My Travels With Justin

by HEAB on July 24, 2010

Greetings from the road. My mom comes from a huge family and grew up in a really small town in northeastern Missouri. We’re spending the weekend here visiting aunts, uncles, and cousins. There were 17 kids in my mom’s family, and so there are A LOT of cousins. They’re throwing a baby shower for me tonight, and I can’t wait to see everyone. There is no wi-fi where we’re staying, but I can pick up a weak Internet signal with my brother’s Mi-Fi card (thank you Verizon!). So, I won’t be on the computer too much this weekend. However, I wanted to check in and say “hi”.

Thus far, I’ve sampled 2 of the Justin’s chocolate flavored nut butters: chocolate peanut butter and chocolate hazelnut.

Mashed sweet potato mixed with chocolate peanut butter.

Justin’s chocolate PB was delicious, but honestly, my oven baked sweet potato kind of overpowered the flavor. When I get home, I want to do a side-by-side taste test: Justin’s vs. my beloved Dark Chocolate Dreams. Can’t say I’m not looking forward to that one! ;)

For breakfast this morning, I made myself a bowl of rolled oats cooked in water. I then stirred in half a scoop of Jay Robb’s vanilla rice protein powder and frosted it with a packet of Justin’s chocolate hazelnut butter.

Nothing like some vanilla infused oats topped with a little Nutella to start your day. Thanks Justin - I loved this flavor!

Oh, and just so you know, there was no Arby’s on our road trip yesterday. Instead, we hit up McAlister’s Deli outside of St. Louis, and I ordered a salad with grilled chicken. However, there one fast food stop…

A Sonic soft serve cone. Oh how I love plain vanilla soft serve. Definitely worthy of breaking the no-dairy rule!

I don’t know what it is about being pregnant and craving fast food – Lissa, I know you understand! I’m still dreaming of that roast beef sandwich drenched in Arby’s and Horsey sauce…it will be mine one of these days. :)

OK, off to do some family bonding. I hope all of you are having a great weekend!

couchpotatoathlete July 24, 2010 at 8:01 am

I’m surprised the sweet potato overpowered the pb/chocolate, but then again, sweet potatoes are so delcious and full of flavor, I’m not too surprised!

I love vanilla soft serve — tastes so refreshing and it is worth the stomach pains (I’m dairy-free for the most part)! Have a great trip!

Beth @ Beth's Journey to Thin July 24, 2010 at 8:03 am

Have fun at your baby shower!!!

Jenn (GH) July 24, 2010 at 8:03 am

The oatmeal with the nutella looks super yummy!

I don’t think I’ve had soft serve in 5 or more years!!! Looks good tho. :-)

Have a fun trip.

Little Bookworm July 24, 2010 at 8:03 am

That bowl of oats looks amazing Heather. Yum. Hope you have a fantastic weekend with your family! :D

MarathonVal July 24, 2010 at 8:05 am

Oh my goooodness…… that chocolate hazelnut looks phenomenal beyond belief! I could get used to that kinda breakfast!

Have a wonderful time with your fam! :)

VeggieGirl July 24, 2010 at 8:06 am

Yaaay family bonding! Have a blast :)

Heather July 24, 2010 at 8:10 am

Wow-sounds like great family time! And “Justin” sounds likeb the perfect travelling companion ;)

Jessica @ How Sweet July 24, 2010 at 8:15 am

Have fun at your shower, Heather! :) Hope you have a great weekend!

Lindsay July 24, 2010 at 8:16 am

Those Justin chocolate nut butter flavors look so amazing! And yes, a stop for some Sonic soft serve is always worth it. Calories and nutritional value, be damned. I currently live in Hartford, CT where there are no Sonics to be found….but I shall soon be moving back to Colorado where I can once again bask in the Sonic goodness (on occasion). After seeing that picture of your cone, I think one of my first pit stops back home will be for some Sonic ice cream! Lol. :)

Heather Eats Almond Butter July 24, 2010 at 12:23 pm

Lindsay, I love McDonald’s soft serve too. ;)

fitnessandsunshine July 24, 2010 at 8:22 am

Aww you have a good weekend too. :) I’m glad you liked those Justin’s nut butter packs, I got some yesterday to bring on a trip that’s coming up so I wanted to see a good review!

christina July 24, 2010 at 8:22 am

have you had the soft serve from chickfila? it’s my fave! and sonic was my first job :)

Heather Eats Almond Butter July 24, 2010 at 12:30 pm

Christina, Yep, had a Chick-Fil-A cone last week. LOVE. :)

spoonfulofsugarfree July 24, 2010 at 8:22 am

sweet potato and chocolate peanut butter? Interesting combo! I don’t know if I could do that…..I think I’ll stick to my cinnamon and nutmeg combo :)

Have fun on your vacation!

BethT July 24, 2010 at 8:27 am

I totally understand the fast food craving! I think salt is the reason. I have had two (incognito, somewhat guilt ridden but 100% worth it) trips to McDonalds while pregnant. Worth it.

Lisa July 24, 2010 at 8:40 am

I love horsey sauce! I was somewhere recently where they subbed avocado for the mayo icky part…..it was fabulous (although it was not pretty, but that’s not always so important)!

Heather Eats Almond Butter July 24, 2010 at 12:29 pm

Lisa, I had that same idea! http://heathereatsalmondbutter.com/2010/05/29/guacamole-arbys-style/. It was good, but it would have been even better with a big roast beef sandwich! ;)

dorrybird July 24, 2010 at 8:42 am

Have fun at your shower with all of your fam!

Katie July 24, 2010 at 8:47 am

Have a wonderful trip and a beautiful baby shower!!!!!! I bet you will be all set up with amazing gifts!!!!! Love justins almond butters and peanutbutters, and the squeeze packs are perfect for traveling!

Justine July 24, 2010 at 9:02 am

I see where you were coming from with the sweet potato idea. Those sweet potatoes can be so fickle sometimes! I guess it is just best to let them be their own flavour. I tried mixing a slow roasted sweet potato with overnight oats and as much as I wanted it to work, it just wasn’t quite what I was going for. Like I said: sweet potatoes are fabulous but fickle.

I hope you’re having fun with your family! :)

Heather Eats Almond Butter July 24, 2010 at 12:27 pm

Justine, The are rather fickle, no? Still love them though! :)

meagan July 24, 2010 at 9:07 am

I have been craving fast food as well during this whole pregnancy. I don’t think I had been to McD’s in years before I got pregnant but now…I restrain myself but daydream about it often…

And Arby’s curly fries? Perfection.

rachael July 24, 2010 at 9:16 am

Have a great trip! Can’t wait to hear about your baby shower.

Kelly July 24, 2010 at 9:30 am

Have a fun weekend! Sometimes I crave McDonald’s cones…they are so good! haha!

Liz @ Tip Top Shape July 24, 2010 at 9:40 am

I can’t imagine chocolate pb going with a sweet potato. But I’ll take your word for it :-D I’m with you on Nutella. That stuff is GOOD.

Megan @ The Oatmeal Diaries July 24, 2010 at 9:59 am

Ohhh how I love Justin! I’ve never had the chocolatey ones, but his maple almond butter is my favorite hands down. Enjoy your family time!

Erika July 24, 2010 at 10:02 am

Mmmmm…quick question – I saw your recipe for Vegan Nutella and was wondering how does it compare to regular Nutella (or Justin’s Chocolate Hazelnut?)
I am thinking about making it. :-)

-Erika

Heather Eats Almond Butter July 24, 2010 at 12:26 pm

Erika, The homemade version is delicious – it’s not as rich as Nutella, but it tastes very similar to Justin’s. If you can find the Justin’s, I’d buy it – much easier than roasting and peeling all those hazelnuts!

Taylor July 24, 2010 at 11:06 am

i’ve tried sweet potatoes with peanut butter before and it just never seems to work. i can’t ever get enough pb to really taste it!

Tina July 24, 2010 at 12:08 pm

Have a wonderful weekend! And I know I crave fast food when pregnant. It normally never enters my mind, but is a craving at least once a week when pregnant. Luckily I’m able to find other things to satisfy typically.

eatmovelove July 24, 2010 at 12:13 pm

Sounds fun. Road trips are always full of “stops” and food! Nothing else to do – when your driving alone especially…uh, yeah, can Justin send some of that goodness to Canada? Pretty please? ;)

kaztronomic July 24, 2010 at 12:35 pm

I love roasted sweet potatoes with peanut butter! I definitely recommend non-chocolate peanut butter — maybe something with a bit of maple or honey — though, to bring out the natural sweetness of the ‘tater. :D

Mmm, soft serve cones are probably my favorite!

Have fun at your baby shower! =)

sarah July 24, 2010 at 1:00 pm

OMG I know what you mean about the pregnant fast food cravings… I had them too!

Katie July 24, 2010 at 1:36 pm

I come from a huge family like that too – TONS of cousins, but that makes things like baby showers so much more fun!

Soft serve cones remind me so much of growing up too. YUM!

Jackie (Peaces of Earth) July 24, 2010 at 1:51 pm

Have so much fun tonight!! What a huge family, should be so exciting!

Justin’s sounds amazinggg. I must pick up some packets. I def want that chocolate hazlenut!!

mapledreams July 24, 2010 at 2:06 pm

Love baby showers!! always such a good atmosphere! xx

Lauren @ WWoB July 24, 2010 at 2:13 pm

i live for vanilla soft serve.

Kiersten July 24, 2010 at 2:17 pm

Enjoy your baby shower!

Kristin (Cook, Bake and Nibble) July 24, 2010 at 2:36 pm

I try to pack as much as I can, but often times we HAVE to stop- can’t bring meat, dairy or produce over the border! Stinks, but it’s an excuse to eat Wendy’s chicken nuggets three times a year. Sure, they go against all of my healthy eating beliefs but they are just so. darn. good. Everything in moderation, right? ;)

Have a fun trip!

xo
Kris

Heather Eats Almond Butter July 24, 2010 at 7:43 pm

Kris, yes, right. :)

Jocelyn July 24, 2010 at 3:48 pm

mmm I love any sort of vanilla soft serve! That cone looks out of this world :D

Averie (LoveVeggiesAndYoga) July 24, 2010 at 3:53 pm

I hope you savor every last second of family bonding :) Seriously, I know it can get a little overwhelming at times to have SO MANY people wanting to know every last detail about your health, the pregnancy, your thoughts on names, the birth, you name it, you feel a bit like an information booth (well, I do in those situations) so I hope you are able to handle it all in stride…and I course, I hope you get some good loot for your shower :)

xo

Heather Eats Almond Butter July 24, 2010 at 7:43 pm

Averie, Loot was good. :)

annecalista July 24, 2010 at 5:41 pm

17 kids??!!! wow.

Rosey Rebecca July 24, 2010 at 5:42 pm

Oh! Happy Baby Shower! Hope it’s great! Your vanilla ice cream cone just made me want one of my own– and I’m not pregnant!

Ashley July 24, 2010 at 6:10 pm

I was under the impression that soft serve (and soft cheeses) are to be avoided when pregnant? My boss at work is expecting.. I’ve been picking all this up from her!

Heather Eats Almond Butter July 24, 2010 at 7:42 pm

Ashley, Soft cheeses are fine as long as they’re pasteurized, and I’ve never heard anything about avoiding soft serve…and I’ve eaten a lot of it. Craving dairy like crazy!

gfe--gluten free easily July 24, 2010 at 6:22 pm

Yum on all! So glad you’re having a great trip. Can’t wait to hear the baby shower report, dear!

Hugsss,
Shirley

Kimberly July 24, 2010 at 7:08 pm

Tommy and are on vacation and we ate at McAllister’s yesterday. I LOVE their salads!! Hope you are enjoying you trip and baby shower :)

Oh, I got to eat at Whole Foods today!! I have only gotten to eat there last year when we were in Nashville and today–wish SO bad that we had a Whole Foods. Mine weighed in more than Tommy’s-lol!

Heather Eats Almond Butter July 24, 2010 at 7:40 pm

Kimberly, Haha – loved that your Whole Foods weighed more. Enjoy your vacation!!!

jacobc July 24, 2010 at 7:48 pm

hmmmm, sweet potatoes are good, and chocolate PB is good.. but together?
Oh thats right, you are pregnant ;-p

Wendys frosty rules!
I picked up a friend from the airport today and told her my imaginary taxi cab meter was reading one frosty, ftw!

Heather Eats Almond Butter July 24, 2010 at 7:54 pm

JacobC, Pregnant or not, yes it’s good! ;)

Carolyn July 24, 2010 at 7:50 pm

Oh my gosh i hope you get a huge haul of Heablet supplies.. Love the oats, nut buttah! Addicted still to the overnight low sugar cinnamon apple oatmeal packs with some pb flour, SF caramel syrup, and a sm. Greek yogurt… breakfast bowl of champion obsessed walkers…

We need a new belly shot after this weekend…!

Heather Eats Almond Butter July 24, 2010 at 7:55 pm

Carolyn, The belly is huge…on a total sugar high right now. Will email you when I get home! Have fun at your dad’s party tomorrow. :)

lisa July 24, 2010 at 7:59 pm

ooooh Dark Chocolate Dreams vs Justins ! I can see that being a fun and tasty taste test :)
Ive only had justins maple almond butter, but it is soo tasty. I really want to try the choc macadamia nut butter, but I think the last time I saw it at whole foods it was a little expensive. especially since I already have about, oh, I dont know, 30 nut butters sitting at my house. :)
haha yes. I love nut butter!!!

Heather Eats Almond Butter July 25, 2010 at 7:45 am

Lisa, I’d be glad to come over and help you diminish your stock of nut butters. ;)

Kristin (Cook, Bake and Nibble) July 25, 2010 at 7:18 am

Who doesn’t love plain vanilla soft serve? SO good. Glad you’re having a good trip :D

xo
Kris

Rachel (tea and chocolate) July 25, 2010 at 9:00 am

I go to college in northeastern Missouri! Are you heading towards Kirksville by any chance?

I need to go looking for some of that chocolate hazelnut butter. Hope you have a good baby shower!

Heather Eats Almond Butter July 25, 2010 at 5:59 pm

Rachel, Nope, but many of my cousins went to school in Kirksville. We spent the weekend in Ewing, a tiny town near Hannibal. Small world! :)

Ana July 25, 2010 at 12:02 pm

Ohh, good to see reviews on the Justin’s butters! I looked at whole foods yesterday and they didn’t have it, their squeeze packs were still even the old design ones. Hopefully they will stock up soon.
Never had sonic ice cream but I am also one that loves soft serve vanilla! Friday afternoon me and Matheus stopped by Chick Fill-a to get some of their soft serve, he loves it and it was actually really good, I enjoyed it a lot, especially with the 100 degrees (no kidding!) that we are having here these past three days. Nothing better than ice cream!

mama July 25, 2010 at 1:03 pm

i agree, WHAT IS IT WITH PREGNANCY AND FAST FOOD?? Is it the saltiness maybe? coz i am pg and have eaten my fair share of Arby’s curly fries with countless sides of their cheese, i believe it truly is heavenly! We are only are pregnant a few times in life tho right? So no biggie!

Heather Eats Almond Butter July 25, 2010 at 6:00 pm

Mama, Seriously! I haven’t craved fast food in about 10 years. It’s crazy! Glad you have enjoyed yourself some Arby’s. :)

lissa10279 July 25, 2010 at 7:59 pm

XOXO — looks like a fantastic weekend and I am happy you got the Sonic cone and can’t wait to hear about Arby’s when you DO go. :) Apparently my blog post about McDonald’s was a hit with the student interviewing me for her thesis ;) Go us!

cinnamonlvr July 26, 2010 at 8:15 am

I just found that they added a whole bunch of new pb brands at my Walmart!
I’m super excited! They have Justin’s, as well as the squeeze packs, and they also have chocolate Maranatha now and the Sunflower seed butter!
I thought I died and went to pb heaven! ;P

Heather Eats Almond Butter July 26, 2010 at 8:18 am

Cinnamonlvr, At Wal-Mart?!? Who would’ve thought? Very exciting. :)

Bekah July 26, 2010 at 9:10 am