Peaches, Pizza, And Pesto

by HEAB on July 23, 2010

I woke up super early this morning as my mom is picking me up at 7 AM for our weekend road trip. We have an 8-hour drive ahead of us, and I wanted to get the dogs walked before leaving. Breakfast was an old favorite. Rolled oats + vanilla protein powder + peaches will always hold a special place in my heart and you can read why here.

I love peach season!

Before I leave, I wanted to share last night’s dinner with you. Between walking my morning and afternoon errands + walking the dogs, I ended up covering a total of 6.5 miles yesterday. That’s a lot for me these days, especially in this heat. So I decided I needed pizza for dinner. :)

World’s easiest gluten free pizza crust.

My mom is experimenting with a gluten free diet, hence all my gluten free meals as of late. For my pizzas, I simply warmed two corn tortillas in a skillet on the stovetop and topped them with tomato paste, spinach, and crumbled goat cheese. I then placed the pizzas on a baking sheet under the broiler until nice and toasty. After removing them from the oven, I added a few drizzles of Katie’s pesto sauce. These took hardly any time to prepare and totally satisfied my pizza craving.

Katie, CD is loving on your pesto too…we ate a total of 3 batches this week! Here was his lunch yesterday…

A scrambled egg mess with sauteed mushrooms, sun dried tomatoes, and pesto.

OK, time for me to go. Not sure what my eats will include this weekend. I used to stress out about food whenever I traveled, but now I just try to go with the flow. However, I did pack some rolled oats and plenty of Justin’s nut butter just in case. I’m also hoping to get in a little yoga while away. There will be no yoga studios where we’re headed, but I have plenty of YogaDownload classes on my laptop.

Do you stop for food while traveling? I’m not a fan of fast food and usually pack a cooler for the car….however the HEABlet has been begging for some Arby’s lately. ;)

Jessica @ How Sweet July 23, 2010 at 5:49 am

We never stop anymore, unless it’s for something from Starbucks. :) We always take a cooler full of snacks that are much better than we’d find on the road.

Sarena (The Non-Dairy Queen) July 23, 2010 at 5:51 am

I enjoyed my first summer peach last night and it was so good! I think we are heading to TN for a day at Tony’s parents place…hopefully the weather will be perfect for some lake time! Enjoy your weekend and have a safe trip.

Heather Eats Almond Butter July 23, 2010 at 7:23 pm

Sarena, Enjoy your weekend as well! :)

homecookedem July 23, 2010 at 5:56 am

I am so OBSESSED with our Georgia peaches right now!! They are like candy, only better!! :)

Heather Eats Almond Butter July 23, 2010 at 7:45 pm

Em, Yes, we have a local fruit stand that stocks your peaches. I’ve been buying mine at TJ’s, but I need to stop by that stand. People line up in the morning waiting for the peach truck to arrive!

VeggieGirl July 23, 2010 at 6:00 am

My car is always equipped with a biiiiig cooler :-D

fitnessandsunshine July 23, 2010 at 6:02 am

I don’t like stopping for fast food and would like to pack my own stuff, too. If a tasty place like Panera comes on the way though, no problem with eating there ;)

Oats with peaches are great, I love that combo as well!

Scott in Ohio July 23, 2010 at 6:08 am

The food we pack for trips seems to take more room than our clothes these days!

Please let me know how your mom is doing on the GF diet. Now that we’ve adjusted (and have a Vita…hehe), C and I are doing pretty well.

Safe travels to you, mom, and HEABlet!!

Heather Eats Almond Butter July 23, 2010 at 7:44 pm

Scott, My mom feels better when she avoids gluten, but she hasn’t quite gotten the hand of what is gluten free and what is not. We’re working on it. So glad your Vita arrived!! you guys must send any good recipes you make with it!

Lindsay July 23, 2010 at 6:10 am

Whenever I drive with my dad, he LOVES stopping at fast food places whereas I honestly can’t stand them. To combat this on our next road trip (which will be next week!), I’m going to pack a cooler full of healthy snacks + sandwich makings. Nut butter will also accompany us on the journey.

Heather (Perspective Is Everything) July 23, 2010 at 6:11 am

That pizza looks DIVINE and so easy :) Right up my alley-minus the goat cheese ;)
It’s a MUST that I pack my own snacks when travelling. With all my (5) food intolerances, there’s no getting around it.
Lots of fruit, veggies, Larabars, and pre-made beans and rice :)

Anna July 23, 2010 at 6:14 am

Three of my favorite P’s! :-)

Safe travels!! And hey, if the HEABlet is begging for Arby’s, give the girl what she wants :-)

Samantha Angela @ Bikini Birthday July 23, 2010 at 6:14 am

I wonder if that pupusa dough would make for an interesting GF calzone

Heather Eats Almond Butter July 23, 2010 at 7:42 pm

Samantha, Yes, I think it would. :)

Tina July 23, 2010 at 6:30 am

I normally pack meals too, but when I’m pregnant I need a warm, filling MEAL so when I traveled earlier this summer we stopped. I tried to stop at places like Panera where I could get soup or salad with a sandwich or something. Although Arby’s sounds like a good bet too. There was a Chick Fil A stop on my trip.

sweetersalt July 23, 2010 at 6:31 am

Have to admit, I have indulged in an Arby’s ham and cheese on a bus trip once or twice before!

couchpotatoathlete July 23, 2010 at 6:34 am

I always pack a cooler of food for the car — lots of veggies, fruit, clif bars, nuts, water (!).

But if we pass a Hardee’s or a Cracker Barrel (which are both scarce in MN) we stop there, no matter what!

Deb (Smoothie Girl Eats Too) July 23, 2010 at 6:36 am

Hi Heabie! Missed you! I NEVER have pizza, but ironically had a TV dinner low cal pizza last night- must admit it was yummy! :-)

We are big food schleppers (um, did I say ‘we’? perhaps it’s me… whatever). We often have what I call the Trailer Picnic- aka eating a packed lunch in the car if we don’t have time to stop or can’t find a picnic locale. You KNOW my obsession with coolers. It still exists. When we were in iceland, I didn’t think to bring one (hello, it was a ROAD TRIP, DUR!!) so we bought one and it was sooooo awesome- a backpack with a separate bottom compartment that was insulated. Best cooler I’ve ever owned= esp for a road trip. Perishables in one compartment and nonperishables in the other.

I’m excited for your trip! I’ll slowly go back in time on your blog and see what you’ve been up to! :-) Missed you!
D

Heather Eats Almond Butter July 23, 2010 at 7:42 pm

Deb, missed you too. Can’t wait to hear about your trip! Internet here is a little sketchy, and so we need to catch up next week when I get back home!

Christina July 23, 2010 at 6:47 am

I really don’t like fast food. Just blech. I pack a good amount of snacks and usually stop at starbucks for a latte and a fruit cup :)

I like to go with the flow when traveling. At restaurants I order what I really want ( which is usually veggies, lean meat, and a whole grain if they have it + dessert =D ) and eat to satisfaction.

allison July 23, 2010 at 6:53 am

im heading to florida tonight and i have a whole bag of snacks to bring with us! i love to pack in advance so i dont have to worry about starving or splurging on the road

P2B July 23, 2010 at 6:58 am

Mmmmm…..peaches! Have a fun trip :) .

Marilou July 23, 2010 at 7:24 am

I love picnics and always want to find reason to prepare one … so on road trips, it’s my delight to pack a huge cooler with lots of fun food!

I’d rather have a big juicy burger at home, on the grill :)

Danielle (Runs on Green) July 23, 2010 at 7:39 am

When I read your title, I was imagining peaches + pesto on a pizza lol. After thinking about it…it doesn’t sound too bad ;)

Have a safe road trip! I’m the queen of packing. Larabars, nut butter, oats, soy milk…

mayapamela July 23, 2010 at 8:13 am

I know what you mean about stressing on food available during a trip, but still, as a vegetarian I need to pack a few back up options. Never hurts! As long as you don’t get too crazy about it. I’m sure I have the same list as most bloggers, but peanut butter and protein powder always make it into my suitcase.

DiningAndDishing July 23, 2010 at 8:16 am

I know I should pack food, but I always stop when travelling! I think it helps break up the journey. Luckily healthier options have been popping up at most rest stops so it’s not too hard to find something decent on the road.

- Beth @ http://www.DiningAndDishing.com

Meredith July 23, 2010 at 8:35 am

That scrambled egg mess looks like a dream come true. Hellloooo lunch!

glutenfreemuse July 23, 2010 at 8:47 am

Have a great roadtrip!! Arby’s curly fries are the best :-) HEABlet has great taste :-)

~Alyssa

Rayna Mazer July 23, 2010 at 9:21 am

have a great weekend ! Silly goose lunch was yummy :) I always pack my own snacks
for trips but on occasion you can find a healthy place when traveling! No fast food for me
unless maybe its subway .

Heather Eats Almond Butter July 23, 2010 at 7:39 pm

Rayna, Yes, I loved the Silly Goose. We must go back in September. We ended up stopping at McCallister’s Deli today, and I went for a salad…and then followed it up with an ice-cream cone from Sonic. ;) Have a good weekend!

rachel July 23, 2010 at 9:33 am

hey heather, sorry if you have answered this before. how do you cook your oatmeal with protein powder? it looks great! just water or almond milk?

Heather Eats Almond Butter July 23, 2010 at 7:38 pm

Rachel, I cooked my rolled oats/oat bran with just water and then stir in the protein powder after I remove the pot from the heat and usually let it sit for a few minutes to thicken before eating.

Jessica @ Rawtumn July 23, 2010 at 9:48 am

Awesome eats! That pizza looks fantastic. We usually bring a cooler filled with food as well, unless it’s a reallyyy long day of traveling and then we’ll stop at a regular restaurant for a sit-down meal when we’re about an hour or two out from our destination.

Katie July 23, 2010 at 9:52 am

When I travel, I usually need an extra bag for my food, especially when I am flying.

That photo of CD’s egg mess just made my stomach grumble. 3 batches in one week is impressive!!

dorrybird July 23, 2010 at 9:52 am

Great pizza crust idea – my fiance makes corn tortillas from scratch (I know, who is this guy?) so we’ll have to try that soon. Happy Friday HEAB!

Vacavile Pizza July 23, 2010 at 9:59 am

Well written blog! It seems to be a good resource on Pizza. I found you in google while doing research on my recent post about , here: http://napolipizzavacaville.com/ I think my points are relevant :) In any event, I found your article very helpful and informative.

Emily July 23, 2010 at 10:04 am

I made little tortilla pizzas last night too, although mine was not GF or dairy free. ;) I made a BBQ chicken variety.

I know it’s bad for me, but I love fast food on road trips. I definitely try to keep that to be the only time I eat fast food.

Where in Missouri are you going? I grew up near St. Louis and I was just at Lake of the Ozarks in MO for my own vacation a couple weeks ago.

Enjoy your weekend!

Heather Eats Almond Butter July 23, 2010 at 7:34 pm

Emily, We’re in Ewing, MO – a very small town about 30 minutes from Hannibal. Lake of the Ozarks area is beautiful, and I love St. Louis…or I guess I should say I love Ted Drewes! ;)

lindsay July 23, 2010 at 10:05 am

I like to use the big brown rice tortillas for pizza crust. Super easy as well! And you can’t have a pizza without goat cheese, its a must!
Safe travels! I always pack a cooler filled with fruit, water, nuts, string cheese, etc. If we stop, its usually at starbucks, haha!

operagirlcooks July 23, 2010 at 10:11 am

Hello, Heather! I just read about how conventionally grown peaches have pesticides all the way down to the pit, since they have to be sprayed so much during growing. Organic ones are soo expensive, but it’s worth it! Here’s a great guide for what to buy organic vs. conventional for minimal pesticide exposure: http://www.foodnews.org/walletguide.php

Heather Eats Almond Butter July 23, 2010 at 7:36 pm

Thanks Operagirl – The wallet guide list is very helpful, and I’ve been buying organic peaches from Trader Joe’s. :)

Portia July 23, 2010 at 10:12 am

O Man, eating out on Vacations is the best!! I don’t like fast food restraunts either though. But for me one of the biggest parts of a trip is going to local deli’s/restraunts and bakery’s to get a feel (well and taste) of the place I’m in.

Liz @ Tip Top Shape July 23, 2010 at 10:13 am

Oooh, I used to love Arby’s cheese sticks. They would stain the bag with grease and probably took off five years of my life but they tasted SO. GOOD.

Fit Chick in the City July 23, 2010 at 10:14 am

I always pack snacks!

Also, I love tortilla pizzas!

Justine July 23, 2010 at 10:38 am

I’d rather pack some snacks/meals than stop for anything other than a cup of coffee. Packing up food is one of my favourite parts of a vacation. That and finding any interesting little delis or small markets to stop in, just to see what they have.

Chelsea July 23, 2010 at 11:13 am

We have peaches growing in our back yard, it is such a treat! I hope you have a safe trip!

Heather Eats Almond Butter July 23, 2010 at 7:30 pm

Chelsea, Peached in your backyard?!? I’m totally jealous!

Averie (LoveVeggiesAndYoga) July 23, 2010 at 11:18 am

Road trips and road food…well my goodness that’s what coolers and snack bags are for. Not really a fan (at all!!) of road food of any kind so I pack goodies along. And once Heablet does make her appearance…you will NEVER be able to leave the house without a sippy cup and 17 varieties of snacks, that is once you get past the diaper bag stage :) Oh I am sooo excited for you guys!!! Have a super weekend, Heather, and as I said yesterday, relax and enjoy best you can…and then soon enough you will have a glorious month away, too!!! :)

BroccoliHut July 23, 2010 at 11:33 am

First of all–loving the alliteration in this post.
That pizza looks pretty amazing–kind of thinking it looks good for breakfast right now…
I am a huge fan of packing meals and snacks while traveling (see my recent post on the subject). My family usually can’t agree on fast food places (I want Panera, they want Wendy’s), so I find it easier to just pack my own grub.

wendy @ ABCs and Garden Peas July 23, 2010 at 12:10 pm

I usually bring food in case I can’t find anything on the road that I want to eat, but one of my favorite parts of traveling is discovering fun new places along the way. Unique local eateries are the best!

mapledreams July 23, 2010 at 1:15 pm

Usually pack sandwiches and such like with me if i’m travelling and will have to stop for a meal…my brothers tend to enjoy fast food more though!! YUM…sounds like you deserved that pizza..yum! My cousin can only eat gluten free too….and i’ve tried a couple of versions of (store bought) pizza…..they are usually still veryyyy tasty xx

Mary @ Bites and Bliss July 23, 2010 at 2:24 pm

I always bring a big bag of food on road trips. If it’s with friends/family they’ll stop at fast food joints or whatever but for the most part I cant eat anything on the menu anyway. Have fun!! :)

Megan @ Healthy Hoggin' July 23, 2010 at 2:58 pm

My husband LOVES stopping for food when we travel, so I usually bring my own snacks and will just munch on something light if we stop at a decent restaurant…

So funny that the HEABlet wants Arby’s! Good taste! Ha ha ;)

Mimi July 23, 2010 at 2:59 pm

That’s it–I’m making that damn pesto! You’ve made it look so good!

My family always looks for diners and dives when we’re on the road. I bring along tasty, healthier snacks, and they stock up on candy and chips. We have…different tastes.

Heather Eats Almond Butter July 23, 2010 at 7:29 pm

Mimi, Make the pesto…I’m sad to be away from it all weekend. :(

annecalista July 23, 2010 at 4:46 pm

I pack a LOT of food when I travel. I hate the feeling of eating a lot of salty carbohydrates when that’s the only thing you can find on the road. I’ve kind of lost my taste for eating out, at least very frequently.

Megan (Braise The Roof) July 23, 2010 at 5:11 pm

I usually try to avoid fast food on road trips, especially if I’m the driver- all the sodium and additives usually make me sleepy! I try to pack as much as possible, but I do occasionally stop for something. :) It’s good to make exceptions every once and a while.

Just curious, what brand of corn tortillas do you usually use? I’ve been trying to find one that’s on the healthier side.

Heather Eats Almond Butter July 23, 2010 at 7:28 pm

Megan, I’m not at home right now to look – the corn tortillas I use are just a basic brand from Kroger. However, I know that Ezekiel makes a sprouted corn tortilla that I’d really like to try.

Tanya July 23, 2010 at 5:26 pm

Pizza looks good. I should try making it on corn tortillas…good idea!!

kaztronomic July 23, 2010 at 5:33 pm

I’m gluten free, and I love the idea of using a corn tortilla as a pizza crust! Yum. :D

I prefer packing a snack (or several) for travel, but sometimes I cave into the siren call of fast food. ;)

Rachael July 23, 2010 at 6:27 pm

Ah, road food, the current bane of my traveling existence. I’m a packer, but my partner has a road food rule, namely that he can stop at whatever fast food joint he wants and it would diminish his hippie, local foods street cred :) . We’ve been to many a Burger King and Taco thus far.
The baby-wants-Arby’s bit made me smile – a good friend (and life-long veggie), recently said that she knew she was pregnant when she passed a KFC and almost caused an accident doing a U-turn to hit up the drive-through.

Heather Eats Almond Butter July 23, 2010 at 7:26 pm

Rachael, I know…I can’t get those Beef ‘N Cheddars out of my mind! :)

Meghan (Making Love In The Kitchen) July 23, 2010 at 6:40 pm

I was pretty sure when I read the title that you were going to be enjoying those three things as a single meal :)

Heather Eats Almond Butter July 23, 2010 at 7:24 pm

Meghan, Sounds like something I would do. ;)

Rosey Rebecca July 23, 2010 at 7:50 pm

I just realized that I commented on that peaches post that you linked to in this post! I’ve been reading your blog for almost a year! YAY! Have a great trip!

(thank you for your support on my guest post! <3)

Heather Eats Almond Butter July 23, 2010 at 7:55 pm

Rosey Rebecca, wow we go way back. Thanks for sharing the link to your guest post – I’m really glad you shared your story. :)

kelsey@snackingsquirrel.com July 23, 2010 at 10:00 pm

yea sometimes its difficult NOT to stress out about food when u travel, its cuz ur out of ur comfort zone too.

i love when u make scrambles, especially messy ones that look dynamite <3 i know this would taste AMAZING!

xoxo

Laurie July 23, 2010 at 11:38 pm

I ALWAYS pack small coolers of water, fruit and perishables. Then I pack a box for “dry” items which contains mine & hubby’s “clean” food and snacks for the kids. We usually end up stopping for cup of coffee at a convenience store, but that is the extent of our eating out.

Vanesa July 24, 2010 at 9:13 am

The peach looks nice. A very good picture for your post.

JFlo July 24, 2010 at 10:28 am

I thought about HEAB today! I made gluten-free pancakes with Pamela’s mix, topped with Almond Butter and Agave Nectar. Delish!

Heather Eats Almond Butter July 24, 2010 at 12:21 pm

JFlo, Wish I could have joined you for breakfast. :)

gfe--gluten free easily July 24, 2010 at 3:37 pm

Hope you’re having a wonderful trip, Heather! Yummy on the tortilla pizzas … yep, such an easy way to do gf pizza. :-)

I’m sure you’ve already suggested this to your mom, but tell her to focus on real/whole food (foods you would wash before eating) and eat them as is or make dishes from them. Those are naturally gluten free.

I love it whenever you mention the HEABlet! ;-)

Shirley

Heather Eats Almond Butter July 24, 2010 at 7:49 pm

Thanks for the advice Shirley – that will help my mom, and I’ve directed her to your blog as well. :)

Pure2raw twins July 24, 2010 at 5:23 pm

I love peach season too!! And your pizza’s look great, so easy and delicious.