Kitchen Creativity

by HEAB on August 5, 2010

First things first, yesterday’s Dairy Bar stop:

I skipped out on the soft serve for a cone filled with the highly recommended Moose Tracks ice-cream. There are a few different brands of Moose Tracks available in Nashville, but did you know that the flavor originated here in Michigan? When I found that out, I knew I must sample it – you know, for comparison’s sake. ;) Conclusion: It tastes like the Moose Tracks at home – delicious! Love the mini chocolate pb cups.

I promise I’m eating more than just ice-cream while we’re here. It’s always interesting cooking in a strange kitchen, and I like to think of it as an adventure. I’m not at home with my collection of spices or a wide variety of ingredients. In fact, the only seasonings the owner of our cottage seems to keep stocked is garlic powder…i think she has 5 containers of it in the cabinet, and no cinnamon. Kind of bummed about that one. Oh well, again, I look at cooking with minimal ingredients to be a fun challenge. Also, we’re about 25 miles away from the nearest decent grocery store, and so it’s not like I can run up the street for whatever I need – ha, that will teach me not to go grocery shopping 27 times in one month!

Here is a picture of the cottage we rented…

It’s tiny but perfect for me, CD, and the pups, and I love the lake view!

Anyway, back to the kitchen. For last night’s dinner, I combined a few simple ingredients to make a really yummy meal.

First I sauteed some sliced mushrooms and 1 onion in a little butter with salt, pepper, and of course, garlic powder. Once the vegetables began to brown, I added some diced leftover chicken breast and a few squirts of Dijon mustard to the skillet. Once the chicken was warmed, I topped my dish off with some crumbled goat cheese, and enjoyed a lovely dinner with my husband out on the deck. I love sauteed onions and mushrooms.

I kept yesterday’s exercise to a minimum since I was pretty sore from my strength training and cardio metabolic circuit. I took the dogs on a 45 minute walk and then took it pretty easy the rest of the day. Lindsey has me doing 1 session of strength training and 2 sessions of metabolic circuits every week and then suggested I fill the rest of my days with walking and yoga. So, I think today will consist of another walk and maybe some yogi squats and a few hip openers.

Have you ever had to cook in someone else’s kitchen, and do you consider cinnamon a staple in your own kitchen?!?

If you get a chance, please check out my podcast interview over at Two Fit Chicks And A Microphone. I was honored to discuss food blogging and summer food with two amazing ladies, Dietgirl and Mizfit.

2fc.gif

VeggieGirl August 5, 2010 at 10:53 am

Yeah okay, I’m coming to Dairy Bar with you next time.

Ellen @ Undercover Runner Eats August 5, 2010 at 10:56 am

Cinnamon is definitely a staple. I need it for my oatmeal every day!

Danielle August 5, 2010 at 10:56 am

Ice cream again?! Where is the spectacular Dairy Bar you speak of? I must go immediately. Perhaps I’ll see you there ;)

Heather Eats Almond Butter August 5, 2010 at 11:41 am

Danielle, Fife Lake, Michigan. CD and I will probably be there after dinner tonight. So, see you soon? ;)

dorrybird August 5, 2010 at 10:57 am

Cinnamon is SO incredibly important to me. I once stayed at a house with no cinnamon and used a cinnamon stick to flavor my oats…AND I’ve been known to carry my own small cinnamon container with me. I think I shocked Billy the 1st time I whipped it out at a restaurant.

Heather Eats Almond Butter August 5, 2010 at 11:50 am

Dorry, Haha – I love that you used your own cinnamon supply when dining out. So something I would do…and I’m sure CD would be just as shocked as Billy. ;)

sweetersalt August 5, 2010 at 10:59 am

What an adorable cabin! Love the clock and stone chimney. Cinnamon I’m indeed a fan of, but I think I would go cuh-razy without cumin. I seem to use it all the time!

Laura

Brandi August 5, 2010 at 11:01 am

yum. moose tracks.

Do you have a Kroger in Nashville? The Kroger brand makes a MINT moose tracks ice cream in pints. Vanilla ice cream with chocolate ribbons, mint and mini MINT cups instead of pb. Delicious.

I love that cottage! Such a perfect place for a babymoon :)

Heather Eats Almond Butter August 5, 2010 at 11:49 am

Brandi, Yes, Kroger is my grocery store of choice in Nashville, and I had no idea they sold a mint moose tracks…and in a pint! Oh my gosh, will definitely be buying some of that when I get home!

Tina August 5, 2010 at 11:04 am

Mmm the icecream looks great. So do the mushrooms and onions. I love those sauteed up too!

Glad you are liking Lindsey’s plan. It sounds like a great one.

Sarena (The Non-Dairy Queen) August 5, 2010 at 11:05 am

The cottage is adorable! I hope Tony and I get to do that kind of thing later when our kids get older. Never feel like you need to justify the ice cream. I think you have covered all the food groups in the Moose Tracks! Glad you are having a good time!

Heather August 5, 2010 at 11:09 am

Oh man-I use cinnamon every.single.day. And LOTS of it-i buy a container every week!
Yeah, I’ve had to use someone else’s kitchen before. When we lived in Colorado we were evacuated b/c of a huge forest fire.
Thankfully we knew someone (from Michigan!) Who had a summer cabin they let us use.
I never figured out how to unlock the oven door! So, it was all stovetop and microwave meals for 2 weeks!

Averie (LoveVeggiesAndYoga) August 5, 2010 at 11:09 am

Love the cabin/cottage and lake scene…that is SO perfectly Michigan and perfect for what you guys need. When we used to live in Chicago (where Scott’s from) we used to do weekend bed & breakfast trips to MI and stay at some quaint little places and this totally reminds me of that. I am sooo happy for you guys!!!!

And this lack of running to the store every day stuff…just preparation for HEABlet when you absolutely will not want to or cannot go…you just cannot bundle up a baby every time you need nut butter…you just figure out what to do instead type of thing :)

Enjoy your day!!!!

Jill August 5, 2010 at 11:17 am

We need a dairy bar in Nashville!!! I would be there every day sampling too! Sounds like the cabin owner is either Italian or polish. Most of Michigan reeks of garlic…it is my staple in the kitchen. I have not used cinnamon much – probably have the same bottle since late 1990′s. But garlic, I go through about 1 jar of minced every 2-3 months…and yes, garlic powder is a must!

BTW, Lindsey has me doing 3x a week of strength. I had to pare it down to 2 because I was so sore on Monday. Whew…now I know my weakness.

Lisa August 5, 2010 at 11:23 am

Cinnamon is necessary—-I use it everyday! Now that I know it regulates insulin (prevents blood sugar spikes, or at least moderates it), I use it liberally. Have not tried seasoning meat with cinnamon…yet!
Looks like you’re having a great time, and the ice cream looks fab!

Claire August 5, 2010 at 11:23 am

I love your cottage!!It looks sooo relaxing.I use cinnamon everyday.It is good in so many things:-)cc

Scott in Ohio August 5, 2010 at 11:24 am

Those little local ice cream stands are the best, aren’t they? Any chance they have gluten free cones? haha

You and CD picked a great lake house, for sure. Nice to hear you’re taking advantage of it by having a relaxing dinner on the deck. Savor those times, my friend. ;-)

Heather Eats Almond Butter August 5, 2010 at 11:47 am

Scott, Nope, definitely no gluten free cones, but you could always order a cup. Not as fun, but that only means you can order more ice-cream! ;)

Taylor August 5, 2010 at 11:25 am

i hate cooking in other people’s kitchens. i never know where anything is! and YES CINNAMON IS A STAPLE. Without cinnamon, how can I have pumpkin pie in a bowl? or apple cinnamon oats? HOW?!

Talia August 5, 2010 at 11:31 am

That cottage is adorable! I think your “babymoon” is such a fantastic idea!

Gosh, I think I need to run an extra 30 minutes just LOOKING at that ice cream cone! It looks so so so good! A;so, YES, cinnamon is a staple in my kitchen (and sometimes I take it with me on roadtrips to mix with my Greek yogurt that I pack in a cooler)

I’m going to listen to your podcast now! :)

Justine August 5, 2010 at 11:32 am

Cinnamon is, of course, a staple in my kitchen! I love it. :)

Now that I am not living in my parent’s house anymore, it is even strange to cook in their kitchen but at least I know where everything is. I have house sat for my Aunts a couple of times and am a little more at home in their kitchen than I used to be. It is very much like an adventure to cook in other kitchens, but usually a fun one.

Gorgeous cottage, by the way!

Sarah R August 5, 2010 at 11:35 am

So the Dairy Bary doesn’t have peanut butter soft serve, but the Moose Tracks had mini peanut butter cups in it? I guess there is hope for the peanut butter lovers! You should see the giant container of cinnamon in my cabinet. I plan on never running out of it!

Heather Eats Almond Butter August 5, 2010 at 11:45 am

Sarah, I actually noticed last night that the list of soft serve flavors I posted yesterday is simply a list of the Dairy Bar’s new flavors in addition to their original 24 flavors…which includes peanut butter. I think I have died and gone to heaven! ;)

Shauna August 5, 2010 at 11:39 am

Thanks again for chatting to us Heather! Now I’ve seen a pic of this famous Moose Tracks ice cream I’m away to the travel agents ;)

Heather Eats Almond Butter August 5, 2010 at 11:43 am

Shauna, I know – and I didn’t think about the fact that I mentioned Moose Tracks on the podcast. That ice-cream was just meant to be, and yes, you must come to the U.S. soon and try it! :) Thanks again for interviewing me – I had a great time talking to both you and Miz!

Talia (Texas Gunslinger) August 5, 2010 at 11:39 am

Heather, you’re adorable!

Your podcast interview was great! ♥’ed it:)

Heather Eats Almond Butter August 5, 2010 at 11:42 am

Thanks Talia. :)

runningaroundnormal August 5, 2010 at 11:40 am

That cottage and view looks so cute and beautiful! What a relaxing and wonderful week. I def consider cinnamon a staple spice, but I tend to use it more in the winter!

Kelly August 5, 2010 at 12:01 pm

That cottage looks perfect!

julie August 5, 2010 at 12:01 pm

gaah don’t you LOVE when goat cheese gets all melty-ish but not TOO melty when you top something semi-warm with it! mmmm :)

cinnamon is SO a staple in my every move haha

Heather Eats Almond Butter August 5, 2010 at 12:36 pm

Julie, Regarding the goat cheese, YES! :)

Little Bookworm August 5, 2010 at 12:05 pm

That ice cream looks amazing (never heard of Moose Tracks ice cream before)! Great interview podcast! :)

Heather August 5, 2010 at 12:11 pm

it’s so hard cooking in someone else’s kitchen! and cinnamon is definitely a staple for me in the winter time :)

http://tanyasdaily.blogspot.com/ August 5, 2010 at 12:14 pm

it’s not easy working in anothers kitchen….you can’t find what you always need.
Your ice cream choice looks perfect!

Jennifer (take the day off) August 5, 2010 at 12:14 pm

cinnamon is right up there with salt & pepper–I totally would expect it to be in even a sparsly stocked kitchen

Lara (Thinspired) August 5, 2010 at 12:22 pm

Nice choice, Heabie. I discovered Moosetracks a few months ago and have been having a secret love affair with it ever since. The peanut butter cups make it extra special :)

I LOVE the cottage! What a perfect little place for you guys to snuggle up and relax.

What is it about mushrooms and onions that has my heart? Your dish looks delicious, even if it doesn’t have cinnamon ;)

Christina @ ilovefetacheese August 5, 2010 at 12:26 pm

*drools* ice cream looks sooooooo good.

jenna August 5, 2010 at 12:31 pm

yes, cinnamon is a staple…so strange she has a million garlic powders! ha! I love that you all are staying in a cottage! so simple and sweet! a perfect get away! How did you find it?

Are you craving anything crazy since being pregnant?

Heather Eats Almond Butter August 5, 2010 at 12:56 pm

Jenna, The crazy cravings came in the first trimester – Pop-tarts, cereal, Arby’s and cheese. Still on a cheese kick, but thankfully, I no longer want the Pop-Tarts! Although, I still dream of Arby’s almost daily. Hehe. :)

I think CD found this particular cottage on VRBO.com.

eatmovelove August 5, 2010 at 12:36 pm

I love cinnamon – in oatmeal, cookies, tea, hot chocolate…

My God – that picture needs to come with a warning! Amazingness! I used to eat Moose Tracks alot where I once lived, but it’s not in any of the stores here….actually the stores here suck. They’re your basic food stores :( …- no fun/specialty items…definitely no organics…not a place for health nuts that’s for sure. But I guess it saves me money ?…maybe? ;)

I love mushrooms too – on a big kick lately. Do you just randomnly throw your vegetables, etc together or do you measure that out even? To me vegetables have NO “serving” size LOL…which is good and bad for the tum.

Heather Eats Almond Butter August 5, 2010 at 12:54 pm

Eatmovelove, Never measure my veggies…just throw them in at random and usually end up overflowing my skillet. :)

couchpotatoathlete August 5, 2010 at 12:50 pm

I consider cinnamon a staple — I use it almost every day!

That ice cream is awesome. I am so jealous!!!

I remember cooking in my husband’s house for the first time. He was still at work and I remember I looked in every cupboard and drawer looking for things: a wooden spoon, salt and pepper, a can opener (!), etc. After I moved in that was one of the first things I did: arranged the kitchen the way I wanted it to be!

fitnessandsunshine August 5, 2010 at 12:54 pm

I would LOVE to stay in a cabin, or even live in one. ;) I love natural settings. Good to see you’re having a good time. :)

caronae August 5, 2010 at 12:57 pm

I’m so glad you tried it! Fun fact: my friend’s old next door neighbor (in MI) invented moose tracks! It is such a great MI tradition. Do they have blue moon flavor there?

Can’t wait to hear more about your trip; making me miss my home state a lot. :(

Heather Eats Almond Butter August 5, 2010 at 1:01 pm

Caronae, Really? So cool – wish I would have thought to invent Moose Tracks as it’s rather brilliant! :)

Yes, the Dairy Bar has Blue Moon, and I asked the owner what it was. His response was it’s the blue almond part of Superman. Huh?!?

40apples August 5, 2010 at 1:01 pm

The cabin looks just perfect :)
I for sure consider cinnamon a kitchen staple! I use it all the time, even in dinners – like last night’s http://wp.me/pZLfg-6s.
Cooking in another kitchen – especially an under-stocked cabin kitchen – can certainly be a challenge. However it can be a good opportunity to find and use really fresh, local, in-season stuff – and let their flavors stand on their own. Or just come up with totally weird dishes ;)

p.s. checked out the podcast – it was great!

Laura August 5, 2010 at 1:19 pm

That cottage is SOOOOO cute!! So picturesque, and just…..awww sooo lovely!!!! Perfect getaway!!!
That ice cream looks pretty damn tasty too xx

kristin August 5, 2010 at 1:27 pm

cinnamon for sure! plus oregano and chili powder- people are always amazed to see we have 2 shelves dedicated to spices. dinner looks delicious and easy! ill have to make it for me and kevin one night

kaitlinwithhoney August 5, 2010 at 1:48 pm

Cooking in someone elses’ kitchen is always tough! It’s weird to realize that something you consider an absolute staple – like cinnamon, for SURE! – is something someone else doesn’t even deem necessary for the kitchen cabinet.

Katie August 5, 2010 at 1:50 pm

That ice cream picture just sent me on an hour long internet search for dairy free moose tracks recipes, followed by ice cream recipes in general, which all culminated in me ordering a couple vegan ice cream cookbooks.

If they work out, I will be crediting your photo! Thanks!

Heather Eats Almond Butter August 5, 2010 at 3:59 pm

Katie, Haha – and that is why I love you so! :)

Megan (Braise The Roof) August 5, 2010 at 1:50 pm

Ohh Moose Tracks. I can’t be trusted around that stuff!

I don’t use that much cinnamon, but I have to have hot spices (like chili powder and chili flakes) in my pantry at all times! (and garlic salt ;) )

lindsay August 5, 2010 at 1:54 pm

I know, its always fun/strange cooking in other kitchens. You have to get creative, thats for sure. There’s always a lack of seasonings and you don’t want to buy a whole jar of garlic powder or black pepper just for one trip! That when I use a lot of fresh herbs, etc. Have a wonderful, relaxing time!

homecookedem August 5, 2010 at 2:04 pm

What an adorable cottage!! It looks so perfect!! :)

Mary @ Bites and Bliss August 5, 2010 at 2:06 pm

Moose tracks is my all time favorite!! The PB cups are the best part :D

Christie {Honoring Health} August 5, 2010 at 2:11 pm

I do consider cinnamon a staple. In fact, I buy it in bulk on Amazon.

I heard your interview on the podcast this morning. That isn’t what I thought you would sound like. Isn’t that funny how you imagine what the voices of the blogs you read everyday sound like? Anyway, I thought it was great and loved that you said you love hot dogs :D

Heather Eats Almond Butter August 5, 2010 at 4:06 pm

Christie, No shame in my love for hot dogs. :) Thanks so much for listening. Now, will you please send me some cinnamon! ;)

kaztronomic August 5, 2010 at 2:18 pm

Your dinner looks really good! I love onions and mushrooms together.

Cooking in somebody else’s kitchen always feels so weird, like I’m invading their privacy or something — I feel like my kitchen is one of the most personal places in my house, so I guess that’s where I get that notion. Cinnamon is definitely a staple — let’s just say I buy it in the bulk bins and have to keep buying more every couple weeks. :D

Heather Eats Almond Butter August 5, 2010 at 4:15 pm

Kaz, I feel the same way about my kitchen – it’s my sanctuary.

charlotte August 5, 2010 at 2:23 pm

Love moosetracks, love your cute lil’ cabin and LOVED you on MizFit’s podcasts! Now I’m craving ice cream…

And I have to say that if left to my own devices, I’d be at the grocery store nearly every day too:)

Christina August 5, 2010 at 2:40 pm

A kitchen without cinnamon? You might as well leave out the stove too :P

I have cinnamon every day. I love it’s versatility – sweet or savory – it’s a gift from the gods :)

That cottage is so adorable! What a great place for a baby moon.

Emily August 5, 2010 at 2:44 pm

so glad you are enjoying my home state, heather! MI is really a wonderful place. :-)

Heather Eats Almond Butter August 5, 2010 at 4:14 pm

Emily, Yes it is! :)

Helena August 5, 2010 at 3:16 pm

Thank you for such a wonderful blog! You are very inspiring and I’m happy you are now enjoying your pregnancy.

Just a question, do you and CD always eat different meals? and how are you going to do that when your little girl gets older?

I’m not trying to questioning you or anything. The reason I’m wondering is because my husband and I eat together, but we each cook our own meals and I don’t know how long that will be possible once our son gets older. It’s not very time efficient (kids take time!), but I also think it would seem strange to him.

What’s your opinion on this matter?

Heather Eats Almond Butter August 5, 2010 at 4:14 pm

Helena, CD and I often eat different meals for breakfast and lunch, but dinners usually involve the same vegetables but perhaps with different toppings. Chris loves his beef, and although I do eat meat, I don’t eat it as often as he does. Plus, he doesn’t like chicken which I love. So, we’re like you and your husband, both in the kitchen cooking our own favorite things a lot of nights, but we always try and eat together. I imagine when our little girl gets older, we’ll just feed her the same things we eat – lots of veggies and then whatever meat or other side she wants. Sometimes, I skip the meat altogether and add an avocado or some type of egg concoction to my veggies. All I know is that I will not be cooking 3 different meals for 3 different people. No thanks! I’m really curious to see what our little girl will want to eat – hope she’s not too picky! Hope this helps and thanks so much for reading my blog. :)

glutenfreemuse August 5, 2010 at 3:25 pm

That Dairy Bar would defeat me!!! Looks so tasty :-) I really don’t use as much cinnamon as I used to, but I think I will throw it in with my veggies tonight and see what happens :-) Give it a little Morroccan kick!

Enjoy the rest of your babymoon!

~Alyssa

eatmovewrite August 5, 2010 at 3:31 pm

I hate cooking in other people’s kitchens, but worse than that, I cannot handle someone else cooking in MY kitchen. Can you say “control freak?” :)

Heather Eats Almond Butter August 5, 2010 at 4:08 pm

Eatmovewrite, From one control freak to another…I’m the same way! :)

livingfreeforever August 5, 2010 at 3:51 pm

The house we stayed at in Florida belongs to some friends from church–so, yeah, I have cooked in someone else’s kitchen just last week :) It is weird, but I loved having a dish washer because I don’t have one at home! That cottage is so cute and the view looks amazing!

Moose Tracks is my kids favorite ice cream!! I’m always asking them ‘don’t you want something different’ and they say ‘nah’.

S August 5, 2010 at 3:54 pm

I’m so with you on the distance from grocery store thing–when I go to my dad’s country house, it’s the same deal. And at home, I’m only 1km from a grocery (two, actually…) so popping out for whatever is second nature–until you’re 45 minutes away, right? :)

Heather Eats Almond Butter August 5, 2010 at 4:07 pm

S, Yes, I totally take it for granted that I’m only about 3 miles from both Trader Joe’s and Whole Foods when at home!

Katheryn August 5, 2010 at 4:00 pm

When we vacation we usually rent a house, so I’ve cooked in lots of different kitchens. Some have been stocked well, others not at all. Unless I’m flying I always fill one shopping bag full of stuff from my own pantry. Cinnamon is always in the bag!

BTW, you look cute in your swim suit. I loved my pregnant belly. My two pregnancies were the only two times I haven’t been self-conscience about my body.

Heather Eats Almond Butter August 5, 2010 at 4:02 pm

Katheryn, I will definitely be packing my own cinnamon next time! And yes, love my pregnant belly – so nice not to have to suck anything in. ;)

ladybugbeauty August 5, 2010 at 4:03 pm

Oh my gosh that ice cream looks scrummy – educate your kiwi buddy, what is Moose Tracks flavour? (By the way I’d love to see a REAL moose :0) )

Your wee house is soooo cute, it looks heavenly.

Heather Eats Almond Butter August 5, 2010 at 4:05 pm

Ladybug, Moose Tracks is a brilliant combination of vanilla ice-cream with a fudge swirl and mini chocolate peanut butter cups. Definitely scrummy! :)

Carbzilla August 5, 2010 at 4:42 pm

That’s our kinda cottage. The snugger, the better. Now we just need big jobs so we can buy one!

Moose Tracks and Tin Roof Sundae are the two best flavors in the world!!!!!

vanillasugar August 5, 2010 at 4:44 pm

that Beck song: Ten turntables and a microphone started playing in my head when I read two fit chicks and a microphone!!!!

was that a large ice cream cone? why can’t we have places like that here? we have crappy tourist traps that call a scoop a LARGE. whats up with that?

Heather Eats Almond Butter August 6, 2010 at 8:24 am

Vanillasugar, Ha, I love Beck, and no that was a medium cone. Only cost me $2 too! Yes, more states need to catch on to the MI serving sizes. ;)

Stephanie@ avocado nation August 5, 2010 at 5:26 pm

I love that Moose Tracks ice cream! Yum!

I hear you on the grocery store. When I lived in NYC I would go grocery shopping all the time because you pass fabulous little stores while you’re walking home from work. Now that I live somewhere that requires driving, I have had to curb that. So sad. :-(

A Teenage Gourmet August 5, 2010 at 6:05 pm

I’m such a fan of Moose Tracks! I discovered it in Montana, along with huckleberries. :) It’s definitely a favorite. I remember it with mini PB cups as well.

Ladybugbeauty - Lorne August 5, 2010 at 6:14 pm

Heather, vanilla and fudge sounds delic but I have a confession ;0) … I am uneducated in the world of peanut butter and chocolate. I once tried 1/2 a Reeces P/B cup and just couldn’t do the rest.

Am I missing something good?

Heather Eats Almond Butter August 6, 2010 at 8:29 am
Nicole August 5, 2010 at 6:49 pm

Moose Tracks is my absolute favorite ice cream flavor. I haven’t had it in YEARS. So good!!
And yes cinnamon is definitely a must have in my house. I use it every day. I think I would have already made my 25 mile trek to the store by now…lol

Ana August 5, 2010 at 7:29 pm

Omg, ice cream looks amazingly good Heather! And the cottage is lovely!
I cooked in a different kitchen when we stayed in Tuscany on our trip, I also thought it was fun and an adventure to use such small choices of flavorings to cook with. There was nothing in the house we stayed so we had to go out and buy everything, and since we stayed for only 6 full days we could not buy too much and have stuff leftover, especially refrigerated items (plus we also kept non-perishables to a minimum as we didn’t want to use up space in our luggage with leftover food!).
To cook our meals I bought a small pack of individual pats of butter, that way we had something to cook/sautee our meat and veggies, and also something to spread on bread. I wanted to buy olive oil but the bottles were too big… Then we would buy chicken and meat on the day we ate and only how much we ate, same thing with pasta and pasta sauce and other things. I did buy a small container of salt, and my sister ended up taking it back with her (she was happy to do it, she didn’t have any at her apartment back where she was living!), but no pepper and no other condiments. The fun thing was when we found many bushes of rosemary at the back of the apartment near the pool, we were so happy! We added it to pasta and veggies and it was good.
It was a very limited seasoning experience, but with the fresh ingredients we found in Italy there wasn’t much need to embellishment, the produce was so good that the salt was plenty.
Plus I have to say, you don’t need much more than butter and salt to make chicken and veggies taste delicious, man I love butter!!

Heather Eats Almond Butter August 6, 2010 at 8:34 am

Ana – agreed. Our fridge is stocked with butter, and there is plenty of salt and pepper. We’ll be fine. :)

Katrina (gluten free gidget) August 5, 2010 at 8:13 pm

Cinnamon is one of my number 1 ingredients! When I travel, I have been known to take a small container with me in my carry-on!

Diana August 5, 2010 at 8:31 pm

That ice cream…. AHHHH! <3
I can't live without cinnamon, especially in my green smoothies and breakfast oats. I shake the life outta that container :P

Deb (SmoothieGirlEatsToo) August 5, 2010 at 8:48 pm

Hi Heabie and Heablet! I went back and got caught up on nearly all of your recent posts that I missed so now my life is complete. I was wondering why there was deafening silence from you via email, and then *doink* I remembered your trip to the lakes!! Soooo excited for you.

We LOVE LOVE LOVE to stay in self-cater places and just make due with whatever the rentals have. I guess I’m good with just plain old S&P. Sadly, we usually go shopping before checking out our digs, buy stuff that I consider non-negotiable (like balsamic vinegar at $10 a bottle) then come back to discover 2 bottles already there. grr.

Kudos to you for not bringing your v-mix. I did that once and it backfired on me. You seem to be eating so sensibly since you got pregnant- and that is a compliment– you are feeding your cravings, no matter what the calories may or may not be: veggies, chocolate, whatever. And you look amazing. The bathing suit shot- wow. I had a lot of ‘food envy’ going back over your recent posts.

Have a wonderful time- I think this is just the beginning of your trip- I’ll check back in- love love love to you and CD and the pups and Heablet. (I guess we don’t know if it’s Heablet or Heabletta?) :-D

Heather Eats Almond Butter August 6, 2010 at 8:32 am

Deb, It’s a girl. :)

Miss you so much, and I’m so happy to hear you are home safe. When is Allie coming to visit? So wish I could be there with the two of you, but we are having a great time in Michigan. It was so cool this morning that I had to wear a fleece. Love it.

Internet is limited, and I have to walk up to the library to blog and check email everyday, but stay in touch. Again, MISS YOU…even more than I miss my Vita-Mix. :)

Melissa @ TryingToHeal August 5, 2010 at 9:31 pm

ok, i need to get to the diary bar. you’re taunting is just cruel.

overnight me some? haha…i guess it would have to be faster than over night though, huh?

Heather Eats Almond Butter August 6, 2010 at 8:30 am

Melissa, I totally would if I could! :)

Danielle (Runs on Green) August 5, 2010 at 10:19 pm

Seriously, I need to banish myself to a cottage…my grocery shopping is getting ridic lol. But it looks like such a cute place & I’m glad you’re enjoying it!

Cinnamon is most definitely a staple in my kitchen. As well as soy sauce (random…but true)!

Erika August 6, 2010 at 8:22 am

Cool! I am going to check out the video right now….

Freckled Foodie August 6, 2010 at 12:28 pm

excellent choice at the db :) the heablet is going to LOVE her chocolate!

Susan August 7, 2010 at 7:56 pm

Did not know that about moose tracks ice cream!! It’s my second favourite flavour – chocolate chip cookie dough is first ;)

Cinnamon is a MUST!!!