How Much Nut Butter Is Too Much?

by HEAB on August 14, 2010

Thanks for all the positive input on yesterday’s post: Why I Eat The Way I Do. I don’t know why it took me so long to write that post as I always get asked about my diet. Another question I often get is, How much nut butter do you eat, and how much should I eat? So, let’s talk nut butter, shall we?

Some days, I don’t even open the nut butter jar, but most days I eat at least one or two servings if not more, yesterday being a prime example. There was much nut butter consumed by yours truly, and I blame Naturally Nutty. :)

There was breakfast:

2 eggs with a toasted cinnamon raisin English muffin, 1/2 topped with Naturally Nutty Cinnamon Vanilla Sunflower Butter and the other 1/2 topped with Naturally Nutty Cinnamon Vanilla Almond Chia Seed Butter (a soon to be released flavor).

I think the almond butter is my favorite out of the two. It spreads so easily, and I’m guessing that’s due to the addition of palm fruit oil. Plus, it has a stronger cinnamon/vanilla flavor. That being said, the sunflower butter is still really yummy. In fact, I can’t seem to get enough of either…which brings us to lunch.

Cooked spinach with crumbled goat cheese and an oven baked sweet potato the size of my head topped with both Naturally Nutty nut butters. A delicious and filling meal!

Dinner was uneventful – probably involved some veggies or something. So, let’s move onto dessert, shall we? I’ve been skipping out on the Dairy Bar because too much dairy does not sit well with me, but last night, I decided to join CD in a little ice-cream lovin. Before walking out the door, I grabbed what was left of our almond chia seed butter sample jar…

ICIAJ (Ice-Cream In A Jar)

I ordered a small butter pecan ice-cream and immediately loaded it into the almond butter jar. Yes, I got a few weird stares, especially when I started taking photos of my masterpiece, but I didn’t care. Totally worth it!

So, let’s see, that was about 6 servings of almond butter yesterday. Again, that’s not something I do all the time, but I just happen to incorporate it into every meal. Quite proud of myself actually. ;)

Did it again for breakfast this morning…

Toasted whole grain wrap with mashed avocado, sliced banana, and Trader Joe’s unsalted crunchy peanut butter.

So, how much nut butter is the right amount? Again, that’s another question I can’t answer for you. Some people can handle more than others. I know I’m always saying don’t fear fat, but you should keep in mind that foods high in fat are normally pretty calorically dense as well. In other words, enjoy your nut butter…just eat responsibly, and if nut butter is a trigger food for you, then don’t buy it.

Have you tried the avocado + banana + nut butter combo yet? If not, do it…today…I dare ya! :)

tanyasdaily August 14, 2010 at 8:06 am

I can take it or leave it….but you did some tasty ways with it…I like the ice cream one the best!

Kiersten August 14, 2010 at 8:09 am

There is no such thing as too much nut butter! I eat a lot of nut butter too, at least 2-3 servings a day. I do not worry about it being “too much though.” It’s one of my favorite foods and enjoy it, plus if I didn’t consume so much nut butter my diet probably wouldn’t have enough fats in it.

Kristy@ KristyRuns.com August 14, 2010 at 8:14 am

I totally agree with Kiersten! I eat copious amounts of nut butters, and I don’t discriminate. ;) Peanut butter, almond butter, etc. My new obsession in Justin’s Chocolate Hazelnut butter…delish! I feel like my body definitely needs the extra fat to fuel my marathon training, too.

Heather August 14, 2010 at 8:14 am

I am SO up for that dare! I’ve got a perfectly ripe avocado calling my name and not a day goes by that pb doesn’t pass my lips! :)

Sarena (The Non-Dairy Queen) August 14, 2010 at 8:14 am

I love it…eat responsibly! That is perfect. I LOVE almond butter on sweet potatoes. I have been craving it lately. It is definitely a balance! YUM ice cream in a jar! You are a genius! Have a great weekend Heather!

homecookedem August 14, 2010 at 8:14 am

Isn’t it so funny how we both hated nut butters our first trimester and now we can eat it again?! I HATED PB for about 3 months and all of a sudden I’m eating it twice a day again. I never worry about eating too much nut butter as far as calories/fat is concerned b/c I fit it into my day… so basically any nut butter I eat replaces carbs or something else I would’ve eaten instead. The only thing that I wonder about now is how much is too much being pregnant… like if I eat too much, what if my son has a nut allergy?? Is that being too paranoid?? I guess we could say the same thing about wheat, dairy, etc. I don’t know why I’m so worried about the nut thing more than anything else…

Heather Eats Almond Butter August 14, 2010 at 8:23 am

Em, I have those same fears! I’ve read that you should cut back during the 3rd trimester and no wheat, peanuts, etc. until the child is at least 2 years old I think. So, I’m thinking of cutting out wheat starting next month…peanut butter too, and maybe just cut back on the nut butter. I would freak out if the HEABlet had a nut allergy or if we couldn’t even have peanuts in the house!

Erika August 14, 2010 at 8:16 am

I would have never thought of combining nut butter, avocado, and banana, but it seems like it would work…
I have to try it! :-)

Carbzilla August 14, 2010 at 8:18 am

I had a cheese day yesterday – some days just get like that! I did have AB on my protein pancake at breakfast and came *thisclose* to making an avocado maple syrup to use up an avocado. Maybe next time.

Your day seems like the Goldilocks version of jussssst right. :)

40apples August 14, 2010 at 8:19 am

YES you took your almond butter jar to the ice cream place! Tremendous idea. :)

ICIAJ sounds even more fabulous than OIAJ… Actually, we have a fro-yo chain in NY that also sells freshly ground almond and peanut butter – I’m not sure if other people mostly just buy the nut butter by itself, but I always order it as a topping on the fro-yo! I mean, really, how could you not.

Personally, I abide by the “more the merrier” rule when it comes to nut butter. It’s my primary source for protein and healthy fat – plus it’s pretty much the love of my life :)

Heather Eats Almond Butter August 14, 2010 at 8:20 am

40Apples, I would love to visit that fro-yo chain someday. Sounds heavenly!

Sarah August 14, 2010 at 8:19 am

Banana, avocado, and nut butter? That combo sounds right up my alley:-).

Tyrah August 14, 2010 at 8:22 am

totally going to try the nut butter, avo, banana combo. I love avocado on toast, yum!
I’m glad that you’re not too shy to photograph your cute icecream.
There are days that go by that I don’t have any nut butters, but most often I have a few servings a day and then some days it seems to be all that I want. I don’t worry about it being too much, my only sources of fat are vegan ones, so I think it’s kinda necessary, and delicious =)

Andrea@WellnessNotes August 14, 2010 at 8:32 am

Okay, I’m really intrigued by your avocado + banana + nut butter combo and will have to give it a try! I’ll let you know how I like it! :)

My body can’t handle peanut butter, but I do enjoy almond butter in moderation. I got a bit too carried away last year and ended up eating too much nut butter (in addition to plenty of other fats which just ended up too many calories for me).

Nicole August 14, 2010 at 8:35 am

I love this post! I just had this conversation a couple of days ago with a co-worker when he noticed me dumping a tbsp. of PB in my oatmeal. He asked me how much I eat in a day and I said probably 2-3 servings, depending on the day. Just like you, I add it to my sweet potatoes and sometimes I just want to use it as a topping for something else (like ice cream!) I don’t usually feel bad about it because it doesn’t upset my stomach or make me feel bloated (like everything else does!)
And I just about died when I saw your avocado/banana/nut butter wrap. I will be trying that ASAP.

Liz @ Tip Top Shape August 14, 2010 at 8:37 am

That last breakfast of yours sound like such an odd combination. And then I thought about it more and went-I need to make this!! haha

I usually try to only have nut butter with my breakfast. That and coffee. I have all the fun stuff in the morning. lol

Jenn (Jenn's Menu and Lifestyle Blog) August 14, 2010 at 8:38 am

I haven’t met a nut or seed butter that I don’t like. I love sunflower seed butter, but haven’t had it in ages. I need to get some more! Another thing to regard is that nuts are very high in omega-6 fatty acids, so: it’s important to get ample amounts of omega-3′s to offset the imbalance that may occur. I just recently learned about this and thought I would pass it on. :)

Jenn

Heather Eats Almond Butter August 14, 2010 at 8:49 am

Jenn, Yes, very true. I try to balance it out with plenty of salmon and grass fed beef. Also, I don’t really use any vegetable oils but use butter/ghee or coconut oil instead for all my cooking/baking.

Whitney August 14, 2010 at 8:38 am

Hey Heather-
Glad yall are having a great trip! That wrap looks delicious- I know I would love it! And speaking of nut butters… do you like Nutzo?? If so, I have a jar to give you when you get home! It’s just not my favorite :)

Heather Eats Almond Butter August 14, 2010 at 8:51 am

Whitney, I do like Nuttzo – I’ll take it and trade ya some gums. Hope you and Nick are doing well, and we’ll have to get together for another dinner when we get back in town. :)

Michelle August 14, 2010 at 8:39 am

Whew! That is a lot of almond butter! I try to limit myself to 2T a day just because I know I can go so overboard.

Whitney August 14, 2010 at 8:59 am

Sounds like a good trade :) We may have to go to Sweet Cece’s on that dinner date too!

mayapamela August 14, 2010 at 9:04 am

Nut butter used to be a major fear food for me, so I would eat is surreptitiously, spoon to jar. Somehow serving myself some wasn’t proper, but if it was done in secret that was fine. How silly. I was missing out on some great nut butter loving! It’s good to have a healthy fat at most meals, so might as well make it nut butter, right? Love your ice cream in a jar, it’s like almond swirl ice cream!

Carolyn August 14, 2010 at 9:05 am

“just eat responsibly” hahahaha

Don’t even get me started on “How many Emerald dark chocolate cocoa covered almonds is too many?”… Thanks Sam’s Club… for selling them in the 50 gallon drum size.. :-\

elaine @ Om Sweet Om August 14, 2010 at 9:06 am

avocado + bananas + nut butter? WHOA.

Marina August 14, 2010 at 9:54 am

I adore nut butters, but I always limit myself to small portions, like a tsp of it, maybe two a day :/ I need to work on that fear, conquer it finally :)

I tried bananas and avocado combo, and I love it, now I really have to try adding some pb!
Now I have a reason to buy avocado, finally :D

Tina August 14, 2010 at 10:01 am

I think its possible to have too much of anything but if you are able to be in tune with your body things will be fine. I know I have nutbutter at least once a day. It’s my love.

fartygirl August 14, 2010 at 10:10 am

I discovered several months ago that too much nut butter makes me sick. It makes me sick for the same reason that cheese does. My body doesn’t digest fat well at all. Blame the pill. Blame my bod. Who knows? Maybe it’s good for you, but my body does not like it.

The only time I can digest it is late at night. I’ve been eating it post dinner, if I get hungry before bed time. Then, it’s PERFECT. Probably because I sleep through the discomfort! Ha!

It does help to soak nuts and make nut butter on my own. It also helps to make seed butter, and to rotate nut butters in the diet. :)

Christ – I need to write a post… sorry HEABS… all goin off on your page!!! :)

Heather Eats Almond Butter August 14, 2010 at 10:25 am

Fartygirl, Never apologize – that’s what the comment section is for. :)

annecalista August 14, 2010 at 10:27 am

I used to eat nearly a whole jar of PB in a week by myself, but now I measure it out with tsp. or Tbsp.’s so I know how much I’m eating, and I usually stick to one serving a day. I’m kind of scared of that sandwich combo, but I would dare to try it ;-)

kristensweetly August 14, 2010 at 10:27 am

I was so worried about this avo / pb / banana combo when I read it, but like everybody else, I ended up thinking, “Well, clearly I have to try this!” I can’t imagine avocado with anything sweet, but that’s just because I haven’t tried it yet.

Mayapamela, you’re speaking my language, lady! Anything that seemed like a splurge in my head, I would never figure it into my day. And after lunch, I would end up sneaking as much as I could in the 5 minutes before heading back to work. Typically, it would be spoonfuls of peanut butter dipped in chocolate chips. Every time, I would get back to work and think, darn, now I won’t have my afternoon snack! It’s so much better feasting on something I’m ready for, instead of standing next to the sink, holding the jar. Haha… I can never imagine how I come up with things like that.

Heather Eats Almond Butter August 14, 2010 at 7:14 pm

Kristen, Try the sweet avocado combo…I think you might love it. :)

Viviane August 14, 2010 at 10:32 am

ooooohhhh….. the avocado, banana and pb combo looks really really good… I have a few avocados ripening on the counter right now. I see this recipe coming up in my future very soon :)

Erica August 14, 2010 at 10:32 am

YUMmmmmmmmm. I just tried sweet potato with nut butter the other night for the first time and I am in love. Naturally nutty is fabulous. I am excited to try the chia. I have so many favorite nut butters- its hard to keep track. Justins, TJs unsalted AB, naturally more….gosh. Hope you guys have a good weekend

Run Sarah August 14, 2010 at 10:40 am

I have to try the avocado, banana and nut butter combo – it sounds heavenly!

Megan @ Healthy Hoggin' August 14, 2010 at 10:49 am

I eat plenty of nut butter, too! I don’t eat it EVERY day, but when I do it’s usually 2-4 servings a day. I’ve found that my body does well with that amount, as long as I’m eating it with plenty of raw fruits and veggies throughout the day as well!

Since I’m an avocado-wimp, and pretty much have to hide them in my raw chocolate puddings to tolerate them (actually, they are quite deeee-lish in puddings!), I think I’ll stick to nut butter + banana combos for now! ;)

brianne August 14, 2010 at 11:10 am

speaking of nut butter – i saw at my WF (i’m in franklin) they have justin’s almond butter! i think it’s the chocolate kind – could be hazelnut? – i can’t remember – i bought the small packet to try it because i’d seen it on here : )

Heather Eats Almond Butter August 14, 2010 at 7:25 pm

Brianne, Oooh, good to know. I’ll look for it at the Green Hills location when I get back home. Thanks! :)

Megan August 14, 2010 at 11:28 am

This morning when I looked at your post I laughed a bit. I just did a post about how much nut butter I have consumed in the last year. It’s ridiculous but a total necessary part of life.

The Healthy Hostess August 14, 2010 at 11:32 am

Wait until you start nursing (ifyou are) the nut butter addiction triples!! It is unbelievable! :) I go through jars and jars each week

Ana August 14, 2010 at 12:06 pm

Since I first tasted it I eat almond butter every single day! Sometimes I think I might have a problem but then I read your comment section and feel totally normal!! It seems like a day can’t go by without some nut butter, and for me it is almond butter all the way!
This past few days I am loving Justin’s chocolate almond butter, omg, that stuff is like crack! I eat a bit of it and then I just “have” to go back for a bit more… really delicious stuff!
I never had naturally nutty, will check out the local WF to see if they sell it, but I never seen it there.
Oh, and I never had nut butter on sweet potatoes even though I have seen many people sayig how much they love the combo. I must try that!!

Mama Pea August 14, 2010 at 12:06 pm

All is right with the world. You truly are “Heather (who) Eats Almond Butter” once again. I shall rest easier tonight. Thank you.

Gree August 14, 2010 at 12:09 pm

I too am a nut butter addict, it’s so delicious. I have talked to allergists and mostly the problem is peanuts and peanut butter, more so when you are breastfeeding. I have to say all that butter looks amazing! I need to get some of the Naturally Nutty stuff!

Heather Eats Almond Butter August 14, 2010 at 7:24 pm

Thanks for the info re. allergies Gree.

eatmovelove August 14, 2010 at 12:47 pm

“Just Eat Responsibly”

Hah!! Priceless! That should be a slogan said around the world no?

With that said, I have driven and eaten Nut Butters…so nothing will keep us apart ;)

Stella August 14, 2010 at 1:05 pm

Have to try this avocado, banana and peanut butter combo, I’ve been looking out for different things to try with avocado.

But more importantly, I think there is no such thing as too much nut butter :D

Kayla August 14, 2010 at 1:18 pm

I eat a lot of nut butters everyday (2-5 servings?) . Honestly, I don’t know because you have definitely helped me not be concerned about it! So thank you for that! :D I think my body prefers more fat because otherwise my hands get really cold, no bueno. :) I am SO try that avocado, banana, nut butter creation btw..

Heather Eats Almond Butter August 14, 2010 at 7:23 pm

Kayla, You’re welcome. Happy to help. :)

kaztronomic August 14, 2010 at 1:20 pm

I eat a *minimum* of 2-3 servings of nut butter a day. LOVE it.

I don’t think I’ve tried avo-banana-nut butter yet. I must give it a go — sounds so delicious!

actorsdiet August 14, 2010 at 1:21 pm

hey heather! i loved your last post – i agree – there is no one “right” way to eat and what works for some people may not work for others…also, what works for us at one point in our lives definitely doesn’t later on. things are always evolving! just heard your interview on “two fit chicks and microphone” – wonderful stuff!!!

Heather Eats Almond Butter August 14, 2010 at 7:22 pm

Thanks actorsdiet. :)

A Teenage Gourmet August 14, 2010 at 1:21 pm

This is such a relevant post to me as well! This is embarrassing, but I totally fear eating a whole serving of nut butter at once. Although I do need the calories, the numbers scare me. I’ve made Chocolate-Covered Katie’s banana butter so that I can feel a little bit better about my nut butter consumption . . . my next challenge is going to be a full serving of peanut butter. :D

Thanks Heather!

Heather Eats Almond Butter August 14, 2010 at 7:22 pm

Teenage Gourmet, You can do it. :)

Katie August 14, 2010 at 1:47 pm

I’m all for peanut butter and banana, but avocado? I’m not sure about that one…

Pearl Lee August 14, 2010 at 2:12 pm

nothing wrong with a little (more) nut butter! ;)

Meghan August 14, 2010 at 2:16 pm

I actually took a hiatus from peanut butter for about a year (sometimes my body just decides it randomly doesn’t want something for awhile), but thankfully earlier this year I started craving it again. I love it for the exact reason everyone fears it. Because I have a small appetite, its a great way for me to get a good amount of calories and fat without having to eat a huge amount. Plus I feel like it fills me up for so much longer than other things do. I am excited to try all the other types of nut butters that people are mentioning.

Mindfully Emily August 14, 2010 at 2:43 pm

Thanks so much for the last two posts, they’ve been amazing!! Such great information and so interesting to hear how you’ve journeyed to finding the best “diet” for you! I thought of you today when I was at Wholefoods and stumbled about Justin’s Almond Butter packets…they’ve totally changed my life :)

Heather Eats Almond Butter August 14, 2010 at 7:21 pm

Emily, You’re welcome. Yeah, Justin is pretty life altering, no? ;)

Averie (LoveVeggiesAndYoga) August 14, 2010 at 3:34 pm

I know this is crazy but when I eat too much nut butter it doesnt digest well for me. I dunno, some is good but when I hear of girls eating like a half a jar at a sitting or something, I cringe b/c my tummy would be crying! ha!

I love that you just took pics of your masterpiece, and didnt care! I cannot tell you for the sake of the blog, how many goofy pics I take out in public and ppl look at me like Im weird and I want to scream, oh but my readers will love this. Or this will make for great blog content. Sad but true that I am writing blog posts in my head during my daily life and scouring the world as a whole for blog content. Wacky? Yes, at least I admit it :)

LOL

Have a great weekend Heather!

Heather Eats Almond Butter August 14, 2010 at 7:20 pm

Averie, I do the exact same thing – always blogging in my mind. :)

kelsey@snackingsquirrel.com August 14, 2010 at 4:05 pm

theres something so addictive about almond butter! i used to try to keep it out of the house since it was gone in 2 days or less! u can spread it on anything, and clearly u show that by example.. savory or sweet- its great! its no wonder every company or peanut butter company i should say, has hopped on board and made an almond butter variety under their name!

xoxo

alli August 14, 2010 at 4:48 pm

i love me some slmond butter!
im sure one of these days i will try your last combo; but i dont think today is that day…..i have no idea how the ingredients will work! you might have to double-dog-dare me ;)

Heather Eats Almond Butter August 14, 2010 at 7:19 pm

Alli, OK, I double dog dare ya! ;)

Emilia August 14, 2010 at 5:39 pm

Mmmm, I LOVE nut butters, too. Could it all day, every meal. It does make me VERY full though, so I’ve been trying to cut it out a bit.

Is avocado, banana and PB a good combo? I do love all three oh- so- much but didn’t know avocado was a good throw in… huh.

Heather Eats Almond Butter August 14, 2010 at 7:16 pm

Emilia, Yes, the pb/avocado/naner combo is so good. You should definitely try it!

Rachael August 14, 2010 at 5:44 pm

It’s interesting that nut butter is such a beloved, tasty food and also a major trigger for some people. The latter probably has something to do with the former, methinks. I don’t think too much these days about serving sizes, but I remember when a jar of open almond butter presented quite the moral quandary.
I’m intrigued by the avocado concoction.

Dana Marie August 14, 2010 at 6:02 pm

Nut butters are TOTALLY a trigger food for me…..:( so instead of buying it I just spend inordinate amounts of time scanning through blogs such us this one….. tear
I ‘ve yet to develop control for yogurt or nut butters —–I think it is the eating with a spoon action

dcwright02 August 14, 2010 at 7:29 pm

thats a lot of nut butter consumage! WOW! and ICIAJ?!? is that even LEGAL? :)
thanks for sharing!

Mimi August 14, 2010 at 7:41 pm

Too much nut butter? Pah! The only time I say there’s too much nut butter is when I’m missing some nutty crunch!

I really love Naturally Nutty’s stuff…the pepita one I tried was amazing. My only quibble is that they can get a little dry.

marla {family fresh cooking} August 14, 2010 at 9:08 pm

I found you originally with a search for nut butter, so I am glad to read that it still rocks your world. My favorites these days are Barney Butter & TJ’s Roasted Almond Butter with flaxseed—-multiple times per day :) Your ice cream looks grand. xo

Heather Eats Almond Butter August 15, 2010 at 5:59 pm

Marla, I love that TJ’s almond flax butter. It’s perfect, and I didn’t know you found me when searching for “nut butter”. Ha, that makes me happy. :)

shannon(shannonswhiteout.blogspot.com) August 15, 2010 at 3:51 am

Michigan- I have been catching up on your posts and see you have been to michigan. My family and I just got back from michigan- it is so nice there. We go up to the up my inlaws have a house on the lake on drummond island- so nice there.

Heather Eats Almond Butter August 15, 2010 at 6:05 pm

Shannon, Yes, it is so nice here. We are loving Michigan as well. Glad you enjoyed your vacation.

Eleanor August 15, 2010 at 4:07 am

I’m with Kiersten; it would be difficult to eat too much nut butter, especially almond :) I have almond-butter-banana sandwiches just about every day (with a cheeky bit of maple syrup, mmmm)
I ordered some brazil nut butter this week which I’m looking forward to and when my Artisana runs out I’m going to try your recipe for it – happy days!

Eleanor

Heather Eats Almond Butter August 15, 2010 at 6:06 pm

Eleanor, I love Brazil nut butter and have not made any in soooo long. Thanks for the reminder! :)

Hayley August 15, 2010 at 5:48 am

I’d say maybe a jar a day is too much, but hey- I wouldn’t judge! ;)

flowyogilates August 15, 2010 at 10:13 am

I´m eating raw nuts daily (peanuts, soynuts, brazilan and macadamia are my favorites) and so I´m a little concerned about eating nut butters because I fear eating to much fat (I know thats stupid…..)…. but there´s a jar of peanut butter standing in my kitchen and I often think abou opening it but haven´t yet…

Heather Eats Almond Butter August 15, 2010 at 6:08 pm

Flowyogilates, Open it and then spread it on a wrap with banana and avocado. You can thank me later. ;)

malpaz August 15, 2010 at 11:07 am

hahah well i do nuts not nut butter… but i have had 12 servings of macadamia nuts in one day….and half a jar of coconut butter …haha shyiing away in shame now lol

Heather Eats Almond Butter August 15, 2010 at 6:03 pm

Malpaz, No shame! It’s really hard to stop at more than one serving of mac nuts. Gosh, I love those things!

couchpotatoathlete August 15, 2010 at 11:18 am

I love nut butter, avocado and bananas. But I don’t know if I could eat them all together! What a strange combination — but the more I think about it, it is probably really good!

I want some ICIAJ. Now. :)

Kristin (Cook, Bake and Nibble) August 15, 2010 at 2:31 pm

NO. But I think I should. Dare taken.

It has taken me a long, long time to stop fearing fats. I am realizing more and more that my body responds well to more fats because they keep me full and satisfied, and my blood sugar steady. But eating more than 1/4 of an avocado still makes me a little nervous, even though I know it’s healthy fats. And I never eat more than 1 serving of nut butters in a day. Did you ever feel this way, or was it an easy fear to overcome? I’m curious.

Thanks for all your insight, as I said the other day- I LOVE that you accept that the standards aren’t right for you, or many people at that. :)

xo
Kris

Heather Eats Almond Butter August 15, 2010 at 6:02 pm

Kris, Honestly, no, I never felt that way, but only because I ate fats the whole time I was losing weight. I figured if I could lose 100+ pounds while still loving on my fats, then there was nothing to fear. Now sugar, that’s a whole other story…stuff still scares me, but I know my body doesn’t *need* sugar like it needs fat.

Brooke [onehealthycookie] August 15, 2010 at 3:34 pm

Avocado and nut butter?! Oh yes. I need to try this ASAP!

Desi Domo August 15, 2010 at 7:18 pm

Hi Heather! I LOVE your blog and I LOVE this post. Particularly because I eat copious amounts of nuts and nut butter and often worry that I shouldn’t be… It’s nice to know I am in good company! I just had a question: what is a “trigger food?” You mention this and I was just curious what that term meant! Thanks! :)
Desi

Heather Eats Almond Butter August 16, 2010 at 7:38 am

Hey Desi, Thanks so much for loving HEAB. :)

Many people have certain foods that “trigger” overeating. I have readers tell me they can’t keep nut butter around because one bite leads to another and another, and they can’t stop eating it. Does that make sense?

Again, thanks for reading!

Kristin (Cook, Bake and Nibble) August 15, 2010 at 7:53 pm

Guess that just goes to show how different we all are! I think it’s definitely a matter of figuring out what the body needs, and what it’s ok to be a little “afraid” of, and what doesn’t need to be feared! Thanks for the honest response :)

heahert August 15, 2010 at 8:49 pm

When you say you eat 6 servings a day, does that mean 2 tbsps at once? Unless the serving size is different for the brands you eat, isn’t 2 tbsps a serving? I really fear fat. I’ve lost 275 pounds, and I am terrified of eating fats and ending up big again. Sad, but true.

Heather Eats Almond Butter August 16, 2010 at 7:40 am

Hey Heahert, ;)

No, I should have been more clear on that one. I probably ate about 6 TBSP of nut butter total that day…not 12. Congrats on your weight loss, and I totally understand your fears, but keep in mind that our bodies require fat to function. They don’t need sugar, but they *need* fat.

heather August 15, 2010 at 8:52 pm

And its heather, not heahert. Oops

Christina August 16, 2010 at 9:18 am

I am loving that you took the nut butter jar to the ice cream shop – pure genious (and deliciousness, too!)

I love my nut butters. I stick to 1-2T per day (mostly 1T), and some days I don’t have any.

The wrap looks good! Who knew avocado, nut butter, and banana went so well together!

Freckled Foodie August 16, 2010 at 11:07 am

ohh mannn nut butter is totally a trigger food for me! i’m SO glad for the packets of nut butter that you can buy! it helps me stay in control :) haha.

Alicia August 16, 2010 at 12:54 pm

I am a sucker for peanut butter and dry oats!!! Such a delicious combo!!

DiningAndDishing August 16, 2010 at 4:45 pm

That is an excellent question! I try to limit myself to one serving a day, but I certainly crave more than that! Nut butter is just a great way to fill up (healthy and delish!) but I worry that because I have so much of one thing, I’m missing nutrients from another. Still pondering the answer to your question actually!

- Beth @ http://www.DiningAndDishing.com

Lindsay July 14, 2011 at 11:08 pm

Oh my gosh, I am extremely addicted to almond butter! It’s such a problem. I constantly worry that just that extra spoonful will give me enough calories to gain more weight. Since I’ve gotten into having apples with almond butter at least twice a day, I have definitely put on the pounds but now I am trying to take a more controlled approach. I think I will have to get my mom to lock it away after one serving. I do use measuring spoons though to be sure of how much I eat. But hey it’s such good protein, healthy fat, and delicious, I feel like it’s good for me. I would be majorly skimping on protein and fat otherwise since the rest of my diet is a majority of whole grains, veggies, and fruits.

HEAB July 15, 2011 at 9:57 am

Lindsay,
Yeah, nut butter is a very calorically dense food and highly addictive. I often have to remind myself to walk away from the jar. Honestly, it’s easy to overdo it. I’m not one to measure and weigh my food, but I go through my measuring spoon phases with nut butter. Sometimes, you just have to…especially when my jeans are starting to feel a bit snug. Trust me, I get it. :)

Alyssa May 20, 2013 at 8:14 am

I know I’m a little late on this one but I was googling “is it ok to eat almond butter everyday” and your blog popped up! I was worrying that I was eating to much of it (2-3tbs a day). Is that ok? I am vegetarian and don’t really get fats from anywhere else (unless you count hummus). Is it ok to eat it every single day? I count calories and measure so I always stay within my range but I still wonder if that’s too much fat. I bike a lot, this past week I rode at least ten miles everyday but I don’t know if that is enough. Everyone’s comments did make me feel better though! Thanks!

HEAB May 20, 2013 at 1:08 pm

Hi Alyssa,
Better late than never. :)

I don’t think there is anything wrong with 2 to 3 TBSP a day of nut butter, especially if you’re not getting fat from a lot of other dietary sources. Don’t skimp on the fat if you can help it as our bodies need it to function, especially if you’re active. Do you like avocados – those are an excellent source of fat and vitamins/minerals. Coconut is another good source as well as full fat dairy products if you eat dairy…mmm, cheese. And yes, hummus totally counts with that olive oil and tahini! :)

Steph June 21, 2013 at 8:34 am

So I tried your sandwich combination and I am OBSESSED with it. It’s seriously my three favorite foods combined into one! It’s genius. I just wanted to let you know though that I added a little something else to the combination that you and others might like or want to try… add a spoonful of part skim ricotta cheese. OMG…..it was TO DIE FOR!

HEAB June 21, 2013 at 1:26 pm

Hi Steph, so glad you enjoyed the sandwich. I actually haven’t had the combo in a while, but now I MUST try it with ricotta. That sounds amazing. Thanks for sharing. :)

{ 4 trackbacks }