Michigan Oats

by HEAB on August 7, 2010

Got an early start this morning. A certain dog woke me up at 5 AM to go outside, and it was in the 40′s – Brrr!!! Yeah, that was a bit of a shock seeing as I was clad in nothing but boxers, a T-shirt, and no shoes. By the time we came back inside I was shivering and wide awake. So, I read until the sun came up and then took the dogs on a 45-minute walk followed by 20 minutes of strength training when I got home. By the time I sat down to breakfast at 8 AM, I was hangry!

However, before I get to this morning’s delicious breakfast, I must share yesterday’s Dairy Bar trip with you. Please tell me if you get sick of hearing about my ice-cream intake while on this trip. ;)

Caronae, this sample of Blue Moon ice-cream was for you.

The color frightened me a bit, but I know it’s a Michigan specialty and therefore wanted to try it. It was odd, and I can’t quite describe the flavor…kind of like almond ice-cream with a fruity twist? As far as Michigan flavors go, I think I prefer Moose Tracks. :)

I settled on a Caramel Pecan Cheesecake soft serve cone, but it was a bit too sweet for me. Still tasty though.

OK, back to breakfast…I’ve been enjoying chia oatmeal almost every morning this week. Let’s see, this first overflowing bowl of yumminess consisted of 1/2 cup rolled oats cooked with 1 cup water. I then added 1 cup additional water, 3/4 scoop Jay Robb’s vanilla rice protein powder, 1 TBSP coconut oil, and 2 TBSP chia seeds. I allowed my oats to thicken for about 15 minutes and then topped them with a ripe peach. This breakfast kept me full for hours – love that!

Then I tried a different method for making my protein chia oats.

Overnight Protein Chia Oats

For the overnight oats, I simply stirred together 1/2 cup old fashioned oats with 1 cup water, and 2 TBSP chia seeds, and placed the bowl the fridge overnight. The next morning, I stirred in 3/4 scoop Jay Robb’s chocolate rice protein powder and topped it all off with a big blob of Trader Joe’s unsalted crunchy peanut butter. I love the texture of uncooked rolled oats.

I so enjoyed yesterday’s breakfast that last night, I decided to make it again, and placed my overnight oats in the fridge. Kind of regretting that decision when I woke up to such cold temps, but by the time I finished lifting weights, I didn’t care if my breakfast was hot or cold. I just wanted to eat. So, I added 3/4 scoop Jay Robb’s chocolate rice protein powder to the bowl and then topped it off with some Magic Shell.

For the Magic Shell, I simply made my chocolate coconut butter, poured it on my oats, and then allowed it to harden in the fridge for few minutes. Do you think the original Magic Shell uses unrefined coconut oil as its hardening agent? I’m thinking probably not. ;)

Were you a fan of Magic Shell back in the day? I used to love that stuff!

It All Changes August 7, 2010 at 7:22 am

The blue ice cream reminds me of the cotton candy flavor I loved as a kid.

My grandparents used to live in Michigan and I loved the old-fashioned ice cream parlor with butter pecan where a small was the size of a soft ball. Made my year as a kid!

Jessica @ How Sweet August 7, 2010 at 7:30 am

Moose Tracks is the best! I certainly had my share of that this past week.

Sarena (The Non-Dairy Queen) August 7, 2010 at 7:32 am

I think I have only had Magic Shell maybe once in my life. Your oats look delicious as always! Yikes! That is chilly! Our critters woke us up early too…there must be something in the air! Enjoy your day!

Evan Thomas August 7, 2010 at 7:32 am

I love using coconut oil as a magic shell. I really want to try to replicate the Dairy Queen cherry dip using coconut oil. I can’t believe I ate those regularly growing up and didn’t have a heart attack…

VeggieGirl August 7, 2010 at 7:33 am

YEEEEEES I loved Magic Shell :-D

Heather August 7, 2010 at 7:38 am

I liked the butterscotch-flavored magic shell as a kid :)
Wonder how you could heabify that….without dairy?? :D

Heather Eats Almond Butter August 7, 2010 at 7:40 am

Heather, I don’t know about that one, but I’m always up for a good challenge. How about coconut oil, vanilla rice protein powder, and butterscotch extract? :)

Gina August 7, 2010 at 7:42 am

I still love magic shell – the soft serve ice cream place near us (which also has tons of cool flavors) has a peanut butter magic shell, which is sooooo good on their german chocolate soft serve. Which I’ve only eaten twice now this summer, which is pretty good for me! ;-)

Nicole @ yuppieyogini.com August 7, 2010 at 7:47 am

Wow–carmel cheesecake sound INTENSE! Yum!

Fallon August 7, 2010 at 8:21 am

I love your ice cream escapades! I love ice cream, so I’m glad someone is able to enjoy it everyday :)

Meg August 7, 2010 at 8:28 am

WOW blue ice cream!? That tastes like a fruity almond? That’s one of a kind right there ;) I think I’d go with Moose Tracks instead, though, too :P But here’s to being adventurous! Speaking of adventurous – 40 degrees? Yikes, that’s certainly a bit chilly for August I’d say.

Breakfast looks awesome! I have chia seeds, but they never seem to really gel up correctly for me :( but I still eat them for the health benefits and gooeyness! I loved Magic Shell as a child, if only someone introduced me to YOUR version of it ;)

Enjoy your day Heather!

http://tanyasdaily.blogspot.com/ August 7, 2010 at 8:35 am

that magic shell great idea
I have never seen such BLUE icecream…scared my teeth would never be white again!
you made a good choice ,anything in cheesecake..yum!

fartygirl August 7, 2010 at 9:36 am

I loooove overnight oats! So easy! Just started doing the shell trick with coconut oil too. For breakfast yesterday, I pulled some leftover gluten free breakfast bread out of the fridge. I nuked coconut oil and chocolate and stevia and poured it over top. The result – chocolate coated cake. Pretty decadent. But aside from the pumpkin in the breakfast bread, it was sugar free. :)

Jumping off what Tanya said – how blue was your mouth after nomming on that windex blizzard??? :)

Heather Eats Almond Butter August 8, 2010 at 7:34 am

Fartygrrl, Chocolate coated cake for breakfast? Sounds good to me! The Windex Blizzard – Ha! Thankfully, my mouth didn’t turn blue after just one bite, but I’m sure I would have had Windex mouth all day had I eaten a whole cone of the stuff. ;)

Marina August 7, 2010 at 9:44 am

I used to have some kind of blue ice cream all the time when I was a kid! :D It made my tongue blue, and tasted like a chewing gum.
The cheesecake caramel one sounds delicious though!

Run Sarah August 7, 2010 at 9:45 am

I love been loving fresh peaches and oatmeal lately as well. I’ve actually never tried Magic Shell – sounds like something I would love though!

mayapamela August 7, 2010 at 9:48 am

Love hearing your ice cream adventures!

That’s a heck of a lot of water for 1/2 cup of oats…I might have to try it out though, your oats look really voluminous!

Heather Eats Almond Butter August 8, 2010 at 8:01 am

Mayapamela, Yeah, the rice protein powder soaks up a bit of the water, and then the chia seeds absorb the rest – makes for a very filling bowl of oats!

Katie August 7, 2010 at 9:59 am

I used to eat Blue moon ice cream when I was a kid – its a flavor for kids for sure, if only because of the color.

I could never get sick of seeing your ice cream. I might be jealous, but not sick of it.

40apples August 7, 2010 at 10:02 am

Oh yes indeed I used to love Magic Shell. That stuff is like an ice cream-lovin’ kid’s dream come true!! I loved the one with crunchies. Don’t even remember what they were (nuts?) but darn they were good (especially on a frozen banana… possibly something to try with the new & improved Magi-Coconut Shell?!)

Heather Eats Almond Butter August 8, 2010 at 8:00 am

40apples, I love the crunchy kind too, but I can’t find it on the Smuckers website, and so I guess they don’t make it anymore. I’m curious to know what did make it crunchy!

Liz @ Tip Top Shape August 7, 2010 at 10:27 am

Oh my goodnes, I had completely forgotten about magic shell!! I used to have it all the time when I was a kid. That stuff was pretty awesome.

Hayley August 7, 2010 at 10:30 am

I’m OUT of coconut oil! I was at Safeway yesterday and almost caved and got refined coconut oil because I miss it so… but then I decided to hold out. I actually don’t reallyyy know the difference, but I figured the less processed, the better!

Heather Eats Almond Butter August 8, 2010 at 7:58 am

Hayley, That’s it – the unrefined coconut oil is not heated. I’d hold out for the good stuff! :)

couchpotatoathlete August 7, 2010 at 10:37 am

I had to google Magic Shell — I had no idea what it was!

Yes, the blue moon color is unappealing, but it looks delicious!

I love the dairy bar updates! Keep em coming.

Deanna August 7, 2010 at 10:43 am

Blue moon is actually a Wisconsin flavor, and they say it’s supposed to taste like fruit loops. My kid loves it, I think it’s gross. :)

Heather Eats Almond Butter August 8, 2010 at 7:57 am

Deanna, Fruit loops – yes, that’s a good description, and although I used to love that cereal, I was NOT a huge fan of the ice-cream. It must be a kid thing. ;)

SheFit August 7, 2010 at 11:03 am

Oh! Magic Shell is my childhood love. I have totally forgotten about this stuff. I could never get tired of your ice cream eats :)

j August 7, 2010 at 11:14 am

Loving the dairy bar adventures!

Pure2raw twins August 7, 2010 at 11:30 am

WOW that blue is so pretty! My grandparents our Michigan fans…go blue! haha

Rachael August 7, 2010 at 11:32 am

That is definitely some Smurf-esque ice cream there – interesting flavor description, too!
I was never patient enough for Magic Shell – far too eager to attack the ice cream underneath to deal with a chocolate force-field, however tasty..

alli August 7, 2010 at 11:42 am

love reading about your ice cream trips! i’m thinking im going to have to head down to get some frozen yogurt as soon as the shop opens :)
i still haven’t tried overnight oats, but i’m thinking it’s a must since temps here in phx are nowhere near the lovely temps you’re enjoying…and breakfast smoothies are getting a little old :)
i wanted to add that i finally made that chocolate butter you blogged about from choc covered katie. love that stuff!

Heather Eats Almond Butter August 8, 2010 at 7:56 am

Alli, So glad you tried the chocolate coconut butter. So good! :)

Averie (LoveVeggiesAndYoga) August 7, 2010 at 11:52 am

I have never bought commercially made magic shell. Coconut oil + chocolate in anything less than about 72F temps is all the “magic” I need….haha! It hardens right up and is the perfect shell, dipping sauce, chocolate shavings, you name it, that’s what I do.

Love your distinction between refined and unrefined coconut oil you hinted at, too. I did a post once about 6 mos ago about the differences and although I don’t get too hung up on labels, and my thoughts are that some is better than none when it comes to ref vs. unref, so if all anyone can find is refined, then I say go for it. But I like the way unrefined tastes/smells better!

Have a great day Heather…and impressed to hear you’re weight-lifting. You’re gonna pop out that Heablet lickity split when the time is right b/c you’re taking such amazing care ofy yourself!

Heather Eats Almond Butter August 8, 2010 at 7:55 am

Averie, Ha – I’m just using 8 pound dumbbells. Nothing too heavy, and on about a 1/3 of the exercises, I skipped the weights altogether. I feel so wimpy, but I know there will be plenty of time to get my tones arms back later in life.

Enjoy the rest of your weekend! :)

Michelle August 7, 2010 at 12:45 pm

Natural magic shell?! Omigosh, you are a genius!

Laura August 7, 2010 at 1:15 pm

WOW…that’s blue if ever there was! xx

eatmovelove August 7, 2010 at 1:16 pm

What does the coconut oil do for the oats? Add flavor..? And do you microwave the oats the next day then? Melt the Nut Butter in? :)

Heather Eats Almond Butter August 8, 2010 at 7:53 am

Eatmovelove, The coconut oil adds a lovely hint of coconut flavor as well as a good dose of calories and fat which makes for a very filling breakfast. I do not cook the overnight oats at all – just stir in the protein powder, top with nut butter, and eat them cold. Yum!

Mandie August 7, 2010 at 1:21 pm

I am so jealous you’re in Michigan…..I’m from Michigan and living GA currently as my husband is stationed here. Blue moon ice cream is actually pistachio ice cream, dyed blue. :)

Heather Eats Almond Butter August 8, 2010 at 7:52 am

Mandie, Really? I love pistachio, but I did not love the Blue Moon. Perhaps it was the color that threw me off? Georgia…oh gosh, I hear it’s super hot down in the Southeast. I’m sending thoughts of cooler weather your way right now! :)

A Teenage Gourmet August 7, 2010 at 1:22 pm

The first magic shell that I ever heard of was the pure coconut butter itself (about a month ago).

Heather Eats Almond Butter August 8, 2010 at 7:50 am

Teenage Gourmet, That’s the best kind of Magic Shell. :)

Sonia @ Master of Her Romaine August 7, 2010 at 1:51 pm

Ohh your ice cream every day makes me drool!

Did you know that Smucker’s Magic Shell actually DOES use coconut oil in the ingredients? Also sunflower oil. I’ve seen other knock-off magic shelves at the store that use palm oil, too!

I found the ingredients here: http://www.amazon.com/Smuckers-Magic-Shell-Chocolate-7-25-Ounce/dp/B000KOSLGQ

and an explanation of why tropical oils work so well for magic shell here:

Heather Eats Almond Butter August 8, 2010 at 7:36 am

Sonia, Looks like I spoke too soon. I should have done my research! ;)

Mary @ Bites and Bliss August 7, 2010 at 2:18 pm

I’m so jealous of the weather you’ve been having recently!! It’s supposed to be 108* here in a few days..joooy.

Chia oatmeals my favorite. And I used to LOVE Magic Shell..and miss it! I’m definitely going to try your version :)

caronae August 7, 2010 at 2:31 pm

Glad you at least tried the blue moon! I suppose it can’t be for everyone — at least you like the moose tracks!

I have had many vanilla protein/fresh peach oat bowls this summer. They are the best. I can’t think of a better summer breakfast, even if it is kinda hot! Berries are also great cooked into oats right now. :)

Liza August 7, 2010 at 2:38 pm

Ha! I live in Michigan and love blue moon! The only problem is that it turns your poop blue! Enjoy northern Michigan. There’s nothing like it.

Heather Eats Almond Butter August 8, 2010 at 7:50 am

Liza, Really? Ha, that almost makes me want to eat a whole cone of the stuff…almost, but not quite. ;)

Christine August 7, 2010 at 3:18 pm

I had to look it up, but it seems that Magic Shell DOES use coconut oil!

Smuckers knew the secret before we did!

Heather Eats Almond Butter August 8, 2010 at 7:49 am

Christine, Yes, I heard – guess I spoke too soon. Will do my research next time! ;)

MarathonVal August 7, 2010 at 4:16 pm

As a child growing up in Indiana I used to love getting blue moon too… so weird how you pretty much described the flavor spot-on, although I’ve never been able to do so! Weird (and you’re right, freakishly colored), but good!

BroccoliHut August 7, 2010 at 6:42 pm

I’ve discovered and enjoyed the Magic Shell properties of coconut oil too–I like to make my Banana Blender Cereal (GoLean, almond milk, frozen banana–whizzed in the blender) and top it with coconut butter. The coconut butter hardens up and makes a lovely little “coconut cookie.”

Jill August 7, 2010 at 6:59 pm

I look forward to reading about your ice cream adventures daily! Blue Moon was always my brother’s favorite when we were kids in Michigan. I also have to say…I think those folks up there lied…I do not recall Moose Tracks being “invented” in Michigan…and I’ve eaten probably 5x my weight in ice cream for 19yrs up there. Never encountered a Moose Track though! Hmm…??

Magic Shell – oh, I am still a BIG fan of the stuff…and I only allow it in my house on rare occasion. I am sure it’s artery blocking goodness though! Yum.

Hey, blow some of that 40 degree weather down here! It was 68 this morning at 5am though! Yippee!!

Heather Eats Almond Butter August 8, 2010 at 7:47 am

Jill, Not sure – I heard a rumor that some guy based his idea for Moose Tracks off of some fudge from Mackinac Island. Oh well, I love whomever invented that stuff. So good!

Blowing cool weather your way right now!!!

Carey August 7, 2010 at 7:38 pm

I love the oatmeal ideas! My question is: have you ever made oatmeal in a rice cooker? (That’s how I make mine so it’s ready for me in the morning.) I’d love to add protein powder but was wondering how much extra water to add? I also use steel cut oats. I think I’ll experiment a bit but would love any advice to avoid a gloppy mess (-:

Heather Eats Almond Butter August 8, 2010 at 7:45 am

Carey, Yes, I have made oatmeal in a rice cooker, and it was so creamy: http://heathereatsalmondbutter.com/2009/10/09/the-carb-huggin-continues/! Don’t add your protein powder until you remove your oats from the cooker as heat + protein powder = a clumpy mess sometimes. I would stir in your protein powder, and then add a little water at time until it reaches a consistency you like. Maybe 1/4 a cup or even less? I add so much because the chia seeds really absorb a lot of water.

Nicole August 7, 2010 at 7:43 pm

You woke up to 40 degree temps?? Damn!! I know it’s been hot here but I am not ready for that yet!!
I never liked the chocolate shell. Every once in a while I’d get the chocolate “dipped” soft serve cones but they looked so much better to me than they tasted.
Overnight oats without yogurt…I was wondering how possible that would be. Do you need the chia seeds? I’ll have to add them to my list for my shopping trip tomorrow.

Heather Eats Almond Butter August 8, 2010 at 7:42 am

Nicole, No chia seeds are not necessary – just use less liquid. I would do 1/2 cup oats with 1/2 cup almond milk, and then stir the yogurt plus topping in the next day. Perfect! :)

lisa August 7, 2010 at 8:07 pm

MAGIC SHELL!! I remember that stuff! I dont think I ever bought it hahah but I remember seeing it in stores and always being curious!

and that blue moon icecream is way too blue for me haha! Kind of reminds me of cotton candy hahha. imagine cotton candy flavored ice cream? I dont think Id like that very much.

Heather Eats Almond Butter August 8, 2010 at 7:40 am

Lisa, Me neither. Cotton candy – blech. I’ve always been more of a chocolate girl myself!

Sandi August 7, 2010 at 8:59 pm

HEAB, I was so inspired by your soft-serve adventures that today when I found an ice cream place with a variety of soft serve options with my cousin, I just had to have some! I got one called “cinnamon latte” which was delicious (just a little too sweet) and was creamy, with a bit of coffee flavor and lots of cinnamon. They also had peanut butter though, so I have to go back!
I will definitely never get tired of ice cream posts :D

Heather Eats Almond Butter August 8, 2010 at 7:40 am

Sandi, Cinnamon Latte sounds delicious. I tried Coffee Cake yesterday, and it tasted straight up like vanilla. No cinnamon or coffee flavor whatsoever! Oh well, nothing wrong with vanilla soft serve! Enjoy your peanut butter. :)

Pat August 7, 2010 at 9:06 pm

Magic Shell reminds me of going to Putnam Lake on many summer weekends with my gf’s family. We had to take Route 22 most of the way up which is a one-lane road before 684 was built in NY. If her Dad was in a good mood on the way up, he would stop at the Red Rooster and we would get a soft ice cream with either a chocolate or strawberry dip which is similar to the Magic Shell. I have such wonderful memories of those days. Just drove by the Red Rooster with my daughter three weeks ago on our way home from a trip to Cold Spring, and it is still there 35 years after my last visit!

Heather Eats Almond Butter August 8, 2010 at 7:38 am

Pat, Such a good memory…and the Red Rooster sounds like the kind of place I would love. :)

Jessica @ Fit & Clean August 7, 2010 at 10:09 pm

I’ve been watching you eat so much ice cream, that I went to the grocery store and bought some Breyer’s tonight (I like this kind because there’s no HFCS in it). Not the same as soft-serve, though!! I miss soft serve! The closest thing we have to that where I am is Dairy Queen! :)

Heather Eats Almond Butter August 8, 2010 at 7:37 am

Jessica, I’m not sure whether I should apologize or say “You’re welcome”. Hehe. Hope you enjoyed the Breyer’s! :)

Chelsea August 8, 2010 at 7:28 am

There’s an ice cream shop here in Wisconsin that serves a blue moon mixed with chocolate. They call it “dark side of the moon”.

Heather Eats Almond Butter August 8, 2010 at 7:35 am

Chelsea, I bet it’s much better mixed with chocolate, but then, what isn’t? ;)

Rika August 8, 2010 at 11:15 am

your magic shell idea is GENIUS! I was always wary of heating up my cacao bliss or coconut butter because its raw- and I felt like I was wasting it by doing so- so this is PERFECT!

Heather Eats Almond Butter August 8, 2010 at 6:05 pm

Rika, Enjoy – so good. :)

Brynne August 8, 2010 at 9:23 pm

Loved Reese’s Magic Shell! I just saw a new cupcake flavor at the grocery store .. interesting?

Heather Eats Almond Butter August 9, 2010 at 9:29 am

Brynne, Not sure if that’s interesting or scary. ;)

Scott in Ohio August 9, 2010 at 6:12 am

Magic shell…wow. So many memories there.

I’m loving the ice cream/Dairy Bar adventures. Probably not as much as you are, though.

Don’t you love those cool mornings? Makes you appreciate the warm sunshine when it pops up over the horizon. :-)

Heather Eats Almond Butter August 9, 2010 at 9:30 am

I think avocado bacon ice-cream would be a huge hit. ;) How are the vegetarian eats going?

Rae August 9, 2010 at 6:16 am

Blue moon ice cream is the best!!

Christina August 9, 2010 at 10:10 am

I loved magic shell as a kid! So much fun :)

Too bad the caramel pecan cheesecake was too sweet! That would have been my #1 choice to try.

nicole September 2, 2010 at 8:07 pm

Hi Heather :) I was wondering about how to make oatmeal for my child’s lunch box. My oatmeal-hating 5 year-old son asked me to make oatmeal for him and put it in his Superman lunch thermos. I’m trying not to get my hopes up! (I think he’s more interested in the chocolate almond butter he saw me put in mine this morning LOL) So, do you know what oat : water ratio I would use, so it doesn’t become thick and chunky by lunch? I already know he won’t eat it that way. Thank you :) Nicole

HEAB September 3, 2010 at 8:22 am

Hey Nicole,
I would try cooking 1/2 cup rolled oats with a little more water than you normally would, maybe 1 and 1/4 cups, or you could do half water/half nut milk. Even if the oats are a little watery when you add them to your son’s thermos, the oats should soak up the remaining liquid by lunch time. I would also pack a separate little container of toppings – trail mix, etc., and the Justin’s individual packs of chocolate almond butter would be great to throw in your son’s lunchbox as well. It might take some experimenting, but hopefully no thick chunks! So cute he asked you to make oats for him to take to school. :) Hope this helps!

{ 5 trackbacks }