Nutty Solutions

by HEAB on August 21, 2010

There are so many different ways to enjoy nut and seed butters…

Homemade raw pumpkin seed butter, TJ’s crunchy peanut butter, and TJ’s almond butter with oats.

Pancakes! Kabocha squash pancakes drizzled with tahini and maple syrup.

Peanut butter atop a yogurt mess with cereal.

IMG_1795_2.JPG

Roasted creamy almond butter smooshed into a banana boat.

Almond butter on a carrot.

Always a classic: nut butter with bread. Homemade quinoa bread topped with tahini and kabocha squash butter.

Naturally Nutty with butter pecan ice-cream.

201008210846.jpg

Almond Butter Sauce with raw zucchini noodles.

Naturally Nutty schmeared on a baked sweet potato.

Warmed brown rice tortilla filled with Trader Joe’s raw crunchy almond butter, bacon, and turkey. Amazing combo!

Great Harvest cinnamon raisin walnut toast with grilled chicken breast and Naturally Nutty Vanilla Almond Butter.

Out of sweet potatoes? A white potato will have to do, and I recommend stuffing it with Naturally Nutty Chocolate Butter Toffee PB and 1 square of Lindt 85% chocolate. :)

And please tell me you’ve tried mashed avocado + naner + nut butter in a warm wrap!

Please share: most unusual nut butter combo you’ve ever eaten?

VeggieGirl August 21, 2010 at 7:01 am

I put nut butters on EVERYTHING.

Heather Eats Almond Butter August 21, 2010 at 7:18 am

VG, As you should. :)

julie August 21, 2010 at 7:01 am

hahaha well i don’t think it’s weird but my family totally does. when i’ll have egg whites & overnight cooked oatmeal that turns chunky and then mix the two in a bowl together and top it with peanut butter (preferably naturally more or whole foods fresh grind honey roasted) and jelly of course :) it’s amazing and it’s what i just inhaled for breakfast haha

Heather Eats Almond Butter August 21, 2010 at 7:14 am

Julie, Doesn’t sound weird to me at all…nothing wrong with chunky oats. :)

Sarena (The Non-Dairy Queen) August 21, 2010 at 7:01 am

I loved homemade cashew butter on my oatgurt banana split! I am starting to crave oatgurt again…I think the fall (this is wishful thinking) reminds me of oatgurt since that is when I started making it. I am thinking some butternut squash pancakes would be mighty tasty with some almond butter too! Good to see you enjoying that stash of nut butters!

Heather Eats Almond Butter August 21, 2010 at 7:17 am

Sarena, I’ve been dreaming of oatgurt as well, and I want to make some when I get home…with cashew butter. Good call! :)

thedelicateplace August 21, 2010 at 7:07 am

not really that unusual but i love butternut squash with nutmeg and almond butter! i also love drizzling any kind of nut butter over Laloo’s goat milk ice cream in vanilla snowflake or over Tempt vanilla bean. mmmmm

couchpotatoathlete August 21, 2010 at 7:09 am

I still haven’t tried the avocado/nut butter/banana yet. I’ll link you when I do :)

Unusual nut butter combo? I keep it pretty simple: on fruits/veggies, on toast or tortillas, or my favorite: in a spoon topped with a little bit of strawberry preserves!

Lindsay August 21, 2010 at 7:11 am

I have found that I love the combination of cream cheese and peanut butter on cinnamon raisin bread. I dont know if that is considered weird, but I have seen people give me an interesting look when I am eating it!! :)

Heather Eats Almond Butter August 21, 2010 at 7:16 am

Lindsay, Not weird at all…at least not to me. I would LOVE it!

Ashley S August 21, 2010 at 7:11 am

Ok, I SO just bookmarked this page! lol

I think you are so cute with your preg belly. I’ve always had self esteem issues, but when I was pregnant it was an all time high. I felt so beautiful! I’ve never felt as good as I did when I was pregnant!

Heather Eats Almond Butter August 21, 2010 at 7:16 am

Ashley, Thanks so much. I love my preggo belly too. :)

Ana August 21, 2010 at 7:12 am

Maybe not unusual, but I love mi-del graham crackers smeared with almond butter and sprinkled with kosher salt! yum!

brianne August 21, 2010 at 7:12 am

i thought of you last night, heather – the franklin WF had the big jar of justin’s chocolate almond butter. ah-mazing. but oh-so-addicting. and oh-so-expensive. but clearly i thought it was worth the $10 anyway : ) definitely could just eat it by the spoonful – and i may have had a few after dinner last night! i’m looking forward to trying vanilla protein oats with some in it later today!

Heather Eats Almond Butter August 21, 2010 at 7:15 am

Brianne, That’s my favorite of the Justin’s chocolate almond line…and yes, I’d pay $10 for it too. ;)

Andi August 21, 2010 at 7:14 am

I craved peanut butter on pickles when pregnant with my first daughter. It remains a favorite. Sometimes that’s all that will hit the spot :)

Heather Eats Almond Butter August 21, 2010 at 7:19 am

Andi, Now that is one I have yet to try. Hmm, I love both – so why not?

Evan Thomas August 21, 2010 at 7:17 am

Peanut butter and barbeque sauce on tofu(I feel like that’s not too out there).

Heather Eats Almond Butter August 21, 2010 at 7:19 am

Evan, Nah – not by food blogger standards anyway. :)

Danielle (Runs on Green) August 21, 2010 at 7:22 am

Chocolate on potatoes?? You’re. A. Genuis.

I think the most unusual nut butter combo I’ve ever made was in a wrap with hummus. It wasn’t bad!

Amber@momsgottheruns August 21, 2010 at 7:22 am

GIRL!!! You are nuts with that nut butter! : D I’ve never seen so many combos! I’m going to try some of them! and what…quinoa bread!? that sounds awesome! Hope you’re having a great day!

Kimberly August 21, 2010 at 7:23 am

Those are some yummy looking combos! A lot of people may not think this is weird, but my kids do–I used to LOVE peanut butter and pickle sandwiches! My kids think that is totally gross and won’t even try it.:)

You sparked a hankerin’ for a sweet potato with sunbutter–guess I know what’s for lunch!

Heather Eats Almond Butter August 21, 2010 at 7:34 am

Kimberly, Another commenter mentioned that combo as well, and I can’t believe I haven’t tried it yet! Enjoy your lunch. :)

It All Changes August 21, 2010 at 7:30 am

I put pecan butter and strawberries with carrrots in a wrap. Pure heaven :-)

Heather Eats Almond Butter August 21, 2010 at 7:34 am

Cynthia, That does sound good I love pecan butter!

Rachel (tea and chocolate) August 21, 2010 at 7:41 am

I love grilled peanut butter, jelly and tempeh sandwiches. That’s probably the strangest nut butter combo I’ve tried.

Nicole - yuppieyogini.com August 21, 2010 at 7:48 am

I have a new tahini obsession. I like it drizzled over salad along with plain yogurt. Oh yeah, I also love to eat it from the jar :-/

Heather Eats Almond Butter August 21, 2010 at 7:50 am

Nicole, Nothing wrong with straight from the jar! :0

Nicole August 21, 2010 at 7:52 am

Yeah I have to agree with VG, I put nut butters on (just about) everything…I will admit I haven’t tried to plain baked potato with nut butter..but what I don’t use with nut butter I use with hummus so I guess it all works out :)

PS that pic of the kabocha squash pancakes made me so excited for fall–I can’t wait to make them again!

Gracie August 21, 2010 at 7:59 am

I can’t think of any odd nut butter combos I’ve tried, but I can say that I’ve been eating a heck of a lot more nut butter than ever! I’ve actually been wondering – have you heard about the claim that it’s bad to eat too many omega-6 fats? I know you wrote a post recently about eating too much nut butter, but I don’t think it touched on that topic. Someone sent me a link about it a couple of months back, but I must admit that I’ve been in denial, haha. Thought I’d share it with you!

Heather Eats Almond Butter August 21, 2010 at 8:04 am

Gracie, Yes, here is a post about it that I’ve referenced before: http://www.paleonu.com/panu-weblog/2009/6/22/fats-and-oils.html

I really try to balance out my omega 6 intake with salmon (used to take fish oil, but it’s recommended that pregnant women avoid it) and other sources of Omega 3′s. Also, I always choose butter, ghee, or coconut oil over vegetable oils for baking, sauteing, etc. as the oils are much higher in Omega 6′s. I’ll use olive oil for raw dishes, but usually in nothing else and never canola oil!

Betherann August 21, 2010 at 8:03 am

Peanut butter and pickle sandwiches! (Or, in my case, a wrap: http://www.kitchencourage.com/2009/03/peanut-butter-sandwich-experimentation.html). It’s surprisingly good. :)

Heather Eats Almond Butter August 21, 2010 at 8:05 am

Betherann, Haha – you are the third commenter to mention that combo. Can’t believe I’ve never tried it!

S August 21, 2010 at 8:05 am

chocolate + nut butter + potato? Fascinating!

My last roommate did a bagel + almond butter + onions + mango relish + cayenne once. The onions “brought it all together” apparently… :)

Heather Eats Almond Butter August 21, 2010 at 8:06 am

S, OK, now your roommate’s combo does indeed sound strange. However, I would definitely eat it! :)

homecookedem August 21, 2010 at 8:05 am

Oh my goodness… Heather, that quinoa bread with tahini and kabocha squash butter looks wonderful!! I would love to try that out. I’m so glad I like nut butters again!! It was weird and frustrating not to like them during that 1st trimester!! ;)

Heather Eats Almond Butter August 21, 2010 at 8:06 am

Em, Me too! So glad its back in both our lives. :)

Meg August 21, 2010 at 8:08 am

Wow Heather – I’m bookmarking this page for whenever I get in a nut-butter rut :)

I love love LOVE Medjool dates + peanut butter!

Heather Eats Almond Butter August 21, 2010 at 8:20 am

Meg, Yes! Always a good combo. :)

eatmovelove August 21, 2010 at 8:08 am

Oh my goodness. A foodgasmic experience.

Nut butter and jam on bread is THE classic to me.

But you’ve sold me on the ice cream and potatoes idea :)

Hmm…weird combo…I eat alot of random weird things…I’ve had it with hummus on a sandwich?…

vanillasugar August 21, 2010 at 8:21 am

ok girl i do love your combos! i have yet to try the bacon and nut butter. and the sweet potato. love how you think.

Krystina August 21, 2010 at 8:22 am

I loooove nut butter sweet potato fries. Mmm.

Heather Eats Almond Butter August 21, 2010 at 8:24 am

Krystina, YES, another good combo! :)

Gracie August 21, 2010 at 8:28 am

Thanks for your response! :) I’m going to work on adding more omega-3′s to balance it out, for sure.

Erika August 21, 2010 at 8:32 am

The most unusual nut butter combo I have eaten was a Peanut Butter, Apple, and Bacon sandwich! YUM! It’s a flavor EXPLOSION! :-)

Heather Eats Almond Butter August 21, 2010 at 8:35 am

Erika, I’ve never tried that combo – adding it to my list. Thx! :)

S August 21, 2010 at 8:36 am

The weirdest nut-butter concotion I ever ate was probably a sandwich of crunchy peanut butter, avocado and nutritional yeast. (Delicious!) Also, my mom used to make “peanut butter cabbage” which was basically sauteed cabbage then cooked with a lot of peanut butter. It was one of the most delicious things ever.
Your warm nut butter, banana and avocado wrap looks so good, I am considering recreating it for my lunch today :D Though I’m a vegetarian, nut butter with salty bacon (and in a brown rice tortilla–love them!) also looks wonderful.

Heather Eats Almond Butter August 21, 2010 at 8:41 am

S, The PB cabbage sounds like something I would LOVE. Moms are so brilliant, no? Oh, and your pb/avocado/nooch sammie sounds pretty darn tasty as well! Hope you enjoy your lunch later today. :)

S August 21, 2010 at 8:38 am

Oh, I forgot–my 9th grade Spanish teacher once said he ate peanut butter and tomato sandwiches, so I just had to try it :D It was actually quite good!!

Heather Eats Almond Butter August 21, 2010 at 8:42 am

S, Hmm, I’d try it. Why not? :)

thedailyoatmeal August 21, 2010 at 8:52 am

This makes me realize I have not gotten nutty enough with my nut butters– thanks for the great ideas :)

Marisa @ Loser for Life August 21, 2010 at 8:53 am

I don’t have any unsual combos, but you are sure giving me some great ideas!

*A question for you, Heather – I have adapted a “no sugar” lifestyle change. It’s been about 2 months and I’m feeling better than ever. I was wondering what you found to fuel you the best during your runs/marathons. There are so many sugared-up varieties of sports beans, Gu, etc., but I really prefer to do it more naturally. I have used dates, however, I wanted to know if you had some suggestions that worked for you pre-run, during and post-run when you were living the no sugar/no flour lifestyle! Thanks!

Heather Eats Almond Butter August 21, 2010 at 10:07 am

Marisa, Well, I lost my weight on a no-sugar diet, but I ate it back in my running days. My sports gel of choice was always chocolate or vanilla gu, and on long trail runs, I would pack small bags of salted nuts + all natural fruit gummy things – no added sugar, just fruit juice. If I started running again, I would probably fuel differently. Here is an interesting post from the Pure2Raw twins on what they ate while running the Disney Marathon this past winter: http://www.pure2raw.com/2010/01/disney-marathon-re-cap/. Hope this helps, and I hope you try some unusual nut butter combos soon. ;)

*Andrea* August 21, 2010 at 8:59 am

omg this post is the best ode to nut butters! i havent tried most of these combos but they all sound delicious

GetHealthyWithHeather August 21, 2010 at 9:30 am

I think I went to nut butter heaven just then.

Megan August 21, 2010 at 9:38 am

A baked potato with nut butter and…chocolate?? I think you are my hero.

I love mixing peanut or almond butter into sauces to toss pasta with- works really well with Thai inspired dishes!

Viviane August 21, 2010 at 9:44 am

Heather, you’ve got me too curious, I’m ordering some Justin’s Nut Butters online right now!!!

Heather Eats Almond Butter August 21, 2010 at 5:48 pm

Viviane, Enjoy your Justin’s! :)

Christine August 21, 2010 at 9:47 am

Wow, that last combo — wrap, avocado, banana, nut butter– looks AMAZING! Weird, but good. Putting it on my “must make list” especially since I’ve been on such an avocado kick lately.

lindsay August 21, 2010 at 9:48 am

wow, all these look soo good! My weird combo is actually toast with cashew or almond butter, melted cheese (cheddar or goat cheese) with a poached egg and an optional tomato slice on top. Told ya it was weird, but pretty good too!

Heather Eats Almond Butter August 21, 2010 at 5:49 pm

Lindsay, Sounds heavenly to me. :)

Michelle August 21, 2010 at 9:57 am

I feel like I’m pretty normal on the foods I put nut butters in. I am known to take a spoon to the nut butter jar though!

Carbzilla August 21, 2010 at 10:04 am

Great wrap-up page. I’m bookmarking this one for sure!

Liz @ Tip Top Shape August 21, 2010 at 10:16 am

I have yet to try most of these concoction but they all look amazing!!! I’m a little suspicious of the white potato one but I’m completely sold on the sweet potato one. I bet that would be delicious!!

zoe August 21, 2010 at 10:35 am

yay for healthy fats!

seeing others eat nut butters gives me a sort of strange comfort…i often find my food anxieties tell me “NO! put down the spoon and step away from the almond butter!” even though i love almond butter. and peanut butter. and all nut butters. and i’m slowly starting to learn it’s really okay to eat it — healthy fats work really well with my body. i just need to start learning how to separate “bad” and “fat” in my head. and in doing so, i will most definitely try out some of those concoctions! thanks heather :)

my favorite way to eat almond butter though? hmm…tough decision…hah, on anything and everything — i’m way too indecisive!

Heather Eats Almond Butter August 21, 2010 at 6:08 pm

Zoe, Yes, fat = good, NOT bad. :)

kaztronomic August 21, 2010 at 11:20 am

Mmm, I saw a few things I’ve tried, and got inspiration for a few more. :D I LOVE almond butter on a fried egg sandwich. So good!

Alyson @ Nourished Fitness August 21, 2010 at 11:22 am

I think it’s impossible to choose a favorite.. but it’s hard to top nut butter + chocolate :)

diaryofahealthnut August 21, 2010 at 11:22 am

I’m pretty basic about how I choose to eat my nut butters…lots of peanut butter + banana slices + cinnamon on toasted English muffins, apple/pear slices with peanut butter, bananas with sunbutter, carrots with almond butter, peanut butter on oatmeal, or straight-up with a spoon [or finger!]. I usually eat nut butter twice a day…it’s the best thing EVER!

Erica August 21, 2010 at 11:43 am

I like to eat peanut butter and chicken sandwiches! My family thinks I’m crazy, but it’s actually really good.

Heather Eats Almond Butter August 21, 2010 at 6:23 pm

Erica, You are not crazy…your family is totally missing out! :)

Taylor August 21, 2010 at 11:48 am

i love how creative you are with your food combos! i’m always trying crazy new concoctions, and your blog makes me feel less weird about it. haha. so thanks for that!

Heather Eats Almond Butter August 21, 2010 at 6:23 pm

Taylor, Welcome. :)

Averie (LoveVeggiesAndYoga) August 21, 2010 at 11:57 am

Omg this is possibly the most creative usage post Ive ever seen of nut butters and food! And I’ve seen dare I say thousands bloggers use nut butters around the ‘sphere! The potato w/ choc and nut butter is just awesome looking and so are the zuke noods w/ AB sauce…I make PB sauce and zuke noods. And I also make a peanut butter dipping sauce for fresh spring rolls. So I dont know if it’s too crazy or anything, but it sure is good!

Have a great Saturday Heather!!!

Mimi August 21, 2010 at 12:07 pm

Wow…my too-many jars of nut butter are no longer too many. Thanks for the inspiration. Hey, what’s a sweet-style white potato like? I’ve only had them savory.

Heather Eats Almond Butter August 21, 2010 at 6:21 pm

Mimi, The sweet-style white potato was pretty good. I figure I put chocolate and nut butter on plain oats, brown rice, or toast…so why not a white potato? However, I do think I prefer my sweet taters. :)

Erin August 21, 2010 at 12:16 pm

I LOVE making grain-free almond butter cookies!!
I haven’t perfected my proportions yet, but they involve an egg, maybe a third of a jar of almond butter, some kerrygold butter (optional, but YUM!), sweetener (usually a little palm sugar and stevia to make up the difference. I keep it low sugar), vanilla, salt and then whatever I feel like putting in them (cinnamon, chopped-up Valrhona 85% bars, nuts etc).
The batter should be kind of runny.I bake at 350 for about 9 min. I’m going to attempt brownies next;-) I need to do a blog post with a recipe.

Heather Eats Almond Butter August 21, 2010 at 6:20 pm

Erin, Please bring those cookies the next time we gather at Stephanie and Greg’s…brownies would be nice as well. ;)

Devyn August 21, 2010 at 1:09 pm

Uhm this page is heaven?! I love nut butters on everything, I am really interested in that homemade quinoa bread, when I clicked on it it went to an oat bread recipe. Is it the same but with quinoa flakes?

Heather Eats Almond Butter August 21, 2010 at 6:20 pm

Devyn, Yes, but I used whole quinoa – not the flakes. That bread is really good, but I haven’t made it in so long. I believe the original recipe calls for millet.

Laura August 21, 2010 at 1:18 pm

WOW!!! so many combinations!!!! VERY inspiring…the ice cream one looks the best;0)xx

Val August 21, 2010 at 1:22 pm

Thanks for that!

I’m a little weary of using nut butters in savory situations but you make it look so good! I like incorporating nut butters into whatever I’m baking somehow.

Heather Eats Almond Butter August 21, 2010 at 6:17 pm

Val, You’re welcome. :)

Kristin (Cook, Bake and Nibble) August 21, 2010 at 1:24 pm

These all look fantastic, though I haven’t tried many of them! I need to experiment more.
I LOVE nut butter & sweet potatoes/squash, though :)

xo
Kris

caronae August 21, 2010 at 1:27 pm

I’m in love with this post. I am excited to try avocado/banana/nut butter and turkey/bacon/nut butter.

I put it with everything. I love it on frozen yogurt or ice cream, as a smoothie topper, with yogurt or cottage cheese. Probably the weirdest thing was when I brought a Justin’s packet to work one day because I wanted to get a muffin for breakfast but I knew the empty carbs wouldn’t keep me full. Everyone was like, “why are you spreading peanut butter on your muffin?” A girl has gotta have her healthy fats!

My favorite usage though is with classic plain oats. Especially when they are vanilla protein oats with fresh peach and AB. Breakfast does not get any better than that.

Heather Eats Almond Butter August 21, 2010 at 6:16 pm

Caronae, I would have done the same thing to my muffin…your coworkers don’t know what they were missing! :)

eatmovelove August 21, 2010 at 1:41 pm

I like that you pointed out about different fueling needs for different people (i.e if you were running again). I think this is a big reason why people struggle so much and start these “band-wagon-latest-trend” diets – because they don’t realize everyone IS different.

Interesting about Omega 6′s…what do you think about the Omega 3:6:9 pills then for supplementation?

Heather Eats Almond Butter August 21, 2010 at 6:15 pm

Eatmovelove, Not sure what I think about the pills. I used to use a tablespoon of Udo’s oil everyday which a good ratio of omega fats, but now I simply and try and get omega 3′s when I can and stay away from vegetable oils to balance out all the omega 6′s I get in my diet.

Melissa @ TryingToHeal August 21, 2010 at 1:44 pm

interesting combo at the end. I’m not a fan of sweet and savory though…it just isn’t right! ahaha…at least to my tastebuds. they’re lame, i know.

Katie August 21, 2010 at 1:53 pm

I always want to try new things with nut butters, but I end up eating the jar straight with a spoon before I think of a new way to use it. No complaints about that though. ;)

Liza August 21, 2010 at 2:04 pm

avocado + banana + almond butter –> i must try this!!! And I’m a huge fan of those those Food For Life brown rice tortillas!
I’m not too creative with my almond butter usage but I love carrots dipped in it, and tofu dipped in it, and… really just about anything dipped in it. :)

Tina August 21, 2010 at 2:22 pm

You are so creative with your nutbutters. I always love it.

I guess the weirdest way I’ve used nutbutter was with chicken as a marinade. My favorite way will always be with oats though.

Meghan August 21, 2010 at 2:36 pm

Now I am confused about olive oil. I read the link you posted but it is still unclear to me? I use olive oil a lot when I am cooking and now am wondering if I should be substituting something else?

Thanks for all the awesome nut butter suggestions. I cannot wait to try almond butter and sweet potatoes.

Heather Eats Almond Butter August 21, 2010 at 6:13 pm

Meghan, Here is post you might find helpful: http://www.marksdailyapple.com/healthy-oils/ I only use olive oil in raw recipes or on salads as is not good for high-heat cooking/baking. For that, I use butter, ghee, or coconut oil.

Samantha August 21, 2010 at 3:25 pm

I can’t wait to try naturally nutty, sometime, when I can find it in a store instead of paying ridiculous shipping on it.

My most unusual nut butter eats would probably be the marinutta sauce but it’s one of my favorites…wonderful stuff!

Heather Eats Almond Butter August 21, 2010 at 6:11 pm

Sam, I totally forgot to include Marinutta in this post. Your’e right – it’s wonderful stuff!

Zeus' Mom @ the frugal nest August 21, 2010 at 4:07 pm

It’s not exactly a weird combo but I LOVE marshmallows with PB and chocolate chips.

Leah August 21, 2010 at 4:30 pm

Im interested in which brand/kind of chocolate chips you buy?
Ya know Im all about the details :-)
Ive gotta stop buying the big dark chocolate bars (I cannot be trusted with chocolate bars in my house!)

Ive still got 3 jars of Peanut butter in my pantry – once those are gone Im buying some Nut butters! The combinations look awesome!

Heather Eats Almond Butter August 21, 2010 at 6:10 pm

Leah, My favorite chocolate chips are the 60% Ghiradelli – they are so much bigger than the other chocolate chips out there.. Love them, and CD likes the milk chocolate version.

wendy @ ABCs and Garden Peas August 21, 2010 at 6:52 pm

Oh, you put me to shame. I got nothin’.

But I do love a nutty sweet potater!

Laurie August 21, 2010 at 7:24 pm

MaraNatha’s No Stir Almond Butter spread on a plain egg white omelet along w/SF Strawberry jam. Oh, so yummy!! I also use Reduced Fat PButter in place of Almond Butter.

ilovefetacheese August 21, 2010 at 7:29 pm

why would you do this to me? I’m salivating …LOL :)

Heather Eats Almond Butter August 21, 2010 at 7:33 pm

I love feta, My job is done. Hehe. ;)

kristensweetly August 21, 2010 at 8:17 pm

Definitely the wrap from last week: crispy almond butter, Crofter’s Asia, and avocado, on a high-fiber tortilla! Also, nut butter on top of a bowl of pumpkin oats – I considered the two flavors might not go well together. Obviously, I was mistaken.

My absolute downfall of nut butter love this week has been passing by the kitchen and just dunking a spoon straight into the jar while hovering in the fridge.

Sarah August 21, 2010 at 8:55 pm

My most unusual combo might be kale, shredded carrots, golden raisins, banana, and nut butter in a tortilla. I totally enjoyed it.

Rachael August 21, 2010 at 9:23 pm

This was quite the ode to nut butters! Love it!
I’m a fan of spinach, goat cheese and almond butter. With a drizzle of honey and a sprinkling of blueberries. Random, I know.

Emilia August 21, 2010 at 9:55 pm

Goodness, I have tried everything when it comes to nut butters– I get made fun of, too, but I don’t care :) It tastes good to me and I’m not changing for anyone.

There is ENDLESS ways to use your nut butters. Love, love, love it.

Ashley August 22, 2010 at 12:27 am

As a kid…the only thing my parents could do to make me eat a hamburger was by topping it with PEANUT BUTTER!! If I remember correctly, it was something my dad did in camp I think? Either way…I haven’t had it for over a decade…but something about it was delicious. :)

Heather Eats Almond Butter August 22, 2010 at 5:57 am

Ashley, I can see how that would be good – like a burger with peanut sauce. I think I would love it actually. :)

runningaroundnormal August 22, 2010 at 5:50 am

I haven’t tried SO many of those! I haven’t even tried nut butter on a sweet potato. I know I know!

missymiller August 25, 2010 at 1:57 pm

Oh sheesh … where to begin. Better to ask what nut butter combos I would absolutley not try (as long as they are healthy and pescatarian I am drawing a blank!).

I am glad to have found fellow pickle and peanut butter lovers. Never met another in person.

Another strange fetish? Sweet vidalia onions (raw) dipped in PB.
Love shrimp in cashew butter or peanut…poached eggs with peanut butter…

Love your blog!
~Missy

Heather Eats Almond Butter August 25, 2010 at 4:32 pm

Missy, Raw onion in PB Another one I have to try, but I love shrimp and eggs with almond butter. Ate a big scramble mess in the waning chipotle almond butter jar not too long ago. Amazing: http://heathereatsalmondbutter.com/2009/12/01/need-a-bit-of-spice-in-your-life/ I think you and I would be good friends. :)

Zuzia February 9, 2011 at 8:45 pm

Avocado and Banana just sounds dangerous!:)

{ 2 trackbacks }