Bad Fats?

by HEAB on August 18, 2010

Every time I write a post on fats, people always respond that they love their good or healthy fats, but I think my idea of good fat is probably a bit different from most other food bloggers out there. Trans fats? Very bad, but saturated fats? Nah, I like them. :)

I used to use cooking spray oil, canola oil, Smart Balance, etc., but I haven’t touched any of that stuff in a while. (Does anyone else have a problem with cooking spray oil ruining their pots and pans?). Now I stick to mostly butter, ghee, and coconut oil for all my baking and cooking. I mean if you think about it, all 3 have been around for years, and were used by our ancestors…before the rise of heart disease or the obesity epidemic we have on our hands today. Modern day canola oil, cooking spray oil, Smart Balance, etc…they are all highly processed and have been around just a few years in the relative scheme of things. Wouldn’t you rather stick with the real stuff? I know I’m always HEABifying my meals, desserts, etc., but when it comes to fats, my rule of thumb is to eat them the way nature intended us to…

like real butter…

Yesterday’s breakfast: A few small slices of toasted Great Harvest raisin walnut bread with Naturally Nutty nut butters and one big slice smeared with butter and Trader Joe’s reduced sugar strawberry preserves. Butter and jam…really, does it get any better?

Or how about some bacon?

Yesterday’s lunch: Heated brown rice tortilla stuffed with mashed avocado, mustard, bacon, and deli turkey slices fried alongside bacon. Bacon makes everything better. :)

Dinner involved bacon as well…

Veggies stir-fried with bacon and topped with herbed goat cheese. Delicious!

I know, I know…bacon and butter are high in cholesterol. Coconut oil is nothing but saturated fat. They’ll all cause heart disease and are “bad” fats. I’m not going to get into the science here on HEAB, but I encourage and challenge each of you to question conventional wisdom when it comes to your health. Compare the way our ancestors looked to the way people in society look now…quite a difference, no? All I know is that my grandpa milked his own cows and churned his own butter, and there was no skimming the fat off anything. He worked hard and lived a long life. He was not overweight, did not develop Type II Diabetes, and never had heart problems. I don’t know…just something to think about.

I’ll leave you with an updated belly photo. 27 weeks down and only 13 more to go. The HEABlet is growing and kicking like crazy and now weighs over 2 pounds. I already love her so much. :)

Chocolate-Covered Katie August 18, 2010 at 5:46 am

Oh HEAB, you are glowing! Whatever you’re eating, it obviously agrees with you :) .

Dear Michigan,
You are so lucky to be in the company of such a stunning (both physically and personality-wise) lady.
I hope you know that!

-Katie

(Did I really just write a letter to a state? Gah, it’s too early…)

Heather Eats Almond Butter August 18, 2010 at 5:53 am

Katie, Just so you know, I’d write a letter to Texas saying the same thing about you. Hope you enjoyed your trip to NY – sounds like you did! :)

Jessica @ How Sweet August 18, 2010 at 5:49 am

You look fabulous!!
I love my fats, especially bacon. :) I don’t really consider any food “bad.”

Sarena (The Non-Dairy Queen) August 18, 2010 at 5:50 am

You look amazing! I agree with Katie! You are glowing! Enjoy your day!

Heather Eats Almond Butter August 18, 2010 at 5:53 am

Thanks Sarena – you too! :)

Nicole - yuppieyogini.com August 18, 2010 at 5:54 am

You make a good point. I hadn’t thought of fats in that way. I also use coconut oil, but try to avoid animal products.

Beth August 18, 2010 at 5:56 am

I love the belly picture. You look so happy and serene.

I am a fat lover. Coconut oil, grass-fed butter & ghee for cooking, EVOO for salads and drizzling. And of course my beloved avocados and bacon. Yum.

I used to giggle at my grandma who never trusted manufactured food. She always used to say “If God didn’t make it, I’m not eating it.” When I was young I thought she was a little extreme, but now I think she was totally right.

Heather Eats Almond Butter August 18, 2010 at 6:05 am

Beth, Your grandma sounded like a very wise women. :)

Gina August 18, 2010 at 5:58 am

Here’s a good article about this very subject: http://www.jigsawhealth.com/resources/saturated-unsaturated-fat

Kerrygold butter is my BFF! I’d much rather eat that than some processed margarine crap.

Heather Eats Almond Butter August 18, 2010 at 6:06 am

Gina, We LOVE Kerrygold! Oh my gosh, it’s so yellow and delicious, and I hear those Irish cows are very happy. :) Thanks for the article link!

Tyler August 18, 2010 at 5:59 am

I’m 100% with you on the fat issue. Natural sources > man made. Years ago, I used to use the “I can’t believe it’s not butter” spray. Yuck. Someone should have told me about Kerry Gold!

Heather Eats Almond Butter August 18, 2010 at 6:10 am

Tyler, I grew up on Eggo Waffles with spray butter. Still love the waffles, but now I stick to Kerry Gold as well. :)

Jill August 18, 2010 at 6:00 am

I agree – cooking spray ruins pans. I also agree that those items you talked about are yuck. I have moved to using more butter and less processed items! And bacon…oh I could live on bacon 24/7…why in the world did I ever stop eating it!

Heather (Perspective Is Everything) August 18, 2010 at 6:02 am

I’m so happy to have found my husband when I did. He encouraged me to start eating fats. I was still in the middle of that stupid, Susan Powter fueled no/low fat fad! Grrr….remember her? She lost all that weight and claimed over and over that “fat makes you fat.” No Susan, fat doesn’t make you fat it makes you FULL. and happy. and able to poop!
LOL.
i say that, because that stupid low fat fad left me constipated for 3 months! no joke.
anyway, so glad i started eating “healthy” fats.
I guess I consider healthy fats to be plant based. But there are some extremists who even consider olive and coconut oil to be the bad kinds. So, what, we shouldn’t eat olives or coconuts now?
anyway, looking so happy, Heather!! We’ll miss your inevitible hiatus once you have the Heablet. I’m sure you’ll still be checkin’ in, but you’ll be with the babe most of the time-as you should :)

Heather Eats Almond Butter August 18, 2010 at 6:09 am

Heather, Oh my gosh…I could NOT handle Susan and her spiky blond hair. She was just too loud and hyper for me. However, I grew up in the 80′s and 90′s and definitely got caught up in fat-free trends. The damage I used to do chocolate Snackwells. It wasn’t pretty. Thank goodness for wise hubbies! PS – I love to poop. :)

rachael August 18, 2010 at 6:04 am

You look great! The kicks are so amazing. Love the bump pictures, keep ‘em coming. :)

Taylor August 18, 2010 at 6:05 am

i love it when you do your posts on fat. they’ve seriously made me SO much more comfortable eating animal and dairy fats! really and truly, thanks!

Heather Eats Almond Butter August 18, 2010 at 6:14 am

Taylor, You’re welcome. Always happy to spread the love of fats. :)

Justine August 18, 2010 at 6:06 am

That is such a sweet photo of you!

I have been a little overwhelmed with all of the risks that each food/food group has now been proven to cause. As you said with your grandpa, he ate full fat and was still a super healthy person. I think that is just another example that no one diet is for everyone. I am just waiting for the day that apples and blueberries are proven to cause cancer.

Have a happy Wednesday :)

Carolyn August 18, 2010 at 6:10 am

“like Buttah….”

Love the Belly.. Did that happen since Sunday?????

Heather Eats Almond Butter August 18, 2010 at 6:12 am

Carolyn, I think the belly in that photo was about 90% goat cheese. Let’s just say I slimmed down a bit this morning. ;)

mayapamela August 18, 2010 at 6:20 am

You look radiant in the photo, lucky little heablet is already getting so much screen time on the blog in utero!

VeggieGirl August 18, 2010 at 6:20 am

Eating more coconut oil/butter has helped me a LOT lately – glad to see it’s still making you look fabulous as always; and the same goes for the little HEABlet :)

Heather Eats Almond Butter August 18, 2010 at 6:25 am

Thanks VG. :)

jacobc August 18, 2010 at 6:21 am

The last page of this thread especially gets into types of fats.

Maggie August 18, 2010 at 6:23 am

You know I am with you on this!!

Beautiful :)

Scott in Ohio August 18, 2010 at 6:23 am

HEAB’s, love to see this information getting out there. Maybe you can work on dispelling the cholesterol myth next? haha.

Have you been reading Micheal Pollan (eat real food!) on your Baby Moon? Or Mark Sisson (reference to conventional wisdom), perhaps? ;-)

Great post and keep ‘em coming!

Heather Eats Almond Butter August 18, 2010 at 6:29 am

Scott, Cholesterol – right, I actually have a few words on that topic as well. ;)

Mr. Pollan and Mr. Sisson have both had quite an impact on me if you can’t tell. Michael Eades and Dr. Kurt Harris as well. Some very wise souls.

PS – Do you guys have a favorite gluten free bread?

Evan Thomas August 18, 2010 at 6:30 am

I definitely agree that the more natural, wholesome fats are the best ones to cook with, and I usually do. But I have a weakness for things like smart balance canola oil and earth balance organic buttery spread when it comes to vegan baking; they just work so well. I do look for “organic” when it comes to those, whatever that means in their case. I figure even if they’re not the best choice they don’t need to be hydrogenated every

Kristin (Cook, Bake and Nibble) August 18, 2010 at 6:31 am

AMEN. In my opinion, NOTHING is more natural than cream churned into butter. Of course I prefer the organic stuff, so I know it really IS natural and not laden with antibiotics and hormones. But not only does it deliver a flavor like no other, it is a whole food.

And I don’t think I express my love for bacon enough. But my husband bought me a tiny pig stuffed animal yesterday out of the blue, “because you like pork so much”. Sweet? ;)

Then of course I do love coconut oil (also natural, good saturated fat) and avocado… buttah of the earth :D

I truly believe if we eat as natural and close to the earth as possible, we will NOT have as many troubles with chronic disease or obesity as we do now.

xo
Kris

Heather Eats Almond Butter August 18, 2010 at 6:36 am

Kris, Oh my gosh, love the little stuffed piggy – “because you like pork so much”. Hilarious and very thoughtful of your husband. :) One of my friends refers to avocados as “Nature’s Butter”. So true!

Kiersten August 18, 2010 at 6:32 am

I eat mostly unsaturated fats, since the largest proportion of my fats come from nuts and olive oil. I don’t get a lot of saturated fats in my diet, but not because I am ignoring them. Being vegan there are less saturated fats available to me. You look lovely by the way!

Heather Eats Almond Butter August 18, 2010 at 6:38 am

Thanks Kiersten. :)

Shauna August 18, 2010 at 6:40 am

You look so great, and I am so happy that pregnancy is not freaking you out. Quite the opposite, I’d say. You are so comfortable in it. I’m so happy it’s helped you be comfortable in a swimsuit because clearly you should be!

I’ve eaten butter for a long time simply because it tastes the best and it’s natural. Some time when I was in HS my mom decided she’d had it with margarine and started buying butter again. Thanks, Mom. In the beginning, though, I thought it was tasteless. :o . Where you have helped me loosen up is nuts and nut butters and avocados. I think my meals on Monday were about 50% cashews which is a bit overboard. But you have turned me on to good natural peanut and almond butter. I have purchased some unrefined coconut oil, bit I am not in the swing of that one yet. I just have to remember that you are done losing weight and are pregnant while I’m still working on losing it and need to keep the calories down.

Heather Eats Almond Butter August 18, 2010 at 6:42 am

Shauna, Yes, real butter is soooo much better! So happy to hear you are enjoying more fats, but yes, I’ve been enjoying them a bit more these days with the HEABlet on board. :)

Tabitha August 18, 2010 at 6:47 am

Oh President French butter for me, that on a slice of toast everyday keeps me happy.

Your hair and bump are beautiful!

Heather Eats Almond Butter August 18, 2010 at 6:52 am

Thanks Tabitha. :) Ate a big piece of toast with butter this morning. Why I feared the REAL stuff for so long, I will never know!

Chandra August 18, 2010 at 6:49 am

@Beth…I apply the same philosophy your grandma did. If God made it I think it’s a good fat. From the little bit of scientific research I’ve read fat found naturally in nature are more often than not broken down by the body differently. I know coconut oil is all saturated fats but once your body starts breaking it down none of turns into cholesterol…amazing, huh!!

Samantha Angela @ Bikini Birthday August 18, 2010 at 6:51 am

How do you know how much your baby weighs??

p.s. I’m learning a lot about pregnancy from you!

Heather Eats Almond Butter August 18, 2010 at 6:53 am

Samantha, From *What to Expect When You’re Expecting* daily emails. :) It’s just an estimate based on how far along I am, but so fascinating to hear how your baby is growing every week. She can now hear our voices, and if CD puts his ear to my belly, he can hear her heartbeat! :)

whit August 18, 2010 at 6:53 am

Look at your cute belly!

Heather Eats Almond Butter August 18, 2010 at 6:54 am

Whit, I know…it’s hard to miss these days! :)

lissa10279 August 18, 2010 at 6:57 am

you look beautiful, heather, and the heablet is going to be so gorgeous too!

Heather Eats Almond Butter August 18, 2010 at 7:02 am

Thanks Lissa…same goes for your little girl. :)

Allie (Protein Girl) August 18, 2010 at 7:12 am

“I already love her so much” total heart melter! Like real butter melting over hot toast? :)

Heather Eats Almond Butter August 18, 2010 at 7:16 am

Allie, Yes, like real butta. :)

Meghan August 18, 2010 at 7:19 am

You look great Heather–you might have to steal “Oh She Glows” for a little while.

I don’t use cooking spray, forever ago, my mom got my this cool thing from Pampered chef that you pour any oil you like into, pump it, and it creates a spray-Here is the link: http://www.pamperedchef.com/ordering/prod_details.tpc?prodId=610&catId=123&parentCatId=123&outletSubCat=&viewAllOutlet=

And I have to shout AMEN on the butter! I had toast with butter and eggs this morning and it was yummy, and I did not once stop to think about saturated fat. The way I see it, you simply have to balance it with other foods…which I strive to do. I am loving all these fat discussions lately, it’s very interesting to read everyone’s opinions.

Heather Eats Almond Butter August 18, 2010 at 7:25 am

Meghan, I have seen those Pampered Chef spray bottles! They’d be great for coconut oil, but it always hardens at room temperature. Guess I could keep is stored in warm place.

Eggs + toast + butter = always a classic in my book. Glad you enjoyed. :)

Amy @ Second City Randomness August 18, 2010 at 7:21 am

I stay away from the cooking spray and margarine as much as I can- I think it was Michael Pollan who discussed it for quite some time and raised some of the points you mentioned.

And one time my friend made the comment about how flies rarely land on margarine because they don’t recognize it as real food. And if they don’t call it food, why should we? Interesting…

I heart real butter. ;)

Have a wonderful day!

Heather Eats Almond Butter August 18, 2010 at 7:25 am

Amy, Really? Did not know that about flies. Interesting!

Kim August 18, 2010 at 7:24 am

Heather, beautiful as always! My bump used to change daily when Bella would move around. She was a preemie and super long, so my theory was she ran out of room! You look great! I found an amazing raw hemp seed butter @ Whole Foods here in Scottsdale last week. Yum! Sooo good! I found since adding that and coconut oil my craving for carbs totally went away, amazing hun? There is a nanner bread receipe I found on another site that is vegan and full of goodness. A new fave of Bella’s!

You know we are celiac here and have run the gamut of gluten free! UDI’s all the way. There bagels, bread, everything is SO good. They have dangerous looking cinnamon rolls in the Whole Foods freezer that look like Cinnabon ( frosting and all), and are not too bad nutritionally. We have yet to try, but I have heard they are good. You know the bread is good when a Mom last week @ WF was buying, wait for it, over 10 loaves!

I look @ my grandparents and my great grandparents and none of them were unhealthy, or over weight. They all ate fats and foods that today most would be afraid of. My great grandmother used to walk everywhere and enjoyed her homemade “coffee cake” and coffee daily. I know since removing everything processed from this house over 7 yrs ago, huge change in all of our health!

Heather Eats Almond Butter August 18, 2010 at 7:29 am

Kim, Udi’s, huh? Roger that – will try it when I get home…but maybe not 10 loaves. However, I could probably down 10 cinnamon rolls. ;)

I have some Manitoba hemp seed butter on its way to my house. Always feared the stuff, but I’m willing to try it. Just hope it doesn’t taste like a jar of dirt. You give me hope.

Hope you and your family are doing well…sounds like it. :) PS – Your great grandmother sounds very inspiring.

glutenfreemuse August 18, 2010 at 7:29 am

Congrats on the big belly!! You are going to have such a healthy and beautiful baby!!

One quick thing about coconut oil, because I was obsessed with it and someone mentioned the sat fat content. I checked it out and freaked! So what did I do? I GOOGLED!

Turns out that the saturated fat in coconut oil is a non-issue because it turns to a liquid at anything over 80 degrees. Sat fat from meats (red in particular) remains solid and causes cloggage of the blood vessels, but coconut oil sat fat remains a liquid in your body! No harmful effects!

Really calmed my nerves and kept my love for the coconut oil on the fast track :-)

~Alyssa

Heather Eats Almond Butter August 18, 2010 at 7:36 am

Alyssa, Yes, no need to fear the coconut in my opinion. No more freaking!

couchpotatoathlete August 18, 2010 at 7:33 am

Heather you are such a cute Mommy! What a sweet little bump. And the HEABlet is 2 lbs — so adorable.

I agree with you about the fats. I think that your attitude (what did my ancestors eat?) is awesome. I’m trying to return to that style of eating: natural, whole foods with minimal processing. That is why I love your blog — you always get me thinking!

Heather Eats Almond Butter August 18, 2010 at 7:41 am

Couchpotatoathlete, Thanks for letting me know – I love knowing that I make you think. Such a compliment!

Hayley August 18, 2010 at 7:35 am

I’m with you on using “normal” ingredients as opposed to cooking sprays, etc. My mom has never in her life used margarine, let alone cooking spray, Smart Balance, etc, and she’s 5’1″ and weighs about 108lbs. She doesn’t touch fat-free or low-fat cheese, she uses whole milk in her tea and cooking and everyone in my immediate family is very healthy (no one really overeats either). I think it’s a good way to live!

You are so darn cute!!! Can’t believe you’re 27 weeks already – is time flying for you? I can’t wait to see your little Heablet! Isn’t it amazing how you can already feel so much love for someone you haven’t yet met? That’s exactly how I feel right now – it’s so surreal to stop and think, “I have a baby growing inside me right now!” You really do develop that special bond…

Heather Eats Almond Butter August 18, 2010 at 7:40 am

Hayley, Your mama is wise – we should all take a cue from her!

Time is flying…well, at least since all that yucky nausea passed. I know, love my little girl so much, and I CANNOT wait to see photos of Baby C. She’s going to be gorgeous – I just know it! :)

thedelicateplace August 18, 2010 at 7:35 am

1. you look positively radiant!
2. i told my doctor to get me better so i could eat bacon again haha (current GI woes)
3. little known fact, a normal day for me includes 2-3TBSP of coconut oil goodness

Heather Eats Almond Butter August 18, 2010 at 7:37 am

deilicateplace, Yes, life without bacon…that would make me very sad. However, happy to hear that you’re able to enjoy lots of coconut oil goodness. :)

Jeannie August 18, 2010 at 7:36 am

I attribute my lack of stretch marks during pregnancy to my intake of fats, including avocados, coconut oil, and farm fresh eggs (yep – yokes too.) OH, and I only gained the recommended amount of weight and was back in pre-pregnancy clothes before my six week check up. I won’t lie… I learned about the fats from HEAB!

Heather Eats Almond Butter August 18, 2010 at 7:38 am

Jeannie, Such encouraging news – thanks for sharing, and so honored to have played a role in all of it. :)

Katie August 18, 2010 at 7:38 am

Heab!!!!!!!!!

U look absolutely beautiful! Such a beautiful pregnant soon to be amazing mommy!!!!!!

I cant believe the baby will be here soon!!! So exciting! TIme will fly!!!!

Maren August 18, 2010 at 7:39 am

You have a great point when it comes to which butters have been around forever and which ones are probably causing us problems… Anyway, I just wanted to tell you that you are absolutely beautiful! Your little HEABlet is so lucky to have such great parents!

Heather Eats Almond Butter August 18, 2010 at 7:42 am

Thanks Maren. :)

ilovefetacheese August 18, 2010 at 7:42 am

I could not agree with you more – we should not be afraid of whole fats. And yes, several of pans have been ruined by spray oil…In fact my most recent food network nonstick pan specifically says, DO NOT use spray oil on it since it ruins the surface!! How did I not know this?? So now I stick to EVOO and coconut oil. I adore coconut oil for protein pancakes. You look lovely dear!! Have a good one :)

Alison (Fueling for Fitness) August 18, 2010 at 7:44 am

Definitely agreeing with you here!! I’ve been reading “Real Food” by Nina Planck and she says a lot of similar things. While I had already made an effort to only eat “real food”, I have to admit I was/am still scared of certain fatty foods like bacon, butter and cream. But I am really trying to get over that fear and realize that I won’t get fat from smearing some butter on toast (which is, by the way, the best thing ever!).

And that bacon and avocado wrap picture? Heaven in a wrap! :)

Thanks for this post!!!

Alison

Heather Eats Almond Butter August 18, 2010 at 7:57 am

Alison, Thanks for reading it! :)

AllieNic (Frisky Lemon) August 18, 2010 at 7:49 am

Ditto on the saturated fat eatage! I love me some coconut oil! I’ve read in multiple places that it’s not the saturated fat that causes heart disease– it’s insulin sensitivity/metabolic derangement paired with high saturated fat intake.

brianne August 18, 2010 at 7:50 am

hi heather! after reading “good calories, bad calories” and doing some research on my own, i now know to not fret over “high” cholesterol, because it’s really VLDL that matters (not LDL, as a whole)…i frequently eat saturated fat because i know it’s actually good for me : )

it’s so refreshing to hear a “health” blogger talk about loving saturated fats!!

Heather Eats Almond Butter August 18, 2010 at 8:00 am

Brianne, I admire you for getting though *Good Calories Bad Calories*. I’ve read parts, but it reads like one big research paper, and I use it more as a reference book. CD was just reading all about VLDL the other day. So interesting!

Nicole August 18, 2010 at 7:53 am

I love you girl. I totally agree with you, and although I did have a time in my life where I freaked out and threw away all of the oils and stopped using real butter for a while, I have, within the last year or so, lovingly embraced them back. I’ve also stopped torturing myself with non fat yogurt and skim milk. Skim milk is BLUE for God’s sake! (Unless you get the Super Skim which tastes a lot more like 1 or 2% but I don’t know how they do it)
My cholesterol has dropped by 75 points in the last year too. I am down to 181 (from 256) even with eating nut butters, real butter, higher fat dairy, etc. And I have you to thank for reminding me of these things!!

Also, I keep saying it but you are looking amazing. I love his picture of you too :)

Heather Eats Almond Butter August 18, 2010 at 8:01 am

Nicole, Yeah, what we were thinking drinking blue milk all those years!?! That’s just weird.

Sylvia August 18, 2010 at 8:00 am

Omigod, your tummy is so cute! Can’t wait to see pictures of her when she’s born! And about the fats, I try not to use oil in my cooking. Typically, I don’t use any at all, not even when I’m cooking pasta in a non-stick pot (ehhh, let the pasta stick to the bottom of the pan – I’ll still be scraping them off and eating it, hehe). And when I cook my veggies, I just dump them in a pot of boiling water with a bit of added salt. I don’t like my food too oily or it gives me stomachaches and trips to the bathroom, embarrassed*

But I love the picture of you and your HEABlet – she is just gonna be soo adorable!

Heather Eats Almond Butter August 18, 2010 at 8:02 am

Thanks Sylvia – I can’t wait to see her either. :)

Marina August 18, 2010 at 8:05 am

You look wonderful, really. Only 13 weeks more? Wow.
Yeah, butter and jam are the best combo ever, I adore it.
I’m afraid of the fats a bit, I admit it, but I prefer using the real stuff, real butter, olive oil, whole eggs…
Now I’m even adapting to milk that isn’t 0.9%, and yogurt that has a big percent of fat too.
Swiss people don’t have low fat stuff :) )

Megan August 18, 2010 at 8:16 am

I totally agree with you about fats. After a bit of research and a few dietary changes I use real butter now instead of fake butters and fats. I saw results very quickly. My hair is thicker than it’s ever been and way shinier than it usually is. It doesn’t get as dry either. My mood is better too. I am happier than I used to be and have a much better outlook on life since using real fats instead of fake.

pumpkinscales August 18, 2010 at 8:28 am

OMG…you look so adorable. I remember those little kicks. I think you’re on to something with those fat comments. My dad was raised on a farm and fried everything in lard…he’s by far healthier than my mom who used margarine, low fat, etc.

Heather Eats Almond Butter August 18, 2010 at 9:37 am

Pumpkinscales, Give me lard any day over Crisco!

Brooke [onehealthycookie] August 18, 2010 at 8:28 am

Heather, I’m so glad that someone is saying this! I’ve been trying to convince my mother for YEARS that spray butter and artificial low-fat food isn’t the way, but she just won’t listen. I’ll send this post her way :)

Heather Eats Almond Butter August 18, 2010 at 9:47 am

Thanks for spreading the word Brooke! :)

Jenn (GH) August 18, 2010 at 8:29 am

I feel the same about fat. I eat butter every single day and plenty of other animal fats. Except I don’t eat bacon (or shellfish) very often but not because of the fat content. My original decision not to eat those animals was based on ancient Jewish laws and my faith (I’m not Jewish). Kinda of weird I know. I’ve been thinking about reevaluating that decision as of late but it’s been so long that I don’t miss it and I just haven’t found the time to do any serious research.

I agree with everyone else you are GLOWING!!! So beautiful!!!!

Erika August 18, 2010 at 8:49 am

I do use olive oil and PAM from time to time, (usually when I need a quick-fix) but I really love using bacon grease. It is so flavorful and yummy! I would be a terrible veg! :-P

Jenny R. August 18, 2010 at 8:49 am

Ahh I love it. Umm those canned spray things scare me…why is it in a spray can like wood cleaner??? What ever happened to putting a little pat of butter in a fry pan. I just got my mom to start using butter after using margarine since I can remember (ew). I can’t believe she felt it was ok to feed me bagels topped with margarine as a kid!!! It scares me that people are so misinformed about their fats. Anywhoo you look gorg as always! Your little one is gonna be a stunner ;)

Emily August 18, 2010 at 8:51 am

Nutrition is a very strange pseudo-science, and I’m sure most of the claims made by mainstream health magazines and Web sites will be thought of as ridiculous soon enough. Fats are fine in my opinion. I eat a lot of eggs for protein and the occasional slice of bacon, and plenty of nut butters. I just try to eat what tastes good, and not too much.

eatmovelove August 18, 2010 at 8:52 am

First – you are GORGEOUS! Seriously.

Second – great post. I’ve actually wondered what the best cooking oil is or what to use in recipes?? I have EVOO here…and I’ve used Flaxseed Oil too…what’s your opinion for cooking and in baking recipes then ?

AND SO RIGHT – BUTTER AND JAM!!! – But there is something better…Nut Butter and Jam ;)

Heather Eats Almond Butter August 18, 2010 at 9:45 am

Eatmovelove, I’ll use olive oil and flax seed in raw recipes or on salad, but NOT for cooking/baking as they don’t handle high heat temperatures well. You can read more about it here: http://www.marksdailyapple.com/healthy-oils/. For stir fries and baking, I like to stick to ghee and or coconut oil.

Josie August 18, 2010 at 8:52 am

i’m all about challenging the conventional wisdom of what we’re told is nutritious. reading this blog has helped me a lot of with that, especially concerning fats. ps- you are beautiful! and that HEABlet loves you, too!

Lindsey @ Sound Eats August 18, 2010 at 8:53 am

You look so gorgeous, HEAB! I can’t imagine the anticipation of getting to meet the HEABlet for the first time!! :)

Megan @ Healthy Hoggin' August 18, 2010 at 8:54 am

I totally agree about the fats– I’ve gone back to using REAL butter, and I’m never turning back!! I prefer to cook with coconut oil and butter, too!

Plus, cooking with a pat of butter reminds me of my grandma, and she was never fat either! :D

It’s so funny that you mentioned how GOOD butter and jam are on toast… because when I was little I used to think I was only “allowed” one topping for my toast– butter OR jam. Then one day my friend’s mom made me toast using butter AND jam, and I thought I had died and gone to heaven! I can’t believe what I was missing in my childhood! ;)

eatmovewrite August 18, 2010 at 9:00 am

Yeah. I don’t get the fat-terror. Study after study has shown it isn’t really fat making America fat. The word scares people and the media labeling good and bad fats doesn’t help.

I adore your baby belly. I’m so excited to get pregnant someday soon!!!! You’re radiant, girl!

Jennifer August 18, 2010 at 9:03 am

I heart veggies sauteed in bacon drippings! Gasp I said it! bacon isn’t bad for you, processed packaged sugar filled treats are : )

Heather Eats Almond Butter August 18, 2010 at 9:41 am

Jennifer, Yes, agreed!

Marcia August 18, 2010 at 9:04 am

Funny. I was over on another blog where she’s trying to cut down the % of fat in her diet. I told her to make sure she’s doing it because it’s right for her body, not just because she’s “supposed to”. Because some people do better with more fat in their diet.

I mean, if I could, I’d eat avocado for breakfast, lunch, and dinner. And a lot more bacon.

Caroline August 18, 2010 at 9:06 am

Let’s not forget to mention how important fats are for your brain! Brains are kind of made up of fat… I’m a big fan.
You look great!

fartygirl August 18, 2010 at 9:06 am

I got issues with fats. For my tummy, they are all bad. Coconut oil, butter, bacon, all included. Canola oil is one that doesn’t make me feel sick, strangely enough. I don’t know, I think we all have to listen to our bodies, first and foremost. :) I love that you are a big champion of that!

Amber at Berlin's Whimsy August 18, 2010 at 9:10 am

You look wonderful! :-)

I agree on the fats. I tend to stick with the ‘real’ and natural fats— the ones we’ve been eating for centuries. I haven’t used ghee much but I should—– especially for one of those veggie stir-frys! Do you buy yours or do you make your own?

On the cooking spray, I remember reading that some of the additives in them ruin pans because they leave a residue.

Heather Eats Almond Butter August 18, 2010 at 9:40 am

Amber, I always buy my ghee, but I really should start making my own as it’s so easy!

Efi@greekyogurt August 18, 2010 at 9:14 am

There have always been heart diseases, arteriosclerosis and diabetes. The belief that these are recent diseases is wrong. Even in Ancient Egypt the percentage was high. The difference with today is that these diseases would be met only in the upper class, because they were the only ones who had food like meat, sweets, butter. On the contrary the vast majority of poor had almost no food so never suffered from the particular diseases.

Also the problem with foods like bacon and butter today is that usually are not just meat and butter. Especially in bacon there are a lot of ingredients like nitric acid and dextrose, that can cause a lot of health problems.

nikkionlunch August 18, 2010 at 9:15 am

You look absolutely great in that picture, lady!

Great topic about fats and foods. I tend to like the idea of eat like your ancestors – try to stick with the naturals and the basics. Not the “healthy packaged” foods that are marketed. A home cooked meal of the correct proportions and smart ingredients is the best diet. It is okay to enjoy a cookie or a piece of cake, but do so in moderations. Also, try to keep in mind that ancestors did more work and probably walked around a good bit more than a lot of us. There are a lot of changes that many of us could make to try to live up to how life used to be lived and enjoyed. It would be a fun challenge for anyone!

annecalista August 18, 2010 at 9:23 am

I completely agree with you, I’m trying to get back to eating real foods. The fat thing is hard, though!
You look great and so happy :-)

caronae August 18, 2010 at 9:24 am

Dear Heather,

I. Am. In. Complete. And. Total. Agreement.

Love,
Caronae

Michelle August 18, 2010 at 10:00 am

I love the baby bump! November will be here before you know it. I am a new reader so I don’t know too much about the baby, but have you started decorating her room?

I think the real saturated fats like butter and coconut oil might be difficult for people that already have or at risk of heart disease. However, I definitely like to use the real fats too. I have coconut milk in some food almost every day.

Heather Eats Almond Butter August 18, 2010 at 10:06 am

Michelle, No, but I can’t wait. We started some home renovations over the summer, but I’m saving the nursery for last as I figured it would be the most fun. :) Will definitely post pictures!

Paige @ Running Around Normal August 18, 2010 at 10:04 am

Butter and jam is one of the bext combinations for sure – especially on warm, toasted bread. Mmmm getting hungry ;)
That picture of you is gorgeous! Such a cute belly :)

Christina August 18, 2010 at 10:17 am

Butter and jam is a match made in toast heaven♥

Your love of fats is inspiring me to loosen up on my fear of them. Thanks for being you :)

Heather Eats Almond Butter August 18, 2010 at 10:25 am

Christina, Welcome. :)

Devon August 18, 2010 at 10:21 am

It is my understanding that science is going back on the saturated fats are bad model. I personally am a fat fan as is my boyfriend. He loves butter so much he had me bring some back from France with me (the really good stuff). I am a long distance runner and couldn’t even come close to getting enough fuel if I didn’t rely on fat. I love nut butters, coconut, butter, bacon :) I agree with you, we should be eating things that our ancestors recognized as food. I am all about eating real food. You perspective is very refreshing.

Heather Eats Almond Butter August 18, 2010 at 10:23 am

Devon, I’d love you forever if you brought me back butter from France. You are a good girlfriend. :)

naturemadecomplete August 18, 2010 at 10:21 am

I love the way you think about food and fats, it’s so down-to-earth. There are SO many misconceptions about food, diet and health in our society today, and it’s nice to see someone with a flexible, balanced and healthful view on foods. You are an inspiration to me :)

Heather Eats Almond Butter August 18, 2010 at 10:24 am

Thanks so much Naturemadecomplete! :)

Angie August 18, 2010 at 10:23 am

Hi. Yes, you make a great point about processed foods probably being more worrisome than saturated fats (even though I personally don’t believe animal fat and/or protein to be harmless and am a vegan who loves your blog :) ). Refined/Processed foods and all the lovely additives that come along with them are the newer “foods” that were not consumed so frequently and in such large amounts up until a couple decades ago. I wish most of them would be banned! Most of the time it looks like you use animal products more as a condiment to your veggies and grains (except when you’re really low on iron, craving, etc haha), so I think you’re a great omnivore role model!

Heather Eats Almond Butter August 18, 2010 at 10:26 am

Angie, Thanks for still loving me…despite all the bacon photos. It does make a really good condiment. ;)

Sarah R August 18, 2010 at 10:24 am

Love this post! Definitely something for a lot of folks to think about. The HEABlet certainly is growing–too cute :)

Dorry August 18, 2010 at 10:25 am

I agree with you! And I’ve justy started using coconut oil and LOVE it. You are a beautiful mama-to-be. Keep eating what you’re eating. You are radiating health and happiness.

Heather Clark August 18, 2010 at 10:26 am

I agree with you…my grandma is 98 years old, lives by herself, and can still walk sans walker and is all there upstairs…and her main food groups are butter, bacon, and egg yolk. She will literally fix herself eggs and then make me three egg whites and will eat all three of my egg yolks and tell me I’m crazy and it’s the best part…

Heather Eats Almond Butter August 18, 2010 at 10:28 am

Heather, Ha – your grandma sounds like my husband! CD was always floored whenever I didn’t eat the yolk. It really is the best part!

Marie August 18, 2010 at 10:46 am

Love your blog; this is the first time commenting, I think! You look so beautiful; I think pregnant women are so beautiful! I have not always thought fat was good but am loving it now. :) I never thought about the sprays but will have to look into that now.

Heather Eats Almond Butter August 18, 2010 at 2:06 pm

Thanks for reading Marie. :)

BBx2 - Mandy & jR August 18, 2010 at 10:56 am

Heather, LOVE this post. Although I do have to say I am guilty for using Smart Balance…

Your picture just warmed my heart! It’s amazing how much we love them before they’re even here yet, huh?

I miss you! I hope I can get to see you before the Heablet is born! Love you!

Heather Eats Almond Butter August 18, 2010 at 2:19 pm

Mandy, Yes, surely we will see each other before November! We need a fro-yo date when I get back in town.

Gloria August 18, 2010 at 10:57 am

I love your fat philosophy. And you look gorgeous. You are going to be one hot mama!

My lunch was so HEABalicious today… roasted kabocha and broccoli all smothered in Trader Joe’s almond butter. My co-workers think I’m nuts, and I love it ;)

Heather Eats Almond Butter August 18, 2010 at 2:19 pm

Gloria, I would have shared your lunch with you – actually, I would have just wanted to steal it from the office fridge. ;)

Michelle (Housewife in the Raw) August 18, 2010 at 11:02 am

LOVE this post! I am all about fat in its natural form. I strongly believe in eating real foods – butter, animal fat, coconuts and avocado. All of the fat substitutes are so new and so very processed.

Have you read Real Food by Nina Plank? I highly recommend it!

Heather Eats Almond Butter August 18, 2010 at 2:18 pm

Michelle, No, I have not read Real Food, but it’s definitely on my to-read list as several others have recommended it as well.

Katie August 18, 2010 at 11:08 am

I wish I could eat all those fats, but only certain ones are cool with my GI tract it seems. But those, I eat in mass quantities, and I certainly don’t consider anything “bad”.

charlotte August 18, 2010 at 11:14 am

Gorgeous, mama!!! Love the HEABlet! As for fats, I totally agree with you. Reading Mark Sisson’s Daily Apply has made a huge difference in my thinking about fats. Plus the research just doesn’t support the saturated fats = heart disease hypothesis, no matter how ingrained it has become to most of us. I love that you are challenging it!

Averie (LoveVeggiesAndYoga) August 18, 2010 at 11:18 am

Omg it’s only 10am and I am comment 122 LOL. I knew the minute I read the title this would be a HOT Topic! ha!

I always tell people don’t think raw, vegan, this or that fad diet, think eating how our ancestors ate. As a vegan talking here, is it normal to eat meat evolutionary speaking? Yes, probably it is…BUT like once a month when the tribe killed a buffalo, you would eat some animal flesh…and then you’d walk hundreds of miles and weeks would pass and you would subsist on raw seeds, nuts, berries, grasses til the next kill. So is meat “natural” in our diet, maybe, maybe not, it’s vegan hot topic…but the thought crosses over into fat.

Natural fats like avo’s, coconuts, dairy/butter are all found in ancestral diets and you are sooo right, none of them (or wayyyy less of them) had heart disease, diabetes, obesity, etc.

I have always said to people, if you drink milk, you have to drink whole milk, all of it. If you eat eggs, eat the whole egg. Nature has components in the full complement dairy or in the white/yolk of the egg that balances out the other…you cannot cherry-pick, spin-off, siphon-away certain properties.

I am in full agreement…full fat, real fat, natural fat, and even if it’s sat. vs. unsat…WHO CARES. I mean really.

Love the belly pic and the sweet words you had to say about Heablet

Heather Eats Almond Butter August 18, 2010 at 2:16 pm

Averie, I love how you always tell people to drink whole milk and eat the whole egg even though you can’t eat/drink them. Wise words my friend! :)

Allison August 18, 2010 at 11:49 am

Your “I already love her so much” comment made me tear up!! I remember feeling that way about my babies while I was pregnant and even at 11, 8 and 3 I still love them more every day. You have so much to look forward to:)

Monica August 18, 2010 at 11:51 am

Yummmm….bacon……so delicious!

Apparently there is this steak place in New York that offers a bacon steak. I mean we are talking lean, pork, deliciousness. They get the hunk of bacon meat and just cut it thicker so that it is steak style and broil it and then serve it over a sweet and tangy sauce. Although I am yet to try this, I officially have my eye out for similar bacon steaks.

Heather Eats Almond Butter August 18, 2010 at 2:14 pm

Monica, Bacon steak? I’m on the lookout now too! :)

S August 18, 2010 at 11:57 am

I’m with you–I’ve just finished three weeks eating more Quebecois than I would normally–meaning, making friends with sat fats (I *do* so love cheese!). I missed avocado, but I got my fat elsewhere, and I’ve lost weight, too. Take that, old-school “low-fat” ideology!!

Janna August 18, 2010 at 12:24 pm

I can’t wait for the HEABlet to arrive! What a lucky little baby to have a mama like you :)

I try to eat healthy fats but I want to get even more into my life now! I don’t eat butter too much, but I don’t avoid it. I also use EVOO quite a bit. I get my omega 3′s from my eggs and fish! On my list to start incorporating more: Coconut oil, chia seeds and avocado!

Horray for FATS!

Quix August 18, 2010 at 12:26 pm

Even as a kid, I ate a diet naturally that was more carby, and less full of fats and protein. I enjoy a filet mignon or a hamburger occasionally, but I find that any meat I enjoy has to be fairly low in fat. Same with butter/oil – too much leaves me feeling bogged down.

I have tried to reintroduce the “real” stuff back into my diet slowly – we sometimes use butter (and honestly, on some things, I just like the margarine taste better), and have stopped using fat free cheese (that’s nasty), and sour cream. Mostly dairy.

I think you should eat the way that makes your body feel best. And you’re right – even thinking back to the 50′s – they ate bacon, eggs, pancakes, every morning and cooked everything with butter and lard – and we’re doing worse now adays with fat free sugar free diet food than they were…

40apples August 18, 2010 at 12:37 pm

I think it’s extremely important to remember what how our grandparents ate. Not only was it more nutritious and natural than most of what’s going into our mouths these days, they appreciated their food so much more than we do now. I try to be mindful of that every time I’m at the greenmarket holding a beautiful tomato: I am lucky to have this, and I will savor it. It’s a lot different that looking at a bottle of ketchup. :)

Heather Eats Almond Butter August 18, 2010 at 2:12 pm

40apples – yes, so true! We have it so easy today. All it usually requires is a trip to the grocery store.

Ana August 18, 2010 at 12:43 pm

I totally agree with you about the fats Heather. I just love butter, always did! My grandma used to make butter by hand, by whipping the cream she collected over a few days from milk that she got directly from the cow. I loved seeing her make butter, the globs of deliciousness would separate from the liquid, and become butter. Omg, best thing ever I have to say. She would always do this on the weekends when we were over visiting and she would give me a small container with a piece of that butter. I always loved butter and my mom had this thing that “margarine is better for you”, so mom would never buy butter, but grandmother would give me some of the best!
As I got married butter never entered my house and I have been happy ever since! My mom still eats margarine, is a bit overweight and has tons of health problems, I have told her to stop eating that cr*ap but she has in her head that it is better. Makes me sad that she doesn’t understand the goodness of real fats.
Same thing with avocados, I grew up eating them in Brazil. My uncle had avocado trees and would supply us with many of them during the year. Me and my dad would go to town. I love avocados since I was a child. This pas May my mom came to visit us and I was slicing avocados to put on a salad when she mentioned that I always loved avocados… I sure do! And I still eat them and always will! Not my mom though… I always fixed myself avocado shakes (yes, we eat them like fruits in Brazil, with sugar!!), or just plain avocados smashed with sugar, but really don’t remember my mom eating much of it.
I have always eaten butter and avocados! I never liked bacon though, big yuck for me.
Today my fats of choice are butter, olive oil and avocados, plus almond butter of course! That’s what I use in my salads, sauces and food in general. I need to experiment more with coconut oil, the one drawback is that I can taste the coconut flavor when I use it with other flavors and I am not a big fan of the constant coconut taste on my savory dishes. I do love coconut water though!! (another thing I grew up eating: coconuts and coconut water! glorious!)
And as Jeannie mentioned, I almost didn’t have stretch marks during my pregnancy, I didn’t have one single issue with vitamins/minerals or weight gain in my pregnancy either. I gained about 20 pounds and basically lost it all during the first 6 to 7 months I nursed my son. And I didn’t stop eating butter, that is for sure!

Ps: I like your “I love to poop” answer to one of the comments, I do too! And healthy fats definitely help in that department! (a happy person doesn’t have issues on that area!)

Heather Eats Almond Butter August 18, 2010 at 2:11 pm

Ana, I loved avocados in sweet smoothies – makes them so creamy! Oh, and one of my favorite guac recipes is from Gena at Choosing Raw ( http://www.choosingraw.com/my-favorite-summertime-lunch/). She adds stevia. I thought it sounded weird at first, but then I tried it and fell in love. Oh to have an avocado tree of my very own – I’d be in heaven! :)

Ana August 18, 2010 at 12:47 pm

I wrote it wrong: “When I got married margarine never entered my house”… I wrote butter… oops, margarine never got here, butter has it special place in the fridge.
Oh, and about the cooking spray, it ruined my glass baking dishes (pyrex). I once bought a can to see what the whole buzz was about (my brazilian friends were raving about the stuff, we didn’t have it in Brazil) and let’s say I kept it at one can only. My pyrex dishes (which are the ones I use the most) all got this brownish spots on them, I was never able to get those off.
Today I have a spray can that you put oil in and pump before using. I keep it filled with olive oil and use it to spray baking dishes, works like a charm, is better for the environment and olive oil is better for me too!

Jaaku August 18, 2010 at 12:59 pm

I’ve been lurking on your blog for many months now, but this is the first time I’ve actually decided to post a comment. Sorry Heather, but I completely disagree with you on the good/bad fats issue you so frequently mention. Every time I read your “Don’t fear the FATS, my friends!” tirades, I would always just shake my head, but I finally decided to share my opinion on the matter.

If you want to take the “eat as our ancestors ate” stance, you are correct, they did eat real bacon, butter, and ghee. However, do you really think the average farmer/villager/hunter-gatherer ate bacon or pork with every meal, as you seem to be doing lately? If farmers were raising their own animals, a pig would be slaughtered for celebratory occasions (weddings, major holidays), and perhaps once a season otherwise – the meat would then be made into sausages, bacon, etc. that would last a family for the rest of the winter. I know this first-hand, as both of my parents grew up in tiny farming villages in northern Europe. And if we’re talking about hunter-gatherer humans, a successful hunt that provided plentiful meat for all tribe members was not normally a daily (or even weekly) occurrence.

The bigger issue to consider, though, is the lifespan and health of these ‘ancestors’ – as I’m sure you know, the life expectancy even a couple hundred years ago was much shorter than it is currently. Farmers, hunter-gatherers, etc. were considered lucky to live past their fifties. It is thanks to our current advanced understanding of nutrition and medicine that we can now easily expect to live active, independent lives well into our 80′s. All of my grandparents (all from traditional farming lifestyles) died in their 50′s or 60′s due to heart attacks and strokes. They worked hard and were not overweight, but I have no doubt that their animal-fat and cholesterol-laden diets contributed to their health conditions. Your grandfather did not have heart problems, but many people of his generation did. And it’s well known that the traditional diets of the cultures with the longest-living populations – Mediterranean, Japanese – are notably low in consumption of animal fats and instead use vegetable oils and fish as their primary sources of fat.

The point is, it’s great that you are young, healthy, and active – and eating butter and bacon is not likely to cause you any trouble at this point. However, age and cholesterol build-up can take their tolls on the human body. Therefore, I can’t say that I agree with your blatant disregard of irrefutable science regarding the health consequences of saturated fats and cholesterol. I also think it is somewhat irresponsible of you to encourage this disregard in your many readers. It’s exactly this kind of ‘eat what I want and screw the scientists’ attitude that brought about our current obesity epidemic. And while YOU may be currently healthy despite consuming inordinate amounts of fats, this is an exception rather than the norm. So, while I fully respect your veggie- and yoga-filled lifestyle, I wish that you would encourage more moderation and smart, educated decision-making regarding fats and food choices.

Pearl Lee August 18, 2010 at 1:04 pm

the heablet is coming along so nicely and you look gorgeous!

marshell y. Roper August 18, 2010 at 1:08 pm

YOUR BEAUTIFUL!!!

GOD BLESS~~~SHELL

Joslyn @ missfitbliss August 18, 2010 at 1:09 pm

These dishes look very tasty!

missfitbliss.com

Gillian G. August 18, 2010 at 1:17 pm

I love your fat love! I still have to talk to myself a little and remind myself that fats are GOOD and not to be feared, and i just love your posts :) very inspirational. and yummy.

Heather Eats Almond Butter August 18, 2010 at 2:06 pm

Thanks Gillian. :)

molly August 18, 2010 at 2:08 pm

i love this post Heather. i agree, i think it is everything in moderation, life is meant to be enjoyed! which for me, includes eating fats in their full form!
you also look so radiant, i can’t wait until our little one starts growing and kicking too!
can’t wait to have you back in nashville! xo

Mary @ Bites and Bliss August 18, 2010 at 2:09 pm

I have a problem with cooking spray ruining my pans too..but that may be the pans fault to begin with if they’re just not as “nonstick” as they claim to be.

And your baby bumps getting so big! So cute!! :)

Danielle (Runs on Green) August 18, 2010 at 2:34 pm

I agree with you- I don’t think saturated fats are as bad as people think they are. Coconut oil, palm fruit oil, cocoa butter, etc. are all saturated but I don’t believe they’re detrimental to our health!

“Does anyone else have a problem with cooking spray oil ruining their pots and pans?” <– Um, YES. It's so annoying when you have an awesome non-stick pan and then the coating starts coming off!

Megan (Braise The Roof) August 18, 2010 at 2:35 pm

Yes, I could not agree with you more!! The most ironic thing is that “conventional wisdom” these days is exactly the opposite of that- it’s this new wisdom that we’ve thunk up in the past 20 years or so to allow us to eat more instead of better. I am always in favor of using the real stuff- for taste and health! Good post, HEAB :)

kaztronomic August 18, 2010 at 2:37 pm

You’re such a beautiful mother! =)

I love my fats, too. I love anything coconut, and if I could eat butter, I would, in a heartbeat. Back when I could eat dairy, I’d enjoy the full-fat kind, too — ice cream made with real, heavy cream and the like. :D

Katheryn August 18, 2010 at 3:14 pm

You look beautiful!

Melissa @ TryingToHeal August 18, 2010 at 3:16 pm

ah, you and the HEABlet looks stunning!

and i’m moving towards what you’ve just discussed. we’ll see how it goes.

Brenna Kater, the Oceanskater August 18, 2010 at 3:23 pm

I recently learned that the fat in breastmilk is like 55% saturated fat. It’s therefore amazing that babies aren’t having heart attacks left & right :P

Bring on the coconut oil fudge!!

Heather Eats Almond Butter August 19, 2010 at 6:11 am

Brenna Kater, Yes, I’ve heard that about breast milk. You’re funny, and yes, bring on the fudge! :)

Stefanie August 18, 2010 at 3:28 pm

I am glad you brought this up. The only time I eat processed fats is when I am eating out or buy a frozen meal. My go to fat is PB or almond butter. I would rather eat something as close to its natural state as possible.

You look great and are glowing. Have a great day. :)

BethT August 18, 2010 at 4:21 pm

I 100% agree with your fat philosophy! In moderation, there is NOTHING wrong with butter. And, buttered toast has been a major preggo craving for me.

You look great BTW! I’m just over 30 weeks and also feeling tons and tons of movement. Be prepared – eventually, those movements may give you a jolt as little one kicks you square in the cervix! I’ve been “enjoying” that this week. :)

Heather Eats Almond Butter August 19, 2010 at 6:45 am

BethT, Cervix kicks, huh? Sounds like fun. ;)

dcwright02 August 18, 2010 at 5:26 pm

Not afraid of the butter but bacon and deli meats are big time bad unless you spend the money to get em without all the preservatives and chemicals these companies put in the food nowadays. And the difference between now and then is people in the old days worked out for hours and hours all day long. They didn’t need to worry about calories and fat consmption. Thx for the post! :)

Amber@momsgottheruns August 18, 2010 at 5:39 pm

Heather! You look awesome!!! Such a cute little baby bump!

Sally Mae August 18, 2010 at 6:13 pm

Hi Heather!

I am a new reader and quickly becoming avid reader! Long story short, I am trying to incorporate more fat into my diet – SUPER SCARY for me because I don’t want to gain weight. But, my body stopped menstruating and I want to get ready to have a family…..so I guess I need more fat. I recently bought organic cream top yogurt for the FIRST TIME EVER!!! It is SO refreshing to find a blogger that really is trying to have balance in her diet and life:) Thank you…. you’re making it less scary:)

Heather Eats Almond Butter August 19, 2010 at 6:44 am

Sally Mae, You’re welcome and thanks so much for reading my blog. Cream top yogurt is so rich and creamy – glad to hear you enjoyed it, and I hope by adding more fat back into your diet that you are able to get back in balance!

Val August 18, 2010 at 6:28 pm

Hi there! I’ve been following along for some time now and just wanted to say hello!

I’ve had cooking spray practically ruin every pan and silicone bakeware. I just can’t scrub it out! I stick to real butter or coconut oil for everything now. The taste of something made in even just the tiniest bit of butter makes so much difference!

Cute baby bump :)

Heather Eats Almond Butter August 19, 2010 at 6:41 am

Hi Val. :)

nicole August 18, 2010 at 6:53 pm

YES! My cookie sheets look horrible!! I’m so embarrassed to let guests see me take cookies off them. Even though they’re clean they look really dirty. Your post was very refreshing. Oh, and you look beautiful. :)

Heather Eats Almond Butter August 19, 2010 at 6:39 am

Nicole, I know they’re a bit pricey, but I don’t know how I lived without my silpat cookie sheet liners: http://www.williams-sonoma.com/products/9342015/?catalogId=2&bnrid=3180501&cm_ven=Shopping&cm_cat=Froogle&cm_pla=default&cm_ite=default Totally worth every penny!

kristensweetly August 18, 2010 at 6:58 pm

You and the HEABlet are treating each other well, it seems. :-)

Recently (like the past week, and I think I know the reason!), I’ve been getting in trouble starting to eat reasonable amounts of fat, and then going off the deep end. In part, it actually might be because I’ve limited / restricted them too much in my diet. I should try to adjust to a regular, happy amount. Just like yesterday, everything in moderation. (And thank you for your kind words, my dear.)

Also, the main reason is because I just feel the need to eat myself out of house and home right now. Thankfully, I realized the issue, and it should be gone in 4 days or so… hahahaha. You’d think at this point, I wouldn’t have to keep reminding myself every month that it’s always just about the same. ;-)

Katie August 18, 2010 at 6:59 pm

I love your belly!! Only 13 to go…crazy!! Are you ready??

We had a staff luncheon today, and I was eating some delicious bbq beef when someone pointed out to me that it was SO FATTENING. I tried my best to tell them that fat is GOOD for your body, but it was to no avail…sigh. Maybe I should send them this post? Hah.

Heather Eats Almond Butter August 19, 2010 at 6:22 am

Katie, Am I ready? No, not really. So much to do before the baby arrives, but I know everything will fall into place. PS – Hope your coworkers enjoyed my post. ;)

Kayla August 18, 2010 at 7:08 pm

This is precisely why I look forward to each and every post of yours! Since I’ve increased my fat intake (natural, healthy fats) I haven’t gained an ounce. I’m tellin’ ya, you’re onto something here :-) Thank you for always encouraging us to think outside the American dieting box.

Heather Eats Almond Butter August 19, 2010 at 6:21 am

Kayla, You’re welcome. Thanks for always reading. :)

A Teenage Gourmet August 18, 2010 at 7:25 pm

I’m becoming less afraid of saturated fats! I bought real bacon a few weeks ago. *pat on the back. :) I did, however, buy my first tub of SmartBalance as well. . . it has a strong “butter” taste. I may not buy it again.

Ellen@FirednFabulous August 18, 2010 at 7:37 pm

Your eats look so yummy! Well…besides the brussel srouts. I have tried and tried to like them, but it just ain’t happenin’! And yeah, I remind myself that avocados are “healthy fats” every time I dive into a bowl of guac ;)

Brooke August 18, 2010 at 7:42 pm

I never comment, but had to after seeing an earlier one! I think that someone needs to read a little bit more carefully because if this isn’t encouraging “smart, educated decision-making regarding fats and food choices,” then I don’t know what is.

“Please keep in mind the diets I mentioned above did not work for me, but that doesn’t mean they don’t work for others. It has taken me years, but I have learned which foods my body prefers (at least I think I have), and I hope this post is of some encouragement to those of you trying to figure out how to eat for your own body. My advice: simply let go, trust, and listen.”

Totally agree with you! And think I’ll take my chances with the irrefutable science.

Heather Eats Almond Butter August 19, 2010 at 6:20 am

Thanks for the support Brooke!

Michelle August 18, 2010 at 9:37 pm

In regards to ‘Jaaku’s’ comment. In my opinion Heather’s recent talk of fat is refreshing and informative and in no way does she ever encourage her readers to ‘eat bacon every day’. If this reader were paying attention she would know that the reason Heathers blog is so popular is because of her healthy recipes and her journey into better nutrition. It’s been made very clear to me as a follower that her diet is what works for ‘her’ and not necessarily everyone else. I do nutrition counseling and obviously you’ve studied what you’re quoting but clearly you’re barking up the wrong tree here where moderation and healthy living are encouraged. The obesity epidemic is not because of a tsp of butter on someone’s toast in the morning or 2 slices of bacon on a whole wheat wrap. Chill out.

Heather Eats Almond Butter August 19, 2010 at 6:18 am

Thanks Michelle. :)

ida August 18, 2010 at 9:46 pm

bread with butter and jam=heaven in my mouth! I used to be scared of fats, but after being in other countries, eating butter every day and not gaining an ounce I came to love them.

And i agree with everyone else, you look amazing. love the HEABlet updates.

Laurie August 18, 2010 at 9:47 pm

You look glowing, happy, healthy & awesome Heather!! Continue to enjoy : )

Felicia August 18, 2010 at 11:07 pm

HEAB
I’ve been reading for a long time now (as you may/may not know from comments,emailing,etc). I have to say I love when you post about fats because it brings me back to reality. I have a very hard time with the calories in foods that are higher in fat. Im still trying to figure out what works for me. When I go high protein and veg with moderate to lower end fat intake, I see a change and weight loss. But, I’m missing the healthy glow/skin and enjoyment of those “fattier” foods, and when I eat a handful of cashews (ok, a few handfuls..) or a few tbs of almond butter, I start to freak because of the thoughts drilled into my head about the caloric content of them all. I know in my heart what is right, but its so hard to come to terms with it at times. When I ease up on my dieting and eat the fat without stressing about what I look like, I’m happier. Its almost like a constant battle with finding what is right. I tried the higher fat diet, but I’m an all or nothing girl and I think I just went overboard. Anyway, the point is, I think the way you approach your meals is very healthy. The amount of fats you eat (in my opinion) is healthy, and you are very educated. I totally agree with what is said about saturated fats in coconut oil, butter, etc. Our country has become this obese nation because of all the processed foods and sedentary lifestyles. All of this you know, but its good to hear you say it once in a while. Each time I have a healthy dose of almond butter and coconut oil, I tell my self that I am doing my body a favor. It is of course necessary.
I can continue on with this for forever, but the point is you are helping a lot of women out there [and I've said this before, and I'll keep saying it :) ]
I’ve definitly had my moments of going to unhealthy extremes, and your blog has helped me a ton, so thank you. You look beautiful, and your baby girl is going to be healthy and beautiful just like her momma. Looking forward to reading about your journey, you’ve inspired me to possibly start my own blog! Now I just need readers to follow :)

Heather Eats Almond Butter August 19, 2010 at 6:17 am

Felicia, What an awesome comment to read first thing in the morning. I can’t thank you enough. Please let me know if you do decide to start your own blog as I’d love to read about YOUR love of almond butter and coconut oil. :)

Mandie August 19, 2010 at 4:11 am

If you say I can eat bacon, then I’m going to go get some for this weekend. :) Hehe.

Heather Eats Almond Butter August 19, 2010 at 6:11 am

Mandie, Enjoy. :)

Alisa August 19, 2010 at 1:20 pm

Amen HEAB! Seriously, our bodies need saturated fat and it is ridiculous the way the FDA has labeled it as “bad fat.” hydrogenated fats are processed chemical creations = body doesn’t know how to handle properly. But saturated fats have their place and I don’t think most people realize how many foods contain saturated fats. Anywho, I’m a fellow coconut oil lover and eat other saturated fats also without concern.

Amanda @ Bakingwithoutabox August 19, 2010 at 2:12 pm

Love the belly picture! And the comments on the different oils. Very thought provoking.

Lara (Thinspired) August 19, 2010 at 7:24 pm

You know I’m with ya, Heabie. As we speak, I am sauteeing two pieces of bacon to cook brussel sprouts in for dinner. Two piece of bacon (split between two people, mind you) has two grams of saturated fat. Puh-lease.

Yup, my grandparents ate all SORTS of odd stuff,I’m talking weird Chinese stuff like chicken feet, but also more traditional “bad” foods like pork, red meat, and *gasp* rice, and they are slim and healthy in their late 80′s.

I trust you, and I trust them ;)

Heather Eats Almond Butter August 19, 2010 at 8:31 pm

Lara, I know – people FREAK out over bacon! Really, what is the big deal? Like you said, one strip only has 2 grams of saturated fat and less than 50 calories, but adds SO MUCH flavor. Try it people!!! Luv you. :)

Lara (Thinspired) August 19, 2010 at 7:25 pm

P.S. You look ADORABLE and gorgeous :)

Pure2Raw Twins August 19, 2010 at 8:16 pm

Love how you love your fats! Ghee and coconut oil are great fats to eat, we love them too! I got my boyfriend using them more, yay!! HAHA

Jon's Weight Loss Guide August 20, 2010 at 6:08 am

I have eggs for breakfast most days, and now I am thinking, I should add bacon more often!

Yesterday I had smoked mackerel with a rocket/watercress salad. Lovely. It is time for the low fat brigade to learn that sugar is our enemy, not fat!

Heather Eats Almond Butter August 20, 2010 at 6:22 am

Jon, I could not agree more!

Graygrrrl August 21, 2010 at 4:56 pm

I have to agree. Recent studies show that using real butter in your cooking is much better for you than margarine. Plus, have you read what’s in margarine? Trans fats for the most part! I’m with you, give me butter or olive oil any day (except those few days a week I try to eat vegan. Then I must give in to Earth balance)

Heather Eats Almond Butter August 21, 2010 at 5:52 pm

Graygrrrl, Yes, margarine = bad news. I’m all for the butter! :)

Lauren August 23, 2010 at 8:36 pm

Congrats on your pregnancy! I am almost 27 weeks over here with a girl too! :) I’m due Nov. 26th. I look forward to reading more from your journey!

Heather Eats Almond Butter August 24, 2010 at 6:11 am

Lauren, Thanks for reading and many congrats to you as well. So exciting – both of us having baby girls in November! :)

Danielle Charles-Davies October 3, 2010 at 3:30 pm

Heather, I couldn’t agree with you more about wanting to eat real food. For much too long the food industry has been trying to convince us that processed foods made in labs are better for us than real foods in their wholesome forms so that big corporations can profit (cheerio’s makes a whole lot more of a profit than an oat groat!). Lately I see all these omega 3 butter substitutes in the store, and they have hydrogenated oil in them! The food industry is too insane for me :) A great book about fats, btw, is Good Calories Bad Calories by Gary Taubes. Keep up the writing and delicious cooking :)

HEAB October 3, 2010 at 10:45 pm

Thanks Danielle. Loved the sentence about Cheerios vs. oat groats – so true! We have Good Calories Bad Calories on our bookshelf in the living room. Honestly, I couldn’t get through the whole thing, but I did read a lot of it. Good stuff indeed! :)

fooddreamer October 30, 2010 at 3:59 pm

As a pre-diabetic who controls her sugars with diet and exercise, I am all for the fats, as long as they are nature-made, not manmade! Cream, bacon, olive oil, butter, nut oils…all good stuff. Hydrogenated…not so much.

You look great, hope your little one isn’t keeping you up at night already kicking and making you pee! She will keep you up at night enough when she gets here.

HEAB October 30, 2010 at 5:11 pm

Thanks fooddreamer,
Yeah, the little one always wakes me up between 5 and 6 AM squirming all over the place. Guess she’s going to be a morning person. :)

Good for you in controlling your sugars through diet and exercise alone – I wish more people would realize its totally possible to do so. It’s amazing what a little butter and cream can do for a person – wish people didn’t fear them so much. Take care and thanks so much for reading!

{ 1 trackback }