Who Needs Artisana?!?

by HEAB on August 2, 2010

Hi pies (Erin, still missing you! ;) ) It’s a cool and rainy morning in Michigan today. We have the windows open, and there is a lovely breeze blowing off the lake. So, even though the sun isn’t shining, I can’t complain, and as much as I love my hometown of Nashville, I am not missing the heat AT ALL!

Yesterday, Chris and I walked around Fife Lake a bit, and then just spent the rest of the day being bums…well, after Chris ran 12 miles. It’s so nice to get in some R&R together. When I’m at home, I just can’t seem to sit still as there is always something to get done, but here, I have no qualms about just lying around and watching TV or reading a good book. I’m currently reading When Autumn Leaves , a book I borrowed from my friend, Kristin. It’s so good – thanks Kristin!

For dinner last night, I made a simple salad consisting of spinach, crumbled goat cheese, smoked oysters, and Hummy Mustard dressing (minus the stevia). I cannot handle raw oysters, but I loved the smoked ones, and thankfully for me, they are super high in iron.

After dinner, I made some of Averie’s Coconut Oil Protein Popcorn with a few dark chocolate chips thrown into the mix.

The best part of this popcorn is definitely the coconut oil/protein powder combo…it’s like chocolate coconut butter, and after a walk with the dogs this morning, I decided to make some for breakfast.

I melted about 1 TBSP of coconut oil (I like the Garden of LIfe brand) and stirred it together with 1 heaping TBSP of Jay Robb’s chocolate rice protein powder. I then spread it on 2 pieces of cherry pecan bread toast. Oh my, what a decadent tasting breakfast. The chocolate coconut butter reminds me a lot of Artisana’s Cacao Bliss, but with no added sugar. I can’t find Cacao Bliss in Nashville, but I no longer care as I think I like my homemade version better!

I’m going to get back to When Autumn Leaves and then do my workout later this morning. Today is strength training, and I already know I’m going to be sore tomorrow as I haven’t touched a dumbbell since January. Wish me luck!

Have you tried Artisana’s Cacao Bliss? If you can’t find it…or afford it, I encourage you to simply make your own. You can either try my version above, or if you’re not a fan of protein powder, try Chocolate Covered Katie’s version using cocoa powder and agave. So simple, yet so yummy!

Meg August 2, 2010 at 8:35 am

Ah good luck with your workout – I’m sure you and the little HEAB in there will kick booty! I’ve never had Artisana anything, actually, so I may try to make my own sooner or later :D with you + Katie’s inspiration, of course! Glad you and the husby are having a great time – enjoy the coolness while you can – it’s a scorcher here – YIKES! I’m sure Nashville is as well.

Have a great Monday!
Meg

Ilana August 2, 2010 at 8:36 am

aha I’ve been mixing coconut oil+cocoa powder+protein powder and eating it on top of apples for like a week now. SOOOO good!!

Heather Eats Almond Butter August 2, 2010 at 8:38 am

llana, Great minds think alike. I’m thinking of trying a vanilla version later today. :)

Little Bookworm August 2, 2010 at 8:37 am

Sounds like you are having a great time. I have never tried any Artisana but I have tried Katie’s Chocolate Butter recipe (using vegetable oil) and it is great! :)

ilovefetacheese August 2, 2010 at 8:41 am

Wow, the protein popcorn is such a great idea – I NEED to make this!!

Heather (Heather's Dish) August 2, 2010 at 8:46 am

you introduced me to homemade coconut butter…i’m totally making the chocolate version ASAP! it looks so shiny and delicious and yummy :)

Anna August 2, 2010 at 8:51 am

I’ve never tried their chocolate bliss– I have their coconut butter though. It’s good, but expensive!!! Your version looks mighty tasty :-)

Anya @ Fitness & Sunshine August 2, 2010 at 8:53 am

I love coconut butter with cacao powder sometimes, especially in smoothies for a tropical treat. :)

annecalista August 2, 2010 at 8:53 am

No, but I’m dying to try the stuff! Its so darn expensive.

couchpotatoathlete August 2, 2010 at 8:54 am

I have heard such good reviews of Cacoa Bliss — but I will definitely try your version first! Your choc/toast combo looks delicious.

Sarena (The Non-Dairy Queen) August 2, 2010 at 8:58 am

I haven’t tried it. I have been making my hemp cocoa powder fudgy bites and enjoying them lately. I love that stuff! I guess I am coming around on the chocolate bandwagon! I am so glad you are taking some time to relax for a while! Enjoy your day…I have a feeling you will!

gloriousgreens August 2, 2010 at 9:14 am

That breakfast looks wonderful.. I’m going to have to try that soon.

VeggieGirl August 2, 2010 at 9:17 am

I always found Artisana’s Cacao Bliss to be a little too dry… oh well.

Heather Eats Almond Butter August 2, 2010 at 6:43 pm

VG, Make your own with Jay Robb and melted coconut oil. I think you’ll love it!

Christina August 2, 2010 at 9:17 am

I have yet to try any coconut butter as I’m infatuated with Justin’s chocolate hazelnut butter :) I made banana oats and topped them with that squeeze packet of heaven for breakfast this morning. That’s what I call bliss.

I’m glad you are having fun on your baby moon!

p.s. I started Lindsey’s workouts – YOWZA. My legs are crying for mercy (in a really good way!). I started them a bit early (last Wednesday) to get a feel for it, and I can already see a difference in my body shape. People have been commenting that I look more ‘fit’ all weekend =D

Heather Eats Almond Butter August 2, 2010 at 6:56 pm

Christina, So happy to hear you’re enjoying the Justin’s hazelnut butter…have you tried his chocolate almond butter yet? That’s my fav! Also happy to hear you’re enjoying your workouts with Lindsey. I took it pretty easy on myself today, but I still think I’m going to be SORE tomorrow. However, I love feeling sore after a good workout! I think it’s awesome that you and others are already noticing a difference. That makes me smile. :)

healthdivaeats August 2, 2010 at 9:18 am

Ahhhhhhhhhhhhh this looks delish! I have seen the Artisana cacao bliss in the sotre but never tried it, I think making your version would def be better!!! Love it! Looks delish, I bet that would make a yummy pancake topping or oatmeal topping too!

Have a great workout, i bet you will suprise yourself and be able to kick butt!

Have a wonderful day! Yay for no heat, sounds like the weather there is beautiful!

Heather Eats Almond Butter August 2, 2010 at 6:53 pm

Heathdivaeats – yes, that chocolate coconut butter would be amazing as cupcake frosting. I also want to try it on ice-cream because the coconut oil would harden…just like Magic Shell. Yum, I used to love that stuff!

dorrybird August 2, 2010 at 9:20 am

Looks delicious!! Hope y’all enjoy every minute of your trip. :)

chocolate-covered katie August 2, 2010 at 9:31 am

Hahaha I miss Erin too!
And I want to eat that chocolate pool right off your screen.
Thank you so much for mentioning me; you really are too sweet. The only thing sweeter than you is… chocolate! :)

Katie August 2, 2010 at 9:41 am

Oysters…I can’t get into them. When I saw that photo, I thought it was dates on spinach with feta. Sounds kind of good, actually!

Heather Eats Almond Butter August 2, 2010 at 6:52 pm

Katie, I think your “date” salad would be delicious. Sweet and savory at its finest. :)

Liz @ Tip Top Shape August 2, 2010 at 9:42 am

Wonderful post! I’ve never heard of Artisana but your concoction looks pretty darn tasty :-D

Run Sarah August 2, 2010 at 9:55 am

I have yet to try Cacao bliss because of the hefty price tag here butI may have to try whipping up a batch of my own – it looks amazing!

Megan @ Healthy Hoggin' August 2, 2010 at 10:06 am

I’ve never tried Artisana’s Cacao Bliss, but I think I’m going to have to try that homemade version now! Holy cow, that looks delicious! I have some coconut butter sitting in my cabinet that’s just waiting to be devoured! ;)

I’m so jealous of that cherry pecan bread, too!

Heather Eats Almond Butter August 2, 2010 at 6:51 pm

Megan, Haha – you should be…that bread is amazing! ;)

bubblegumgymkat August 2, 2010 at 10:12 am

HOLY cow I need to make that popcorn like..NOW!!!! So yummy!

Mama Pea August 2, 2010 at 10:44 am

Protein cacao bliss? You are a genius! A beautiful genius.

Nicole August 2, 2010 at 10:51 am

Oh I ran out of coconut oil and now I want to go buy more. I keep seeing things on all your blogs that I want to go out and buy asap, but I’m on a budget people!!!
I can’t wait to hear all about your workout!

Heather Eats Almond Butter August 2, 2010 at 6:56 pm

Sorry Nicole…I have expensive foodie tastes…something I’m working on!

Mimi (Damn the Freshman 15) August 2, 2010 at 10:54 am

I’ve NEVER thought to use chocolate protein powder in the place of cocoa powder/agave. ZOMG you’ve rocked my world! I LOVE the taste of coconut oil chocolate sauce, but I’m really trying to avoid sugar right now, so this rocks…and it’s all pretty and proteiny! Perfect for midnight snacks.

http://tanyasdaily.blogspot.com/ August 2, 2010 at 11:01 am

it’s nice not to have to do anything…just relaxing and enjoying

Stephanie@ avocado nation August 2, 2010 at 11:21 am

Looks delicious! I have never had smoked oysters. How do they make them and where the heck do you find them?

Heather Eats Almond Butter August 2, 2010 at 6:50 pm

Stephanie, Smoked oysters are so easy and quite tasty if you ask me. You can find them in the canned meat section of any grocery store – next to the tuna, canned salmon, etc. They are usually canned in cottonseed oil (blech), and so I always rinse them with water and then drain the can. Hope you try some soon!

Averie (LoveVeggiesAndYoga) August 2, 2010 at 11:23 am

Hi Heather so glad you’re having a nice COOL morning and not missing the heat of TN…lord knows when you’re pregnant, the summer heat is not so much fun. Ugh!

Anyway, so glad you made my protein popcorn…for breakfast :) That’s the best time of the day to enjoy chocolate, but of course! I throw choc chips in mine too. That adds a nice little extra boost of chocolate. Can you tell I love my chocolate? haha!

Your protein powder spread looks lovely! I make coconut oil + agave + cocoa powder into all different kinds of things from raw vegan coconut oil chocolate to raw chocolate sauce to frosting but now I need to try it with my choco protein powder and see what that’s like compared to just using cocoa powder!

Oh the fun with choco experiments will continue…

Have a beautiful day, Heather!

Mary @ Bites and Bliss August 2, 2010 at 11:40 am

I wouldnt have missed the heat either..SO ready for Fall!!!

Tina August 2, 2010 at 12:02 pm

I have a really hard time just resting at home too. Especially when to do tasks seem to be glaring you in the face. Glad you are enjoying your time!

eatmovelove August 2, 2010 at 12:23 pm

Looks lovely. I’ve never been a fan really of Artisana, and can’t afford it, but your version looks try-worthy for me!

Annie D. @ Annie's Simple Life August 2, 2010 at 12:45 pm

All I can say is Holy yum… I’m now craving chocolate!!!

spoonfulofsugarfree August 2, 2010 at 1:24 pm

Man I just ran out of corn kernels! I’ve been wanting to make this, but I don’t really think my protein powder would taste good with it….

And I’ve never had artisana chocolate coconut butter. It’s too sweet and too expensive. I just make my own like katie.

glutenfreemuse August 2, 2010 at 1:31 pm

Yay Heather! I’m so glad you and the Hubby are getting some nice R&R :-) That homemade cacao bliss looks awesome! I don’t have the chocolate protein powder, so I might try Katie’s version but add in some protein powder :-) Keep having fun!

~Alyssa

plamarie August 2, 2010 at 1:40 pm

Such a great idea to mix the coconut oil and protein powder!! I am out of JayRob and miss it oh so much!

Laura August 2, 2010 at 1:46 pm

Oooooh, i live in a place called “Fife”. For a second i thought, OH MY GOODNESS, a bloggie is in my town!!!……only to then realise you are in Michigan, and i am in Scotland!! Booooo!!!!!! xx

Heather Eats Almond Butter August 2, 2010 at 6:47 pm

Laura, As much as I am enjoying Michigan, how I would love to be in Scotland – such a magical place! I love it there. :)

BroccoliHut August 2, 2010 at 2:22 pm

Ooh! This is genius! I have those two ingredients on hand almost all the time, so I will be making this faux Artisana spread ASAP.

Wendy August 2, 2010 at 2:28 pm

Oh my STARS, that novel looks awesome! How are you liking it so far??

Heather Eats Almond Butter August 2, 2010 at 6:46 pm

Wendy, *When Autumn Leaves* is really good. In fact, I’ve had a hard time putting it down, and I’m almost done. However, I don’t want it to end! :)

Jessica @ How Sweet August 2, 2010 at 2:37 pm

I have not been able to find cocoa bliss anywhere – I think I will be making my own!

http://tanyasdaily.blogspot.com/ August 2, 2010 at 2:47 pm

I want that popcorn

eatmovewrite August 2, 2010 at 3:11 pm

It has smoked oysters and you call it simple? Holy cow, who are you kidding? That’s so brilliant – why didn’t I think of that?!? :)

That spread looks a little like Nutella, which I adore with a passion.

Heather Eats Almond Butter August 2, 2010 at 6:45 pm

Eatmovewrite, Well, all I did was rinse and empty the smoked oysters from a can…pretty simple. ;) You should totally try the chocolate coconut butter – it was also very simple, and SO GOOD!

Emily August 2, 2010 at 3:34 pm

He ran 12 miles?! That’s crazy. Is he marathon training? I’m kinda considering running a half. But I’m scared.

Your homemade Artisana looks wonderful!

Heather Eats Almond Butter August 2, 2010 at 6:43 pm

Emily, Yeah, CD is pretty crazy but very dedicated. 12 miles is easy for him and doesn’t take him very long at all since he runs so fast. I totally think you should do the half. If I can run a half marathon, then anyone can do it, and it’s the most amazing feeling when you cross that finish line!

Can you believe I’ve been here for 2 days and have yet to eat any soft serve? So getting a big cone tomorrow! Hope you’re having a wonderful summer. :)

kaztronomic August 2, 2010 at 4:56 pm

That cool breeze sounds very refreshing. =)

I’ve never tried Artisana, but I definitely want to give your version of it a go. It looks like it would be delicious smeared upon some porridge or something. :D

glidingcalm August 2, 2010 at 5:29 pm

YUMO.

Maren @ Simply Maren August 2, 2010 at 6:54 pm

I love finding healthy and sneaky ways of getting chocolate at breakfast!

Fervent Foodie August 2, 2010 at 6:58 pm

That toast is droolworthy!

Rachael August 2, 2010 at 7:41 pm

Haven’t tried it yet, though I’ve loved all their other products. Black sesame seed tahini was hard to find too, but their brand is amazing. I’m on a black sesame seed quick these days – just posted about them, and while they don’t have all the qualities of chia seeds, they’re pretty darned nutritious!

Heather Eats Almond Butter August 3, 2010 at 8:06 am

Rachael, I’ve heard only good things about black sesame seeds, but never tried them myself. I’ve been meaning to make this for over a year now: http://www.choosingraw.com/raw-day-in-a-rush-mineral-rich-foods-for-a-busy-day/. Sounds amazing, no?

Lynn August 2, 2010 at 9:48 pm

Hey I’m so glad you are getting a chance to relax…there’s something to be said for just straight up chilling :D
I bought some cocconut oil the other day. Some one told me of a girl who ate a spoonful a day of it (straight I guess?) and it rid her of cystic acne. Since I had my son I’ve had break outs so I’ll pretty much try anything to get rid of it. I have yet to just eat this stuff though and I don’t really know what else to do w it. So it’s just sitting in my cabinet, intimidating me LOL! What all can I do with it? I know you guys use often, so I thought I’d hit you up for advice…no hurry though….enjoy that relaxing…..and some soft serve already!!

Heather Eats Almond Butter August 3, 2010 at 8:02 am

Lynn, I love roasting my vegetables in coconut oil. I’ll just put a few dabs (probably totaling 1 TBSP) of coconut oil on top of a big cast iron skillet full of veggies along with some salt and pepper and roast in a 425 degree oven for about 45 minutes, stirring once or twice. Yum!

I also love cooking my eggs in coconut oil as it makes them super fluffy.

Coconut oil also works great in smoothies, and adds just a hint of coconut which I love.

You can stir it into your oatmeal, or make Magic Shell and serve over ice cream: http://heathereatsalmondbutter.com/2009/04/12/cds-birthday-cake/.

Let’s see, what else? Oh my gosh, I love coconut oil on warm baked sweet potatoes or winter squash + salt and pepper for a savory version or cinnamon + stevia for more of a “dessert”.

It’s great on cinnamon toast and carrot fries: http://www.loveveggiesandyoga.com/2010/07/got-garmin-getting-tattoo-chocolate.html

Oh, and let’s not forget Averie’s amazing popcorn from this post: http://www.loveveggiesandyoga.com/2010/07/got-garmin-getting-tattoo-chocolate.html. I love it!

Enjoy. :)

kelsey@snackingsquirrel.com August 2, 2010 at 9:55 pm

can i get a ‘Heather’ in my kitchen? then i wouldnt need artisana for sure hehe <3

Heather Eats Almond Butter August 3, 2010 at 8:00 am

Kelsey, I’ll be right over. ;)

Mae August 2, 2010 at 10:34 pm

This post is brilliant!!! :) I can’t wait to try it.

Christina August 3, 2010 at 7:00 am

I haven’t tried the chocolate almond butter yet. I tried almond butter once – it was Trader Joe’s brand and…. I didn’t like it. ::ducks and hides:: But maybe I just tried the wrong brand? I should probably give Justin’s a shot.

Heather Eats Almond Butter August 3, 2010 at 7:42 am

Christina, No, I actually prefer Trader Joe’s over Justin’s – their roasted unsalted crunchy is one of my all-time favorites, and their roasted almond flaxseed butter is the BEST! Maybe you’re just not an AB kind of girl…that’s okay, I still love you. ;)

Kiersten August 3, 2010 at 7:18 am

Chocolate for breakfast? Sounds good to me!

Susan August 3, 2010 at 7:46 am

I’ve always wanted to try out smoked oysters but have been too scared. I bought a can of smoked mussels once and didn’t care for them, but I looooove smoked fish so maybe I should try them out :)

Awesome idea for the protein cocoa bliss! But what if you’re too cheap to even buy coconut oil? :P

Heather Eats Almond Butter August 3, 2010 at 7:55 am

Susan, I’m not a fan of mussels, but I LOVED smoked oysters. Try them! :)

If you’re too cheap to buy coconut oil, how about a little protein powder mixed with a TBSP or two of coconut milk? :)

kristin August 4, 2010 at 9:07 am

I’ve made my own chocolate with the coca and agave- sooo good! Also I pour it into a little dish and freeze it into chocolate squares. I also baked them into almond butter chocolate chip cookies once. They didn’t hold their shape, but still delicious! :) Looks like yall are having a blast! Feel lucky you aren’t in Nashville- its over 100 degrees today

Heather Eats Almond Butter August 4, 2010 at 1:01 pm

Kristin, Yes, I heard the weather is oppressive. I’m so sorry – I think you should make some frozen chocolate squares. :) Hope work is going well!!! Love, H.

Carly Morgan Gross January 7, 2013 at 4:29 pm

I make stuff like this all the time, but I never post it!! haha- thank you for posting even the simplest of things ;-) xo carly

{ 1 trackback }