My Belly Is Big

by HEAB on August 8, 2010

Happy Sunday to you my friends. Nothing too exciting to share today as CD and I are getting down to the bare minimum that our fridge has to offer. However, it’s always fun trying to create meals from random ingredients. Let’s see what I’ve been eating…

The above was a mushroom, tomato, roast beef, cheese, and spinach stir-fry topped with hummus and eaten with toasted pita bread. Random, but good.

Next up, we have last night’s dinner which consisted of a smoked oyster salad pita sandwich.

Canned smoked oysters mixed with whipped cream cheese and dill pickles. I know it sounds odd, but another tasty meal.

And of course, there was ice-cream. Yesterday, I tried the Coffee Cake soft serve.

I was a bit disappointed as there was no coffee cake flavor whatsoever – totally tasted like vanilla! Oh well, I do love a good vanilla soft serve cone. I’m actually thinking of taking an ice-cream hiatus as I didn’t feel too great after this cone, and although I never thought these words would come out of my mouth, I think I may have OD’d on soft serve! It’s tasting way too sweet lately. I say that now, but I’ll probably be back in line at the Dairy Bar tomorrow. 😉

I’m taking the day off from all exercise except for maybe a walk with the dogs later. Today I need some rest. My belly is growing, and it’s getting more and more difficult to sleep, and the nightly trips to the bathroom aren’t helping either. I’m just tired, and I think I need a lazy day. 🙂

Please tell me some of you enjoyed a stack of flapjacks today in honor of Pancake Sunday…I was really missing my griddle this morning!

Amber at Berlin's Whimsy August 11, 2010 at 5:19 pm

I can relate—I tried to reduce our food budget this last month and my mantra was: do I really NEED to go to the store or can I make something with what we have? I am way too apt to run to the store to make something ‘special’ rather than ‘make-do…’ 🙂

Trenia August 11, 2010 at 12:18 pm

I love the food combinations, I need to really make better use of leftover ingredients. Great ideas.

40apples August 10, 2010 at 9:26 am

Aww sad to hear that the Coffee Cake flavor was not-so-hot! I was rooting for it. Ah well, a break from soft serve is necessary every now and again. Dairy like that can get to the over-saturation stage pretty quickly for me, and I know I need to back off for a while so I can enjoy it again later. (but, like you, it’s easier said than done for me! 🙂 )

Christina August 9, 2010 at 10:15 am

I love lazy Sundays 🙂 Mine was pretty lazy as I ended up at a winery with an old friend and was boozed up by 3pm 😉 I had grand plans that included laundry, but that didn’t happen. I made enchiladas and sat on the couch…perfect Sunday.

It’s the worst when you’re really looking forward to a certain meal/treat and it’s totally disappointing. Takes the wind right outta your sails!

Heather Eats Almond Butter August 9, 2010 at 6:05 pm

Christina, You’re so funny. Glad you enjoyed your Sunday. 🙂

BroccoliHut August 8, 2010 at 7:42 pm

Ah man, I hate when ice cream flavors don’t taste like they’re supposed to…I had angel food cake soft serve a few months ago that totally failed to taste as promised 🙁

Kendall August 8, 2010 at 7:25 pm

I actually went to my favorite breakfast place that I haven’t been to since returning to Seattle. I’m more of a savory breakfast girl when it comes to ordering out and I had a great egg/veggie dish but I couldn’t resist getting a big ‘ol pancake on the side because you get to go to the “breakfast bar” and load it up with a very wide variety of condiments. I picked fresh blueberries, raspberries, logan berries, strawberries, peaches, walnuts, almonds, and honey butter. It was quite a work of art, and pretty darn tasty too.

Heather Eats Almond Butter August 8, 2010 at 7:40 pm

Kendall, A pancake condiment bar? Really!?! My idea of heaven! 🙂

Alisa August 8, 2010 at 7:06 pm

Now those are some random meals! Fun to see what you came up with though.

All of your soft serve posts (made me jealous) inspired me. Pretty well the only thing I miss about being dairy-free is being able to go out for an ice cream cone or enjoy one on vacation. So I have a post going up Tuesday on GDF on ice cream parlors that offer dairy-free/vegan ice cream (beyond sorbet!).

Glad your belly is nice and healthy 🙂

Heather Eats Almond Butter August 8, 2010 at 7:41 pm

Alisa, Totally overdid the dairy and taking a break. My body is rebelling. 🙁

Maren @ Simply Maren August 8, 2010 at 6:51 pm

I just couldn’t wait ’til Sunday so I had a whole wheat pancake and two eggs yesterday morning. They were delish!!!

momsgottheruns August 8, 2010 at 6:28 pm

ahhh…the joys of peeing all night long!!! I remember literally timing my urinating habits at night to see just how often I was going. I remember one time having to get up only 5 minutes after the last time. I would always wake Max up with a “WHAT THE HECK?!” as I waddled to the bathroom! : )

annecalista August 8, 2010 at 6:11 pm

You’re awesome, eating ice cream every day! Sorry you’re feeling uncomfortable 🙁

Kelsey @ Clean Teen Kelsey August 8, 2010 at 5:58 pm

I made some pancakes today, no worries. 🙂 Lol, way to go on making meals out of random ingredients! That’s always fun.

Heather August 8, 2010 at 5:13 pm

Heather,
Hooray for lazy days! I hope you had a great one with your hubby and the pups. My husband and I celebrated pancake Sunday (also a tradition in our house) by having whole wheat oatmeal pancakes made with bananas and cocoa powder (and a little dark chocolate dreams from pb&co drizzled atop mine). So yummy!

Averie (LoveVeggiesAndYoga) August 8, 2010 at 4:40 pm

this screams pregnancy food LOL: “Canned smoked oysters mixed with whipped cream cheese and dill pickles”

canned fish, cream cheese, and pickles…omg good one 🙂

As for working out and feeling blah and tired and all that…umm, yeah, it’s normal. Honestly, most of my preg I could hardly keep my head out of the toilet so I totally know all about this blah feeling and you should just embrace it! Truly, wish someone had told me to BE FREAKIN’ LAZY when your preg and dont try to be superwoman. You will have PLENTY of time to be superwoman the 1st yr of babies life…nursing 12-14x/day for a few years (well the frequency trails off after the first year but your shirt will be open 10 times a day, every day, for a few years) and you will not sleep and you will still need to cook and clean and be a good partner to your spouse…yeah, just be lazy right now..trust me. You will need to save up your energy 🙂 Another honest fact that I am telling you b/c no one told me!

Od’ing on the softserve, yeah, dairy proteins can be addictive (casomophins) but the after drug-like trance wears off, the after effects can be blah too.

Have a great Sunday night Heather!!

🙂

alli August 8, 2010 at 4:25 pm

you sure know how to make things work together so good job on making meals out of anything! that’s sure to win you mama of the year 🙂
no pancakes, but i did i have some waffles this morning with some chocolate butter spread on top with a swirl agave….mmm!
hope you enjoy your day! i always break from exercise on sunday…it just feels like the kind of day to rest & relax. in regards to the growing belly; do you grunt when you get out of bed? it’s fun and something to look forward to if you don’t already 😉

Heather Eats Almond Butter August 8, 2010 at 7:44 pm

Alli, Hehe – never noticed if I grunt or not. I’ll pay attention tonight. 😉

FoodCents August 8, 2010 at 3:46 pm

You & The Heablet have a lazy Sunday, all while enjoying it. I can understand OD’ing on soft-serve, just listen to your body and do as it needs.

THe random stirfry looks great & all the better w/ some tasty pita.

Be Well, friend 🙂

kaztronomic August 8, 2010 at 2:58 pm

Your random concoctions look pretty darn tasty to me!

The soft-serve looks delicious — sorry it was a bust! I hope after your dairy-hiatus, you’re able to tackle the soft-serve bar with a vengeance. 😀

Katie August 8, 2010 at 2:37 pm

I refuse to believe that anyone could get sick of soft serve.

I listened to your interview on the 2 fit chicks podcast yesterday at the gym. Oh, my god, I was laughing forever about the hot dog…and yes, so true that americans come up with some crazy things. I never thought about our almond butter obsession until I was in London a couple months ago, and saw the tiniest jar for 8 pounds!!

Heather Eats Almond Butter August 8, 2010 at 7:45 pm

Katie, I love my dogs – no shame! 🙂

Jenna August 8, 2010 at 2:13 pm

What a bummer about the soft serve, it sounds like such an amazing flavor!

One of my favorite soft serves I’ve ever had was at our resort in Mexico. It was ‘vanilla’ flavor but tasted spot on of cake. To die for.

Laura August 8, 2010 at 1:24 pm

I never thought i’d hear that coming outta your mouth either!! Can’t wait to hear what the flavour you try tomorrow is;)….cause i know for sure there will be one! hehe xx

Sarah R August 8, 2010 at 1:23 pm

Hope you are enjoying your lazy Sunday! Isn’t that what the weekend are for? Soak it up 🙂

eatmovelove August 8, 2010 at 1:17 pm

Well, today is the perfect day to be inside all day – it’s pouring cats and dogs here.

Yum – the first meal looks delish. I adore Hummus 🙂 And toasted pita bread? Do you put it in the toaster lightly or the oven?

Coffee CAKE flavor?! Oh God…too bad it was dissapointing. I love Vanilla as well…but I also gotta have something in it to “jazz” it up a little..so I’ll add brownies or cookie pieces ;)…whatever works.

Hope your feeling okay! Big Bellies are healthy, NORMAL and beautiful! Remember…it won’t be there forever…just until the next one haha! 🙂 How long is you ‘moon for? Another few days?

Heather Eats Almond Butter August 8, 2010 at 7:48 pm

Eatmovelove, At home, I always use a toaster oven, but here in Michigan, I’ve been using a toaster for the pita. The Babymoon is for 5 weeks, and so we have another month left. Chris’s boss allows him to work from another location for 5 to 6 weeks every summer. Love his job for that reason!

Jenn (Jenn's Menu and Lifestyle Blog) August 8, 2010 at 1:15 pm

All of your random leftover creations look delicious! I haven’t soft serve all season, must get some— any flavor! Although, I do enjoy when they have special flavors. 🙂

Jenn

Mary @ Bites and Bliss August 8, 2010 at 12:53 pm

That oyster meal doesnt sound odd at all! Sometimes the most random ingredients make for the best meals 🙂

meSharon August 8, 2010 at 12:45 pm

Heather, I think all the soft-serves you’re consuming is good for little HEAB! 🙂 I must say you’re very creative with little ingredients…I shall learn from you. No pancakes for me this morning, but I hope you get some bedrest!

Heather Eats Almond Butter August 8, 2010 at 7:49 pm

MeSharon, Glad you got some rest…and yes, I’m thinking the HEABlet is going to pop out demanding soft serve. 😉

Melissa @ TryingToHeal August 8, 2010 at 12:06 pm

I enjoyed Pancake Sunday with several varieties for my brothers and friends: cinnamon vanilla, banana and espresso chocolate!

Laura August 8, 2010 at 11:30 am

How do you get your pita to toast up so crispy? I’ve put mine in the toaster oven and it goes from not crispy to burned to a crisp in nothing flat, but there’s nothing inbetween!

Heather Eats Almond Butter August 8, 2010 at 7:51 pm

Laura, At home, I warm my pita in a 350 degree toaster until warm. However, in Michigan, I’ve been using a regular old toaster and setting it on the “lightest” setting as the Joseph’s pitas I bought are pretty thin.

Pure2Raw Twins August 8, 2010 at 11:18 am

Oh yes I enjoyed some pancakes this morning…and with a cup of coffee, hehe. It was perfect!

Brittany August 8, 2010 at 11:07 am

I bet you are super cute with your big belly!

Rest up today!

gloriousgreens August 8, 2010 at 11:04 am

Hm, I’ve never had canned smoked oysters, do they taste fishy?

Heather Eats Almond Butter August 8, 2010 at 8:00 pm

Glorious Greens, No, the oysters do not taste fishy to me at all. Raw oysters on the other hand…blech!

Katie August 8, 2010 at 10:53 am

Im loving all the soft serve love you have been enjoying : ) yummy! I am sure you are getting a little overdosed on it like you said, but you never know tomorrow you might have to try another flavor!

Oh I remember those days of being pregnant and running to the bathroom all the time! I was not sleeping well either as I got bigger! Oh my, I loved every minute though, its an amazing experience!!!

Have a great day girl! xoxo

couchpotatoathlete August 8, 2010 at 10:47 am

What a bummer about the soft serve — although I also love vanilla, but if I”m expecting coffee cake, I want coffee cake flavor!

I am making potato pancakes for lunch!

molly August 8, 2010 at 10:45 am

no pancakes, but even better, french toast at marche! it is made with croissants, so decedent and amazing. as my appetite is picking up too, i also couldn’t resist the homemade ricotta cheese slathered on toasted wheat bread and covered in fresh peaches and honey! yum! i will definitely be recreating that at home!

i am jealous of the dairy bar…soft serve is my favorite 🙂

Heather Eats Almond Butter August 8, 2010 at 7:59 pm

Molly, Oh my gosh – I’m so jealous of you! I love love love Marche. They serve the BEST coffee and granola. However, your ricotta covered bread with peaches and honey sounds amazing. Glad to hear you’re appetite is picking up. 🙂

kelsey@snackingsquirrel.com August 8, 2010 at 10:38 am

good to see you REALLY are working your way through the softserve menu list <3 hehe
mm coffee cake, i can see why u had to try it!
no flapjacks for me, but a muffin comes close i think.. blueberry chocolate pecan too 🙂

xoxo

Heather Eats Almond Butter August 8, 2010 at 7:57 pm

Kelsey, Yes, muffin totally counts! 😉

Sonia @ Master of Her Romaine August 8, 2010 at 10:37 am

Enjoy your lazy day!! I wish coffee cake tasted like coffee! I looove coffee ice cream 🙂 I’m always weirded out that coffee cake recipes don’t have coffee in them- humph!
I didn’t have pancakes for breakfast…I had ramen haha

Sarena (The Non-Dairy Queen) August 8, 2010 at 10:32 am

I love to hear that belly is growing! She is going to be one strong little princess when she comes out! Your random eats always make me hungry…I guess that is because we seem to crave similar things! No pancakes here, but we did have some monkey bread! Have a great day Heather! I have a feeling you will!

http://tanyasdaily.blogspot.com/ August 8, 2010 at 10:28 am

that flavor sound so good…to bad

Run Sarah August 8, 2010 at 10:02 am

Have a great Sunday! It can be fun when there’s fewer ingredients in the kitchen – I find I get a bit more creative and stray away from my usual go to recipes.

Nicole @ yuppieyogini.com August 8, 2010 at 10:00 am

I took a break from Sunday pancakes to have carrot cake scuffins!

Heather Eats Almond Butter August 8, 2010 at 7:54 pm

Nicole, Scuffins sound just as good if not better than pancakes right about now. 🙂

Michelle August 8, 2010 at 9:50 am

That stir fry actually looks really good! Especially the mushrooms. I’ve been randomly craving mushrooms. haha.

I get really sick from ice cream and fro yo too. For me, I think it’s just the sugar though :/

Heather Eats Almond Butter August 8, 2010 at 7:53 pm

Michelle, Yeah, I think it’s the dairy/sugar combo. Those last few cones have tasted way too sweet!

dorrybird August 8, 2010 at 9:44 am

A relaxing Sunday sounds perfect for you and your beautiful baby belly! Enjoy your day Heather. 🙂

Liz @ Tip Top Shape August 8, 2010 at 9:41 am

I love your title! It made me smile 😀

You did pretty well with meals for trying to clean out your fridge. MOst of it looks pretty tasty!

christina cadden August 8, 2010 at 9:41 am

mmm, food looks so yummy!

A Teenage Gourmet August 8, 2010 at 9:24 am

It seems like most of your dairy treats have been disappointing. 🙁

Heather Eats Almond Butter August 8, 2010 at 7:52 pm

Teenage Gourmet, Not all of them, but yeah, the last 2 have tasted overly sweet. Maybe I just need to stick to vanilla or plain chocolate for a while…or Moose Tracks. 😉

Kayla August 8, 2010 at 9:23 am

I’m so happy you are sharing your pregnancy with all of us! Thank you so much Heather! 🙂

Heather Eats Almond Butter August 8, 2010 at 7:39 pm

Kayla, You’re welcome. Thanks for following me and the HEABlet. 🙂

vanillasugar August 8, 2010 at 9:17 am

OMG girl if you follow me on twitter and/or facebook i just posted a pic of buttermilk pancakes!
and yes, you NEED rest, PRONTO!

Jessica @ How Sweet August 8, 2010 at 9:15 am

A lazy day sounds like it’s in order! Have a great one Heather! 😉

homecookedem August 8, 2010 at 9:13 am

Enjoy your lazy day!! 🙂

Meg August 8, 2010 at 8:40 am

No pancakes for me today, but I am eating oysters tonight! 🙂
I don’t know if you have access to a pool or other body of water, but my mom was just telling me about how when she was pregnant, relaxing in the water was really nice because it held the weight of her belly. Maybe that would help a little. Enjoy your lazy sunday!

Heather Eats Almond Butter August 8, 2010 at 8:47 am

Meg, We’re really close to a lake with a little beach. Maybe I’ll get a tube or noodle and just float around in the water for a while. Thanks for the suggestion. 🙂

Lauren (Clean Eats in the Dirty South) August 8, 2010 at 8:36 am

your belly may be big but your awesomeness is bigger!
glad to see i’m not the only one who tops stir frys with hummus 😀

Heather Eats Almond Butter August 8, 2010 at 8:48 am

Haha – thanks Lauren. I needed to hear that today. 🙂

Danielle (Runs on Green) August 8, 2010 at 8:34 am

Lazy days are definitely warranted (to everyone…but especially moms-to-be) 🙂

And your hummus looks like whipped yogurt/cream. Is it Sabra?? I *must* find out there secret and re-create it!

Heather Eats Almond Butter August 8, 2010 at 8:49 am

Danielle, Yes, you have a good eye for hummus! It’s Sabra’s original flavor. 🙂

kathib01 August 8, 2010 at 8:29 am

Actually I did enjoy some pancakes this morning from the Eat, Drink & Be Vegan cook book. Blueberry Carob Pancakes! Yummy and hit the spot. I used the fresh blueberries I bought from the Farmers Market yesterday. So delicious.

Looking at your Pita I am currently in the process of cooking my own homemade pita this morning. I will let you know how they turn out. Thinking of making some Falfafel and cucumber sauce to go inside!

Heather Eats Almond Butter August 8, 2010 at 8:50 am

Kathi, Do you have any pancakes leftover? If not, a homemade pita with falafel and cucumber sauce sounds good too! 😉

Dana August 8, 2010 at 8:29 am

🙁 I’m disappointed! I had high hopes for the coffee cake flavor!!

Heather Eats Almond Butter August 8, 2010 at 8:46 am

Dana, I did too! 🙁

Little Bookworm August 8, 2010 at 8:29 am

Shame about the soft serve! No Pancake Sunday for me, but you have reminded me to have pancakes again soon. 🙂

Anna August 8, 2010 at 8:23 am

“My belly is big”…I hear that’s normal 🙂

Sounds like you are really enjoying your babymoon!