A Naturally Nutty Encounter

by HEAB on August 12, 2010

Yesterday, CD and drove to Traverse City to meet up with Katie Kearney, the founder and president of Naturally Nutty Foods Inc. We met at a farmer’s market taking place in downtown, and CD and I asked Katie all kinds of questions about her business.

Katie started making her signature nut butters in her own kitchen and three years later, Naturally Nutty products are now sold in 44 states across the country. Unfortunately, we couldn’t tour the manufacturing facility because her recipe is top secret, but Katie was kind enough to bring us a sample of a new product that she’s working on along with a Naturally Nutty reusable bag tied-died by her kids. :)

Katie, it was so nice to meet you, and your story amazes me! Plus, thanks so much for the almond butter sample – I feel so honored to be a taste-tester. The new flavor is a chia seed almond butter. That’s right, chia seeds + almond butter!!! Two of my favorite things together in one jar, and my particular jar is flavored with cinnamon and vanilla. Honestly, I have no idea how Katie added chia seeds to nut butter without getting a gloppy mess, but she did. She also managed to make it taste amazing!

Per Katie’s recommendation, CD and then I walked to Soul Hole for lunch, a restaurant specializing in eclectic southern cuisine. Southern cuisine in Michigan, huh? This I had to try. I ordered the shrimp and grits with a side of collard greens and CD had the rueben.

OK, I grew up on the South, and honestly, Soul Hole’s grits were some of the best I’ve ever tasted and super filling as well. My bowl didn’t look that big, but that meal kept me satiated for HOURS. However, I think there was probably about half a stick of butter in the grits. Mmmm, butter. :)

Then, thanks to a tip from my favorite Domestic Dharma and directions from Katie, we walked to Oryana, a natural foods coop near downtown. Check out the Naturally Nutty selection…

Oh my goodness, I was in heaven. Usually, I’m a simple nut butter girl, meaning I prefer no salt, no flavors, etc. However, sometimes, I really enjoy a good sweetened nut butter (I blame Justin), and I would love to be able to purchase the Naturally Nutty products in Nashville since I have banned myself from online nut butter orders. In fact, I think it’s been two years since I’ve had any of the company’s products, but I’m going to talk to a few stores when I get home and request (okay, beg) that they carry Katie’s nut butters.

Although I wanted to take home all of them, I only walked away with one jar…it was a difficult decision, but this is what I chose…

After exploring Traverse City a bit more, we drove back to Fife Lake, and I finally started to get hungry about 6 hours after lunch. So, I made myself a turkey & egg scramble and ate it alongside a leftover baked sweet potato topped with the almond cinnamon vanilla chia seed butter.

Really Katie, how do you pack your nut butter with chia seeds, flax seeds, and hemp seeds, and get it to taste like a decadent dessert without a ton of sugar?!? Well, however you do it, all I have to say is thank you!

Can’t wait to bust open my new sunflower seed butter for breakfast this morning, and someday, I WILL try the Pepita Sun Butter…oh, and the Mocha PB as well! May have to lift the online nut butter ban for those two. ;)

Is Naturally Nutty available in your area, and if so, which flavor is your favorite?

Jessica @ How Sweet August 12, 2010 at 5:17 am

It’s not available in mine! And I’ve been dying to try. I think it all sounds so good.

Andi August 12, 2010 at 5:17 am

A lot of Southerners ended up in Michigan for the work in the auto industry, that’s how my family ended up there. I grew up “Southern” in a “Yankee” state thanks to family traditions that didn’t go away. I agree, you don’t think of Michigan and Southern in the same context, but this is one reason why you could’ve found that restaurant there :)

Amelia August 12, 2010 at 5:19 am

I’ve never tried Naturally Nutty. I think there are so many kinds of nut and seed butters on them market right now. It is going to take forever for me to try them all!

Heather Eats Almond Butter August 12, 2010 at 5:21 am

Amelia, I know, these days, it’s like nut butter heaven…enjoy yourself! :)

Katie August 12, 2010 at 5:21 am

Heab! That is so awesome you got to meet katie! I think it’s wonderful how she started naturaly nutty, I read her story on her site a while ago! How nice you met her and she gave you a free sample of her new flavor! Ahhhhhhhhhhhh chia seeds and almond butter sounds so great!

I was lucky to win a giveaway of her nutbutters on averies blog a while back and LOVE them, I got to choose two flavors and one was the cinnamon vanilla, you will LOVE it, its so good!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

What a wonderful nut butter filled day you had! xoxo

Sarena (The Non-Dairy Queen) August 12, 2010 at 5:28 am

What a great adventure yesterday! I love stories like that. I haven’t tried those nut butters, but have seen them around the bolg world and wanted to. I haven’t seen them locally, but I will start looking! Enjoy your breakfast!

Chocolate-Covered Katie August 12, 2010 at 5:29 am

Ah, I never fail to enjoy looking at the wall of nut butters in the hfs. But mine don’t have Naturally Nutty :( . I was lucky enough to get some once, and I flipped for the vanilla almond butter. But because of shipping, I resigned myself to not buying it again.

No worries: at least I still have my chocolate peanut butter… oh, and can’t forget the Artisana coconut butter of course ;) .

Stefanie August 12, 2010 at 5:37 am

I would so love to try the Naturally Nutty butters but they are not available in local stores. One day I will order some. It sounds like you are having a great time in Michigan. Have a great day! :)

Kristin (Cook, Bake and Nibble) August 12, 2010 at 5:38 am

How cool that you got to meet the President of a NUT BUTTER company!! I love nut butters, but I have never seen Naturally Nutty around here… they look SO good! Maybe I’ll have to track ‘em down, or at least grab some in the States when I’m there :D

xo
Kris

Heather August 12, 2010 at 5:41 am

Your dress—incredible!! Is that a maternity dress or just one that adjusts to different sizes? LOVE it!
The nutbutters—holy crapola!look at all of ‘em on those shelves! Looks like a monumental day :)

Heather Eats Almond Butter August 12, 2010 at 8:06 am

Heather, I love that dress! It’s from Athleta and so comfy, and no, it’s not maternity. Plus, it’s on sale right now! Here is the link: http://athleta.gap.com/browse/product.do?cid=46838&vid=1&pid=757713

Tyrah August 12, 2010 at 5:48 am

wow! what a great day! (and thanks for the link ;) )
awesome report on the new flavor, I love chias, that can’t be anything but wonderful.
You picked my favorite flavor of NN…well that I’ve had so far anyway =)
Love your dress girl!

Heather Eats Almond Butter August 12, 2010 at 8:18 am

Thanks for the Oryana tip Tyrah. Loved that place, and I love my dress too. It’s so comfy and on sale right now: http://athleta.gap.com/browse/product.do?cid=46838&vid=1&pid=757713. PS – The Sunflower seed butter was divine! :)

ilovefetacheese August 12, 2010 at 5:51 am

WOW. THAT PLACE IS HEAVEN. I need a place like that in NC!!! P.S. I love your dress…I’ve had my eye on that dress for quite some time (its Athleta right?) Looks so great on you!!

Heather Eats Almond Butter August 12, 2010 at 8:17 am

I Love Feta, You’ve got a good eye – yes, the dress is from Athleta, and I love it. Plus, it’s on sale right now! http://athleta.gap.com/browse/product.do?cid=46838&vid=1&pid=757713

eatmovelove August 12, 2010 at 6:11 am

Oh my. My dream day it seems. I have found Naturally Nutty Cashew Butter – it is divine. It’s a small jar and it lasts a matter of day(s).

But, those other flavors – oh my. I’ve heard so much about chia seeds…I know they add more bulk to foods..?…I’ll have to read up more on their benefits.

Peace :)

Heather Eats Almond Butter August 12, 2010 at 8:15 am
Nicole - yuppieyogini.com August 12, 2010 at 6:18 am

That’s like nutbutter heaven!!

rebecca lustig August 12, 2010 at 6:23 am

nut butters are taking over the world! its fantastic!

hope you have a wonderful day. Keep shining.
love, becca

Tina August 12, 2010 at 6:23 am

What a fun day! How cool to get a special sample of a great new almond butter. That is intriguing that she was able to incorporate Chia seeds without it being gooey.

I’m impressed that the Southern cuisine tasted good. We went to a Southern restaurant while out of town in Philly because it was the only option before the wedding we attended and it was a huge disappointment. They didn’t get that spicy does not mean sweet in the south.

livingfreeforever August 12, 2010 at 6:24 am

I’ve never heard of Naturally Nutty, but that sunflower seed butter sounds SO good! I have NEVER seen a flavored sunbutter anywhere and I would LOVE it if I did! Sounds like a really fun day ;)

Heather Eats Almond Butter August 12, 2010 at 8:14 am

Kimberly, I thought of you when I saw all the variations of sunflower seed butter as I know it’s the only “nut” butter you can eat. Do you have a Great Harvest Bread anywhere near you? Many of the franchises carry the Naturally Nutty products.

Kiersten August 12, 2010 at 6:30 am

Did you just say Mocha Peanut Butter?! I can get my coffee and peanut butter fix all at once? I need that! None of the stores here carry Naturally Nutty :( If they did I would totally splurge and buy a few jars.

Heather Eats Almond Butter August 12, 2010 at 8:13 am

Kiersten, Yes, yes, I did! I know, can you believe it? I can’t wait to get my hands on some!

KL August 12, 2010 at 6:35 am

OOOOOOO I am sooooo jealous! I love Almond Butter PLUS CHia — can’t wait until it is avialable. I dont like flax and dont eat it. Any idea when it will be available?

Heather Eats Almond Butter August 12, 2010 at 8:12 am

KL, Not sure, but I am thinking soon. I know they don’t yet have a label for it yet, but as far as taste goes, I think they’ve perfected it! :)

caronae August 12, 2010 at 6:36 am

I’m so glad you got to go! On my next visit home I will most definitely be making a visit to NN. Their vanilla almond butter is to die for. Literally. I took a spoonful and thought I had gone to heaven.

I also love their cinnamon honey PB and really want to try the sunbutter!

Happy Thursday to the HEAB family. :)

Heather Eats Almond Butter August 12, 2010 at 8:11 am

Happy Thursday to you as well Caronae! :)

Heather August 12, 2010 at 6:39 am

i haven’t seen it in Colorado, but I’m going to start looking hard now! what a great combination!

Evan Thomas August 12, 2010 at 6:44 am

I think I’ve ordered from Naturally Nutty more times than i can count. And I’ll keep doing that until I can find it in my area. It’s so good!

Kim August 12, 2010 at 6:48 am

Heather you look SO beautiful! Please do let us know how the sunflower seed butter is. I have been dying to order for Bella ( she is nut allergic!) for school. No where around here carries the Naturally Nutty brand ;(

I know Bella would love this flavor, and it is jam packed with goodness!

Heather Eats Almond Butter August 12, 2010 at 8:11 am

Kim, I loved it – not too sweet. Order some for Bella! :)

Nicole August 12, 2010 at 7:03 am

I just checked out the Naturally Nutty website. I think I’m in trouble. They have samplers!! lol and you can order a 5lb tub of nut butter!? Oh man!

couchpotatoathlete August 12, 2010 at 7:08 am

I have not seen Naturally Nutty in stores near me — but I wish it was! I love the idea of cinnamon/vanilla. That sounds so delicious.

Erika August 12, 2010 at 7:22 am

AHHHH! I want those nut butters – they don’t carry it where I live either! :-(

Sarah R August 12, 2010 at 7:23 am

I haven’t seen naturally nutty around here, but I did order some of that sunflower seed butter off of the internet and it is amazing! Love it! I can’t wait to try more of their products.

Christina August 12, 2010 at 7:42 am

First off, I love your dress!

I haven’t tried naturally nutty yet. I’ve seen a few flavors in my grocery store, I should give it a try! I’ve read on other blogs that the vanilla cinnamon sunflower butter is delicious, can’t wait to hear what you think :)

Heather Eats Almond Butter August 12, 2010 at 8:10 am

Christina, Here is the link to my dress. I love it, and it’s on sale right now: http://athleta.gap.com/browse/product.do?cid=46838&vid=1&pid=757713.

The vanilla cinnamon sunflower seed butter was delicious. Not too sweet – it was perfect!

Laura Carr August 12, 2010 at 7:47 am

I look up to Katie so much. A few years ago I emailed her asking about her product and she told me her story and it was incredibly inspiring. Her product is the ONLY nut butter I will purchase online for two reasons. 1) She proved herself to be an incredible woman. 2) they are AMAZING!!!

I’m jealous you got to meet her!! =)

Heather Eats Almond Butter August 12, 2010 at 8:09 am

Laura, So cool that you’ve been in contact with Katie in the past – I’ve heard only good things about the company when it comes to their customer service.

mayapamela August 12, 2010 at 7:51 am

I’m jealous that you went to a store with so many NN options! Great Harvest bakeries carry Naturally Nutty products, but only a couple and they raise the prices too much, in my opinion. I feel the same about Justin’s Nut Butter, I can’t find it in any stores near me besides in squeeze pack form.

Sounds like a great day!

Sarah (See Sarah Eat/River City Fitness) August 12, 2010 at 7:53 am

I have no idea if stores in my area carry this, but I am going to start looking for it :)

Freckled Foodie August 12, 2010 at 7:57 am

it’s not available in mine! :( the closest i’ve come to naturally nutty is naturally more. i’d die to try some though!

Heather Eats Almond Butter August 12, 2010 at 8:07 am

Freckled Foodie, Hope you get your hands on some Naturally Nutty soon…I like it much better than Naturally More. Do you have a Great Harvest Bread in your area. Many of the franchises carry Katie’s nut butters, and I’m going to see if I can talk the Nashville one into carrying them as well.

Andrea August 12, 2010 at 8:34 am

OMG…those butters look amazing. I’m already stalking their website. Are you kidding me….I live in Western MD…we don’t even have a Trader Joes near me (i know, the horror) so there is definitely no Naturally Nutty. Boo! I definitely want to try the Pumpkin seed based ones this fall!

Heather Eats Almond Butter August 12, 2010 at 8:51 am

Andrea, Do you live near a Great Harvest Bread Co? Many of the franchises carry the NN line of nut butters.

savoringsarah August 12, 2010 at 8:35 am

Ah! I am a newer reader, and I live in Traverse City!! I was at that farm market before work yesterday! So wild. I wish I had been reading longer/knew you would be here…!!!

Heather Eats Almond Butter August 12, 2010 at 8:49 am

Savoringsarah, Ahh, bummer! I’ll let you know if we drive up there again – I loved Traverse City! :) PS – Thanks for reading! :)

Heather Eats Almond Butter August 14, 2010 at 9:22 am

Hey Sarah, I’m actually headed back up to Traverse City on Thursday. If you’d like to meet up for lunch or something, I’ll be free from about 1 to 2. Just let me know, and I hope you have a wonderful weekend! -Heather

Erica August 12, 2010 at 8:35 am

Oh my goodness, I’m drooling over that wall of nut butters! I’ve never seen naturally nutty in any stores around here.

Erika @ DrTriRunner August 12, 2010 at 8:38 am

For as much as I love shrimp, I can’t believe I haven’t tried shrimp & grits!! Looking up a recipe now… :)

Heather Eats Almond Butter August 12, 2010 at 8:51 am

Erika, Such a great combo – I think you’ll love it! :)

eatmovelove August 12, 2010 at 8:47 am

Thanks HEAB :)

Also – what’s this online ban?! And I recommend the Cashew Butter…it’s so smooth…

Heather Eats Almond Butter August 12, 2010 at 8:50 am

eatmovelove, I was spending way too much money on online nut butter orders. Kind of ridiculous since I can easily make my own, and I only live about 3 miles from both a Whole Foods and Trader Joe’s. So, I cut myself off. :(

Meredith August 12, 2010 at 8:56 am

Hi Heather! Have you tried PB2? It’s a pretty neat product that can satisfy your nut butter cravings with minimal caloric impact. I’ve tried the regular and chocolate flavors, and I think I like chocolate best. While it is not as delicious as regular PB (how could it be, without the same fat content), it still is a yummy, low-cal way to eat your PB. It also amazing as a mix in in banana soft serve!

Heather Eats Almond Butter August 12, 2010 at 9:00 am

Meredith, I have, but I prefer peanut flour. You can read about here: http://pimpmyproteinshake.blogspot.com/2009/10/ingredient-of-week-peanut-flour.html. It lends a much stronger PB taste to smoothies, etc., and it’s not as salty as PB2. My only complaint is the shipping costs…only thing that keeps me from ordering the stuff. :(

Fallon August 12, 2010 at 9:10 am

Loveee the sunflower cinnamon vanilla butter!! I’m still trying to finish up the jar.

I think you need to lift your nut butter online ordering ban BECAUSE you can find some good deals. I’ve order 2 jars of naturally nutty butters for $18, where you are probably paying $12 for just 1 jar.

Heather Eats Almond Butter August 12, 2010 at 9:12 am

Fallon, I paid less than $7…kind of kicking myself for not buying more!

Michelle August 12, 2010 at 9:19 am

I’ve never tried Naturally Nutty! I’m pretty sure we have it at WF, so I’ll have to check it out.

Margarita August 12, 2010 at 9:26 am

These butters looked so good that I just went on line and ordered directly from Naturally Nutty! :D I wish our local Vitamin Cottage carried this brand but I don’t think it is goig to happen. boo!

Thanks Heather for sharing!

Heather Eats Almond Butter August 12, 2010 at 12:26 pm

Margarita, Doesn’t our mutual friend Todd manage Vitamin Cottages? You should talk to him about stocking the NN nut butters!

maggie August 12, 2010 at 9:54 am

Oh I really want to try that butter too!! So glad your back to eating the things you love. And PS the baby bump is just adorable :) Your glowing!

xoxo
Maggie

mybreakfastblog.com

Heather Eats Almond Butter August 12, 2010 at 12:30 pm

Thanks Maggie. :)

Emilia August 12, 2010 at 9:57 am

NO, we DON’T carry Naturally Nutty NB….quite sad indeed. And because of the high shippinh costs online, I have not yet indulged myself with them. I’ve gotten very close, though (as close as typing in your credit card) and not done it. I will try to spread the word to the health food stores around my area because there’s a lot of them!

I, too, like many others, just stick to dark coco. PB, and the normal nut butters– almond, sun, cashew, PB and I have yet to try walnut and macadamia NB :)

Heather Eats Almond Butter August 12, 2010 at 12:30 pm

Emilia, Walnut butter is one of my favorite nut butters out there. I love it, and I can’t tell you how many times I’ve stopped myself from ordering stuff online when it came to entering in my cc#. That part always stops and makes me think!

Justine August 12, 2010 at 9:59 am

I have no problem with it’s availability. My problem is not being able to stop myself when there are sweetened and flavoured nut butters around…..

I’m sure Kathy’s are absolutely fabulous though!

Tay August 12, 2010 at 10:03 am

Ughhh I’ve always wanted to try her products but I can’t find them anywhere! I want to try the butter toffee PB or the mocha PB.

Katirie August 12, 2010 at 10:23 am

Re: peanut flour; Heather, check out your Trader Joe’s when you get back to Nashville. My TJ’s in Atlanta just started carrying peanut flour and it is great and cheap!!!

Heather Eats Almond Butter August 12, 2010 at 12:43 pm

Kaitrie, Oh my gosh – exciting news. Thanks for the tip…I hope the TJ’s in Nashville is carrying it as well. Can’t wait to get home and check. If not, I’m not above begging them to do so. ;)

Courtney August 12, 2010 at 10:47 am

Mmm, you made a wise choice with the cinnamon vanilla sunflower butter!! Naturally Nutty is not available here in CO (that I can find) but I requested a 3-pack from my mom for my birthday, so I am getting to try more flavors! I know you are banned from online purchases, but a once-a-year 3-pack purchase might just change your life, HEAB ;)

Heather Eats Almond Butter August 12, 2010 at 12:29 pm

Courtney, Yeah, I think you’re right…but I would want a 3-pack EVERY month! :)

Averie (LoveVeggiesAndYoga) August 12, 2010 at 11:52 am

Omg I LOVE KATIE!! She is such an awesome woman! I have ran two give aways for Naturally Nutty on my site and they have been some of my biggest give aways ever…surpassing products with a much higher retail value$. People know good nut butter when they see it!

And the fact that Tyrah/Domestic Dharma gave you a recommendation…love that girl too! She actually won my NN give away from Katie and the two of them ended up meeting at a farmer’s market randomly. Quite the serendipity there!

Anyway love the pics of you and CD and that you found some awesome grits…in MI. That’s pretty cool!

Have a great day, Heather. I’ve had some stuff going on. I blogged about it. Remember how big and popular your blog is. Be safe, especially w/ Heablet coming.

xo

Heather Eats Almond Butter August 12, 2010 at 12:27 pm

Averie, I hope everything is okay!

Jenna August 12, 2010 at 11:54 am

I don’t believe I’ve seen Naturally Nutty out on the shelves before, but now I’m going to go looking for it!

Pearl Lee August 12, 2010 at 12:10 pm

all those jars look great! it must’ve been so difficult to choose just one.

Heather Eats Almond Butter August 12, 2010 at 12:27 pm

Pearl, It was. I want more.

Margarita August 12, 2010 at 12:33 pm

Heather,

You have a great memory!!! WOW!

Todd no longer manages our little Vitamin Cottage. :( Otherwise, I probably would be able to talk him into it! He’s off to try other ventures… Maybe I’ll be able to try and talk with someone there any way. I still know some people as I used to work there too. :) I cannot wait to try these butters. I ordered 2 jars of what you bought and 1 jar of White Chocolate PB Coconut… mmmmm….

Heather Eats Almond Butter August 12, 2010 at 12:35 pm

Margarita, Hmm, sounds like Todd. ;)

Can’t wait to hear what you think of the NN nut butters. Oh gosh, I know when I get home, I’ll probably be ordering more. They’re just too good, and there are too many flavors I want to try! Enjoy your shipment!

Mary @ Bites and Bliss August 12, 2010 at 1:15 pm

I would have gone absolutely insane in front of all that nut butter!!! Oh my gosh. I think we have some Naturally Nutty here at our EartFare but they’re just the plain flavors. I havent tried any yet but this post makes me want to make a special trip just for a jar.

PS- I love your dress!

Heather Eats Almond Butter August 12, 2010 at 3:02 pm

Mary, I love that dress too. So comfy and on sale right now: http://athleta.gap.com/browse/product.do?cid=46838&vid=1&pid=757713.

And what are you waiting for – get yourself to EarthFare ASAP!

Katie August 12, 2010 at 1:44 pm

I like NN, but I don’t freak out over it like a lot of people do. I don’t like chunky nut butter though, so maybe it is a texture thing? It tastes more like a sweet dessert to me, which is great, don’t get me wrong, but I just prefer my nut butter plain and smooth.

Laura August 12, 2010 at 2:01 pm

Not available in mine..NOTHING is:( LOVE your pink dress!xx

Heather Eats Almond Butter August 12, 2010 at 3:05 pm

Thanks Laura, Here is the link to the dress…it’s on sale right now, but shipping costs to the UK might be a bit high. :( http://athleta.gap.com/browse/product.do?cid=46838&vid=1&pid=757713

40apples August 12, 2010 at 2:15 pm

I cannot even believe how many kinds of Naturally Nutty there are on that shelf! I could really go crazy with all those options….. Your choice sounded really good, though. Especially on a baked sweet potato. Yum!

plamarie August 12, 2010 at 2:26 pm

Oh My Goodness!! My most favorite nut butter is Sunbutter. I would love to try Naturally Nutty Cinn/Vanilla sunflower seed. I am actually temted to find and it and pay. I have not tried any yet because of the cost.

Heather Eats Almond Butter August 12, 2010 at 3:06 pm

Plamarie, Do it – it’s so good! Plus, out of all the NN nut butters, the sunflower is one of the cheapest!

A Teenage Gourmet August 12, 2010 at 3:22 pm

I ordered Naturally Nutty online *blush.

I’ve tried Toffee PB <— A bit too sweet tasting for me
Cinnamon Sunflower Butter <— good cinnamon taste, but grey color
and Vanilla Almond Butter <— Very vanilla, just right.

Heather Eats Almond Butter August 12, 2010 at 5:00 pm

Teenage Gourmet…no shame. I’ve ordered my fair share of nut butters online as well…and I’m sure I’ll give in and order more someday. :)

Megan August 12, 2010 at 3:38 pm

To be honest, I haven’t really looked but I bet it is! (Chicago’s not that far from Michigan, after all)

Pure2raw twins August 12, 2010 at 3:48 pm

The nut butters look great! And the company sounds great too! Glad you are having a great time.

kelli August 12, 2010 at 4:14 pm

Love naturally nutter!!! The cinnamon-vanilla sunflower seed butter is good once in a while for me because it is VERY sweet ! Also have you ever tried NUTZO peanut-free, it is made with chia seeds as well, it is soso good!

Heather Eats Almond Butter August 12, 2010 at 5:01 pm

Kelli, I have tried Nuttzo, but I think it’s made with flax seed, not chia. Loved the hazelnut chunks! :)

Erica @ ericaunmasked.blogspot.com August 12, 2010 at 4:57 pm

Hi there – I don’t think we have one of those in our area – but I would LOVE to try them. I think I would die and come back as a nut if I could. Really. I love nuts like that much:)

Heather Eats Almond Butter August 12, 2010 at 5:00 pm

Erica, But then I might eat you! ;)

kelli August 12, 2010 at 5:57 pm

no they have a new one that is peanut free! they have two kinds now :)

Heather Eats Almond Butter August 12, 2010 at 7:33 pm

Kelli, Oh wow, I had no idea. Will have to look into that. Thanks for the info!

Alisa August 12, 2010 at 6:43 pm

I haven’t seen Naturally Nutty here in our area, but I would so grab the same flavor as you if I saw it. Very cool success story!

Is it just me, or is CD looking even more eager to get in pics and over the top cheerful the more pregnant you become? I think someone is excited.

Heather Eats Almond Butter August 12, 2010 at 7:34 pm

Alisa, Hehe – I think you’re right. :)

tanyasdaily August 12, 2010 at 7:03 pm

only tried almond and cashew…but those others look great..like desert!

alli August 12, 2010 at 8:09 pm

oh yum! i’m loving almond butter paired with the chocolate butter on toast (or waffles…or anything;) ) right now. i’ll have to try naturally nutty though! the only almond butter i’ve had is either the kind i’ve made from raw almonds or roasted almond butter from a self serve machine at a local grocery store. naturally nutty, here i come :)
and by the way, that dress is fabulous! you look fantastic!

Heather Eats Almond Butter August 13, 2010 at 7:04 am

Thanks Alli, and I hope you find some Naturally Nutty soon. It’s good stuff. P.S. I love that dress. It’s not a maternity dress and so comfy. Plus, it’s on sale right now: http://athleta.gap.com/browse/product.do?cid=46838&vid=1&pid=757713. :)

Sarah August 12, 2010 at 8:14 pm

Not sure if it available in my area, but I must find it because it looks divine! That is so awesome that you got to meet the founder. What an awesome bloggie meetup!

Kendall August 12, 2010 at 9:20 pm

I learned about Naturally Nutty awhile ago but haven’t found it in my area at all. Sad becuase there are so many natural food outlets around here so I usually expect to find most anything that is widely distributed. Vanilla and cinnamon nut butter just sounds so good! And with hemp and flax to boot! p.s. I’ve seen pepita seed butter but I’ve been leery to try it. Perhaps if I could get a free sample or something. The stuff ain’t cheap :)

Heather Eats Almond Butter August 13, 2010 at 7:07 am

Kendall, I’ve made my own pumpkin seed butter. So easy and really good – you should try it. :)

BroccoliHut August 12, 2010 at 9:28 pm

Naturally Nutty exists in stores?? Glorious! So cool that you got to meet Katie.

Heather Eats Almond Butter August 13, 2010 at 7:08 am

BroccoliHut, Not in Nashville, but you might be able to find some in Birmingham. Do you have a Great Harvest Bread Co? A lot of the franchises sell Katie’s nut butters.

kelsey@snackingsquirrel.com August 12, 2010 at 10:28 pm

thats really amazing how theres a plethora of seeds mixed in the nut butter! i always wondered if there would be a product that would combine a lot of seeds and nuts together so i didnt have to. hemp and flax with chia sounds so good!
btw i must say what a GORGEOUS dress you have on! absolutely a stunner <3

Heather Eats Almond Butter August 13, 2010 at 7:07 am

Thanks Kelsey. I love that dress, and it’s currently on sale right now: http://athleta.gap.com/browse/product.do?cid=46838&vid=1&pid=757713.

Hope you find some Naturally Nutty soon! :)

Stephanie@ avocado nation August 12, 2010 at 10:43 pm

I have got to try that nut butter! Looks amazing!

MizFit August 13, 2010 at 4:34 am

why am I GIGGLING that I own that dress.
wear it all the time…and I am NOT knocked up!

Heather Eats Almond Butter August 13, 2010 at 7:06 am

Mizfit, Ha, I love it! That is the most comfy dress – literally, I could sleep in it.

Luna August 13, 2010 at 5:04 am

I love the dress too, it is so good on you!!Well, I love your style in general :) Obviously there is no naturally nutty here – I am lucky if I can find some different brand than “skippy” peanut butter !!! I’m making a list of all the things I need/want from the US from when I’ll be there… maybe I’ll be adding some nut butters too if I find a way to prevent the jar from expolding during the flight !! :D

Heather Eats Almond Butter August 13, 2010 at 7:05 am

Luna, I’ve checked jars of nut butters in my luggage many a time without any problems. Just wrapped them up really well. :)

Lucinda August 13, 2010 at 5:14 am

I live in New Zealand, and I think there may be one or two companies that make nut butters here, but that’s it. And then, its just almond and a couple of others. It would be awesome if there was more to choose from! It would hopefully make it much more affordable to buy nut butters, and for there to be more varieties to choose from :-)

Tracy Gardner August 13, 2010 at 3:09 pm

Thanks for posting Heather! I am ordering online – I am in central Nebraska and the closest Whole Foods is 2.5 hours away but next trip I will check for these brands. So I will pay shipping to try. In fact after reading this post had to go grab a frozen protein freeze chocolate rocky road protein ice cream and add some Justin’s Maple Almond Butter – mmmm mmmm good! Love your blog! Thinking I want to try Maple Almond Butter Pancakes this weekend.

Heather Eats Almond Butter August 13, 2010 at 3:14 pm

Tracy, I think you will love the Naturally Nutty – so excited you ordered some. Now about those pancakes…yum! Please enjoy some for me. :)

Amber at Berlin's Whimsy August 16, 2010 at 9:26 am

These nut butters sound fabulous! I wonder if I can find them locally? I didn’t notice anything about Whole Foods in the comments—do they not carry these butters?

Also, what a great idea for a company! I love hearing stories like that.

Heather Eats Almond Butter August 16, 2010 at 10:31 am

Amber, As far as I know, the Naturally Nutty Nut Butters are not available at Whole Foods, as least I’ve never heard that they are. Do you live near a Great Harvest Bread Co. as many of the franchises them.

Tanya August 16, 2010 at 10:05 pm

I have seen way too many mentions of the Naturally Nutty Cinnamon Vanilla Sunflower Butter and I SO want some!!!

Heather Eats Almond Butter August 17, 2010 at 8:38 am

Tanya, Get it! So good, although I think I like the Pepita Sun Butter even more. I swear it’s like pumpkin pie in a jar!