The Fat Is Back

by HEAB on August 11, 2010

During my first trimester, all I could tolerate was carbs. Honestly, some days the only thing I could get down was a toasted Pop-Tart, frosted brown sugar cinnamon or cherry if you please. :) Can you believe that? I remember feeling so sick and thinking that Pop-Tarts were the only thing that sounded good and sent CD to the store to buy me a box. He actually called me from the cereal aisle at Kroger, and said, Heather Pie, do you know what’s in these things? Hehe, I believe my response was something like, Do not question me. Just bring them home now! I won’t get into who ended up eating most of the box, but I will say that after we both finished it off, there were no more Pop-Tart purchases. At about 15 weeks or so, I slowly began adding more foods back into my diet, but I still wasn’t able to tolerate many of my old favorites. In fact, up until just a few weeks ago, I still had trouble with the smell of certain vegetables cooking, but now I seem to be 100% back to my old self. In other words, I’m eating Brussels sprouts again. :)

I’ve starting to eat a lot more like I used to before the HEABlet came along. For any new readers, I tend to do better on a diet higher in fat with some carbs and protein. I never worry about fat, but I do try and stay away from sugar (although, I’ve had my fair share during the pregnancy). I’m not a fan of low fat anything, and my body tends to stay leaner when I make fat my macronutrient of choice. Think whole eggs over egg whites and salmon over lean chicken. Again, don’t ever fear the fat my friends. Fat will NOT make you fat, and our bodies need it to function. Often, I will do half egg white omelets just to keep the calories lower, but it’s so much better with at least one or two egg yolks in there. Yes, eat the yolk..after all, it contains most of the nutrients!

Here is my lunch and dinner from yesterday, two very typical HEAB-like meals…and yes, CD and I finally made a trip to the grocery store. :)

Salmon salad (leftover cooked salmon filet mixed with hummus, mustard, and dill pickles) served over a bed of wilted spinach with 2 hard boiled eggs.

A HEABified Cobb Salad

My salad consisted of Brussels sprouts and summer squash cooked with bacon and topped with 1/2 chopped avocado, a hardboiled egg, and Hummy Mustard dressing minus the stevia. Although I do and will always love my carbs, I feel much better and more satiated when I eat fat-filled meals. I don’t count fat grams, but when I have tracked it in the past, I typically get about 50 to 60% of my calories from fat, and I go way over the recommended dietary guidelines. Shhh, don’t tell the USDA ;)

We’re all different, and I’m curious to know, does your body prefer a certain macronutrient?

Jessica @ How Sweet August 11, 2010 at 5:27 am

I am lucky in that my body likes higher carbs and moderate fat. I once tried a much higher fat plan and I didn’t like it personally, but it didn’t really affect me too much in my body. I probably get most of my calories from carbs and then equal protein and fat.

Marilou August 11, 2010 at 5:29 am

I love carbs – Dream about it! But carbs don’t love me … or my waist.

I’m full way longer when I eat protein & fat, it curves my snacking habbits.

christina cadden August 11, 2010 at 5:33 am

Those salads look good!

Sarena (The Non-Dairy Queen) August 11, 2010 at 5:33 am

YUMMMMM brown sugar Pop Tarts. I won’t let the boys eat them now because of the HFCS. I need to come up with a good recipe for them. Actually, they won’t eat them because of the HFCS, but that is my fault. Anyway, I love that you found what works for you. That is the best thing about blogging and sharing our experiences! Everybody is different and health is not a “one size fits all” scenario. I go lower in fat than you do, with more protein rich grains (quinoa) and fruits/veggies. Also, I think it is safe to say that I could live on oatmeal and I would be good with that too! I am loving the way I feel with hemp protein lately too. I love eating now, after suffering with food allergies and intolerances for so long, and actually feeling good! Have a great day Heather! I hope it is pretty on the lake!

rebecca lustig August 11, 2010 at 5:40 am

i think its great you, and some of your readers, know what your body wants/needs… something i strive for everyday.

have a wonderful Wednesday dear
love, becca

kristensweetly August 11, 2010 at 5:44 am

Hi Heather! This is my first comment. I am loving your blog. :-)

I’m not sure specifically yet which my body prefers… I used to base most of my meals around a bunch of carbs (and fat, and anything else), but I’ve gotten away from that. I do notice that if I have a breakfast without much protein, I’m craving everything in sight before lunchtime.

I should think about adding more fat into my diet. I think I’m usually worried about getting too much and being able to keep my calories where I want them for the day. But avocado is one of my favorite things; I’m sure it wouldn’t be too hard, hahaha.

Thanks for sharing so much from your Michigan trip; it’s beautiful!!

Heather Eats Almond Butter August 11, 2010 at 6:06 am

Kristensweetly, Thanks so much for reading and for your comment. :) I need a little protein with my meals as well or else I’m hungry an hour after eating, and yes, it shouldn’t be too difficult to add more avocado to your day! ;)

Heather (Perspective Is Everything) August 11, 2010 at 5:53 am

yay for brussel sprout consumption!! :)
glad your feeling back to your old self……..that has to be a relief.
i do well on high fat, moderate carbs, also.

Deva (Voracious Vorilee) August 11, 2010 at 6:05 am

I am a protein girl – I feel satisfied longer if my meal includes both protein and fat – like eggs with cheese, oatmeal with milk and peanut butter, etc.

SmittenKitchen.com has a good recipe for homemade pop tarts – I keep looking into trying it out, but my kitchen isn’t very large.

Heather Eats Almond Butter August 11, 2010 at 6:09 am

Deva, Homemade pop-tarts?!? I must look into this. Thanks! :)

Veggiesmack August 11, 2010 at 6:06 am

My body does best with plenty of healthy carbs (veggies, fruit, brown rice). Too much protein or fat throws me out of whack. I’ve gotta have my carbs.

homecookedem August 11, 2010 at 6:09 am

Omg, I often think back to those first trimester days… so weird!! All I wanted were carbs… and bland carbs… oh and eggo waffles were the only thing I could get down in the morning! So funny how we both had similar experiences, but now like you, I’m eating pretty much as I did pre-pregnancy and can finally stomach nut butters again.

Heather Eats Almond Butter August 11, 2010 at 3:08 pm

Em, You know I loved my Eggos too..still do. :)

Kristin (Cook, Bake and Nibble) August 11, 2010 at 6:14 am

You know what? Three years of nutrition studies in University and I am DONE with the USDA. Yeah, yeah, I know they mean well. But we have an obesity epidemic on our hands and no one has stopped to think… maybe it should be a little more individualized? Which is why I quit nutrition school, am becoming a chef and holistic nutritionist, where I can help people, like you, figure out that 50-30-20 i s NOT for everyone. I love fat and I love protein, and as much as I love carbs… they don’t love me as much :D Ok, off my soapbox for now.

Oh, and that Cobb salad looks great. :D

xo
Kris

Heather Eats Almond Butter August 11, 2010 at 3:47 pm

Kris, Jump on that soapbox anytime! I think it’s awesome that you’re training to become a chef and holistic nutritionist. You are going to help a lot of people…so preach on! :)

nikkionlunch August 11, 2010 at 6:15 am

I couldn’t say exactly on that one, but I have been trying to eat a lot more natural foods rather than processed ones, and that has made me feel a TON better. When I eat processed now (high carbs and sugars) I get REALLY sleepy.

sweetersalt August 11, 2010 at 6:25 am

My fiance loves poptarts, so I’ve gotten him hooked on Nature’s Path “Toaster Pastries” which are all natural and organic. Not a bad stand-in!

laura

Heather Eats Almond Butter August 11, 2010 at 3:48 pm

Laurel, I thought about getting the Nature’s Path Toaster Pastries, but then decided, nah, I want the HFCS and all. Awful, I know, but so freaking good! ;)

Kristin Russell August 11, 2010 at 6:28 am

When we were in high school, and the whole no-fat craze started, I actually GAINED weight because of all the sugar and extra calories. If I don’t have fat, I can eat endlessly. It’s much better for me to eat smaller portions of things that actually satisfy me, and that means having fat and protein, and things that taste good.

Heather Eats Almond Butter August 11, 2010 at 3:49 pm

Kristin, Yeah, don’t even get me started on how much damage I did with bagels back in the day. I still fear them. ;)

Nicole - yuppieyogini.com August 11, 2010 at 6:31 am

Maybe I need to be preggers for this to work. Fat is my macronutrient of choice too, but it’s not working so well for my thighs :-/

ilovefetacheese August 11, 2010 at 6:38 am

Protein is my highest macronutrient because it makes me feel the most energized…but definitely carb is at the bottom. I crash like no other from carbs…even rice. The only ones that really are ok for me are sweet potatoes (which thankfully…I LOVE). I’m glad you’re feeling good enough to eat more types of foods! Thats excellent. I wish fat could be my #1 macronutrient, since I as well love the nut butters, but I end up feeling lethargic if I have too much. Have a great day girl!

Heather Eats Almond Butter August 11, 2010 at 3:51 pm

I love feta, You and CD have similar tastes – sweet potatoes are always his #1 carb of choice. :)

Marina August 11, 2010 at 6:51 am

Because of you, I started eating more fat, enjoying fatty foods without guilt. Peanut butter, whole eggs, real butter…
Real food is the best food :)

Heather Eats Almond Butter August 11, 2010 at 3:51 pm

Marina, Your comment makes me very happy – thanks for sharing! :)

Evan Thomas August 11, 2010 at 6:56 am

I will always gravitate towards fat, too. Then again, I can’t deny a good steak or chicken craving now and again

melissa @ the delicate place August 11, 2010 at 7:02 am

i’m a high fat girl too, i just looked and yesterday i ate 80g of fat, 50g protein and 45g carbs. i thrive on that :) i tried high protein by that pretty much left me :cough: backed up so to speak. i <3 my fat! i got my fat up yesterday by eating 1/2 avocado, some eggs and slathering my veggies in tahini. i love tahini on anything. straight up!

Heather Eats Almond Butter August 11, 2010 at 3:53 pm

Melissa, I used to dump tahini on everything. Loved it straight up too, but it’s the one food that I still don’t really want to eat right now. I had a bad experience with it that first month I was pregnant. :( I hope the love comes back soon as it made such an easy “dressing” for all my veggies.

Jenn (Jenn's Menu and Lifestyle Blog) August 11, 2010 at 7:04 am

That salad looks AMAZING!

My body is happiest on a high carb diet. Lower carbs makes me feel yucky and water-logged. I’m fortunate to even be able to lose weight on a high carb diet, but I don’t obsess with certain body fat percentages or anything like that.

Jenn

partners31 August 11, 2010 at 7:15 am

My body does not do well on starchy carbs from whole grains. And I have keep sugar completely out. I do well on high protein and moderate healthy fats, with tons of veggies thrown in.

Erika August 11, 2010 at 7:18 am

Glad you are able to eat what you enjoy again! Heather’s eating almond butter again! Yay! :-)

Heather Eats Almond Butter August 11, 2010 at 3:54 pm

Erika, “Yay” is right! :)

Texas Gunslinger August 11, 2010 at 7:18 am

I’m a 40% protein, 40% carb and 20% fat- kinda gal, though if I had to have more of one macro-nutrient it would be PROTEIN first, FAT second and CARB last. For some reason too many carbs make me feel “off”.

couchpotatoathlete August 11, 2010 at 7:26 am

I do best with a mixture of all of them. Whenever I try to cut down intake on fat, protein or carbs, I just don’t feel right. I aim for a good balance of all of them with each meal.

brianne August 11, 2010 at 7:34 am

so happy about this post – i’m a fat eater, too : ) and i do try to get my protein needs met first, just because sometimes it’s hard…but the remainder of my diet is mostly fat.

Erin G August 11, 2010 at 7:36 am

How I wish that I understood that “fat doesn’t make you fat” concept when I was a teenager. I was obsessed with eating super low fat foods, but would eat a lot of bread because it was lo-cal as well as many other questionable food items. I don’t know where I got that idea, because my mom was all about the avocados and olive oil. I’m just glad I snapped out of it, and now I’m trying to include all types of food in my diet, especially healthy fats and protein!
Thanks for sharing about your thoughts on the USDA. :)

Heather Eats Almond Butter August 11, 2010 at 3:55 pm

Erin, Hehe – you’re welcome, and I grew up in the “low fat” culture as well…oh the damage I did to box after box of Snackwells. Glad we have both come to our senses! :)

Jeannette August 11, 2010 at 7:45 am

How do you know what your body prefers? I think I currently am pretty balanced with carbs, protein and fat, but I’m not losing weight like I want, so if you have any resources for trying out different diets or knowing what works best for your body, I’d love to hear about them.
Thanks!
Jen

Heather Eats Almond Butter August 11, 2010 at 3:56 pm

Jen, I’m going to blog about this topic on Friday, and so please stay tuned. :)

Nicole August 11, 2010 at 7:45 am

Brown sugar Pop Tarts were my absolute favorites! I haven’t had a Pop Tart in a looonngg time and the last one I did have were the low sugar ones…without the frosting. Boo.
Glad you made it to the store!! Your salads look awesome!
I’m still trying to figure out what works for me nutrient wise. I was looking through old posts from this time last year and I was eating a higher fat, lower carb diet and I remember feeling great. I was eating a lot of HEAB and Polly-esque meals (chicken with AB wrapped in bib lettuce, tons of veggies with hummus and lots of hard boiled eggs)
I don’t know if it was because I was training for the half marathon but I staretd eating more carbs and noticed a difference (however I’m dealing with the whole PCOS thing so it’s hard to tell what was causing the change)

Heather Eats Almond Butter August 11, 2010 at 3:46 pm

Nicole, I know you’re struggling, but you will get this all figured out. Sending a hug your way, and thanks for the reminder of the Polly chicken + AB + bib lettuce combo. Gosh, I love that girl and her eats!

Meg August 11, 2010 at 8:00 am

I used to feast on at least ten Brown Sugar Cinnamon Pop Tarts a week as a child ;) Hehe. My body loves all macros I think – and I’m thankful for that, because they’re all so beneficial, especially fats. Nut butters are my weakness. That cobb salad looks like it could become a weakness too ;)

Enjoy your day, Heather!

Chandra August 11, 2010 at 8:08 am

I’m so glad the fat is back!! I rely on your blog for my supper inspiration :) I had forgotten about sauted brussels and everything else with bacon until this weekend and it’s back as my current fave!

Heather Eats Almond Butter August 11, 2010 at 3:44 pm

Chandra, So happy to be your supper inspiration. Really, that has me grinning from ear to ear, and I’m happy to hear we’re both enjoying the Brussels + bacon once again! Gosh, you must have been getting really tired of eating Reese’s cups for dinner every night, no? ;)

lizlivingvegan August 11, 2010 at 8:12 am

Ohhh I totally want to try the Hummy Mustard dressing! that looks so good! :)

tanyasdaily August 11, 2010 at 8:18 am

glad you are able to eat it now…I like it..it keeps me full.
those brown sugar poptarts were my favorite all time as a kid!

40apples August 11, 2010 at 8:19 am

I’ve always been more carb-oriented, and I think my body can handle more carbs better than fat. Often it’s because a lot of fattier things are just too rich for my stomach. However in the last few months I’ve upped my protein with significantly more healthy fats than I had been eating before, and honestly I think my body is loving it. I think it’s about eating the right kind of fats – nuts, coconut, avocado, etc. That stuff’s perfectly fine on my tummy. Cheese, fried stuff, heavy meat: ouch!

Glad you’re able to eat all the good stuff again! :)

Laura August 11, 2010 at 8:24 am

I’m still in the first trimester, though almost into the second, and I’m glad to hear that someday I may get my taste for actual food back. I underwent a transformation five years ago-completely changed my lifestyle. I gave up refined sugars and pre-packaged foods. I started eating healthy whole foods and started exercising; I lost 75 pounds and maintained that loss long term.

Then along came this (very much wanted and worked for-I’m not complaining) pregnancy, and everything I learned about healthy eating went right out the window. I actually had a Slurpee (omg!) and Easy Mac yesterday. In fact, all I can seem to keep down is Easy Mac, and I HATE the stuff! My daily green smoothie is no more, because even -thinking- about it makes me queasy, and I also can’t stomach my beloved oatmeal with peanut butter and bananas.

My body used to be happiest with protein, but these days it seems that liquid sugar is the way to go!

Heather Eats Almond Butter August 11, 2010 at 3:42 pm

Laura, Although I know it doesn’t seem possible right now, I promise you will be drinking those green smoothies again one of these. Just eat what you can for now and worry about nutrition when the food aversions end. Pregnancy is a whole different world, and although it was hard, I learned that I just had to let go of many of my “food rules”, and it’s been such a liberating experience.

Again, do what you can, and don’t be too hard on yourself. You’ll be back to your former ways of eating before you know it, and many congrats to you on your weight loss and pregnancy! :)

Jenn (GH) August 11, 2010 at 8:26 am

I eat a TON of fat too and rarely if ever buy low-fat products. I eat real butter, coconut oil, nuts, and whole milk (raw when I can afford it) every day. I also eat quite of bit of avocado, salmon, and red meat. (I don’t buy into the read meat is bad for you at all as long as it’s high quality.) I’m not sure what my bodies macronutrient of choice is b/c I just go with what I’m feeling for the day but it’s not unusual for me to have 40-60% fat for the day.

Cathy August 11, 2010 at 8:34 am

I have no idea what kind of eater I am and what I do best on. I crave cookies/sugar/carbs like any other person. I try to eat a very healthy, balanced diet though, in spite of these cravings: high vegetables/fruit, high fat, low on protein. But I’ve never known if switching this up would make me feel more energized? I have had days where I had meat at two meals and felt too heavy. I have had meals where I had grains at every meal and felt full too much. I have had days where i’ve eaten way too many fruits/veggies and have felt bloated all day. isn’t it just about a balance with everything? and not heavy on any part? help me distinguish what kind of eater I am because I’m having a hard time understanding how you are are figuring this out..

Heather Eats Almond Butter August 11, 2010 at 3:40 pm

Cathy, I’m going to blog all about this topic sometime later this week – perhaps Friday as others have asked me about how I figured out the best way of eating for me. So stay tuned, and I hope the post will help you. For some people is all about balance and for others, I think they need more of one thing then the other. Again, I promise to write about it soon!

Viviane August 11, 2010 at 8:40 am

Hi Heather,

Your salmon/hummus/pickles combo looks delicious! I must try that very soon!

I tried the vegan whole grain/low protein thing and it did not work for me AT ALL. Usually we hear people feeling so much better once they go vegan but not me. Since I have (hereditary, I guess) hypoglycemia, I need to have good protein and fat sources at every meal to sustain my blood sugar. According to my doctor, I do not absorb the protein from legumes and nuts well so the only way for me is to add animal protein and healthy fats in combination to the carbs.

I’m really glad to have finally found a combination that works for me, I feel so much better!

Heather Eats Almond Butter August 11, 2010 at 3:37 pm

Viviane, I’m glad you found a combo that works for you as well, and I’m happy to hear you’re feeling better! :)

Tina August 11, 2010 at 8:50 am

I respect you so much for showing that fat will not make you fat. It’s all about intake and consuming quality foods that satisfy you. Doesn’t it feel great to be able to eat your favorites again?

Heather Eats Almond Butter August 11, 2010 at 3:36 pm

Tina, Yes, it does! :)

Liz @ Tip Top Shape August 11, 2010 at 8:53 am

For me pairing carbs and protein really does it. But to be honest, I feel like I am always hungry. I can have a big bowl of oatmeal with nutbutter and I will still be hungry two hours later.

Heather Eats Almond Butter August 11, 2010 at 3:36 pm

Liz, Do you ever add chia seeds to your oat? They add a good dose of fiber and always make my oat bowls much more filling!

Christina August 11, 2010 at 8:57 am

I’m still trying to figure out what works best for my body. As a teen in the 90s I’ve been scarred by the ‘low fat’ diet. I have been scared of fat for a long time. I’ve tracked on sparkpeople in the past and I’m always on the low end of fat, high end on carbs, and usually medium on the protein in the ranges they give me. I’m slowly trying to work more fat into my diet and balance it out with less carbs to see how I feel, but it’s hard. I keep thinking that fat is going to make me gain back the weight I’ve gotten off! It is mentally challenging. I always have lots of veggies and fruit (think 8-10 servings/day), because I really do love them!

Were you afraid of fat at one point? How did you overcome the fear? I’ve thought about ‘upgrading’ from fat free greek yogurt to the low fat version because it’s only about 30 calories difference and I might be more satisfied with the low fat yogurt. BUT I’m scared and that holds me back every time I go to the grocery store.

Heather Eats Almond Butter August 11, 2010 at 3:34 pm

Christina, I have never feared fat. I ate it throughout my weight loss and everyday for the last 10 or so years. Again, my body seems to do well on a good amount of fat, but I know my way of eating doesn’t work for everyone. So, honestly, I never had to “overcome” the fear.

My advice to you is do not fear the 2% Greek yogurt, especially if it satiates you more than the fat free version, and keep in mind that our ancestors didn’t skim the fat off anything. Full fat is the way nature intended us to eat our foods. :)

Michelle (Housewife in the Raw) August 11, 2010 at 9:00 am

Fat is my macronutrient of choice too. As I’m moving to a high raw diet, my grain based carb consumption has gone much lower and I really do feel better.

As for pregnancy, I craved starchy carbs for the first trimester with both kids. Lots of mashed potatoes, pasta with butter and bread. Green vegetables made me gag. Thankfully, it miraculously got better in the 4th month and I could eat like normal again.

I was working in R&D for a food company with both pregnancies. With my first, I was working on pancakes, which isn’t a bad thing to eat several times a day in the first trimester. With my second, I was working on salsa, a beef product and highly seasoned vegetables. Needless to say, it was a struggle to get my work done and objectively evaluate the products. :)

Heather Eats Almond Butter August 11, 2010 at 3:31 pm

Michelle, Oh gosh, I don’t think I could have even handled the pancake project much less the salsa/beef/veggie one. Kudos to your for surviving your workload. I think I may have gotten fired. ;)

Carbzilla August 11, 2010 at 9:02 am

I had salmon & avocado on my salad yesterday too! I also made hb eggs, but I’m getting so discouraged about the shell peeling situation. Do you cook yours off the heat (I bring boil, then let them sit off the heat for 10 mins, then plunge into ice bath)? They were pretty fresh eggs – maybe that’s the problem.

Anyhoo, though the weight hasn’t been racing off of me, I’ve been very happy on low-sugar, low-carbs. The protein and the fats make all the difference for my body. Once I get through a couple of life things, I plan on exercising more, and I think that’ll make all the difference. I need fuel for my body and brain!

Heather Eats Almond Butter August 11, 2010 at 3:29 pm

Carbzilla, I have the same problem with hardboiled eggs sometimes, but I thought it was the older eggs that didn’t peel well. I’ve also heard that adding baking soda to the boiling water helps makes the eggs easier to peel. I think I tried it once, but I can’t remember if it worked or not. Anyway, I just put my eggs in pot of water, and bring the water to boil on the stovetop for about 12 to 14 minutes. I then run them under cold water until cool to the touch and peel away.

Christina August 11, 2010 at 9:24 am

Just to be clear – I LOVE my nut butters. But I only have 1/2T at a time, because I’m afraid of having more.

(wouldn’t want you thinking I’m no longer in love with Justin ;) )

Gracie August 11, 2010 at 9:28 am

FAT LOVER OVER HERE! Which, is why HEAB is a daily read of mine. In fact, I credit you for helping me realize my love/dependence on the nutrient ;) Those meals actually make my mouth water more than seeing “carby” meals.

Heather Eats Almond Butter August 11, 2010 at 3:27 pm

Gracie, I knew you were a fellow fat lover, and that’s why I love you. :)

julie August 11, 2010 at 9:40 am
Heather Eats Almond Butter August 11, 2010 at 3:26 pm

Julie, I heard about Pop-Tarts world, and if I’m ever in NYC, I’m totally going. No shame! ;)

Tabitha August 11, 2010 at 9:46 am

Oh that egg/salmon salad looks so uplifting!

I need to have carb heavy meals, if I don’t I just can’t get full, I always eat full fat too.

annecalista August 11, 2010 at 9:55 am

I don’t know what my body prefers, but I think I tend to eat along the classic Food Pyramid guidelines, with carbs as my base, then lots of fruits and vegetables, and moderate fat and protein. These days I eat lost of whole grains, and I like it :-)

Lara (Thinspired) August 11, 2010 at 9:59 am

Hooray for fats!

As you know, I’m still trying to figure out my ideal macronutrient ratios. Um, this has been going on for about 2 years. I *think* the answer is still a balance, but that just seems to easy, so I keep trying alternatives. When will I learn?!

eatmovelove August 11, 2010 at 10:17 am

I love my carbs for sure – but definitely Fats as well. Nut butters, cheese, hummus, cheese again…:) – and love my meat too – so I guess I can’t be “defined”?!

I think hard-boiled eggs are the best way to have eggs! The yolks are my fave.

eatmovelove August 11, 2010 at 10:21 am

Oh – and when you talk about Summer Squash…is that a particular type of Squash?? I know there are Summers Squashes(?) – like Zucchini…and winter ones like acorn, etc.

Heather Eats Almond Butter August 11, 2010 at 3:57 pm

Eatmovelove, By summer squash, I mean the yellow zucchini squash. :)

Kat @ My Fruity Life August 11, 2010 at 10:28 am

I have always been a high carb lover! The fats I splurge on are nut butters, fish and avocado. I could eat carbs all day long, too many fats give me a tummy ache!

Michelle August 11, 2010 at 10:41 am

My body craves carbs. My midnight snack almost always ends up being cereal or toast cause I’m absolutely cravvving it. Nobody else in my household craves whole grains like I do.

Heather Eats Almond Butter August 11, 2010 at 3:25 pm

Michelle, I’m the same way at night. I love eating oats or baked sweet potatoes post dinner. I swear the carbs help me sleep better.

45before35 August 11, 2010 at 11:15 am

Don’t be too hard on yourself about Pop Tarts. Having just finished a pregnancy not too long ago -you do what you have to do – it is a day by day kinda deal. I also had issues with some veggies – specifically baked cauliflower (which I love with olive oil) – smelled so rank during my pregnancy I forbid it in my house. I have yet to have it again. Maybe tonight:)

Freckled Foodie August 11, 2010 at 11:15 am

i say we start a “hug a fat” movement :D

<3333 avocado, eggs, nuts, seeds, salmon!

Heather Eats Almond Butter August 11, 2010 at 3:23 pm

Freckled Foodie, It’s been done: http://chocolatecoveredkatie.com/2010/05/04/hug-a-fat/. :)

Jenny August 11, 2010 at 11:18 am

meals look so good!!!

Emilia August 11, 2010 at 11:24 am

I’m SOOOOO glad you devoted a post to “fat” because I couldn’t agree more. I hate what our society has come to; fat is BAD, therefore chose “skim, low- fat, non-fat, egg-whites, etc.”….yiy get the picture. Yes, if you’re eating burger king and mcdonalds….and Krispy cream :) every day you will gain weight. But eating fat in it’s most natural state– the way it’s SUPPOSED to be– like whole organic milk, total (full- fat) greek yogurt, full- fat cheese, butter, WHOLE eggs is just fine. Our body NEEDS the fat to function.

I actually have a website that talks about just that same thing. I got it from a friend a while back who eats a full- fat diet and no carbs. Carbs are fine– in my opinion whole grain (most natural state) is best– but fat is great. Here it is: http://www.second-opinions.co.uk/.

Check the website out– it’s great and it’s in total agreement with what you’re saying. I do agree, what is wrong with fat? Nothing. When you balance it with protein and vegetables it’s great. My friend has been following a full- fat diet for two years now and has lower cholesterol and weight because of it.

Fat works, people, fat works :)

…let me know what you think about the website!

Heather Eats Almond Butter August 11, 2010 at 3:22 pm

Emilia, You’re so cute, and I could not agree with you more. Thanks for the link – I’m going to check out the site here in a bit and report back. Hope all is well over in the UK! :)

Averie (LoveVeggiesAndYoga) August 11, 2010 at 11:28 am

Omg my 1st tri I lived on CARBS!!!!! I didnt care that I couldnt digest gluten, I was already puking, so what the hell…just eat some gluten and make myself miserable even more so b/c honestly, the only thing that sounded good, was white cards, i.e. saltines, pretzels, etc. So I ate them. And I loved white carbs like no other time in my life my 1st tri. Then, I started eating more greens, produce, and pretty much ate my “normal” way of eating, best I could, the rest of my preg. But for me it was junky white crackers, and you it was poptarts. Oh I can relate :)

You know regarding the whole eggs things…if one is going to eat eggs, they should eat the WHOLE egg. Whites, yolk, the whole thing b/c one helps to digest, balance, and complement the other. This is why raw milk advocates would say drinking raw, whole milk. The digestive enzymes and fat in whole raw milk are there for a reason and it’s when we pasteurize and spin off the fat and create homogenized skim milk that we run into problems. Now I am not a dairy advocate period, but I respect the line of thinking.

Macronutrient…I do like carbs, not refined carbs, but the carbs one would find in fresh produce and can live off that. I need very little protein. I am what is called a slow metabolic oxidizer of protein. Google it if you’re curious. I’d say you’re fast. I did a whole post about this. It’s on my sidebar popular posts if you’re curious, called Protein FAQs Myths and Tips.

Have a great day,Heather!

Heather Eats Almond Butter August 11, 2010 at 3:20 pm

Averie, Oh, I did some damage to a box of Saltines or two during those first few months, and gosh, they are GOOD! I’d forgotten.

I remember your slow metabolic oxidizer post – I think I clicked on a took quiz you had linked to. Can’t remember what my result was though. I should take it again. :) My body doesn’t need a whole lot of protein either. When I focus on protein, I feel gross and gain weight. I prefer fat and carbs. :)

Kendall August 11, 2010 at 12:12 pm

I love this question. I think it’s so great how if you are in tune with your body, and eat mostly whole foods you really can answer this question with confidence. I’ve experimented alot since I started reading your blog. I wouldn’t say I feared fat before, but I’ve learned to embrace it more. That said, I definitely eat my fair share of good fats, but have come to learn that my body does better on a higher carb (complex, of course) diet, with probably equal amounts fat and protein. Being a strict pescetarian much of my fat and protein come in the same package anyway. I don’t eat fish every day, and I rarely feel too run down without high levels of protein. Eggs a few times a week and then nuts and legumes and small amounts of dairy throughout seem to get me by just fine. So yeah, I’ve found a good balance and feel my best and the most satisfied when I am eating plenty of carbs, and while not watching my fat too closely, not overdoing it. I’ve tried fat happy, lower carb weeks and always end up feeling a little sluggish. And at the base of my diet is always tons of veggies and plenty of fruit. I steer clear of refined sugars but moderate amounts of natural sweeteners don’t seem to be a problem. I guess I felt like sharing all of that because alot of this knowledge has come from reading your blog over the past year. I think when left to our own devices, our body tells us what we need. I know this is pretty much how I’ve always eaten, but I now recognize it as what really does work for me and I appreciate the fact that I have been able to identify that through, I guess, learning about what works for you!

Heather Eats Almond Butter August 11, 2010 at 3:17 pm

Kendall, Thanks so much for sharing – you sound so in tune with your body these days, and I’m honored my blog helped play a role in that. :)

Pure2Raw Twins August 11, 2010 at 12:20 pm

We love our fats too!!! Definitely fill our best and FULL from eating high healthy fat foods. I seriously have an avocado everyday!!

Megan @ Healthy Hoggin' August 11, 2010 at 12:31 pm

My body tends to respond better to a higher-fat content, too! In fact, as soon as I stopped worrying about my fat-intake, and started enjoying more raw nuts, seeds, avocados and oils, my body started dropping weight rather quickly! Go figure. ;)

Willow August 11, 2010 at 12:40 pm

I am definitely a protein person. My body loves it! My skin clears up, I have more energy and I feel sooooo satisfied after a protein heavy meal. It took a while, but I’ve generally weaned myself off most grain-based carbs other than the complex ones like bulgur, kamut, millet and quinoa. Since I’m a vegetarian I still get a good dose of healthy carbs from many of my protein sources (like beans).

Doesn’t it feel good to finally find a place where your body is happy? :-)

Heather Eats Almond Butter August 11, 2010 at 3:15 pm

Willow, Yes, it does! :)

charlotte August 11, 2010 at 1:01 pm

I’m still experimenting on myself but I will say that I have upped my fat intake considerably since I read your last post on this subject and my body seems to be digging it! Oh coconut oil, how do I love thee? And I’m so happy that you are a) eating what your body wants and b) feeling so much better now! The second tri really is the best:)

Heather Eats Almond Butter August 11, 2010 at 3:14 pm

Charlotte, It makes me happy to hear that you are loving on some fats too. Really, I don’t know what I did before I discovered coconut oil…oh wait, I remember, I used PAM. Yuck. :( And yes, I can finally say I’m enjoying being pregnant. 2nd tri is soooo much better than the first!

Katie August 11, 2010 at 1:26 pm

You need to take a vacation to NY city next… http://www.nytimes.com/2010/08/09/business/09poptart.html?_r=1&scp=1&sq=pop-tart&st=cse

I have tried to eat the high fat route, but my body does NOT like it. I try to get some with every meal, but I am a high-carb girl. But, by carbs, I mean fruits and veg. I don’t eat the grains too much.

Heather Eats Almond Butter August 11, 2010 at 3:12 pm

Katie, Oh my gosh, I got a sugar high just reading about Pop Tarts World – some of those creations sound downright disgusting, but I would LOVE to build my own Pop-Tart if given the chance. :)

Danielle (Runs on Green) August 11, 2010 at 1:30 pm

Preach on HEABS :)

I’m glad brussels have come back into your life! I’m about to go make some now…

plamarie August 11, 2010 at 1:53 pm

Oh, pop tarts, yes they are good. I think I long for them every couple of years. At that rate, I say it is all ok ;) Glad to hear you are craving your favorites again!

Mary @ Bites and Bliss August 11, 2010 at 2:15 pm

My body definitely craves carbs more than anything. I’ve increased my protein and eat enoguh fat, too..but carbs are the only thing that really give me energy. Which makes sense cause that’s what they’re *supposed* to do.

CD’s nickname for you is cute, by the way. :)

Heather Eats Almond Butter August 11, 2010 at 3:09 pm

Mary, Here is the story behind the nickname: http://heathereatsalmondbutter.com/2009/10/28/heather-pie/ :)

A Teenage Gourmet August 11, 2010 at 2:16 pm

Salmon Salad with hummus is such a good idea! . . . My body prefers protein! I hardly ever eat red meat, but I’m making burgers tonight. :)

Laura August 11, 2010 at 2:28 pm

YOLKS all the way……the yolks are the best part!! xx

ladybugbeauty August 11, 2010 at 3:59 pm

Brussel Sprouts you get such a bad rep but I loveeeeeeeeeeeeee you.

j August 11, 2010 at 4:03 pm

Here is a link to HOMEMADE POPTARTS (yes there is such a thing) without the hydrogenated oils, preservatives, and corn syrup for anyone interested. I have subbed out half the white flour for whole wheat pastry flour with good results. Can you imagine a poptart filled with chocolate-hazlenut butter…. ok that’s it I’m off to bake a batch of these!

Heather Eats Almond Butter August 11, 2010 at 4:09 pm

J, No, I cannot imagine…I must make these when I get back to Nashville. Thanks so much for the link. :)

BroccoliHut August 11, 2010 at 4:24 pm

First, let me say that I now have a wicked hard boiled egg craving, thankyouverymuch.
I would say that my body now craves fat. Sadly, I was always kind of on a low-fat diet as a kid–I was a little chunky, and my parents were totally taken by the low-fat craze of the 90s. I think I’m making up for lost time with my nut butter habit now:)

Lisa (bakebikeblog) August 11, 2010 at 4:31 pm

ooooh now THIS is one tasty looking salad!!!!

Healthy Coconut August 11, 2010 at 5:07 pm

I’m still playing around with the macronutrient thing. I know that I like to eat healthy fats and my body likes it too. If I include avocado in my meal, I’m more satisfied and stay full longer. I eat equal amounts of carbs and protein.

Amber at Berlin's Whimsy August 11, 2010 at 5:17 pm

I’m with you on the fat content—-I don’t worry about the percentage of fats as long as I feel that they’re healthy fats. I don’t do processed fats but I love avocado, salmon, and eggs and the like (natural).

Great to hear you’re doing well!

Lauren August 11, 2010 at 6:10 pm

I am definitely a fat and protein girl- eggs, fish, avocado, olive and coconut oils and nut butters. I am also a no sugar and veryyyy little fruit girl. My body does NOT like fruit. I feel best when my carbs are coming from beans, quinoa, millet and buckwheat. :)

Heather Eats Almond Butter August 12, 2010 at 7:02 am

Lauren, I think we have the same body as I don’t do well with a lot of fruit either, but I can’t help myself in the summer. Love berry and peach season! :)

c August 11, 2010 at 6:33 pm

Just remember that when you are pregnant your body needs carbs and such so trying to go “low” anything isn’t good for your or your baby! Save those restrictions for post baby.

Stay healthy!

Heather Eats Almond Butter August 12, 2010 at 7:11 am

C, Trust me, there are still plenty of carbs happening…just no more Pop-Tarts. ;)

Stephanie@ avocado nation August 11, 2010 at 6:48 pm

I think I need a good amount of carbs and fat. Too much protein only and I get depressed. Only fat and I get mushy. Only carbs and I get bloated. I need it all in balance.

kelsey@snackingsquirrel.com August 11, 2010 at 6:51 pm

i always feel much more balanced when im eating complete proteins like salmon, yogurt or eggs. hmm im not sure about the above comment. i think getting lots of good healthy fats and from pure animal sources is extremely important and too many carbs is just as bad as too little. i think ur meals are very balanced and healthy and i dont see much reason for anyone to worry.

xoxo <3

Heather Eats Almond Butter August 12, 2010 at 7:10 am

Thanks for the support Kelsey! :)

kelsey@snackingsquirrel.com August 11, 2010 at 6:52 pm

oops, someone else commented.. mine was in reply to the comment posted by ‘C’

Jamie August 11, 2010 at 7:03 pm

I am a fat/protein gal! Although I am addicted to bob’s hot buckwheat cereal with protein powder, cinnamon & almond butter mixed in, over unsweetened frozen cherries!! But I can’t do any sort of bread whatsoever or I immediately get a muffin top, so I mainly stick to [healthy] fats & proteins!

Heather Eats Almond Butter August 12, 2010 at 7:10 am

Jamie, Ah, the muffin top. Sugar is what does it for me – a lot of bread too, but I seem to do fine with oats, etc. Your buckwheat combo sounds like something I would love. I think I could eat my weight in frozen cherries!

Monique@She's Going The Distance August 11, 2010 at 7:47 pm

I have cholesterol problems so I tend to stick with lower fat items and stray far far away from eating egg yolks (unless I’m baking :) ). Are you going crazy with all these random food cravings?!?! hehe :) Glad you can eat semi-normal for the time being…!

Heather Eats Almond Butter August 12, 2010 at 7:08 am

Monique, I was a bit crazy for a few months there, but now things are settling down. One minute I would have killed for a grilled cheese and the next minute all I wanted was orange juice. So glad I’m feeling like my normal self once again!

Michelle August 11, 2010 at 8:39 pm

I wish wish wish that fat was the macro that worked best for me! sadly, I gain weight just thinking of cashew butter :( I’m protein-carb-fat which is a constant struggle. I love that brussel sprout cobb salad!

Laurie August 11, 2010 at 8:52 pm

My body craves sweets once a week at least. So, I chose Saturday as my “Cheat Day” and I eat way out of the “clean” range w/both sugar and fat. It’s basically the only day that I crave beef, too, so the main course for dinner on Saturday is usually burgers (still no roll). I usually wind the week down w/a serving of dark chocolate or a serving of whatever dessert I make the family for Sunday dinner. Then it is back to “clean” eating and daily exercise. From what I understand this change from the norm once a week also wakes up your metabolism and gets it moving again.

Heather Eats Almond Butter August 12, 2010 at 7:06 am

Laurie, Wow, I wished my body only craved sweets about once a week. It’s more like a daily thing for me. :) And yes, I agree, it’s good to shake up our metabolisms every so often and keep the body guessing!

eatmovewrite August 11, 2010 at 8:52 pm

My body adores carbohydrates with a passion. Their best friends, but unfortunately if fat doesn’t make you fat, carbs DO. It’s a constant battle for me.

Have I mentioned how completely awesome I think it is that you’re pregnant!!! We’re trying, so I hope I’ll be able to say the same thing soon enough!

Heather Eats Almond Butter August 12, 2010 at 7:05 am

Eatmovewrite, Thanks so much and best of luck to you. It WILL happen, and I’m just an email away if you ever need any encouragement. CD didn’t have the easiest time, and I am so grateful the HEABlet finally came along! :)

yogiclarebear August 11, 2010 at 8:58 pm

i credit you heather and MRS maggie to helping me release my fear of egg yolks. from one (WHOLE) hard boiled egg lover to another, thank you.

Heather Eats Almond Butter August 12, 2010 at 7:04 am

Clare, You’re welcome, and I bet your body is thanking you for those whole yolks. So good for the mind and soul as well, no?

Sarah August 11, 2010 at 9:14 pm

I will have to say that first trimester I lived on saltines, milk, and brown rice. I have been able to add some things back. Lately I have been craving muffins. Not just any muffins..Bran Muffins. Your salad looks great. I need to hard boil some in the morning.

Cooking in the pocket August 11, 2010 at 10:41 pm

I totally agree you with you. Body needs fat…. good fat. Ingredients form reduced fat or non fat products make me @#$%$&^*%$@… btw salad looks num num num!!! hard boiled eggs are so good with everything….

kaztronomic August 12, 2010 at 12:03 am

I live for fat. I think that it’s one of the things I eat the most of — probably half my daily calories come from it, no doubt. :D Glad I’m not the only one!

Christina August 12, 2010 at 7:32 am

I know all of that, but sometimes it’s good to hear it from someone else. In honor of loving fat, I made fudgy oatmeal custard for breakfast with a whole egg and had peanut butter as a topping :) My tummy is still happy and by now I would usually be looking for a snack.

I will conquer my fat fear! To be honest, it’s not that hard ;)

Heather Eats Almond Butter August 12, 2010 at 8:03 am

Christina, You’re welcome, and your breakfast sounds delicious. So happy to hear it filled your belly with such goodness! :)

sara August 12, 2010 at 12:31 pm

I’m still trying to figure out what works for me. Admittedly, I don’t eat much fat. Its so hard to add it back into my diet when I’ve been taught to fear it! I’m working on it though.

I admire you for having figured out what works best for your body. Your blog and other healthy eating blogs have been helping me to try new things to see what works best!

Heather Eats Almond Butter August 12, 2010 at 12:33 pm

Sara, Thanks so much – it’s comments like yours that remind me why I blog. :)

Lindsay August 12, 2010 at 3:42 pm

Thank you so much for writing this! I ate so healthy before I got pregnant, whole foods, prided myself on cooking, very little sugar or salt, whole grain, lots of veggies, etc. I am 12 weeks today and only tolerate veggies sometimes! I have been living on eggs and hummus, yogurt, and the occasional fish as my protein sources, some days I’m afraid to admit that I didn’t get much more than carbs in. And your comment on Poptarts, lets just say that I wake up at 2am needing a plain strawberry poptart more nights than not. I hadn’t bought these since highschool! I am praying my tastes go back to the way I was, and I am “loosing my lunch” less and less these days, so I feel it coming back. Thanks for making me not feel alone, and glad you are back on track, gives me hope!

Heather Eats Almond Butter August 12, 2010 at 7:36 pm

Lindsay, You’re welcome, and trust me, I thought I’d never want to eat another vegetable again, and it did take until about week 20 before I could eat most of my favorites. You’ll get there – just do the best you can for now, and many congrats on your pregnancy! :)

Kate August 13, 2010 at 6:05 am

Definitely fat & protein first when I was pregnant…after the first trimesters where all I could manage was some lemonade & crackers most of the time…I was all about the fat & protein.

Apart from pregnancy though, it’s not that different. I do eat a lot of veggies, fats, protein (not as much meat as when pregnant) and I can tell when I haven’t had enough protein because I start craving SUGAR!

ps – most of the FDA recommendations, food pyramid, etc were paid for by the grain industry way back in the day;)

Heather Eats Almond Butter August 13, 2010 at 7:23 am

Kate, It’s usually always about money, no? So sad, but true. :(

Oh, and I’m totally the same way. If I don’t get a good dose of fat and protein during the day, I want sweets, but then if I eat too many sweets, all I want is meat!

Alisa August 13, 2010 at 8:34 am

Hmm, I must crave fat, because those eats look sooo good! It does help keep me from eating as many sugars.

kady August 15, 2010 at 2:50 am

hey, first time commenter! I also feel great on very high fat, moderate protein, and low carbs..
I first started eating this way as i looked into the science that shows this is a much healthier way to eat than high carb/sugar, and that saturated fat is actually healthy. And i know my body loves it because i have tons of energy, and my eczema and hayfever disappeared! :)

Theres a reason eggs, meat and milk come with fat….eating low fat food is like punching mother nature in the face!

Heather Eats Almond Butter August 15, 2010 at 5:53 pm

Kady, I couldn’t agree more. Our ancestors were not skimming the fat off their milk or trimming it off all their beef!

So happy to hear you’re feeling good, and that’s really cool your eczema cleared up. As soon as I hear someone is suffering from eczema, I tell them to back off the sugar and carbs.

Thanks for reading my blog and for your comment.

{ 4 trackbacks }