The Unwanted, But Successful Fast Food Experiment

by HEAB on July 31, 2010

Chris and I left for our Babymoon at 5:45 AM this morning. The Jeep was already packed, and the plan was to roll out of bed, quickly shower, feed the dogs, and hit the road. Yesterday, I packed our mini-cooler with grilled grass fed burgers, hard boiled eggs, roasted turkey, a grilled chicken breast for the dogs, prepared protein chia oats, Chunks of Energy, and some dark chocolate. We always pack all our food when we travel with the dogs as it’s too hard to stop for long periods of time. We basically take the time to fill the car up with gas and walk the dogs for a few minutes. Neither Chris or I are big fans of fast food, and we can’t leave the dogs in the car for a sit-down meal. So, we always stock the cooler and eat on the road. Guess where our cooler is? Yeah, it’s still sitting in our fridge in Nashville. Oops.

We were about an hour into our trip when I realized we were cooler-less…right about when I decided I was ready for my oatmeal. Let’s just say I was not a happy camper. CD knows me so well, and about an hour after discovering the cooler was not in the car, he looked at me, and said, You’re still mad aren’t you…and I bet you’re trying to figure out what you will eat for the rest of the day. Ha, he knows me too well and totally read my mind. Yes, I was annoyed, but I decided to make the best of things. After all, the HEABlet has been craving fast food like crazy lately!

Breakfast courtesy of The Golden Arches.

I requested 2 orders of scrambled eggs, and they threw in an English muffin as well. Thankfully, the almond butter I packed made it into the car! Thank you Justin – I love your chocolate almond butter. It’s definitely my favorite out of your new chocolate nut butter collection…and just so you know, it tastes delicious on a McDonald’s English muffin. ;)

About 5 hours later, we stopped to get gas, and there was a Quizno’s across the street. I don’t know if I’ve ever eaten at a Quizno’s before, but a toasted sandwich sounded really good in the moment. So, I ordered the Bistro Steak Melt Flatbread Sammie.

This totally hit the spot…I think I could have eaten 5 more. I give Quizno’s two thumbs up!

Post lunch, I ate a Nutiva Hemp Chocolate Bar packed in my backpack along with my nut butter stash.

In a little less than 11 hours after leaving Nashville, we arrived at our destination. We’ve rented a lake house in tee-tiny town located in the Upper Peninsula of Michigan. It’s so calm and peaceful here…not to mention MUCH cooler than Nashville, and I think I’m going to thoroughly enjoy our Babymoon. :)

There was no fast food for dinner as there are no fast food restaurants in town. After unpacking, I made the trek up to main street in search of a decent dinner, and discovered the cutest little restaurant called The Loon’s Nest. I order a chicken salad for me and a burger with sweet potato fries for CD. I also bought a loaf of their famous cherry pecan bread. Oh my gosh, I could smell it baking while I waited for our dinner, and I could not resist!

Yay for vegetables…I love cashews in my salads!

And for dessert, a piece of cherry pecan bread toasted. Amazing!

So despite having to eat outside of my comfort zone today, I thoroughly enjoyed each and every meal. OK, time to go hang out with CD. :)

I hope everyone is having a wonderful weekend! Have you ever been forced to eat somewhere where you would normally never dine? Did you enjoy it?

lissa10279 July 31, 2010 at 7:49 pm

So proud of you for handling things with such ease!! Go YOU! :) And yea for being in Michigan–it’s beautiful in the UP, isn’t it? (closest I’ve been is Mackinac and that is just stunning!) Happy Babymoon–maybe we’ll take one for our anniversary (which is YOUR due date ;) XOXO

Kaley July 31, 2010 at 7:50 pm

I am often forced to eat places I don’t want to with my family. My dad and I, well, let’s just say our tastes differ. Tonight, for instance, we went to Texas Roadhouse. Not exactly innovative cuisine, but I got the country veg plate with a salad, a sweet potato, and sauteed onions/mushrooms. It was good, really! I could eat sauteed mushrooms everyday, though. In a good olive oil, it’s divine.

I hope you two have fun on your babymoon. What a sweet idea.

Heather Eats Almond Butter August 1, 2010 at 7:26 am

Kaley, I feel the same way about the shrooms! :)

Jenn (GH) July 31, 2010 at 7:50 pm

This has happen to me multiple times. Typically, I’m sort of secretly happy I get to eat fast food. He he!!!! I don’t eat it very much because of their production practices and quality but that doesn’t mean I don’t like it! Please don’t tell anyone. ;-)

Have a wonderful babymoon!

Oh yes, when I’m pregnant I <3 McD's filet-o-fish. Wait…I like it when I'm not pregnant.

Heather Eats Almond Butter August 1, 2010 at 7:25 am

Jenn, No worries – your secret is safe with me. ;)

It All Changes July 31, 2010 at 7:56 pm

I’m glad you were able to make the best of it. When we travel with the dogs we do the same. I never thought to get two sets of eggs at McD’s. Great tip for a traveling vegetarian.

lifeilluminated July 31, 2010 at 7:57 pm

Yay! It makes me so happy to hear that you went out of your comfort zone and ate things that you normally wouldn’t have. The fact that you enjoyed it, is the biggest accomplishment of all though! Ever since developing an ED, pretty much everything is a food or food place that I avoid, but I have been trying to go out of my comfort zone and enjoy things I normally would not.

Lindsay July 31, 2010 at 7:57 pm

I am so sorry that you forgot your cooler, but I think it is AMAZING that you just rolled with it and found some good eats on the road. I have been in situations like that before and I would get so angry and for the entire road trip my parents couldnt talk to me because I would just flip out on them for forgetting. So I think I will need to role with the punches more often!! :)

Josie July 31, 2010 at 8:04 pm

you improvise beautifully, HEAB! so glad you’re in the UP. i lived in downstate michigan for a while, but i never made it to the UP, and i’ve always regretted that.

enjoy every second of the babymoon!

Heather (Perspective Is Everything) July 31, 2010 at 8:05 pm

Had I forgotten my cooler, I’m pretty sure I would have “lost it” for a brief moment or an hour. LOL!
Having all the food intolerances I do, my options are extremely limited and at fast food places, would be confined to measly salads.
Glad you managed to maintain your composure and be flexible!
Have fun in Michigan-you’re only a state away now :) (I’m in Wisconsin)

Liz @ Tip Top Shape July 31, 2010 at 8:08 pm

I just had my first Quiznos sandwich yesterday and it was amazing!! I got the Mesquite Chicken- SO GOOD. Yours sounds good, too. That may be my order on the next Quizno’s trip :D

BroccoliHut July 31, 2010 at 8:09 pm

My boyfriend Seth is slightly addicted to Subway, so I’ve grown to like it over the past several months out of necessity. Love their sweet onion sauce!

Heather Eats Almond Butter August 1, 2010 at 7:23 am

BroccoliHut, I was hoping for Subway yesterday as it is my fast food restaurant of choice. However, Quizno’s was pretty darn good!

lindsay July 31, 2010 at 8:12 pm

WOW, it all look so good too. I’m impressed! Enjoy your time at the lakehouse.

Mandy July 31, 2010 at 8:14 pm

Awesome, love! I’m so proud of you for being such a bounce-back champ. It truly is inspiring. I know how difficult it is to release, be flexible, and step outside of the perfectly planned comfort zone. I’m glad you were able to keep it together (and savor the experience, no less)! I think this will be good practice for erratic and amazing ventures with your future with the HEABlet.

Warm wishes for your get away, dear. Enjoy!

Heather Eats Almond Butter August 1, 2010 at 7:22 am

Thanks Mandy. :)

caronae July 31, 2010 at 8:37 pm

Yay for getting out of your comfort zone! SO excited you are in my home state. Isn’t it wonderful? I’m shocked you made it so fast — normally it’s a good six or so hours from the bottom of MI up into the UP. But, anyways, the lakes/cottages/beaches in MI are the best. I am not as familiar with those in the UP. Be forewarned, if you are on Lake Superior, the water will be freezing — Lake MI should be warmer. The best cherries in the world are grown in northern MI,esp. in the Traverse City area. There are tons of wonderful bakeries and breads like that. And Naturally Nutty comes from Traverse City — you could make a visit on your way back down. :)

Are you going to be there through all of August? I should be home at some point in the next few weeks, although probably nowhere near you (I live near Ann Arbor). Anyways, I’m clearly uber excited that you’ve chosen the best state ever! Have fun and relax!

Heather Eats Almond Butter August 1, 2010 at 7:21 am

Caronae, I didn’t know you were from Michigan. Yes, it’s quite lovely here. However, I learned I’m actually in the Lower Peninsula. We’re actually near Traverse City, and I can’t wait to visit. I did not know that was the home of Naturally Nutty! Oh goodness, I might be in big trouble. ;)

Betherann July 31, 2010 at 8:41 pm

Great job being so flexible. Rock it!

Carbzilla July 31, 2010 at 9:05 pm

Way to roll with it. I would have been kicking myself for miles but eventually would have let it go. What can you do? Give it up and pick your battles, I figure.

So just out of curiosity, did you know about this town before or did you just pick it randomly? Had you ever been there? I’m just wondering because we’ve travelled both ways to great success. You always find such great places to go.

Have a wonderful time!

Heather Eats Almond Butter August 1, 2010 at 7:18 am

Thanks Carbzilla! We couldn’t go to Colorado due to the altitude. My doctor said I might be fine, or I could be miserable and out of breath the whole time. We decided not to risk it. Chris grew up in Chicago, and suggested we go to Michigan since we wanted to go somewhere with cooler temps, that was not at altitude, and that was close enough to drive to in one day since we’d have the dogs with us. So, he got on VRBO and did lots of research. We need a dog friendly place with Internet, and we wanted it to be near the water, trails, and be quiet. I have to give credit to CD when it comes to finding where our vacations spots – he always finds the best places, and it’s usually places we’ve never even heard of – it’s fun to take a chance and be adventurous!

Jessica @ How Sweet July 31, 2010 at 9:13 pm

I am in the Upper Peninsula right now, too! Where are you guys going? Just curious as I have vacationed here my whole life. It is my most favorite place in the world. :)

Heather Eats Almond Butter August 1, 2010 at 7:13 am

Jessica, I’m actually in the Lower Peninsula…oops! We’re staying near Traverse City – so lovely. :)

Robyn jones Clark July 31, 2010 at 9:17 pm

That salad and bread look so Devine!

Sarah July 31, 2010 at 9:18 pm

I get annoyed when my plans to eating my preferred foods go awry. But you know, I love your attitude about it all. I hope you enjoy your meals, as it was. And even more than that, I hope you have a fantastic baby moon with your hubby!

Katie July 31, 2010 at 9:21 pm

Oooh, and that cooler was packed with the GOODS! I think you did great rolling with the punches there. I would have been so angry with myself. I probably would have had an hour long internal debate about whether to turn around.

I’m from Wisconsin – I bet you drove right through my hometown. Sigh. Isn’t is beautiful up there? So peaceful. I miss it.

Heather Eats Almond Butter August 1, 2010 at 7:12 am

Katie, Don’t think I didn’t think about turning around. :)

And yes, MI is beautiful, but apparently, I’m in the Lower Peninsula. Oops. Still lovely. Hope you’re having a good weekend!

glidingcalm July 31, 2010 at 9:22 pm

mmmm that salad and bread look fab!!!

Hope your Sunday is wonderful!!

Love you so!
~GC

couchpotatoathlete July 31, 2010 at 9:26 pm

I think you made great choices considering your circumstances. I’m afraid to admit that I would have just caved and gotten a greasy breakfast sandwich, a big huge sandwich at quiznos and a burger at the other place! But the food you picked will keep you feeling good, instead of stuffed full of sodium and gross ingredients.

That bread looks so delicious!

Jackie (Peaces of Earth) July 31, 2010 at 9:29 pm

Oh man, I would’ve been so so sad!! You handled it well, though and had some good eats. Enjoy your babymoon!!

lizlivingvegan July 31, 2010 at 9:40 pm

On my way back from my family reunion I had no choice but to eat Hardie’s with my brother and sister in law.I never eat fast food, but those curly fries hit the spot!!

annecalista July 31, 2010 at 9:51 pm

It’s awesome that you didn’t let that ruin your day- I would have been sooo upset.
The upper peninsula is a beautiful place- you’ll have a wonderful babymoon!

Mama Pea July 31, 2010 at 9:59 pm

Babymoon! Right when you said that word, it dawned on me that you really are having a baby. I cannot believe in a few months there will be a baby in your house/on the blog and your life will be forever changed. Forgotten coolers will seem like a lifetime ago (and quite small on the scale of tragedies…try forgetting Blankie!). Ay Dios mio!

Heather Eats Almond Butter August 1, 2010 at 7:09 am

Mama Pea, Haha – I remember leaving my blanket at a pizza restaurant, and my dad ended up in the dumpster looking for it…I believe a made a much bigger deal out of the blanket than I did our cooler yesterday. Hehe. :)

Patrice July 31, 2010 at 10:01 pm

Ohmygosh, you are soo close to some of my favorite places! I’m from Wisconsin and venture into the U.P. often because I have a lot of family there. Be sure to explore the Manistique area, and ask the locals for the best things to do!

Heather Eats Almond Butter August 1, 2010 at 7:08 am

Patrice, I actually found out I’m in the L.P. Oops, but it’s still quite lovely. :)

Mimi July 31, 2010 at 10:01 pm

Haha, I would have freaked a little if I’d left my cooler. Come to think of it, my sister might have snuck it out of the car as a prank, JUST to see me freak out.

But I don’t actually have much of a problem with fast food. Regrettably, it’s because I memorized every menu when I was at the height of my disordered habits.

Quiznos is usually pretty good–I really like their honey burbon! I love hot sandwiches way more than cold ones.

Have fun on your babymoon!

Oh! BTW, I made the pesto! I had to use pepitas instead of pine nuts, but it still came out awesome. I was slathering it on veggies, veggie burgers, egg scrambles, you name it!

Heather Eats Almond Butter August 1, 2010 at 7:07 am

Mimi, I must try the pesto with pumpkin seeds. We bought our pine nuts at Trader Joe’s, and Chris had an allergic reaction to them. He still has a metallic taste in his mouth. So weird, but apparently, it’s called Pine Mouth and has happened to others who have eaten pine nuts imported from China. So, pepitas sound like a great alternative – thx for the idea!

Celina July 31, 2010 at 10:16 pm

I once had to eat at mc Donalds too! I ordered a salad and thank goodness it was a short drive home…I couldn’t wait to make my own meal;) I love your blog btw! It’s so much fun to get to know you through your posts… I can’t wait to hear about all your adventures when you and CD are amazing parents:)

Heather Eats Almond Butter August 1, 2010 at 7:04 am

Thanks so much for reading Celina, and here are some photos of cake cones: http://www.google.com/images?um=1&hl=en&client=safari&rls=en&biw=1278&bih=593&tbs=isch%3A1&sa=1&q=cake+cone&btnG=Search&aq=f&aqi=&aql=&oq=&gs_rfai=. It’s actually the kind of cone served at McDonald’s. :)

Gaby July 31, 2010 at 10:38 pm

oh no! losing all that good food sucks :\
But maybe it’s a blessing in disguise since it was a great way to challenge yourself! That’s so awesome that you didn’t let it ruin the day. I always remind myself that the stress is probably worse for me than the actual fast food will be. And especially with HEABlet in tow, you should be as relaxed as possible!
Since I’m always traveling around for work and fun, and even at home my family’s diet is not only very meat based but “inside the box” if you get what I mean. So I’m always having to compromise because they get really mad at me when I have trouble finding things to eat and will freak out yelling at me and how difficult I am if I even comment on not being happy with their choices. That’s why I pack lots of snacks when I travel, and I’ve become a master at mixing up sides and appetizers on menu’s to make a meal. Recently in Australia where absolutely nothing was vegan friendly and customer service is non existant, I ended up getting a lot of salads and having to pay a lot of extras here and there to get extra bread baskets, a few slices of avocado, or anything else I could get them to hand over without being too demanding about it.

On a more positive note, I just bought eggs for the first time in over a year! I haven’t really missed them much but have been craving them lately, especially with all your omelets! I went to the farmer’s market where I got to meet the farmer and saw pictures of his hens and everything so I feel really happy about it. And today I made a kale omelet with ….::::drumroll:::: ….PESTO!!!!!!!

Hope you’re having a fabulous babymoon!

Heather Eats Almond Butter August 1, 2010 at 7:02 am

Gaby, Eggs – aren’t they best, especially when you know they came from happy chickens. :) And you can never go wrong with pesto!!!

Sorry your family gets upset with you when it comes to your food choices, but at least you know how to be prepared. I love “creating” my own meals at restaurants…kind of a fun challenge. :)

Kelsey @ CleanTeenKelsey July 31, 2010 at 10:52 pm

Good for your for making the best of an otherwise frustrating situation! I would’ve so been like you: upset and desperately trying to figure out what I would eat. I have been in that situation and I usually just do what I can. There’s usually SOME sort of option everywhere; it may not be the best, but it’s better than starving, lol.

edenseats July 31, 2010 at 11:40 pm

go you! Its unrealistic living your whole life without good fast food. The way I see it, I judge the food, but my body doesn’t it will digest it like everything else I eat and I’ll live and be the same weight most likely. I’ll admit McD’s has the best fries on the planet. You only live once, unless your a cat…..alright dumb joke but I AM very proud you handled it so well and kept your sanity!

ForDGRedial August 1, 2010 at 1:15 am

Not sure if you’re done this before but we travel alot and I really struggle to motivate and inspire myself enough to pack food…as well as often being short on time to pack. Would love to see a post about how to do this.

x

Heather Eats Almond Butter August 1, 2010 at 7:31 am

ForDGRedial, OK, Wordpress is back up, and as promised, here is the post: http://heathereatsalmondbutter.com/2009/08/29/we-made-it-jay-welcomed-me-home/. :)

Averie (LoveVeggiesAndYoga) August 1, 2010 at 5:07 am

“As far as hemp protein goes, these bars are pretty good. In other words, they don’t taste like dirt.”—I would concur!!

I think back to a post you did about 3 -4 mos ago maybe? Relaxing the Rules. When before going out to eat w/ friends you totally had the menu to that restaurant looked up online and thought about it…to blogging about that lil trait of yours and tons of other ppl chimed in they are similar…fast forward to today…you are eating fast food, on a whim, winging it and finding healthy substitutions despite it being, well, fast food. I am soooo proud of you! Never thought I’d say I’d be proud of anyone for eating fast food, but given your journey, in such a short amt of time, I am totally proud of you!

It’s now 4am, and time for me to go to bed :) Wingin’ it and rollin’ with life, lack of sleep and all, that’s parenthood and growing up for me :)

Katie August 1, 2010 at 5:39 am

Ahhhhhhhhhhhh I know how you must of felt to forget the cooler : p but you were good about it for sure , and you made the best out of it!

I am loving that chix salad!!!! Looks so good! U need to make that at home : )

I hope you and your husband have a wonderful time : ) xoxo

Sarena (The Non-Dairy Queen) August 1, 2010 at 7:04 am

I am glad you guys are on your little get away! I need to have that bread for sure! I am craving bread lately!!! I can totally understand the packed food being forgotten! I would have been worried about where to eat and the fact that that food would be wasted would grate on my last nerve! I have been forced to eat somewhere else, but if you know how to work around a menu, like ordering double eggs, then you can eat well and feel good about it! Enjoy your Sunday Heather!

Heather Eats Almond Butter August 1, 2010 at 7:27 am

Thanks Sarena – you too! Oh, and I’ll eat an extra piece of that bread for ya. ;)

eatmovelove August 1, 2010 at 7:16 am

Oh man – tell the truth – did you consider turning around to get that cooler?! I sooo would have stoppd at the side of the road for a good 10 minutes thinking just that – until I would obviously come to my senses and realized an extra 2-3 hours of driving is NOT worth it LOL…

And ,yeah , that has been the story of my life for the past month or so – eating on a whim outside of my comfort zone – 5 day road trips, hotels…there were alot of stops. And it’s funny because I packed some of my own stuff – but mostly snack stuff – and didn’t expect to be side-lined for so long on the road (it’s a long and horrible story…) – and normally I would never stop at these restaurants either. But a nice sit-down or buying a giganitic turkey sandwich on wheat with the fixin’s and salads became a friend…Subway – even DQ – became my friend.

Oh and there was also a whole lot of chocolate milk, coffee, candy (something to chew on the road ;) ), and those darned muffins consumed.

Enjoy the Babymoon!

Heather Eats Almond Butter August 1, 2010 at 7:19 am

Eatmovelove, Yeah, I’ll admit it…I thought about turning around. ;)

Kristie August 1, 2010 at 7:33 am

Forgetting the cooler definitely could have been disastrous (I would have been super cranky about that one) but you managed to make it work out really well. I have to admit, I’m super impressed by the simple mcd meal, didn’t even know they did scrambled eggs. Good to know for future emergencies! And I LOVE Quiznos, I’ve actually been craving a Quiznos sub for weeks now. Might have to hit that up this week!

homecookedem August 1, 2010 at 7:49 am

You totally made the BEST out of the situation! And as you have shown, it IS possible to eat healthy meals out on the road… maybe not quite as healthy as in our own kitchen, but eating out every now and then won’t kill us! ;) Enjoy your Babymoon!!!!!!! :)

A Teenage Gourmet August 1, 2010 at 8:02 am

I had to make cafeteria food work at my recent 10-day camp! It actually wasn’t too difficult because they always had fresh fruit, quality breads, and a salad bar. My only issue was with the scrambled eggs, after a kid told me that they were made with powder. =/

Heather Eats Almond Butter August 1, 2010 at 3:34 pm

Teenage Gourmet, I’ve never understood powdered eggs. Why why why? :(

Glad you enjoyed your camp – sounds like you made the best of it, and thank goodness for salad bars! :)

Ana August 1, 2010 at 8:10 am

Oh Gosh, I would have been really mad with me for forgetting the cooler, that is for sure… And I would also want to turn around and go back to pick it up! :-)
And I totally agree with MamaPea, wait until Heablet is here, there will be a lot more drama involving forgotten things, you won’t even care about the food when Joe the monkey is left behind! (Matheus once forgot his favorite stuffed animal – the one he used to sleep with – when we were going to Brazil to visit family, he only remembered about the bear when we were in Atlanta going for our connection flight, no way to go back to get it, he was so sad the whole flight and for a few days after we got there. Thankfully my sister let him borrow a bear that she had and from there he was ok with not having Mr. Bear for a while, phew!! He never forgot him – or Joe the monkey- again though!!)
You are awesome for turning things around and not letting the forgotten cooler to get the best of you, way to go Heather!!
I have definitely eaten at places I didn’t want too, many times unfortunately (hubby and I don’t have the same eating habits). A few times it wasn’t bad, but I had some not so good experience and to those places I vowed not to go back. (It is funny because now besides myself I also hate seeing Matheus eating at bad places and not enjoying the food) At least I am glad my husband understands me, he learned to enjoy the junk food places during weekday lunches with his coworkers.

Heather Eats Almond Butter August 1, 2010 at 3:36 pm

Ana, Poor Matheus…I had a blanket that meant the world to me, and so I totally understand his pain, and I’m 34. Maybe I still haven’t ever gotten over losing mine – hehe.

Your husband is a good man. Is he loving the Vita-Mix as much as you and Matheus yet?

http://tanyasdaily.blogspot.com/ August 1, 2010 at 8:48 am

you made the mc food look good

Lauren @40apples August 1, 2010 at 8:56 am

Wow, talk about having to make the best of highly frustrating situation! Have to admit that does not sound like the ideal way to start off a vacation (I would be pissed!) but you valiantly switched gears and didnt stress. Sometimes it takes something like that to remind us what a vacation is really about: relaxing! Glad you were able to. Enjoy your time there!!

mandyunruh August 1, 2010 at 9:08 am

Michigan! My home State! I LOVE it there, and will be there in two weeks, although not in the UP…once again, I feel we are kindred spirits. My little baby CRAVES Subway, of all things! I get a turkey sub with mounds of veggies and vinegar almost every day. Normally, you could not pay me to go there…whatever works, right? Happy Babymoon! Enjoy. xoxo

Heather Eats Almond Butter August 1, 2010 at 3:32 pm

Mandy, Subway was my first choice yesterday, but the exit where we stopped didn’t have one. So, I ate at Quizno’s instead, and it was delicious. However, Subway will always be my top fast food restaurant of choice. I really do like it. :)

Carolyn August 1, 2010 at 9:09 am

Heather,

Rare commenter but longtime reader :D .

I love the UP!! But I see below that you are near T.C. Traverse city is absolutely gorgeous, too! Make sure to pick up some cherry foodie goods since that is what TC is known for!

Carolyn

Heather Eats Almond Butter August 1, 2010 at 3:30 pm

Carolyn, You won’t believe this, but I went to the grocery store today and grabbed a bag of the most gorgeous looking cherries ever. However, when I got back to the house, I noticed that they came from Seattle, WA. What the heck!?! I was so disappointed. They’re good, but I can’t wait to try some local ones soon, and I hope to explore Traverse city sometime this week.

P.S. Thanks for reading HEAB. :)

Kayla August 1, 2010 at 9:11 am

congrats on stepping out of your comfort zone Heather! …even if you were kind of forced to :)
The family I nanny for took me to Burger King last week. Oh my gosh, don’t even get me started.. they have NO healthy options! The mom wanted me to get a double whopper, fries, ice cream cone, and a large diet coke, aka her exact meal. I talked her down to a regular cheeseburger and ice cream, even though I’m on a vegetarian kick and lactose intolerant. :/
Hope your fast food didn’t cause you anxiety like me! Yours actually looks good too!

Heather Eats Almond Butter August 1, 2010 at 3:28 pm

Kayla, Goodness – I hope you rub off a bit on the family you nanny for…perhaps in the near future, the mama will be wanting your meals instead. :)

BBx2 - Mandy & jR August 1, 2010 at 10:21 am

Hey honey!

So glad you’re off on your babymoon! Enjoy it!

I was going to say the same thing as Mama Pea! Wait till the little one is here :) You’ll forget almost everything!

You made the best of the situation, though! Great choices!!!

Talk to you soon!

kelsey@snackingsquirrel.com August 1, 2010 at 10:42 am

and i just got a justins chocolate butter.. well not almond but hazelnut, and i wasent sure how i wanted to use it! ive gotta get an english muffin to put it on!!! score :) snatching the idea.. well a part of it hehe :)

xoxo <3

Rachael August 1, 2010 at 11:10 am

Forgetting the food is a familiar feeling these days – should I take a chance and delegate to Clover, my partner, the responsibility of removing our provisions from hosts’ fridges, odds are he won’t remember until we’re in a different city. Simple mistakes, but I’ve sacrificed a lot of produce so far!
Road food is difficult for me, so we usually stop at markets along the way, rarely restaurants. Sandwich shops do seem like the best bet these days, though!

Laura August 1, 2010 at 1:53 pm

Ahh always scary when ya have to go outside your comfort zone, but that’s great you managed to find something! I’m sure Heablet enjoyed its McD’s breakfast;-) xx

Mary @ Bites and Bliss August 1, 2010 at 2:29 pm

I would have been just as upset ass you were. Glad it all worked out, though!! Sometime’s road eats can be pleasantly surprising :)

jacobc August 1, 2010 at 2:51 pm

Maybe CD wanted some fast food, ha!
The pups get chicken breast? Woah, spoiled! I have a friend who gives his dogs anything the family eats, the dog even gets a happy meal at mcdonalds..
Have fun on the baby-moon!

OH, were you ever able to hear the txt mssg i sent last month?

Heather Eats Almond Butter August 1, 2010 at 3:15 pm

Happy Belated birthday JacobC – yesterday, right? :)

The pups usually just get dog food, but it’s much easier to feed them chicken breast chunks on the road, and no, I never did hear the text message. :(

hayleycepeda August 1, 2010 at 2:56 pm

Considering you ate fast food you ate REALLY well!! Just goes to show that there are no excuses, right? People aren’t FORCED to eat burgers and fries all the time, even if fast food is quick and easy. :) That wrap looks especially good…yum!!!

I hope you and CD enjoy your babymoon!! I’m sure it will be wonderful.. :)

Meg August 1, 2010 at 3:11 pm

That salad looks so yummy! Forgetting the cooler is exactly the kind of thing I’d do, but good job being easygoing! Because of my food intolerances, I’d have a hard time getting something to eat at a fast food restaurant. But there have been times when I’ve had to eat outside of my comfort zone, like at a friend’s BBQ, where they went out of their way to make sure the sauce they used on the pork ribs was gluten free. I generally don’t like to eat meat, though, and the sauce was still full of sugar, which made me uncomfortable. However, I decided to just go with it and eat it anyway. Turns out it was delicious and I ended up having a great time, and went back to my usual healthy eats the next day. I think it’s good to push yourself a little sometimes! :)

Heather Eats Almond Butter August 1, 2010 at 3:16 pm

Meg, I agree – sometimes it’s good to get pushed. That was very sweet of your friends to make sure the rib sauce was gluten free. :)

pastorleanne August 1, 2010 at 3:40 pm

Thank you for the McDonald’s suggestion – my husband and I are trying to “eat clean” as much as possible…BUT we are bringing a group of kids to camp tomorrow morning and stopping for breakfast at the Golden Arches on the way. I’ve been stressing about what I am going to do, and now I know!!! Way to think outside the box….

Heather Eats Almond Butter August 1, 2010 at 3:51 pm

Patorleanne, You’re welcome. Enjoy your eggs…and bring some almond butter with you! :)

brittac August 1, 2010 at 3:43 pm

Oh I recently added some fast food into my life =a had a meal from chick fila. I was SOOO nervous about eating it, but you know what? I survived AND it tasted wonderful AND i didnt gain a pound!

Heather Eats Almond Butter August 1, 2010 at 3:52 pm

Brittac, I stopped at good ole Chick-Fil-A not too long ago for an ice-cream cone, and it too was delicious and super cheap. Love it!

christina cadden August 1, 2010 at 3:59 pm

mmm, that food looks so good!

Nicole August 1, 2010 at 5:19 pm

Giirrrlll I would have been livid too if I had forgotten my packed food!! But you did great!! No matter how much I try to prepare, whenever I travel there is some point where I have to eat somewhere I normally wouldn’t. I try to make the best of it as much as I can, i.e. salads and yogurt parfaits from McDonalds, baked potatoes from Wendy’s (Wendy’s used to have these pita sandwiches that I loved) And even Arby’s has a homemade sandwich selection that isn’t bad either (this was all pre-GF days but I’d still find a way to make it work)
So glad you’re there and safe. Enjoy your babymoon!!!

Jill August 1, 2010 at 6:06 pm

Ahhh!! Now I see you’re in the UP!! How cool…I’m so jealous! I am actually from Sault Ste. Marie Michigan!! Are you close to there? If you are, you can go to my Aunt Mary’s house and she’ll cook you a big ole pot of Mangeno spaghetti…she still lives there. Serious. She is the BEST cook ever…and I have tons of relatives still up there. True Italians. How fun…have a great Baby moon!!

Joe wants to know if you’ll test positive from eating a Hemp bar. I just rolled my eyes at him…but you’ll have to email or blog more about hemp…he’s pretty unsure of it.

Ok, tell me more about this most awesome UP vacation…cool!

Heather Eats Almond Butter August 2, 2010 at 9:07 am

Jill, Ha – I got it wrong. Apparently, I don’t know my MI geography well at all! We’re actually in the LP – near Traverse City, and I have no idea if that is close to Sault Ste. Marie. Is it as I would love some of your Aunt Mary’s Mangeno spaghetti! :) Any other MI tips you might have for us?

Please tell Joe that I would not test positive…at least I don’t think I would. Hehe, not sure what makes hemp different from marijuana to be honest. I should find out and blog about it. ;)

Alisa August 1, 2010 at 6:21 pm

Quizno’s is pretty good. We used to eat at it on the run in Canada before the hit the states. Honestly, I think it was better in Canada, but definitely not bad here!

Have an awesome babymoon!!

kelli August 1, 2010 at 7:07 pm

This totally hapened to me going to the airport on sunday,I brought OIAJ….and they would not let it through security it was early i was upset I wanted my zucchini bread oatmeal with granola and pb………….so then I had to settle for bland airport oatmeal..and crappy pb lol…my parents did not understand the devastation aha

Heather Eats Almond Butter August 2, 2010 at 9:09 am

Kelli, Don’t even get me started on airport security. I once got 2 brand new (and expensive!) jars of nut butter confiscated, and I hadn’t even opened them yet. I’ve been pretty bitter ever since, and so please know that I understand your pain. :(

Scott in Ohio August 2, 2010 at 5:37 am

Holy moly…I would’ve totally freaked and turned the car around to go get that cooler.

There are so many awesome places to stay around the Great Lakes. Glad you all found one that met your criteria.

Any good farmers markets up there?

Enjoy exploring and definitely find some local cherries!

Heather Eats Almond Butter August 2, 2010 at 9:08 am

Scott, Yes, there are some great famer’s markets up here, and I must get to one as I am dying for some grass fed beef…and some local cherries. I bought some at the grocery store, and when I got back to the house, I realized they were actually from Seattle. I couldn’t believe it! :(

rhodeygirl August 2, 2010 at 9:23 am

Have so much fun on your babymoon!!!

Heather Eats Almond Butter August 2, 2010 at 6:20 pm

Thanks Sabrina! :)

Gina (@ Looking Forward) August 3, 2010 at 11:40 am

Love the Upper Penninsula…I went to College there (Michigan Tech!) I hope you enjoy your babymoon!

Quix August 3, 2010 at 3:59 pm

First of all, so jealous that you’re able to take a month long vacation. I think the longest I’ve taken in the last 5 years is 5 days. If I left work for a month, I would come back to the office and it would be in flames.

Glad you were able to roll with it. My go to on drives is Subway – at least it has veggies and lean meat – if I’m going to splurge on a burger or something, it is certainly not going to be nasty fast food, it’s totally not worth it.

We have a weekly lunch group at work called Luncheon Roulette. It’s got everything from gas station hot dogs to some really nice restaurants. The other week, it landed on Jack in the Box. I haven’t eaten fast food in about 4.5 years, but I rolled with it and got a chicken fajita pita and side salad – not the best meal I’ve had but not the most horrible either.

Heather Eats Almond Butter August 4, 2010 at 2:30 pm

Quix, Yes, Subway is always my #1 fast food of choice. I actually really like their sandwiches. I had a milkshake from Jack In The Box several years ago, and from what I remember, it was quite tasty. :)

Lara (Thinspired) August 3, 2010 at 7:32 pm

I never thought I’d see the day!
Heabie, I am both proud and impressed. I think every girl needs a little Mickey D’s now and then, and I love your spin on it :)

Heather Eats Almond Butter August 4, 2010 at 1:42 pm

Lara, Ha – me neither! Hope you are doing well. How did the Mad Men voting go?

{ 1 trackback }