share. Thanks so much for being brave!

19. July 20, 2010 10:57 am

You too A! :)

20. July 20, 2010 10:59 am

Rosey Becca, Yes, I just read your comment on my guest post – you’re so sweet. Thanks so much. :) Sometimes writing guest posts are so therapeutic, no?

21. July 20, 2010 11:05 am

Pesto, basil, cheese and tomato paninis are amazing but I also love spaghetti squash pasta pasta. I just recently tried pesto on grilled chicken and it was yummy but now I’m going to need to attempt a turkey burger.

22. July 20, 2010 11:20 am

YAY Eggs!!!!! :) Loved your guest post, well done!! :)

23. July 20, 2010 11:21 am

heab, i’m SO glad to read your post over at bikini birthday…it’s so true. i’m actually headed to the beach this weekend and was DREADING the whole bathing suit issue. i too, lost some extreme weight after i got my thyroid situation taken care of (to the point where i was unhealthy–i got really carried away with the weight loss deal & couldn’t stop), but now i’ve gained some “healthy weight” back and am freaking out about getting back into a suit…this write up really helped! thanks girl!

24. July 20, 2010 11:25 am

I’m a big fan of dipping veggies in pesto!

25. Sarah R permalink
    July 20, 2010 11:36 am

I love to use pesto as the sauce for a pizza, on sandwiches, in pasta… yum!

26. lindsay permalink
    July 20, 2010 11:39 am

your pesto looks perfect-so bright and summery (is this a word?)with the tomatoes and greens..pine nuts-do you toast or leave raw? cant wait to try!:)

27. July 20, 2010 11:55 am

Freckledfoodie, You’re welcome. :)

28. July 20, 2010 11:55 am

Is there anything that goat cheese doesn’t make better? I’m just saying.

29. July 20, 2010 11:56 am

Lindsay, I left the pine nuts raw, and didn’t bother soaking them either.

30. July 20, 2010 11:56 am

Justine, No. :)

31. July 20, 2010 12:05 pm

I like pesto on gnocchi SO much… or tossed with asparagus… or tossed with cucumber… and suddenly I think I want some on eggs. Lunch!

32. July 20, 2010 12:13 pm

I *LOVE* pesto as a pizza sauce — so delicious!

33. annecalista permalink
    July 20, 2010 12:18 pm

Mm those burgers look awesome and I’m not a big beef-eater. I like pesto on good ol’ spaghetti. I’ve been craving my Mom’s homemade pesto lately :-)

34. July 20, 2010 12:43 pm

It is a great pizza sauce base and a wonderful dipping sauce for bread.

35. July 20, 2010 1:07 pm

I quite like pesta and pasta! i only tried it really recently but it as so delicious! xx

36. July 20, 2010 1:23 pm

I’ve been loving on some beef burgers lately, thanks to you! I found out I was low in iron, and remembered that you were too, and started eating more beef. So I’m taking a page from the HEAB book, right when you take a page from my book!

Now I need to get some pine nuts to make theat pesto again for the next burger. That sauce just goes down a little too easily. By the way – it freezes really well too. I made a huge batch, and put it in ice cube trays. Delish on and in everything!

37. July 20, 2010 1:33 pm

I love to brush pesto on the inside of a sandwich, and then grilling it. It’s especially good when made with naan bread or a sliced ciabatta!

38. July 20, 2010 1:41 pm

Katie, CD loves your pesto sauce too – boy ate 3 burgers the other night and was enjoying more of the sauce with his egg mess lunch today. Big fans of Katie here in the HEAB household. Enjoy your beef! :)

39. spoonfulofsugarfree permalink
    July 20, 2010 1:59 pm

I love pesto! I once had it at a health restaurant where they made it with basil, walnuts, olive oil, and nutritional yeast-very good! I like mixing pesto with hummus for a dip for crackers, or spreading it on my turkey wraps and grilling them!

40. Little Bookworm permalink
    July 20, 2010 2:16 pm

Amazing guest post Heather! I love pesto as well as a pizza sauce. :) I also like using it in pasta with vegetables, and in a sandwich with roasted vegetables, it tastes great! Hope you have a great day!

41. July 20, 2010 2:24 pm

I love using pesto on grilled smoked salmon paninis!! Mmmmm :)

42. July 20, 2010 2:39 pm

Those burgers look awesome, yum!

I love pesto on pizza, but nothing beats pesto pasta :D

43. July 20, 2010 2:45 pm

I love pesto too! It just adds such amazing flavor to everything!!

44. July 20, 2010 2:48 pm

Yummy!! I love goat cheese and I LOVE pesto!! I make GF Pesto Pizzas with grilled chicken, tons of veggies, and goat cheese. Fantastic!

45. July 20, 2010 3:04 pm

first – awesome post. You go girl. Second – why does all of your food look so fantastic. You know – I am droooling over your burgers. And I heart that goat cheese. xoxoxo

46. July 20, 2010 3:30 pm

commented on ur guest post which i LOVED!!

haha some people are just known for their obsessions.. Katie for her Pesto, you for your almon butter, me for my muffins, ahh life is great lol <3

47. July 20, 2010 3:53 pm

My favorite way to have pesto, other than as pizza sauce, is on a new potato & grape tomato saute with some fresh basil leaves tossed in and a little bit of parmesan cheese. SO good!

48. July 20, 2010 3:54 pm

Mmm, that pesto goat-cheese omelette sounds AMAZING!!!!

49. July 20, 2010 4:01 pm

ooohhh good idea!! I need to use up my almond pesto :)

50. July 20, 2010 4:02 pm

Oh dear God. Pesto, goat cheese, and a giant grass-fed burger sound so good right now. My iron is a bit low at the moment and I have been craving red meat like it’s my job. Must go to the farmer’s market tomorrow and get, like, a few pounds. I can’t wait.

I love plain basil, but I also like pesto. It makes a good sammy spread (in place of mayor or mustard).

51. July 20, 2010 4:47 pm

Rowie, Yes, that sounds delicious!

52. July 20, 2010 6:21 pm

Delicious, crusty bread dipped in pesto sounds like my idea of bliss. :D

I’m headed on over to read your guest post now! =)

53. July 20, 2010 6:40 pm

I like tradition with my pesto, which means pasta. However, I also love a little pesto in a wrap… cream cheese, pesto, tomatoes.

54. July 20, 2010 7:06 pm

I like pesto on pizza and veggies, of course ; ) Everything looks great.

55. July 20, 2010 7:48 pm

I’m a big fan of pesto hummus…but I guess that’s not too surprising.

56. July 21, 2010 6:25 am

Mmmm omelets.

57. July 21, 2010 6:53 am

I haven’t had pesto in ages! Guess I need to remedy that ;) I used to eat pesto and veggie sandwiches all the time.

Loved your guest post!

58. Kiersten permalink
    July 21, 2010 7:18 am

I love the honesty in your bikini confidence post. Until recently, I have never had any confidence in a bathing suit either. Even as a child I was embarassed to be in a bathing suit in front of other people. I always thought I looked “fat.” Even when I was at my skinniest, due to an eating disorder, I was still very self-conscious. For the past 3-4 years I have avoided wearing a bathing suit at all costs. Over the past year I have done a lot of work to overcome my body image issues and I finally started wearing a bathing suit again. It’s not the super skimpy things that lots of girls wear. It’s a tankini with bottoms that look like shorts. It’s modest, but even that is a big deal for me. I actually feel good in it now and not so self-conscious. Just like you, I don’t want to have a daughter someday and teach her to grow up hating her body just like I did.

59. July 21, 2010 8:31 am

Kiersten, Thanks for your comment, and I bet you look great in your tankini – I love those bathing suits. Hope to buy one of my own soon. :)

60. kaysie permalink
    July 22, 2010 6:08 pm

Hi Heab! Kind of like Kiersten I wear long fitted boardshorts and a tankini. Its more of an issue with modesty for me. Before I was married I wore bikinis but my husband shared how it is often a temptation for men to see women half-nekkie and he doesn’t want other men to see me half-nekkie lol. But there are some really cute longer boardshorts ( a little above the knee) I have hurley brand I bought online and then I got the top at target. Then I don’t have to feel like I’m sucking in all the time either!

61. July 22, 2010 6:13 pm

Kaysie, Thanks for the tip. Never heard of the Hurley brand, but I’ll look into it. :)