Out And About

by HEAB on August 15, 2010

Yesterday, CD and I spent the afternoon small town hopping in Michigan and had the best time.

First we drove to Sutton’s Bay, and by the time we got there, I was starving since it was past 2 PM, and I hadn’t eaten since 8:30 that morning. So we stopped at O’Keefe’s Firehouse Pub, and I ordered the lamb gyro with a side salad. The Irish cook up a mean gyro. Who knew? ;)

We then made our way to Leland and walked around Fishtown, a tiny preserved fishing village, after so many of you recommended it. Oh my gosh – so cute. Probably my favorite place we’ve visited thus far.

Look Erin, we even found the Village Cheese Shanty, but I was too full of lamb to get a sandwich. Next time for sure!

Our Next stop was Northport where they were holding their annual wine festival. We skipped out on the vino and walked along the beach instead.

This is lake Michigan…I had no idea how clear and beautiful the water would be!

We arrived back in Fife Lake around 7 PM only to learn that our little cottage was without power after a neighbor’s tree branch fell on the power lines. In fact, we still don’t have power and probably won’t until sometime tomorrow. We’re also out of water now…I’m trying to think of it as our little camping adventure. We’ll survive.

So, without any electricity, dinner options were limited…

I fixed myself a big bowl of Trader Joe’s High Fiber Cereal with tepid almond milk, a very ripe plum, and a blob of Naturally Nutty Vanilla Cinnamon Sunbutter. Not too exciting, but it did the job. I ate the same thing for breakfast this morning, leaving us with nothing in our cabinet or fridge but nut butter and chocolate chips. I think I can work with that. ;)

Despite living without modern conveniences, Chris and I have managed to have a great day. We had two very special visitors, but more about that in tomorrow’s post. We’re now off to enjoy the afternoon sunshine. I can only blog & email at the local library, and so I probably won’t be checking back in until tomorrow. I hope you all had a wonderful weekend!

What’s the longest you’ve ever been without power? For me, I think it was about 3 days after a bad ice storm in Nashville. Our house was soooo cold. Definitely not a fun camping adventure!

Heather August 15, 2010 at 2:15 pm

When we lived in Colorado, our house used propane to heat the house and water heater. we forgot to check the guage for a long time and it ran out on christmas eve. Well of course nobody’s open until after christmas day, so for 2 days no hot water or furnace,but lots of snuggling and electric blanket usage.

julie August 15, 2010 at 2:19 pm

during the blackout in new york a couple of years ago we didn’t have power for like 2 days! it was pretty bad but i definitely caught up on sleep haha

your day with CD sounds awesome :) and there’s seriously nothing like finding a solid gyro joint!

VeggieGirl August 15, 2010 at 2:21 pm

The longest I’ve been without power was about a month ago, when it was out for 25 hours. I remember us chatting during that time and I was complaining the whole time, haha ;) Sorry!

Tina August 15, 2010 at 2:27 pm

I think not being able to cook or not being able to have internet are the two hardest things to live without when there’s no power.

That village looks so pretty!

Pearl Lee August 15, 2010 at 2:34 pm

you and CD are stunning! it looks picturesque.

Emily August 15, 2010 at 2:34 pm

We went about two weeks during an ice storm. It was AWFUL. Like, it made us all crazy.

Your trip looks like so much fun! I’m envious.

That plum looks amazing. Mmm.

Sarena (The Non-Dairy Queen) August 15, 2010 at 2:44 pm

We sent without power for a few days, luckily we had a gas stove, so we were ok with food. I hope you get it back soon! Enjoy the rest of your day!

Balance is Beauty August 15, 2010 at 2:47 pm

I just stumbled across your blog today and I LOVE IT! Your pictures are great, your stories are interesting, and I love your reviews of food. Yay for new blogs to read!

Heather Eats Almond Butter August 15, 2010 at 5:08 pm

Balance Is Beauty, Glad you found me and thanks for reading! :)

pursuitofhealthfulness August 15, 2010 at 2:49 pm

I love Leland. Such a wonderful place to spend the summer! If you ever have the chance to go to Mackinac Island, do! It is my favorite place in the world.

My answer for the longest I’ve been without power is a bit of a cheat, considering we weren’t staying in the house. But, a few years ago, my house lost power during Christmas for about a week. We came back to find our fish frozen in their bowl!

Heather Eats Almond Butter August 15, 2010 at 5:19 pm

Pursuit, We’re hoping to get up to Mackinac before we leave. I can’t wait to see it as I’ve only heard good things.

madebyjill August 15, 2010 at 2:53 pm

4 days no power, dead of winter (think 4 degrees Farenheit) St. John’s Newfoundland, Canada (Where you would totally love to visit Heather! In the summer of course)

Ice Storm of the Century – January 4-9, 1998. One of the most destructive and disruptive storms in Canadian history hit Eastern Canada causing hardship for 4 million people and costing $3 billion. Losses included millions of trees, 130 transmission towers and 120,000 km of power and telephone lines. Power outages lasted from several hours to four weeks.

From this website: http://www.ec.gc.ca/meteo-weather/default.asp?lang=En&n=6A4A3AC5-1#1981-1999

Heather Eats Almond Butter August 15, 2010 at 5:18 pm

Madebyjill, Wow Jill, I really can’t complain after hearing about that storm. 4 weeks of no power?!? People must have been freezing to death…literally. Glad you only lost yours for 4 days, but still sounds awful…and yes, I would LOVE to visit St. John’s Newfoundland in the summer someday!

Michelle August 15, 2010 at 3:30 pm

A week, but we thankfully were going on vacation anyways so we only had to suffer through it for a week while our neighbors had to go two weeks with out power! The worst part? We didn’t have power for Christmas OR New Years!

Angie August 15, 2010 at 3:37 pm

Hi Heather, I don’t know if I have de-lurked yet and said hi, but I love that cute dress you were wearing! Ugh my memories of power-outages involve Phoenix, AZ – Monsoon season – no power, no a/c…just flashlights, candles and sweat! I’m in Seattle now, and though we’re having a bit of a heat wave (90′s and no a/c) I am loving it…the waterfront, lakes etc like you’re probably enjoying on your babymoon. Looking forward to your ext post about your special guests :)

Heather Eats Almond Butter August 15, 2010 at 5:16 pm

Angie, Thanks so much – would you believe I bought that dress at Whole Foods? Our supplement dept stocks clothing as well, and my yoga instructor had the dress on one day after class over her yoga pants, and I HAD to have one. Oh my gosh, it’s so comfy. Just bought it about a month ago, and so they still might have them.

Love love love Seattle. Sometimes, CD and I dream about moving to the Pacific NW…someday maybe. :)

Little Bookworm August 15, 2010 at 3:45 pm

Sounds like you and CD have a lovely day. Hope the power comes back soon!

christina cadden August 15, 2010 at 3:48 pm

Looks like such a pretty relaxing place!

eatmovelove August 15, 2010 at 3:59 pm

Oh my! I agree with Tina – no water and power…holy crap, it’s tough isn’t it. You don’t realize how much you can’t do! I hope it gets fixed soon.

That lamb is calling my name. Is lamb a good source of iron? Have your levels improved?

And THANK-YOU for commenting on my post! Seriously, it’ like an “honor” to have you read it (although I know you don’t normally – that’s totally cool!). I feel like there are so many great blogs out there that are so creative and well-written…it makes me second-guess my point in writing or if there’s any ability. But I don’t have the time to write meaningful, insightful posts all the time unfortunately.

So, I love the simplicity of your posts and its, I don’t know, “happiness”…? (trying not to be negative and ruminating here remember LOL – I’m even reading a book on it! will let you know how that works out hah!)

Oh – and you addressed the Nut Butters…next question – HUMMUS!!! I’m addicted…and a tub is a serving right? ;)

Heather Eats Almond Butter August 15, 2010 at 5:14 pm

Eatmovelove, Yes, I believe lamb is a good source of iron, and I’m not sure what my levels are these days. They were down last time I had them checked – about 2 months ago I think? However, I’m feeling really good these days, and so I’m not too concerned.

Never second guess yourself…and thank you, I enjoy my simple posts too. They’re fun to write and easy to read.

Yes, I do believe that 1 tub of hummus = 1 serving. :)

Erica @ ericaunmasked.blogspot.com August 15, 2010 at 4:00 pm

I LOVE that you are enjoying this so much. it is so wonderful:) We were without power this year with the blizzard – but luckily – only one day…bc I was wiggin. I am not a good camper. Your trip looks beautiful!

Sarah Jayne August 15, 2010 at 4:07 pm

Ahhhh cheeeeese shantyyyyy! My summer is not complete without a cheese shanty sandwich!! I hope you get to try one if you come back this direction. You also need to visit Glen Arbor. Like Leland, but less historic and more beaches/places to eat. Also- did you say you would be back to TC area this coming Thursday? Email me if so, I would love to show you more great food finds in town!!

Heather Eats Almond Butter August 15, 2010 at 5:11 pm

Sarah, Yep, Thursday, I could meet you for lunch somewhere at 12:30 or 1 as I have to be somewhere at 2. Just let me know if that works and where to be. :)

Jessica @ How Sweet August 15, 2010 at 4:16 pm

We had a big snow storm in February and went without it for 3 days. Luckily, my parents live close and we ended up there eventually after we dug out from under 25 inches of snow. I never have taken electricity for granted again!

Nicole August 15, 2010 at 4:36 pm

Boo for no power! But I’m glad you have such a good attitude about it. Whenever we lose power I get cranky bc I’m afraid our food will go bad! The water thing is a bummer too.
BTW you are looking great!! <3

Hayley August 15, 2010 at 4:58 pm

You look like you’re having a blast in MI! I’m so jealous, I’m a native Yooper (the Upper half of MI) and miss home so much! Glad you’re loving my home state as much as I do!:)

Heather Eats Almond Butter August 15, 2010 at 5:09 pm

Hayley, MI is beautiful! :)

Katie August 15, 2010 at 5:04 pm

I have no idea what the longest I’ve been without electricity is. Ummm, does camping count? I used to work in Hawaii and we camped for 10 days at a time. No shower, no electricity. Head lamps and campstoves. A shower has never felt better than after 10 days at those hot, humid beachy field sites.

tanyasdaily August 15, 2010 at 5:09 pm

24 hours and I thought that was too long…when ever you are without something…then you realize just how fortunate we really are!
Hope you get your electricity quick!

Monique@She's Going The Distance August 15, 2010 at 5:23 pm

What a perfect day!! :)

Raychel August 15, 2010 at 5:37 pm

Two years ago, Hurricane Ike came through and hit OHIO (along with a bunch of other midwest states). But the storm was so bad, we had our power out throughout the area for 1-2 weeks depending on the location. It was so weird- getting out of school for hurricane days (and even going back with no power, no school lunches, etc), even all the businesses closed in the middle of Sept! Its pretty funny to think of it now- http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/26802767/

Hope you get yours back soon!

Heather Eats Almond Butter August 15, 2010 at 5:42 pm

Raychel, I remember that. Who would’ve thought – OHIO?!?

Carbzilla August 15, 2010 at 6:03 pm

Fishtown is adorable!

Hmmm, I can’t remember being without power for any significant period. A bunch of folks lost power here a few years back, but we were fine. Sounds like you’re making the most of your adventure and approaching it with the right attitude. After all, it’s still vacation!

Molly August 15, 2010 at 6:03 pm

I love TJ’s high fiber cereal! It’s weird but I always eat it dry, smushed with pb. It tastes so yummy.

Heather Eats Almond Butter August 15, 2010 at 6:08 pm

Molly, I’ve done that, and you’re right – so good. It’s like crunch PB with a kick. Plus, I must add it’s even better with a few chocolate chips thrown in the mix! ;)

Annie August 15, 2010 at 6:08 pm

Several years ago there was a wicked ice storm in Oklahoma .. the worst of the century.. it was spooky beautiful… did you know tree limbs popping off of trees sound a lot like gunshots??? mmm hmmmmm.. anyhoo, it caused a falling tree to rip the electric box off the back of my house… my entire neighborhood was without electricity for 4 days… but me?? I’m special… I was signed up with every electrician in town and my lowest number in line was in the 800′s.. I was without electricity for six weeks… yes, SIX WEEKS.. luckily, my house was old and I had a floor gas furnace and a gas stove.. I took showers at work (I worked at a hospital).. and learned to appreciate the lost arts of writing letters and reading by candlelight! LOL One of the doctors saw me coming in one morning to shower and asked me what was up.. I told him and that afternoon I had electricity.. THAT AFTERNOON.. geez.. had I known that I’d have dropped some serious hints a lot sooner.. LOL

Enjoy your visiting the 19th century… should be romantic… CD… the lake… quiet… ahhhhh

Blog on
Annie

Heather Eats Almond Butter August 15, 2010 at 6:13 pm

Annie, 6 weeks!?! That’s wild, but it sounds like you made the best of it. Writing letters by candlelight sound really nice actually, and yes, I’ve heard icy tree limbs popping. They’re loud!

Jenn (Jenn's Menu and Lifestyle Blog) August 15, 2010 at 6:30 pm

That little sandwich shop is so cute!

The longest I’ve gone without electricity was 7 days after a terrible snow and ice storm here in upstate, NY. It happened 2 times about 2 years apart. Worst. days. ever. lol I’m spoiled by convenience! :)

Jenn

Heather Eats Almond Butter August 15, 2010 at 6:36 pm

Jenn, I think we all take electricity for granted. I know I sure do!

caronae August 15, 2010 at 6:44 pm

Sutton’s Bay+Leland+Fishtown=all of my childhood summer vacations. Seriously, some of my favorite places in the entire world. I can’t believe you’re there! More importantly, I’m glad you’re having fun. Who knew there were other people who knew about Fishtown? I thought I was the only one! And yes, Lake MI is gorgeous. The dunes are great fun to climb and play on.

I’m really hating being stuck in NYC right now. I want to be there so bad. I can’t tell yoou how much I miss lazy summer weekends splashing in the lakes, making sand castles…sigh. Glad that I can at least live vicariously through you! :)

Heather Eats Almond Butter August 15, 2010 at 6:46 pm

Caronae, You’re home state is beautiful – I can understand why you miss it so. :)

Averie (LoveVeggiesAndYoga) August 15, 2010 at 6:54 pm

“This is lake Michigan…I had no idea how clear and beautiful the water would be!”—ON THE MICHIGAN side, not on the Chicago side. LOL :) Trust me, living in Chicago overlooking the lake in many a highrise in my early 20s, the last thing I saw was the pic you posted; talk about sludge and murk. Be glad you’re on the Mich. side.

You look glowing, Heather! You are a little bigger (duh) than you were a few weeks ago and you are wearing pregnancy so well. I am soooo happy for you!

Longest without power…hmmm, probably about 36 hrs in the San Diego fires about 4 yrs ago. I had a newborn baby and life was very dicey with no power and no hot water with a tiny baby. Thank god for breastfeeding. Seriously, in natural disasters, those babies who are not breastfed have a much higher risk of illness or worse…Another reason to nurse!

Sorry to go all Lactivist on you. Random comment, I know, but you bring it out of me :)

Rachael August 15, 2010 at 7:09 pm

That village does look pretty cute!
Two and a half years without power is my longest stint so far, though the runner-up was a year and a half (in Malawi, Africa). My house was bought in a condemned state, and we wanted to do everything ourselves, and so for the first couple of years we were unintentionally off-grid – no electricity, no running water, no heat source. Fun times. I formed an unnatural attachment to long underwear and my down comforter, and met many a neighbor asking for a five gallon bucket o’ water!

Heather Eats Almond Butter August 16, 2010 at 7:45 am

Rachael, OK, I think you win the award for going the longest without power. Impressive!

Mary @ Bites and Bliss August 15, 2010 at 7:29 pm

Lake Michigan looks gorgeous! Glad you and CD got to spend the afternoon walking along the beach together. :)

eatmovelove August 15, 2010 at 7:44 pm

HEAB, I was curious about your experience with Yoga as well. I know you said before it made all the difference for you…what was it about it and what type were you doing?

I don’t know…I even did the training course – but had so much other crap going on in my life that I couldn’t appreciate it or even really try for it…others made me feel “bad” for even taking it (long story – and yes, I know that noone else can make you feel bad for something)…anyhow! I still can’t even get myself to get to the mat for anything basic…and wonder then if it’s not even for me in the first place?

Heather Eats Almond Butter August 16, 2010 at 7:57 am

Eatmovelove, I started out doing a lot of intense workout b/c in my head, I had to get my sweat on for it to count (honestly, I still struggle with this). So, I did mostly heated vinyasa classes several time a week. My body was so toned – so much more than it ever was from running/lifting, I gained tons of strength and flexibility, lost a few pounds, and felt great. However, as time went on, I really learned to appreciate the slower flow classes…with a lot less heat. They still kick my butt sometimes, but I find I enjoy the gentler yoga a lot more – both physically and mentally.

Keep in mind, yoga is not for everyone, just like running is not for everyone. Don’t ever force yourself to do activities you don’t enjoy. Do what you love!

A Teenage Gourmet August 15, 2010 at 8:31 pm

By some magical force, I convinced my parents to try FOUR of your Nashville recommendations. :D We went to:

1. Calypso Café – perfect casual lunch, and I tried the black bean salad. :)
2. Fido – I had a green chili hummus platter, which I loved.
3. Sweet CeCe’s – FUN! My Dad was so cute, playing with his toppings!
4. Marché – my favorite! We bought cookies, tomato jam, and brioche to go. ;)

Have you been to the popsicle place that was feature on The Food Network? I wanted to go there, but it closed too early.

Vanderbilt was gorgeous, but closed! There was nobody around to answer my questions. I’ll just have to return later in the fall. ;)

Thank you, Heather!

Heather Eats Almond Butter August 16, 2010 at 7:53 am

Teenage Gourmet, You hit some of my favorites! So happy you enjoyed the hummus platter and Marche. Yes, I have been to Las Paletas…many a time. Their avocado popsicle is the best in my opinion. If you come back in the fall, we’ll go for sure. :)

Laura August 15, 2010 at 8:52 pm

12 days no power after Hurricane Frances. 14 days no power after Hurricane Jeanne. We learned our lesson that year and got a whole house generator so that we actually had power in the aftermath of both Hurricanes Katrina and Wilma the next summer.

Deva (Voracious Vorilee) August 15, 2010 at 9:21 pm

Two years ago we were without power for five days. We ate out a lot during that time frame. It was September, so while it wasn’t terrible (it wasn’t cold or anything), it was still hard. We watched the original Star Wars trilogy on laptops. Fortunately we have a gas water heater, so we had hot water for showers.

The night it came back on, I wanted ice cream, and I wanted electricity. So I went to buy ice cream. And to get a slush (for The Boy). Not ten minutes after I got home? the power was back on..

Kim August 15, 2010 at 11:10 pm

Well, once you bring home the Heablet, and are beyond tired, you will appreciate this story….
So, Bella was maybe 2 weeks old ( she was born @ 33 weeks), and she had colic, which later we found out was an allergic to ALL milk proteins. Being that she was so early and I had major complications from my emergency c section, breast feeding was just not an option. So, we were up about every hour feeding her ( trying to feed her) this nasty formula that her GI perscribed. We were days away from a feeding tube. Anyways, being new, very tired, very worried parents, life kinda went on hold. I was so tired one morning I put the said nasty formula in my 100th cup of coffee instead of my beloved rice milk!

So, we were enjoying a leisurely 116 degree day here in good old Scottsdale AZ, in our nice air conditioned house, when all of a sudden the power went out! Now, it was in the afternoon, no storms, nothing. So, we foolishly assumed it was a “brown out”. Fred went outside to see if he could hear if our neighbors air cons were still working or pool pumps. Strangely enough, no one else had their power off, only OUR house was affected. Now, the panic sets in.

I call the power company to see why our power is suddenly off ( a huge DUH moment here). Now, we have this very tiny, sick baby who had this crazy formula that required a candy therm to reach a certain temp while preparing on our electric range, and had to be kept in a cooled at all times. This stuff was no joke, we are talking over $1000 month, and insurance did not cover, liquid gold I tell ya. So, the electric company kindly informs me that the electric was shut off due to non payment! Shut the front door! What! So it seems while I was in the hospital having Bella and having an extended stay due to all the drama, the electric bill was one of those bills not on auto pay. Fred being at the hospital did not make mail a huge priority and truth be told, when we got home. Most of the impt bills were on auto pay.

Again, my hormones, lack of sleep and mommy protection mode kick in. They inform us that APS will be out in the next 2 to 5 days to turn on. Ummm, no, that is not going to work. 116 outside, 2 story house, newborn. So, I start sobbing on the phone. I think the man who took my call freaked out and said IF we signed up for autopay immediately, he would have someone out in hours to get us turned back on….and they did. It hit 118 by the end of the week!

Long story short, I highly encourage auto pay to ALL new parents! We still laugh about this and how both of us were so clueless!

I love Michigan! I grew up in Chicago as well and totally agree with Averie. Lake Mich on that side, not so pretty! ;)

Heather Eats Almond Butter August 16, 2010 at 7:51 am

Kim, We’ve already got auto-pay set up for our electric bill…thank goodness! :)

actorsdiet August 16, 2010 at 12:06 am

what an adorable town! i love gyro, but have never had an “irish” one. who knew, indeed!

dcwright02 August 16, 2010 at 2:14 am

wish i had some sunshine to blog about. all we’ve had up in AK is 27 plus days of rain and clouds… a record for our summers! Oh well, guess i’ll just have to slosh around in some puddles and risk getting my camera soaked! have fun!

Heather Eats Almond Butter August 16, 2010 at 7:47 am

cdwright02 Sending thoughts of sunshine your way right now! :)

Heather Eats Almond Butter August 16, 2010 at 7:47 am

Oops, meant DCwright02. :)

Kristin (Cook, Bake and Nibble) August 16, 2010 at 6:01 am

I LOVE lamb gyro. You’ve got me cravin’ it now… ;) The irish also cook up a mean curry. That one also stumps me!

I’ve been camping without power, but never longer than a few days. It is a strange feeling for sure!

xo
Kris

40apples August 16, 2010 at 6:49 am

What a little adventure! Power outages can be novel and fun for a moment, but if they last too long it can just plain suck. Hopefully your power will return before it gets to that point!

I think the longest one I’ve ever experienced was also during an ice storm, in Oregon when I was little. It lasted about 3 days. It was freezing. And dark. Definitely no fun!

annecalista August 16, 2010 at 6:58 am

Looks like you two are having such a wonderful trip! I”m sure you’ll have great memories from it for a long time :-)

Mandie August 16, 2010 at 9:09 am

All of your posts about your stay in Michigan is making me miss home so much! I’m so glad you’re enjoying your time there!

Heather Eats Almond Butter August 16, 2010 at 10:29 am

Thank you Mandie, We are! :)

Kendall August 16, 2010 at 3:39 pm

I love your dress with the rain cloud, heavy rain and little person with an umbrella! That is what I see, right?? Are you sure you didn’t get that in Seattle? It looks like a souvenir from around here :)

Heather Eats Almond Butter August 16, 2010 at 3:48 pm

Kendall, That does look like a Seattle dress! I actually got it at Whole Foods. Random, I know, but we have a huge supplement/body care section in a whole other store called Whole Body right next to our Whole Foods, and they sell really cute clothes. Leave it to me to go shopping for groceries and come home with a new dress! ;)

Quix August 16, 2010 at 9:15 pm

It all looks spectacular – the food, the scenery, everything! Nut butter and chocolate chips, what will you do? Oh no…hehe.

Erin August 20, 2010 at 10:59 pm

I’m so glad you two got to make it out to Leelanau and Fishtown! I have so many great memories of going out there as a kid (and a lot of them involve the candy store near the Village Cheese Shanty;)
I’m heading up to TC for a week next friday- can’t wait!!
Enjoy the rest of your trip!

Heather Eats Almond Butter August 21, 2010 at 8:00 am

Erin, Haha – we walked in that candy store…and right back out before I went crazy. It smelled divine and Lake Leelanau was just beautiful! Enjoy your trip as well. :)

{ 1 trackback }