A Day of Michigan Eats

by HEAB on August 9, 2010

Yesterday I happen to take photos of everything I ate, and so I thought I’d share all my eats with you since it’s been a while.

Breakfast consisted of 1 egg scrambled with 2 egg whites and some cheese alongside a toasted cinnamon raisin English muffin, one half topped with whipped cream cheese and the other half with Trader Joe’s unsalted peanut butter. I love any kind of cinnamon raisin bread. Such a great combo!

It turned out to be a nice day, and so CD and I drove to up to Petoskey, MI for a little exploring. Such a cute little town!

Our first stop was American Spoon where I sampled their popular cherry peach salsa.

Check out the cherry chunkage. Delicious!

Next up, we had lunch at a little, but very busy coffee shop called Roast and Toast where I ordered the turkey and avocado club wrap…and I’ve decided I need to eat more bacon + avocado sandwiches. As much as I love cheese, I’ve been overdoing it on the dairy, and honestly who needs cheese when you have big slices of avocado?!?

Then per several native Michigan resident’s recommendations, I tried some Michigan fudge.

I ordered the smallest piece of chocolate peanut fudge available, but I could only eat a few bites of it. As tasty as it was, I could just feel my teeth rotting. Fudge tastes like nothing but pure sugar to me and is way too sweet for my taste buds. I think I prefer my butternut squash version instead. :)

After walking all over town, CD and I headed down to the bay and enjoyed some lovely views and a little reading.

.201008081931.jpg

We walked around the shoreline a bit and then drove back to Fife Lake, the little town where we’re staying. Once we got back home, we were both hungry. So, CD decided to clean out the fridge and make a pot of chili. He just made the recipe up on the spot, and it was so good – definitely HEAB Recipe Page worthy!

CD’s Almond Butter Chili. Please click here for the recipe.

After dinner, I cooked a small bowl of rolled oats in water, and ate it with 1 melted square of unsweetened Baker’s Chocolate and a spoonful of peanut butter…my favorite dessert. :) Post oatmeal, we took the pups for a 30 minute walk and then settled in the for the evening.

So, there you have it folks – a day in the life of pregnant HEAB. I guess I should mention there was much water consumed in-between meals. I rarely drink beverages with meals as I’ve read it’s bad for your digestion. Not sure if that’s true or not, but I never even think to fix a drink with my meals anymore. Kind of weird since I never ate anything growing up without a glass of something or other in my hand. What about you? Do you drink with your meals?

Brandi August 9, 2010 at 6:22 am

love the fudge baby picture :) Sounds like you guys are having such a great time!

I drink more water inbetween meals unless I’m really thirsty.

Anna August 9, 2010 at 6:24 am

That’s so funny– I NEVER drink with my meals (uless it’s wine, that is). I never want any water with them, for some weird reason.

Looks like a day of great eats– especially that chilli!

Jessica @ How Sweet August 9, 2010 at 6:29 am

Love American Spoon! I also love Petoskey. Did you guys go to Fustini’s and taste the oils and vinegars?

Heather Eats Almond Butter August 9, 2010 at 8:40 am

Jessica, We did no go in Fustini’s, but we walked by and peeked inside. I couldn’t get over all the samples of oils they had!

Scott in Ohio August 9, 2010 at 6:31 am

Good lookin’ eats there. Love CD’s chili.

Bacon and avocado? Awesome. I’m surprised they don’t have that flavor at the Dairy Bar. Haha.

Wishing you more sleep this week.

Erica August 9, 2010 at 6:35 am

Almond butter chili? I need to make this- sounds so good. What a nice day. And cute pic of you two- the bump looks great. Cherry peach salsa- amazingness! Hope you have a great rest of the trip

Samantha Angela @ Bikini Birthday August 9, 2010 at 6:35 am

Glad you are enjoying Michigan. I was just in Petoskey last summer. And Mackinac Island. I live in Windsor (across the border from Detroit) so it’s not quite as far as Nashville!

On your way home, if you drive through Grand Rapids, you should check out the Frederick Meijer Sculpture Park. It’s one of my favourite places.

Heather Eats Almond Butter August 9, 2010 at 8:58 am

Samantha, Thanks for the link to the Meijer Sculpture Park. Looks like a place I would love. :)

Nicole August 9, 2010 at 6:36 am

Growing up, my grandmother would never allow us to have a drink at the table with our food, and it just stuck. Everyone around me thinks I’m weird but it’s just normal to me.
I have some chili in my crockpot as we speak! Great minds!

melissa @ the delicate place August 9, 2010 at 6:37 am

fudge baby LOL! love it. that wrap looked super tasty and i agree about the fudge, i swear i can feel sugar crystals in between my teeth haha. you look so tall in that photo with CD! maybe you are tall and i just am super short haha

Heather Eats Almond Butter August 9, 2010 at 8:57 am

Melissa, I’m about 5’7″. Used to be closer to 5’8″. I swear I’m shrinking. :(

Heather (Perspective Is Everything) August 9, 2010 at 6:38 am

I’m not a big fudge eater either….for many reasons, but like you said, you could feel your teeth rotting! LOL!
Oh, and I’d take avocado over cheese ANY day! mmmmmm…..avocado :)

Sandi August 9, 2010 at 6:39 am

I don’t drink with my meals either! Everyone thinks I’m crazy, but it just feels weird to me to do so. I do like a sip of water after a meal to “clear” my mouth, but for the most part I just drink whenever I’m thirsty.

rebecca lustig August 9, 2010 at 6:41 am

Ahh, and what a beautiful pregnant life you lead!

all your meals look absolutely phenomenal

I hope you have a great start to the week!
<3 becca

Chandra August 9, 2010 at 7:01 am

I read the same thing as you so I don’t drink with meals but I drink lots of water throughout the day and don’t miss it at all.

It looks like you guys are having fun. We stayed in Holland, MI over the 4th and it was beautiful.

Daniel August 9, 2010 at 7:04 am

Looks like a lot of great eats, and I love the fudge picture. Have you ever been to Mackinac Island? My Dad was born and raised near Escanaba so one year we went over there to explore the island and (even though I agree about the whole teeth-rotting feeling) the fudge was out of this world!

Hope you’re having a great time! (By the looks of it you are! ;) )

Heather Eats Almond Butter August 9, 2010 at 8:56 am

Daniel, No, I have never been to Mackinac Island, but I hear the fudge there is wonderful. However, the town we visited yesterday was close to Mackinac Island, and the fudge shop where we stopped claimed to serve MackinacFudge. Although super sweet, it was really good!

VeggieGirl August 9, 2010 at 7:05 am

I stopped drinking with my meals – it definitely improved my digestion dramatically! And it allows me to actually eat my meal without feeling so full (since I need to eat adequately).

The fudge baby label on the photo is priceless :-D

A Teenage Gourmet August 9, 2010 at 7:05 am

So beautiful. :) . . . I’m headed to Nashville to visit Vandy next weekend!

Heather Eats Almond Butter August 9, 2010 at 8:49 am

Teenage Gourmet. Oh my gosh, so sad I won’t be there!!! :( I’m emailing you right now with a list of Nashville recommendations. I know you won’t be able to fit all of it in, but you must walk around Hillsboro Village. It’s in walking distance of Vanderbilt, and near my house. Lots of cute little shops and Fido’s serves a great brunch + coffee, and Sweet Cece’s is my favorite place to get fro-yo! :)

couchpotatoathlete August 9, 2010 at 7:08 am

I’ve heard that too, about not drinking while eating, since it dilutes your digestive enzymes or something like that. But I still do. I take a few sips of water here and there, mostly to slow myself down. I usually wolf down my food super fast.

The fudge baby! Heather you are such a cute pregnant lady.

No dairy bar stops?

Heather Eats Almond Butter August 9, 2010 at 8:47 am

Couchpotato, Nope, no Dairy Bar yesterday. My body is rebelling…so missing my Vita-Mix ice cream!

sweetersalt August 9, 2010 at 7:13 am

I do like a glass of wine with my meals ;) but, i usually have water.

Love a fudge baby!

Talia@ Texas Gunslinger August 9, 2010 at 7:22 am

Wow, that fudge looked so good! I’m sure it was ridiculously sweet, but I would have indulged and just slammed down 4 cups of water afterward HA!

I’ve been following Tosca Reno’s “Eat Clean Diet” and she recommends drinking water with each meal so I have been doing that. I had to get used to drinking water with meals, but now it comes naturally. Plus, I’m drinking a gallon+ a day and it helps get my water in!

Cute pic!!!

Sarena (The Non-Dairy Queen) August 9, 2010 at 7:23 am

As always, everything looks and sounds delicious! You know, I think I like my hemp fudge topping so much because it is not really sweet. I can’t do super sweet like fudge either any more. I do drink with my meals…tons of water! It looks beautiful there. Glad you are enjoying it!

Heather Eats Almond Butter August 9, 2010 at 8:46 am

Sarena, I must try your hemp fudge when I get home. Manitoba is supposed to be sending me some samples. Do you like that brand?

molly August 9, 2010 at 7:30 am

you look so beautiful heather! love the fudge baby :) and i agree…i have also been overdoing it on the dairy and i don’t think wee watson likes it at all!! avocado is SO much better!
can’t wait to have you back in nashville!

mayapamela August 9, 2010 at 7:31 am

I’m not a big fan of fudge, either. Way too sweet. Now, hot fudge, that is wonderful.

I never knew that about drinking with meals. I usually drink a lot of water with mymeals, maybe I should make an effort to drink the water in between meals. In fact, I have a bowl of oats and a glass of water as I type!

Sarah R August 9, 2010 at 7:35 am

Awe, the fudge baby! Sounds like you had a wonderful day, and that wrap looks amazing!

lpskins August 9, 2010 at 7:45 am

I never NOT drink with my meals. My buds would be so parched! It would be a desert in there.

thedailyoatmeal August 9, 2010 at 7:54 am

I know a lot of kids were served milk with meals growing up, but I never was, and maybe that contributes to why I never really liked milk and much prefer soy and almond milks today. But, my parents did serve water and juice with meals, and as I got older, they allowed that soda habit to kick in. Now, eating out, I allow for iced tea or soda at the meal, but at home, I keep it to H2O!

homecookedem August 9, 2010 at 8:05 am

Love the fudge baby pic!! :) I’ve been drinking water like it’s my job since being preggo! I’m always so thirsty!! But, I don’t drink it much with my meals… I’m more focused on the food!! ;)

Shauna August 9, 2010 at 8:12 am

I drink very little with meals unless I’m already super thirsty or it’s very salty. No particular reasoning behind it, it just doesn’t really occur to me. I’m with you on the fudge. I’d much rather have a piece of dark chocolate.

Meg August 9, 2010 at 8:13 am

The “fudge baby” comment totally put a smile on my face, haha :D how cute! Everything looks delicious, HEAB, that is one lucky baby to be sharing a tum with you ;)

Carolyn August 9, 2010 at 8:13 am

they make pumpkin fudge..seasonally… it’s a problem… ;-)

lizlivingvegan August 9, 2010 at 8:14 am

I don’t really drink much with my meals either! That salsa looks really good, too. I never would have thought of a salsa with cherries in it, but now I want to try it! Yum! :)

kayla.eats.healthy August 9, 2010 at 8:16 am

Great blog you have here! Cute photos, too.

I usually drink before or after a meal. If I drink during my meal I get too full. And sometimes I think it causes indigestion…

Heather Eats Almond Butter August 9, 2010 at 8:43 am

Thanks Kayla. :)

Molly August 9, 2010 at 8:23 am

Yum, all your food looks delicious and healthy!

I usually don’t drink anything during meals because it makes me feel too full! But between meals I drink a lot of water and tea.

Jenna August 9, 2010 at 8:27 am

I have never really thought drinking with meals before since it is just common habit that I don’t. Funny to think about now though. I wonder why I don’t? Hmm..

annecalista August 9, 2010 at 8:27 am

I don’t like to drink with meals either, unless it’s wine or beer :-)

Krystina August 9, 2010 at 8:40 am

I agree about fudge. I like my chocolate on the bitter side, not sickeningly sweet.

I always have a drink with meals but I don’t usually end up drinking much of it until after I’m done eating.

Beth @ DiningAndDishing August 9, 2010 at 8:40 am

I also heard that about water being bad for digestion. But I get so thirsty…I can’t eat a meal without it! I guess my body will just have to adjust :) .

Sarah (See Sarah Eat/River City Fitness) August 9, 2010 at 8:47 am

“who needs cheese when you have big slices of avocado?!?” AMEN!!! :)

I do usually have a drink with meals but it’s always water. Several years ago I had to quit drinking diet soda with meals because it upset my stomach a lot. Now if I drink anything other than water, it is usually well before or after meal time.

Tyrah August 9, 2010 at 9:20 am

Glad you guys are enjoying your Babymoon in this great state =) (Don’t forget you’re in the land of Naturally Nutty ;) so lots of flavor selections in the store, if you’re back in Petoskey there’s a nice co-op called Grain Train and also Julienne Tomatoes is great for lunch. We were just up there a couple of weeks ago, have a couple of posts on my blog…http://domesticdharma.blogspot.com/2010/07/i-heart-petoskey.html and here there’s a link to your laundry soap =)…http://domesticdharma.blogspot.com/2010/08/traverse-city.html

We don’t drink with meals either and you’re spot on with the fudge, tastes like nothing but sugar :/
You and the HEABlet look great!

Heather Eats Almond Butter August 9, 2010 at 9:32 am

Tyrah, Shoot, I wish I would have known about Grain Train and Julienne Tomatoes before yesterday. :( Oh well, next time for sure! :)

Liz @ Tip Top Shape August 9, 2010 at 9:25 am

I drink with my meals. Usually tea or coffee. I’m sort of a caffeine junkie, lol.

LOVE the picture with you that has “fudge baby”. You had me laughing :-D

Dorry August 9, 2010 at 9:38 am

I totally agree about avocado in place of cheese – feel the same way about hummus. It adds all the creaminess you need. :)

That chili looks fab. I <3 chili – so much so that I continue to eat it through the hot Texas summer!

I simply must have water to drink when I'm eating a meal.

Megan (Braise The Roof) August 9, 2010 at 9:58 am

I’ve heard the same thing about drinking water while you’re eating- I still usually do it, depending on what I’m eating. Sometimes you just need to wash your food down with something! (especially during the summer)

That salsa looks amazing! Mmm…chips and salsa. I’m clearly hungry. :)

JavaChick August 9, 2010 at 10:11 am

We always had water with meals while I was growing up. I usually do still have water available, but I definitely drink more between meals that with meals.

polly August 9, 2010 at 10:17 am

LOVE baby fudge. :D

Love YOU!

Did you know that Petoskey, MI is where Abbi was after she arrived in Mackinaw City? Yup. We were only there a few hours before they air-lifted her in the helicopter to Chicago so she could be in a higher level NICU for the next 3 months. sniff. It was a scary time, but wow look how far God has brought us, no? :) Makes me happy. :)

I never drink anything with my meals, either! I’m always getting our glasses ready before dinner and D and Ab know to just make 2 glasses. Kinda funny.

I want some of that almond butter chili, please, CD. We’ll be up for supper. :D

Hugs Hugs Hugs.
Peachy

Heather Eats Almond Butter August 9, 2010 at 6:40 pm

Polly, NO, I didn’t realize that Abbi was born in Mackinaw City. I knew you and D were in a hotel somewhere, but I didn’t know the location. Can’t believe that’s where you were – gosh, that must have been so scary, but yes, God has brought you so far and look at your beautiful Peanut today. :)

Love you too my Peach, always! :)

polly August 9, 2010 at 10:19 am

p.s. YAY for avocado. The new cheese please. :P XOXO

Christina August 9, 2010 at 10:19 am

Avocado is great in sandwiches! Much, much better than cheese – agreed.

I love your fudge baby picture. So cute.

I do usually drink water with my meals. Or unsweetened iced tea with lemon, when I have it. But I drink a lot more between meals than during.

Christina August 9, 2010 at 10:21 am

p.s. I’m not a fudge fan either! Too sweet for my tastes.

lindsay August 9, 2010 at 10:26 am

Its funny, I usually don’t drink anything with dinner anyway. I like to drink in between meals. Glad to know i’m doing the right thing for digestion. You fudge belly is precious!

gina g August 9, 2010 at 10:28 am

i have heard it was bad, but i always drink water with my meals. When i was younger i didn’t though. I don’t know what it is , but i find myself so thirsty when i eat and when i drink water and take another bite my tastebuds thank me (sounds really odd haha sorry)

have a wonderful day!

Megan @ Healthy Hoggin' August 9, 2010 at 10:50 am

I read the same thing about drinking during your meals, so I pretty much stopped doing it, too! I used to drink TONS of water with my food, but now I barely even need it! I guess my body just got used to the change…

It actually works out very well, because when I go out to eat with my husband, he drinks SO MUCH water! Since my water glass is usually full during the meal, he always has mine as a back-up when he runs out! ;)

eatmovelove August 9, 2010 at 10:53 am

I do drink with my meals, I know it affects me someway…but I get thirsty?..and I don’t know, pizza requires a glass of milk…or a beer ;) .

Love the fudge baby! Wow, you eat so well! That chili looks A-Mazing!

Agree with you about the fudge too though…unless it’s a ‘fudgy’ brownie – just not the harder-square stuff…

Heather Eats Almond Butter August 9, 2010 at 6:53 pm

Eatmovelove, I used to always drink milk with pizza! However, now when I eat pizza, I always crave Coke. It’s about the only time I miss that stuff…oh and when I eat Mexican. There is just something about chips, salsa, and a fountain coke with lots of ice! OK, now I’m thirsty…

Megan August 9, 2010 at 10:59 am

It’s a must. I can’t eat a thing without a drink to go along side it.

Quix August 9, 2010 at 11:09 am

I love random-through-the-cupboards-and-fridge-in-a-pot chili. I do that more often in the winter, but I have been craving some of that chili goodness. :)

And I tend to eat a lot of spicy food, so I drink a lot of water with my meals. Just habit. Rarely drink anything else though – even if I’m out on the town and have some happy hour drinks before dinner or something, I usually switch to water until I’m done with the meal.

plamarie August 9, 2010 at 11:11 am

I agree, no drinks with meals. I believe it is not good for digestion either. I try to wait 20-30 minutes after eating, to drink water. We have been on a blt streak. Each time, I keep thinking why didn’t I get avocado!

Ruth August 9, 2010 at 11:24 am

The drinking habit must be a cultural thing! My hubbie and I both grew up in beverage-with-meals households, and so we drink something with every meal. Mayo Clinic says that this habit does NOT inhibit digestion (http://www.mayoclinic.com/health/digestion/AN01776) . There are more citations at this Google Answers page: http://answers.google.com/answers/threadview?id=549283

Heather Eats Almond Butter August 9, 2010 at 6:41 pm

Ruth, Interesting – I always hear such conflicting info on this topic. Thanks for the links!

Maren @ Simply Maren August 9, 2010 at 11:42 am

That sandwich looks amazing, and I don’t even eat meat!

Maeve August 9, 2010 at 11:47 am

I’ve struggled with digestion problems for years, and a doctor finally advised me to stop drinking with meals–previously I would GUZZLE water throughout my meals, then feel bloated and sick. Surprise surprise, it helped a lot. Water dilutes your digestive acids, making it difficult to break down fibrous foods, plus of course takes up space in your belly. Now that I do this I find myself getting VERY thirsty in the afternoons, but I just drink more then.

Evan Thomas August 9, 2010 at 11:55 am

I need to make some fudge after seeing that; I love the stuff, and it’s easy to do with vegan butter and a microwave

Katie August 9, 2010 at 12:05 pm

I hear you on the fudge. A tiny sample is all I can do, and I have a mean sweet tooth too!

I had no idea about drinking and digestion…I always drink a huge glass of water with my meals. I’m going to try to stop. Thanks for the tip!

Diana (Soap & Chocolate) August 9, 2010 at 12:25 pm

I used to chug tons of water with my meals, but I read somewhere that it’s better for your digestion to sip moderately, so that made me pay way more attention to when I consume my water. I also noticed that I actually feel better if I don’t drink a lot during a meal–not a fan of the slosh belly! It can turn a comfortable meal portion into uncomfortable just with a bunch of liquid taking up room. I’m sure you feel that acutely–no room to spare once the HEABlet starts mooching on your belly real estate. ;)

Stephanie@ avocado nation August 9, 2010 at 12:38 pm

My mom says the same thing about drinking with meals. I think it is true because I always feel bad when I drink too much with food.

Lara (Thinspired) August 9, 2010 at 1:12 pm

Cherry peach salsa sounds just heavenly! It’s fun to see a full day of eats in the life of HEAB and the Heablet :)

I’ve heard it’s not good, but I absolutely have to have water (or a drink of some sort) when eating food. I know it’s a habit formed in my childhood, after seeing my dad with babies in my family, always making them “sip!” in between bites. Thanks, Dad ;)

Laura August 9, 2010 at 1:27 pm

Everytime you say “Fife Lake”..i get excited….only then to realise it’s actually about 3492-94-9420 miles from where i am! never mind!
Must disagree with ya on the issue of fudge..i adore it!!!! can i have the rest of yours please? xx

Heather Eats Almond Butter August 9, 2010 at 6:50 pm

Laura, Yes, I would totally give you the rest of my fudge…if CD hadn’t finished it off last night. ;)

Averie (LoveVeggiesAndYoga) August 9, 2010 at 1:36 pm

“Yesterday I happen to take photos of everything I ate, and so I thought I’d share all my eats with you”–damn could you come over to my blog and do that for my readers since I am asked 17 times a day for this! LOL :)

Fudge and teeth rotting..omg YES!!! I made a vegan, GF, soy-free fudge with coconut milk. It’s on my site. It does use some sugar, ok alot of powdered sugar…but I will say that it does NOT give you that over-sugared feeling. And you could easily half the sugar. If you ever wanna make fudge that doesnt rot you. Oh and it’s a no bake, 10 min deal.

Love your recipes tab. I JUST went thru the process of updating a year++ worth of recipes in my tab. Just took me 5 minutes…haha…kidding! Love the chili linkage.

Food combiners/raw foodies would also say the same thing about water with meals. However, since I am such a rule breaking raw foodie, I drink water w/ meals. And thru out the day, too , of course. It doesnt adversely effect me to drink water w/ meals so i do :)

Have a great day there hot mama!!!

runningaroundnormal August 9, 2010 at 1:51 pm

Look at how CUTE you look! Such a cute picture. Love the fudge baby memo LOL
I typically drink water with my meals, but I’ve heard it interferes with digestion as well.

Mama Pea August 9, 2010 at 2:08 pm

Look at that fudge baby! I’m so impressed with how well you’ve eaten throughout your pregnancy. I see you relaxing up the “rules” and hope you realize how great of a skill this is as a parent. You are going to be a natural!

Heather Eats Almond Butter August 9, 2010 at 6:51 pm

Mama Pea, Thanks so much – I sure hope so! :)

kaztronomic August 9, 2010 at 2:25 pm

Everything looks so delicious!

I love fudge, but I haven’t had it in ages. I wonder, with my sweet tooth changing, if I’d even enjoy it anymore.

I always have to have a drink with my meals. I start to feel like I’m choking (totally psychological, of course) if I eat without sipping between bites. =)

charlotte August 9, 2010 at 2:58 pm

You and your fudge baby are SOOOO adorable. Seriously, I come to your blog every day hoping to see another adorbs belly pic. (Does that make me a little creepy? It’s just I love other people’s pregnancies! From a distance – I swear!)

Glad to see you are stocking up on Midwest delicacies! I love fudge but I too can only eat a few bites. That stuff is rich.

Heather Eats Almond Butter August 9, 2010 at 6:48 pm

Charlotte, not creepy at all. It’s so funny, but I get a lot of requests for belly pics which really surprised me, and I don’t mind sharing. Loving that big belly of mine these days. :)

Mary @ Bites and Bliss August 9, 2010 at 3:09 pm

Love the little fidge baby picture!! Too cute :) and I feel the same way about fudge- it tastes/feels like pure sugar. :/

amy_jo August 9, 2010 at 3:13 pm

Oh, gosh! We may have PASSED each other in Petosky, for all I know :)
My hubby and I live in Grand Rapids, MI but decided to do an overnight near the Sleeping Bear Dunes. On our drive north, fell into deep conversation and took a major detour, accidentally ending in Petosky :) I’d never been there before, but it was so cute! I’d love to spend more time there.

I’m glad you’re enjoying my beautiful state!!

Heather Eats Almond Butter August 9, 2010 at 6:46 pm

Amy_Jo, No way, such a small world. I would have loved to hear someone shout out “Hey HEAB!”. That would have been so much fun, and I could have shared my fudge with you! :) CD and I are hoping to check out Sleeping Bear Dunes soon. Any tips?

Etta August 9, 2010 at 3:29 pm

There’s an actual physical reason it’s suggested that you don’t consume water within 20 minutes of eating (20 minutes on either side of your meal). Chugging down water too close to or during a meal can dilute the acidity of your gastric juices, which can lead to improper breakdown of proteins (as protein digestion begins in the stomach when it hits the HCl present there). If the pH in your stomach isn’t acidic enough, protein breakdown can be incomplete, which in turn leaves more for your small intestine to do. More stress on the digestive system leaves us feeling not so lovely and isn’t particularly kind to our insides, either.
Despite knowing all this, I find it difficult to eat meals without a glass of water. Silly, eh?

Heather Eats Almond Butter August 9, 2010 at 6:44 pm

Etta, Yes, this is similar to what I’ve heard. Thanks for the info, and I just say go by your thirst. If your body wants that water, then drink it. :)

Rachael August 9, 2010 at 3:33 pm

The fudge baby pic made me smile.
Growing up, I always associated fudge with the tourist town candy shops we would frequent on vacations. I would proceed to eat about a pound of fudge eat time, feel deathly ill after and swear I’d never do it again. Until the next day. Childhood fudge hangovers – a preview of the proclamations we all make as adults when a little too much alcohol is imbibed?
Enjoy the rest of your trip!

Heather Eats Almond Butter August 9, 2010 at 6:43 pm

Rachael, Oh my gosh, I can’t tell you how many fudge hangovers I had as kid. My mom made a batch of peanut butter and a batch of chocolate every Christmas…much damage done by me to that stuff!

Melissa @ TryingToHeal August 9, 2010 at 4:34 pm

heheheh…fudge baby. and yes, fudge makes your teeth rot. i totally remember making it at the chocolate store on the big marble slab in the window (had to show off my spinning skills!) and let me just say that recipe…heh heh heh. 10 lbs of pure…sugar high!

Heather Eats Almond Butter August 9, 2010 at 6:41 pm

Melissa, Ugh, I would have stuck with the chocolate covered grahams as well. ;)

Michelle August 9, 2010 at 6:32 pm

I have problems with fudge as well. Two bites will instantly calm any chocolate craving.

Pure2raw twins August 9, 2010 at 7:16 pm

Love seeing the picture of you and your fudge baby ; )

I never drink with my meals because it slows down digestion. I never have though, so I am pretty used to it.

http://tanyasdaily.blogspot.com/ August 9, 2010 at 7:27 pm

It depends on what I’m eating ,if I drink with it…something HOT..then yes!
the cherry salsa….sounds so different…sweet tasting.
Thanks for leaving your comment, I appreciate your time!

Heather Eats Almond Butter August 9, 2010 at 7:32 pm

Tanya, You’re welcome, and yes, the cherry salsa was quite different, but quite delicious! :)

Jackie (Peaces of Earth) August 9, 2010 at 8:27 pm

haha, what a cutie patootie fudge baby you have there!!! Almond butter chili?! Such a great idea!!! I could probably just sub the meat for some beans and make it veggie. I rarely drink water with my meals unless what I’m eating is spicy then I’ll chug away! I don’t really know when I got into the habit not to drink, but I guess I’m just too busy enjoying what I’m eating to waste any time on water. :)

Heather Eats Almond Butter August 10, 2010 at 8:23 am

Jackie, I’m the same way – I like to concentrate on my food, and yes, I think beans would be awesome in a veg. version of CD’s chili!

BroccoliHut August 9, 2010 at 9:18 pm

Ooh! I love peanut butter chili, so I bet I would enjoy almond butter chili too. Good work, CD.

Erika August 10, 2010 at 8:07 am

Oooh, that wrap looks so good! Well, actually ALL of your eats look delicious! ;-)

Jill August 10, 2010 at 5:34 pm

I am so happy you and CD went to Petosky!! I spent so much of my childhood there…fun!!! Love your Michigan trip!!! And, yes, fudge…only a little bite at a time…it is pure sugar.

Erin August 10, 2010 at 5:56 pm

Sounds like you’re having fun in MI! I grew up in Traverse City:-) You’re not staying too far from Brown Bridge Pond, which is near my old house. There are nice trails around it.

If you get a chance, check out the yummy infused olive oils and balsamic vinegars downtown in Traverse City at Fustini’s and eat at The Cook’s House on W. Front St. (tiny, but a-mazing) or Trattoria Stella, which is in a converted asylum and uses local ingredients.

Have you been out to the Leelanau Peninsula? It’s my favorite area up there- great wineries and pretty views and good sandwiches at the Village Cheese Shanty in “Fishtown” (a tiny preserved fishing village) in Leland.

Have fun!

Heather Eats Almond Butter August 11, 2010 at 2:13 pm

Erin, Brown Bridge Pond – I’ll have to look into as CD and I are always looking for good trails, and we just went to Traverse City today. We walked by Fustini’s, but there is no way I could have sampled anything as I was so full from lunch. We at at Soul Hole – oh my gosh, so good! Next time we’re there, I’ll have to look for The Cook’s House and Trattoria Stella.

We haven’t been to Leelanau Peninsula, but I’ve heard we must go. It’s on our list! Thanks for all your tips. :)