HEAB Electrified

by HEAB on August 17, 2010

The power is back! We had an electrician here all day yesterday working on repairing the power lines – he had to move the electric box or something. Then the power company showed up and by 4 PM, we had lights and water. I laughed with joy when I turned on the faucet in the kitchen sink and there was water. I immediately washed all our dirty dishes while CD went straight to the TV to catch up on football news. Typical. :)

After yesterday’s perverse oats and my cardio metabolic circuit from Lindsey, I decided I needed protein and veggies for lunch. However, without power, that wasn’t happening. So, after Chris finished up some work and checked in with his office from the local library (he’s able to work from Michigan as long as we have Internet), I leashed up the pups and walked up to the Loon’s Nest Restaurant to meet him for lunch.

I ordered the chicken salad minus the sweet dressing, pineapple, mandarin oranges, and dried cherries. Really people, I wanted chicken salad, not a fruit salad. It was perfect and so filling. I find that I get so full these days…I think it’s just the HEABlet taking up room down below. :)

Chicken salad, heavy on the cashews, just the way I like it!

Since we had guys working all over the house yesterday, CD and I decided to spend the afternoon down by the water with the dogs. It was such a nice day – sunny and in the 70′s, and I love getting to spend the afternoons with my hubby. Plus, I think school is now back in session as we practically had the whole little beach to ourselves. Such a peaceful day.

After getting back home and discovering we had electricity, CD went to the grocery store. He arrived home with lots of yummy veggies, and I immediately made myself a big stir-fry with butter, cabbage slaw mix, Brussels sprouts, onions, and celery. I then topped it with some of the goat cheese Carolyn brought us. It was just what I needed!

As much as I love oats and other various forms of carbs, if I don’t get in some greens and protein, I just feel gross and over-carbed. Do you get that way?

Today’s workout was an early morning long walk with the dogs followed by a long hot shower…I love indoor plumbing. :)

PS – Carolyn, the butter and cheese from The Boulevard Market are both amazing!

VeggieGirl August 17, 2010 at 8:14 am

For me personally, I avoid thoughts of “over-carbed” and whatnot. I just enjoy.

Anna August 17, 2010 at 8:16 am

I remember my sister talking about how FULL she got so quickly when she was pregnant!

Glad your plumbing is back to normal!!!

Jessica @ How Sweet August 17, 2010 at 8:17 am

I wish I felt gross if I didn’t eat greens. I feel more gross eating them…. haha.

carrie @ gingerlemongirl.com August 17, 2010 at 8:19 am

Yay for power! I hate how dependant on electric power I am… but AC is so worth it! lol… Your chicken salad with grapes & cashews looks SO good! Yummy!!

Jenn (Jenn's Menu and Lifestyle Blog) August 17, 2010 at 8:24 am

That chicken salad from the restaurant looks perfect! Like something you would make at home, SUPER YUM!

I find that whenever I am out of my element, be it too much fat, sugar, or sodium, that I crave simplicity and veggies. I typically don’t crave protein that often, except seafood. Love grilled salmon and so many other yummies. :) I could eat salmon and tuna everyday and never get tired of it!

Jenn

Christina August 17, 2010 at 8:25 am

So glad you have electricity back! Yay for modern “conveniences” =D

I definitely need my veggies and protein to feel energized. Too many carbs put me in a food coma and I feel hungry all day.

Michelle August 17, 2010 at 8:27 am

My body really craves carbs. Like an intense amount of carbs. I might feel bloated for about 5 minutes if I eat too much, but usually my body is super happy.

When is the HEABlet expected to join us in the world?

Heather Eats Almond Butter August 17, 2010 at 8:33 am

Michelle, November 18. :)

Veggiesmack August 17, 2010 at 8:31 am

I love my carbs, but I do feel better when I get a bunch of fruits and veggies in with them!

runningaroundnormal August 17, 2010 at 8:38 am

That’s awesome that CD can work from Michigan – and a bonus that he could find a connection when the internet was down :) I can definitely feel the carb-overload if I have oats over and over – especially when my muscles are repairing from a good workout!

couchpotatoathlete August 17, 2010 at 8:38 am

I don’t feel gross without greens/protein, but when I do eat alot of carbs I feel sluggish. Its all about balance!

Run Sarah August 17, 2010 at 8:42 am

Your stirfry looks awesome! I have all thos ingreds in my fridge right now so will have to re-create it!

Heather Eats Almond Butter August 17, 2010 at 8:47 am

Run Sarah, I also added salt and garlic pepper. ‘Twas tasty. Enjoy! :)

tanyasdaily August 17, 2010 at 8:46 am

yes, I always feel that way I don’t get enough vegetables!

thedelicateplace August 17, 2010 at 8:46 am

i could probably eat my weight in veg daily. i “carb up” on veggies some days (think roasted beets, butternut squash or potato) nothing beats a starch fest with nut butter on top mmm

Heather Eats Almond Butter August 17, 2010 at 8:48 am

delicateplace, Agreed! :)

Erika August 17, 2010 at 8:48 am

Mmmm, Mmmm, Mmmm! That salad looks delicious! :-)

Dorry August 17, 2010 at 8:58 am

I can definitely overdo it on the carby goodness and it leaves me feel heavy and overall yuck. I always start to crave crunchy fresh veggies and spinach. :)

Sarena (The Non-Dairy Queen) August 17, 2010 at 9:02 am

Yay for power! So glad you both had such a great day after all! I hope today is great too!

Carbzilla August 17, 2010 at 9:24 am

Lunch is just better at a picnic table. :)

Heather Eats Almond Butter August 17, 2010 at 9:25 am

Carb, Agreed. I love eating outside on a beautiful day! :)

Chandra August 17, 2010 at 9:33 am

Totally feel the carb out…I start to feel like my veins are clogged and I need to purge by eating tons of greens. I will have to try the slaw mix…I love cabbage and buying it pre-shredded…never even thought of it!! This is why I love your blog!

Heather Eats Almond Butter August 17, 2010 at 10:04 am

Chandra, Yes, I love the cabbage slaw mix – I’m so lazy sometimes when it comes to chopping veggies and buying the bagged stuff makes it so easy.

kaztronomic August 17, 2010 at 9:50 am

Yay for having power back on! :D

I actually like salads that are brimming with fruit. I guess I have an insane sweet tooth? LOL

Yes, too many carbs just make me feel sluggish and ick. A couple days of cookie-fests or pasta-madness, and my body is screaming for the leafy greens. =)

eatmovelove August 17, 2010 at 9:58 am

Oh my God – is it weird that I actually feel relieved and so happy for you guys getting your power back! I can feel the joy from just running water LOL !

Yeah, no matter what I eat – there’s always loads of veggies in my day that’s for sure. I think I push the much too much button for sure – but then I balance it out with a side of cow or something :) …and carrot cake…

Is that Grapes in your chicken Salad?! LOL about the fruit – personally I’d keep it in there! – but I know what you mean – the worst is when you ask for a Salad, and there’s hardly any veggies – just lettuce, crispy sticks and a drizzle of dressing…like McDonald’s or something blah ;)

Heather Eats Almond Butter August 17, 2010 at 10:06 am

Eatmovlove, I’m always so disappointed when I order a salad, and it’s nothing but iceberg lettuce, croutons, and cheese. Come on people, get with the times!

Yes, I left the grapes in…love my chicken salad with grapes and nuts!

eatmovelove August 17, 2010 at 10:01 am

Oh and I made cookies/muffins recently with a book that has a good recipe – all good stuff in there (I think?! – not Paula Deen anyways ;) ) and posted on my blog – interesting combo and they taste divine :)

caronae August 17, 2010 at 10:23 am

I love oats and brown rice, but I get the same way as you with too much: I will literally start craving veggies, proteins, and fats. Some days I have no trouble downing 8 servings of veggies. On days that are more cereal and pastry filled, I don’t feel guilty, but I do feel lethargic and icky. I think that people genuinely do have bodies that tolerate macronutrients in different ways. I think our bodies might actually be really similar in the way we handle certain foods.

I don’t think I’ve ever mentioned this, but of all the many, many bloggers out there, I eat most similarly to you; it just works for me.

Heather Eats Almond Butter August 17, 2010 at 10:29 am

Caronaeh, No, I don’t think you’ve ever mentioned that to me before. So, from one veggie + fats + Moose Tracks lover to another, I hope you have a wonderful day! :)

Kristin (Cook, Bake and Nibble) August 17, 2010 at 10:25 am

I love good ol’ fashioned chicken salad. And grapes go so well with it!

I totally feel over-carbed if I eat too many grains. I don’t think it’s a restriction thing, I think it’s my body calling out for GREENS! I feel much lighter when I eat more veggies than starches (unless you’re talking about sweet potatoes, and in that case, bring ‘em on!)

xo
Kris

Heather Eats Almond Butter August 17, 2010 at 10:30 am

Kris, Ha, I feel the same way about my beloved sweet taters. They’re totally a veggie! :)

Kayla August 17, 2010 at 10:27 am

I know exactly what you mean about the carbs. This morning I had a bowl of overnight oats and was starving about 3.5 hours later! Now I’m noshing on veggies, rice, and hummus. Feelin’ better already :-)

kelsey@snackingsquirrel.com August 17, 2010 at 10:32 am

oh goodness, i NEED to get a chicken salad really soon! the crunch of the cashews, the creaminess of the chicken and mayo, and the crispy sweetness of the grapes- WOW! this place knows EXACTLY what goes into making a dynamite salad!

xoxo

BroccoliHut August 17, 2010 at 10:58 am

People always laugh when I say this, but I really do crave veggies and tofu (and chickpeas, of course). If I have too many meals of bread and noodles, I’m bound to get cranky.

Heather Eats Almond Butter August 17, 2010 at 3:23 pm

BroccoliHut, I would never laugh as I totally get it. :)

Emily August 17, 2010 at 11:10 am

Oof, yeah. I don’t like fruit in salads very much, but grapes in chicken salad is a must.

Averie (LoveVeggiesAndYoga) August 17, 2010 at 11:13 am

“I ordered the chicken salad minus the sweet dressing, pineapple, mandarin oranges, and dried cherries. ”

–ok I would have ordered the salad MINUS the chicken LOL and kept most of the fruit in it LOL. However i totally agree, too much fruit in salad is bleah. You do have to be in the mood for it, too, no matter what.

“if I don’t get in some greens and protein, I just feel gross and over-carbed. Do you get that way?”–

As much as I joke that I love sugar and carbs, it’s not bread/white carbs or processed carbs, we’re talking fruit or more natural carbs and yes, if I dont have greens, i.e. veggies easily make up 60-75% of my diet..i dunno, just guessing on that, but yes, if I dont have a TON of fresh, raw natural produce and greens daily, I feel disgusting!!! and it just makes me feel icky for the whole day.

So happy you got your power back on and that you’re savoring this awesome time in your life!!!!!

Hayley August 17, 2010 at 11:38 am

I always find myself being so appreciative for electricity after it’s been gone for a while- everything about it is new and fun again!!

HEABlet due November 18?? 5 days from my birthday! If she decides to be late we could be birthday buddies.

Heather Eats Almond Butter August 17, 2010 at 3:29 pm

Hayley, Well, as much I hope the HEABlet is *not* late, I could accept it if she was born on your birthday. :)

annecalista August 17, 2010 at 11:49 am

I feel yucky if I don’t have fresh fruit and veggies for a certain amount of time. I like to eat ‘em every day :-) Glad you got your power back!

Amanda @ Cakes and Ale August 17, 2010 at 11:51 am

Carbs don’t make me feel that way… I actually feel really weird if I don’t have enough carbs and have eaten too much protein. Gives me the spins!

Amanda @ Baking w/o a box August 17, 2010 at 11:53 am

Congrats on power being back. Impossible to get through the day w/o our conveniences!

That chicken salad made me hungry. Wish I could reach through the screen and have it for lunch right now!

petersenplace August 17, 2010 at 12:05 pm

Your big stir-fries of veggies always look so amazing. I need to make one of those stat!

Ana August 17, 2010 at 12:34 pm

“If I don’t get in some greens and protein, I just feel gross and over-carbed”
You summed it up Heather, I am the same way! Veggies rock my world, if I don’t eat them I feel gross, it is a horrible feeling. I do love my oats and eat them every day, but too many carbs in the same day do make me feel… well…. over-carbed! :-)
Your veggie stir fry looks delicious!!

Ana August 17, 2010 at 12:38 pm

Oh yes, and I am so glad you have water and electricity back!! Yay!!
It is horrible to not have those things, believe me when I say I know how it feels. After 3 days without power after an ice storm on a cold December and a 8-months old baby, I now get nervous with just the thought of being without power for more than a few hours. Although it would be a whole lot easier now with an 8 year old kid!

Janet August 17, 2010 at 1:05 pm

Hi Heather. Does your dinner of veggies and no meat fill you up? Quite often I can’t be bothered with cooking meat but I always think that I need the protein?

Heather Eats Almond Butter August 17, 2010 at 3:27 pm

Janet, Yes! A big plateful of Brussels cooked in about a 1/2 to 1 tbsp of butter does the trick…I also added cheese. Fat seems to satiate me more than protein.

Tina August 17, 2010 at 1:09 pm

I can’t wait for the weather here to be 70s! I’m over summer and the 90s.

Michelle August 17, 2010 at 1:24 pm

The chicken salad looks wonderful.
Glad your electric is back on.

Mary @ Bites and Bliss August 17, 2010 at 1:28 pm

Ahh it must have been SO nice to walk home to power!!!

Laura August 17, 2010 at 1:45 pm

I just don’t understand how people can eat fruit in a savoury salad!! xx

Katie August 17, 2010 at 2:01 pm

Those midwesterners will put anything sweet on a salad to get people to it! (I can say that, being from there and growing up on fruit-filled salads.)

You dinner looks perfect, and yes, before I went gluten free, I felt over-carbed a lot. Now, I rarely feel like that….so much nicer!

Heather Eats Almond Butter August 17, 2010 at 3:26 pm

Katie, Yeah, I’m surprised they didn’t throw some soft serve in there somewhere…or a scoop of Moose Tracks on the side. ;)

thewhatkateateblog August 17, 2010 at 2:31 pm

Congrats on your little HEABlet! Im so sad Ive been out of the loop for so long!

Heather Eats Almond Butter August 17, 2010 at 3:25 pm

Thanks Kate! :)

Rachael August 17, 2010 at 2:33 pm

I have learned to love electricity – glad your’s is back on!
I’ve found that too many carbs – especially potatoes or sweet potatoes, wheat and whatnot – make my arthritis flare up something fierce (in my head, I said that in a grandmother-style voice). Greens, veggies and spices have the opposite affect, so I tend to load up on them these days.

40apples August 17, 2010 at 2:40 pm

I definitely get the over-carbed feeling. I have to start with the greens and protein or else I’ll fill up on the carbs (my weakness!) and not even have an appetite for the others. Not good!

spoonfulofsugarfree August 17, 2010 at 3:20 pm

I totally get over carbed!!! especially when I eat too much fruit, ugh it gives me a headache!

Heather Eats Almond Butter August 17, 2010 at 3:24 pm

Spoonful, Fruit does the same thing to me. If I eat a lot of it, all I want later is nothing but meat. Nothing bready or anything sweet.

Erica @ ericaunmasked.blogspot.com August 17, 2010 at 3:48 pm

OMG – if I don’t eat veggies – I feel deprived. I seriously crave greens. Sick – I know. And I really can’t stand when they put all the dried fruit in my salad. I want greens and meat people..and a little fruit:) Not an orchard:)

kristensweetly August 17, 2010 at 4:17 pm

Oh, I absolutely do! Not necessarily with any carbs; my body loves it some oats. But even when I know I’m eating reasonable calories, etc, if all my foods are heavy for a while, or just generally unbalanced, I start feeling sort of down… a little drab, or something. I guess it’s like everyone else is saying, just sort of tired and rundown.

And now, to go humor my mom and partake in stuffed shells for dinner! Shucks. Just when I think I’ve got all my healthy, happy meals planned, she tells me she’s making this fabulous, “I KNOW I will feel sleepy and full for hours tonight…” meal that we haven’t made in at least three years. Sometimes I think it’s because they’re worried I’m not eating enough good foods (in their eyes) because I went vegetarian. She just knows this lovely things will tempt me and I will never refuse! Hahaha.

Heather Eats Almond Butter August 17, 2010 at 4:20 pm

Kristensweekly, Stuffed shells for dinner actually sounds really good right now! I could so go for that as I had plenty of protein and veggies at lunch. :)

Amber at Berlin's Whimsy August 17, 2010 at 4:18 pm

Glad to hear you have power (and water)! :-) Heather, what is your method for stir-frying brussels? Do you steam them a bit? It seems like they take forever to cook…

Heather Eats Almond Butter August 17, 2010 at 4:21 pm

Amber, I posted my method here: http://heathereatsalmondbutter.com/2010/02/03/whats-in-that-bowl/. I don’t steam, and they really don’t take too long to cook. So yummy – enjoy! :)

hayleycepeda August 17, 2010 at 6:25 pm

YAY for power!!! It’s amazing how much we take it for granted until it’s gone. :) I love the looks of your salad…I actually enjoy fruit but NOT in a salad – especially apples. Little mandarin orange thingies are ok, but not all the other stuff. Nuts, feta/gargonzola always work for me, too!

I can relate to the fullness factor! Baby C seems to constantly have at least one leg stuffed under a rib…

Katrina (gluten free gidget) August 17, 2010 at 7:25 pm

I hopped on the veggie/protein train tonight too! Spiralized Zucchini with marinara sauce, spinach, and chicken topped with soy feta!

Viviane August 17, 2010 at 7:30 pm

I totally agree with your thoughts on the chicken salad. Some restaurants try too hard to be all fancy with their salads and you end up with dessert instead of lunch in your plate! I never thought of asking for no fruit and extra protein before, it’s a great solution!

Pure2raw twins August 17, 2010 at 8:44 pm

Oh yes there are days when we do not get many greens, and I feel horrible, haha well sort of…but I know what you mean ; )

lady bug beauty August 17, 2010 at 9:44 pm

Your summery adventures have me green with envy, we have rain showers today and I can see snow covered mountains not too far away in the distance. If only sunshine could be bottled!

Yay for getting your electricity back on :0)

Heather Eats Almond Butter August 18, 2010 at 5:55 am

Lady Bug, Sending thoughts of sunshine your way. :)

Pearl Lee August 18, 2010 at 1:22 am

they look like delicious eats!

{ 1 trackback }