On The Road Again

by HEAB on July 25, 2010

I’m blogging from the road, something I’ve never tried before. This is going to be a quickie because I’ve never been able to read or write in the car without getting sick, and I’m not sure why I think typing will be any different, but here goes…

We had a great weekend in Missouri. It was wonderful to see all of my extended family, and last night’s baby shower was so fun. The food was great.

My plate…

I love party food. I ate sloppy Joe’s minus the buns but with chips, fresh veggie pizza (LOVE), pinwheel sandwiches, mini quiche, homemade pimiento cheese, and my sweet cousin Staci even made gluten free brownies after reading HEAB. Thanks Staci – they were so good! There was cake…

Me and my brother.

I can’t tell you the last time I had a piece of sheet cake, but I couldn’t turn down a piece of cake made especially for the HEABlet, now could I? ;) There were also these little cream cheese mints made by my cousin Abigail…

I’d never had anything like these before, but they were heavenly. Thanks Abigail!

There was no yoga or walking this weekend. I just took it easy and enjoyed my time with the family. There was some sugar consumed…okay, a good bit, but I enjoyed every bite. Several of the recipes, I hope to HEABify and share with you soon. :)

Many thanks to my cousins Staci, Dana, and Erin for hosting!

Many thanks to all my thoughtful relatives for your gifts. I can’t wait to get home and show Chris!

And many thanks to my mama for driving the whole way. Love you mom. :)

Yep, it was a great weekend, but I’m looking forward to getting home as I missed CD and the pups.

What’s your favorite go-to party food? I love the savory stuff: chips, cheese, and dips.

Enjoy the rest of your weekend!

Evan Thomas July 25, 2010 at 11:18 am

I always go for the fruit platter at parties. Maybe it’s because we never have cut up fruit around here like melon; it just seems like such a luxury when it’s there!

christina cadden July 25, 2010 at 11:19 am

I love queso at parties. Not sure why! Looks like you had fun!

Heather (Perspective Is Everything) July 25, 2010 at 11:20 am

yay! looks like so much fun :) you are truly glowing!! your eyes are SO blue in that last photo.
safe travels home :)

BBx2 - Mandy & jR July 25, 2010 at 11:21 am

Love this Heather! Love visits to see family, too :)

Your cousin made those mints??? They’re so cute!!

At the Arostegui house, it’s just a “have to” to have peanut butter M&M’s and chex mix at our parties. Not the best, but it’s not a party without them :)

Safe travels home!!

Heather Eats Almond Butter July 25, 2010 at 5:40 pm

Mandy, Sounds like my kind of party. ;)

Carbzilla July 25, 2010 at 11:21 am

I cannot control myself around those mini-quiches with their mini-crustseses.

Homemade mints?????? I’ve never heard of such a thing. What a sweet thing to make!

I’m so glad you were surrounded by so much love. You and the HEABlet (and CD) deserve it!

Ilana July 25, 2010 at 11:22 am

You are such a beautiful mama-to-be! What a lovely shower. I’m definitely with you on the savory items, I mean I love desserts but I just love anything crunchy, salty, and finger-food sized.

Dorry July 25, 2010 at 11:23 am

Glad you had a great time at the shower! I love the chips and dips at parties. I’m in heaven when there’s hummus or guacamole. :)

Tina July 25, 2010 at 11:29 am

I am stealing some ideas from that food setup for the bridal shower I’m throwing in a month. I would have forgotten about veggie pizza and pinwheels otherwise. And I even have a spinach mushroom pinwheel that I love.

Glad you had such a good time. You looked beautiful as always.

Lauren (Clean Eats in the Dirty South) July 25, 2010 at 11:39 am

ummm if i ever get preggo i’d better look as gorgeous as you!!

Heather Eats Almond Butter July 25, 2010 at 5:47 pm

Wow, thanks Lauren. You just made my night! :)

Heather @ Side of Sneakers July 25, 2010 at 11:39 am

Glad you enjoyed the shower! You look so cute :)

Averie (LoveVeggiesAndYoga) July 25, 2010 at 11:44 am

A sheet cake…no graduation or baby shower or funeral or prom or homecoming or you name it would be complete without one in the small, rural midwest town I grew up in! Nothing like some super sweet frosting, and you know what, I love it :)

The pic of you and your mom…you look happy that it’s done :) but very relaxed in your spirit and soul. And not to mention, you have great hair! The cut, the color, the flow, ahhhh, it just screams healthy pregnant mama hair..but you had great hair before you were pregnant, that’s nothing new for you!

Glad to hear the loot was good :) And go enjoy some downtime at home! You need it, I’m sure!

homecookedem July 25, 2010 at 11:48 am

Awww, what a sweet baby shower!! How fun!! I can’t wait for baby showers to start for me!! :) All of that food looks great and PIMENTO CHEESE!!!!!!!!!!

Jenny July 25, 2010 at 11:48 am

What a great get together! Glad you enjoyed some sheet cake:)

Little Bookworm July 25, 2010 at 11:49 am

Looks like a wonderful weekend. Glad you had a good time! :) The food looks amazing.

Cynthia (It All Changes) July 25, 2010 at 11:51 am

I love anything with fruit…chocolate covered, dipped, on a skewer. It all has my name on it.

fitnessandsunshine July 25, 2010 at 11:54 am

I also love savory stuff at parties. Cheese plates, veggie pizza, fresh baguette pieces, yum!

VeggieGirl July 25, 2010 at 11:58 am

Love the photo of you with your brother!

I love the vegetable trays at parties.

Ana July 25, 2010 at 12:00 pm

I am so happy you are having a great time Heather, pregnancy brings lots of joy especially when we are together with the loved ones!
Have a safe trip back home!

Chelsea Ward July 25, 2010 at 12:01 pm

Glad to see you got to celebrate your incoming HEABlet with your family. I, too, love party food and tend to favor crudites, pinwheels, chips, and dips on the the appetizer front.

Safe travels!

Lindsay July 25, 2010 at 12:07 pm

it looks like you had an amazing baby shower. the food looks amazing and i am sure that you enjoyed every single bite. i would love to get the recipe for those cream cheese mints if you could get your hands on the recipe!!

Heather Eats Almond Butter July 25, 2010 at 5:50 pm

Lindsay, My cousin just sent me the recipe for the mints:

eatmovelove July 25, 2010 at 12:08 pm

Anything with cake, cream cheese and chocolate or finger foods are a given. You’ve got a great family HEAB!

Question – if nut butters have been in the warmth for too long – i.e the trunk of a car while driving – and it’s been hot weather – will they go “bad”?…I’ve tried one jar and seems okay, but my stomach has been way off (digestion, cramps, bloated to the high Heavans)…of course could also be the enormous amount of sweets I’m eating…

Heather Eats Almond Butter July 25, 2010 at 5:52 pm

Eatmovelove, I never refrigerate my roasted nut butters, but I do sometimes keep the raw ones in the fridge. CD and I eat them so fast, that they never have time to go rancid. However, if your jars were in heat above room temperature for an extended period of time, I would toss them – just to be on the safe side.

fartygirl July 25, 2010 at 12:11 pm

Homemade mints – that’s the sign of a real foodie right there! They look like Trix! Bet they were good. :)

Heather Eats Almond Butter July 25, 2010 at 5:53 pm

Fartygirl, “Welcome Baby Demetra” :)

spoonfulofsugarfree July 25, 2010 at 12:58 pm

Oh! That is so nice! Enjoy every bit of your relaxing trip!

My favorite party food is chips and salsa!!!! And I just absolutely adore fruit salads :)

mapledreams July 25, 2010 at 1:05 pm

Hope ya didn’t feel to yucky after blogging on the road!
Cream cheese mints sound amazin…what actually are they?xx

Heather Eats Almond Butter July 25, 2010 at 5:54 pm

Mapledreams, Following is the recipe for the mints. Lots of sugar, but oh so good! Ingredients: 1 2Ib. bag of powdered sugar 1 8oz. cream cheese 1 tsp. peppermint extract small bowl of sugar food coloring and molds (optional)

Maria @ a Healthier Maria July 25, 2010 at 1:08 pm

awww what fun! I love any sort of sweets. If there’s a dessert platter I have to try one of everything.

Julie @ Pickley Pear July 25, 2010 at 1:11 pm

The veggie pizza is the best, my favorite party food! So glad you had a wonderful shower and trip :)

elaine @ Om Sweet Om July 25, 2010 at 1:12 pm

A little sugar now and then won’t hurt, and makes the experience so much more enjoyable!

Fruit plates are a must! Also veggie plates with dips and hummus.

Liz @ Tip Top Shape July 25, 2010 at 1:18 pm

Cream cheese mints? That doesn’t sound like it would go yet at the same time it kind of sounds like they would, haha. It looks like you’re having a great time :-D

Heather Eats Almond Butter July 25, 2010 at 5:56 pm

Liz, Here is the recipe for the mints…so good!

Kittie July 25, 2010 at 1:34 pm

I’ve never been able to read in a car either, your party looks like it had great food and family! Congrats.

Katie July 25, 2010 at 1:35 pm

I pretty much kill the veggie tray and the chips and salsa. If there’s guac involved, watch out!

I love sheet cake so much…reminds me of parties every time I see one!

Ana July 25, 2010 at 1:45 pm

By fartygirl “I just spent the last fifteen minutes trying to read the name on the cake! Hahhaa!”

Me too!! :-)

Heather Eats Almond Butter July 25, 2010 at 5:56 pm

Ana, “Welcome Baby Demetra” :) How did your protein ice-cream turn out?

gina (fitnessista) July 25, 2010 at 1:59 pm

looks like so much fun!
i’ve said it once but i’ll go ahead and say it again…
your bro is a beefcake ;)
i always love hummus and veggies at parties :D
xoxo

Stephanie July 25, 2010 at 2:17 pm

Looks like a great time was had by all. You look fantastic! Did you get red Danskos ? :)

Heather Eats Almond Butter July 25, 2010 at 5:46 pm

Stephanie, Haha – no, those are my brown ones, but I would still love a red pair. Hope you are doing well! :)

Stefanie July 25, 2010 at 2:21 pm

It looks like fun was had by all. My go to party foods are fruit and vegetables unless I know what is in anything. Have a great day! :)

Katie July 25, 2010 at 2:31 pm

Veggie Pizza is soooooooooooo good!! Have not had that in a long time! I am so glad the shower was amazing! I bet you got so many nice things and the cake was beautiful!!

Your mom is so sweet to drive, what a beautiful mom you have!

Have a safe drive back!

My fave party food is always fresh veggie trays, chips and dip, and for dessert I love strawberry pretzel salads!!!!!!

Heather Eats Almond Butter July 25, 2010 at 5:57 pm

Katie, Haven’t had a strawberry pretzel salad in so long. Gosh, I used to love those things!

couchpotatoathlete July 25, 2010 at 2:37 pm

What a great party — I love veggie pizza too. My mom always made that for confirmation/graduation parties and it was always such a hit.

How could you NOT have some sheet cake — I’m sure the HEABlet loved it!

Have a safe trip home!

Megan July 25, 2010 at 2:41 pm

I like the savory/salty stuff. Chips, cheese, crackers, dips…all that stuff. I like the sweet stuff too but not near as much as I like salt.

Jessica July 25, 2010 at 2:43 pm

I always start with the fruit or veggies – but my heart belongs to the sweets for sure!

ladybugbeauty July 25, 2010 at 3:15 pm

awww looks like a lovely weekend Heather.

J@WholeBodyLove July 25, 2010 at 3:18 pm

My mom made the same type of mints for my shower :) in the form of roses colored pink of course ;) I love our dress! If it isn’t maternity, I want one!

Heather Eats Almond Butter July 25, 2010 at 5:44 pm

J, I love that dress, and it’s not maternity. So comfy, and it’s on sale right now! Here’s the website: http://athleta.gap.com/browse/product.do?cid=46838&vid=1&pid=757713

annecalista July 25, 2010 at 3:32 pm

How sweet! You look so happy, as always. :-)

karen in Toronto July 25, 2010 at 4:12 pm

the veggie pizza is calling my name !!

you had such a nice WE – lucky you !

Melissa @ Tryingtoheal July 25, 2010 at 4:22 pm

ah, what a great baby shower, being with all of your family! those gatherings are always fun!

Mama Pea July 25, 2010 at 4:22 pm

Aww, the first of many Baby HEABlet celebrations! Soak it in, Mama!

Melissa R July 25, 2010 at 4:34 pm

Yeah..Yeah…Nice Baby Shower but more importantly, please post a couple more pics of the hottie brother :)

Heather Eats Almond Butter July 25, 2010 at 5:42 pm

Roger that Melissa. ;)

marshell y. Roper July 25, 2010 at 4:48 pm

I love small house parties as to where all the guess “eating habits” are implemented into the dinner menu. When ever I have a small get together, I always consider what someone may or may not be able to eat. I thought the foods at your baby shower was appropriate!
Oh yeah! I love adventurous foods at parties! Anything that I have never tried…..I will go for!!
Down 22 pounds!!!!!!!

Heather Eats Almond Butter July 25, 2010 at 5:41 pm

Awesome Shell! :)

Rachael July 25, 2010 at 5:18 pm

It looks like a heart-felt event and you looked beautiful.
Parties bring out the inner chip monster in me, and as that description would suggest, I attack salsa and guacamole like a fiend.
Blogging from Montreal for the next two weeks – I’ll sample as much goat cheese goodness as I can in your honor :)

Heather Eats Almond Butter July 25, 2010 at 5:41 pm

Thanks Rachael! :)

Kristin (Cook, Bake and Nibble) July 25, 2010 at 5:25 pm

I always start out with something savoury, but I never forget dessert! :)

xo
Kris

Meghan (Making Love In The Kitchen) July 25, 2010 at 5:36 pm

Cream cheese mints? My! I can’t even begin to imagine.

MarathonVal July 25, 2010 at 6:18 pm

I always ALWAYS go for the chocolate…. that and I used to be a sucker for bean dip until thankfully I recently created a vegan version that is much healthier. And those cream cheese mints are adorable! Love the colors!

S July 25, 2010 at 6:20 pm

That’s some awesome swag for the bambina–good thing you didn’t fly!

Pure2raw twins July 25, 2010 at 7:02 pm

You enjoy to have a weekend off from your normal routine…glad to hear it was a great time!!! So excited for you and Chris!

Jessica @ Fit & Clean July 25, 2010 at 7:03 pm

I’ve been gone for so long, I hadn’t congratulated you on being pregnant! So congratulations!! You must be so excited. I’m glad that you’re well and it looks like you’ve got that “pregnancy glow” :)

Heather Eats Almond Butter July 25, 2010 at 7:07 pm

Thanks Jessica, Good to hear from you! :)

Pure2raw twins July 25, 2010 at 7:03 pm

It is okay to enjoy a weekend off from your normal routine(I do it too)…glad to hear it was a great time!!! So excited for you and Chris!

Kristie July 25, 2010 at 7:12 pm

What a wonderful weekend… and such a pretty cake! I’m super intrigued by those cream cheese mints, I’ve never heard of anything like that but now i’m feeling like a google hunt is in order.

As for party foods, I’m ALL about the dips. Total dipping addict.

Heather Eats Almond Butter July 25, 2010 at 7:22 pm

Kristie, Here is the recipe for those yummy mints. Enjoy! :)

gfe--gluten free easily July 25, 2010 at 7:30 pm

Baby showers are such special events. You never forget them. This one looks extra special and you looks radiant, Heather!

Shirley

Anna July 25, 2010 at 7:53 pm

Awww, looks like such a fun shower!!!

mayapamela July 25, 2010 at 8:32 pm

Cream cheese mints!? I don’t even know where you could find such a thing! Did someone in your family make them?

What a lovely family celebration for the Heablet!

Heather Eats Almond Butter July 26, 2010 at 7:33 am

Mayapamela, Here is the recipe for those amazing mints:

Beat the cream cheese until well beaten… add extract blend in powdered sugar, little at a time… blend until mix is blended well, but so it is in pieces… if you only want 1 color, mix in food coloring with the mix… if you want more than one, get another bowl. divide up the mix evenly between colors, and mix the colors in… then take a piece of the dough, roll in in a small ball, and dip it around in sugar to fully coat it… u can then put them in molds or just leave them in balls… refrigerate or freeze… Enjoy [image: :) ]

mayapamela July 25, 2010 at 8:33 pm

Cream cheese mints?! I don’t even know where you could find such a thing. Did someone in your family make them?

What a lovely weekend with your family celebrating the Heablet!

Heather Eats Almond Butter July 26, 2010 at 7:39 am

Mayapamela, Yes, my cousin made the mints. Just sent you the recipe. Enjoy!

Wendy July 25, 2010 at 10:05 pm

What a great spread at the shower! Yum!
Congratulations to you! :-D

christina July 25, 2010 at 10:34 pm

your brother is hunky and i like his muscles. haha

how in the world did she make those cream cheese mints? wow

Heather Eats Almond Butter July 26, 2010 at 7:38 am

Christina, Following is the recipe for the mints…my brother liked them too. ;)

kaztronomic July 26, 2010 at 12:52 am

I always zoom in on the fruit and the desserts. :D

Oooh, is there possibly a recipe for those cream cheese mints?

I’m glad you had a great shower! It looks like it was a ton of fun. =)

Heather Eats Almond Butter July 26, 2010 at 7:37 am

Kaztronomic, Following is the recipe for the mints. So yummy!

lena July 26, 2010 at 1:47 am

Can’t believe it’s already shower time! You look gorgeous.

Heather Eats Almond Butter July 26, 2010 at 7:36 am

Thanks Lena! :)

Mary @ Bites and Bliss July 26, 2010 at 5:10 am

Looks like so much fun!! Those lil cream cheese mints sound awesome!! It’s not everyday you get homemade treats like those. :) Anyway, wonderful baby shower! :D

Sarah July 26, 2010 at 6:35 am

I’ve always been a fan of “puppy chow” — its chex mix dipped in a pb/chocolate mixture, and then rolled in powdered sugar. So Good! I don’t know if that’s what it’s actually called, but that’s what we call it here (in the midwest :) )It’s got chex mix, so it can’t be that bad for you, right?

Heather Eats Almond Butter July 26, 2010 at 7:36 am

Sarah, I’ve had puppy chow before, and it is AMAZING, and yes, there has got to be some kind of redeeming quality to it…chocolate has antioxidants. ;)

sweetersalt July 26, 2010 at 7:28 am

Oh yay – I love baby / wedding showers! No worries about the sugar – how many baby showers does a person get? I’m with you on the savory though, there’s always some delicious cheesy dip that some aunty has made, how can you say no?

Heather Eats Almond Butter July 26, 2010 at 7:35 am

Sweetersalt, Not sure what the average number of baby showers is. I’m having two, and I’m hoping for lots of cheesy dips at shower #2 as well. ;)

Erika July 26, 2010 at 7:45 am

I’m with you – I tend to stick to the savory chips/dip and salsa/chips at parties. (Wierd since I never eat savory at home – always sweet stuff!) :-D

Shauna July 26, 2010 at 8:17 am

Was that a rhubard dessert I see? Rhubarb is so underappreciated these days.

On the cream cheese mints, I remember making these for many weddings when I was a kid. They are best when you go easy on the mint and coloring, and pluck them furtively from the freezer! ;) A friend and I were just recently reminiscing about these just a couple weeks ago, and before that I hadn’t thought of them for years.

Heather Eats Almond Butter July 26, 2010 at 8:21 am

Shauna, Good eyes! Yes, that was some sort of rhubarb crisp, and I am regretting not trying it…I was too busy shoveling the sheet cake and gluten free brownies in my mouth…and of course, the mints as well. ;)

Bekah July 26, 2010 at 9:12 am

Great seeing some of your family Heather! Loved the brother photo.
The party food looks delicious too!

Jamie Wilson July 26, 2010 at 9:53 am

Cream cheese mints!! Hehehe, you definitely were in missouri or iowa! I’m originally from Iowa, and a gathering of any sort was not complete without that classic blend of cream cheese, sugar, peppermint extract & food coloring pressed into a little mint mold… the thought of them makes me feel both homesick & actually kind of sick…

LOVE your blog Heather & congrats… I’m been reading for a loooong time, although I don’t think I’ve ever commented before – I just rarely have anything important to add! :)

Heather Eats Almond Butter July 26, 2010 at 1:12 pm

Jamie, Too funny, and yes, those mints seem to be a must at every gathering my relatives have. I’d never had them before, but hope to eat them again someday. So yummy!

Thanks for reading my blog. :)